Resigning from Duel of Magic

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Magic

Moderator: Staff

Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Resigning from Duel of Magic

Post by Royal »

I regret to inform the Duel of Magic community that I will be stepping down as Assistant Coordinator and Standings Keeper of the sport. I have been helping with staff activities on this site for over 8 years at this point, with my first foray into the world of Rings of Honor staff as just the Duel of Swords standings keeper; simply because I selfishly wanted the DoS standings to be posted up on time and not late so I could have rank benefits within a timely manner.

At the time, G had been running DoS for such a long - long time, so I could not fault him for being late on the standings as much as he had been, and I'm sure he was grateful to pass that tedious work onto me.. and boy, was it tedious. Having to do HTML code-work when I had no clue about it and just winging it was both terrifying but a fun experience.. and I'd like to say my time on staff has always been a fun experience, but it hasn't.

As time went on, my enthusiasm and joy for the duels and roleplaying has dwindled. I had faith that perhaps I can at least focus on bringing fun and enjoyment to others.. but, I don't think I can continue on anymore. For those of you who enjoyed all I've given to not only Duel of Magic, but Duel of Swords, Duel of Fists, and just normal non-dueling events like the Hunters Guild, thank you.. its the seeing all of you getting involved and having fun that has kept me around well past the point of my own burn out. I tried to hide much of it behind a smile, more events, and just attempting to bring more life into Duel of Magic (and by extension the Duel of Swords while I held the reins), but like I wrote above — I don't think I can go on.

In the end my goal was completed anyway. Many of you came kicking and screaming to discord and at the time I'm sure there were bad feelings due to it, but in the end, seeing this community continue to thrive made the debate and stress worth it. That's all I wanted in the end. For this community to live on after the break of flash chat and the separation caused by bad decisions by those who head the site. I can only hope that our Board heed these words: Take to heart how fragile this community can be, and a bad decision can easily lead to the loss of those who help make it thrive.

As for the Break the Ice event currently happening within DoM, I will still be handling and working with Max to see that prizes (including wins and forum currency) are transferred as they should be.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Re: Resigning from Duel of Magic

Post by Claire Gallows »

Saya,

It's going to take a lot for me to not write a novel here, but I didn't do it when you stepped down from DoS, so now I pretty much have to. You know how I am.

The community is poorer for this but I hope you will be better and happier for it. You have given so much time to this place and I have watched you grow immensely just in the 8 years that I've been here. Can you believe it's been that long? You were one of the first people to engage me within the dueling space, you offered me my first squireship, you interacted with me when I was still a shy and new player and that's a pattern I saw repeated over and over again over the better part of a decade. And that was just you as a player. That doesn't even begin to talk about your contributions as a staff member.

DoS multiple times. DoM. Standings Keeper, Assistant, Main Coord, Event Coord, I honestly can't think of anything you haven't done around here.

In that time, you've become a close friend and someone I trust to do the right thing. I knew you always had my back when I was Coord and you supported me through the last few years when I was so jaded that I nearly left numerous times. I can't say thank you enough for that.

Your contributions have revitalized and reshaped the Arena, the Annex, and Twilight Isle and that's not even talking about your RP events and the ideas you've brought to this place.

Like I said, I'm trying not to write a novel, so I'm trying really hard not to ramble for days. But as I mentioned, we are poorer for your departure and I'm sorry that it came to this. Because if even your endless creativity, inclusiveness, and spirit of helping has a limit, then the rest of us are fucked.

Tl;dr, thank you, Saya. Thank you for everything you've done and the mark you've made on this place. We wouldn't be where we are today without you.

-Claire
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Pretty much what Claire wrote. You and I have not always seen eye to eye, and that's ok. I don't think anyone can deny all the things you've done for the entire community over the years for all 3 sports, and the community beyond the dueling games. Thank you for all you've done as a staff member, as a player, and as one of the original Board members when we transitioned to this site over two years ago.

I hope that one day you can once again find the joy in this place that you've called home for so many years. We'll definitely be missing your contributions.

--Matt
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
Josette Wheeler
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Josette Wheeler »

Saya,

Thank you from the heart for all that you have done for this community. It is your beautiful and creative spirit that has kept more alive here than I can possibly convey in words. Your ideas opened so many wonderful windows and sparked so many ideas of how to become more involved in the duels to those that are new to the sport. This was all because of your inspiring contributions to this site that I know take a great deal of time and energy. I am in awe of everything that you have done and handled over the years with integrity and grace.

I feel this is a great loss to the community. I hope you can find the joy in this again and most importantly, take care of you in the meantime and continue to create and do things that inspire you. Your tireless work, energy, imagination, compassion, support and heart will always be treasured and valued by myself and many others. You are a cherished presence here that can never be replaced.
Last edited by Josette Wheeler on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amaris
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Amaris »

Everyones already stated what I would have said, but Thank you for all the work you did and do! I appreciate how hard it was to stick it out for you but you are truly creatively gifted :) I have always had fun in all the dueling. I will not lie I didn't always know who did what but when I find out I'm always amazed and you are awesome for what you do :).
I hope that all the heartfelt words and thanks give you a little smile and some reassurance that you are appreciated.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Saya/Royal,

As one of the people who did, in fact, follow the community to Discord "kicking and screaming," I want to thank you for everything. Your persistence and patience and all the hard work you have done over the years keeping the duels alive and well has not gone unnoticed. I appreciate you and all that you have done, even if we did not always see eye to eye.

Claire said it best: “The community is poorer for this but I hope you will be better and happier for it. ... Your contributions have revitalized and reshaped the Arena, the Annex, and Twilight Isle and that's not even talking about your RP events and the ideas you've brought to this place.”

I can sympathize with how tedious a job it is being a duel coordinator. My own brief stint did not last nearly as long as yours. I lacked your phenomenal stamina. For struggling through the burnout well past your breaking point, you deserve some kind of award. Your retirement is well deserved. Spoil yourself with something good. Whoever steps in to replace you has enormous shoes to fill, and I wish them only the best of luck. I do not doubt that in a community that has grown as large and warm-hearted as ours we will find someone equal to the task with your same level of love and devotion.

As Matt said, “I hope that one day you can once again find the joy in this place that you've called home for so many years.” But you’ve more than earned a rest, so I hope you enjoy that too. Thank you for everything.

- S
Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

Just want to chime in real quick and say thank you for all you’ve done for this community. It was partly because of your non-dueling Magic events that I finally began to engage with the Isle, so on a more personal note, I thank you for that. As others have said, I hope after some rest and time away you’ll be able to find joy in RP again. Until then, I wish you all the best.
XanthVanBokkelen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by XanthVanBokkelen »

Thank you for all your hard work over the years, and for your enthusiasm and contributions to the duels. I hope you regain your enthusiasm for this site and the duels in general some day.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Royal,

It saddens me that you are retiring from your places on staff. I've told you this before, but some things need to be said again. You've grown very much over the years as a person, roleplayer, and writer. Your contributions as a many hat wearing staff and community member are greatly appreciated.

You are not alone in that burned out feeling. Over the years I have seen many enthusiastic volunteers, often thankless positions, get bogged down in the work that goes along with keeping this place alive. I hope you can find the joy again that you once had. Give yourself time to rest and rediscover things that might have been put aside while you were helping to breathe more life into our shared community. Whatever waits ahead for you, I hope they are all good things.

C.
Bailey Raptis
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Stolen Child

Location: Can be found many places, but resides in Old Temple

Post by Bailey Raptis »

A lot of people have said a lot of the things I would've said/wanted to say, so at the risk of repeating what others have said, we'll miss having you around as a duelist, dueling coordinator, and event planner. Your creativity in setting up multiple events, adding flavor to the titles in the duels, and in the characters you brought into the duels and roleplaying over the years will be missed, and, yeah, nobody will be able to replace that. But we'll leave the light on for you if you ever decide you want to come back.

B.
Cajsa Storm
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Cajsa Storm »

I'm sorry to see you go. Your creativity and events you brought to the community will be sorely missed. I hope you are happier and continue to channel your creative talents in some way, here or somewhere else.

Thanks for all you've done for this place. I don't think it would still exist without what you've put into it.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Post by Michelle Montoya »

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Thank you for your work to move the duels to Discord. It was a big reason I came back. And thanks for the hours you've put into this community. I especially loved the Hunters Guild and will miss sending Runt on adventures.

- Aryana
Eden Parker
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Eden Parker »

Royal,

I know I've said this in private before but it's worth saying in public too. The duels and the site would not still be going without the incredible work you put into it, in particular over the last few years. You had the vision for what we needed to become and you helped us all get here. In those early days of Discord, you were our most patient ambassador. You took over DoS at a really tough time and built it back up with your creativity and hard work.

On a personal note, there is so much I have come to admire about you as a person -- your imagination, your patience, your care for this community, your ability to create endless new games and prizes with what always looked like ease, your world-building. You have been an invaluable part of this community.

You will be missed.

Eden
Ebon Ilnaren
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black Knight

Post by Ebon Ilnaren »

Royal,

Thank you so much for all that you have contributed in your years on RoH staff. You have done so much for this community, and you deserve the accolades and gratitude that has been shown here. Now go and do what's right for you. :)

Ebon
Max Lager
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Max Lager »

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”