Hold My Hand

What do you get when you throw characters from different settings together?
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Hold My Hand

Post by King »

The clock read 8:24 when Terry awoke to the sound of the melody of `You know about me dogg. Don’t talk about me dogg. And if you doubt me dogg. You better out me dogg. I'm throwed off slightly bro. Don’t wanna fight me bro. I'm fast as lightning bro, ya better use ya Nike’s bro`. Yes, Terry had impeccable taste when it came to music. Don't let anyone else tell you different.

Her eyes looked to the screen. The text next to the ringing-phone icon said Overlord Manor. With a small groan from sleepiness, she'd swipe at the touch screen of her phone to answer, then brought it up to her ear.

"Huuuh?" So sophisticated. Her words were like poetry to the air itself. Never doubt that this is the Overlord of the Duel of Swords.

"I know with the recent happenings that you might not really want to be bothered.. But, there's - um - something you need to see." The voice on the other end. It had been Mary, the new hire of the Overlord Manor who knew a little more than she did when they first met.

Terry's hand covered her eyes and swept back to sweep back brown locks of hair. Of course the hair fell back into place only seconds later. "Are you goin' to tell me what this somethin' is?"

"I think it's best if you see for yourself." came in response.

Yeah. That's never a good start to your morning.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

"And.." Terry said. A little stunned.

Her trip to Overlord Isle had been a rather slow one, but once she got there and had been ushered inside, the sight she found had been a rather young looking girl peering up at her.

".. The note, it says she's your sister." said one of the older women who worked under the roof. Beatrice was her name. She helped in the kitchen. A little more rounded about the edges compared to most RhyDin women, she was still to be feared. Terry didn't enter the kitchen when she was working. The last time she did?T She had gotten smacked with a wooden spoon and told to sit down and wait. No wonder the girl held a half eaten cookie. By the smell of it -- it had been fresh too.

The girl said nothing. She just took another bite out of her cookie.

The smaller one seemed to be about the age of seven, or somewhere around it. Terry hadn't been given an age, so guessing was all she could do. She hadn't said one word since Terry entered the scene, and the way she looked away and appeared to be bored showed that she was a little too used to being pawned off. If anything, that only added to the case of her being apart of her family. It's the same thing Terry did when she was younger, or so she was told. Dark brown hair and a little lighter in the skin tone. Terry could see a bit of Asian in her, but she still wasn't convinced. This was a little too weird.

"I dunno.. Lemmy see the note." Terry was handed the note. It was a few pages long and went into detail on a few things. Mostly her mothers issues and how it wasn't a good time for her youngest daughter, Terry's sister, to be around. Money issues. Man issues. It reeked of her mother. Terry peeked over the note at the girl who raised her brows in return.

"Ayo.. Kid, who brought you here?" Terry folded the letter and stuffed it into her jacket pocket. The urge to just toss it was there, but she was trying to be a little more relaxed with the welling feeling of annoyance mixed with anger that she felt.

Her mother, just like that, sent someone here. It was terribly irresponsible. But, in a way, it's just like her mother. While Terry still held love for the woman, and she knew of the hardships of her past, she still couldn't help but want to slap her right now.

The girl shrugged. "Some guy."

That isn't the answer Terry wanted. She gave a look to Beatrice, who simply nodded her head. "A man was with her. The doorman couldn't get his name.. he handed the note and left her behind. Poor child." Motherly instinct must have hit Beatrice hard, as she drew the girl closer to her hip and stroked at her cheek.

"Uh.. So, you gonna tell me who the guy was? From home? Did mom know 'em? What?" Terry continued the small interrogation.

"I dunno." The girl said. She raised her shoulders and dropped them in an almost dramatic way. "This is stupid. Can I go? I want to watch TV."

"This ain't stupid, it's important. You coulda' been hurt, or worse.. Hey," Terry spoke, but the girl just leaned over the armrest of the couch and let out groan. "I'm booooored.." She said. This had Terry's brow twitching.

Jesus Christ. Why did she have to get stuck with a seven year old. A seven year old named...

"Mary.." Terry said. This not only caught the attention of the girl, but also the other woman who had stood close by. The new girl of the Manor, or the former new girl of the manor.

"Yes?" She said. Not the seven year old, but the one aged twenty two.

".. I'm talkin' to her." Terry gestured to the small, string bean of a girl who now leaned a little too much against the arm rest and flopped down onto the couch. The older Mary awkwardly nodded and held a thumbs-up to show she understood. Terry let out a huffed breath.

"Mom said you got cool stuff.. Do you got a Wii?" the girl sounded like she was complaining with her question.

This isn't going to be fun.
Last edited by King on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

The ride back home had been an even more annoying one. Terry prayed she wasn't this bad as a child. Every other minute it was `I'm bored` or `This song is stupid!`. That and the constant usage of `Why?`.

Why put on your belt? Because it's a god damn belt, or do you wanna go flyin' out a window or somethin' if we get in a wreck?! - THAT is what Terry wanted to yell when it came to the fourth why at the start of their trip. Though she ended it like she did the others; "Because I said so, that's why."

Jesus.

She really is starting to sound like an adult.

"That other place is huge.. this place is.. not huge." Would be what graced Terry's ears when they pulled up the quiet three bedroom, three bath (only two tubs/showers though), two story house.

"Yeah? Well this is my place, so you gotta' deal.. That Manors for Overlord business only," Terry added with a point of a finger at the young Mary. "An' you ain't Overlord."

"Yes I am." Came from the girl.

Terry didn't bite on the bait, she'd only roll her eyes and cut the engine after parking.

She circled about the jeep with the intent to open the girls door, but the smaller one had already slipped between the front seats and climbed over out of the back of the jeep on her own. Terry met her at the b ack. A rather wide grin flashed to Terry's own pursed, and not in a happy way, lips.

"Get inside." Terry's interaction with younger girls had come either from adoring young fans, the Squirts of St. Mary's -- who at least knew how to act in public (something they lost when they joined the ranks of middle schoolers), or the random whiny brat having a fit in the marketplace.

This girl most likely fit with the latter of the types. When Terry spoke to Mary, she had also nudged the girls forehead with her palm. Hopefully that got the message in her head.

Mary stood there and rubbed her head a little. The idea of staging a protest and standing by the car and not listening passed her mind ,but when she saw Terry not look back and continue on across the walkway that curved around the house? That's when the girl decided to run after her.

"This place is stupid.." The younger one said.

There's the word stupid again. Terry didn't say anything. No, just grit your teeth and continue on.

"Woah.." Came as they rounded the corner. The sound of rushing water had been heard, yes, but the sight of the waterfall which fell into a rather large pool beside the rocky cliff of the house is rather breathtaking. It made for good swimming too, as long as you didn't get too close to the edge and take a trip down the more slowly flowing fall.

"Yeah.. it's nice, ain't it?" Terry said as she fit the key inside the door. A light click came after she twisted it to the right. "I'll take ya' swimmin' if you stop sayin' everythin' is stupid, real talk." Barter system. Maybe it'll work?

The little girl smiled. Terry took that as a yes.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Waking up in the morning and finding out you have a sibling is some heavy stuff. Terry seemed to be still under the shock of it all, so it hadn't really set in fully. But when Mary now sitting on the couch watching a second episode of Power Rangers (which she called stupid, but told Terry not to turn off when the woman tried), it was when realization finally hit her.

Her mother had sent this girl, seven years old, to her. Not for a visit, but to stay for an untold amount of time. Terry sat there at the table and sipped on her coffee. The caffeine didn't help, but the bitterness of the coffee at least was a constant reminder that this wasn't a dream.

Laughter came from the girl. It seemed one of the quips of the Pink Ranger during one of the flashy fights must have been funny to her. It had Terry cracking a small smile due to the reaction of the younger one, but this wouldn't last.

She sat the coffee down and leaned forward to rest her face against waiting hands.

"Seriously, Mom.." She muttered to herself. A collection of a breath and a release a few seconds later. She was trying not to freak out right now.

"What's Mel gonna think.. ****, what's Peaches gonna say?" Fingers rubbed along her forehead circular motions. This wouldn't be easy.

She wanted to ask Mary more questions, but the girl seemed a little too focused on watching TV. Part of her didn't want to disturb the girl. This wasn't her fault either, she had been thrown into a situation she had no power in. Mom's word was law, pretty much, even if it was a stupid law.

Terry wondered though. Her mother had went into detail about a relationship problem with Mary's father. He drunk a little too much, he hit a little too often. With knowing that, how could she send the girl back?

"Mary." Terry finally said. She spoke the girls name to catch her attention.

Mary looked over and scrunched her face a little while doing so.

"You want pizza for lunch?" Terry said while resting the side of her head against a waiting palm. A single finger circling about the coffee mugs rim.

The girl seemed puzzled by this. "Why? .. Did a bad thing happen?"

This caught Terry be surprise. It seemed `pizza` meant to this girl what `Chinese` meant to Terry back in the day. Terry shook her head. "I'm jus' feelin' like pizza.. An' the place opens at eleven." She spied the clock while saying that. It would only be five minutes from now.

"No." The answer came from Mary. She then turned back to watch TV once more.

"They got good cheesy bread." Terry added. This piqued the girls interest once more.

After a few seconds of what she could only assume was deep thought, Mary finally answered with a quiet "Okay."

Terry leaned back in her chair and let out another sigh. ".. Kids can't say no to cheesy bread." She muttered to herself.
Last edited by King on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

The pizza and cheesy bread arrived forty minutes later. While Terry set Mary's plate on the table, expecting the girl to sit down, the smaller one had other plans when she grabbed the plate and returned to her claimed spot on the couch.

Marathoning Power Rangers must be serious business. Terry shrugged, it's not as if she cared if Mary sat at the table or not. Most meals were done in front of the television when it came to this home. Terry took hold of the pizza box and sat it down on top of the coffee table in front of the couch before sitting.

"Uh.. So," She tried to think up a way to break the ice. She had no trouble speaking with the grade schoolers at the private academy, but this felt way too awkward.

"Which one do you like?" Pointing at the TV. There looked to be another fight scene going on. Terry cringed a little at her own question. It sounded way too stupid to her.

"Why are you kissing a girl?" The smaller one said. Completely ignoring Terry's question. Her words came with hr own point, up at the picture held in a silver-sort of frame that sat beside the television.

"That's my girlfriend." She'd then check her watch. "Her names Melanie, an' she'll prolly be back home.. In four hours? Dependin' on if she's fig--.. Workin' tonight." She caught herself. Fighting wouldn't be the best word to use, right? This is all too strange.

Mary's reaction came in the form of a scrunched face and an audible `Gross`.

Terry snorted back then and shook her head. There was even a small laugh. "She's nice, don't worry. I wouldn't call her gross to her face though.." Terry leaned a little closer. ".. She can get scary."

Mary leaned back in reaction to this. Her eyes narrowed in an unsure sort of way.

".. Does she hit?" The small voice let out. This had Terry blinking and pulling back. She instantly felt terrible for trying to scare the girl; she hadn't meant it that way.

"N.. nah, she's sweet as hell. Seriously, there ain't nothin' for you to worry about. I mean," Terry picked some at the couch. A piece of the fabric pulling free. Crap, she needed to stop doing that. "No one's goin' to hit you. You're, uh.. my sister - right? It's my job to punch anyone who tries."

No more words came from either of them the next minute. Terry opened her mouth to say something, the sound of it leaving her lips, though Mary was quicker.

"Bathroom." The girl said as she jumped up.

Terry pursed her lips; they scrunched a little to the right. "Down the hall, first door on the left.."

Mary went rushing down the hall then. This left Terry some time to lean back and let out another exhausted breath.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Melanie's icecream seemed to be a good way to break the ice. It had been well past midnight when Mary had finally fallen asleep in front of the flickering television. Terry, who had been trying to fight her own bout of sleepiness, lingered there in her chair.

This was just the first day. Waking up to the surprise, the so-called attempt at bonding throughout the day, and even Melanie's introduction later on. It still felt strange. Everything about this. The fact that she didn't even know she had a sister twenty four hours ago -- and now the knowledge that she had someone relying on her.

Turning her away wasn't an option. She couldn't send her back, not if what was written in the letter was true; and her mother wasn't the type to lie about something like that. The only option was the one that had currently been taking place. She'd have to take care of her.

No longer a student. Terry King now worked for St. Mary's Catholic School for girls.

No longer the single child. She now had a younger sister, who strangely also shared the same name with not only a woman who worked at the Manor -- but also her work place as well.

The word teen would be taken from her in less than two months time.

Was this growing up?

Terry had to grow up fast. It came with the territory when someone had to deal with what she did at such a young age. But now this? This isn't a student she blows a whistle at and instructs to run around a track. This wasn't something she could turn on and off by stepping onto a campus and then leaving at the end of the day. This was a constant. Sun up to sun down.

Terry snapped out of her own thoughts when she saw the smaller form of her sister huddling against a rather large pillow. Terry rose from the chair and grabbed at a blanket that draped over the back of the couch.

She carefully covered Mary with the blanket and stepped away. A moment taken to just stare, then another to close her eyes and shake her head. She'd run fingers through her short brown hair and look to the stairs. While she'd usually venture up and see Melanie, she thought that maybe it wouldn't be for the best.

Terry lowered herself to lie down on the ground beside the couch. That's where she'd fall asleep.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Friday, November 21, 2014 -- Morning after the Overlord Defense

Terry winced lightly while clicking her tongue. She woke up with her shoulder throbbing in pain; obviously it had seen too much action during the night prior. An icepack had been strapped up to her shoulder while she sat at the kitchen table. There was nothing much to do beyond resting, listening to the TV behind her chime on about the news, and flick through e-mails and messages on her phone.

She had gotten a little too focused on answering a few texts. Some about the challenge, a few about entirely different subjects. But when she saw something step into the corner of her vision, that's when she snapped her attention. Mary stood there dressed in the new pajamas Terry and Melanie had bought her at the mall only a few days ago. Her hair was a mess of a bed-head.

"You're on TV." Mary said while pointing to the television. Terry blinked and looked over her good shoulder at the television. The smaller girl was right, still shots of Terry's defense were being shown on the screen while the reporter gave a long-story-short account of the challenge.

"Oh... Uh, Yeah. I had a pretty busy night." Terry said awkwardly. She hadn't gone into any sort of detail with her sister about her `job` as a duelist.

"Is that how you got hurt?" Another point from Mary. This time at Terry's shoulder.

Terry tried to figure out a way to explain this, but in the end nothing came to mind. Saying she tripped over might not be a convincing story when one of the still-photo's shown on the television had been her taking a hit to the very same shoulder that was being iced.

"Yeah, I got hit pretty hard.. But it's fine. Jus' hurts a lil'." She tried to say this with a convincing smile. She even rolled that shoulder some and did her best to fight back the urge to wince.

Mary seemed to be squinting at her. Terry felt a little put off by this and ran a hand over her own neck. The awkward tension could be felt from her as she looked away. It was then that she saw the box sitting on top of the table.

"Oh, hey.." She'd say. An attempt to change the subject. She'd reach over to slide the box toward the edge of the table. "Here, brownies. A kid around your age gave 'em to me, said they were made by her grandma." The box opened then to show the brownies inside.

Mary eyed them, then Terry. The face scrunching faded just a touch. "I can have one?" She finally said.

Terry, thankful for the distraction, nodded her head. Who cares if brownies weren't exactly breakfast food. "Ayo.. If you want, I could introd," -- "No." Mary cut her off while taking a brownie and leaving the kitchen behind. The girl dropped down in front of the television after grabbing the the remote. With brownie in one hand and remote in the other, a morning of TV watching looked to be Mary's schedule for today.

"Are you sure? She's really nice." Terry tried to start, but Mary seemed to be ignoring her right now.

With a sigh Terry propped her head up with a fist and looked back to her phone. Maybe she'll ask her later when the kid seemed to be in a better mood.

At least she took the brownie without a complaint.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Monday, December 8, 2014

When Rocky's bigger and I go home.. Will he bite daddy when he hits mom?

The younger girl seemed confused when Terry drew her into an embrace. After some time Mary began to squirm and asked if she could go play with her new puppy. When Terry released a spark had been lit and her brain went wild.

-------------------

Monday, December 9, 2014

That had been a day ago.

Favors were asked and time off granted. The Jeeps spot in front of the house became empty.

On the road. Terry headed toward the small town she had been born and raised in. She left in the morning and pulled an all nighter. The sun crept on the horizon when she passed by the Welcome sign that was still in desperate need of a new paint job.

Fatigue had been the last thing on Terry's mind. Sure, she felt tired, but that fire inside had been lit and it wouldn't die anytime soon; it's the only thing that kept her going. It helped propel her from the Jeep and set her in a brisk walk toward the small two story. The address that had been attached to the letter her mother had sent along with Mary.

One knock. Two knocks. Three. A thumb press to the doorbell and the chime that followed. Terry began to pace about the front door until it was opened. There she stood -- her mother. A fresh bruise on her cheek and a surprised expression on her face. She parted her lips to speak, but Terry had pushed past her without missing a step. The lit fire, upon seeing that, had become nothing more than an inferno.

"Where is he?" Is all she could say as she began her search, but it wouldn't be long. Sitting there, on the couch in the living room, it had to be him. He looked older, but that's her mothers style. Get with a man in his fifties and hope he'd support you. Balding, a little fat around the edges, but none of that mattered. His looks weren't on trial, it had been his actions; that alone deserved a punishment.

Her mother was speaking, but she couldn't hear it. It was just white noise in the background as she set across the living room.

"Who the hell are you?" Came from the man. It's all Terry really heard. Nothing else from him mattered.

It didn't matter that a jacket bearing a badge had been draped over the couches arm rest. What could come of this hadn't been on her mind. What came after would come after -- but for now?

She swung the tire iron of her jeep. She swung it hard.

-------------------

Monday, December 10, 2014

Overlord arrested for aggravated assault of a police officer.

That's what pumped out at the wee hours of the morning. Though the internet had already released information the night after the beating.

Thank God for RhyDin lawyers. She was back in the city before lunch.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

1 AM : Monday, January 5, 2015

A recovering drug addict.
Overdosed.
Drop out.
Fights for a living.
Has an unstable lover.

Much more had been said. Dark things Terry did not wish to be said in the light of day, but it helped her case. All this dirty laundry spoken for all within the compact courtroom to hear. It was nerve-racking.

The custody battle over Mary had been up in the air. While her lawyer told her that everything should be fine, Terry couldn't help but feel the nagging doubt turn more from a whisper to a shout. Every second within that courtroom had been stressful. She felt cornered with no where to go at times. Perhaps it had been a panic attack of sorts.

Reflecting on the day only caused the feeling to return. Her body hot, her hair wet, all remnants of the shower that she had left only some minutes ago. Terry sat at the edge of her hotel bed with eyes half-lidded and her dazed gaze on nothing in particular.

I'm going to lose her..

The possibility was there. She could lose her sister, someone she only met a month before hand, someone she had no interest in at first. Now -- it had been different. Even with such a short amount of time that passed, Terry did not want her to leave. She did not want the child to return to that.

You see yourself in her..

Insane. Talking to yourself. But that little voice that spoke of right and wrong had a distant cousin; one named doubt.

Terry hunched over and pressed her face within the warmth of her palms. The pitter-patter of cold rain creating a mixture of sounds with the hum of the near by heater. They sung louder within Terry's ears as she simply sad there and considered what could happen.

A momentary distraction came from the light buzzing of her phone. Terry lowered her hands slowly and looked to to the side table where the device had been charging. "Prolly Mel.." She muttered to herself as she reached over. Maybe it's Peaches, the inner voice speculated.

It's probably not.., came the doubt.

It wasn't Peaches. Nor was it Melanie.

Charlie Nine won the Overlord Grant. Salvador Delahada came in second. Grace Frigg third.

There was no emotion in the text. All it did was state the outcome. But what should she expect from a man who lived most of his life behind a desk while having a wife and three children at home that he never sees? Sometimes you have to become robotic to live through the day by day of that.

"I should buy him somethin'.." she spoke of him. Her manager.

"That's that then.." The distraction seemed to work for a few minutes. It gave something for Terry to imagine about as she laid back and sprawled across the middle of that bed. She wished she could have seen it, but life got in the way. Life outside of fighting for sport, money, and fame. A more real world.

Her moment of imagination came to an end when she turned her head and looked to the clothing hanging within the open closet of the hotel. The blouse and jacket combo she wore, along with the skirt hanging in front of it. She recalled commenting about how old people looked wearing such fashion while secretly admiring the women who do. But now, she was turning into that woman. She was no longer the voyeur admiring the older beauty from afar.

Growing up is a scary thing.

Terry closed her eyes and thought for a moment. Her phone then came before her face. She skimmed through her address book until she came across the registered name of Peaches.

Went to court today. It didn't go well. I wish you were here. You know how to make me smile during rough times.

Why was she writing to Peaches and not Melanie? She gripped her phone for some time before finally deleting the text all together. Her face then turned and buried itself into a pillow.

"You're the worst.." She chided herself. She would stay that way until gathering herself with a long draw of a breath. The phone lit up once more, yet this time the number she wrote to had been the one of the Mandalorian who her heart belonged to.

I'm going to sleep. Today was rough but it should get better. I heard about Charlie you know how to pick them.

Terry paused for some time, then finally entering the final sentence. Three words.

I love you.

Sent.

Why was it so hard to show her true feelings? She wanted to say more than it was rough. She wanted to lay out her concerns, but she did not want to worry Melanie. Not now, at least. Maybe when she could see her face to face she would say something. For now though, she felt it would be best to endure her feelings.

She should have a happy night anyway.. I don't want her worrying..

Terry fell asleep some minutes later. The emotional drain of the done day, along with the sound of the rain and heater being enough of a lullaby to send her to sleep.

"Terry.."

A dream so vivid, yet the voice so small.

The vision of a blonde looming above her. The way her lips curled and formed that beautiful smile. The way her bare chest heaved with each breath. Her smell, everything, it had been intoxicating.

Their fingers intertwined. Their palms pushed together. Those lips, so close to her own, she could feel the heat of the woman's breath as the blonde lowered herself to...

"Terry.. I miss you.".

Peaches..

Terry awoke then. The heaters no longer hummed and sat silent. The rain continued to fall, but not as fast as it had been when she fell asleep. None of this mattered, none of it at all. A cold sweat ran down Terry's spine. Her eyes fixated on the bedside lamp that, even now, brought light to a room she didn't want going dark.

".. I'm so ****** up.." Terry confessed in a quiet, guilty voice.
Last edited by King on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Sleep, though difficult as it came after such a dream, came nevertheless. Terry awoke in the morning feeling not at all refreshed, nor relaxed. Her shoulder ached and her mind in what felt to be a perpetual daze. She wanted to sleep more -- but she knew that wouldn't be allowed. She needed to get back to RhyDin City. First stop would be the small airport, then maybe she could sleep during the almost two hour long trip.

The morning felt hazy.

She got up, she almost took a shower again; but recalled she did that the night prior before falling asleep. After that came a breakfast of self-served waffles in the lobby. Only a few bites had been taken of it -- the rest only picked at with light clanks of a fork.

The dream had still been on her mind. Peaches and her had found comfort in one another when they first began their friendship, but the discovery of Daxia and Terry's relationship had put an end to that. What Peaches and her became after that had been something far different from sexual attraction -- it was a true friendship, something that went beyond the bounds of pleasure.

Then why did she fantasize about her last night?

Terry sat in the airport terminal. Her body hunched over and her face resting against the back of folded hands.

`Tired..`, that's what came to mind, but only in an attempt to push away other thoughts.

Those thoughts wouldn't be pushed away any time soon. The more Terry thought, the more her cheeks felt heated and flushed.

Why is this happening? Why now?

".. Prolly just miss her." She muttered to herself. That had to be the answer. She missed Peaches. She had been thinking about her before going to bed and somehow that vivid dream came out of it. It didn't mean anything beyond that.

If that were true though. Why did she feel so guilty?

"Miss who?" Came a voice from behind her.

Terry turned and looked to the young boy sitting behind her. He smiled at her. She smiled back.

"Sorry." The woman beside the boy, most likely her mother, said with an apologetic expression.

"It's okay.." said Terry. She looked away and stared out the window while listening to the young mother attempting to explain to her son that eavesdropping was wrong. The child didn't seem to understand, and for that Terry curled a hidden smile.

Finding humor in this small moment. Even if it was fleeting.

Before she boarded the plane and turned off her phone. A single text was sent.

Text to Melanie
Good morning. Hope you're having a good day. I'm going on the plane now so I wont be able to respond. I'll see you later.
Fourth
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Fourth »

Edited from live play.

The ties that bound one another together seemed rooted in the heart, though Melanie's connection to those she cared for was born within the fractured microplanes of her skewed perspective. Where a human saw the now, Melanie saw the here as if looking through the facets of countless diamonds, each face different, each face seemingly random. Years worth of labor, hidden practice and silent suffering, had given her some measure of control. It was through these strange senses that she discerned, upon mounting the porch, that Terry was at home. Melanie hadn't been at home last night, nor had her phone been turned on. In fact, the device was inert and had been left atop the table found in the foyer. When she breezed through the door, she might have seemed more exotic than before. She'd been home, or as close as she could have been. Rather than dressing like the urbane siren she so typically was. Melanie's clothing was that of desert born royalty, black silk, elegant in it's simplicity. Flowing pants, loose and seemingly flimsy, were near hidden under a split tunic of the same color and the same cloth. Ballet slippers, or so it might have looked, graced delicate, dangerous feet. As she rounded the door, she did so quietly, but with an obvious sense of annoyance and confusion. Though she knew Terry was here, she knew not where, nor did she know the mood she'd find her counterpart in. Perhaps she'd been seeking privacy after the court date? Rather than force her way into the world around her, she paused in the kitchen and lifted her voice into a sibilant rendition of, "You're around, yeah?

"Not too loud." Came the sound of Terry's voice some moments later as she came down the stairs. "Mary's got classes in the morning." School had started this past Monday. While Terry missed taking the child to school for her first day, she had picked her up after it was over. "Was jus' stitchin' her name into her uniforms." Which was why a few of her fingers had already held bandages; it seemed she couldn't help but stick herself with a needle with her fumble fingers. Terry had still been dressed in a tracksuit -- it seemed she hadn't changed out of her own work wear. Going from court earlier this week to right back to work; life didn't seem to stop for anything. The jacket had been removed though, so that left her in a simple long sleeve top. She looked tired. "Welcome home." Conflicted thoughts of what happened earlier in the week wouldn't stop her from offering Melanie a smile. "I was worried that you didn't have your phone."

"Do you know how to sew?" Melanie was, before she had been anything else, a soldier. Trained to survive where death ruled, trained to conquer when cut off and thrive where only the heroes walked, she had been built to exist entirely on her own. Therefore, she could sew in a rudimentary manner. It wasn't pretty, but she was able to fix a tear and mend a rip with some skill. She, as well, seemed exhausted, exhausted, angry, fatigued and broken down in a manner so few had ever seen her. The clothing was another rare form of her being, almost ceremonial. "Yeah, it's right there." She pointed down, the black object rested still and silent. All of the sudden, maybe due to the days spent away or the small amount of empathy Melanie laid claim to, she danced within Terry's grasp and drew the other, voluntarily or not, into a close, warm embrace. "I went home, sort of. Or at least close to where my home was. How was court?" Mary was still here, so it obviously couldn't have went that poorly.

"You kinda' have to learn.. I wore a lotta' hand me downs 'n stuff when I was younger. Mom taught me a few things." It was one of the memories she enjoyed; her mother showing her how to stitch. Sure, Terry stuck herself more than normal, but she kept up with it and could easily mend clothing to the point of looking `okayish`, or at least not so visable by the naked eye. She'd never get a job in the department though. She had seen the phone upon her return, so she had known it wasn't taken. Terry hadn't expected the sudden embrace and found herself surprised within Melanie's arms. Her own rose soon enough to hang about the Mandalorian's waist. "Fine.. Things got a little rough," She wondered if she should go into detail. The urge to bite back and keep it within had been there. Not for Melanie's benefit, but more so for her own. "It's hard listenin' to the bad parts of your past bein' brought up.." She'd then shake her head. "You went into space?" Curious.

"Well, that makes sense, I guess." She'd not thought of it that way. She'd been the elite, the point of her people's spear. Her word, inside and outside, when at home had been a law few dared to even consider questioning. When she needed something, it was provided, when she asked, she was served. All because of what she was and all because of what Terry swore she was not. Her people valued bravery and courage, she had that in spades. Her people valued skill and prowess, they worshipped weapons. She, through her blood and her destiny, was the final edge on a martial machine's long reaching blade. When Terry spoke, she understood instantly. Her sins were aired in the depths of her mind on a day to day basis, more so now than ever before. While she didn't pry, she leaned her cheek against Terry's own and murmured a soft, "I won't ask if you don't want to tell, but if you ever do..." She left it at that, a quiet promise fit for the half light of a private moment. Compassionate she was not, she rarely cared. But for this one? She'd tear a star down from the night's hand and lay it at her feet, should there be a need. When asked, she withdrew slightly, her hands loosely on Terry's shoulders, and shrugged. It seemed as if they both didn't want to speak, or couldn't just yet. "Close enough, yes. Things like....uh..." She faltered on the words, these were not things spoken of often. "distance and even time, reality I guess, don't really matter much to me. If I need to somewhere, I can normally get close enough. So, yeah. They called me home and I went, hence the clothes." At least she'd taken the blood spattered armor off and left it in the garage.

"Thanks." Quiet. A single word. But there had been some sort of feeling behind it. Thankful for the woman's understanding. When Melanie pulled away, Terry's arms would extended some to allow for it. Hands now on the woman's waist, though one did rise to feel at the fabric which adorned the others flesh. "You look nice." An idle observation. "Is this what they wear on your home?" Her vision rose from the fabric so that she could look to those dark eyes. It was only a glance though and instead fell to the side. "This is your home too though, you know.. How was it? Did anything happen that I should know about?" The glance returned.

Melanie didn't expect to hear it, not tonight. Sometimes, however, she felt that it was better to offer nothing more than the simple words of acceptance that showed another's willingness to listen, to try to understand. She knew Terry well, she understood the other's hesitance to step into anything quickly. As she pulled away fully, she instinctively smoothed the mark of her station. Centered on the front of the black tunic was, of course, her people's horrid skull, a picture stitched in white and grey. "No, not really. It's sort of a mark of station? I can wear it because I don't need my armor to defend myself, you know? It's a constant reminder, a few people in normal clothes around an entire legion armed and armored. By saying that I don't need it, I'm essentially daring anyone to, I guess, challenge me?" It most likely didn't make sense. As she toyed with the fringes of her clothing, she shrugged and took a moment to compose herself. "More lies, yeah?" Her eyes were wide, her expression volatile and almost, almost unhinged. "I thought they were all dead, yeah? My son, his father, my family. Fabricated, just so I'd hate more. We trade hate for power, yeah? Turns out they're not. They, well...." She paused her, feet scuffing the ground. "Think I should go back. Trying to force me back didn't work, so they are asking now. I guess they think that's a better idea."

"You're asking for trouble, but I'm glad you didn't get into any." At least it didn't sound like she did. "I mean, I guess it would clash with whatever I'd wear if we went walkin' about." An attempt to find some silliness -- an attempt to bring humor, but the way she said it, it might come across a little harder to pull off. Even more when she found herself silenced by the discovery Melanie spoke of. Her expression fell, it mixed well with the look of surprise that crept along soon after. "That's good.." that's a lie.. She felt guilty for thinking any different. In reality, it was like another rock being thrown through a broken window. ".. I mean, that they are alive." She swallowed back then, nervously. Her hands, unsure what to do with them, slipped into the pockets of her pants. "What're you going to do then?"

"I'd have to go alone, Terry." She did not have pockets, but her arms folded across the flowing material that covered her chest, effectively hiding the symbol she once wore with such pride. "My people, Terry, despise the existence of other humans who won't join us. We kill them if they don't. You're a human." She thought the point was clear, but there could be no assumption when the matter was of this much importance. "As in, they'd see you as unclean, unpure. I'd not allow you to take the oaths, so it'd me leaving, not me and you." She didn't give the matter much thought, nor did she bother with allowing time for doubts to form. "I'm a weapon, sweetheart. You told me I'm not, but you're wrong. That's all I can be for them. They asked me to choose, this world or my own. A fighter here, your lover here, a friend to some people here or royalty there, a killer there." She didn't quite smile but her voice held some measure of mirthless humor. "And while I gave it some thought, I couldn't help it..." It'd been, for a moment, the easy choice. Just run away, do what you know. "I can't have him back, and the man's not the man he was, nor am I the young girl I was. Besides, I've got you." Uneasy and shy, she shrugged and glanced into the mirror that stood atop the table within the foyer. "I didn't stay there."

Unclean.. unpure. Words she thought of herself before meeting Melanie.Yet hearing them caused her vision to lower and set on the counter top instead. Hearing Melanie speak -- it reminded her of a position she put others in. Just say it.. she felt herself thinking. Just say the words, cast her aside. She could feel the nervous, cold sweat returning to her. Her stomach felt far too alive for comfort. Yet, it did not come. What she heard instead had been something far different. She looked to Melanie's eyes once more then and couldn't help but stare. ".. So, you chose to be here then." Came her voice after a few moments of silence.

"There'd be no point in being a mother to someone who'd never understand who I am." She seemed angered by this, hurt more than anything. Her fists balled, an involuntary reaction, and for a moment her eyes sparked with livid, blatant purple streaks. Before the taint had taken her, before she'd given so much of her sanity, they'd been that color, royal purple, soft purple. "Even there, Terry, I'm an object. I'm a freak, you know? We aren't supposed to be Force users, we aren't supposed to be me. I'm a mutant, a genetic flaw, yeah? I can be used, but I'm best on a leash, controlled and pointed in a direction, then let go." She muttered the words, small things. "I will not be used." She finally looked back up, the weight of guilt in her eyes. "I'm not a painting on the wall. You don't treat me like that. I don't need to be anything more than what I want to be with you. It's not like that..." She unclenched one hand and gestured up, towards where the night sky should have been. "there. I'm too different. So yeah, I'm here."

Guilty. She felt even more guilty. For allowing herself to doubt the woman -- that among other reasons. Terry's own hands clenched inside her pockets. "You're here.", she repeated the phrase. Her fingers uncurled and hands slid from the pockets. A step taken then, one so that she could draw closer to Melanie and reach to take her within her arms. "Welcome home." This was home, wasn't it? She had said it once, but now it had more meaning behind it. "I'm glad you're back.. and here to stay."

Though she wore the emblem with apparent pride, she called this place home. It was not her way, not her principal, to turn her back on what she believed. Through another's teaching, she'd come to realize that the twin tusked skull stood for what her people could never be, not again and not anymore. As she gave this thought, she spread her hand, fingers held wide, across the symbol so prominently displayed. She could be that, the last scion of a forgotten idea, even if she was here. Here, that strange idea. Here to stay. She'd spent so much time on the run, years hiding and years retreating in the face of a battle she couldn't win. She didn't stop the embrace, nor did she enter it fully. Her arms remained down, she still seemed confused. "Home, right. With you."

t sounded selfish. Here to stay, as if she had any power over it. She couldn't even push away her own problems, so how could she expect anyone else to do the same. When the arms remained down and she felt, even at this distance, the hug being something less than it should -- it had been when Terry's own grasp on Melanie began to loosen; until she pulled away all together. ".. I'm sorry, if I said anything wrong.. This can't be easy for you."

"It's easier than it might seem, I guess." She shrugged, a lame response that was quite typical of her introspective nature. "I mean, it was be alone there, like I always was before, or not be alone here. You taught me a lot, and so I learned, yeah?" The past few months, the past year, had done more to change her than an entire lifetime's worth of education and schooling. Keenly aware of the manner in which Terry turned away, she instantly regretted her actions, her words. Selfish? She couldn't even say the words, not right now. Hopefully, she placed a hand on the table, palm up, and edged it closer towards Terry, inch by inch. "Hard time for both of us. She's here though, so that's good?" As she spoke, she ticked her chin upwards and in the direction of Mary's room.

Her own hand had reached to take hold of a chair. She pulled it out and lowered herself to sit. When Mel's lingered close, it had been her right that reached to take the hand without delay. "I wouldn't know how to feel.. I've never been in a situation like that, so i'm a lil' stupid when it come to it.. I jus' want you to know, I'm here for you." She is. Even through the dreams and doubt -- she had still been here for Melanie. She would swallow all of it for now and maybe, just maybe, the dream meant nothing. There's no reason to even bring it up and into the open. "Yeah, I mean.. she's still here. I'm goin' back to court in a few weeks, an' then who knows.. Right now I'm lookin' at no jail time, all that's left is the stuff with Mary."

"It is what it is and it will be what it has been, Terry. I've rarely been in control of my own life, and now I am. I just didn't want to give that up." Feeling closer to her normal self, quite feline in nature, she wasted no time in dropping atop the chair, which of course was Terry. She sat facing away, perched on the other's lap, and dragged Terry's hand around her waist before settling it in her lap. With no real purpose, she began toying with the other's fingers, a placid gesture of affection. A strange quirk, her fascination with other's hands. Her own looked so different, at least in her mind. Maybe that'd change at some point. "I know. It's why I came in the first place. I mean, through the first shit storm, and now this, it's kind of always been the two of us.Why leave what works? All I really know is that I've lived with you and without you, and I'm happier when I'm with you." As she spoke, she turned quickly and offered Terry a peck, a short thing, to her cheek. "So I can't break you out?" Mock sadness coated her words. "You know, I had an idea about that...."

"I can't really say what happened, maybe my Mom said somethin' to him, or maybe my lawyer said somethin'. The charges were dropped, somehow.." She really didn't know. It felt awkward and strange that she didn't. Being kept out of the loop hadn't exactly been the most fun of things. The peck to her cheek drew her back more into reality. Terry blinked and looked to Melanie's mockingly sad look. A rather content smile found her face. "You did? I wouldn't want you blowin' up or hurtin' anyone for me though.."

"Well, I mean, maybe if they knew that there was someone else here, someone else to help with her..." She let it die there, the subject being quite a touchy one indeed. As to the nature of the politics, the matters of court, she could offer little .She, after all, had only been arrested once. She'd also reminded this city's Watch why that was a horrible, terrible idea and had not quite made it to court. All of that, the matters that pertained to it, were quite strange to her mind. She'd heard the speel before, the 'don't hurt anyone.' As her lashes fluttered, a rare blink, she shrugged and offered a benign smile that never quite lost the look of a viper. "But I would, though."

"They know. I went on the stand and told the judge what we did over the holidays, everythin'. About Rocky, about how she scraped her knee when she tripped over the rug.. There's only so much I can say, an' that's outside of draggin' people through the mud.. Right now, I'm guessin' it's just the waitin' game.. They want Mary to see a doctor hired by the court, prolly talk some things over.. So, whatever she says -- I guess. This new year started off rough for the both of us.." She finished her words with an easy observation as she squeezed the hand she held. "An' I know you would, but if you were to break me out.. I'd rather it be all stealthy."

"I'm not very good at that, actually." Though she had the tools, she had little to no inclination. Why, she wondered, should she bother with remaining hidden when she could simply glance at a wall and watch it fall apart? Not often, not often at all, but often enough it seemed. She'd spoken quietly, as if that was not the point to any of this. In her mind, the point was that she'd spoken of her, of them, in such a public place. For one who'd been kept in the shadows for so long, acceptance, a claim, tugged at the heart strings Terry held in both of her hands. She'd been sitting with her back to her counterpart, but upon hearing this most recent confession, she turned quickly, an effortless motion, that left them face to face. It was a tender thing, the kiss that looked for no cheek and found only lips, she hoped. Tender and slow, more sweet than anything else. "You've no idea how much I love you for that, Terry. Each day, yeah? You make me feel like you're proud to be with me, and that..." She settled more fully and pulled back from the remnants of the kiss, a comfortable thing. "is so important to me. No one else ever did, so why would I want to leave you?"

"I dunno, you're petty good at sneakin' up on me sometimes." The small weight atop her lap shifted then. Now they were face to face, and Melanie's own had dipped in to press her lips to Terry's. The tanned woman sat there, though after some seconds she'd raise a hand from Melanie's and press it to the woman's cheek instead. A tilt of her head to allow the slow kiss to be something more until they parted ways. "I told you. You're my girl.. Why wouldn't I talk about you?" She'd purse her lips some then. "Mel." What she said, that Melanie was hers. Anyone else in the past she could say that to without batting an eyelash, but here -- after the dream, it made her feel guilty. "I had a dream about Peaches.. We were naked, we kissed." The confession came out suddenly as Terry turned her head. "I'm sorry." Twenty and still worrying about something that could be considered something so highschool in thought. Terry lowered her gaze while lips took on light pout. It wasn't faked, it wasn't there to try and sooth any feelings. She truly felt bad.

"You just don't pay attention, that's all." As she moved, the light, small as it was, fell across her shoulders. Where a shadow should have been, where the twisted mass of living darkness should have crawled, nothing showed. For now, at least, the murky gloom that followed her, another's presence and another's twisted mind, had been forced to the side of this world. How long she could keep the monster at bay, however, was never a sure thing. Damaged bridges, burned bridges, were hard to rebuild. "Well, I mean, the other people didn't really talk about me outside of sleeping with me, so I don't know. It's just a big d-......oh." She paused mid sentence, the words having taken a moment to register in her mind. At times, her thoughts out paced her ability to react to them, though this was a ahmmer's blow, or a beacon in the night. "Why the-......., I guess no one can be blamed for thoughts." Always quiet, her voice dropped octaves until it reached a level that was difficult to hear, even due to the proximity. The distance grew, marginally. Forever one to jump to conclusions and habitually on the edge of a downwards spiral, she shrugged and glanced to the side. In her mind, it made sense. The night that she wasn't there, the night the other was alone in a hotel. It was a hollow feeling, one choked back quickly and harshly. "Maybe it was just stress? I'm sorry I wasn't there." She sounded like she was trying to convince herself of that.

"I think I jus' miss her.. she's been gone for a while," It sounded like excuses to Terry. Her eyes, still lowered and looking to the table instead, felt as if they could not turn fully to Melanie. ".. It could be, but it was still wrong.. I shouldn't of brought it up." Her body slouched a little. Everything felt heavy. Melanie had spoken of walking away from the father of her child and the child as well -- to return to her side, yet Terry felt the need to make a moment of comfort into something possibly more damaging. "But.. I didn't wanna hide it. You shouldn't be sorry, it was my fault." Her bangs fell over her eyes some as she dipped her hed. It was a clear sign that her hair had grown out some; that she needed a haircut. "It was jus' a dream.. I wouldn't think about doin' somethin' like that for real, believe me."

"Dreams are subconcious thoughts, Terry." She snapped, the words harsh and quite clipped, terse and angry. Quick to blow things far away from reality, she fell silent almost instantly. Terry didn't deserve those words, not now, most likely not ever. Even as soon as she'd said them, she felt the stream of hate rising, a caged animal that filled her mouth with a bitter vitriol. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that." A murmur, quite a whisper. The words were strange, the flavor odd. Twice in one night, she'd apologized. You just miss her, or you miss kissing her? I wanted to be your dream girl, Terry. It should have been me. No matter the words she said, those thoughts weighed down the pit of her stomach like a rusted anchor dragging a ship to certain doom. "I would rather you have told me. I was under the impression that we didn't keep secrets from each other. Isn't that what you told me once, that you wanted to know everything, all of it?" This next sentence was less angry, but still far from pleased. Her eyes, suddenly logical and chillingly appraising, drew a line through Terry's forehead, even as one hand idly tussled with the hair. Truth be told, she liked it longer. "I'd hope not." It was all she had, this faith. Quite literally. She'd thrown everything else away, all of it. "You're it for me, Terry King. I gave everything else up for you, every fucking thing I'd ever known. But thank you for telling me." An after thought, something muttered and something drawled in her own language, almost a reflexive action. "Na'ha tratto'ka, Mesh'la."

The snap not only silenced her, but also caused her body to tense. She felt a lump in her throat, and no matter how many times she swallowed, it wasn't going away. Terry felt terrible, not only that -- she felt scared. All she could do was nod her head slowly when Melanie spoke her apology. "That's why I said it.. I don't wanna hide anythin' from you." She snorted back some, then turned her head. This shift hadn't lasted for long as she raised her chin a touch so that she could dare look upon Melanie once more. You're it for me.. Those words that caused Terry to feel even worse about the dream. Melanie had given up much -- and here she is. "I'm sorry." She repeated the apology. "I know.. You've given up a lot for me, that's why I felt so terrible.. I did miss you, but it's no excuse."

"I don't want excuses, Terry." She sounded as if she was pleading, or if she was just exhausted. Emotions were her weakness, emotions she didn't understand. She leached upon them, drew them in and fed on the residual energy. When there was nothing but confusion, her mind burned and her body felt heavy. "Don't fuck up, more or less. Literally, 'Don't fail me now, beautiful.'" This was an addendum, she'd quickly realized her hypocrisy. Muttering in her own language was another secret kept, another poor reaction. The tensing, the snort, the very look at the sight of Terry's features, all in turn, mitigated the rising tide of anger like a dam thrown before a wall of rushing water. The hand that'd idled within tangled locks shifted down, ever so slowly, until her palm rested on Terry's cheek. For a moment, she stared silent before resting her cheek against her own hand, quite close. "I believe you, on both accounts." This from one who trusted a number she could count on one hand. "I don't think you'd do that, I won't allow myself to think it." Abruptly, she stood, though her hand lingered. "I'm going to sleep." You can come if you want, or not. It wasn't said, but the intent shouldn't have been hard to see, expressive as she was.

Don't fuck up. Easily said than done. Much of Terry's relationships ended like that -- fucked up. It was a fear going into this one. She had allowed herself to be open more, to have faith, and she didn't want that to be stricken down so soon. The hand pressed to her cheek, then Melanie's own cheek pressed to that hand. Them lingering like this had been nice. The closeness shared after being apart for only a few days. When Melanie stood and spoke, Terry sat there with her thoughts. "I'll be up in a lil' bit.. I need to finish a few things down here." she said while touching her own hand to Melanie's. "I won't be long."

For a moment, Melanie stared over her shoulder. Her eyes, things that varied like a mid summer sky, seemed blank, almost empty. I won't let myself think that she's going to text her, or call her. I won't, I won't just fucking fade out and stand right here. Her thoughts were dangerous things, paranoia drawn from age old wounds that'd never been healed. She'd been the product of betrayal, an ugly thing, and it was all that she feared. "Don't take too long, please?" Shoes akin to ballet flats slipped up the steps, a ghost's whisper of sound. She paused long enough to, for whatever reason, poke her head into Mary's room, curious and habitually nervous. Satisfied by the sight of a sleeping body, she turned through their door. Clothes were left in a haphazard pile, soft garments thrown towards the wall in a rash motion. When she finally fell into the bed they shared, she did so on the far side, close to the edge. Sleep never came easily, she'd no doubt it'd be any better on this night.

Alone in the kitchen then. Terry kept to the seat in silence while looking down at the table. Then, with a shift of her body, her head would tilt back so eyes could look up to the ceiling that seperated the first floor from the second. "ugh," Not much of a word, but the expression of disgust in herself had been there nonetheless. A soft mewl from Trouble had finally caught her attention. The cat seemed to be hungry. While Terry's first idea had been to just gather her thoughts, this turned into her standing up and opening a can of cat food. Once the feline appeared to be happy with its meal, Terry would wrap the remainder of the can in tinfoil and place it inside the freezer. She watched the cat eat, then slowly crouched down to give Trouble a few strokes along its spine. Five minutes would pass before Terry entered the room. Quietly, she changed from her clothing and into something more reasonable to sleep in -- a simple top and pajama pants. She lingered close by the bed and looked to Melanie on the far other side. Slowly, she climbed into the covers and took the very same position on the opposite side of the bed. Even together like this, it felt far apart.

Quite like she'd once done, countless nights ago when she'd slept angry, or tried to, Melanie found that she couldn't. A whirlwind of emotions, she understood one thing in the strange combination of this and that, the pervasive notions that danced through her mind like errant storms waiting to give birth to petty outbursts. She could feel the weight shift, the subtle change, quite as easily as she could hear footsteps that were never so quiet. She turned slowly, her eyes open and her chin held up on one hand, posted and curious. Ever so slowly, in inches and shudders, she closed the distance. Not quite all the way, but when she finally felt comfortable, she found that her hand rested atop Terry's hip, her elbow barely bent by the extension. Oddly enough, she discerned that the distance, something she'd created, was to be blamed for the feeling of instant loneliness. While not wrapped around the other's form, simple shared warmth seemed like a bridge in the darkness. "G'night, sweetheart." Muttered into a pillow, soft last words.

Text to Terry ----- I'm sorry for last night. I want you to know that I trust you, not because I have to, but because I want to. In the end, you'll do what you do, Terry. I fell in love with you, you fell in love with me. I trust that. I hope you have a good day. <3 :*
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Saturday. January 24, 2015 -- The Night of the Overlord Challenge

The Arena would not have its challenge. The streams closed and refunds given. The Overlord had been a no show. There was one thing that could easily trump the obligations of a title holder -- and that, to Terry King, had been family.

A call had come in the night before. The sounds of yelling and crashing heard in the background, the soft cries and whispers of her mother heard over the phone. "Please, I need you." Desperate with the tone of fear. It had been something Terry heard many times in her past -- but it would never be something she could grow used to. The worry she felt vibrated throughout her body and a simple promise was made. She would be there. She would get her out of there.

It had been a rush job, but she had been able to find a pilot willing to fly her with lack of notice. It had been the wee hours of the morning when they touched down onto the tarmac.

"I don't care what it looks like, I just need a car." Terry spat out. It had been so unlike herself, but this whole situation had been outside of the norm. She needed to get out of here -- she needed to get there. There would only be a small window for this to work and that would be when the man she so desperately wanted to get her mother away from left for the bar. Early, even before twelve in the afternoon, he left like clockwork -- or that is what she had been told.

The first order of business had been to get her mother out of there. It's why she wouldn't even cut the engine after the 2012 Subaru Foreser came to a stop in front of that house. Terry looked to the house that she had paid for -- from the money that she sent to her mother, month after month, when she started making it big at the Dueling rings. To know that her own money helped house the man that beat her mother? It was a disgusting feeling.

No horns. A call had been enough to urge her mother from the house. Terry left the Subaru behind and quickly ushered the woman over while opening the backseat. "What else is there?" She said while turning. It was then that she saw the darkened bruise that stained the right of her mothers jaw. Terry grit her teeth then, but said nothing of it. She just shook her head in anger. The older woman saw this yet said nothing as well -- she had instead hoisted up her heavy rolling luggage back and slid it into the backseat.

"There's two more.. Terry," she said with a pause. Terry had turned to move for the house, but she had been drawn into the tight embrace of the woman five inches shorter than her. It was so different, feeling her arms wrapped around her like this. The last time she had felt them -- she was thirteen years old and leaving on the bus to RhyDin'. To St. Mary's and a new life after the judge showed her leniency. Back then it had been Terry who only came up to her mothers collarbone, but now it had been completely different.

A moment shared with a tight embrace. It had been Terry who was forced to break it while her mother blanketed her with soft spoken gratitude.

"You ain't out it.. Take the wheel an' keep watch. If you see him? Gun it, I don't care. I can handle 'em. I'll call a taxi or somethin', real talk. Promise me, if you see him comin', you leave." Terry's words came with tug at the Subaru's door to open it wider.

"I'm not going to leave you with him..! It's okay, we can go now, let's go -- please."

Terry had already been on the move though, even with the sounds of her mothers pleas in the background. "You're gettin' yours, I ain't havin' you leave a house I paid for without your things. Jus' do what I said, get in the car an' keep your eyes open." Words spoken in a hurry. They might have sounded a little too harsh. But there was no time for any sort of apologies right now. They had their open window and they needed to take it.

Inside looked a mess. It seemed nothing had been cleaned from the night before. Broken plates littered the kitchen and walls of the hallway bore holes. Terry swept a look here and there, not at all familiar with her surroundings. One door opened, it had been the bathroom, another had been what could only be Mary's room. She saw what looked to be a rather large stuffed bear sitting on a rocking chair. Terry knew the brand, it was a cheap yet large plush that had usually been given a prizes in fairs. This one Terry knew well -- as it had been hers.

It was like seeing a blast from the past. But to know her little sister had it -- it gave Terry a strange feeling, a feeling of connectivity. The bear was grabbed and stuffed under her arm. There had been two doors remaining. Both opened. One, the one beside Mary's room, had most likely been a study. The safe at the corner of the room already opened and emptied. Terry passed this room by and entered the final one at the end of the hall.

The large room, the master bedroom. Two more luggage bags had been sitting next to the bed. Both heavy, but not enough to cause Terry much issue. She tipped them both and quickly escaped through the hall with both of the bags rolling behind her.

It was then that she heard it. The horn of the car. Twice, three times, four. Then came the yelling. Terry came out the door as the screech of tires met her ears. Her mother had listened to her.

She had escaped. But this left Terry to pick up the pieces of what had been left behind.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

If she wanted to say something, to try and reason with the man who now came barreling toward her, now would be the time.

But in the here and now? After everything that had happened? Talking was over.

Malice. Anger. Hate.

She really hated this man. The hate fueled her as he came in and she dropped luggage, bear, everything. Everything but the hate. Everything but the intent to finish what she should have that one night.

He played high school football. It was something brought up during court to highlight his more positive side. He was a homegrown quarterback turned police officer. Old age seemed to dull his movements, but they were still something not to scoff at. Terry knew if she got hit, with his size, she might not be able to escape from him. It's why she did what she was good at -- keep away. She'd step from the swing of that fist and drop her weight to step to the side.

A gut shot had been her answer to his clear miss. One, two -- two punches that sent the man crippling over, but not out just yet.

All the yelling. It seemed to have drawn the attention of the neighbors. It was the weekend after all. As minutes passed and Terry continued to dodge and weave, a slow crowd had begun to form. While she had been concentrating, she could not help but overhear the talk of the crowd. Some knew her as the crazy daughter who came and beat the man she now fought with a tire iron. Others? She heard the word Overlord in the crowd.

If they wanted to see the Overlord, they can look elsewhere. This wasn't a duel. This wasn't trading hits then resetting for the next round. This was something more real -- and like most real fights, they don't last until a bell is rung.

Another swing. Another miss. Her rabbit punches to keep the man at bay had launched here and there, but she could not keep it up. Not when a lawn gnome had been grasped and chucked her way. She stepped to the side, but it had been ill-fated with the way air rushed from her lungs as the shoulder of a tackle met her head on.

In an instant she had been taken to the grass. She did her best to guard her face from the flurry of anger most likely drunken laced pounding of fists that rained down upon her. On the ground she had little to no option, except when it came to one of the crowd finally doing the right thing and pulling him from her. Everything had been a slight blurr to Terry, but what she could see would be the two good Samaritans trying to defuse the situation.

Or at least until one ate a hook. Right after it seemed all hell broke loss as the two on one began. Not just two on one, but what Terry could hear was a rather irate girlfriend of one of the men egging it on while kicking the drunkard while he was down in the process.

Terry felt a grasp to her shoulders and a loss of balance. When she was forced to turn, she took in the image of an elderly woman looking upon her. "Are you okay?!" The woman said. Terry, who had still been trying to catch her breath, shook her head while sucking in and exhaling precious air.

"I.. I need to go, my mom." Terry began.

"Finally that son of a bitch is gettin' what's comin' to him.." She could hear from the right. A scrawny looking man, but not the only one airing his distaste of the whole situation. There had been many choice words going around while one of the good Samaritans kept the now groaning man down with a well placed knee to the back. "Did someone call the cops?!" he said.

With someone waved their phone and spoke up from the crowd to say she had done just that? Terry knew she needed to go.

"I need -- I need to go." Terry said while trying to leave the elderly woman's grasping hands. The woman tried to tell her to stay, to tell her she needed to get checked out. Terry had been wheezing some with each breath, so there had been some truth to the woman's words, but she couldn't stick around. Not like this.

Terry raised her arms, something which caused an ache in her side. She broke away from the others grasps and gave her a pained smile. "It's okay, I'm fine.. I'm fine, I need to go."

Recordings. Pictures. Cellphones had been out. Terry could see them -- it was obvious what was happening. But none of it mattered. She didn't care what the gossip outlets had to say. The sight of that man blubbering in pain had been enough for Terry. The urge to reach out with her foot and kick him had been there when she passed him by. But she didn't. Not with the sounds of sirens from down the street could be heard.

Terry reached for the bear first, then the luggage, but she hadn't been the only one. Another hand had taken hold of the second bag. It had been the man who took a punch for her -- she could see his cheek starting to swell.

"That's your taxi, right? Let's get you out of here. HEY, KEEP HIS *** DOWN!" He called out to his partner, who proceeded to drive his pressed knee even more into the back of his momentary prisoner of a woman beating drunk of a police officer. When Terry heard a rather sharp yell from the fallen man? She couldn't help but smirk.

There's some justice in this messed up world.
King
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Not Your Prince Charming

Post by King »

Monday. January 26, 2015 -- St. Mary's Catholic School for Girls

Ayo, when we're leavin' school what'd I say?

Terry had told her sister that first day of the returning school year.

I'm supposed to hold your hand.

That Monday, it wouldn't be Terry who held Mary's hand.

Terry looked from the Headmistresses' office window to see the sight of her smiling mother and little sister leaving the front gate of St. Mary's behind. Much of Sunday had been used to move the two of them into Terry's old apartment in Old Temple. While she would miss Mary's constant presence within the two story house, she knew it was better for the girl to be with her mother.

"You're sure you want to do this?" Headmistress, Sister Josephine spoke out. Her words drawing Terry's attention from the window.

"Yeah.. I think a lil' time off is good. I hear Beatrice is gettin' a little too old and will be retirin' her spot soon." Terry eased down into a chair, all while making sure she didn't put too much pressure on her right side. It had still been sore from the fight over the weekend.

"Oh?" Sister Josephine chuckled. "So you're looking to take the drama teacher position for yourself? Jackie's going to be disappointed. Between you and me, she's been talking you up a lot. I was so close to offering you a full time position.." The older woman smile then. "I always enjoyed watching you during the Winter festivals.. You always did make a handsome prince."

"I'm not your prince charmin', ma'am." Terry laughed, as did Sister Josephine. "I've been thinkin' back on what you told me a few years ago. That I needed to focus, think about my future.. I know my future is here," Terry said while pressing a finger to the Headmistresses' desk. "At St. Mary's. An' to do that, I need to set a good example. I need to go to college, I need to do this right."

"Sister Laura did say you did well on your tests. Far different from the Terry we knew last year." Sister Josephine said while fixing her reading glasses. In her hand had been the test results she spoke of.

"I have your word that you will be returning to St. Mary's once you're through?"

"I'd sell ya' my soul if it helped." Terry smiled.

Sister Josephine laughed once more while setting the test results down on her desk. Through smiling lips she replied, "Your soul belongs to God, Terry King."

"Then you got my word." Terry rose when she saw the Sister doing the same.

"Go break the news to Jackie and leave an old woman to sort out your mess.. Really, Terry King. Ever since you stepped foot into my school you've been nothing but trouble."

Terry tried her best not to smile. "I know, Headmistress. I'll try not to give ya' much of a headache when I come back."

Their meeting over. Terry turned and stepped toward the door. As she opened it and began to leave the office behind, she found herself stilled by Sister Josephines voice.

"Ms. King." she said. Terry turned side-face and looked her way. The Sister continued, "I'm proud of you."

".. You're gonna make me cry, Jesus.." Terry snorted back some. She could feel herself getting a little emotional.

The Headmistress wagged a finger. "What have I tell you about saying the lords name in vain like that?"

"That if I do it, be sure it ain't in ear shot of the other nuns." Terry said in reply.

"I still have my ruler, young lady." Sister Josephine said with a shooing motion of her hand.

"Goodnight, Headmistress." Terry's words came with another smile. She'd sniff back some and brush under her already wet eyes. The door to the head office closed behind her now. Another chapter in her life over so that the next could begin.

- End

Return to “Adventures in Wonderland”