Duelist and Referee Instructions

Random McChanse
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Duelist and Referee Instructions

Post by Random McChanse »

Duelists

First, make sure you review the rules in the original announcement.

The first round will run from 12:01 AM Sunday, July 29th, and finish Monday, August 6th, at 1:00 AM. The quarterfinals will begin on Sunday, August 5th, at 12:01 AM, and end the following Monday at 1:00 AM, etc. You may only duel matches in the current round; no skipping ahead.

You are in charge of contacting your opponent ASAP and determining a time when you can contest all three duels in your match. You may use your match thread to do this. It is strongly recommended to duel all three in one night, as not completing the match can cause one or both duelists to be DQ'd (see the original announcement for details). Be sure to commit to a block of time equal to a Bo3 title challenge, as even with a dedicated caller three duels can drag on for a while.

Duelists must post which discipline (DoS, DoF, DoM) they wish to duel first/second in the match thread before the match commences. The higher-seeded duelist picks the discipline for the first duel, and the lower-seeded picks the discipline for the second duel; the third duel will be the last remaining. The first discipline must be determined before the second discipline can be chosen.

All duels will be held in the FC Annex, unless technical difficulties or OOC circumstances force the duel to be relocated.

Since this is an unofficial tournament, you are allowed to use any person (or combination of persons) who has an RoH account and can access the FC Annex to call your match. If they are unexperienced in a particular discipline, point them to the latter half of this thread for instructions.

You may also duel at any time you and your opponent agree on. However, you must post what time you and your opponent have agreed to duel in your match thread, so that the public can watch the match if they so choose.

Referees

First off, thanks for helping me run this tournament! I really couldn't run the Duel Master without the interest and support of the community, especially those calling the matches.

Your primary job as a Referee to take the moves that each duelist sends you via FlashChat IM, determine what the result for the round is, and post the result and a short description of what happened that round in the Annex. You are also in charge of posting the announcement that the match has started in the match thread, and the play-by-play results and current score after each duel.

If you are unfamiliar with the matrix for DoS, DoF, or DoM, round checkers can be found at http://www.duelingzone.com/dz/tools/ (Javascript popups must be enabled).

Please try to call only one match at a time; calling three duels takes long enough without having to call multiple duels simultaneously.

For convenience, I ask that the following format be followed for calling Duel Master duels:
Ring <name of ring, preferably DM> <round #>: <description> (<higher-seeded duelist's move>/<lower-seeded duelist's move> <higher-seeded duelist's score>-<lower-seeded duelist's score> <name of leading duelist, if applicable>)
This way, when you post the play-by-play results at the end of a duel all you have to do is copy-paste each round from FC into the post.

Scoring, as explained in the original announcement, is simply the difference in scores at the end of duel. For example, if A fought B, the score would be as follows:
Swords: A .def. B 5-3. Score: A 2 B 0. Fists: B .def. A 5-2. Score: A 2 B 3. Magic: A .def. B 5-2.5. Score: A 4.5 B 3. A wins!
In summary, here is what you are required to do in a given match as a referee:

1) If the order of the disciplines has not yet been set in the match thread, remind the relevant duelists to choose their discipline. Also make sure the time of the duel is in the match thread.

2) Post in the match thread announcing the start of the duel.

3a) Call the first duel.

3b) At the end of the first duel, post the play-by-play results and the current score in the match thread.

4) Repeat 3a and 3b for the second and third duels.

5) Announce the winner at the end of the last results post.

That should be all you need to know to be a Duel Master referee. If you have any questions, PM or IM me.
Don't underestimate me, for when I'm working I'm super shiny and sit on a post.

And I walk on ceilings, so try to mess with that, fool.
Lem DeAngelo
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Lem DeAngelo »

I can call matches if anyone needs a referee.

Return to “Duel Master Archives”