2015 Rule Q&A

The Second Best Dueling Event of the Year!
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

2015 Rule Q&A

Post by Kalamere »

Just re-reading the rules today and picked up on something I had previously missed:
Hydra wrote:Duel Tie: 4pts to both. With exception to duels with points in excess of 5 or more to both duelists. i.e. 7-7, 6.5-6 and so on at the end of 15 rounds.
What's the "with exception" part there meant to indicate? Do the high scoring ties score differently in some way?
Hydra Corporation
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Hydra Corporation »

Kalamere wrote:Just re-reading the rules today and picked up on something I had previously missed:
Hydra wrote:Duel Tie: 4pts to both. With exception to duels with points in excess of 5 or more to both duelists. i.e. 7-7, 6.5-6 and so on at the end of 15 rounds.
What's the "with exception" part there meant to indicate? Do the high scoring ties score differently in some way?
The exception was initially because ties do not get the Wild Card (WC) modifier as a win does. This originally felt a fair allowance under the general idea. Overall though, it will be changed to strictly 4-4 in cases of a tie simply because a win is 5pts +WC mod, not Points Scored + WC Mod.
From the 2015 Rules wrote:Scoring
Duel Win: 5 points + Wild Card Bonus (when applicable)
Duel Loss: Total number of points scored in the duel, to a maximum of 4
Duel Tie: 4pts to both. With exception to duels with points in excess of 5 or more to both duelists. i.e. 7-7, 6.5-6 and so on at the end of 15 rounds.
+1pts available for a Shutout, with +2 for Shut-out in 5 rounds.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

General Reminder

Because matches fought for the Hydra season take place during regular dueling hours, and are treated as regulation duels for each of the individual sports, the "House Rules" for Duel of Swords, Duel of Fists, and Duel of Magic are in full effect for every Hydra Match. Ring of Klytus, Panther's Claw, Talon of Redwin, Squire weapons, Elemental Fury items, and so on still convey their full advantages per the rules of their sport.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

Each team may only make use of the Tag-Out strategy 5 times throughout the entire tournament. This is once for each member and includes reacting to the use by an opponent team. Make them count if a team goes this route.
Bolded part confuses me: Does this mean if I sub Rena in for April Brell this week, Rena can never sub in for someone again? Or April can never have someone sub in for her? Or does it have nothing to do with the person and I can only do it 5 times and Rena could do it each of those times?
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

JewellRavenlock wrote:
Each team may only make use of the Tag-Out strategy 5 times throughout the entire tournament. This is once for each member and includes reacting to the use by an opponent team. Make them count if a team goes this route.
Bolded part confuses me: Does this mean if I sub Rena in for April Brell this week, Rena can never sub in for someone again? Or April can never have someone sub in for her? Or does it have nothing to do with the person and I can only do it 5 times and Rena could do it each of those times?
I bolded your questions to better answer them.

Think of the Tag-In system like small scale intercessions. The Sub fighter can Intercede on behalf of their own team member. The night of the match, before the 1st round is posted to the room, the sub can "tag-in" and fight in place of their team mate. However they can't act again that week. Hence 5 members, 3 fighting, 1 sub, 1 off. The person who's off that week is back-up sub.

Each team can Tag-out 5 times during the season. The one for each player was to help make the concept easier to understand. I'm sorry if that caused additional confusion.

Making use of the Tag system would be considered "on the fly". If April Brell has a situation where she cannot complete her duel against Mason, Rena can sub in for her. IF she has not all ready fought in a scheduled duel for that week.

I hope this helps to answer your question.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

It does! Thank you :)
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."
George Orwell 1984
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

I have some follow up questions on this:

How does this apply to the playoffs? Will the option be available at all in the playoffs? If yes but my team used it 5 times during the season, are we out of tag options for the post season, whereas if we only used it 3 times we're still good? Or would there be additional uses added for tournament play?

Also, is there any allowed use of free-agents? If yes, do they count towards the tag allotment?

If Rena is tagged in for April on a Tuesday DoF fight and then something comes up for the weekend making it impossible for Jewell to fight her DoS match, will RPN have to suck up a forfeit even though they have 4 tag-ins left available to them?
Rachael Blackthorne
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
The Professor

Location: Current: Number 6 Willow Way, Canopy District, Gloaming. Former: a beach house in Arcadia.

Post by Rachael Blackthorne »

Kalamere wrote:If Rena is tagged in for April on a Tuesday DoF fight and then something comes up for the weekend making it impossible for Jewell to fight her DoS match, will RPN have to suck up a forfeit even though they have 4 tag-ins left available to them?
I have a suggestion to take care of this case. The tagged out person becomes the new substitute until the end of that match week.

Using the above example, April would be able to substitute for Jewell in DoS.

This would help eliminate those kind of forfeits.

As I understand the tag-in rules, they apply only to Wild Card matches, which are one per match week.
The hand is quicker than the eye.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Rachael Douglas wrote:As I understand the tag-in rules, they apply only to Wild Card matches, which are one per match week.
Actually, yeah, upon re-reading the rule I see that it does state the tag option is " to fight for a Wild Card match". Or to counter the other team using it. Which, of course, brings up more questions.

(a) Is it only my team's Wild Card, or for either team's Wild Card, since that could well be 2 different duels.

(b) A restatement of one of the first questions: What recourse do I have in using a sub on a non wild card fight? Same scenario where Jewell gets called away for the weekend and that DoS match is not a WC duel. Is RPN just screwed or can they sub in or use a free agent?
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

I think that some are making this strategy tool a little more complicated than it needs to be.
Sylus Kurgen wrote: The person who's off that week is back-up sub.
While one sub is officially listed, the 5th member is an auxiliary substitute.
Sylus Kurgen wrote:"Only the sub can Tag-In for another fighter."
In essence the "back up sub" also has the power to Tag-in and leave the listed Sub free to do what they're meant to do within the week.

I will go back and adjust it to SUBS, plural.

The 5th fighter being able to come flying out of left field and tag-in to do a match. Whole new level of strategy to consider.

WWE Monday Night Raw up in here. Guy just comes running down the ramp and leaps into the ring. WHAM with the steel chair

^ Is how I envision the Tag-in system.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

Kalamere wrote: How does this apply to the playoffs? Will the option be available at all in the playoffs? If yes but my team used it 5 times during the season, are we out of tag options for the post season, whereas if we only used it 3 times we're still good? Or would there be additional uses added for tournament play?

Also, is there any allowed use of free-agents? If yes, do they count towards the tag allotment?
Bumping Kalamere here because I think he raises some really good questions.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

How are Play Offs going to work? Top 4 teams out of the 6?
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Apple wrote:How are Play Offs going to work? Top 4 teams out of the 6?
Yes.
Kalamere wrote:How does this apply to the playoffs? Will the option be available at all in the playoffs? If yes but my team used it 5 times during the season, are we out of tag options for the post season, whereas if we only used it 3 times we're still good? Or would there be additional uses added for tournament play?
Each team will have 2 uses of the Tag-In option to use during the Playoffs. Using all 5 before then, or being judicial do not have effect on the post-season.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Sylus Kurgen wrote:
Apple wrote:How are Play Offs going to work? Top 4 teams out of the 6?
Yes.
aight thx fam
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Question about This thread.

Is it the obligation of the Home or Away team to post up the information for the week? Is the information needed to be posted, or at the least can captains E-Mail you with the lineup by 11:59 PM Wednesday so you're in the loop?

Return to “The Hydra's Den”