Bookstore and Other Settings

A place for the players and staff to communicate, share ideas, report bugs, make suggestions, and build our community.

Moderator: Staff

Alexia Longbow
Adventurer
Adventurer

Bookstore and Other Settings

Post by Alexia Longbow »

This server has five channels dedicated and/or directly related to dueling: The Outback, The Arena, The Arcade, Twilight Isle, and a channel for practice duels. And that is great. I’m glad so many people enjoy dueling whether participating, calling, or simply spectating. I do not. And while I would never dream of taking away from anyone’s dueling experience, I feel that non-dueling RP is left a bit lacking. We have two separate inn settings, yet when it comes to places like a dedicated Bookstore, Marketplace, Cemetery, etc., players are given the suggestion to simply make up their own in the Streets. I think the inclusion of one or more of these rooms would only enrich and round out the entire RP experience.

I’d like to put in a request for the addition of a Bookstore channel in our server. I brought it up briefly once and was told there are channels already in existence that have a tea room setting within them. While I greatly appreciated the suggestion and was moderately intrigued, I was also a bit confused. I understand we are unable to recreate the Teas ‘N Tomes of old, but we could make our own version of it. Large and numerous shelves, a little coffee and pastry area, perhaps even a sort of internet cafe for the more modern characters.

I am confident there are others who feel the same way and hold the same interest. I welcome and encourage anyone and everyone to show their support.
Regina Wellston
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Bookstore and Other Settings

Post by Regina Wellston »

I fully support this idea! Perhaps a magical bookstore where there can be ancient tomes to find. A place where the history of RhyDin could be read about or new authors could sell their books. I love this idea!!!
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Teas'n Tomes was one of my favorite alternative settings, once upon a time. While Sal isn't really big into reading, as a character he did enjoy hanging out in that setting rather frequently. Book store coffee shops are generally quieter, cozier settings. Before the TnT, back on AOL where I first started with Sal, I remember also having him hang out in the Keep above the RDI. I'd really love to see that setting come back, personally. The quiet library hang-out for book worms and characters otherwise looking for somewhere calm to relax. I like this proposal of Alexia's.
Pharlen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Pharlen »

Library! Can we open up the RhyDin Public Library?, and that would naturally have a nice little coffee shoppe or tea shoppe there. Or even just goodie carts.

I love this because though other settings do have their own little shops and such, you do end up having to repeat over and over "yo, they're in the head shop not just wandering" if the chars are in the head shop, for instance.
Fantastically Ordinary
Drop by for a cuppa odd.
Josette Wheeler
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Josette Wheeler »

This is a fantastic idea and I think it would make a great addition to the settings. A magical bookstore with not only ancient tomes, but new RhyDin authors to discover? Yes please!
Morgan LaLuna
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Captain

Post by Morgan LaLuna »

I also like the idea of a bookstore, or similar setting! Something for the quiet, booky types to really feel comfortable in! I don't see socializing being any issue, either... I like to think there could be lots of study/excited author talk between players that are usually reserved, especially in tavern/bar settings!
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

I whole heartedly support this idea. Two nearly identical inns are fine if you’re looking for that sort of atmosphere, but a place where people can just relax in a bookstore and mellow out with a cup of tea or Coffee would be awesome. The Teas and Tomes May be off limits, but our own version would be VERY welcome. Please consider this.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

I support more settings in general. The rotational setting is nice and encourages a sense of urgency in using it, but if a rotational setting really doesn't appeal, then you're stuck waiting months before a new one gets swapped in. I know the limited number of channels is intended to funnel people to common settings and encourage play, but I would really love to see more settings, including a quieter bookstore or library type setting.
Sylista Ravenwood
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Sylista Ravenwood »

I agree with the suggestion of a bookshop/library and the point Claire made about having more rooms in general. Having the Streets of Rhy'din as a catch all for any setting that doesn't fit the current rooms cool and I think it works for most things, but there have been plenty of cases where I've wished for something more specific.

I'm excited to see what wil come from this discussion.
Canaan
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Canaan »

Claire Gallows wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:37 am I support more settings in general. The rotational setting is nice and encourages a sense of urgency in using it, but if a rotational setting really doesn't appeal, then you're stuck waiting months before a new one gets swapped in. I know the limited number of channels is intended to funnel people to common settings and encourage play, but I would really love to see more settings, including a quieter bookstore or library type setting.
I know in the past the argument has been made that we didn't want our server to end up looking like other RP servers out there, with a million channels that we're forced to scroll through to find somewhere to play... but I'm definitely of the same mind as Claire on this one.

Having now spent the majority of my time on a private server that has around 15 writers and 40+ channels... I can honestly say that having more channels only promotes more writing. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say I see more writing there than I see on RoD with all its 600+ members. Now, I'm not saying RoD needs 40+ channels, but adding a handful of options to the small selection we already have won't do any harm. Trying to funnel us together in one place doesn't really work. Folks are going to play with who they want. Conversely, they're going to avoid the people they don't want to write with, too. Having more rooms suits both.

I'm 100% on board with a bookstore; I'd like to see that type of setting added to the room list, at the very least, pretty please! Let's start there.
Caleb Feren
Adventurer
Adventurer
Assassin For Hire

Post by Caleb Feren »

I'll throw it out there for someone to shoot down..

Tass has the Athenaeum.. has had it for years.
Basically.. a magical library that gathers knowledge to itself... through whatever means it wants.
The knowledge is from all over time/space, and even in time and space that never was.
The books look after themselves..
etc etc etc.

I know it started as my creation, but if a more private place is needed (I fully support the Public Library!), by all means, I gladly give the Athenaeum to the people.
Though you may run, you can never hide..
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I like the idea of a bookstore/library setting or a marketplace one that includes that and shops.

The Keep on an upper level of the RDI was always good place to settle in for a drink, snack, and conversation. I suggest not using the Teas and Tomes name if the choice is made to add a similar setting to the RoD Discord server. T and T was a Dragonsmark offering, but The Keep was part of the old AOL Rhydin settings that, as I understand it, are now in public domain.

The city has several libraries/bookstores that have had public access on some level. That includes the ROCBG which has a library/media center on the first floor. I offered it up as a channel setting before, I believe the solarium was the choice at the time. Just a thought here, but this is a part of the pinned description of the solarium: Whether you are here with a novel, a sketchbook, or a life-long friend you can find a place to sit and enjoy the company of both botany and people. Has anyone considered putting a sharing library in there?

Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

While we're on the subject, I'd *really* love to see more specific city sectors as options in lieu of the streets. Like Seaside and Dockside are both unique enough areas, they could warrant their own channels (would give the grit of Dockside and the beach of Seaside). A combined Old Market & Dragon's Gate or just a generalized Marketplace channel to encompass those. Old Temple or Southgate or something to catch the south side sans Dockside. Battlefield Park could either be combined with the Wilds or instead of it (I prefer combining since Battlefield Park doesn't seem to have a defined northern edge), and then a New Haven district for a posh vibe.

With that we cover a beach, a gritty docks area, a market, a foresty outdoor area, a posh fancypants space, and a more generalized city space. And all of them are able to be fleshed out enough to give people stuff to play off of while still providing flexibility of a general space.

Just my 2 bits
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

Claire Gallows wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 pm While we're on the subject, I'd *really* love to see more specific city sectors as options in lieu of the streets. Like Seaside and Dockside are both unique enough areas, they could warrant their own channels (would give the grit of Dockside and the beach of Seaside). A combined Old Market & Dragon's Gate or just a generalized Marketplace channel to encompass those. Old Temple or Southgate or something to catch the south side sans Dockside. Battlefield Park could either be combined with the Wilds or instead of it (I prefer combining since Battlefield Park doesn't seem to have a defined northern edge), and then a New Haven district for a posh vibe.

With that we cover a beach, a gritty docks area, a market, a foresty outdoor area, a posh fancypants space, and a more generalized city space. And all of them are able to be fleshed out enough to give people stuff to play off of while still providing flexibility of a general space.

Just my 2 bits
I like this. Anything to give me back Seaside beach. Plus Dockside would be cool, and shopping in New Haven.
Azriella
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Azriella »

I love the idea of a bookstore/magical library and believe it would make a great addition to the settings offered. I think Alexia's idea of a bookstore combined with Tass' Athenaeum would offer the opportunity to sit and chill with a good book and a drink, have a conversation with other characters or interact with the magic of the library. There could be several draws to the room, be they laid out in the description or alluded to, that would allow players to go in any number of directions should they so choose. Sounds like a great idea to me and I hope to see it become a reality soon!

Return to “Community Townhall”