Professional Attire

Moderator: DUEL Tex

Querylon
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Professional Attire

Post by Querylon »

Boots had found a way in. He always did. Now he was daintily picking his steps around Querylon’s head. He paused, and then flopped down on the pillow. The mostly black feline proceeded to lick his gray-banded paw, producing the exact amount of noise required that would have her off his pillow by the time he was ready to stretch out.

“Good morning, Boots.” Querylon’s greeting held surprise. She sat up with a bemused smile on her lips. “You did come up with a new way of playing rooster. I am impressed.” She took the time to thoroughly scratch all the spots he liked to have scratched before she left Boots to nap on her pillow while she got ready for the day.

Clothes’s shopping was on Querylon’s program for this morning. The thought held excitement and hurried Querylon through her morning routine. She hoped she could find proper work clothes before Robert remembered she should have them. There were only a few days left before the Jasmine would open its doors to customers and this afternoon she would meet the other girls. They girls would certainly make a dress rehearsal out of this, Querylon suspected. The prospect was daunting. Acquiring the proper clothes had become an urgent priority. Koyliak’s boutique had been recommended to he. She would go there first.

Querylon picked up her shopping basket she had readied the previous evening and wondered for the umpteenth time just how many of these papers Dustin had given her it would take to trade for the clothes she needed and if she had packed enough of them. Just in case they would prove of use, she also had packed a couple jars of ‘straw to silk’ into the basket.

It was still early when Querylon left the house. A wriggle of her cute nose brought her to the Outback and shortened her walk to Koyliak’s boutique considerably. The directions that she was given to find the shop proved to be good ones. Querylon slowed her steps as she approached the storefront.
Koyliak
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fashion Police

Location: The Heavenly Boutique - Where Dreams Become Realities

Post by Koyliak »

"Koy dear, how do you ever expect to get that nice…what was he…a lieutenant?" Sonia Williams paused mid-nag, reaching for a fresh fruit tart while she awaited a response.

"That's colonel. Weren't you listening to anything the man said, Sonia?" Lillian Smythe corrected the plump woman to her right, snatching the pastry from her hand. "You know your doctor said you have to cut back," the petite silver-haired woman chided.

"Contrary to your looks, you're not old enough to be my mother," Sonia huffed, taking a huge bite out of a new tart before Lillian could do anything about it.

"And you're too old to be sneaking treats."

Sonia also was too old to be rolling her eyes, but that did not stop her. "As I was saying," she started again, returning her attention to the preferred nagging target, "how will you get that nice colonel to marry you if you insist on spending all your leisure time brawling and hanging out with a bunch of violent brutes?"

Koy stifled a laugh as she returned from the kitchen with a fresh pot of tea. While The Heavenly Boutique served as an upscale clothing store for most of its patrons, the two elderly women and their absent cohort Esther used the location as headquarters for their daily meetings, or pecking parties as Koy called them. The variety of women coming in and out with gossip to trade (or make on a good day) along with Koy's open and working kitchen made the spot ideal for the 'old biddies,' the term coined by the shopkeeper for referring to the three. The extremely comfortable, overstuffed couches didn't hurt, either.

"Tha 'nice colonel' happens ta run those brawlin' rings. Ye could almost consider him a ring leader fer the 'violent brutes,'" Koy teased, pouring the steaming chamomile tea into their cups. Their voiced displeasure over her pastimes was nothing new; she knew they meant well, in their own stuffy way. "Besides, who in the Void said I'm lookin' ta get married?"

Lillian and Sonia exchanged knowing looks, reunited in their perpetual belief that Koy simply did not have her priorities straight.

"I hate to be the one to say it," Lillian began, but Koy cut her off at the pass with an amused grin.

"Then don't say it."

"You're not getting any younger," she continued, although it was a speech Koy already knew by heart.

"Neither are ye. Lemme save ye the breath so ye can use it ta squawk 'bout somethin' new. As much as ye'd love ta see me chained ta the stove, barefoot and barely able ta see over my pregnant belly, it's not gonna happen. 'Sides, who's gonna know ta put 'xactly one and a half spoonfuls of sugar and the smallest splash of milk in yer tea iffn I have rugrats ta worry 'bout?" Koy demonstrated her in-depth knowledge of the woman's tea preferences as she spoke.

"And don't forget, ye'd have ta not only find a new place ta loiter, but also a new person ta harp ta near death. One who'll cook fer ye no less." Lillian's and Sonia's in sync 'tsks' ended the argument as they knew they had reached a dead end with the elf for the umpteenth time.
Koyliak "The BobCrusher" VanDuran-Simon
Owner of the Heavenly Boutique
Querylon
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Querylon »

((Written by Querylon and Koyliak))

Querylon glanced through the window in passing and was positively surprised to see tea being served to two ladies that had to be customers. Mayhap purchasing clothes was not all that different in the modern part of town from what she was familiar with. The thought put a smile on her lips as she opened the door and entered the boutique.

The chiming of the bells adorning the door caused the elderly women to turn their admonishing looks away from Koy and stare at the newcomer, having expected to see the blue-tinged head of Esther. Although they awaited the arrival of the last member of their trio, they were pleasantly surprised to see an unfamiliar face. Fresh meat.

"Haven't seen her around, have you?" Sonia nudged Lillian with her pudgy elbow, speaking in a terribly loud whisper.

"Not that I remember. She came to the right place though, that dress is rather outdated for someone that young." Lillian leaned in to add, her voice lower than Sonia's but making no effort to conceal her staring at the woman.

The words were meant to be overheard and to sting. But Querylon was brought up to mind her manners no matter what, so she offered a polite nod of greeting to the elderly ladies before turning to the younger one and offering her the same courtesy with a shy smile.

The two were about to continue their commentary unabashedly until Koy shot them a stern look, her forest-green eyes narrowed. They both avoided her gaze, knowing they would do well to stay on the shopkeeper's good side if they wanted their mid-day cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches later.

"So good ta have someone actually here fer the merchandise," Koy smiled over at Querylon after throwing another pointed look at the elderly women, now quietly sipping their tea, content to eavesdrop and watch for the moment. Hoping the woman hadn't paid much attention to the pair, Koy ushered her over to an overstuffed chair before she could object.

"Take a load off. Would ye like somethin' ta eat or drink?" Waving a hand at the platter set out on the coffee table, which was made of glass with an aquarium filled with tropical fish as the base. The young woman nodded at the offer but made no move to act upon it for the moment. Koy's smile was extra-friendly, wanting to make up for the rudeness of the biddies.

"My name's Koy and this is my shop. Pay no mind ta those two useless lumps over there," Lillian and Sonia gave the obligatory huff at the flattering introduction, Sonia especially peeved at the reference, "and tell me wha' it is I can do fer ye today."

While waiting for a reply, Koy looked Querylon over, involuntarily taking in her size and coloring as she began to make a mental list of items that would suit her. Tilting her head to the left, she regarded the woman for longer than would probably seem appropriate, but she was trying to place her. "Ye look familiar....have we met before?"

Koy’s smile and jovial words put Querylon at ease and she pushed the elderly ladies firmly from her mind. “We have not been introduced, but I have seen you from afar at the Outback. My name is Querylon.” Noting the light of recognition was still absent from her opposite’s eyes, she added. “I am not one of the brawlers. Sword fencing is more to my abilities, but I do enjoy to watch the unarmed combatants fight.”

"Ah yes, tha'd be it. Ye fought in the duelin' league." Koy continued to listen as she moved towards one of the clothing racks, her fingers trailing over the wide assortment of colorful garments.

“I am to start a new position within a week’s a time and am in need of a whole new wardrobe befitting the Wild Jasmine’s hostess. The Wild Jasmine is a classy nightclub for men. So I will need to look the part, but not so tempting as to be mistaken as one of the lady companions.” Querylon’s look was guardedly hopeful.
Koyliak
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fashion Police

Location: The Heavenly Boutique - Where Dreams Become Realities

Post by Koyliak »

((Written by Koyliak and Querylon))

As though participating in the dueling rings wasn't bad enough, Querylon's mention of her new occupation caused a stir amongst the previously quiet elderly women. It was at this time that their third companion entered the store. Esther barely had a chance to greet Koy, stare the new customer down, and pop a truffle in her mouth before Sonia yanked the woman to the couch.

"What are you trying to do, break an old lady in half?" A bewildered Esther chided her friend.

"She needs clothing to work at the Wild Jasmine." Sonia declared as though that were enough explanation, turning to stare at Querylon.

Esther gasped, covering her mouth and looking in the same direction with a mixture of shock and pity on her wrinkled face. "But she doesn't look like she fits into a whore house." Esther was always the kindest of the three, though that didn't say much.

"Must be why she needs new clothes," Lillian said flatly.

Koy had heard of the "classy nightclub" but in much harsher terms than Querylon chose. Still, she was not one to judge. It almost pleased her more to see how perturbed the old biddies were at the mention.

"Some of us have ta work, ye know." This came from Koy, a maternal sterness to her tone. "I think I can find ye somethin' tha' ye'll be able ta work with." Pretending the previous discussion never happened, Koy smiled once more at Querylon as she went through the racks, pulling out several pieces.

Querylon released a breath that she had not been aware she was holding as Koy accepted the challenge. That left the question of payment. She offered her covered shopping basket to Koy as she asked with curious apprehension in her voice. "How much of the bill will this cover?"

Koy paused to peer into the basket, her eyes widening. "Right. Remind me ta make sure we get ye a purse as well." The girl obviously had not been told how to protect her belongings in Rhydin. It would never do to carry all of her money right out in the open like that.

Querylon caught the questioning look Koy had given the clay jars. "One rubs a few drops of the oil between ones palms and fingers like so," Querylon drew a penny size circle into her palm with a slender finger and demonstrated her instructions, "and then thoroughly massage into one's hair. It will shine and feel soft like fine silk and the brush will not pull any hair from your head."

"Tha's lovely, really." Koy ushered Querylon into the back dressing rooms, realizing the girl would need a lot of help. How she ended up working at the Wild Jasmine was beyond anything Koy could fathom. "My assistant Tula will help ye get inta these things, then anythin' ye like tha might not fit right I can alter fer ye."

The blond teen had been gleefully listening to all the commotion going on in the main room. She loved anything that caused the biddies to start 'squawking' as Koy had put it the first day Tula started work. Bustling away from the clothing she had not been folding until she heard Koy's stilettos heading her way, Tula eagerly took the items from Koy's arms. She was curious to see what her boss considered appropriate attire for such a scandalous job.

Tula frowned at Koy's choice. The sleeveless yellow chiffon gown with tiny pink and green flowers did not match what she would have imagined such a 'hostess' to wear. Although the neckline was decently low cut, the asymetrical hemline at its shortest wouldn't even expose the woman's kneecaps. And the worst part was, it was the most revealing of the selection.

That was because Koy had actually paid attention to what her newest customer had asked for.
Koyliak "The BobCrusher" VanDuran-Simon
Owner of the Heavenly Boutique
Querylon
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Querylon »

Shopping for clothes had taken longer than Querylon had expected it would. There had not been enough time left to return home for lunch and not be late for her appointment at the Jasmine. Koy had offered her to change into the one new dress that fit without alterations at the boutique before heading to work and Querylon was happy for the offer. The other two outfits and accessories Querylon had picked out as a start for her new wardrobe to wear as the Wild Jasmine’s hostess would be delivered in a couple of days.

Querylon walked up to the Jasmine just a few minutes early, wearing that new soft yellow dress sprigged with tiny flowers of pink and green, cut low at the neck so that it revealed her white skin and having no sleeves which left her arms bare. Though full length in the back, the hemline was shorter in the front and granted a view of well shaped feet and a couple inches of shin, with some stylish, half heel, shoes to match. It was a deceptively simple garment, with a high waistline, tied in the center with a narrow ribbon. At the same time, it did not disguise the slender beauty of her figure or the grace of her movements.

Return to “Tales from the Wild Jasmine”