Vinyl Collection

Tales of blood and bone from Matadero to the Grove, and all the places in Between.

Moderator: Delahada

BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Vinyl Collection

Post by BardGallant »

Inspired by a family friend who consistently posts nightly pictures of the album he's listening to out of his own immense collection, my own personal love for collecting vinyl records, and the established tendency for Dris and Rhys to unwind to a record while cuddling or dancing together in their living room.

Music is an integral part of Dris' life. Aside from playing a variety of instruments, especially the piano, and singing frequently, he also enjoys listening to just about any genre imaginable. Classical, swing and jazz may be his top favorites, but he is known to sing and dance along to pop hits as well. What music motivates you and your characters? Is there a particular album you haven't stopped listening to on repeat lately, or a single song? Did you hear something recently that made you think of a particular person, real or imaginary? Is your character a songwriter? Are you a songwriter? We'd love for you to share with us here!
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Re: Vinyl Collection

Post by BardGallant »

Artist: Harry Styles
Album: Fine Line

This one is unfortunately not something I own on vinyl, but instead on CD. Quite a few good songs on here that give me Dris and Rhys feels, and I'm certain that Dris has taken to singing them to Rhys on occasion. In particular...
As an added bonus, Dris has figured out how to play piano covers like the ones listed here.
Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

Artist: Miles Davis
Album: Kind of Blue

This is the first album from Rhys' collection that he shared with Dris. One rainy afternoon, they lay on the floor of his apartment above the garage, shared a joint, and listened to this on vinyl.

For your listening pleasure:
Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

Artist: Jeff Buckley
Album: Grace

This is another album Rhys has shared with Dris during their time together, sometimes in the background of voicemails and sometimes playing throughout the house on lazy (and probably rainy) afternoons.

This one is a personal favorite of mine, and though I don't have it on vinyl, I place it in my top 10 "desert island" list.

Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

Artist: The Sisters of Mercy
Album: Floodland

This album has a lot of meaning for Rhys, and it was one of the first he shared with Dris after they got together. He came of age during the height of the Sisters' popularity, and in addition to their music providing him an outlet for his darkness, Rhys considers frontman Andrew Eldritch instrumental in helping him figure out his sexuality.

BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Artist: Norah Jones
Album: Come Away With Me

Once upon a time in early March, only a couple weeks after they really started actually dating, Rhys and Dris had a romantic moment dancing in a cold and mostly empty warehouse that the bard was turning into a workshop for his trade. While they swayed together in the silence, attempting a lazy waltz, Dris quietly sang this one song to Rhys. Though this whole album is itself very good, this one song has become a staple as one of their songs that Dris plays and sings for Rhys often.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Artist: Ludwig Van Beethoven
Album: Time Life Great Men of Music

This one comes out of my own personal vinyl collection. A box set gifted to me among other albums by a family friend.

From his earliest conception as long as twenty years ago, two classical piano pieces have always resonated with me as being wholly Dris songs. These two pieces still to this day reach deep into my imagination and conjure up such extraordinarily vivid images. I haven't fully been able to ever put into words the visions I see, or the feelings I feel, but I can always feel my inner bard immersing himself fully to the emotional performance of them.
Though the second one is not on this particular album, it still resonates as the heart and soul of my Dris. So consider this one a bonus track not found on the original vinyl.
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Artist: Various
Album: forever is a lie

Several years back another role-player introduced me to making character playlists. I made this album for a polyvore contest some time later (RIP, Polyvore). Though the inspiration for it has long since passed, the feelings remain relevant, especially today.
  1. "Secret" by The Pierces
  2. "Sweet Dreams" by Marilyn Manson
  3. "Love The Way You Lie (Part II) by Rihanna & Eminem
  4. "My Immortal" by Evanescence
  5. "Darkness" by Disturbed
  6. "Love the Way You Lie" by Rihanna & Eminem
  7. "Lacrymosa" by Evanescence
  8. "Disassociative" by Marilyn Manson
  9. "I Am a Stone" by Demon Hunter
  10. "Say Something" by A Great Big World, ft.Christina Aguilera
  11. "Make Me Cry" by Noah Cyrus, ft. Labrinth
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Artist: Ludovico Einaudi
Album: una mattina

This is an artist whose songs Rhys requests Dris to play for him rather frequently, since the bard first played "Nuvole bianche" for him months ago, in the early stages of their relationship. The entire album is incredibly relaxing and can soothe even the most savage of beasts. When Rhys is having an especially rough day, Dris will sit down at the piano and play Einaudi for him until his fingers bleed, or Rhys asks him to stop, whichever comes first.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Artist: Frank Sinatra
Album: Ultimate Sinatra

Sinatra has been a big influence and part of Dris' character code since I first created him a couple decades ago. When I first started writing him singing, I always said he had a voice reminiscent of the Rat Pack members of old. When he sings, I imagine him having a crooner's voice just like good old Frank, or possibly even Dean. These are just a few of my top favorite songs that are quintessentially Dris, in my opinion. This is such a spectacular album, too. One I'm happy to have in my own personal collection.
Bonus: This cover absolutely blows my minds and gives me such exquisite chills.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Artist: The Weeknd
Album: After Hours

Finally got my hands on this album to add to my collection and could not be more pleased. Early on in Rhys and Dris' blossoming relationship, I heard one song from this album on the radio ("Blinding Lights") and it just resonated with me and their dynamic so completely. The rest of the album is pretty dark, and many more of these songs are best fitting another character of mine. Haha! However, a couple of them are very Drhys, and as a whole I like the album a lot. In honor of them being featured at tonight's halftime show, today felt like the right day to share. Looking forward to their performance!
Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

Artist: BT
Album: This Binary Universe

While this album has yet to come up in play, I’m including it here because it has inspired me for fifteen years. There are several pieces of music on it that helped inform Rhys’ creation in 2007. They’re all instrumental, but I could hear the character, his history, and his talents in the melodies and stutters.

For your listening pleasure: A final note: If you are sensitive to light flickers and other visual stimuli, please exercise caution when loading these videos.
Rhys Germain
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rhys Germain »

Artist: Darren Hayes
Album: This Delicate Thing We’ve Made

This is another album that hasn’t come up in play, but has been important and Rhys-relevant through the years. It came out the same year I created him, and there were nights when this is all I would listen to while writing. I can hear so much of his history in the music: his struggles with his sexuality, memories of his previous lifetimes bleeding through, his obsession with trying to figure out how to travel through time, and his learning to love. Amazingly, this album is still relevant after all these years. I can hear traces of his life with Dris and his hope for their future together, too.

Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Delahada »

Artist: Imagine Dragons
Album: Mercury – Act 1

Got this one in the mail today thanks to a pre-order! Knew it was on the way but still wound up being a happy surprise anniversary present to myself! Much of this album gives me a whole lot of Sal feels all around, especially #1. Much of it also personally resonates with me. It's all so very relatable both in and out of character. Every song is just so good! So I'm sharing them all.
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Delahada »

Artist: Various
Album: perspective 13

This is another "album" I put together back in the glory days of Polyvore for the very same contest. Not the original "cover art" that I had paired with it, but it'll do. Another name for this is the "delahada album," as it is a pretty good representation of Sal's personality entirely, especially his Autumn aspect as a darker breed of fae. In particular, he has been known to hum "Ode to Joy" when he's feeling especially fae-ish, monstrous, or crazy.
  1. Autumn Born by Daniel Tera
  2. Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling
  3. Shy Boy by District 78
  4. Moar Ghosts n Stuff by deadmau5
  5. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites by Skrillex
  6. Ode to Joy (Dubstep Remix) [Beethoven Drum Bass Garage] by Blue Claw Philharmonic
  7. Beyond the Veil by Lindsey Stirling
  8. On the Road by CAZZETTE
  9. See What I've Become by Zack Hemsey
  10. Long, Long Time Ago (from Pan's Labyrinth) by Javier Navarette, Danish National Symphony Orchestra, Christian Schumann
  11. Leo - Bonus Track by Max Richter
  12. Vladimir's Blues by Andrea Giordani
  13. Petrichor by Ludovico Einaudi, Daniel Hope

Return to “Casa de Sangre”