Duel of Magic Team Changes

A place for the players and staff to communicate, share ideas, report bugs, make suggestions, and build our community.

Moderator: Staff

Max Lager
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Duel of Magic Team Changes

Post by Max Lager »

This is admittedly a difficult post to write, but it is something that I’ve thought about for 9 months to a year now. Change is scary and this is one of those big changes and scary steps.

I am starting the process of stepping down as DoM Head Coordinator and am looking for someone to begin a transition process to take over. The ideal plan is that someone will be selected within the month (sometime this month or even Feb), and I’ll begin a process of trial running them in the position. Working with them privately, ensuring that standings and tournaments and histories and what not all go off without a hitch, etc. Depending on who volunteers, how things go, I intend to step down completely in six months to a year. Sometime near the end of that period I’ll plan on stepping down from the board. My hope is that this gives lots of time for people to step up, for me as staff to find someone as a replacement, etc.

All in all, I’d like to retire as Head Coordinator and Board Member as gracefully as possible, to catch myself before a breakdown. I’ve been on staff here since its inception, doing standings since mid-April of 2018, then being a Head Coordinator for DoM since Summer of 2019, and a Board Member for a year and a half now. I need a chance to try and become a community member once again or see if I have moved on from this hobby.

While I don’t like to speak for other people, I do want to stress that this also means that both Karma and Royal will be stepping down from staff as well. In other words, one of them will not be taking over DoM. I think all three of us need and deserve to remove our staff hats and get a chance to relax for a while. (And let’s be honest, if one of them volunteered to take over, I’d be right back here trying to help my closest friends. xD )

Please reach out to me directly on discord ( username is quiqui ) with your interest or any questions that you may have for me, I’m happy to discuss things as I’m able. If you have thoughts on wanting to try and take over as a team with your friends, that is an option, please don’t think that you have to jump in solo or headfirst! I’d just like this to be as smooth of a transition for everyone as possible.

Thank you all for reading / listening and wanting to see Duel of Magic continue on! <3
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Duel of Magic Team Changes

Post by PrlUnicorn »

DoM Staff,

While Max's news is disheartening at best, I fully empathize with the need to step back and take time for self care as well as wanting to be a member of the community at large.

Thank you all for your exemplary efforts and success in making DoM a fun thing for the community. It is appreciated more than words can express. You have all worked very hard in many capacities over the years. The fact that you are the best of friends shines through in everything you have accomplished together.

I wish you all the best and hope you will continue to be active presences in the community in the future.

C.
XanthVanBokkelen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by XanthVanBokkelen »

Thank you Max for your years of dedication to Duel of Magic and for your creativity and enthusiasm.
Strawberry
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of Air & Darkness

Post by Strawberry »

Max,

It's been an honor serving with and supporting you. Duel of Magic has positively flourished under your care and I am so [bleep]ing proud of you. Thank you for being a wonderful sounding board, creative partner, tempering force, and friend. Love and appreciate you always.

To the community at large,

Please step in to help so Max can get a much deserved retirement and DoM can still have community input and oversight! So much of DoM's infrastructure is already in place and it just needs a kind hand to keep it going and to occasionally inject fun, inclusive story opportunities into one of Rhy'din's richest and most versatile settings. I've been involved in some capacity for the better part of 10+ years at this point and would be glad to chat about what it takes to be successful in the staff role if anyone wants to AMA.
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

o7

When I had my last break I wrote up a large post of my feelings and it's still the same as it was then. The DoM team feels more like a family than a group of volunteers, but I think that's how it is when you're together with your friends, so it's been a blast working with Max and Karma. Hopefully whoever takes charge next will be able to feel the same about their own team and bring fun and creativity to the Duel of Magic community.
Josette Wheeler
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Josette Wheeler »

It is difficult to put into words how much I admire how these three amazing individuals have contributed to this site for DoM. The sheer amount of time, energy, dedication and pure love that has gone into everything you all do came through in multitudes. You gave us all playables, wonderful words, and gorgeous settings to dip our toes in when we were tentative and gave us the courage to dive right in and I’m sure there were many sleepless nights when you asked yourselves if it was worth it. I just want to say thank you to Max, Karma and Royal for giving their all amidst their own very busy schedules. May you get the rest you deserve to replenish and to soar to even greater horizons! I know whatever you do will be amazing.
“Perfection is static, and I am in full progress.”
—Anaïs Nin
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Max, Karma, & Royal

I don't know what to say other than thank you, but that doesn't feel like enough. The three of you have so much love for Duel of Magic, and it shows. Knowing how strong your passion is for DoM makes reading this decision to step down break my heart. You will be missed, but the impact your dedicated service has had on the community will live on forever. Any group that takes on the privilege of coordinating after you is going to have very big shoes to fill, and I hope that they do so with as much grace and compassion as you have shown as well.

There is so much to thank you for. First and foremost, thank you for the play hooks and story arcs with events and tournaments that provided me much needed inspiration to dip my toes in, and then for always encouraging me to dive in the rest of the way. I struggled for the longest time coming up with reasons why my character might ever duel Magic, and you three have done a phenomenal job of providing. All of my characters have acquired some very unique and delightful artifacts that I continue to reference and use in play. Thank you for creating and giving such wonderful prizes away to the people who have participated in DoM over the years. They are much cherished.

I still don't know DoM as well as I do the other two sports, but I have very much enjoyed participating in the sport for the past several years, with all of my characters. I never thought I'd see the day that Sal would become a Keeper. In just a few short years, he has grown so much as a character, and I have you three to thank quite a lot for his growth. I've touched base with old friends who knew Sal from the very beginning, and every single one of them is delightfully surprised when I tell them "Sal duels Magic now!" Who would have thought? Not them. Certainly not me. Yet here we are, and I have loved every single minute of it. Thank you for injecting me with your joy. I will hold onto it for always.

I really do hope that the weights of responsibility lift from your shoulders and you are able to maintain joy in this shared hobby of ours. You deserve the rest you are seeking, and I hope you find that, too.

Thank you for everything.

- S

Return to “Community Townhall”