Love’s Frequency (Valentine’s Day 2024 Radio Request Line)

A place to advertise what's happening in Rhydin!

Moderator: Staff

DJ Cupid
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Love’s Frequency (Valentine’s Day 2024 Radio Request Line)

Post by DJ Cupid »

At midnight on February first, a new frequency appears on radio dials all throughout Rhy’Din and Twilight Isle, a sticky sort of frequency that analog knobs and digital seeking seem to gravitate to: 103.3. Those who tune in hear a smooth and honeyed masculine voice.

“Hello, gentle listeners. This is DJ Cupid for WLUV, Love’s Frequency. I’m here playing all your favorite love songs until the big day, capital-V Valentine’s Day, and I’m waiting to hear from you. Got a particular song that heart of yours is just aching to hear? Give me a call any time, day or night, and I’ll play it just for you.

“I’m taking dedications, too. So, if there’s someone out there who makes your heart sing, call me up and I’ll give you air time so you can tell them in your own words exactly what they mean to you. And it’s okay, if you’re shy. Just tell me what you want to say, and I’ll take care of it for you.”

DJ Cupid pauses for just a moment, leaving the frequency to crackle and fizz, and then he continues.

“It probably doesn’t need to be said, but all forms of love are valid on Love’s Frequency. Romantic, platonic, familial, you name it. It’s all good here.

“So, what are you waiting for, gentle listeners? The season of love will be gone before you know it. Don’t let it slip away without having your say.”

Each person who calls in to request a song will immediately receive a magical red rose that will stay just-picked fresh until the day after Valentine’s Day, with or without water. And those who have songs dedicated to them will receive a red, pink, or white rose, depending upon the nature of the dedication made. These roses all boast an extraordinarily sweet smell that may lift one’s mood. There is definitely magic contained within their petals; who knows what else it might do?

Once Valentine’s Day draws to its conclusion, WLUV and DJ Cupid will vanish from the airwaves, leaving nothing behind except memories, heart songs, and fading roses.

(( So, this is just a bit of fluff to make the lead up to Valentine’s Day a little more festive. Please feel free to reply to this thread with requests and dedications made by your characters, or if you prefer, you can message me with your characters’ requests and DJ Cupid will read them on-air. Also, please feel free to interact with the roses however you desire. Everyone’s character reacts to magic differently, so I’ve tried to leave some leeway regarding what effect the roses have, if any at all.

(( This event will run from midnight 2/1 through midnight 2/15. If you have any questions, please contact me here via PM or on Discord at hiraeth_xo. Thanks!

(( Lastly, this event takes a lot of inspiration from DJ Zazzy Yaz’s WHAM! request line from Dragon’s Mark many years ago. I always enjoyed reading through and contributing to her thread, and thought others might enjoy something like it for this particular holiday. ))
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Re: Love’s Frequency (Valentine’s Day 2024 Radio Request Line)

Post by BardGallant »

"Hi! Hello! Dris here. Former Governor Driscol, as you may know. Yes. I'd like to put in a request, please and thank you.

"This one goes out to the love of my life: Rhys Germain. The most marvelous, extraordinary, loyal and loving man I have ever known. My perfect dream come true. I don't know how I ever survived without him.

"Once upon a time in a dark, lonely warehouse we danced in each others' arms and I softly sang this song in your ear. A whisper and a promise. I asked you to 'Come Away With Me,' Rhys. Sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am that you did, and then stayed with me all these years. Never forget. I'll love you forever with all that I have to give. Happy Valentine's Day, darling."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" plays next.
Tahlia Faras
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Tahlia Faras »

"I'd like to send out two reque- of course they'll do two, what are you talkin about, Reg - shh!. Anyway. This is Tahlia Blake, first a shoutout to my bestie - my Barbie twin, my cheer sister - Girl. You are out there kickin *** - seriously, you bleeped that? Whatever. Kickin *** and taking names, and I can't wait to see who, or what you make friends with next. I am SO glad we met, and I can't wait to see what kinda trouble we get into next.

Choose Your Fighter - Ava Max

The next song goes out to my Puddin - you keep me guessin, in the best ways. I don't think either of us had a clue when you bought me that shotgun that we'd be where we are, but I'm pretty sure whatever life throws at us, we'll be 'Ready for It'. Doesn't matter how crazy it gets, or how many tentacles we get tangled in. I know we don't say the words much, but you know you are my ride or die, and I'm...yours."

Ready for it - Halocene cover

Hanging up the phone, the little blonde turns to find a Barbie-pink rose across her makeup table...and a bruise-dark purple one across her pillow. Appropriate, in both cases, and she's certain their recipients will know exactly who's responsible, even if they aren't currently listening
Last edited by Tahlia Faras on Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ Cupid
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by DJ Cupid »

As Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling In Love” fades out to its end, DJ Cupid’s smooth voice cuts across the final notes to caress the airwaves. “Good morning, gentle listener. I’m DJ Cupid and you’ve reached Love’s Frequency. What can I do for you today?”

Another voice comes on the line. “Good morning, DJ. I would like to request a song for a very special lady. We haven’t known each other for long, but I really can’t get enough of her. She’s the first thing I think about when I wake up. And the last thing I think about before I go to bed. She’s a big part of my life and I hope she feels the same way. I am dedicating the song ‘I Want You To Want Me’ by Cheap Trick to Delaney Lovell. From … you can call me a secret admirer.”

“A secret admirer. How fun.” A burr of gentle amusement made DJ Cupid’s voice all the richer. “Thank you for your call, gentle listener. As requested, here’s Cheap Trick with ‘I Want You To Want Me,’ going out to one certain special lady. Delaney Lovell, this one is for you.”

“I Want You To Want Me” plays. Somewhere in town, a black rose appears within Delaney Lovell’s vicinity … and also within the vicinity of her secret admirer.
Delaney Lovell
Adventurer
Adventurer
The Dire

Post by Delaney Lovell »

She was halfway through her shift at Deja Brew when Delaney heard DJ Cupid say her name on the radio. She has a secret admirer? Delaney was grinning ear to ear as she prepared drinks for the line of patrons. Once the crowd had died down, Delaney stepped into the breakroom and pulled her phone from her apron. She had been meaning to put in her own request and now seemed like the perfect time.

"Hii, DJ Cupid! My name is Delaney... Yes, that Delaney. No! I have no idea who it was. Can you give me a hint? Hm, that's not much to go by. Anyway! I'd love to put in my own song request. No, not for them. I don't even know who it is! This is a song for my bestie!"

"I haven't been in RhyDin for very long. There are so many people here and it was really intimidating at first not knowing anyone. But then I met Tahlia and nothing has been the same since! Tahlia, bestie! I know we joke that I make friends with everyone, but your friendship is one that I truly treasure. I will always have your back and I know you'll always have mine, too. I'm so thankful for you! Your friendship is a gift everyday! I would like to dedicate "Gift of a Friend" by Demi Lovato to Tahlia Blake! Thank you!"

Delaney hung up the phone and turned to leave the breakroom when something caught her eye. Three pristine roses were laid out on the table nearby. She had heard about this, getting roses when you made a song request or a request was made on your behalf. The first roses was yellow, the color of friendship. This had to be her rose for the song request Tahlia made. The second rose was a light pink, the color of appreciation. She appreciated Tahlia so much and felt this one was for the song she just dedicated to her bestie.

It's the last rose that caused a cold chill to run along her spine. Maybe something about the magic that made the roses appear had gone awry? This had to be the rose associated with her secret admirer but... what does it mean when the rose is black?
Rachael Blackthorne
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
The Professor

Location: Current: Number 6 Willow Way, Canopy District, Gloaming. Former: a beach house in Arcadia.

Post by Rachael Blackthorne »

The following envelope and its contents was delivered to DJ Cupid c/o WLUV:

((Happy Together link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZEURntrQOg
Old Fashioned Love Song link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYV1QyMMFSw
The Perfect Nanny link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjIkiN4N2yA
The Butler link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JijS-okT_c
Chim Chim Cher-ee link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG6O4N3wxf8
I Think I Love You link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4FMn-IWEY))
Zack Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Zack Alcar »

Zack would call into the request line. "My name is Zack, and it possible. I have two requests to make for one special woman that I have been spending the last four years with. Valentine's Day being our four year anniversary. This is to Nicole Brock. She's been the best woman I have ever been with, and here's to many more years to come. I love you very much, Baby Girl."

"The first request is George Strait: I Cross My Heart[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IUlCNqAKKA/url]. The second request is Diamond Rio: One More Day [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8O7JdA4Sg/url].
So sleep soundly in your beds tonight
For judgement falls upon you at first light
I'm the hand of God
I'm the dark messiah
I'm the vengeful one
DJ Cupid
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by DJ Cupid »

One song fades into its final bars, giving way to the mellifluous voice of DJ Cupid. “Welcome back, gentle listeners. You’re listening to WLUV 103.3 Love’s Frequency, and I’m DJ Cupid. That was Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You,” and it went out to Jayla from Connie.

“Our next block of songs—yes, I said block—come from a group of youngsters who chose to write in with their requests. Butch, Wander, Rosie, Tux, Mayflower, Belle, Buster, Daisy, Tulip, and Pepper want to dedicate ‘Happy Together’ by the Turtles to their Mom and Dad, ‘Old Fashioned Love Song’ by Three Dog Night for their Gramma and Grampa, and ‘I Think I Love You’ by David Cassidy to their Gramma T and Grampa O.

“They also want to dedicate ‘The Perfect Nanny’ from the Mary Poppins soundtrack to their Nanny Penny, as well as ‘Chim Chim Cher-ee’ from the same soundtrack, which they’re dedicating to Cinder. And finally, they want to dedicate ‘The Butler’ by Jules Taylor for Bond.

“Whew! I think I got them all. Call me if I missed one, kiddos.” DJ Cupid’s voice is rich with gentle humor and quiet joy. “Now, grab yourselves a drink, gentle listeners, and buckle in to enjoy these wonderful blasts from the past.

“And as always, give me a call if there’s something you want to dedicate to someone out there.”

The opening notes to The Turtles’ “Happy Together” begin to play.

The block plays in the following order:
“Happy Together”
“Old Fashioned Love Song”
“I Think I Love You”
“The Perfect Nanny”
“Chim Chim Cher-ee”
“The Butler”

Elsewhere in the city, yellow roses appear in Moneypenny, Bond, and Cinder’s vicinities, while red roses appear for Mallow and Johann, for Rachael and Ian, and for “Gramma T” and “Grampa O.” Each of the Kittens receive a rose for each individual they dedicated a song to, so their home is likely overflowing with roses!
Last edited by DJ Cupid on Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

“Hey, Cupid. This is Rhys. I’m calling in to request a song for my lovely man, Dris. He beat me to punch and requested for me the song I wanted to request for him, but that’s all right. I’ve got another one in mind. If you would, please play ‘Temple of Thought’ by Poets of the Fall.

“And if you’re listening, Dris: I love you. Happy birthday, sweetheart.”

After Rhys rang off, “Temple of Thought” began to play.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Dear DJ Cupid, this is a short notice request.

Can you send out a Happy Birthday wish from the Fab Four on this grand day for someone special to many? They will know, that's what matters.

For My Boys, please send out Silly Love Songs from Sir Paul McCartney and Wings because they always bring joy to my life.

This is for a few very special people. Those that know, know. Jim Brickman - Valentine featuring Martina McBride.
Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

Sending this out to the love of my life, Eregor. Shania Twain's Forever And For Always
"The definition of hero never included anything about age." RDB
DJ Cupid
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by DJ Cupid »

DJ Cupid’s voice is a soothing burr as it cuts across the ending strains of Savage Garden’s “I Knew I Loved You.”

“Our next request comes from a caller who wishes to remain anonymous. The song is ‘Monday’ by Imagine Dragons, and they’re dedicating it to Rhy’Din’s Governor, Gatito Lindo.

“I hope you’re listening, Governor, and I hope you find a way to connect with this person, if you haven’t already.”

“Monday” plays next.

Elsewhere, peculiar roses appears within the vicinity of both the Governor and the person who requested the song for him. The roses are a rich shade of purple with vibrant fuchsia trimming every petal.
Rhiannon D Harker
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Rhiannon D Harker »

Request for RD Harker, even after all these years, you never cease to amaze me. Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
~The definition of hero never included anything about age~
Rhiannon D. Harker
DJ Cupid
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by DJ Cupid »

As the final notes of “Friday, I’m In Love” play, DJ Cupid’s smooth voice cuts through to announce the next song and another dedication.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Rhy’Din. You’re listening to WLUV 103.3 Love’s Frequency, and my name is DJ Cupid. I’m here all day and night to take your requests and dedications.

“Our next song comes from another caller who wishes to remain anonymous. They’re dedicating the song ’No Vacancy’ by OneRepublic and Amir to their king. They assured me that the intended recipient would know it’s for him upon hearing it, so let’s hope they’re right.” A note of humor sweetens his voice.

“Once again, this is ’No Vacancy’ by OneRepublic and Amir, and it goes out to a certain king out there amongst Rhy’Din’s populace.”

”No Vacancy” plays next.

Elsewhere in the city, more peculiar roses appear in the vicinity of both the caller and the recipient—more rich purple trimmed in vibrant fuchsia.
Nicole Brock
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Nicole Brock »

Zack, never put Baby in a corner.

The Time of My Life - Dirty Dancing

Return to “Community Events”