Map of Cadentia

A place for the players and staff to communicate, share ideas, report bugs, make suggestions, and build our community.

Moderator: Staff

Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Map of Cadentia

Post by Michelle Montoya »

Hello RoD Community!

With The Wilds map project finished, we are moving onto a map Cadentia. Before I begin this project, I have a couple of questions for the community.
  1. What is your overall vision of Cadentia? One paragraph or less.
  2. How do you imagine the overall city-planning to look like? Feel free to drop in real or fantasy maps as ideas.
  3. What major features should be highlighted -- what stands out? Describe them to me.
  4. Style of map. Do you prefer something that is isometric like The Wilds and the overall Twilight Isle or top-down like RhyDin and The Gloaming District.

As a primer, this is the description from settings page.
    Cadentia is an outpost at the edge of the desert, a relatively short trip with a shuttle from the Anchor — longer by horse, car, or camel. It is a settlement ringed by a patchwork mosaic of crumbling walls that bear testimony to the civilizations that built it. There is a main gate, but the caravanserai take a different route, passing through a humble limestone arch to the two-mile lane they call the Cadentia Bazaar.

The bazaar is flanked by stalls and storefronts, tents and mats where they sell goods from far across the desert and all across the Multiverse. There are valuable parts and repaired appliances scavenged from the desert, bustling livestock auctions, and rare spices from far-flung realms among the market’s many offerings. New visitors and old residents alike gather in two favourite establishments: Azif’s Tea Garden and Cadentia’s Cultural Centre.
    Feel free to post your thoughts here, or contact me directly on Discord (Anne Ellis#0253), or send a message to any of our Roleplay Team (Mallory, Ebon, Anya, Morgan LaFey).
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Re: Map of Cadentia

Post by BardGallant »

Michelle Montoya wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:36 am Style of map. Do you prefer something that is isometric like The Wilds and the overall Twilight Isle or top-down like RhyDin and The Gloaming District.
#1 for my personal preference, I'd like it to look as much like the rest of the Rhydin map as possible. I like things uniform. As Cadentia is one of the districts that a barony can be won from, I'd like to see its map match as much as possible to the other district maps that we already have. With maybe even a link added into the main Rhydin map to bring it up like the close-up views already do.

Key features I would like to see:
  • The Desert Gate Tower that was featured during the Desert Sky Festival, a super fun event that left lasting memories with me.
  • The Cadentia Baronial Villa, of course.
  • With their permission, I'd really love to see Mallory and Eri's Riad Alhazu on there.
  • Obviously, the bazaar, Azif’s Tea Garden and Cadentia’s Cultural Centre.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

BardGallant wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:45 am #1 for my personal preference, I'd like it to look as much like the rest of the Rhydin map as possible. I like things uniform. As Cadentia is one of the districts that a barony can be won from, I'd like to see its map match as much as possible to the other district maps that we already have. ...
As a comment. We've kicked around the idea of redoing the main Rhydin map. If we can find a tool that will accommodate the same level of detail. For one thing, it would be nice to expand out NewHaven a little bit. Second, it would be nice to have an original source file map that we can make edits to again.

Some of the newer maps, I think, are useful in that we get a little practice with what we can do, what a new main map *could* look like, etc.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Jake wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:58 pm As a comment. We've kicked around the idea of redoing the main Rhydin map. If we can find a tool that will accommodate the same level of detail. For one thing, it would be nice to expand out NewHaven a little bit. Second, it would be nice to have an original source file map that we can make edits to again.

Some of the newer maps, I think, are useful in that we get a little practice with what we can do, what a new main map *could* look like, etc.
Yeah, and that's cool! I'm an old, set in my ways, don't like change kind of person, but I totally understand how it's probably very not feasible to use the same old system. If it could be done where it doesn't drastically change the layout and general location of where things are now, as I have them programmed in my head to be after so many years of use for reference, that would be awesome! If not, I'll adapt. It just might take me a couple years, lol!
Anubis Karos
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Anubis Karos »

Will the desert beyond Cadentia be mapped as well?
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

The primary focus is the border-town itself. However, I am open to doing a 'regional' isometric map that notes key locations beyond the border town, which drifts off into a fog-of-war allowing for custom settings, player-driven locations etc. that are 'off screen'.

We could then implement Dris suggestion where you click on the border town and it 'zooms in' to a top-down view similar to our RhyDin districts.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

A sample of the top-down buildings

Just so there's an idea of what the top-down aesthetic might look like...

Here is a sample picture of the icon sets as-is:

And a sample picture of the same set with random edits to hue, saturation, and brightness:

Return to “Community Townhall”