Yule Seasons and Traditions

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

The Rigelian sun rose to a world further buried in snow. The light rays struck the crystalline water and radiated back a glistening scene replete with myriads of tiny rainbows. It was a beautiful morning. I opened the doors to the balcony and breathed in the chill air. Everything beyond the doors had been wrapped in soft puffs of white that glittered in the morning rays, and as I looked out over the city, I could see the harbor where my parents had met their fate. It was a lovely shade of blue water dropped into the center of white snow and boats that before long would be locked within the harbor as the cold settled over Festungsmauer. While the harbor itself would not freeze, the water beyond the breakers would, and large floating rafts of ice would pose a hazard to smaller craft.

Baumann met me at the foot of the stairs with hot tea and sent for my driver while I consumed that. The view of the harbor had altered my plans. I would go there first. The wreath of fresh flowers and greens had been delivered, but now I needed two. I would go out to where our yacht had been blown up and lay a wreath in the water there first. Kendrick may have stolen my parents, but he could never sully memories.

Carsten negotiated the streets down to the harbor, and I told him I would walk the remaining distance. There was a small boat used by the harbor authorities that would take me out to the breakwater. The Harbor Master gave me a surprised look, but agreed to take me out to drop the wreath, and it did not take him long to cast off from the moorings and slowly make our way across the smooth water. I stood inside the cabin due to the icy temperatures outside. As we got close to the original site of the explosion, I bade him slow the boat down and circle a moment. Memories flooded back to a child who had been standing onshore waving her parents off on a day cruise. Memories flooded out the vista of clear blue water on a fine winter day, and were replaced by the fireball, the flying debris, and then the smoke that rose from sun drenched waters as the yacht made its way through the break water into the open lake itself.

My hands were shaking as I clutched the evergreen wreath, decorated with white flowers and silver trim. I gave myself a mental shake before stepping out of the cabin and moving toward the bow of the small boat. Images of floating debris rose from the water beneath me. When I blinked in the bright light, the images faded and were gone. My heart had constricted within my chest as I tossed the wreath into the waiting water. As the wreath floated and settled a little deeper into the blue, I glanced toward the shore, where I had been all those years ago. I was seeing what my mother would have seen as she waved farewell to me.

I froze where I stood as a black limousine paused in the same spot Kendrick had paused to watch as my parents lives were snuffed out by his ruthless actions. The window was cracked open, but from here I could not see whose vehicle was there. This vehicle was unmarked, there were no heraldic devices visible on the car, and no way to identify the vehicle registration. A cold chill gripped me that had absolutely nothing to do with the air temperature. Kendrick could not risk returning to Rigel, not with the assassination of the Kaiser still clear in everyone’s mind, and the manhunt for him that continued to this very day. It could not be Kendrick, but he has friends. Powerful friends.

The Harbor Master nudged the small boat back toward shore, and I stood transfixed watching the black limousine. As the small craft bumped against the pier, the window slid closed and the car pulled into traffic and vanished onto the main drive that left the area. It was déjà vu I thanked the harbor master and quickly made my way to my own car, pausing to ask Carsten if he had seen the black car. He had not paid attention, and I now wished Eoin had come along. As I settled into the car, I contacted Baumann, and requested that he send Eoin to the cemetery to meet us. That cold chill remained in my bones despite the fur coat that wrapped completely around me.

We arrived at the cemetery, and the snow had not yet been removed from the road, but it was not so deep that we could not discern where to drive, and Carsten moved the car into the cemetery. The mausoleum rose before us as we drove up a slight incline and the road split to circle around a plot of ground that was isolated from the common areas. The structure is built of white orthoclase feldspar. It blended in with the snow and briefly appeared to be an extension of the white drifts that swirled around the foundation. The car rolled to a stop and I studied the locked and gated entrance for long moments. This was the first time I had come here since my parents had been interred so long ago. I had never wanted to come here, the pain was too great, and for a long time, I believed I did not need to come here to remember them.

The estate has paid to have the mausoleum cared for, the shrubs and grass trimmed, the structure kept maintained, and even to place flowers here for birthdays and special holidays. But I had not come personally. Now the wrought gates stared back at me, and above those, my family’s name has been engraved deeply into the stone, a reminder for eternity whose remains dwelt within. Carsten glanced into the mirror, waiting for me to decide whether or not I would be exiting and making my way through the snow to the gates of the stone edifice. From where I sat, I could see inside the glass doors to the orthoclase vaults, and the winged statue that watched over the silent space.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

As I moved, Carsten moved faster, exiting the driver’s seat and opening my door. The snow was deep and undisturbed here. No one had trod the path from the road to the doors of the mausoleum since the snow had begun to fall this winter, and cold white powder encased my legs nearly to the knees as I stood at the junction between the road and the walkway. Carsten went to the rear of the vehicle and obtained a second wreath from the boot, which I would hang upon the doors that have been locked and sealed for over 15 years. The wrought gates that closed over the glass doors remain sealed and as I pulled my glove off to allow my palm to be scanned, I peered inside. Everything is white with the exception of the names upon the vaults. I was about to violate the solitude and sanctuary of the dead.

The lock clicked open as my print was identified, and I swung the gates open with slow deliberation. A cold draft cut through my coat as I put the glove back on, and I shivered as I pushed open the latch on the glass doors. Neither the gates nor the doors hinges made a sound. They had been maintained well by the cemetery staff. Inside I went, dragging bits of snow with me into the interior. It was cold inside. The stone had taken on the temperature of the surrounding air, and while I was out of the wind, there was no respite from the deep, penetrating cold. Carsten brought in a cushion and placed it upon one of the stone benches, and I bade him return to the car. I am not certain how long I will remain here, and I do not wish for company of any kind.

I heard another vehicle pull up behind our car, and a quick glance confirmed that it was Eoin. I closed the glass doors and walked toward the winged statue that dominated the center of the mausoleum. There were white candles on either side of the sculpture, and I lit them. They would not provide a great deal of heat, but right now, something was better than nothing. The golden glow of the flames is more conducive to invitation than the stark white of the stone, which is as cold and uninviting as the snow outside. I looked around the room slowly. The cemetery staff had maintained the room free from leaves and dust. There were no cobwebs or other intrusions of insect life within the space. But it was too clean, too perfect. It was cold and dead as the two people who lay within the vaults. This place is the epitome of ‘lifeless’.

Why was I here? What did I hope to gain by coming to this cold stone building, which houses the unfeeling, dead remains of my parents? I moved toward the right side of the enclosure, where my father’s vault rested against the wall. Father was on the right as I walked through the doors, and mother was on the right, but above father’s tomb. There are two empty vaults along the left side of the room, but only one has a name engraved into the stone. My own name and my date of birth are engraved and gilded into the stone face. There is something troubling about staring at your own epitaph. Even though there is no date of death beneath my name, it still makes me distinctly uncomfortable or uneasy.

Azjah Telyria Danaan Caer
Markgraefin von Triberg

Born on the 17th day, 2nd month of the 54th year of the Reign of HRH Kaiser Joachim II
To the Grand Duke & Duchess von Hessia
Last edited by Azjah von Drachen Walde on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The stone workers had come and added my married name now, as well as my existing titles. The results are unnerving. At least they had not yet put Klinton’s name into the stone beneath my own tomb. That would have been overwhelming. And it would seem that I am not going to be blessed with the kind of union my parents had enjoyed. He may not even desire to rest here, and this close, well, it would seem he prefers his distance for now. At least so far, the auspices do not point in that direction of happiness that my parents shared.

I tried to put that image of my own mortality out of my mind as I turned to study the epitaphs of my parents. The finality of seeing that fateful day engraved and gilt in the stone brings tears to my eyes. Of their own volition, my fingers traced over my father’s name.

Tornach Eirik Velcon Danaan
Grand Duke von Hessia
Markgraf von Triberg
Baron von Drachen Walde

Born on the 18th day, 4th month of the 28th year of the Reign of HRH Kaiser Joachim II
Died on the 4th day, 7th month of the 14th year of the Reign of HRH Kaiser Joachim III

In Lehenstreue und Ergebenheit für Gott, Kaiser, und vaterland

The image of my father that resides upon the altar of this mausoleum shows a vibrant man in his early forties. Father was tall, and loved to be out of doors, and his tanned skin showed his love of sport and sun. The image was captured of him standing on the deck of the yacht in which he had died at the murdering hands of Kendrick Albrecht. He had loved his boat. Whenever he could manage time away from the affairs and demands of his holdings, he would be out on the water. I believe he loved the water even more than he loved flying.

Memories flooded in on me. The good times and the bad ones. Father had always seemed so self-assured, and he never appeared to falter, even when Drachen Walde fell into economic depression and the people there turned to him for their lives as the economy had collapsed. He steered the holding back into prosperity, and never gave a hint of indecision about his course of action. Then there were the travels and the adventures we had had together as I grew up, turning each trip into a lesson of learning and experience without ever becoming pedantic about it. He had always seen to it that my education was well rounded and included travel, history, politics, and diversity along with the usual studies my contemporaries were obligated to endure in ordinary classrooms.

But he had been slain in the prime of his life, with so many works begun but not finished. A man who had risen to the highest positions in Rigel without being a member of the Imperial blood. Killed by an egotistical b*st*rd who had not a sliver of his gifts for making the world a better place.

My anger rose sharply and painfully as that day replayed itself in my mind again for the second time today. The fireball erupting from the water’s surface, followed by the sound of the explosion echoing across the water as the yacht splintered into uncountable and unrecognizable pieces before my eyes.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I pulled my hand abruptly away from the cold stone, it felt as though I had just been burned, but that was not possible through my gloves and in the heart of winter. It is cold that rules here now, not heat. Fire only exists in the twin candle flames behind me. Still, my fingertips hurt, as though I had touched hot metal. There was no heat emanating from the stone, only bitter cold, which had permeated the stone and created this chilled space out of the wind.

Curling my fingers into my palm, my focus shifted to my mother’s vault. She had loved my father dearly, and even in death, that was something I could practically feel here amongst the cold stone. She had insisted that when the mausoleum was built that she would rest with my father, and not on the opposite wall, as so many of the peers had done. Theirs, while a match of political convenience had turned into something wonderful. It took me several long minutes before I could study her epitaph. As if reading it would make this tragedy too real all over again, but finally I lifted my eyes to her image and then her name.

Ozeana Arelea Baerwulf Danaan
Grand Duchess von Hessia
Markgraefin von Triberg

Born the 22nd day, 10th month of the 32nd year of the Reign of HRH Kaiser Joachim II
to the Earl & Countess of Hohenstein
Died the 4th day, 7th month of the 14th year of the Reign of HRH Kaiser Joachim III

I swallowed hard. Here was the one person in this whole cosmos who could help me understand and cope with what had just happened to our child, and to me, and she could no more talk to me than the stone that separates us. Just what was I doing here? What did I expect to find beyond this cold and dead space? I knew a moment of pure frustration that had no rational explanation. She should have been here, alive, and preparing to become a grandmother. Instead, she lay dead within these stones, as dead as the grandchild she would never know. I cannot remember when the tears began to slip down my cheeks, but they did, and I cannot tell you for whom they fell. Perhaps they were for us all.

There are only four vaults in this mausoleum, and my child would never come to rest on Rigel. Gabriel had seen to the burial on Auriga, deep within the land of the Carpathians rests a child none but he and I will know. There is no marker there on Auriga, no name given to the child who had died so soon after conception. To the rest of the universe, Klinton’s and my child never was. Only the loss and pain he and I share marks the passing of that young soul. Perhaps it is selfish of me to want to share this with my mother. Perhaps I am remiss in needing her comfort now. I studied her image as tears continued to slip down my cheeks. She had always been a warmer, more understanding person than I had been. Stronger too. I cannot help but wonder how she would have coped with such an event in her life.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Movement beyond the glass doors snapped me from my thoughts, and I turned to see Eoin approaching the door. He motioned for me to back away from the glass as he slid his right hand under his coat. I stepped back out of the visible areas from the glass doors, but there is only one way in or out from the mausoleum. In essence, I am trapped in a stone corner. Since I am always armed, I untied the coat to make access to the shoulder holster easier, but the cold instantly chilled me to the bone. The minutes ticked by as I waited in silence for a sign from Eoin that things were clear.

About 20 minutes passed before Eoin tapped on the glass, and I moved then to blow out the candles and meet him at the doors. A long black limousine had pulled to a halt just inside the cemetery, and from the description Eoin gave me, it seemed that it was the same car that had also been loitering at the harbor. Eoin wanted me out of the mausoleum and back at the house while he investigated who might be following me, and whether it was risk or something else that motivated my apparent stalker.

As the car slid through the streets of my hometown, my thoughts drift back to the mausoleum. Why was it so important to me that I finally go there? My parents cannot speak to me from the grave, and yet, in light of the death of my child, the need to be there seems almost irresistible. But it also makes no reasonable sense to sit there with the dead seeking…… seeking what? There in lay the crux of the problem. What am I seeking? And why do I seek it among the dead?

Gabriel’s words echoed in my thoughts then, “the dead know far more than we can in this life, do not mourn overly much.” The veil that separates the world of the living from the world of the dead is a cruel one indeed. The knowledge lost when that connection was severed cannot be calculated, and how many of the living suffer needlessly when a simple touch, a few words from someone on the other side, could ease the pain of the living. Gabriel had meant for me to understand that the reasons for my child’s death are known to her; even if I could never know the reasons. Mourning is alright, but must be moderated with understanding that I can never know what she knows about the reasons for the tragedy. At least not in this life may I have all of the answers I seek now.

The car pulled beneath the portico and Eoin got out first as I remained inside the protection offered by the vehicle. At his signal, I stepped from the car and entered the house. There had been no sign of the black car since the cemetery, but it is too much of a coincidence that it was in both locations today. Security would be tightened now that whoever was following me had tipped their hand so blatantly. And it is flagrant. If someone desired anonymity, they certainly would be more discreet, and yet, this person will not simply come and speak to me.

Baumann met me with hot tea and my daily planner. Tonight was the first in a series of social events that I cannot decline. As I pulled my gloves off, I glanced at my fingertips, which had felt burned in the mausoleum. They were unmarred, and yet the sensation of having been burned remained, although there were no other indicators of such damage. I left my coat and gloves with Baumann as I retreated upstairs to prepare for the evening.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Katarina was waiting for me, and had laid out several gowns for me to choose from. Since tonight was the opening salvo in a series of engagements, I decided to begin fairly simply and chose the cranberry silk that she had included in the choices. It was elegant, but not overly ornate, and is more in keeping with my somber mood. She began to put away the others as I settled into the hot bath she had drawn for me. I had time to savor this luxury and I intended to do just that. She had added a touch of ginger scent to the water, and as I closed my eyes and relaxed, the heat brought out the aroma and surrounded me in a cloud of ginger spice. I could hear Katarina moving about in my suite as I wished it were possible for me to remain here, in this sanctuary, but at length the water cooled and she would need time to attend to my hair and put the final touches on the gown for tonight’s dance.

Wrapping a robe about myself, I left the bath, which still held the hint of ginger to brave my lady’s maid. She is an absolute perfectionist, which is why she had found herself a place in Baumann’s staff. She chatted amiably as she set to work on my hair first. Once that was coiffed, she began to work on the makeup, understanding the vagaries of light and evening as she chose the perfect colors to compliment both my complexion and the gown I was to wear. Next came the selection of jewelry, and I glanced again at the gown, certainly gold would be preferable to platinum and so I chose a necklace of gold and tourmaline. The blending of the shades of pink and green in the tourmaline were set off nicely by the cranberry silk, and once that was chosen, the hair comb that matched was also taken from the jewelry chest. I would wear my wedding rings on my left hand, and the diamond and tourmaline emerald cut cocktail ring on the other hand. Earrings in diamond and tourmaline would complete the trimmings.

Finally it was time to head downstairs, and I was very surprised to see Dominik dressed in black silk tuxedo awaiting me at the bottom of the stairs. He spoke softly to Eoin and Baumann, neither of whom appeared to be surprised by his presence. At my appearance, he bowed formally to me, “Markgraefin, wuerden sie mir bitte die Ehre erweisen Sie heute abend begleiten zu duerfen?" His metallic green eyes seem a striking contrast to the black and white of his tuxedo, and silence reigned just a bit too long before Baumann gave a discreet cough and I nodded my assent to his request that he escort me this evening. I had not expected him to show himself plainly to the staff, but here he was, as visible to them as he was to me.

So the extra security has begun.

Carsten had the car waiting in the drive, and Baumann held my cloak as Eoin stepped outside first. Dominik offered me his arm as we stepped into the chill of the night and quickly entered the Maybach. This was the closest I had ever been to a Dragon Seeker, but I am certain neither Eoin nor Baumann know what he is. He settled into the seat behind the driver as custom required. Silence reigned for several minutes as we negotiated the streets toward the home of Herzog von Seenplatte. When we were about half way to the estate, I looked at Dominik, “Why have you decided to become visible?”

His brilliant green eyes practically glow in the darkness, and remind me very much of a cat in the night. “Ich bin mit den Entwicklungen von heute unbehaglich. Es ist einfacher, an Ihrer Seite, wenn zu bleiben ich sichtbar bin.“ He had adopted the official language of my homeworld in an effort to fit in and be less obtrusive. His Aurigan accent was less noticeable as well this way, although I believe he would stand out in any group or place, even among his own people.

“So you plan to remain at my side during the evening outings?” This would raise speculation among the Peerage. They will assume that Dominik is more than my escort with the absence of my husband. Although I suspect Dominik will maintain absolute formality and propriety in view of any who would wish to make him more than he is to me, and close enough to keep them all wondering. I wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it. My heart and soul belong to Klinton, where ever he is right now, and Dominik could no more desire me than I could him. Had I been his lifemate, he would have laid claim to me the moment he saw me, and while he and I know the truth, we will become the source for gossip and speculation. Yes, I was home.
Last edited by Azjah von Drachen Walde on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The car rolled into the entry of the estate belonging to the Herzog. His household staff has been liveried in uniforms befitting the season, in shades of red and gold and black points. As Carsten brought the car to a halt in the driveway, he gave a surreptitious glance about before opening the door for Dominik, who in turn sent out his thoughts in search of danger before opening my door. I shook my head at it all as I reached for his hand, which was properly gloved in white silk. We entered the foyer where our cloaks were taken as well as our names before we were escorted to the top of the stairs, which overlook a grand reception hall that is already well attended. The Major Domo announced our arrival and we descended the stairs to greet our host for the evening.

Herzog Seenplatte is slightly older than I am, and we attended the University together for 3 years. Time has treated him well, and his love of sport has helped him maintain a fit countenance. He inherited his father’s titles several years ago, and my impression of his ascension is positive. He and I have voted similarly when issues have been placed before the Peers, so for now, I count him an ally in the intensely dangerous footing we all must negotiate at Court. He took my arm as we greeted, which earned him a hard look from Dominik. We walked toward one of the doors that opened out into the gardens as he pulled me away from the crowds, his words were softly spoken, but Dominik heard every word despite his distance from where we stood. “There is word in the peerage that some of the Kaiser’s supporters are in danger. Watch yourself Azjah. You have already had one attempt on your life, and there have been, shall we say, ‘accidents’ that have plagued some others. It is but a matter of time before one of those accidents results in death.”

I looked up at him, and his expression told me he was sincere and the warning was meant as friendly advice and not as a threat. “Can you tell me who else has been targeted Algis?” It would help if I knew who else was at risk, and briefly I wondered if Kendrick was at the root of this, but quickly dismissed it, he had murdered the old Kaiser, he would not now target supporters of the new one. Algis quickly ran down the names of several of the Peers I would count as allies before he gave me a long, assessing look, “you have been targeted too, haven’t you?”

I thought about that for a minute. “I honestly cannot say Algis, but twice now I have been followed by someone who wants me to know of their presence. An unmarked black limousine, it followed me to the harbor, and it followed me to the cemetery. But who ever it is will not get out, nor will they approach me, so I do not know what they are after, and it is not the paparazzi.” Nothing overtly hostile had come of these encounters, but they are a bit unnerving. And these actions have in fact made Eoin and Dominik very suspicious. Algis was sought by one of his staff, and he pulled me close placing a chaste kiss atop my head as he whispered to me to be very careful. However, that innocent act resulted in a growl that echoed low and threateningly across the room, and brought many discussions to a halt as everyone felt the menace that briefly flashed through the halls and was gone the moment Algis released me. I glanced at Dominik, and his expression was one of darkest promise should Algis not behave more appropriately. He shook off the moment and promised to seek me for a dance later that evening. Dominik instantly moved to my side.

“Markgraefin, seine Warnung soll ernst genommen werden. Ich habe zwei andere Gespräche über diese 'Unfälle' gehört. Sie verlassen nicht das Haus ohne Eoin oder selbst. Zu Ihrer eigenen Sicherheit.“ His tone was laced with a ‚push’ to emphasize his point as he led me onto the dance floor and away from too curious ears. On the floor, it is harder for anyone to eavesdrop unless they have the hearing of a Carpathian, and here on Rigel, only those with technology at their hands could approximate the sensitivity of a Carpathian or an elf. But here it would be very difficult to arrange technology that would not be noticed unless Algis has something installed in his home for just such occasions.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The Herzog’s ball is well attended, and is the traditional opening of the Yule Season for the Peers. Protocol dictates who hosts which celebratory events in what order, with the culmination of Twelfth Night at the Palace, although this year, the Kaiser is holding more than one event at the palace. I am permitted foregoing hosting any social events this season after the loss of my child was made known to His Majesty. There are many reasons for my relief at not having to host such events. Klinton’s absence is the most conspicuous reason, but further reasons exist. I have been away and am uncertain about allies and opposites. These things can and do shift with the prevailing political breezes. It would seem that Algis and I remain allied for the time being. As for the other reasons, perhaps it is better that I not put voice to them.

Dominik remained at my side as we moved through the dances. Snippets of comments gave me an insight into friend and other, which would be helpful as the Season progresses. As midnight approached, the gala was drawn to a halt as the trumpeters called for attention. The Major Domo for the Herzog stood at the top of the stairs and announced the arrival of His Majesty, Kaiser Wolfgang and his Empress. This was a shock, and the Herzog moved quickly to the foot of the stairs, dropping to one knee as the Kaiser began his descent of the stairs.

The room remained silent as the Emperor reached the bottom and greeted the Herzog, raising him from his obeisance. Several of the Kaiser’s guards moved in to surround him as he remained near the stairs. No one would be permitted onto the stairs for as long as the Kaiser was in residence. The Herzog’s people were moved away from the entry as the Kaiser’s own people took position at the doors and the hallways at the top of the stairs. This is a surprising turn of events. For the Kaiser to attend events outside of the Palace is most unusual, and I glanced at Dominik, whispering for his ears only my surprise.

Dominik regarded the emperor a moment before offering me his arm. “We should greet him. Make your position in his corner clear for one and all to see.” His words were low for my ears alone, and such a move would certainly proclaim my position, which would have its own repercussions. But, I had been clear in my choice before I had left Rigel, so this would not be out of character for me. We approached, and I dropped His Majesty a deep, very formal curtsey as Dominik stepped back and bowed formally.

My move toward the Kaiser was the action that broke the silence and I was soon followed by the Peers in order of their positions at Court. Algis came quickly toward me, taking my arm from Dominik as he lead me out of earshot before thanking me for breaking the stunned silence of his guests. It was an awkward moment, and both Algis and His Majesty were grateful for the renewed festivities.

Algis ignored Dominik’s glower as he pulled me into an alcove, “why is he here? Have you any clue what brought this about?” He was clearly shaken by this turn of events, as I would have been had such a thing happened in my home. We spoke for a few moments, not daring to spend too long withdrawn from the crowd. Algis and I agreed, something had brought out the Kaiser, and with the ‘accidents’ that have been plaguing his loyal supporters, we both believe His Majesty is trying to lure the mastermind into making his move.

Algis then went to hover near the right hand of the Kaiser, after all, he is the host of the fete. I moved slowly with Dominik to take up a position to the left of his Empress, but not so overtly as Algis. Both of us believe the mastermind behind the ‘accidents’ is present, and will be present for all of the events. Now we must ferret out who is behind the threats to supporters of the Kaiser. Preferably before someone is seriously injured or slain.

The Kaiser departed as the clock struck one am, and the great hall erupted into the buzz of hundreds of people suddenly whispering and murmuring to their respective confidantes about what had just happened. As far as I can remember, the Kaiser had never joined any of the fetes outside of the Palace, and this marked a first. I heard several wonder if the Herzog had earned some special favor, or was he about to be appointed to a higher post. Supposition and guessing were rampant, and Dominik and I moved closer to Algis. He would need friends now, and I suspect he has moved up the list of pending ‘accidents’ with this night’s events. Dominik agreed.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The next 4 days were a blur of activity, and I had no time to return to the mausoleum. There had been two accidents that resulted in the hospitalization of Baronet von Ulm from a vehicle mishap, and a near miss at the Judicial Hall for Cardinal Roehm, where he had “taken a mis-step” and fallen down some of the stairs. The Cardinal was bruised during his fall; but not seriously injured from his ‘accident’ according to the reports that were released.

But that was just the beginning. The computer beeped insistently and when I looked up at the screen, there was an urgent message from Algis. The Arch Bishop had just been found dead in his quarters, and this time, it appeared that a sophisticated poison has been used, delivered in a regular envelope, and delivered by standard courier. All mail should be scanned before being opened, and preferably should be sealed inside an air tight container until it could be checked.

The Arch Bishop had married Klinton and I in forced circumstances, but I never could have held that against him. And certainly never wanted to see the old man meet his deity this way. Now there would be a vacancy to fill, and the services for tomorrow night would ordinarily have been led by the Arch Bishop. Now the Kaiser would either have to appoint a new Arch Bishop quickly, and risk angering the faithful, or the Bishops would have to decide who to elevate for the evening. Who ever was instigating these things was moving boldly and decisively as the Yule date moved closer.

The first night of the Kaiser’s fetes has arrived. Katarina has laid out the gown for tonight, she did not need to ask since there were 5 new gowns, all labeled for which night they would be needed. The Kaiser’s theme was Ice Crystals. I know the vast majority of women will be wearing white, and their complete lack of creativity will show. White gowns, silver lace, no matter that their coloring will be washed out and totally inappropriate for white.

The ritual began, Katarina arranging my hair, and doing the makeup. I could feel the platinum picks slide into the chignon, and the gentle pull as she attached the platinum snowflakes to dangle and dance as a snowflake in the breeze might. The gown is the shade of aqua that sea ice takes on as it floats in the north sea, wandering into the shipping lanes and becoming a navigation hazard. It is deepest and richest at my waist, and fades slowly toward my neck and hemline, just as that iceberg fades to white as the light penetrates more pronounced at the edges. The hemline is uneven and trimmed in sparkling crystals in dense snowflake patterns, and becoming less dense as the gown approaches the neckline. The off the shoulder wrap is platinum threads woven into white silk in a diaphanous confection that does not cover anything, but highlights beneath the shifting translucence of the green gown. It is reminiscent of the sea fog that often surrounds the ice fields.

Tonight’s jewelry has to be aquamarines and platinum. The necklace is an emerald cut aquamarine surrounded by several rows of diamonds all set in platinum. The bracelet is the same, as are the earrings. I paused to look into the mirror and was surprised to see the woman looking back at me. She is too thin, with eyes too large for her face, but the haunted shadows are lessening. Time heals all wounds, it appears that is so, at least on the outside.

Dominik waited below, and his black and white tuxedo was augmented with a charcoal silver grey cumber bund. His only concession to color was a stick pin and cuff links in aquamarine and platinum. Either the Dragon Seeker had guessed at my choice having heard the description of the gown, or he had heard me telling Katarina, and had produced what was needed on the spot. It is better not to ask Carpathian’s too many questions.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Baumann awaited us with the white fox cloak and we stepped into the night as Eoin opened the door for us. Our trip to the Palace was short and uneventful. In fact, we could have walked had it been less of a risk. From the front door of my home one can see the Palace gates at the Empress’ Gate. There are 6 main or public entrances to the Palace, and the Empress’ Gate is the second largest public entry to the grounds. It is well guarded and well lit, but with the events of these last days, Eoin would have had apoplexy if I had suggested that we simply walk. Besides, these next nights are about presentation.

Carsten drove us to the main gates, the Kaiser’s Grand Gate, and Dominik exited the car first. He lifted his head and surveyed the courtyard with an intensity I have never seen in him before. At length, he opened my door and I stepped into the courtyard. Cars were pulling in behind us, but a decent distance was being kept between cars by the Imperial Guards.

We entered the Palace and presented our invitation to the Major Domo, who took it and showed us to the stairs for introductions. The Kaiser and his Empress were at the head of the receiving line. We were announced to the Kaiser and other guests, and we moved then to take our places in the reception line. Dominik remained on high alert as the formalities were observed. Pockets of people who had already been through the receiving line were gathering together, and talk repeatedly touched on the death of the Arch Bishop.

I made my curtsey to the Kaiser and the Empress before turning to glance more carefully about the assembly. Algis moved through the crowed and with a glance at Dominik, pulled me toward the doors that opened out into the formal gardens of the Palace. Dominik followed as we found a quiet, protected corner. “You cannot dance tonight, stay off the center floor, and stick close to an exit.” His look was very intense, and I reached up to touch the label of his tuxedo. “Is this precautionary, or do you have inside information?” I wanted him to simply be precautionary, but he shook his head and whispered that he had information that an attempt would be made tonight on the Kaiser himself. I gave him a sharp look. That kind of information could only come from someone in on the plot.

Algis shook his head, “do not ask me.” He then escorted me back to Dominik, advising him to keep me close, and not too far from an exit, although Dominik had clearly heard everything the first time around. Algis left us to consider his words. Algis is loyal to the Kaiser, he would not be in on an attempt on his life, unless this attempt is meant to be unsuccessful and lure the real threat into the open. I frowned apparently as the Countess of Aalen paused, “for a celebration, you look very unhappy Marchioness.” She spoke to me, but her eyes were roving over Dominik with undisguised interest. She is clearly not someone I would care to trust with my true thoughts, and I smiled then, “it is nothing of importance Countess, and may I introduce Dominik Von Schreider.” Dominik gave her a formal bow and I had to hide a smile as he gave her a mental push to go away. We were left alone as I glanced about for Algis.

Dominik grabbed me a moment before I heard the unmistakable growl of weapons fire. We slipped through the doors into the garden patio as chaos erupted in the Palace ballroom. I could not see anything as Dominik kept me pressed between himself and the stone wall of the Palace, well away from the glass doors and out of sight of anyone on the inside. People ran in panic through the doors and into the gardens, seeking shelter from the weapons fire behind statuary and low walls. Dominik had chosen a spot that kept us hidden and we were far safer where we were than we would be if we sought more distance from the ballroom. Silence followed the chaos, but that did not last very long. The Palace Guards were quickly bringing order to the room. Algis stepped onto the patio and appeared to be looking for someone. Dominik reached out and touched his shoulder before making a shushing sign to him. Algis joined us in the shadows next to the walls. “The shooter was slain in the melee, but everyone will be questioned before allowed to depart for the night.”

I gave him a puzzled look, “Algis, tell me you are not involved in these events.” I don’t know if I expected him to honestly tell me if he were involved, but his expression told me he was not being entirely honest when he told me he was not involved in the ‘accidents.’ I took his arm and pulled him close despite Dominik’s low growl. “Algis, I refuse to believe you are on the wrong side.”

He gave me a sad smile and asked if he could come to my home on the morrow. When I nodded, he slipped away and Dominik and I returned to the ballroom. There were table cloths draped over two bodies, and weapons fire had marred the stairs and balustrade. The Kaiser was no where to be seen, but we were all assured he was unharmed. Our statements were taken and we quickly ascended the stairs and had the car brought for us.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Carsten brought the car under the portico and Dominik handed me into the car. His expression was one of deep concentration and as we left the Palace, he spoke softly so that Carsten could not hear. “I will see you home, and then I have something I need to investigate.” I lifted a brow at him, and asked if he was going to visit Algis. His metallic green gaze gave away nothing as he told me it would be better if I not know where he was going, nor whom he was seeing. I do not want to believe Algis is involved in these ‘accidents’.

Eoin met me at the house and Baumann brought me tea as Dominik faded into the night. I would contact Gabriel, and hope that I can be oblique enough not to rouse Kendrick 2.0’s interest and perhaps prevent his contacting his maker. Where ever Kendrick is hiding these days, I do not want him to know what is going on here. I sat down before the computer and glanced at a photograph of my father. He had always made things look clear and unmuddied by the intrigues of Court. His vision had always seemed so clear, and his actions were always done with certainty that I do not feel.

Gabriel’s image came into focus as he must have sensed I would try to reach him. We spoke of inane things for a bit, he told me about the Yule festivities, that was my opening to tell him about the events here, and I started with the unexpected appearance of the Kaiser at Algis’ opening ball. Gabriel’s brow lifted as he considered that, and then I told him that Algis had returned the favor by putting in an ‘unexpected’ appearance at the Kaiser’s first ball of the twelfth night festivities, an appearance that was not quite what anyone would have expected if my hunch was correct. Gabriel gave me a sharp glance, and I told him that the Kaiser’s ball was too similar to my last trip home with Klinton. At that point, he wanted to join me on Rigel, but I had the ship, and nothing in RhyDin would be coming this way as there are no diplomatic ties between Rigel and RhyDin. “Dominik has gone to investigate a hunch of his own Gabriel, I am in no more danger than I would be in RhyDin. And actually, it was RhyDin where I was shot, not here.” He did not seem appeased, but knew that with Dominik and Eoin, there is little more that can be done to safeguard me.

I broke the link to Gabriel and headed for my suite. There was little point in waiting for Dominik. He is a creature of the night, and as such, will not likely return until just before sunrise. But, I laid awake in my bed, my mind going over what Algis had and had not said. He had requested permission to come to my home tomorrow, and if he followed social etiquette, he would arrive around 11:00 AM. Sleep did not come for many hours as I considered possibilities.

I awoke to find a sealed envelope beside my bed resting atop the nightstand. It has been sealed with dark green wax, and pressed into it was the ring Domink wore on his right hand. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I broke the seal and read the flowing script. ‘Marchioness, my hunch has borne fruit, and you will not find disfavor with the Herzog when he visits. I will explain tonight some of the other findings. Your Servant Madam, Dominik Von Schreider.” I laid the envelope and parchment into the fire and watched it burn before preparing for Algis’ pending arrival.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Algis arrived promptly at 11:00 AM and Baumann showed him into the library, where I closed the door, against convention and propriety. He lifted a brow at my action, and I smiled, “do you worry for your reputation Algis?” He laughed with a rich baritone laugh before he rose and locked the door before answering, “No, if I were, I would not be as deeply involved as I am in these events.” He listened at the door a moment before returning to his chair across from my own. “Azjah, I need you to know that we have decided that events have gone too far, and it is time to flush the culprit or culprits from their lairs before someone dies. Toward that end, we have decided to try to flush them by this ‘attempt’ on the Kaiser. If they believe someone has exceeded their authority, perhaps we can get them to make a mistake and tip their hand.”

I sipped the steaming tea thoughtfully. “So you and your associates are in this with the Kaiser’s knowledge? Otherwise you risk a great deal.” I watched him closely for long minutes, wondering if Dominik had revealed his presence to Algis, or if he had remained beyond the visible spectrum, but decided not to ask, if he had been visited, he would tell me since Dominik has been my constant companion, and he would recognize him assuming Dominik made contact with him.

Algis gave me a wry smile. “You do not need to know who we are, but rest assured, the Kaiser knows well who we are, and is part of what happened at his ball last evening. He is worried about his loyal subjects being attacked as they have been. But today I have come to ask for your help tomorrow night at the final ball. Will you consider helping us?” His countenance was rigid and serious.

I curled both hands around the china cup as I studied him. Dominik had said I would not be discontented with Algis, but what would I be committing to if I agreed to help now? Especially given that he was reluctant to tell me who else was involved. “Algis, I would be a fool to walk into something this close to the throne without knowing far more than I do right now. You know I am loyal to Wolfgang, or else you would not ask me to help, but there is a great deal of risk involved, and I do need to know more than you have told me.”

He set his cup down with a smile, “You would be a fool not to demand more information, and yes, I know you support the Kaiser, for otherwise you would be on my suspect list. Azjah, all I am at liberty to tell you is this, the power struggle would be enough to destroy Rigel and all of her holdings if Wolfgang were to die in one of these attempts, or lose his support and influence in Court. If either of those things happened, we could be plunged into civil war as factions fight for control of Rigel. That is my motivation, and for the moment, I have to ask you to trust me, which is no small thing given our Peers.” He leaned back into the chair, the epitome of comfortable and giving no inkling of any concern or tension as he waited for my answer.

We remained cloistered for nearly 2 hours as Algis outlined my role in tomorrow night’s final gala. I also learned a great deal more about the ‘accidents’ that have been occurring to the Peers who are known to be loyal. And Algis made no mention of Dominik, so it appears he remained undisclosed to Algis last night.

Algis departed long after social convention dictated such a social engagement should have concluded, but Baumann made no comment, and while servants do talk, I have faith in his discretion. I sent for Eoin after the Herzog departed and gave him the status and my involvement in this endeavor. Eoin favored me with a disapproving look before he began to consider how to make my part of things look dangerous when in fact, I would be out of harm’s way.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The news media was full of reports from the attempted shooting of the Kaiser. There were headlines that sensationalized it, and headlines that did credit to the actual events of the evening. Speculation runs rampant in the city now, and it will not take much to push the populace into complete chaos. Fear and bizarre actions are resulting in huge demands on private security firms, which has resulted in some inexperienced “body guards” making matters worse. Some of these new raw recruits are well meaning, but others remind me of street thugs from RhyDin, or Lacerta. They have no discipline, and are apparently just spoiling for a fight. There are reports of gunfire several times a day, but usually it is from one of the inexperienced guards doing something utterly stupid for little or no provocation. Eoin thankfully has remained calm and level headed, as has Dominik. Dominik’s ability to sense the thoughts of those around us has kept the insanity far enough away so as not to be personally troubling, but if this continues, there will be needless deaths in the next days.

Preparations for the ball tonight have included some unusual steps. I cannot wear bulletproof clothing under the ball gowns, and that worries Dominik, but there is no point in fretting over what cannot be changed. In keeping with the theme of ice crystals, tonight’s gown for the final event is deep sapphire blue silk that is shot through with shimmering silver threads in an ever shifting glimmering fabric that clings and moves as though it has a life of its own. Tiny snowflakes dot the surface in a spiraling column from shoulder to floor. Eoin worked with some of the technology of Rigel and I am wired for sound in some most unusual ways. Nary a breath that I take will go unrecorded.

Katarina spent nearly 40 minutes working to get my hair up and when she at last slid the platinum picks into my hair, I gave a sigh of relief. Tension had me coiled tightly as she attached 3 star sapphires to the platinum hair picks. They dangled gracefully above my hair as I stare into the mirror. The clock downstairs chimed 8 PM, it was time to depart for the Palace.

Dominik met me at the bottom of the stairs, his metallic green eyes appear to glow they are such an intense color tonight, or perhaps it is the lighting, but the usual calm reserve most Carpathians exude is not so calm tonight. There is much at stake with the game we are all about to play. And in this game, lives will be forever changed, and if anything goes wrong, lives could be lost. The realm of cloak and dagger is more Kendrick’s arena. I have spent my adult life jousting with words and business deals, not with front line confrontations where blood could be spilled in an instant. Tonight I step into the shadowy world of assassination and subterfuge.

Dominik wore one of my shoulder holsters beneath his tuxedo jacket. I had provided him with two weapons. One is my favorite DE, the one I had laid on a table in the Duel of Swords for Tareth Thorn to see, and it is loaded with hollow point ammunition that is laced with silver just in case. It is a precaution I have adopted since living in RhyDin. Tonight Dominik wears it, although with his command of Carpathian skills, he may have no use for it. But he is also armed with a pulse energy weapon. Faster, more certain to kill what it hits, it is growing in use on many of the systems around Rigel. I find it an in-elegant weapon, but my preferences do not come into play tonight. Tonight is about being able to defend ourselves against the unknown but sure to happen attempt on either the Peers who support the Kaiser, or the Kaiser himself. The last night of the fetes and with everyone in attendance, this is simply too tempting an event for the orchestrator of past events to pass up. In one fell swoop, every Peer who supports the Kaiser could be eliminated. That is a frightening possibility.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Eoin preceded us out to the car, and opened my door as I stepped off the landing. Night has fallen and the stars are glittering overhead. We have an old gibbous moon tonight, which means we have a fair amount of moonlight on the snow, and there was a great deal of ambient light tonight. Shadows moved across the snow, and it will make watching the grounds at the Palace more difficult, although anyone prowling the grounds would be uneasy with the illumination. I checked my clutch for the specialty spheres that I have made for Mr. Thorn. If needed, they would be close.

Dominik sat down beside me, and Eoin closed the doors before taking a seat next to the driver. We would have one extra person in the group tonight, with Eoin and Dominik to flank my sides, although neither of them has voiced the concern, I have considered the possibility of our attacker using gas to disable a large group. In that event, we will have to trust in Dominik’s sensory acuity to get us out before we can be disabled. The ace we hold is that no one knows Dominik is Aurigan let alone Carpathian.

We entered the Palace ball room as before, awaiting our announcement before descending the stairs for the reception line. Eoin looked distinctly uncomfortable as he scanned the crowd, but I suspect it is more from the presence of so many Peers and not from anything he’s feeling as a threat. This last night of the 12th Night Celebrations is the most ostentatious. Tonight, the goal is to impress everyone in attendance, and the finery glitters at every movement of both the males and the females in attendance. This room is a veritable field day for anyone with a penchant for jewelry heists. I had to chuckle at my impression. Few here would consider that as a possibility, and I confess I never had before either, but life in RhyDin has altered my perception of the worlds I visit. We greeted the Prince first, and then the Empress. She took my hand and murmured her greetings and then very softly her condolences over the loss of my child and potential heir. She stopped short of inquiring about when we would try again, and I am thankful, as Klinton and I seem rather estranged at the moment with his disappearance and failure to return to the Palazzo even for the Yule season. Dominik offered me his arm as we moved toward the Kaiser, and gently covered my hand in a reassuring gesture. His expression clearly telling me he had heard her comments and knew how much pain I still suffer from that event. In moments like this, I feel especially badly for the Carpathian people and their life mate bonding. They cannot feel until they find their mates, and some of these males never do find the other half of their souls. It is tragic.

I made my curtsey to the Kaiser and he took my hand from Dominik’s arm as I rose. “You will enjoy the view from the second floor balcony Marchioness. I have arranged for you to have a private room tonight.” It is not uncommon for the Kaiser to grant special guests a place to get away from the press of crowds, but apparently Algis has told the Kaiser of my participation in tonight’s plans. A liveried servant stepped forward as the Kaiser instructed him to take me to the second floor and to help make me comfortable. We followed the servant to the side wall away from the gardens and a doorway that vanishes into the woodwork of the wall opened for him, and we ascended a set of stairs to the second floor. Another hidden doorway opened out onto the balcony where I had a view of the ball room, and the servant handed me an ornate key after opening a sitting room door that faced the grand stairway, where everyone who attended by invitation must cross.

Eoin immediately checked the room for listening devices and other electronic gadgets that would not be desirable. A soft knock sounded on the door and Dominik cracked the door open to find Algis standing outside. He was elegantly dressed tonight in formal black tuxedo, but the man was resplendent as he stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. “Good evening Marchioness. I see you have found your sanctuary here at the Palace for the evening. When you are ready, would you do me the honour of returning to the ball upon my arm?” He gave Dominik a quick glance, though it was not one seeking approval, it was more a challenge to the Dragon Seeker to deny his request.

I glanced between Dominik and Eoin before agreeing to be his companion for the return. It would free up Dominik and Eoin to remain aloof from the crowd and still watch over everything. All in all, it was the perfect solution for us to separate, and remain within sight of one another. We established our visual warning codes for one another before returning to the crowds below. From the balcony, there were none who appeared out of place in the crowd. There were no hints of violence or pending assault in the minds of those Dominik could read as we stepped onto the inlaid floor. Algis and I swept immediately onto the dance floor so at not to draw attention to ourselves, and to move and mingle freely with the crowd. Many a covert statement is made upon the dance floor where people do not think they can be heard, but with Carpathian hearing, such is not the case, and no electronic sensors can detect that ability. Unlike the enhancements some have implanted for augmented sensory perception.

Algis is a splendid dancer, but our attention remains on those around us rather than the enjoyment of the dancing as we all wait for the next move of the “Accident” maker. And we were not to be disappointed.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

As the Palace bell tower began to chime midnight, the attack that we had been expecting erupted. The explosive device went off as the third chime began, and obliterated the remaining bell peals as it echoed in the high ceilinged hall. Smoke followed the detonation and filled the hall with a dense, burning smoke as rapid fire shots from a semi-automatic weapon split the air. Chaos ensued, as Dominik found Algis and I and began to lead us out of the panic stricken crowd. We headed for the rear doors that led into the gardens. Many others made for the doors, but we used the little known exit near the beautiful glass doors. Everyone was making for the obvious exit, and they would be sitting ducks as they stepped into the gardens. Dominik halted us at the door, out of sight from whomever was firing into the crowded ballroom. “Someone is on the roof, and I sense an intention to shoot specific individuals, this must be a specialist sniper with a list of targets.”

The people blindly making their way to the gardens were unknown targets. The question was, who was on the list and who would be safe? And how did the sniper know which were his targets? Someone had to have conveyed that information to the sniper or snipers, but if they used clothing to mark their quarries, then the orchestrator was in the crowd, as we suspected. Algis peered around the corner before making his way toward the hidden stairs that we had used earlier. He was going to the roof, and so was I. I reached for my DE in Dominik’s holster and made to follow the Herzog.

Eoin grabbed my arm, pulling me back into the protection of the alcove where we had been standing. “You cannot go up there without body armor, let me go with the Herzog. You and Dominik remain here.”

I frowned, but he was right. There was an armed person or more up there, and I had no armor. Algis and Eoin did have protection from shots fired at a distance, but they would be vulnerable to high powered shots at close range. I handed the DE to Eoin reluctantly. “Keep Algis safe if you can.” And with that, Eoin vanished up the stairs hot on the Herzog’s heels.

Dominik’s metallic green eyes fairly glowed in the smokey air. “They arrived about an hour ago, at least that is when the first waves of murderous intent were released for me to pick up on. The one you introduced me to as Count Schaefer was wearing a wire, and reporting who was wearing what to someone on the other end of his communications devices. But, I do not get the impression that he is the mastermind for all of this. Someone else is pulling the strings.” He had moved to stand between me and the ball room, so that stone walls were at my back, but I kept looking over his shoulder toward the sound of the confusion and gun fire.

The chaos around us made it difficult to tell how much of the gunfire was inside, and how many shots were being fired into the fleeing crowd, but the sound of shattering glass drew both of our attention. The distinctive sound of a helicopter’s rotor beat the air and Dominik instantly grabbed my arm and made for the hidden doorway. A gas canister has been shot through the doors and was releasing a disabling gas cloud on those who had remained inside in hiding. There was no time to determine what the agent was, we only knew we had limited time to get out and hope it was not instantly toxic. We came out behind a series of tall hedges which were meticulously pruned, but dense enough to provide cover from the gardens and roof top.

The helicopter veered away from the Palace and made a fast departure toward the southeast. It was unmarked and bore no visible identifying call sign or insignia. Which is not surprising, but worth noting was that this is a new machine, and that it is outfitted with the latest technology which suggests ties to powerful, well-funded interests. It was clearly not a stolen machine, but tracking it to its current owners would prove to be challenging. The dark body faded into the night, and no beacons flashed to give away its location. Only the fading thump of the rotors gave away its general direction, and then those too were gone.

Dominik pulled a vial from his jacket pocket and looked at me inquiringly. It was time to begin my part of this charade. Since I am so publicly in the Kaiser’s corner, and was on the list found on the roof by Eoin and Algis, who had found the sniper climbing into the helicopter but had not been able to identify him. There had apparently only been one sniper, and all they found were 8 empty casings, and a list of names with brief descriptions of what they were wearing. As expected, my name had been on the list, right down to the sapphire and platinum hair picks. It was time to play my part in all of this.

The vial contained blood, my blood, and Dominik strategically drained the vial onto my skin and gown to simulate the blood from a successful shot, he also opened the skin to look more realistic, and I winced as his nails sliced into my flesh. The world would gain news of tonight’s events quickly, and we intended to make it look as though the sniper had hit me, but not finished the job. Algis slipped silently through the hidden doorway as Dominik put the final touches on our masquerade. Algis would carry me into the gardens and demand a private ambulance. From there, we would make it very public where I was being “cared for” and that my condition was grave. Now begins the tricky part, luring the killers out to finish their deed.

The gardens were awash in terrified people, blood, and smoke. Dominik relayed to me that 7 people were known dead at the moment. The mastermind of the plot should be happy with his results, certainly the death of 7 of tonight’s guests would be deemed a success. There were about 22 wounded from the initial gunfire and stampede out of the ballroom. Some of the injuries would likely result in further deaths, but the sniper had been very, very good.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”