Out of Character message board for the Duel of Fists

Moderator: Staff

Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

All Good Things...

Post by Goldglo »

Dear RoD Community,

Twenty-one years and eight months ago, I was given the great honor and responsibility of becoming the Head Coordinator for the Duel of Fists. In the nearly 8,000 days since that time, a lot has changed. We got Opals (thank you, Jake and Morgan!), we re-forged Opals (thank you, Jewell!), we implemented custom dueling rings, we burned down the Outback multiple times, we moved from AOL to FlashChat/RoH and then to Discord/RoD, and countless other milestones.

Most important, we played together and wrote stories and made lasting memories with each other.

Twenty-one years and eight months is far, far too long for one person to be in the driver’s seat. I’ve been head of DoF for just about half of my entire life. It’s time for me to do what I ought to have done many years ago and step aside to make room for fresh ideas and new leadership. To any and all those whom I’ve hurt over the years (because I have, and I know that) – I am deeply sorry.

I apologize to each of you for not doing this sooner as, ultimately, my staying for so long was not best for the community as a whole, nor the growth/direction of DoF. I am very proud of what we’ve accomplished together, but I also recognize the opportunities lost because change was avoided for such a long period.

I owe countless debts of gratitude to the DoF Head Coordinators who came before me (Panther – Nov. 1994-~Jan. 1996 ; Jake Thrash – ~Jan. 1996 to Jan. 1997; Ringo – Jan. 1997 to ~Thanksgiving, 1997; Tex – ~Thanksgiving 1997 to April 6, 1998; Rask – April 6, 1998 to May 6, 2000), all of my Assistant Coordinators & the myriad callers who’ve come and gone over the years…names many of you are familiar with and some of whom you’ve possibly never met or don’t remember. My thanks also goes to my current team of amazing individuals: the players of Jaycy, Hope, Kheldar and Mart…my debt to you can never be truly repaid.

Since November of 1993, so many people have given time, dedication and a piece of themselves to the Duel of Fists and our community, paving the way for where we are today…over 28 years later! We wouldn’t be here without them (or those of you reading this) and to all of you and those who came before, I give my heartfelt gratefulness.

I will remain with the team in a reduced role as new leadership guides the sport into 2022 and beyond. As we move forward, I humbly request that the community, as you always have, continue to support the DoF crew as we navigate a new era and implement long overdue ideas and plans.

As always, my (virtual) door is open to each of you if you ever want to reach out, chat through ideas, give constructive criticism, or even just say hello.

Starting on Sunday, January 16, a new era begins in DoF. I hope you’re as excited as I am to see what comes next!

With gratitude,

--Matt
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: All Good Things...

Post by PC »

It will be rough thinking of Duel of Fists without you as the head of it. My whole time here has been with you leading it. You were the one to show my character around the Outback and explain different aspects of the histories to her when I first became a caller.

I mean this deeply. Thank you for all your hard work.

I look forward to seeing what comes on the horizon, but I expect you to still come around and slap people around in the challenge game.
Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Cheers, Matt. I'm glad to have gotten to work so much with you over the last few years, and appreciated your kindness and support in helping me get into dueling and showing me much of the ropes, and not just in your sport. You've left a massive impact on this community in your time here, and I'm grateful for everything you've done, and your time, energy, and wisdom in our discussions and what we've collaborated on.

And I look forward to continuing to work with you in your new role, and seeing you around here for many years to come. <3
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

For much of my time here, you have been someone I have looked up to. As a duelist, as a coordinator, as a writer, as a person. Your contributions to this place are endless and I think you should be immensely proud of all you've done in your 2+ decades here. Nobody is perfect and as coordinators, we all have times where maybe we could have done better. We're human. But your longevity and your list of accomplishments is a historic legacy that you can and should be proud of. Thank you for being a source of leadership and levelheadedness for so long and I'm glad that this isn't a goodbye, it's just a change in where you'll be influencing the community from.
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

I fear I do not have the words to accurately express the amount of gratitude and sorrow I am equally feeling today. You have literally been the face of DoF to me for as long as I have been role-playing. Though I did not come upon the duels until some years later, you have been a staple in this community for that entire time. Thank you for always encouraging me to keep trying. For congratulating me when, after years of perseverance, I finally won that (very last) Panther's Claw. For encouraging me to enter my very first Diamond Quest after finally managing to acquire enough wins to technically be an Emerald, even though it wasn't yet on the standings, and making that exception to allow me to participate. I'm going to keep trying to win that, too, thanks to you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for 22 years of dedicated love and service to the Duel of Fists. Thank you for keeping it alive all these years so that I could discover it, experience it, and grow to love it tremendously, too. Those stepping up to replace you have some incredibly enormous shoes to fill. I am grateful for everything you have done for this community. Thank you, and thank you, and thank you again. I cannot say it enough. I, too, am glad you are not leaving us completely, but I hope now you can enjoy some well-deserved relaxation.
Gren Blockman
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Gren Blockman »

Thanks for all your years of service and dedication to the Duel of Fists, your contributions are much appreciated.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Matt,

Thank you so much for all time, effort, and dedication you have put into DoF over the years. It is appreciated far more than words than words can express!

One of my fondest memories, associated with duels, is working with you and Dansantes on slideshows back in the AOL days.

Best of luck to you, now and in the future!

Cathy

Return to “Duel of Fists (OOC)”