Challenges and Countances

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Challenges and Countances

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

Following the Spring Cycle 2019 Warlord Tournament

Sunday night, Rhi got back to the tower and went straight to check on the children. She carefully rearranged the covers that been kicked about during sleep. She studied each of them in turn wondering what they had been dreaming about. While Rhi had the ability to take a peek and see for herself, she opted not to. Children needed their special place. Mother hen that she could be, she only stepped in when it was clear that a nightmare disturbed the normally peaceful visits in the arms of Morpheus. She stood in the doorway of Brian’s room for just a moment longer. A wistful smile touched her lips just before a familiar voice whispered, “Tea and pie in the kitchen.”

“Hello, a chroi,” Rhi whispered back as she closed the door. “I know you already tucked them in, but …”

Eregor smiled and wrapped her in a warm hug. “I’d be concerned if you didn’t look in on them.” They shared a few moments of silence. In a house with three growing children along with their nieces and nephews coming by, the quiet moments needed to be treasured when they came. The silence was broken by a question, “How’d the tournament go?”

As they settled at the breakfast counter in the kitchen, Rhi looked up at the ceiling for a moment. “Mmm… meh?”

“You asking me or telling me?” Eregor poured the freshly brewed tea.

“Both?” Rhi took her mug with a grateful smile. “Gloria Blaze won. I haven’t seen her since I was … six, I think? She still rocks the house like she did in the TDL days! ” Rhi grinned. “Rachael Blackthorne took second and the Overlord challenge right. It would be nice to see her win that.”

Slices of cherry pie were set out on stoneware plate as Eregor asked, “What’s next? We both know you were hoping for the test free baronial challenge.”

Rhi swallowed a bit of pie in her and washed it down with a mouthful of tea. “Challenge anyway. I got a regulation duel in the other night. So, I’m eligible. I just need to wait for the calendar to change and wait for a little bit.”

“Why wait?” He watched his wife with an interested expression.

“Something Uncle Idon said about releasing Krakens.” Rhi finished her tea. “I’ve been told that my Greek side shows more than my Irish one. Good thing, too, or I might be discussing forging techniques with Uncle Heph.”

“Cold ones?” It was a rhetorical question.
"The definition of hero never included anything about age." RDB

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”