Conflicted (original thread)

Phalanx (fā′lăngks′), n. A group of people or things of a similar type forming a compact body or brought together for a common purpose.

Moderators: Edward Batten, Katt Batten

Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Conflicted (original thread)

Post by Katt Batten »

Ten minutes or so dribble on by until a scream echos from the alley and it surely wasn't no fake one either. It was the kind that made your spine run cold at what could of possibly been going on. No words involved just screams at different vocal levels of what one could pinpoint as fear.

"Why do I suddenly get the feeling she's willing to put someone through years of therapy just to prove me wrong?" He asks himself hearing that scream. It wans't a heroic thought filled with altruism and Dudley Do-Right. No, it was a statement of many jaded hues.

The screams ended about as they started, sudden and sharp..with a choke sound that likely went unheard from the distance.

"F*ckberries..." he grimaces in growing anxiety before digging out his phone. "Yeah, Watch? I need three units at the Marketplace. Just heard some screams like a woman's been attacked..." He pauses. "Race....yeah, that one. Yes, the guy with the theme park." He frowns. "No, getting here in less than five minutes won't get you free ticket..." he abruptly hangs up on the jackass and starts progressing towards the Alley. If anything...he's covered his arse.

Funny enough, unless you count the near heart attack, there had been absolutely no attacking in the alley. Not that one would realize this. Even after finding a very unconscious Katt spilled in the very center of the dark alley. There was no blood involved it seemed either. Depending if he even investigated. The screams, again, had not been fake...

Hopping on one foot like a drunken easter bunny, he pries a small device from the heel of his shoe, turning it to expose a sewn in compartment. A twist and a press to the button reveals a flashlight that he shines down the alley.

It was a good thing she was wearing pants. Race might try to make shadow puppets under her skirt if she were wearing one..

He's got a bit more class than that. Not much, but a bit. "Crazier than I thought..." he sighs and shakes his head. He didn't know exactly what happened but he had his suspicions. "Katt, if you're faking like a whore's orgasm...I'm going to kill you."

That ..might? explain the quick rise and fall of her chest or it was the tail end of hyperventilating. Either way..she was out cold so Race didn't get an answer. Depending if the light caught her face he might catch sight of glistening tears that pretty much were flooded down her cheeks.

Two teeth catch hold of his lower lip while looking into the Alley before he pushes another button to pop out a piton which he starts fastening to te side of the alley. "Hear the story about the tornado in Adenna? There was a twist at the end." he says as a means to give himself confidence through humor.

Sad as it was. It would of went over Katt's head.

"Pete and Rep"eat are sitting on a log. Pete fell off who was left.." he starts with another look to the Marketplace then back down the alley. "Repeat.

"Horse walks into a bar, bartender asks it...hey buddy, why the long face?" Slowly, Race takes a single step into the alley.

"Penguin's driving through the desert when his engine overheats. Finds a road side garage and gas station." He continues to speak to himself. "Penguin goes inside, gets himself a vanilla ice cream cone to chow on while it waits." He takes a scond step and then a third. "Finishes the cone, goes to see about his car. Mechanic looks up at him and says "Looks like you blew a seal." The penguin flails and screams it's just ice cream."

Poor Race. By the time he got down the alley he'd have to worry about the Watch he called and all the jokes he'd have to tell them.

"A prostitute asks a longtime customer why they always meet at the bank to sleep together. He told her he believes in safe sex." he says, now within a few feet of Katt.

"A married couple are having a fight. Worst in ages between the two. He storms out the door and screams, hope you die, I'll have here lies my wife, cold as ever put on your head stone." Race continues to speak to himself even as he kneels beside Katt. "His wife comes barging out of the house and screeches, "And when you die your stone will read, 'here lies my husband, stiff at last."

By the time he finally got there she was breathing semi-normal with a few hiccup inhales here and there. The tears had stopped but her face was still quite wet.

He wipes some of the wetness from her face and murmurs. "Some nights whole packs." Like a creeper he licks the wetness from his finger and looks to her sleeping form.

If he was expecting something else then the salty taste of tears..well..disappointment for Race. Katt had normal tears.

"Jesus, Kathryn." he mutters under his breath using her full first name. With care he rolls her over and puts his hand close to her nose. He feels the warmth of breath along his skin and shakes his head again.

"Good thing you're light." he grumbles and lifts her carefully, one arm curling under her neck and shoulders and the other under her knees. Race curls her body weight close to his chest before lifting with his thick legs to get her up. "Blue tooth" he says making a small device blink against his ear. "GEIST, Marketplace pick up. Myself plus one." He says to his waiting transport while taking her out of the alley.

Awaiting them sat an idling classic muscle car. An olive green Pontiac GT, pitch black racing strikes run bumper to bumper in two moderate lines over the top of the vehicle. "Is that, Katt Batten?" A cultured voice asks from within the car.

"Yes it is. She passed out from anxiety. Take us to the Plex." He says while putting her into the passenger side and buckles her in with care.

"Very well, sir. I am going to assume it is because you don't want a plethora of questions by taking her home to mister Sheridan?" The automated voice asks with surprising insight.

"You're too smart for your programming, GEIST." Race says with a slight laugh before getting in the drivers' side. Once the door is shut, GEIST revs its engine one or twice and carries them...home.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: several hours later :.

Her waking was slow and once she realized the divinely plush comforter she pulled it up over her head and rolled over.

Wait a tick...

That wasn't her comforter!

Nor was there a warm body next to her.

This wasn't right.

A million things went through her head as she bolted from the bed, tangled as she was in the comforter and sheets it meant that her rush had her hitting the floor with a loud thug. With a grunt she kicked herself loose and looked around. She..semi-recognized the place.

She blinked slowly and sat up, the comforter nudged a bit out of the way as she noted a nearby tray with a glass of red juice and some sort of pastry on a plate.

It was Race's place. The one that overlooked the Wonderplex. Why..was she there?

She started to stand but found a pair of fuzzy lion slippers on the floor next to the bed. They were freaking adorable! She didn't realize Race liked that kind of stuff but then again..Race was surprising her a lot lately. Smiling she reached over to test the softness, giving the Lions a few pets.

...It made her miss Clayton...

But still she smiled and eventually slipped her feet into them. Surely Race wouldn't mind if she borrowed them while she tromped around.

After a quit restroom run to freshen up things slowly started to come back to her.

As hard as she tried not to pass out she ended up doing so anyways...

"(vs) Damn..." she murmured as she combed back her hair and made her way to the plate that had been set out. Both the glass and pastry were stared at for some time and while she didn't touch the pastry she did take up the glass. A sniff later told her that it was cranberry juice. A small smile tugged her lips as she took a sip of the tart drink.

With the glass in hand she wandered around, not really poking her nose into anything but just moving to get her blood moving. She was going to need to apologize to Race. All this trouble he went through...

Sighing to herself she began to pick up, cleaning out the glass and leaving it next to the pastry, fixing the bed, and putting away the slippers....Even if she wanted to steal them...

One final look around told her that her sword was nowhere to be found. She needed to retrieve that...

Once her shoes were on she slipped out of the suite, the door politely locked on her leaving.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Ten: Breaking :.

.:Nov 12:.

It was getting worse as the days went by. The strange revolting feeling when she was touched by Clayton and random, while short blackouts.

How dare you touch me you filth.

Why was that feeling lingering? Why was the Darkness spreading when it shouldn't? Why was It hinting out more and more?

I want out.

Of course you do...

Salvestro had asked her what did she like...

The cackling voice and images of gore filled her head to the point of pain. The pain hadn't gone away, even now...

Sitting in the middle of the bed she watched Clayton slumber the hours away. Why did she feel so restless? Why was walking..patrolling..not helping with that?

Even the comforts of watching Clayton wasn't helping as it use to...

Reaching out she brushed her fingers against his draped arm but before her eyes the vision of him changed. From the sleeping man..to the man she loved covered in blood..his eyes wide open in a terror filled expression.

Gasping she yanked her hand back, her eyes wide.

NO! STOP IT!

The mocking laughter that followed caused her eyes to clench tight. When they came open..the blood was gone..and her beloved stirred faintly from the movement. Before he could wake fully she was out of the bed. With sword in hand she was out of the door, forgetting to even so much as putting her shoes on.

She didn't want to hurt him. Even though it seemed like she couldn't..she just..didn't want to take the chance.

Let me out.

Soon. Not right now but soon...

First she needed to make preparations and be as far from any life as she could be. Needed to make sure nobody could ever find her until it was over.

After all..everyone said she should. Let it out..

Yes...soon...

Maybe things would get better afterward. Maybe for once December will be a month she could enjoy. Last year had been a wonderfully surprising Christmas... Maybe..just maybe...

Maybe she could even get Ed to spend Christmas with her again.

Maybe...
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Eleven: Saying Sorry :.

Nov 16th

So likely he was out and about...or working..or something. That was okay..She could wait. That is one thing she was really good at. Waiting. In fact she was probably there a while, sitting on the floor a few feet away from the front door with her ankles crossed and tucked in close so that her arms could wrap around them and keep the container that was between her thighs and chest safe. Tonight she was wearing an oversize hoodie and seemed to take utmost care in keeping her face hidden in the shadows of it.

Might be a bit chilly but after about fifteen minutes a motorcycle revs up to his home, the helmeted rider looking at Katt behind a black bug shield. Flipping the visor up reveals the Mogul himself. "Katt?" His red cheeks are smushed up within the helmet like a chipmunk trying to squeeze through a peanut hole."What are you doing out here?" Killing the engine, he lowers the support stand and unstraddles the machine. A restored Indian from the body.

It was the sound of the bike that startled her awake and her head jerked up from the downcast position it had been in. Shielded eyes tilted up to the machine and eventually the man she recognized as Race. Curling her arms around the carrier she pushed herself up to her feet, looking down briefly before back up. "Waiting for you.."

"You do that a lot" he says giving her a smile once his helmet is off and he's walking towards her. Dressed in black dress slacks and a black silk shirt with a neon purple & over the left breast and "Owner" printed above it, he looks oh so professional.

She blinked slowly. "I..do? I..Mrm.." The sound left her throat, almost unsure. Her eyes flicked back down and she offered the carrier over to him while keeping her eyes down. "Sorry.."

"What are you sorry for?" He asks as he accepts the carrier. Then he's carefully reaching out to cup her chin. "Katt?"

She inhaled sharply and drew back before he could touch her too much. The reason became more evident when her chin raised and her half bruised lip and cheek came into view. She shifted her head a bit then shook it. "For..being stupid. I shouldn't of..done what I did. I placed you in a very odd situation and.." Her lips pursed briefly.

He sees the bruising and looks suddenly furious. "Did Clayton do that?"
A look of confusion was cast on the part of her face that wasn't hidden. "Did Clayton do..what?" A hand lifted to her face then to the lip of the hood to yank it lower.

"Pff no..Clayton wouldn't raise a hand to me." Unless he had to of course. "Why would you think that Clayton would..do that ..to me?"

He exhales a bit. "I can't think of any scum bag getting close enough to you in a fight to do that...and I don't know him very well." He admits. "Sorry for jumping to a conclusion, just not used to seeing you beat up."
"I get beat up enough..." Her hand lowered and she sighed quietly.

"I..can't use my Reevi so..I have been carrying my sword with me." She wasn't going to tell him what happened. Her hands raised up quickly and shook in the air. "That...isn't why I am here! I wanted to bring you that as a sorry. I'm sorry..what I did was stupid..even if it was to prove a point." That and she had no clue what happened so she didn't know the outcome.

"Want to come in side so I can see what you got me in good light?" He asks and shifts to let her be beside him. "You're all ways looking after me it seems. Maybe one day I'll get to return the favor."

Her eyes drifted down as she considered her respond. "Yeah sure." Brushing her jeans down she looked around and realized she forgot her sword. Figures.. "I..won't stay long I am sure you are tired and all." She blinked over at him. "Return the favor?"

"I'm gonna be up for a while yet, besides. Won't say no to you." He offers and flips his keys for the front door key. "So, you at least take the guy down who did it? Or girl. or IT, I've fought off some real he/she's before."

"I...don't know." The words drifted from her lips weakly. "I don't even know what happened, Race. I woke up on top of the roof of the apartment building. I don't..think Ed is going to like that..There is like a small crater.." Her brows furrowed and she shook her head. "I was in it..so I can't say I think I won..anything."

He nod a bit at that. "Sounds like you need a guardian angel." He's walking towards the house with her and unlocking the door. "So what's in here?" He tries to look inside the carrier but it's too dark.

She didn't follow at first but eventually followed after he was ahead a bit. It wasn't like she was..hiding what happened. She would tell Ed or Clayton when she sees them. She had been avoiding people though. "Um..just..sweets. I don't know what kind you like so there are apple turnovers, bearclaws, some red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese whipped topping. A few snickerdoodles.." Just a bunch of sweet stuff she realized she probably shouldn't of brought him.

"Snickerdoodles?" He looks back at her with a smile. "My grand used to make those all the time. Gingersnaps too, but those I learned not to eat a lot of, or with milk." Door open he lets her enter first. "Ladies first, and all that. Maybe this time I'll get to hug you goodbye before you leave in the morning."

"I like soft gingersnaps with milk. Actually I like the smell of ginger..so is a double reason why I like baking them." She blinked and she gibbered. "You make it sound like we- uh-" She slid on in past him and hurried a few steps in then to the side to make room for him. "You weren't here?"

"I felt responsible. You did all of that because of me. When I found you passed out in the Alley, I called the Watch but the dispatcher on duty wanted free tickets to the park. So I had to go alone. I made sure you were ...you know, alive. Because I don't like seeing you unconscious on the floor." Closing the door, he lifts the lid on the box to look at his treats. "So I had GEIST pick us up and I brought you here, didn't want to answer a thousand questions from Clayton really...or Ed. Got you laid down, made sure you weren't hurt or anything."

She blinked slowly at him. "The Watch wanted..what?" She shook her head. She swore sometime the Watch was a bunch of idiots.. Turning to him fully she craned her chin up and smiled. "But you went down the alley. Alone." Oh boy did she like she proved a point? She shook her head at him. "You aren't responsible. You didn't know that I am..um..afraid of places like that.." Her eyes dropped, rather embarassed actually. "You are a lot braver then you give yourself credit for Race. I just..wanted you to realize that."

"Bravery, isn't the absence of fear. It is being in the very presence of it, yet having the will to go on." He recites to her with a small smile. "I just have to be smarter than ever now, is all."

Shoving her hands down into her pockets she frowned. "Then..what is it when you are still afraid and just..go anyways?"

"Insanity?" He can't help that one and it shows in his smile. "Or your fear is outweighed by what you're trying to accomplish.

"Insanity. Yep that sounds about right. I've been called insane a lot..guess that pretty much fits the bill with me." She chuckled quietly but it sounded a bit harsh and scratchy.

"Want a glass of water?" The question spoken through a mouthful of Katt's sweet treats.

"Do..you have something stronger?" Well okay maybe that wasn't a good idea considering that he had been drinking himself to the bottom of bottles. "I er..um..Water is fine." She nodded and tried not to giggle. He was going to end up like a chipmunk if he kept going.

"If you want something stronger I can get it for you, or make it. I'm bartending at Ampersand on Thursday and Saturday nights. Gotten pretty good too!" He's got some frosting on his upper lip as he says this, leading her towards the kitchen.

Oh that is right. "I need to go back to doing the uhm..referring." It was slow to kick in. "Anything is fine." She wasn't going to be picky right now. She felt like she had no right in. Seeing his frost-stash she chuckled a single note.

"Referring? You know someone that needs a job?" At this rate that box is going to be gone by the time she's got a drink! Box set down he motions for her to have a seat at the table. A six seater made of rich red cherry and a light polish. The chairs were made of the same wood with small intricate carvings along the legs and back supports.

"Referee." She grumped when he made fun of her or maybe it was just her mouth not working with her brain. Brushing her fingertips against the surface of the table she continued to do so until she finally decided to do as he gestured. Settling down into a seat she winced and barely managed to swallow down any sounds that wanted to follow. After a few measured breaths she relaxed and looked over the length of the table. She liked the wood it was made of..was one of her favorites actually... "Planning on giving my job to someone?"

"Not unless you need a break." Is his reply as he decides to do something special. He goes to the liquor cabinet and takes down a bottle of Smirnoff 21. Setting it on the table, he takes a bottle of chocolate syrup, a squeeze bottle labeled white chocolate, from the 'fridge, and from the cupboards he gets a bag of marshmallows, a cinnamon stick, and a Collins glass.

She blinked and tilted her head to the side as she watched. When he brought out the mallows her attention perked and she tried to will some of them over ot her without saying a word. Was that why she was staring at the white fluff so hard? Maybe. "What are you making?"

"A dream cloud." He says with a grin before snapping his fingers and goes back to the 'fridge and takes out a carton of heavy whipping cream and a jar of Marachino's. From a nearby strainer he takes out a shaker. Smiling a bit, he pours the cream into the shaker, looks about a cup. Then he upends the twin syrups, crossing the streams atop the cream. Lastly he pours two ounces of the 21. Holding the lid tight, he rocks the shaker, his body undulating in a professional mixologist way before pouring the cloudy mixture into the Collins glass. Atop that he spirals a little whipped cream that he had to make another trip for. The syrups are rotated in another glaze across the whipped topping before he tops it off with the a cherry or three, plunking the cinnamon stick into the mix like a straw and sliding it her way.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

She watched him curiously. It sure did look cloudy when he poured it. Her hand went up, almost missing the glass that was sent her way. Her fingertips grazed the rim long enough to stop it before her hand yanked back, the other moving forward to clench the other to stop it from shaking. It did look good and she was eager to try it..once her hand stopped shaking. "A dream cloud. It looks yum." Three cherries was better than one! Once her hand stopped shaking that is what she went for first.

He watches her a little bit before starting to clean things up. Can always make her another one after all. "It's a house special at Ampersand." he keys her in.

"Where is yours?" She asked as the cherry was placed against her bottom lip in a sort of a kiss. Mm cherries. Her hand was steady enough but ever so often her hand seemed to twitch.

He blinks a little bit...watching her do that and a very strong urge to lean forward and get the other half of that inviting cherry between his teeth tugs at him. A look of some inner debate flashes over his features before smiling softly. "Don't wanna share?"

She inhaled the cherry like she was afraid he was going to demand it back or steal it away. "Share?" She blinked slowly at him and glanced down to her drink. "I don't like sharing. Though quite frankly I don't normally let people pour me drinks anymore after..what happened.."

"Good thing I'm not most people." Is his ready answer with a laugh at her inhalation of the cherry.

Hey at least she admitted she didn't like sharing! In fact when she realized he wanted to share? She grabbed another cherry leaving him with one. Hey he had a whole jar of the darn things he could always add more! "I agree to that. You aren't.."

He smiles a little warmer, almost a warm and gooey inside kind of smile before he's getting two bottles of water from the 'fridge and taking a seat next to her at the table.

She was just about to ask him for a straw but he was settled so she decided to just deal. The glass was carefully nudged his way to allow him first sip while she nibbled on the delicate flesh of the cherry. She..can't say she could remember ever seeing him smile like that so there was a little staring involved. "You aren't mad at me ...right?" Wait was that smile because he dropped something in the drink? Hmmm...

Considering she watched him make it like a hawk watches a rodent, nothing in the drink. At her question he shakes his head. "I'm not mad. I'm glad."

The nibbling ceased and she stared at him. That..wasn't exactly what she was expecting to hear it seemed. "Glad..?"

"Glad." He says and twists off the cap of his water. "You're always pushing me. Like you have this expectation of me in your head, and when I don't match up to it, you shove me around mentally ...or physically...until things line up and I do what I should be."

Her back straightened and she looked at him a bit mortified. To the point that she nearly inhaled and choked on the cherry. She managed to get it out the way before stammering a mess of words out, "What? N-No! I am n-not trying t-to change you Race! I just..I.." Her brows furrowed and she looked down. Is that what he really thought? Wow..talk about the mental kicking going on under the hood..

"You're not trying to get me to see myself through your eyes?" He asks softly and takes her hand.

She jumped at being touched and nearly fled out of her chair. It was all she could do to sit there and she managed barely to do just that. Even if her other hand was squishing the cherry in hand until it was nothing but red mush. "I have been trying to get you to see what everyone sees, Race. What you ...don't think you are but you are. Or maybe you just don't realize it..I don't know.."

When she jumped, he pulled back and shook his head. "I don't think so." he starts. "You realize that yourself and Issy...are the only people other than Raye who came around to see how I was, or made effort to contact me? Just the three of you."

"I am sure Ed is worried about you too, Race. He is just.." Her eyes drifted down to the glass. "(s) He is just always..busy.." Her eyes slowly raised and over to him. "Sorry."

"Thing is...I look to my grandfather and his memory for a lot of guidance. " he says gently and reaches back into his wallet, taking out a photograph of a balding man with dark skin, the shade of sun beaten leather. A broad grin on his face as he stands with an arm around a very young looking Race. Maybe sixteen.

D'aww look! It was a young Race! Leaning a little she peered at the picture then over to him questionally. "His memory?" It was asked quietly, almost afraid to know the answer. She had a feeling..she already knew..

"Cancer, the summer after that picture was taken." He says with an exhale. "See, my dad ran out on my mother and us. Us being my brothers and sister. When I was a baby, so mom moved in with grandma and grandpa. This man is who I call father. "

He taps the picture once. "He was a hard man at times, but fair. One of the things he used to say is that if it's important, be it someone or something, you make the time for it. No matter what. You take time to keep in touch with those that matter to you."

"With chores and school he taught me, you bust your ass to get done early, so you have time after for all the things you'd rather be doing. Whether it's fishing at the reservoir like he always did, or meeting up with girls behind the stadium bleachers as I enjoyed doing."

His words caused her shoulders to sulk down, her hands falling to rest in her lap. "Does that mean that they care any less? I don't..think so. Good friends are like stars..You don't have to see them to know they are there.." Her eyes drifted over to him. "Sometimes people feel that...others need their space. There could be a number of reasons but I know you have more friends then those you say checked on you. You have more people who care for you." She sat back a bit more, his words weighing a bit heavier on her then she'd like.

"There are two kinds of friends, Katt. Fair weather, who are only around when skies are sunny and all is clear. And true blue. Those who cling to you through hell and high water." He replies. "You and Issy showed yourselves to be the latter. Would you like to know something? Something I haven't told anyone, not even Raye?"

Her thoughts were on Ed and the fact she hadn't heard from him in like..forever. Her hands clenched and fidgetted in her lap. "That is up to you to share.."

"So you're saying no?" He asks with a shrug and a sip of his water.

"I am saying it is not my choice if you wish to share something like that, Race. If you want to tell me it will stay with me, of course.." Such things she felt was only his choice to share.

She placed a lot of trust in him...he couldn't do any less. "When I was little, maybe eight I think. I got into this huge fight with my grandmother. I can't even remember anymore what about but I screamed "I wish you were dead" top of my lungs and stormed off. Stayed in my room the rest of the night."

He takes another drink. "It was about four in the morning, my mother came in to wake me...she told me gran' had passed away in her sleep."

She had an idea that he probably regretted those words being the last that was spoken to his grandmother. "I'm sorry..How?"

"M.E. said she just stopped breathing, like her heart gave out." He answers'. "Fast forward, two years. Feels like everyone is slowly moving on,it's January 1st. Day before my grandmother died...and ironically my mother's birthday."

Her hands clasped and relaxed. Birthdays were kind of an oddity for her. Lifting her eyes she looked over to him, waiting for him to continue. That..sounded kinda hard really. A birthday so close to ones mother's death..

"I'm enjoying winter break from school and putzing around the house because I didn't feel like going outside. Sitting in the dining room, I see my grandfather walk through the kitchen in his long johns. Thermal underwear." he clarifies. "Didn't think anything of it since the man was like a Titan to me, made of granite. He went outside."

Okay she heard underwear.. So that image wasn't the best one in her head. Eeessssh. She managed to keep a straight face. "During..winter?"

He gave a nod. "One of the coldest days on record. Two hours passed before I started to get worried. So I went and put on my little He-Man boots, my coat, hat, gloves and a scarf. Went to find him."

Her brows knitted as she listened, a set of concern on her own face seemed to grow. He was making her antsy almost..

"I found him at the corner of the house, he'd fallen and broken his hip. Grandpa Shooey was blue as the sky, but chattering and breathing. The wind was loud in my ears as I knelt by him. He wasn't even able to look at me. Found out years later he'd tried to kill himself. But, that's getting ahead. What came next wasn't anything of conscious effort. I just remember...acting. Instinct. I ran like Renna was after me to the barn and grabbed my sled. Think I must have teleported because the way back was a blur."

She blinked as she listened to him and her lips twitched like she was trying not to frown. She bit her tongue so he didn't have to pause though..it didn't surprise her how smart little Race was.

His hands play with the bottle in his hands as he continues. "Somehow I rolled him onto my sled and drug him the thirty feet to the porch, up the five steps and into the house. Got him to the living room in front of the fire stove, threw on as many logs as I could wedge inside on top of the coals and tore apart every bed in the house for blankets. Then called my mom and my sister who were both at work. My brothers by then were in the military."

She blinked at him but nodded. "You were quite the smart lil lad, Race. It doesn't surprise me." His grandpa did make it right? She was on the edge of her seat.

"I saw my biggest hero..stumble." He says to her.

Her eyes drifted to the side for a moment before turning to him. "Everyone has their breaking point, Race.." She knew that all too well herself. "Specially when ones sorrow is overwhelming...And losing someone you are with for so long.." She couldn't pretend she could know the sorrow of his grandfather.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

He nods again slower this time and takes a drink. "Jump ahead again..the summer after this picture." His hand gestures to the photo that started this heart to heart. "He's dying. This same summer I lost my grandmother on dad's side to old age and two close friends. One died of a brain aneurysm, the other was in a car accident and not wearing his seat belt."

"I'm the last person he asks to see. After all my aunts, uncles, sister, mother...everyone. I'm at the bottom of the guest list. But then my teenage years were a nightmare. I didn't want to do anything anyone told me, even my teachers. Actually almost failed high school."

She never went to school so had no idea what the failing meant. Her head tilted and she peered at him. She had an idea ..or at least her reason..why she would ask for someone last.

"Walking down the back hallway to his bedroom felt like a hundred miles." he starts again after a pause to drink.

"I sat down in the chair by the bed, and put my hand on his, which he took weakly. He didn't have much strength then...and he said.." dramatic pause. "There have been a lot of days I've wanted to kick your ass."

"But then I stop, count to ten. And remember a ten year old boy...saving my life."

She finally picked up her glass and raised it to her lips. She almost snickered when she heard the threat. Sometimes people needed a swift kick to get them in line for sure. She was listening for sure but was taking her time sipping the new drink.

The water is traded for the picture as his thumb circles his grandfather' face. "He said, "That ten year old boy is who you are. Your center. Never lose him. Never lose your grip on the boy who collects Nutcracker figurines. Who likes fuzzy slippers and sneaking into the kitchen at midnight for a bowl of chocolate ice cream."

A smile toys at his lips now as he looks around the room, the story perhaps making it more noticeable that there are several wooden nutcracker figurines spaced around the room. "Don't lose the boy."

She felt a question rise for the grandfather..or maybe Race..but it was tucked down. Instead she cradled her glass and watched his expression. There was a lot of love and respect she saw. Maybe a touch of sadness in there. "You took those words to heart." More of a statement then anything else.

When he looks at her, his eyes are glistening. No matter how many years have passed, the memory is still able to drag unshed tears to his eyes. "Yes, I did. He said that...then whispered my grandmother's name as his face lit up happier than I'd seen in years. And he died...right there holding my hand."

"I was told ..that when you die you see your loved ones. Maybe..that is who he saw?" The glass was set down and after some heavy consideration and collecting herself..she reached over to softly squeeze his hand.

Race shakes his head, that's a question he doesn't have an answer to. The squeeze at his hand surprises him greatly considering Katt's not much of a touchy feelings sort. But he returns the squeeze firmly while looking at their hands, holding hands.

She was just having difficulties touching at all lately. Even when it was with Clayton. It took a lot of willpower not to yank her hand from his squeeze. She allowed the touch to remain for a few moments longer before withdrawing her hand. By the clock it was time for her to go. Any later and she might end up borrowing his couch.

Downing the rest of the concoction that he poured there were no words really passed. Just silent comfort until she reached over to offer a quick hug. So quick that by the time he reacted to it she was already scooting out the door and into the night.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Thirteen: The look on his face... :.
Nov 16th

After leaving Race's she roamed the streets, thinking on what she needed to do. Race left her with thoughts she didn't want to have. Thoughts that sent her inner darkness gleeing in delight over the inner turmoil it caused.

Sighing she found the fountain's edge and climbed to sit on the ledge. She sat there, waiting..much like she had nights ago. Even now she still waited for the first snowfall...

She didn't want to miss it...

Clayton came in from the west end of the Marketplace this time, dressed in his usual jeans and a hooded sweatshirt, and nothing else. Long strides and silent steps had him heading for home.

She didn't seem to get far now our days. Sitting on the edge of the fountain her hands were clasped around the hilt of a sword that was nestled between her dangling feet. With her head casted down and the hood drawn low, it was hard to see her face even if one were to dip down. She could of just been thinking..or could of been sleeping..who knows.

He almost missed her, focused as he was on getting home. If it weren't for the slightest whiff of her scent, he would have. But it being the sense he relied on the most, it was the one most sensitive, and what alerted him to her presence, and brought his attention out from his focus, the grren gold eyes scanning around and spying the familiar figure settled on the edge of the fountain. A faint smile touched his lips as he turned and started her way, speaking in his low, purring voice. "Hello, Kathryn. What finds you out here, armed, in the wee hours of the morn?"

Her chin jerked faintly but didn't rise fully. She knew the voice..knew the face..She didn't have to look. It was likely odd that she was carrying a weapon now wasn't it. She being a weapon herself. Bruised lips moved to speak and at first a few silent words were spoken until finally voice followed, "It seems that you are what finds me out here, in this wee hour.."

He moved to settle on the fountain next to her, letting out a softly purring chuckle. "I was referring more to what circumstance. It's not as if you need that, after all, any more than I would." He gestured towards the sword, which he tilted his head to examine for a moment before looking back to her.

Her chin lifted just enough to where her eyes could find them. The violet that outlined her eyes was fighting for dominance over the normal sharp green. "Because I've no choice to or I'd be helpless.." She had totally bypassed the reason for being there didn't she?

He had to let out a snort at that, reachnig out to touch her cheek. "Please. If you're helpless, then so am I. And we both know that's not true. Or at least, I do."

She twitched and shifted a bit away from his touch. When she tilted her head he would see that there was a purple, green, and blue bruise dancing up her cheek. "It is true.. I can't....do anything."

He frowned slightly, pulling his hand back. "That doesn't make you helpless." His eyes shifted in color, just slightly, more towards the gold end of the spectrum as they narrowed a touch. "How did you get that?" His hand gestured slightly towards the bruise on her cheek.

"(vs) I don't know.." She frowned and lowered her eyes to the pommel of her sword. "I woke up on the roof pretty much like this.." She was pretty sure Ed was not going to be thrilled by the dent on the roof on his building.

He only just managed to restrain the growl that came to his throat as she said that; even so, it could be heard clearly in his voice as he spoke. "Perhaps I should go take a look and see if I can sniff it out." He even started to stand as he said that, his eyes looking towards the shape of Batten Tower, mostly finished, towards the far end of the markerplace.

She should tell him that she was planning on leaving. Planning on going away for a while. It was better he wasn't in a position where he ..might get hurt. Even if he said he couldn't..Even if... The sword clicked in its sheath as she looked up. "Feel free." Maybe he would find more then blood like she did. There was no attempt to move from her spot nor did she look in the direction he did. "I have not been able to able to draw on the reevi for a while. It started before Issy tried to kill me.."

He actually got a full step away from the fountain before her last words brought him up short, and he turned to look at her. Protective instincts aside, he knew that wasn't a good sign, not to be able to draw on something that was a part of yourself. "I don't understand...why not?"

"I don't know.." The answer was in full honesty. "I couldn't protect myself when Issy tried to end me." If it had not been for Renna stopping her..she'd be dead right now..no doubt. Though granted Issy's words sliced pretty deep on their own. "It is like..it doesn't even exist."

That got a visible frown from him as he regarded her. "Have you...said anything to anyone else about this?"

"Only recently I've told Race." Recently being like..that night. Normally seeing a frown on his face would bother her and she'd tell him not to worry but she was well beyond that stage.

He nodded to that, a thoughtful look on his face now. "In my people, there is a certain...type of sickness which causes a similar condition...an inability to call upon the animal within. Most times it is a psychological block...when one is trying to reject the dual nature that is an essential part of ourselves." The frown returned as he looked at her, not one of concern, but something more akin to pain. "Have you...considered taking some time to yourself...perhaps to sort it out?" The way he said that was extremely hesitant, filled with apprehension, as though he were afraid to suggest it. "Away from everything...even..." There was a long pause, and the hurt in his tone was impossible to miss this time, but he knew that sometimes, such things were necessary - he'd seen it before. "...even from me...?"

Her eyes drifted closed and she heaved a sigh that dropped her shoulders. "I have been making plans to do just that. I will be leaving in a week or two and I am not telling anyone where I am heading. I'm sorry..but not even you will know.." Her eyes slowly opened to settle on his face. She knew he wouldn't like that..She could tell that he didn't like even suggesting it..

He sighed, his head bowing, his eyes turning towards the ground, refusing to meet hers as he spoke, his voice hoarse. The way his words came from him, it was clear he didn't like saying them. "You have nothing to apologize for, my love. I think...that's a good idea." There was a pause for a moment before he spoke again. "Just so you know...I'll wait...for as long as it takes for you to come back. But I would ask one favor..."

For the first time since his arrival her expression seemed to change, softening. She wanted to reach out to him and hug him.. She didn't move. "A ..favor?"

He nodded, finally raising his gaze to meet hers, a smile coming to his lips that was somewhat forced, but no less genuine for that. His voice was a soft tone, but stronger, warmer, filled with a certain warmth it only seemed to attain with her. "That we spend as much of the time before you leave together as is possible. I would like to give you some memories for your time away that will give you an incentive to want to come back to me, my dear Kathryn."

She blinked at him and finally she drew herself off the edge of the fountain. As much pain as it caused she didn't flinch. Grabbing up her sword she nodded slowly and started to make her way towards him. "I don't need the memories. Your word alone is incentive enough." She stopped at his side and her eyes slid over to him. Diamond sharp in their two-shades. "We can do that. I'd..like that."

Regardless of what other feelings that were clawing at her on the inside... she knew she would like that..

Maybe that was why she felt so ill thinking about spending time with him?

...That wasn't how it was suppose to be...

The walk home with him was in silence, each in their own thoughts. No doubt he didn't like the distance that she kept between them, no matter how small it was.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Fourteen: Graviora Manent - Part One :.
(The worst is yet to come)
Nov 18th

You think Katt would be sitting on the fountain rather than the ground but the fountain offered such a splendid resting place for her back. Legs crossed semi-indian style her sword was resting between her ankles and against her shoulder with folded arms over it. She was just..more or less..watching the sky from beneath the hoodie.

Her long legs were slow in their stride, but Issy had a steadfast partner in her walk. The night air felt incredible to her, like she had awaken from a hundred years' sleep. The Scathachian had one arm linked with the Mogul's, her other arm swung freely at her side. A side which was bereft of weapons.

They moved in companionable silence into the heart of the Marketplace, occasionally muttering something or other in their stroll. Seems the pair have been catching up for a while.

Issy's steps haulted. But this time it wasn't because she was dizzy or needed a rest. Instead, this time her eyes were focused on the small figure near the fountain. She tugged on Race's arm and turned her face to rest her chin against his shoulder. Her chin lifted from Race's shoulder to whisper to him.

Race looks at Katt after Issy tugs on his arm and glances from woman to woman curiously before turning back to Issy and whispering softly to her, "You ready for this?" The words for her ears only.

Issy held on to his arm a moment longer before she pressed her lips together and lightly nodded. A deeeep breath and she turned toward Katt, leaving Race behind for now, she started toward her. "Kathryn?"

The Mogul hangs back a little bit, but his eyes are glued to the girls. Despite the chill, he's in a 'wife' beater and jogging shorts where he and Issy had run into each other, quite literally, at the beach.

The big cat was around, all right. Only, instead of by Katt's side as the man, he was, literally, the big cat, a silent, tawny shadow, prowling about the rooftops, not far away from the young woman his eyes rarely left. Now, as the others approached, he ceased his endless prowling, settling into a crouch, the green-gold eyes peering out from the darkness to focus, ears tiled forward to listen, intent and alert.

Katt's chin lowered and her near violet filled eyes landed on the two. For a long moment she just stared at Race but slowly turned to look at Issy. There was no burning stare but the heavy weight of her eyes didn't change despite the hue. No words..just staring.

"Katt, I..." She swallowed. What the hell do you say to a person after you tried to kill them?

Ebon'd been doing some late-night window browsing when he came upon the fountain square. First he saw Katt, then Isuelt and then Race. Given that the two women seemed about to have a much-needed talk, Ebon moved to approach the Mogul with a nod.

"I'm so....sorry." Issy's voice nearly faltered. It was a good thing she was so close to Katt by now.

The first urge Katt felt wasn't exactly a friendly one. In fact it was a quite violent, disturbing urge. The green in her eyes bloomed a bit as she shook her head. "What are you apologizing to me for..." It wasn't really a question..

The nod from Ebon is returned though Race's eyes remain glued to Katt and Issy like a pasty clinging for life on a stripper's tit. "Long time."

The big cat moved, slowly, silently, the shadow creeping closer to the women, a predator stalking prey, sleek and silent and focused and ready.

"Katt, I...I wasn't right. I was sick. Very, very sick. I would never...never, ever hurt you. I love you, Katt. I'm so, so, so sorry. You'll never even know how sorry I am for what I tried to do to you. For...for what I said to you."

"Yes, it's been a while." He, too, was watching Isuelt and Katt have their heart-to-heart. "How is she?" Ebon meant Isuelt.

Katt's chin slowly raised and she laughed. It was low and bordered on cold. "You aren't sorry.. What Renna did to you? All it did was bring out what you really wanted to say and do. You meant every stabbing word just as you meant every single blow of your sword." The laughter ceased and she glanced sharply to the side..Clayton's direction.

She swallowed sharply, crest-fallen. Though her eyes darted to the motion to the side. Issy spotted the big cat. Isuelt was taken aback for a moment, her hands automatically going to her hips, only to find nothing there but her pants. Her breath exhaled as she finally realized that must be Clayton. She took a step back, figuring that he hated her just as much as Katt did....and might even attack.

Clayton did nothing of the sort, simply edging closer and coming to a halt, the green-gold eyes focused, almost unblinking. Despite appearances, he wasn't there for the purpose of hurting anyone...he was there for protection. And not to protect Katt, either, but rather to protect everyone else...

"Shaken, not stirred." he says to Ebon though marginally tenses at the big cat. What the hell was a thing like that doing in town? Part of him wants to call Animal Control. However Race watches for right now as it hasn't tried to eat anyone. Yet.

"Katt..." There really is no way to make someone take an apology if they don't want it. Those dark eyes ticked back and forth between Katt and her big cat. "I'm....I regret everything...you have no idea...." Her voice caught in her throat.

Katt slowly pushed herself up to her feet and she turned to Issy. "Your deepest feelings. Your inner hatred for me. Tell me I am wrong...Go ahead Issy. Tell me that look in your eyes was because of the virus. It made you do it." Her lips curved a bit. She wondered if Issy knew how deep her words cut. Deeper then the swords ever did.

Recognizing Clayton for who he was, Ebon didn't react as Race did, but he kept his mind open and ready, just in case.

"Of course I don't hate you, Katt! How could you ever say that? I was infected with Rage. Literally!" She could hear her blood racing in her ears. Now...in the days leading up to her....episode...that meant trouble. She shut her eyes tightly, praying that whatever had transpired at Batten's home with Renna, had really cured her. We would see, wouldn't we?

The big cat's motions had been languid, slow and fluid, stealth its purpose, silent observation its intent. He had been relaxed up until this point - now, though, as Katt got to her feet, the big mountain lion tensed, going still as it moved to bring its feet in under itself, the coiled look of the hunter ready to pounce at the necessary moment.

Nothing came. Nothing happened. Issy drew a breath and opened her eyes, relieved beyond words. Her voice was softer now, "Katt. You are a beautiful friend, and I want to try and apologize for what I said and did. It wasn't me, though I feel more than guilty for it. More than you'll ever know. Please, just hear me. You don't have to accept my apology, but please hear what I say." Her eyes looked to the cat, not liking the new posture at all.

It was probably hard to see in the darkness, but the animal's attention, his posture - it wasn't focused on Issy, but rather, on Katt.

Race glances at Ebon and mutters softly. "Don't think I'll get used to being the least dangerous person in the room, now." Might be a lie considering the Mogul is a smart guy, and smart guys always cover their arses.

"Exactly..As I said your deepest feelings." She saw Issy's moment of weakness and her hand clenched the sheathed weapon, her thumb pressing the guard up."I am listening.."

The lips curled back, and from the mountain lion came a low, growling purr, tensing further as the claws slid from their sheaths for surety of footing, should he need to launch himself.

"So how are things at the Wonderplex? Got any plans for the next season?" Ebon's tone was casual, almost flippant, but he still kept his eyes on Katt and Isuelt.

At this moment, Issy'd rather die than show any faltering or weakness like she'd suffered earlier in Race's presence on the beach. Even amid Clayton's low growling, she drew a deep, long, slow breath and willed herself to stand erect and begin. "Kathryn, I love you. You are so very dear to me. Don't you understand that I look to you to protect, to laugh with, to talk to? There is nothing that I regret more than harming you the way that I did. I do not think ill things of you, save when you close up and don't talk to me. When you don't tell me what's wrong, or what's bothering you. I feel helpless then. And I hate feeling helpless." She paused, she'd had quite enough of that helpless feeling as of late. "The fact that I raised a hand to you, much less my swords, breaks my heart. I saw everything that I was doing, and it was like I was trapped inside, not able to stop myself, not able to make myself stand down."

Hearing Isuelt, Ebon closed his eyes as an empathetic shudder ran through him.

"Looking at expanding the children's Wonderground." he says before pushing a button on his watch. Who knows what that does. Race does take a few steps towards Issy and Katt. Not enough to be an intrusive presence, just closer in case he has to do something Anti-Heroic-ish. Ish is good.

Katt's sword hissed from its sheath when she heard the growl from Clayton and she glanced to him but kept her face to Issy. "Your words sliced far deeper." She was so terribly tempted to show Issy exactly how deep her words sliced. For a moment her eyes rolled closed and her head tilted to the side. "You see me nothing more than a child.."

"And were the roles reversed..." Race finally says. Not taking a side, though that may be the interpretation. "Under Renna's Rage, how many of us might you attack for treating you as a child in the past because of how young you look? How your features belie the experience and understanding of a skilled fighter?" He's just sayin'.

The Scathachian took a step backwards. This was not going at all how she'd imagined a hundred scenarios in her head.

Ebon's lips curved into a wry grin as he listened to Race's comment.

Katt's eyes snapped open and she looked over to Race. "She was calling me a child before...In fact she called it to me after her friend tried to rape me." Her head straightened. "It is just my body after all..Isn't that right..Isuelt."

She shook her head at Katt, "What are you saying? I...I'd never say that."

Ebon's black-gloved hands clenched into fists, then quickly opened.

"Yes..you did. Right here in fact." The sword slashed the air and lowered to her side, tip pointing in the direction of Clayton.

Race winces at that, this was a topic the two women had long overdue. But while he could placate sides about Renna related grievances. Katt's true issue was between herself and Issy.

"Katt! I only was glad that nothing had happened! No one did that to you! What do you think I was sitting around hoping that @sshole would do that to you? If he had, his head would be rotting in my gardens at the Sanctuary!"

The sword was ignored, not even given consideration as a threat or even a danger. Clayton had no fear of a blade, after all.

Katt's chin shot down and she glared at Issy, the violet in her eyes claiming more of the green. "Says the one who took th-" her brows furrowed suddenly and she closed her eyes, free hand raising up to her head. "(vs) I..don't..hate you.."

"Goddess damnit, Katt! You are so stubborn sometimes, I swear you only hear what you want to! I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry I ever raised a hand to you, I'm sorry I said terrible things to you when I was dying! I'm f*cking sorry that I didn't go after Tommy and shred him to pieces for you!" She was shaking, but she was amazed that her body was sailing along. No red, no rage. Goddess be praised. The Scathachian fell to her knees in front of Katt, "You want to take it out on me? Do it. Go ahead and do it. I deserve it. A slash for a slash." Her lips pursed as she prepared for who knew what.

Taking a deep breath, Ebon watched the scene in silence, letting it play out but ready to help pick up the pieces. Like Race, he recognized that this was between the two women.

Inch by inch, Race's edged closer to an intercept course if things went Boo Radley. Giving distance, but ready to swoop in.

"You really don't get it.." Her eyes snapped open and she looked at Issy. She seemed to take that offer right up. Clenching the sword she lunged forward at Issy.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

It was like he was waiting for the signal. The movement was silent, elegance in motion, as accurate and swift as an arrow launched from an archer's bow, as the big cat's muscles uncoiled and released their tension they had been holding, a tawny blur of fur and muscle that shot from its perch, aimed right at Katt.

It's not thought that spurs him, Race's body some how getting in front of Issy where Katt lunges, arms wide. He'd rather bleed than see Rhydin lose either woman.

Isuelt had faith. She had for a long time. She had faith in her goddess. She had faith in Katt. Her eyes shut. She trusted Katt, she knew it would hurt. She knew she deserved it.

Lifting a hand, Ebon made a staying gesture towards Race, but it was too late.

At first, she thought Katt had launched herself at her. Isuelt's body was knocked flat onto her back, though when she opened her eyes, it was Race and not Katt that was on top of her. And she heard Clayton's growl as she looked past Race's shoulder and saw a tawny blur.

Race in the way wouldn't of stopped Katt but the sudden giant cat pouncing her? Her body yanked to the side like a doll as she went down with the tackle. Instantly she raised a hand up to push under the maw of the great cat. "Get off me you pest!"

Ebon could likely have separated all of them from each other, but... that would only have let things fester longer.

Katt might as well have been pushing at a rock slide that had fallen on her, for all the good it did her, as Clayton landed atop her and put both great paws on her shoulders, the green-gold eyes boring into Katt's as he lowered his head to be almost nose to nose with her, ignoring the hand under his jaw. Not a growl now, not a purr, just the patient, focused look of the predator as he simply...stared, for a long moment, the long, thick tail lashing back and forth. The feline head moved, once to the left, then to the right, then back to center. The meaning was clear enough, a silent, emphatic 'No'.

"Good thing I didn't call for Animal Control..." Race mutters under his breath, still standing over Issy. Though he did look at Ebon. And it was a clear, be ready, sort of look.

Katt's eyes narrowed and she glowered at the great cat. "I wasn't going to hurt her.." She tried to push his head but there was a lack of strength on her end. Him touching her, however, gave this urge to stab him. Her hand trembled with the urge, trying to shove it down. She didn't want to hurt him.

Ebon nodded back at Race, just once.

Race hears Katt and blinks as he frowns. If tha'ts true, Katt needs to work for Shanachie.

Clayton could feel the way she shook, knew the reason wasn't a good one, and yet he didn't move. Not yet. Instead, he leaned down, just enough to touch his nose to hers again, a rumbling purr in his throat. Even with that affectionate sound, the hunter's look never left his features, though his eyes betrayed his thoughts, seeming almost to say, 'I know better'.

She was! Katt was actually moving to hug Issy but being touched as she was spurred something that seemed to be driving her nuts. The rumbling sound offered no comfort and seemed to send her thrashing. "NHHHH! STOP!" By the shrill you'd think Clayton was taking a chunk of her flesh out.

Issy shook her head at Race and looked around as she then slowly began to get to her feet.

"Clayton." Ebon looked at the big cat. "Let her up. She won't hurt Isuelt."

"Katt!" Issy clutched at Race's shoulder and looked to where Clayton stood on top of the screaming Katt.

"Wait...that's Clayton?" Race blinks in utter confusion. "Dafuq?!"

Issy winced at the shrill scream, though she stayed with Race. It was all she could do to nod her head at him, the lengthy explanation would have to come later. She heard Ebon's voice and looked in that direction. "What's happening to her?" Clearly Clayton was not tearing into her like it sounded.

"I don't know." Ebon stepped towards Katt and the Cat.

"Have to wait till Clayton stopps lion on her." Race says.

Despite the situation, Ebon looked over at Race and just shook his head at the horrible pun.

Clayton didn't seem ready to move, but as Ebon approached he complied, though first he swiped a paw at her sword to send it sliding away. Only then did he move his weight off of Katt, his features neutral, his eyes...hurt. Turning so she wouldn't see that, he moved for the sword and leaned down to pick up the hilt in his teeth, then paced away on silent, velvet paws, slipping into the shadows.

Race offers Issy's hand a squeeze. "That was pretty hairy, gotta admit."

Issy blinked in disbelief as she watched Clayton disarm Katt. Her voice breathed in a whispered volume, "I swear I thought he was going to rip me to pieces before Katt did..." Her espresso gaze looked to Race. There was still a spell of shame over her expression.

Watching Clayton slink off, a frown forms on Ebon's features before looking back to Katt. A lot of prides were hurt just now he senses.
He knelt beside Katt, but didn't touch her. "Katt?"

It was a lucky thing Clayton did because she likely would of stabbed him in the eye the first chance she got. Once the weight was gone Katt just laid there, struggling to breath and staring at the sky but the moment she heard Ebon's voice her eyes snapped to him, ice cold and as if she were ready to end him.

Race exhales a breath and walks towards Katt, on the other side opposite Ebon. "Remember what you told me at the Glen?" He says to her and....offers her his hand. If she chooses to, or stab him.

Issy moved to tap her ear...but she had no Avengers device there to call Batten. Her fingers ran over the small monitor that he'd placed at her waist. Short of having a heart attack, she didn't know if that would even work to get his attention. "I....I don't know if I can get him here." She breathed to Race and Ebon. And Clayton, too. Even though a conversation with him in this form would be challenging at best.

Ebon met Katt's icy gaze with his own dark eyes. "Don't give me that look, Kathryn. Are you ill?"

It was a near reaction the moment Race's hand went out. Katt slapped it away and the look he got was as if he were nothing more than filth to her. "No I do not." Heels pressed to the ground she made sure to inch away from the two before sitting up. "Leave me be." There was a pause as she stood up. "All of you!"

The big cat was already gone, having headed east, possibly for home. That was the direction the distinctive scream of the catamount came from, cutting through the night, though it was a distant thing.

Issy was holding her ground, watching Race and Ebon try to tend to Katt. To no avail. The Judge glanced toward Clayton...but he was gone. "Oh goddess..." She looked up and closed her eyes for a moment. This was so not the way she wanted this to go. Isuelt tapped, tapped, tapped on the device at her waist. "Where are you?"

Race looks at Katt....with pity. Clear and loud. "Katt, I know you're in there. Even if you let the ***** come to the surface."

There was a brief flash in Ebon's eye, a pinpoint of light like a star, and then it was gone. "As you wish." Leaving Katt to Race, he walked over to
Isuelt, drawing the Avengers com-badge from inside his vest and handing it to her. "Try this."

As she watched Katt's interaction with the men, she had a sinking feeling. Katt was acting similar to the way she acted when she was infected. What if Katt was infected with this rage? "Come on...come on...Batten....come on..." She hit the device at her waist hard enough to send a ripple of pain through her midsection. With a wince, she breathed and looked up to the heavens. "Great Hera..."

For now the woman would settle a distance away and on a roof top. Naveen wasn't intending to pry, just be there in case Race needed a hand.

Swallowing past the shock of pain, Issy looked to Ebon. "Man..." A second too late, eh? The Judge took hold of the device and nodded to him. "Thanks." Tapping it, she spoke quietly, knowing perfectly well she didn't need to shout. "This is Nails. Ranger, you out there? Ranger? Marketplace now. It's...it's Katt."

Katt twitched violently and looked off in the direction the cat with in anger. How dare it take her sword! Sliding a few steps back she looked to the trio and her eyes narrowed in on the item Ebon was passing over. There was a snort. She almost spouted off how who they were calling didn't have the time. Instead she turned and started to move down the street, opposite of the way the great cat had gone.

"Little Katt, running away." Yep, Race was baiting her.

The badge wasn't necessary - in moments the high-pitched whining roar of thrusters could be heard approaching from overhead, reaching a crescendo just before they cut off and the black-and-silver armored figure dropped out of the dark sky, landing heavily on the stones of the marketplace before the armor began to retract and reform itself into the long, black trenchcoat wrapped around the Playboy, right in Katt's path. "Sorry...I was working on something."

Race's bait didn't work. No Kattfish for him tonight. In fact Katt didn't even seem to miss a step even when her brother was suddenly in her way. She sidestepped and continued on without a word uttered to him.

The high-pitched whine got the Scathachian's attention as she looked to the sky in time to see him landing. A worried frown on her face as she looked from Ed to Katt, then she put a hand on Ebon's shoulder and handed back the com device to him.

This Katt and the one who came to his house with treats to apologize are two different women and Race knew it. "Ed, stop her. That's not our Katt. it's a shadow."

Issy blinked, hearing Race and took a few steps forward.

Ebon returned the com-badge to its inner pocket, then looked over at Katt and Ed before turning back to Isuelt. "I don't believe it's Renna's virus. This is something that's been a part of Katt longer than we've known her, I fear."

Ed turned to follow Katt's progress, arching an eyebrow as he looked her over, his head tilting slightly to the side as though listening something before he spoke. "Yer gonna wanna stop right dere, sis. Or Ah'm gonna hafta stop ya, an' Ah'd really pr'fer not t'do dat."

She was midway in between Race and Ebon, trying to keep an eye on the Battens. But Ebon's words had Issy looking over her shoulder at him, a question plain on her face.

Hearing Race she sighed. Katt's head rocked and she looked over to Ed. "I'm going away for a while. Ask Clayton for the details. It is..better this way.." Her words were a murmur at best. Her lips did twitch a bit and she looked at Ebon. How right he was...

"Oh bullsh!it!" Issy nearly growled herself at hearing part of what Katt had said. The part about going away.

"The rest of us run and hide to deal with our ***** and it's a problem for you. But we're supposed to sit with our thumbs up our arses. when you do it? No flippin way, sister!" Race growls out.

Issy stepped up to stand beside Race. They were on the same page here. After all, hadn't she just poured her heart out to Katt and said that this is what hurt her the most? When Katt ran away or wouldn't share her problems?

Ed's eyes narrowed a bit, as he kept on listening, and he shook his head. "Ah'm 'fraid Ah ain't okay wit' dat...whoever ya are." He didn't move from the spot where he was standing, but his posture shifted, subtly, as he regarded her, then looked back at the others. "Dat ain't Kat y'all're talkin' to...dat's some...t'ing...else. Not somet'in' o'Renna's, neit'er." He turned to look at Katt again. "Las' chance. Come wit' me quietly, now, or we go an' do dis de hard way."

Ebon met Katt's gaze. "Let her go."

"Maybe you would like me to bring you back to the Abyss. Or maybe something far worse.." Katt's eyes flicked to Race. Was that a threat? Maybe.. Her head craned and she looked to Ed. Her eyes remained on Ed for a long period. Oh the things that wanted to spill out but hearing Ebon she looked to him then Ed. She had no intentions on going with him. She was not..going to put him or any of them in danger...

"Ed, Race, Isuelt... let her go." Ebon spoke out.

"Bring it Shelab, I survived the last time." Grr, Race's tough face is put on.

Ed shook his head, not looking at Ebon, though he addressed him. "Sorry, ol' hoss, Ah can't do dat. Not wit'out a damn good reason. She wouldn' let me go, if Ah was in her place."

From Race, Issy next looked to Ebon. "No. We can't. We can't just let her suffer this alone." She pushed her boots against the cobblestone and began a slow walk toward Katt, her arms open. Katt...or whatever this was... hadn't sliced open her throat when she was prone, she was betting she wouldn't do it now. "Please..."

"Friends give each other aid. Not carry one another. Those were your words, do you even remember? If you don't want aid, we'll carry you...kicking and screaming." Race shakes a fist at Katt.

A brow ticked up. "Shelab?" Yep..Katt had no clue what he meant by that and normally she would of giggled at his grr face. For a long moment she was silent. She didn't know which bothered her more..Race or Ed. "(s) It is something I go to do Ed..I can't...keep putting people in danger. I need time..for myself.." Her eyes snapped to Issy and she began to cower away, head shaking. "I-Issy don't.."

"Stay with us...let us help you..." Issy legs continued pursuing her. "We love you. We want to help you."

Race's shoulders slump a bit. "F*ck a duck..." he sighs He's running out of motivational things here!

Ed sighed, rolling his eyes. "Please. Yer as much a danger t'me as a fly is. Ya want time t'yerself? Fine, ya can have it...after Ah get a good look at...whate'er de hell is goin' on inside ya. An' after Ah tag ya so Ah can find ya later."

Naveen frowned while watching Race's distress. Finally she descended to the man's side. Eyes fell on the 'family' and watched, unsure of what to do or say to help in any way.

Ed's words flared some rage. "I ain't no freaking experiment!" Yeah thanks for that rattle Ed! Katt turned on her heels and made a dash down the street.

"You make her sound like property, Ed." There was an edge in Ebon's voice. "She's your sister, not some wild beast."

"Katt you're one hot dog out of a bunch, just stay in the pot!" Race calls after her.

As close to Katt as she was, and as focused as she was on her, Batten's words elicted a flicker of a brow arch. Issy figured that device at her waist was something just like he was...hey! Katt took off! Isuelt kicked her heels into the cobblestone and took off after her.

"F*ckberries" he mutters as Issy and Katt take off. Race looks to Naveen then back, talk about crossroads.

"ED!" Issy knew he was much faster than she was.

Ed looked at Ebon at that, arching an eyebrow. "Ya ever tried findin' her when she don' wanna be found? Ah know of one person on de whole planet dat can manage it, an' after dis evenin', Ah'm not sure he's gonna do it." He looked after Katt as she took off, sighing. "Dammit..." He reached inside the trenchcoat and touched the trigger switch, and within moments, the armor was back around him, the thrusters lighting off to kick him into the air, arching high overhead and coming down to land right in Katt's path again.

There was an upturned brow to Race when he looked at her then back towards Katt. Lips turned into a frown before Naveen spoke softly," She desires solitude. Should it not be given?"

What she wouldn't give to have her reevi right now. Katt was at full sprint so when he landed she met metal with a thwack.. At least her head didn't hit it. Both hands smacked the suit and she started to push off. She hissed up Ed through clenched teeth. "You aren't poking and prodding at me!"

"Not when we all know damn well she's not going to let anyone know where she is." Then he's sprinting up the street. Seems when motivated, the Mogul can move. Talkin like a Gazelle or something.

Coming up behind Katt, her boot heels skidded to a stop. Issy's dark eyes were wide as she look between the Battens.

Overhearing Naveen, Ebon looked in her direction. "My thoughts exactly. There's a time for intervention, and there's a time for giving space. I'm of a mind that this is the latter... but I seem to be in the minority here." Then he took to the air after everyone, silently dropping to land near Katt and Ed.

At least Race wasn't prancing down the street singing 'I'm a pony, I'm a pony'?
Not yet, anyway.

Ed shook his head at Katt, the helmet retracting, the rest of the armor staying in place. "No, Ah'm not. No pokin', no proddin'...ya jus' gotta lie down an' be still fer a bit while Ah take a scan o'ya, an' den yer free t'go...wherever ya want."

Naveen nodded to that and sprung into action. With a woosh she sped after Race and scooped him up. Role reversal time. With her speed of flight, she was able to close the distance faster than he could.

"What about the tagging?" Ebon asked.

Having been out of Katt's social loop for so long, Race's not about let her pull the rug on him. Homey don't play that way. Hey! He looks at Naveen as she scoops him up. "Great...now I know how Batman feels..." he whispers under his breath.

Katt sneered at the suit but figuring if it got him off her back ...She relaxed a bit. "Fine but your word..A scan and I am gone."

Where the grup had come to a stop, Naveen let down Race before she landed herself. Then she looked to him and motioned. "Go save your friend."

"An' no, yer not an experiment...yer my sister, an' right now, b'fore ya go anywhere, Ah wanna be sure dat whate'er Ah'm registerin' inside o'ya right now ain't gonna cause some kinda explosion dat wipes de only fam'ly Ah have off de face o'de planet." Ed looked at Ebon, rolling his eyes. "Ya didn' t'ink Ah was gonna put a collar on 'er or somet'in', did ya? Ah got ways o'doin' it dat don' involve actually havin' 'er carry a tracer around...hell, she'd probably just get rid o'it, even if Ah could implant somet'in, she'd jus' dig it out."

Issy missed Race being swept off of his feet behind her, but at least she was able to breathe a bit of a sigh of relief as he heard Katt relinquish.

Damn straight she would. There was a comment hanging on her tongue that was ever so cruel..just for Edward. But Katt just folded her arms and waited.

That made Ebon smile. "You are smart, after all." His expression was good-natured teasing.

Issy couldn't help it. She gave Ebon a look over her shoulder.

Race blinks then looks at Naveen. "Go to my house, get my slippers." Is all he tells her. Odd as it may be.

One brow quirks up, but Naveen nods and takes flight once more.

Katt's always telling him it's his mind that makes him great. Race's gonna test that faith.

"Smarter'n de avergae bear, dat's me." Ed offered a hand out to Katt. "If Ah do find somet'in', tough, ya better b'lieve Ah'm gonna come get ya. An' ya can wipe dat look offa yer face, li'l sis. Whate'er yer thinkin' o'sayin' t'me, Ah'm perty sure yer not de one dat's act'ally t'inkin' it." He paused a moment, then threw something she'd said to Issy back at her. "Unless whate'er's influenin' ya is just lettin' ya voice yer 'true feelin's'. In which case, Ah still ain't gonna cut ya outta my will."

Taking that sharp gaze of hers from Issy she looked back to Ed and Katt. She flinched a touch at Ed's words.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

One eyebrow arched as he looked back at Isuelt, and then he turned back to Ed. "To be honest, I was beginning to think that, yes, the way you were talking. Thank you for clarifying." The thought of "tagging" had struck just a little too close to home for Ebon.

Was it supposed to take her long to retrieve his slippers? No, not when she knew where they were. when she returned, Naveen landed softly, holding to a pair of plush, fuzzy lion slippers. She offered them out to Race as she studied him inquisitively.

Katt's eyes rolled. "Have I ever been one to really hold my tongue? Get your scan done and leave me be." Her brows twitched a bit. She didn't quite understand the whole concept of a will so that seemed to be lost on her.

Race takes them from her, resolve set and marches right up to Katt. Fuzzy lion slippers in hand. Their tawny faces looking oh so cute. "If you're so damn set on this madness." He thrusts the slippers right out at her, putting the cuteness full in her face. "Don't. Forget. The boy."

"Race..." Issy canted her head to the side, utterly confused at what he was doing, she took the moment to move a few steps closer. And now did she note the striking green-haired woman.

The woman turned her eyes to Issy and she bowed her head softly. Naveen's eyes however quickly return to Race as he shoves slippers in Katt's face. Lord she hoped they didn't smell.

Did...did that woman just bring Race slippers?

She sure did.

Ed eyed Katt. "Ya jus' did...Ah know ya pretty well, Katt, enough t'know when yer t'inkin' o' sayin' somet'in' an' shoosin' not to. Ya do it more often dan ya t'ink." He still offered the hand out to her. "An' Ah ain't doin' de scan here, yer comin' home wit' me t'get it done by Di."

Issy was certainly quiet as she slowly turned her espresso gaze once more toward the Battens. Her lips parted to say something, but she pressed those lips together. She could have said something to answer Katt's question, but she questioned whether it was really her place. She voted on no.

Katt did too or Ed was carrying her home. She stared at the slippers before sliding over to Ed and taking the offered hand. "For all I know those slippers have something in them." And they were too cute to tear apart damn it!

Ed pulled Katt to her feet with a chuckle as he eyed the slippers. "Yeah, prob'ly at'lete's foot or somet'in'. Ya might wanna disinfect 'em."

Race shakes them at her. "That's Ed's department, not mine. I'm full frontal and you know it." Is his response as the lions are held steadfast right up for her to take. "Don't forget the boy." He repeats. He's taking a major gamble with this, knowing the others think he's nuts.

Ebon doesn't think Race is nuts. He's... eccentric.

Her arms folded over her sweatered chest. Issy's attention was all over the place. And presently she was simply watching Race and those weird slippers.

Naveen doesn't think Race's nuts, he is nuts. But then again, his kind of nuts worked very well. That's why she's trying to get his ring back.

Katt's face totally went red. Thanks Race...Grumbling she yanked the fluffy slippers out of Race's grasp and hugged them to her chest.

Okay, brows up. Katt's reaction utterly surprised Issy. It seemed that Race was just as able as Ed to get her to simmer. The Judge turned her brows up expression to Ed.

A grin spread across Ebon face as he watched Katt hugging the slippers.

Naveen simply nodded, satisfied that Race's trick had worked.

Yay! He some would squeal, but there's company present so Race has to be all grr, serious. Watching her take the slippers he nods, and smiles broadly at her. "You're family Katt. It's who you choose." His hands slowly drop then. Of course that's when he finally notices how flippin cold it's gotten and hugs himself!

Ed shrugged at that, not having a clue what that was all about. Letting Katt's hand go, she gestured towards the direction of the Haven, beyond hte mostly-completed form of the new Batten Tower. "After you, sis."

Dark eyes look to Naveen. "You might want to ring something up to keep him warm, before he catches his death of cold." Ebon nodded towards Race.

There was a glance to Ebon before Naveen nodded. The ring glowed and a glowing green coat wrapped Race up like a hug.

Issy blew out a breath, feeling a little uneasy. Like maybe this was her fault. Isuelt pondered if her actions were the catalyst for this event, and as Ed moved past her, she whispered an "I'm sorry."

Katt stared at Race before turning around and starting to walk in the direction her brother gestured. Get it over with and then she could leave..get things fixed like Clayton said. There was just..something wrong with her and she hated it..

Ed shook his head as he passed Issy, pausing to lay a ahdn on her shoulder and give it a fainst squeeze with a smile. "Not yer fault, chere. Somet'in' tells me dis has been comin' fer a while, well b'fore what happened when ya were infected."

"If they matter to you, you make the time." Race calls after Katt. It's like he and Katt have their own language or something, or he's just rambling because it's cold and the coat hasn't warmed him up just yet. However he does smile to Naveen. "Uhm, thanks..."

"About that..." Issy stalled briefly then looked at him. She licked her lips and nodded. Her mouth formed words though no sound was ushered forth. Her lips curled around 'Thanks' for him. She ran a hand through her hair, then turned her chin to cast a worried glance toward Katt.

If it could warm, heat up even, it begins to. Eyes soften at the smile she receives before Naveen nods to Race. "Welcome." A smile returned in trade.

Ebon raised an eyebrow and seemed about to speak after hearing Ed's words to Isuelt, but decided against it.

Katt heard Race but her steps carried her with a strong gait to where she was suppose to go. After a bit she took the time to store the slippers in her messanger bag so they didn't get lost.

Watching Katt and Ed move off, and that coat warm up. Race has two thoughts. I need to make a self-warming jacket like this. And. Dear lord they are going to remember those slippers, never hear the end of this.

Ed gave Issy a smile and nodded. "Ya'd do de same fer me, darlin'." Letting her go, he headed off after Katt, still clad in armor, the footfalls heavy on the stones of the street as he moved to catch up to her, echoing ino the darkness.

Some walk, Issy thought to herself as she looked from Batten to Race and back again.

"She'll be all right." Ebon said it with hope.

Naveen stayed back, hands behind her back.

"Money she shanks him and makes for it?" Race offers to the others with a tilt of his head. Ed was out of earshot right?

"Not likely." Beat. "Clayton took her sword, remember?"

A momentary scowl toward Race. Issy was wondering if she should follow them. After all, she still was in that strange no man's land of whether or not she was ready to totally return home.

"Really think that'd stop her? I mean, she's Kitty Rider." Race shrugs and looks to Naveen. "Well, might as well introduce yourself, Nav."

No there was no shanking. In fact there was no words offered to her brother as they walked. Katt's head was pounding and she wasn't enjoying it so that had most of her attention.

Ebon looked at Isuelt. "Don't. Let him run his scan, and then let her take her solitude. Sometimes introspection can be better for healing one's soul than the comfort of friends. I think this is one of those times."

There was a nod to Race and then Naveen looked to Issy and Ebon. "I am Green Lantern Naveen..."

"A pleasure to meet you, Naveen. I am Ebon Ilnaren."

Issy's gaze flickered to Ebon, her lips parted and paused. After she looked to the retreating Battens, she returned her attention to Ebon. "Sure." It's just that I actually feel safe there. Though that part she left out.

"You know.." Race says to Ebon. "I was fine with her going off. But, she bitched me out when I did it. No way am I going to let her get to parade around the hypocrite card. She's better than that." Better than all of us some days..he adds for himself mentally.

Ed caught up to Katt easily and slowed to walk beside her. After a few beats he spoke. "Oh, by de way, when ya get time, after ya get back from...well, where'er it is yer goin'...Ah got a coupla presents fer ya."

Hearing Naveen then, Issy blinked and looked from her to Race and back again. Dark brows arching up conveyed a bit of surprise. "Pleasure." She held a hand out for the female Green Lantern, though she glanced to Race once again.

"Well, if she tried to disappear, my son would probably track her down. He has spies everywhere." Ebon said that with a perfectly straight face.

"Well met Ebon Ilnaren." Naveen's head bows to him. Don't mind that she's in that green skin tight uniform still. When the hand was offered out, she gave it a shake and nodded. "Well met." Was said to Issy.

Katt blinked slowly. Aside from the pcui she couldn't really think of anything Ed has given her that could be considered a present. No..the penthouse doesn't count! Slowly her eyes shifted to him and a brow perked up. "Oh?" Strike her curious or she could be faking..Who knows.

Ebon had managed to avoid noticing the skin-tight uniform.

Issy noticed. Which was probably why she was giving Race such a curious look.

I'm never going to see those slippers again, Race thinks with some inner anguish. He just hopes Katt takes good care of them. Then he's looking at the others with a nod. "Nav went through the academy with me." He offers to them. "We were in the same training squad."

"That's a lifetime bond."

Taking back her hand a ghost of a grin is on Naveen's lips at Race's explination. "He was rather crafty and cunning. It was at points enjoyable to watch him use his imagination to come up with a way to save our heads."

There was a smirk on Issy's lips that she was trying with all her might to surpress. "Yeah, well he's sort of known for that crafy cunningness here too." See that? See that smirk?

Race has the grace to cough and look away before she makes him blush. "Someone had to. I wanted that squad leader spot from day one. Lost it on day two...but we won't go there." He groans a bit remembering how many times he was promoted and demoted in that first year.

Naveen smiles softly. "Indeed." This to Issy before she looked to Race. "It's because you continued to question limits and boundaries. And to be frank, that's something that is needed, not shunned or taken away." There was a purse of her lips. She would get his ring back if it meant sacrificing her own.

Ed nodded as they walked, leaving the market. "Yep. One of 'em is sorta a jacked up version o'Tylenol, tailored t'work wit' yer body chemistry t'help ya wit' yer headaches...gotta test it, t'ough." A grin twitched at his lips. "De ot'er...well. Suffice it t'say yer gonna need some trainin' t'get de hang o'usin' it."

A light smile at Naveen's words, though that same terse expression was once more cast toward the Battens. Issy's voice trailed off into a light question to the trio as she watched them. "Think she's gonna be okay?"

"Hey, they called my actions near criminal." Race wags a finger at her. "You were there, you know they didn't like my response at all. Tight wadded genie smurfs." He grumbles.

Oh mah gawd Ed made her asprin. Maybe. "Something that might actually work. That would be nice. What about that tranquilizer I asked you to into?" Yes Katt thought about these things funny enough. Rubbing her head she realized she probably wouldn't mind one of those asprins..if they did work.. "How long will it take your scan?"

"You punched Jordan in the face, Race... of course their panties would be in a bunch. I frankly... had to keep from laughing." The finger wag had Naveen smirking at him.

A sniff at that. "Pretty boy had that coming." All Race'll say to that before looking at Issy. "If she's not, we'll need a good can opener."
Race's description of the Guardians--yes, Ebon knew of them--gave him a brief chuckle, before he looked to Isuelt and answered her. "She's strong." A heavy sigh escaped his lips. "As I mentioned before, I think what's going on with her goes back long before she came to Rhy'din."

Naveen merely grinned and shook her head.

Still looking off into the distance, Issy took in the words of the trio, digesting them. Though it was a moment before she looked questioningly to Race. "Can opener?"

"A while back, Katt... let me into her mind, just enough to view a memory of something she'd seen, to help locate... well, I won't describe the details, not my place, but that day I gained a measure of respect for Katt that I will never lose." Then Ebon, too, looked at Race. "What, to get Ed out of his suit?"

Ed shook his head at the question of a tranquilizer. "Not yet. Yer body metabolizes t'ings diffr'ntly, but if de headache medicine works, Ah should be able t'work up somet'in'." He turned to look at her as they walked. "Well, Ah'm gonna do a complete readout o'yer vitals an' bioelectric signature...prob'ly take a couple hours or so. Could prob'ly let ya use m'gym while Di's takin' her readings, or ya could get a nap."

Ebon just points a finger gun at Ebon as if to say, bingo.

A hardee-har-har expression was shared between Race and Ebon at that.

Ebon found out why Katt's mind is blocked to the world. There are just some things in there..that would drive a insane person sane.. Her nose wrinkled but she didn't look at him. In fact she seemed to very well be avoiding that. "I'll get some rest in." Because once she was done she was out of there.

Of course Naveen didn't get it.

Meanwhile, back in Rhy'din... "I should be heading home." Ebon announced.

Issy Her hands on the back of her hips, she looked to Ebon and bowed her head

"Isuelt..." Ebon gave her a smile that was touched with concern. "Are you all right? With Katt at Ed's place, where will you go tonight?"

"Is it too much to ask that we all get together for a impromptu gathering...and there not be some form of emotional shenanigans?" Race asks no one in particular. "Just go to the coast, have a few laughs..."

There was a nod to Issy from Naveen. "Mmm, drink a lot... Swim... Dance."

Issy made a face of minute panic. "Oh sh*t... Katt's going to..." Well, if Katt didn't want to kill her before, she might very well now.

Ed nodded as he guided Katt towards the Haven, and once they reached it, he guided her in. "Find yerself a bed, sis. Ah'll let ya know when de scan's done...gonna step out fer a minute." He fixed her with a look. "An' if ya leave b'fore it's done, Ah'll drag yer arse back by force."

Ebon gaze went to the Mogul. "I've got a yacht, docked on the river. We can all get together there, take her out..."

Race looks to Ebon then. "Not until Katt comes back. Can't have fun without the full crew present." He looks serious about that.

There was the Race Naveen knew so well.

"Where is the one nearest the water?" Ed's threat was given a sigh. Katt had a pretty good idea where he was heading off to. She flicked a hand in his direction like she was dismissing his threat or possibly the answer to her question. She headed off to find a room as told. Or rather a bed. Maybe a chair. Whichever..

"Issy, you can stay at my place tonight if you want. " Race offers without looking, still watching the place where Katt vanished out of sight.

"Of course! It's not a party without her!" Ebon grinned, then nodded to Race and Naveen. "Good night!" Turning to Isuelt, Ebon gave her a bow. "Take care, Isuelt. Remember, we still have to go out on our date!"

Issy hand was on the back of her neck as she looked to Ebon to say goodbye, she chuckled and bowed. "Yes, of course."

With that, Ebon rose into the air and headed towards Dragon's Gate.

Ed sighed, rolling his eyes as he gestured towards one near the southern side of the house. "Take de master suite...ain't been used by anyone but m'self, an' dat not fer a few days." Shutting the door behind him, he turned and headed back towards the Marketplace, lighting off the thrusters to send him into flight.

Issy's dark eyes then ticked back and forth between Race and Naveen.

Naveen leaned towards Race. (s) "Why does she keep looking at me like that?" This refering to Issy who was looking between them.

"Sorry, it's just...it's been a very long, interesting night." Issy rubbed at the back of her neck once more. "It really is a pleasure to meet you, Naveen. Any friend of Race's is a friend of mine." She smiled softly. Seems she'd forgotten the pace of chaos circling outside the walls of a Batten domicile. Hey, any vacation was a vacation, right?

A green Pontiac GT rolls up about then, its engine idling before a light bar flashes below the grill. "I miss something, came fast as I could." a cultured voice says from within the vehicle. Race doesn't look happy as he addresses GEIST. "You stopped for Diesel again, didn't you?" He Huffs then looks to Naveen. "It's the suit, she wants one." He's teasing of course.

Yeah going into Ed's room was something Katt was a little cautious about. Can you blame her? But his room she did claim. The messenger bag that had nearly all her things was tucked in a corner followed by her hoodie and shoes, all in a neat little pile before she crawled into bed. Until she fell asleep she just stared up. Clayton came to mind and a ping of regret and a sensation she shouldn't be feeling intermingled.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

: Chapter Fourteen: Graviora Manent - Part Two :.
Nov 19th - Early Morning

Mid morning she woke with a stabbing ache in her chest that nearly doubled her over on her side. Reaching out she swept her hand across the bed in attempt to find comfort in Clayton but he was not there. In fact..this was not her bed.

It all came back to her in a flash. As if she was being made to remember every little detail.

Her ..darkness...it was getting out of hand. She couldn't even control it any longer.

Brian...Clayton...everyone was right. She needed to go ..She needed to let this thing free and out so it will behave. So she didn't turn into some sane thing that drove everyone away.

Slowly her eyes opened and she looked at the empty space next to her. Her heart ached. Clayton must of hated her for what she did...

He left...

The thought caused a lump in her throat that she couldn't swallow down.

He left...

...And it was her fault...

Turning her head she buried her face into the pillow and gave herself a moment to collect. After a few shaken breath she struggled to sit up.

"D-Diana..Is..Is Edward done with his scans?"

"Yes, Miss Batten," the cool voice echoed back from no particular source, "He is currently in his lab."

Diana answered her next question without it being asked. She crawled out of bed and reached for her bag with shaken hands. A note was scribbled out though her normally elegant handwriting wasn't looking quite so lovely right now.

Ed,

I'm sorry for last night.
I'm sorry for being a burden but I need to do this. I need to get whatever is in me squared with this..this darkness before I explode.

Thank you for everything.

Love you lots ♥

-Katt

P.S. If you could please check on Clayton and tell him how sorry I am. I know he probably doesn't want to hear it.

The note was folded and after making the bed she left it on the pillow. Rubbing her eyes she stuffed her things back into the bag and after some thinking she left the bag on the bed. After all there were things in there that Ed could use to track her. She refused to place him...and everyone else in danger.

"Thank you Diana.."

"Of course Miss Batten."

After a quick ransack of the kitchen for a bottle of water and a quick sandwich she headed out.

She had marked out a place some weeks ago. Far to the north and away from everyone..everything. Only the wilds to keep her company.

It would do....
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Later that day... :.

Ed 'd been in the lab since the scan had finished and he'd let Katt go, poring over the data in detail, reviewing every last iota of the information. In particular, he was interested in one single thing - the bio electric field data he'd been picking up from Katt's body. Hers was there, surely enough, but it was overlaid and intermingled with something else...something he couldn't quite identify, outside of the analysis of its type, frequency, and other scientific parameters.

Whatever it was, though, it was causing Katt some serious issues, that much he could tell for certain - he had also picked up on other things going on in her brain's electrical activity that appeared to be influenced by the field. Whatever it was, he knew at the very least it wasn't anything of Renna's or anything else he had encountered before. He just knew he had to get it out of her. It was just about now that he was heading for the front door, grabbing his coat as he stepped out. "Di, Ah need de Tower vault level unlocked, please. Vault eighteen, specif'cally. Ah'll be dere in 'bout five minutes."

Such mundane things was walking and Chaos was not for it which is why he likely didn't find his way to the front door of the rather luxurious estate. Instead the 7'5" male stood outside under the shade of a tree in patient wait even if time was sort of an issue here. This was a person who was at home in the shadows and they clung to him like children to a mother. Stark white hair spilled long down his bare back, the only thing he seemed to be wearing was gold and crimson silks that clung to the waist on down. Even as the door opened he waited, intense blue eyes staring just to make sure that the one coming out was the one he was seeking. Chaos. Seeking someone out? Surely the Nines were freezing over.

The cool female voice came back to him as he stepped through the door. "Yes, sir. The level and the requested vault will be unlocked as soon as you arrive at the Tower."

Ed nodded to the voice and pulled the door shut behind him, starting down the walk tot he street...and coming to a halt as he saw the man standing under his tree. He finished pulling his coat on as he looked the fellow over before he spoke. "If yer lookin' fer help o'some kind, get in line. Kinda busy at de moment."

Chaos was amused with this man already. "There is little you could do for me, T'rvesh, but much I could do for you. I take the Dark Lily has left?" He looked past Edward and to the closed door. "That is unfortunate." Stepping free of the shadows the man seemed to glide rather than walk. It seemed Ed would be having company on his walk. "You are the one that she calls Brother now, are you not? I believe it was Edward Batten?"

It was a good thing Ed put things together quickly. Whoever this man was, he knew Katt, though he didn't refer to her by that name. He continued walking, turning to head for the Tower, still under construction, but its distinctive twisting silhouette already visible rising up into the sky. "Yeah, dat's right, but Ah t'ink ya have me at a disadvantage. Who're you, an' how d'ya know my li'l sister?" Straight to the point, though he turned his attention to the walk ahead of him.

"I am Chaos. You may consider me a sort of Overseer." Because as far as Chaos was concerned what he was and who was no business of Edwards. "I've known her since she was born and know that it seems her struggle has finally peaked. I am disappointed she is no longer here. If what I hear about her plans is true I fear you may very well lose the one you call sister." Did he need to say it? No, but he would just to make the point known, "Forever."

Most times, being pressed for time as he was, Ed wouldn't have bothered with this sort of thing. But this was his sister, and he was done with people playing around with the people he cared about. He came to a dead stop, turning to face Chaos, his features stony. "Ya got 'bout t'ree seconds, bud, t'tell me what ya know 'bout dis, 'fore Ah drag yer arse down de street fast 'nuff t'turn ya inta ground chuck. An' b'fore ya go inta da whole 'Ah'm all powerful, you couldn't possibly comprehend what yer lookin' at' speech, spare me. Ah heard it already."

Highly amused and Chaos wore the smile to prove it. "I do believe I said I had much I could do for you, Mr. Batten. There is no need to threaten me." He gestured for Ed to continue walking. "Some years ago your sister was, in a sense, possessed. A god took over her body and nearly forced her soul into oblivion. Those who dealt with the issue sealed away the god because removing the second soul would of killed the girl. This entity, Silma, has been trying to claw her way out sense. While I knew of this I really could not do anything about it and from what the Dark Lily has told me she has been blacking out more and more as the months have passed. Silma is ready to break the seal fully and at the same time your sister is unwittingly going to give herself over to her."

Ed listened as the other man spoke, taking up his pace again. Patience was normally his long suit, but the events of the past few weeks had been trying it, what with Renna, Issy, and now Katt. He shook his head as Chaos reached his conclusion. "Not if Ah can help it. Ah been trackin' 'er movements, an' even if Ah lose 'er, Ah know someone dat can find 'er fer me, if it comes t'dat." He frowned slightly as they approached the Tower. "So, dat second bio'lectric field my scans picked up...dat's dis Silma person?"

"This has been a long time coming. I just hoped we had more time. Some pretty upsetting things must of happened if it was sped up this fast." Chaos' brilliant eyes turned up to the vast building before them. "That is likely correct and I am sorry to say this but if the girl does unleash Silma there is a slim to no chance that she can be retrieved. I am sure Silma will not hesitate to snuff out the Dark Lily's soul the moment she has absolute control over the vessel."

"Den we ain't got any time t'lose." Ed turned just before reaching the Tower, heading towards what looked like a sentry station, a simple booth large enough to hold a few people if necessary. "What if Ah told ya Ah got a way o'sep'ratin' dat Silma's energy from Katt - de Dark Lily, ya call 'er - an' trappin' it in somet'in' dat it'd ne'er be able t'escape from?"

"I would say you would likely be murdering your own kin. The chances of that being successful without Silma trying to break the spirital lifeline she is clinging to is very low. It had been tried once before by the very man who sealed Silma away. She nearly killed that boy she was with at the time in the process." Chaos' attention returned to Ed. "Do you have a room here, or elsewhere, that you feel will substain enough damage to keep her in and at the same time is in darkness. No light, no shadows?"

Ed stepped into the sentry station, motioned for Chaos to follow. "Ah got jus' de t'ing." Once both were in the booth, he tapped a section of the wall in the booth that looked little different from the rest of it. There was a clicking sound, and suddenly the booth floor began descending down a narrow shaft. "Ah can sep'rate de energy from Katt's...dat's simple 'nuff, an Ah c'n trap it, too. Severin' de connection wit'out killin' 'er, t'ough, dat's de tricky part. Ah hope ya got an idea 'bout how dat could be done."

Chaos did follow but odd little things like his body not adjusting as the floor started to move may of given a person wonder if his feet were even touching the ground. Folding his arms he listened and shook his head when the statement was made. "If I did do you not think it would of been tried already? Sealing away Silma is enough to nearly cripple her if it gives you any idea of what severing the link does. The sealing is about all I can do and that process alone I will need your help. She will need your help."

Ed frowned at that as the floor descended further into the darkness below. "So, in ot'er words, yer jus' gonna lock 'er away back inside o'Katt again." He was silent until they reached the lowest sub-level of the Tower, the vault level, a door sliding silently open to admit them to a metal-lined corridor with large, heavy-looking doors on either side of it. "An' what happens when dat seal disintegrates again? Ah'm sure Katt don' wanna hafta be patched o'er an' o'er again fer de rest o'her life."

"She is actually unaware of the God and the seal. She thinks it is her own doing. Her inner darkness or something to that. In truth the seal shouldn't of broken or at least not in such a short period. I believe her death at the hands of the one called Raven aided to that. For now we can seal her and then look into possibilities of extraction but I must warn you the sealing is not pleasant. If you wish no part in hearing your sister's pleads then you may back out but I do require a few things from you regardless."

Ed started down the hallway, nodding. "Ah can t'ink o'some'ne dat might be better suited t'helpin' ya fer...dat part o't'ings. But yer gonna hafta tell him what's goin' on...yer liable t'get hurt if'n ya don't, an' dat aside, ya got him ta t'ank fer dis seal not breakin' sooner'n it has." He stopped at a large, heavy-looking door with the number 18 engraved on the front of it. "What're ya gonna need from me?"

Chaos' raised a brow and looked over to Ed. "So you would thrust this upon another and leave the fate of your kin in the hands of someone else?" Pausing he looked up to the door. "Interesting. I think you do not realize how big of a role you play in her life. How much of a foundation you are for that girl." He shook his head. "I came to you for a reason but if that is your wish I will tend to it alone. A suitable place to confide her for at least ten days. Fourteen at most. There is to be absolutely no light or anyone coming to or fro this place. I also require the item she gave you some time ago for the time of Yule. The crested talon."

Ed sighed as he tapped in a coded sequence on the touchpad panel at the front of the door. "Ah ne'er said Ah was leavin' anyt'in' t'anyone. But Ah can t'ink o' someone dat's been more a part o'her life dan Ah have been fer de las' year, dat at de ver' least yer gonna want de help of...de only person Ah trus' when it comes t'my sister." The sequence was keyed in, and there was a sudden, sharp sound of metal locking bolts snapping back before the door started swinging open.

Within the vault were a series of clear box-like cells, each easily large enough to hold a person. "De vault here is hermetically sealed, and can be completely cut off from any light. Dem cells're pretty damn near indestructible...de more force ya exert on 'em, de stronger dey get. Ah made 'em fer some'ne a lot stronger'n Katt."

"I am well aware of the man called Clayton but there are reasons I did not go to him with this and many more why I came to you." His eyes rose up to take in the cells. As claustrophobic as Katt was this should prove to be well beyond measures of interesting. "Once upon a time she use to be much stronger." It was a memory spoken with nostalgia. "I should warn you. In this process I have decided that there will be a series of have to do with you or those in her present life but I fear her memories of that boy and what transpired also give aid to Silma. A source of guilt for what she did to him while Silma was in control." A feeding line no less.

Ed smirked. "Don' worry 'bout dat. One o'dem cells was used t'lock away a goddess once fer a whole mont'." He looked to Chaos for a moment, then sighed, shaking his head. "Ah'm guessin' yer not gonna tell me what dem reasons are, are ya?"

"If you think about it long enough I am sure you will come to some of them yourself. Trust is one of them. As I said before you are her foundation. A part of her strength and will. She trusts you above all else." An idea crossed his mind and he regarded Edward thoughtfully. That may be an idea to bring up at a later date. "Do not get me wrong. She does trust the one called Clayton but between the two of you, her trust in you is far superior. Since it seems to bother you so much, however, I will just require this cell and the talon from you. You do not have to get your hands in it any deeper and have business elsewhere to deal with."

Ed shook his head at that. "Ain't got not'in' goin' on dat's more important dan dis." Reaching up to his neck, he slipped his hands up under his shirt and pulled out the chain he wore with the talon on it. Katt would be surprised to learn that, yes, he did indeed wear it, probably more often than she thought. "Ah am gonna let him know what's goin' on, t'ough...he d'serves to know." He held the talon up to his eye level, looking at it for a moment, then held it out. "Am Ah gonna get dis back?"

Reaching out with elongated fingers that were so greedy to claim up the prize Chaos shook his head. "I cannot deny that I would keep it but if you desire it back it will be returned minus the soulstones." He pointed a finger to the small gems that barely glowed with any life. He didn't wait for any sort of respond before taking the talon free of Edward's grasp. "I would adivse telling him afterward or to where he cannot approach." The crest on the talon was thumbed over. "Tell me something. How long would it take you to seperate the two if the link was severed? A rough estimate will do."

Ed shrugged at that as he let the talon get taken from his grasp. "If de proper prep'rations were made 'forehand. it'd take a matter o'seconds, longest. Ah've already got de mat' done, de right frequencies, an' de equipment...jus' gotta get it configured an' set up t'go." He arched an eyebrow. "Why? Ah t'ought ya said it was a pointless exercise."

"I still believe it may be. I was just entertaining the idea of a soul convergence." The chain of the talon was wrapped around his hand and he looked to the cells. "I fear I may need to call on you for one last thing. She will not come if I call her. Do you think it possible for you to find and get her here? If she has not already hidden herself away that is."

Ed nodded to that. "Even if she has hidden 'erself away, Ah still know o'one man dat c'n find 'er. Hell, Ah may send him instead...he could bring 'er back no matter where she's gone an' if she wants t'come back or not." He chuckled. "An' b'fore ya ask, no, it ain't Clayton. Dis guy's...altoget'er diff'rent."

"I'm more worried about you sending him and her regressing or it causing further problems. Plus he.." Chaos frowned and shook his head. "If you have him do that tell him to leave the soulstone elsewhere otherwise he will be bringing the only thing that can possibly save her along for Silma to destroy." It didn't take much to see that Ed wanted Clayton involved and likely wanted nothing to do with this situation. At least that is how it seemed to the God. "Do what you will. Just make sure she is here soon. I will prepare things."

Ed shook his head. He knew about the soulstone, of course. "Ah ain't gonna send Clayton...de man Ah'm talkin' bout...well, he ain't 'xactly a man. Mos' 'round here know 'im as Finn...if ya are...what Ah t'ink ya are, ya might know him better by de name Promet'eus." He looked up tot he ceiling, speaking again. "Di, make sure Chaos here has everyt'in' he needs. Do ya still have Katt on de monitorin' network?"

There was a pause before the cool, disembodied female voice came back. "I am sorry, sir, but she appears to have somehow evaded the network."

Ed frowned slightly at that, but nodded. "All right. Send a call t'Finn, have 'im track 'er down...needs t'be as fast as he can poss'bly manage it."

Chaos' brows arched high as the name was quite familiar or maybe he was impressed by the voice. "I wouldn't mind meeting the lass to whom that voice belongs." Ah wait he was here on business not pleasure. "It does not surprise me that she cannot be found. After all she is trained to disappear. However it could also mean we are too late. Please make sure that 'Finn' understands this." Looking down at the talon he started to gently pry out the soulstones that decorated the piece. It was time to get to work. "You have my thanks for aiding me thus far."

Ed actually had to laugh at that, shaking his head. "Ya'd be dis'pointed, hoss. De voice b'longs to a sentient program dat runs my network." He frowned, but shook his head. "Ain't no such t'ing as 'too late' in my vocab'lary. B'sides, Finn don' need t'be warned. He's...well, ya'd hafta meet 'im t'understand." The thanks was waved off. "She's m'sister...Ah'd do anyt'in' for her, even if she don' always realize it." He watched for a moment. "How long do ya need? Finn is...well...ya might be s'prised by how fast he gets here wit' Katt."

"How disappointing and when I was referring to it being too late I meant Silma already having control and the Dark Lily's soul.." The dimmed light of the soulstones did have Chaos in some concern and it was rare that he ever looked so. "Not long to prepare but I do need the vessel here if I am to do anything." He moved passed and picked out one of the cells that Ed had introduced him to.

Ed was about to say something when the AI's cool voice interrupted him. "Sir, Finn has arrived with Miss Batten, and is awaiting permission to enter."

He nodded with a faint grin as he replied to the voice. "T'anks, Di. Direct 'im to de direct route down 'ere, please." He looked at Chaos with a grin. "Toldja...he's quick."

Chaos looked over shoulder and raised a brow. "That was quick! Wonder if she is unconscious or kicking and screaming the entire way down."

Ed arched an eyebrow. "Guess we'll find out here in a moment." He stepped out of the vault and into the hallway, turning towards the way they had entered from to see what came down the lift.

Chao kept his ears open but didn't step out of the cell and for good reason. If she was awake and happened to see him the greeting would be loud and unfriendly. "Tell me Mr. Batten. Is there anything you would like me to add while I am sealing her? Maybe something you did that you would like her to forget?" His voice was lowered like that little imp that licked at the back of your ear.

Ed looked back at Chaos, frowning for an instant...but then he shook his head. "No...Ah...Ah promised her Ah wouldn' hide anyt'in' from 'er anymore, an' Ah ain't gonna break dat promise."
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

Finn hadn't knocked Katt out. Given the swift briefing that DIANA had given him, he wasn't sure that was a good idea. So once the elevator bringing him down from the surface level opened, the commotion she was making could he heard loud and clear. He carried her down towards Ed like a sack of potatos, over his shoulder, ignoring any assaults, physical or otherwise, she made upon him. She might've been pummeling a marble statue, for all the good it did her.

Oh the cursing and it was in several languages. When did Katt learn them in french too? She was a kicking a screaming the entire way and..wait did she try to bite Finn? She sure the hell did! Once she was placed on her feet she whipped around and glared at Ed. "What the hell Edward?! You said I was free to go!" A hand shot up and she pointed dead center of Finn's face. "Why did you send him to find me and drag me back here?!" Finger still in his face she addressed Finn. "How the f*ck did you find me!" In the middle of nowhere no less! She had shadow jumped the entire way just so Clayton or anyone could find traces. How!? She wanted to know!

She probably just about broke her teeth when she tried biting him. Finn spoke in his deep, soothing tones as he carried Katt towards Ed, a faint smirk on his features. "If I tried to explain to you how I found you, Miss Batten, I'm afraid it would only confuse you. The process is rather...complex, and involves a lot of very esoteric mathematics that even your brother would not understand fully. You should stop struggling...you will only hurt yourself."

She was awake and lively as ever it seemed. Thing surely will be interesting that much was for sure. Stepping out of the cell he made himself known and made no efforts to hide himself among the people standing in the area. In fact after a nod to Finn he gestured to the cell without a word to the very pissed off woman.

Ed eyed Katt as she cursed in a variety of different languages, a couple of which even he didn't recognize. He had to admit, it was pretty impressive. "Yeah, Ah did say ya were free t'go. Ah also toldja if Ah found somet'in' Ah didn' like dat was a danger to ya, Ah was gonna come an' fetch ya back." He gestured to the vault, and the open cell within it. "Put 'er in dere for me, Finn, please." Oh, she was NOT going to take this well, not at all.

Naw she wouldn't break a tooth but Katt sure did find him tasting icky. "Then let me go damn it! Seriously Finn put me down! P-" The moment she saw Chaos she started thrashing against Finn even harder. "The hell is going on?!" Then hearing Ed and seeing that cell open? She shrieked out right in Finn's ear. "F*CK NO YOU AIN'T! LET ME GO! LET ME GO!"

Finn didn't seem to notice, didn't even wince, though his eyes went to Ed a moment after looking at Chaos, an eyebrow arching upwards. "You are sure about this, Edward?"

Ed nodded, frowning slightly at Katt's reaction. He knew how she hated confined spaces. Mustering up his resolve, he nodded a single time.

That single nod was good enough for him, it seemed, though Finn did turn his head in Katt's direction. "I am sorry for this, Miss Batten, but this will help you, I am certain, or I wouldn't do it." And with that, he walked right over to the cell and pretty much threw her inside of it, stepping back swiftly to seal it before she could try to get out of it again.

"It is for her own good." Was his piece offered to Finn as he stepped to the side. Seeing Edward's reaction he knew he had made the right choice. It would of been even harder if he had gone to Clayton. The talon was offered back to Edward, three of the five stones had been removed. After all it did seem to have somewhat of a sentimental value. "As soon as he places her down I will begin. Make sure the door closes behind me. I will let you know when I am ready to exit." That works too but he needed to get inside with that howling beast.

"Finn! FINN Don't you d-!" She wenta flying and landed with a thud. Rolling up to her feet she lunged for the door and met it full force. Growling she slapped her palms against the surface. "Let me out you bastards!"

Finn'd let Chaos in, as well, but he didn't want Katt making a run for it. Looking to Chaos, he nodded a single time. "You will have to be very fast."

"Whoo boy last time I saw her like this was when Xavier walked in on her changing." Of all the times for him to be amused right now was likely not suppose to be one of them. He nodded to Finn. "Worry not. When you are ready then." He looked over to Ed. "Make sure there is no light after I enter. This is important because she will use any shadow she gets the chance to."

Finn nodded a single time, once more, and opened the door just enough to let Chaos in, at the same time making sure Katt didn't get out. As soon as the other God was in, he closed the door and sealed it.

Ed gave Chaos a single nod. "Got it." He gave Katt a final look, frowning, anxiety and pain in his features - a rare thing for the Playboy, indeed. He hated the necessity of all this. As soon as Chaos was in the cell and it was sealed, he spoke to the AI. "Di, polarize de cell." There was no response, save for the cell turning completely black, so dark that it seemed almost to suck in all the light that touched it, and those inside were no longer visible. No light would get in there now.

This truly was about to get interesting. With the last of the instructions given he entered the cell and once the door was closed he turned to Katt with a chuckle. "It has been a while since we've been in this situation hasn't it my little Dark Lily." The words were spoken as he advanced the woman with absolutely no fear.

Ohhh ffffhhhhh! "The hell!" The lights went out. "F*ck off Chaos!" Katt knew exactly why he was so calm. She couldn't raise a hand to him. Not even to swing. Grrrr!

Briefly there was a flash of crimson followed by a very ungodly scream. The kind that found your dreams and resided there. "Stop it! STOP IT!" Two more screams. Silence followed. Absolute silence.

Finn frowned slightly, eyeing the cell. Even his eyes couldn't penetrate that darkness - otherwise he would have been content to just make her appear in the cell, rather than carrying her down here. "Forgive me, Edward, but are you certain this is going to help her?"

Ed winced at that scream, hoping he was, indeed, doing the right thing...but there seemed to be little choice, really. He wasn't going to lose his sister. "Ah truly hope so, Finn...she's...whate'er is inside o'her, it's gonna consume 'er...an' dis was de only s'lution dat presented itself dat didn' seem mos' likely t'kill 'er." He looked from the cell to Finn. "T'anks, man...Ah 'ppreciate ya doin' dis fer me."

It was likely a sight that Finn would not enjoy seeing. Chaos' very fingers penetrating Katt's breastbone and sinking in to deep to be physically able without hurting some internal organs. The howling girl in his grasp was ignored as he went to work on the seal. Tedious task of setting the binding seal was not made easy by her thrashing around and only when he was done did she seem to slack in his grasp. Her body spilled to the ground at his feet, likely unconscious from the pain. Shaking his hands free of the blood he reached out to knock at the door in three short taps.

Finn nodded back to Edward. "Of course. You have been of great help to me...I am simply returning the favor." He gave the cell a final look, then started for the elevator that had brought him down here. "Do keep me informed of her status." And within moments, he was gone again.

Ed nodded to Finn with a faint smile, though it seemed forced. "Will do." At the sound of the taps, he went to the cell door and unsealed, then opened it to let Chaos out, before swiftly sealing it again. "It's done?"

"She is unconscious but the next few days will be hard. That door should not open again." He stepped out without looking back. Instead he seemed to occupy himself with wiping his hands clean. "Silma is not happy to say the least and I am worried there may of been some damage already done." He frowned and looked to the cell. "I wish it were easier on her. I have yet to even block her memory. She blacked out before I could."

Ed nodded, his eyes turning towards the cell again as he sighed heavily. "Is dere anyt'in' Ah can do t'help her?"

"The only thing I can offer you is to be here for her. This is more of a critical stage. She will need the support. While she cannot see you she can hear you." He disliked that was all he could offer the man. "I will slip in on the fifth night and deal with the memory locks."

Ed nodded to that, his eyes still on the cell. He'd bring a chair down here. Probably a cot or something to sleep on, too. Dat, Ah can do. Can she know what's goin' on, or should Ah keep dat quiet fer now?"

"You mean about being sealed and Silma or where she is and whatnot? You do understand that she cannot leave that cell, correct? She will likely say some things in attempt to let you release her. You must resist all urges." There was blood under his nails and he was not too pleased about that.

Ed nodded to the warning, looking like he was fighting the urge to glare at Chaos for a moment. "Yeah, yeah, Ah get olla dat. Trus' me, Ah ain't lettin' her out 'till she's good'n'ready. Somnet'in' tells me Ah'll jus' be gettin' a lump o'coal fer Christmas dis year, t'ough."

"I am just making sure because you do not know what is coming while I do. It isn't going to be pretty or rather it won't sound pretty." At the comment of Christmas he chuckled low in his throat. "I don't know, Mr. Batten. Your sister loves you quiet a bit though I will admit her past Christmas haven't been as most would normally be. Some of her worse memories involve one particular Christmas. Ah but listen to me carrying on about her past. Forgive me." He turned to look at the cell. It was too quite for his liking. "Do you require me to let you know when I arrive for the next stage?"

Ed shook his head with a sigh. "No. Diana'll let me know when ya get here." His eyes remained on the cell for a long moment, and finally, he turned away, moving out of the vault. "I think I'm going to need a drink."

Chaos followed Edward out of the vault as his business was, for the moment, done. "You will be speaking to the man called Clayton about all of this?"

Ed nodded. "Yeah, but...not right now, Ah don' t'ink. Perty sure he'd try t'kill me if Ah did...ya were right not t'call him first, Ah don' t'ink he'd'a been able t'do...dis." He gestured at the cell. "Dat aside...ev'n if he could, Katt's been happy wit' him...makin' him do dis coulda, prob'ly woulda, destroyed dat." The vault door moved to close and seal itself as he turned towards the elevator that led out to the surface above.

"I must admit I have not seen her as happy as she has been these past two years. I was startint to wonder if she even knew what happiness looked like." Edward's frown recieved a frown. "Will you be okay?"

That got a simple shrug as Ed reached the lift was and it slid open for him to step inside. "Ah'm sure Ah will be, s'long as not'in' else happens t'add to dis whole clusterf*ck of a mont'. Be better once Ah get m'self a good strong drink. Or ten." He waited for Chaos to step in before he started it rising towards the world above.

"There is something I feel I should tell you." Stepping onto the lift Chaos turned to face Ed. "Not to fan your ego but you were the best thing to ever enter her life. After those what happened to her I thought she would give up on life and yet you have somehow breathed life into her. Then these people she calls friends and this man named Clayton. I must say I am amazed at the turn around you had started. She has always spoken to me very highly of you even if she always came to my table cranky."

Ed managed a smile for that. "Well...at least Ah managed t'do somet'in' right outta all dis. Betchanext time ya see 'er, she's gonna be even crankier." He stepped out as the lift got to the floor above, then turned to face Chaos. "Listen...t'anks, fer all yer doin' for 'er. She's...really only de fam'ly Ah got...Ah don' know what Ah'd do if Ah lost 'er." Turning, he reached into the coat to touch the trigger, and it wrapped around him to reform itself into the armor.

"She hasn't returned to the veil since..Oh well that doesn't matter but I fear you are right. If I let her remember any of it that is." He grinned at the idea. When the armor came into play he stepped back. "I will look into the soul convergence if you wish. Then when I return I can give you my findings." The night was young but still night and the shadows crawled to him to cling at his robes. In a shift it showed that this man had no legs and yes, had indeed been floating around this entire time. "You are her only family as well. Don't forget that. Enjoy your drinks, Lord Batten. I fear you will need them." He bowed his head just before the shadows took him.

Ed nodded to Chaos. "Please, if ya could. Ah'll get stuff set up just in case ya come back wit' good news." And with that, he turned, and with the howling roar of thrusters he shot up into the air, arcing in the direction of the Inn.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Fourteen: Graviora Manent - Part Three :.

She had left Ed's in a hurry with no thought of collecting supplies. The way things had panned out made it clear that she should of left long ago and done this. The night before left her feeling like she wasn't in full control of herself. It was different this time...There was no cold chill that started up her arms and consumed her. There was no blacking out. It was like It was struggling to consume her right in front of the people she knew.

They knew...to some degree...

It wasn't here...

Or so she hoped...

She hoped he at least knew...

He won't be there when you get back.

She shook her head as she looked over the area she had long since picked out. It was in the middle of nowhere, miles away from anything that could even be considered civilization. She chose this spot...so she wouldn't hurt anyone or anything...

She winced as a sharp pain shot across her chest like she had been stabbed with a shard of ice. Wheezing in pain she staggered.

What..was that?

"Sorry about this, Katt."

She blinked past the pain and turned but barely saw the man as he scooped her up. What...the hell?! She had never been so caught off guard as she had been at that moment.

Finn's appearance out of nowhere and what was more he had her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. She couldn't do much to resist. Between the lack of Reevi and the pain that was making her cringe at so much as being touched...she was helpless.

"The hell Finn?!"

Before she knew it they were at the new Batten Tower which was still in construction.

...There was Ed...

...And Chaos?

Why was Chaos there?!

She was thrown in some room void of light with no answers. The room that she was locked in..with Chaos.

What was going on? Why did she feel absolute rage and fear all at the same time. It positively filled her senses.

She felt Chaos' hands on her shoulders. "I am sorry but this must be done."

"Don't you touch me!"

Oh he touched her all right. She felt his hands glide down her arms and skipped to her sides before rising up just below her bust. The cold touch of his long fingers sent a chill down her spine that made her shudder to her toes. She hated his touch. Hated that he was there. But why was her brother helping him? Why was-

She didn't get questions out. Chaos didn't give her time. She felt him press against her flesh and past...She felt like he was toying with her insides as he mumbled in her ear. Whatever words he said she didn't understand. All she understood was the pain that ripped through her...

And she howled out in pain.

The pain was the last thing she remembered before passing out.

She woke up nearly twenty four hours later, meowling at the wall that she thought was the door. Weak little words as the thumped the wall, whimpering in pain, and begging to be let out.

As the days progressed the begging turned into curses and threats. From that calls of fear and more begging as if her very life depended on it. There was hatred in her voice, but above all else there was that fear. She didn't know if there was anyone on the other end to hear her cries. For all she knew the wall was the only one who heard them.

All that ceased come Friday afternoon and day went on with very little coming from the cell. Exhausted she laid in the darkness, in a half awake state that was more slumbering while aware of the world around her. There wasn't much to be aware of. Just the darkness and the growing pain that was making her want to claw at her own flesh.

Saturday, shortly past lunch time, screams started suddenly flood from the cell, no longer simple fear but an overwhelming amount of pain. As if there was something in the darkness that was ripping out from her very being. She thrashed against the floor, nails biting down so hard that she broke a few tips.

The screaming didn't cease...
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Fourteen: Graviora Manent - Part Four :.

Nov 26

The Playboy approached the Tower, carrying a cylindrical grey device under one arm, perhaps a foot in circumference and three feet in length, dressed as normal in the trenchcoat and casual clothes. He was not looking forward to this - every time he'd gone down to the vault to check on Katt, she'd been screaming bloody murder, and he'd had no choice but to pump a sedative gas into the cell that he'd created for those who would be occupying them. It hadn't knocked Katt completely unconscious, but it had at least managed to reduce her from sounding like she was being tortured to a whimpering, barely coherent state which was easier on the ears, but no less difficult to bear to hear. He'd talk to her in those moments, for a while, just to let her know he was there, about anything - news from around town, some project or another he was working on, progress on the Tower's construction. He didn't know if she understood or not, but he hoped at least it was enough to let her know she wasn't
all alone in there.

"What is that you have there, my friend?" Chaos' cool and collected voice was in Ed's ear even if the man himself wasn't anywhere near him. A few feet away and behind Ed the shadows shed from the lanky King of Shadows. This afternoon he wore a full robe in which his long hands were hidden among the fold of sleeves. There was no movement to follow as of yet, as if waiting acknowledgement before falling in pace. "And how is the Dark Lily fairing thus far?"

He had to fight the urge to glare at the...well...whatever he was, as Ed turned around to face him. What didn't show on his face, though, could probably be heard in his voice as he spoke. "Ah guess dat d'pends. Is she s'posed t'be screamin' like she's bein' tortured in de dept's of Hell all de time?" With a sigh he turned back for the entrance housed in the booth near the side of the Tower, gesturing for Chaos to follow if he wasnted. "Y'can see fer yerself...she ain't seemed well anytime Ah came down t'see 'er." The cylinder under his arm was hefted slightly in response to the question. "Dis is a harmonic energy pulse gen'rator, designed t'gen'rate a localized field dat can disrupt a bioelectric field by inducin' a temp'rary state o' resonance, forcin' it into a reset. Ah made it in case ya were able t'find a way t'sep'rate Katt from dat t'ing dat's inside o'her."

"I did warn you before hand, Lord Batten. The process is not pleasant so yes the screaming was to be expected." He followed after Edward much like Katt herself did. Like he was a living shadow of the man before him. "I have been looking into it and there is a chance that the soul convergence would work. However there are risks both to herself and whoever soul-joins with her. Such risks as losing their own soul for example." He knew that it could not of been easy for Ed to deal with things but when it did come down to it Chaos did feel it was best, if only to save the girl. "She is struggling for her very life, even before we brought her here. Those screams are of pain and her struggle. Her fight."

He sighed, nodding. Edward knew it was true, but he still didn't like it - forcing her into a situation she feared, then subjecting her to something that sounded like it was killing her, didn't sit well with him at all. If he'd known about this further in advance, he was convinced he could have found a way to do this in an easier and more humane way...but there hadn't been time. He started them down, turning to look at Chaos. "If it'll get whatever de hell is inside o'her dat sounds like it's tryin' to tear her t'pieces outta her, Ah'll take whate'er risks Ah gotta take." He fell silent, speaking again as the left came to a halt and the door slid open onto the passageway to the vault. "Ah ain't sure how much more o'dis Ah can take."

Edward started down the hall towards the vault, speaking over his shoulder. "An' Ah sure's hell wouldn' e'er want her t'have t'go t'rough dis again, even if Ah had t'sacrifice m'own soul t'make sure it don't happen."

"In a way you are very correct in that statement. Silma is trying to tear her from her own body. If Silma ends up taking full control, your sister is lost to you. There would be no getting her back because her soul would no longer be in the vessel." As he followed Chaos seemed to slow, frowning just a bit. The frown seemed to increase the closer they got to the vault. "Will you be able to access your device while unconscious? If not then we may need another party." And then Chaos stopped, his eye nearly burning holes in Ed. "I'm sorry for this. Putting you through it. I am sure she wouldn't want you in anyway involved. If you so desire I will take her to the Between and try to do for her what I can." There was bad news somewhere in his statement or maybe it was the way he looked past Ed and to the vault.

Edward shook his head, frowning. He had forgotten about that - he would need to be alert and aware, monitoring the process so he could make adjustments and be sure everything went off as smoothly as possible. "No. She stays here...Ah don' want her outta my sight if Ah can help it." Tapping in the lock code as they reached the vault, he turned to look at Chaos again. "But if not me, den who? Ah ain't gonna ask anyone t'volunteer fer somet'in' so risky. Ah can t'ink o'one person dat'd do it, an'
Edward Batten gladly, but las' time we discussed it ya didn' seem 'specially keen fer 'im t'get involved."

Even when the vault doors opened he seemed to stay rooted in place. The silence past the doors was unnerving at best. Bad news was coming Ed's way and he looked towards the man with what could be considered apologetic. He would get to the reason in a moment, however, "Her mate? While yes I do agree he shouldn't be involved we may have little choice in the matter now. And I am sure our dear one wouldn't appreciate me poking around her soul." He grinned most wickedly at the idea of poking around Katt's inner self. Such fun it would be but alas that wasn't meant for now.

He was bracing himself against the sound of screams, of blood-curdling, tortured shrieks that he was used to hearing every time the vault opened. When they didn't come, a frown pulled at his features, and he turned towards the black box that was Katt's cell. "Weird..." He knew she wasn't dead in there - DIANA was monitoring her vitals, and he would have been told if there were any problem in that area that he needed to know about.

"I fear we may of been too late with the seal, my friend. We may have no choice but the convergence in order to save her.." Chaos looked over to Ed to see if he understood that he wasn't referring to her being alive or dead but something all together. "I can barely sense her." It wasn't news he wanted to give and that is why he wore such a rare look. "I leave the choice up to you about if you want to bring her mate into this. Or we can venture in you showing me how to use that thing and we try our luck that way."

Edward froze, panic flashing through his mind for a split-second before he forced it back. Panic would screw everything up, and he couldn't afford it now. He looked back at Chaos. "How long d'we have, ya t'ink?"

"I don't know. I need to see her before I can make that guess but the problem is opening up the room. If Silma has taken over chances are she'd attack and kill. Well kill you that is. No offense, mind you, but you would be her first target out of the two of us." Chaos was on the move again, this time to brush past Ed and into the main vault room. The closer he got the more he felt aware that the girl's life was on a thread.

Edward set his device down next to the cell, then slid a hand inside the trenchcoat, which instantly wrapped itself around him and reformed into the silver and black Hammer CODE armor, the distinctive upcycling whine heard as it powered up, his voice taking on the computer-filtered tones of the Ranger as he spoke. "I'd like to see her try. I'm not easy to kill, not even for a goddess." He nodded to Chaos, turning towards the cell. "Tell me when you're ready."

Chaos raised a brow to the suiting up and was fascinated by the sight of the armor. "I see. Well then at your will let us begin." He had to admit he was curious at how this will play out. After all it had been a week or so in time since the body had any nourishment. Surely even if Silma was in control she couldn't be at full strength.

Edward nodded, bringing his hands up, palms out and directed at the door of the cell, glowing circles of light seen in them as the electronic whine increased in pitch. "Diana, unlock and open the cell." There was a loud, sharp *CLICK!*, followed by the hiss of the air within the cell escaping as it equalized in pressure to the outside, and the door popped open an inch or so.

The cell was quite and even as the door opened nothing seemed to happen. In the middle of the room Katt sat back on her heels, skin a marble hue of silver with strikes of white that nearly resembled stripes. Colorless eyes turned to the door and a smirk slowly pulled her lips. An inch was all that was needed and once the light pierced the darkness three spines shot out from that little space, like shadow created spikes to strike out at any who was within five feet of the door.

Well looks like Chaos was wrong in the strength department. She still had the strength to do something like that. Keeping his distance he'd let the brother take care of this particular problem.

It was like he was waiting for that to happen. There was a swift step to the side by the armored figure, just fast enough that the spine lashed out past his shoulder. The same motion saw Edward turning towards the spines, hands curling into fists and a pair of long, brilliantly glowing blades sliding out from the backs of both gauntlets. One of them was swiped out with to slice through the shadowy spines in a single smooth gesture without a word.

Another twist and Edward kicked out with his foot at the door to slam it shut again on the spines as hard as he could, looking at Chaos. "Does that answer your question, or would you like a closer look?"

She must of heard Ed say that because the laugh that left her was so amused and so ..cold. "Aww come on! Let me out! I just want to play! Besides isn't that what you have all been telling her? Let it out. Let me out." She was mocking and enjoying it.

Return to “The Phalanx”