No rest for the wicked

Twins with a shadowed past make their way in a world where they've never felt welcome by any save those who taught them what they know.

Moderators: Sylus Kurgen, Artemus Kurgen

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

No rest for the wicked

Post by Rhaine »

The room beyond the door was elegantly decorated much like a throne room. At the end sat a large black throne with three heads carved onto the high back and arms. The features of these faces resembled Topaz in a way. Faeries. Rhaine crossed her arms on her chest, a typical asmodean knight gesture.

"Now, that is getting me annoyed."

"Welcome to the heart asmodean," the voice was not unlike Art's in a way. But now it was irritating.

"What in the name of Nessus is this heart place? And how did it get into Tower of Earth? And who in the Hells are you, to play these riddle games?" with every question she was drawing on cold anger.

"The heart is linked with all places and none at the same time. For those who know to find it and these games are those that will see the dark mage locked back where he should have stayed."

"The dark mage?" she frowned. Well, someone like herself at least. Something more or less familiar. "What did set him free?"

"A youth with a fate beyond his mortal understanding. A youth who defies his place in the world and seeks to create his own destiny."

Been there, done that. She could hardly keep away a sarcastic comment. "So, where do we go from here? To lock up the mentioned mage and get Artemus out?"

"The book is the key, and the key is the book. The druid's past is where you must look."

So she was correct in her assumptions. Excellent. The book was the beginning of this menacing process... it has to be the end.

"Where's Artemus now?" Rhaine asked.

"The power of an ancient beast to him calls, it's secrets locked away in the most ancient of halls. Three drops of blood created the line, but the curse of vengeance bound his fate for all time."

Luckily she did overhear a few things about Chimaera. Artemus was nice enough to mention it to her. But the rhymes were giving her a headache.

"The Chimaera. What's the curse of vengeance? How did it originate?"

"Begun by blood, and by blood undone. Find the the second line with a mirror fate, friend and foe will become one."

"Second line with a mirror fate? Line of? Kurgen bloodline, Chimaera as dragon-menace... Mirror in which aspect? Friend and foe... Tass would fry me alive if I poke my nose into the Isles," she muttered to herself, browsing through potential solutions. It felt like a dumb quest game, something she could not tolerate for long. For she was one of those who carved their own destiny, who made mistakes and paid for them. And hated to be a part of a game.

"The time for questions has come and passed, seek the dragon who chronicles all and you'll know what to ask."

"Fine. If I'm to take part in this damn quest, let it be," she spat out the words angrily.

"Seek the the tent'd field where all began and the path of the dragon will be revealed on the hand."

The black throne faded from sight as thick shadows began to swallow up the room. A shaft of white light came to being directly behind the asmodean flickering like a portal. "He draws near, and the road is far what aid could be given has been handed o'er here. Find the king, find the wolf, and on his hand will reveal what you need."

You'll certainly pay for each moment of this interview, Artemus Kurgen, she cussed inside. But first I will get you out of there. Now... the wolf. Who has seen Sylus last?
Last edited by Rhaine on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I watched the twilight in my hideout. New fancy thing I enjoyed was stainless steel - rather an archaic alloy, but a steel cup looked good with black coffee. A cup, a fireplace with dark crimson fire (I couldn't get rid of this tint after the "visit" of my lord) and all of the time to myself.

Was it an illusion? What happened in the Tower of Earth? Was the mage that supposedly possessed Artemus playing with me? Or was it all real?

I would have sensed an illusion - probably. The illusions are not hard to distinguish, the magical pattern is obvious. However there are other ways to drive someone insane. Am I here, in my lair, or back in the Tower, imprisoned within my own mind? Was I over-confident when I thought that a dark mage can hardly alter my memory?

There is no answer. Do I need to accept the game and start looking for Sylus... Stop. Why Sylus? The book that began the madness, what would Sy know of it? The voice mentioned wolf, king and the dratted logging dragon in connection with "curse of vengeance". Why would I bother with chasing the solution for removing it? Find the book, investigate whatever is related to Art's past, and lock up the dark mage... if this is real, not some hallucination in my imprisoned mind.

But can I sit here and do nothing, when I know I can help Artemus? The shifter that has used me as living shield in Myr'khul temple - and who has risked his life to set me free from a deadly trap... I looked at a sphere of sparkling magical field, where an orchid levitated, preserved by magic and un-time.

Fine. Who'd have eye and memory for every event in the Arenas? And won't babble about my visit?

And when is the best time to go to Dojo Darelir?
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I'm usually not the one to whine "Why does that happen to me". Mainly because I know well enough WHY. Not that I'm never tempted to cry about the unfair destiny of being one of my kin... but would it be of any use? Whining has never helped anyone beside those who use pretty crying woman's face to gain assistance.

If it's true that Artemus is trapped, the curse of Bound is being redundant. In the beginning it was giving me much more nonstandard problems - repeating imprisonment as a way to deprive me of anyone who becomes dear is becoming a cliche.

I remembered the feeling of using blade circuit of one of our rituals to sense the one who would join me in battle, and the shock of finding naught but darkness and shadow behind the familiar shell. The pain of looking into the hellflame-colored eyes of Tenebris and seeing them... dead. Glassy and unfeeling, without the inner flame that enlivened his pale face. How I experimented first with using crystal affinity to craft a compass-stone, that led me to the cocoon where Tenebris was held - the crimson-black ellyptical mound among millions of larvae crawling along the shores of Styx. Does the story go in circles? I found him - for a few hours, until the Temple of Morrigu dragged him in... until I could do nothing but hammer my fists onto the glassy wall of the Halls, screaming out his name and realizing that there was no return...

Had I been more reserved... had I followed the recommendation of my colleagues to use "heartless intellect" behavior pattern... would Artemus be free now? Or whatever happened, was his own doing? His own reckless action? His own hunger for power?

Questions, questions... Too many "what if"s. A fortress in our own minds, restraint every moment and illusion of security... Security that is a trap. A tomb where my kin lock themselves.

(overheard in/inspired by "FORTRESS" in "End of All Days" by RAGE)
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

"What makes this guy so special that rather than challenge and see him booted out of power to make dealing with him easier, you're talking amongst yourselves and treating it like something unusual?"

The Druid's voice was ringing cold. What's so special... He IS special, more special than anyone in the Isle, Rhaine was tempted to say, but remained as reserved as always. She discussed peculiarities of interdimensional portals with Topaz, opened a rift to illustrate... Time was so sloooow....

When the faerie left, Rhaine abandoned the basic rift, and walked towards the shore. She needed a gust of wind, some noise of the waves... She needed some time alone. Where would the book be? It was not anywhere in the hideout. Would it be in the Kurgen Keep? Or in the Tower?

For a second she looked at the Tower of Earth, and blinding pain that had been curling inside her, sprang free. Art, where are you, how can I help you - she was about to scream. She walked towards the stairway, hardly noticing the path. Perhaps there would be a miracle and he's in the Tower?

She sat down on the stairs, leaning on heavy door that led into the Tower of Earth. All of a sudden a voice that sounded perfectly her own, broke off the haunting thoughts.

"You know returning to that place would be illogical."
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Near the rift stood a shape she would have seen in a mirror. A doppelganger? But it was shadow, shadow and shadow. Not a hint of dark crimson and green characteristic for true doppel's. A baatezu sent to make sure she's not forgetting her duty? But her responsibilities didn't require her presence at the moment, even more - she was truly successful in the last mission... Power and a new assignment is a reward for a job well done?

"Not always are we guided by logics," she answered aloud, walking down, towards the rift.

"There is something quite strange about a priestess of Asmodeus who cares for a being from a inferior religion."

She knew two magic users who would meddle with shadow magic. But Melgarth wouldn't play with such illusions. Artemus! It was a flicker of hope, faint but strengthening. Who else would play such silly jokes... But why would he?

"And when did religion placed first in the matters of caring for another?" she asked almost cheerfully.

"Since asmodeans do not generally care for anyone or anything that cannot serve their purposes," her own voice replied. Art... isn't it time to end the joke?

"Perhaps the correct assumption would be - caring for a being of that so-called inferior religion does serve some purpose?" she smiled, looking at her own image. "Art, quit playing with illusions, it may look funny for you but you know I can't see it the normal way."

"How can it when this being's problems seem to pull us away from what our Lord orders? Oh and how was the meeting at the castle? I slept most of the time some of the games were quite boring."

Do I actually speak like that? No wonder the Knights considered me a toxic bitch, she thought. "Sleep less," she answered, the toxin filling her voice.

"Oh...you don't like games?" the image turned in place. Yes, that was Artemus... but why was his image so flooded with shadow? "And it sounds as though someone needs a strong cup of coffee," his voice was so familiar... so missed...

"Definitely," she was at the bar already, pouring herself some coffee. "And I'm not in the mood for that game"

"Which game?" keeper's smile was a slightly amused one.

"I do not appreciate illusions. As well as interviews when I don't want them."

"Interviews you say? That must have been boring, they make you wear uncomfortable clothing or was it casual dress?"

But do you not remember what an interview is like? Did my memory not have a full set of them, did you not see them when we were linked?

"Interview isn't about the outside... it's about learning what's inside. We do dress up for the interviews traditionally though," she spoke reluctantly.
The priestess did not wish to believe her own eyes and ears.

"So, do you think your interviewer learned anything? Or just what's already known?" Artemus appeared curious.

"I don't think your attempt of interviewing me resulted in any valuable information exchange," her own smile was a bit unsure. Art?

"Me? I haven't seen you since you left for that meeting.." expression of slight confusion, so familiar and endearing.. "What purpose would I have for interviewing you, we both learned enough on the other during our linked period."

And that was unexpected. Did he not ask her before she left, to talk to him... Shifter's voice, so silky and convincing, rang in her ears. "Rhaine...I want to hear these memories from your own lips...hear how you felt as each event happened, what you were thinking at the time...." What could change from that time? Did he just lose interest? Was that a whim, a momentary weird wish? She put the cup down, and moved to hug him.

"I return from the meeting and hear weird news about you getting into shadowmagic again. Who knows how your studies would affect you..."

It was a touch of momentary, damp chill. The shadow around him was so thick, she shivered. Looking into his face, the priestess hardly repressed a scream. What happened... The change was just as drastic as the one during Art's initiation with the dark book!
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Shifter's arms wrapped around her to return the hug, a kiss placed atop her head. "I've been studying shadow magic since after the book. And I wouldn't make a joke at your expense over something you hate...when there are far more enjoyable ways to play with you."

"What happened to you, Art? I remember the traces shadow has left in you when you were a sort of initiated... did you undergo something similar?" she kept close to him, sensing the nuances of every touch.

"Nothing has happened to me, Rhaine. I'm the same as I've always been, sure there are a few spots in my memory where I can't remember what I did, but that's not uncommon. And I wasn't fully initiated, something happened during it that I still can't place, I passed the test, but at the same time..failed."

Good sneak-out, she thought. You never mentioned you were Artemus. So you neither lie nor confess anything... Are you Artemus? Or was Topaz and these voices in the Tower correct, you are something that possesses him?

"Perhaps it's some spot in your memory... responsible for the change so obvious? You're darker. I hardly recognized you".

"Perhaps this is for the best...I have a level of control now I had not previously... I'm still me".

He met that pale mist in her eyes leveling, face hovering inches abover her own. Any question asked, he used to slide off the subject.

"Nevermind. I'm probably too happy to see you," Rhaine finally sighed. The data she collected, was more than enough to confirm her suspicions. Now - where is the dratted book?

"You're probably the only person that is ever happy to see me aside from Amaris...and that is all I need. I could care less about how the others percieve my actions.." his arms tightened around her then holding her close.

"Quite natural. Why shouldn't I be happy to see the shifter I love.. though you seem so soaked in the the shadow that it hurts to look at you"

"I'm merely starting to enjoy the use of my powers, no longer practicing restraint, and I'm liking each moment of it. There are still moments where my memory is spotty, but those pass quick enough".

It was not too characteristic for Artemus, but again - yet another proof of strange influence. "I'm still curious about the effect of the book and that initiation... do you continue using it?" Her whisper was so soft near his ear... and her lips touched his neck gently.

"I have no reason to use the book..it was the key to my initiation and nothing more. I needed it to finish."

The book is the key, and the key is the book... The druid's past is where you must look...

"Oh... okay... Don't touch it again, will you? I fear for you, Art. You mean so much to me... "

"Fear not, for I am always by your side. Isn't that how the saying goes?"

"I hope you locked it safely in the Kurgen Keep," Rhaine used her best feline manner. Soft, silky, sneaky feline manner.

"It's in a far safer locale. One that is many miles away from everything. So you need not fear for the book, besides I can always burn it, not like it is much use to me."

I don't fear for the book, she sighed inside. But never allowed it to show.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Returning from the trip was the least of problems. Rhaine looked at Sylus' unconscious form. It would take a while for him to recover, probably a couple of days. But at least the wolf has been found, and she'd be disappointed in herself if she won't get any information out of him. And the book...

What could be essential in Art's past enough to link to current shadowy trouble? Her own ability with dark magic was mainly due to her priestly duties, Binding (and especially the recent visit to dead Halls) has taken too much. She was hoping to recover with time - yet did she have any time left? What would dealing with the book involve?

Who cares. The book was in her hands now. Rhaine hesitated a bit. She would need to analyze the scripts and spells, and make sure she does no mistakes. However a strange feeling was gnawing on her mind.

Why would she aid Artemus? A dhoine who would still die in fifteen years? A dhoine that is of no use to the Lord? So far she has been foolishly forgiving anything he has done to her - and he realized that well enough. Once he has gotten her into the way of Vanion's annihilation spell. Now only mentari technology saved her from imminent lethargy and eventual death in null-magic area. Not speaking about becoming an outcast among her colleagues for sparing his life. What would be next? And in place of Artemus is now an entity that deserves existence...
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Curiosity kills a cat, and I'm almost sure that it's a virus. Either it's always a part of me, or I caught it from Artemus.

When Teleperien told Errtu during the Diamond Quest that some rose is losing petals, and intrigued me. Naturally, I asked if I could see Arty's creation.

The elven castle smelled with elves and with suffocating, headache-filled presence. Valar. The emanation of these light-filled ones are a pain for a true asmodean. I followed the Queen into the portal, and first few seconds I was thinking how to cope with the presence that would have ruined even the nicest invitation to this place.

"The rose appeared without notice within my private tower," the elven queen said softly.

"Arty's trademark. He'd never ask anyone's permission," I smiled to myself.

She stopped at a door, hand on the handle. "Rhaine, I trust you will not speak of what you see. Not of the rose, but of the room it is kept."
"I do not have a habit of running around and forcing others to listen to unnecessary information," I could only shrug slightly. If my Lord wishes, he would simply take the information from my memory. And forcefully spreading around other's secrets... does she really consider me that dumb?

It was a well appointed library. books lined the walls except for a door to the right. Teleperien lit a candle for some reason, and drew a key. Aha, so it's behind that door.

"If Arty's creation bothers you so much, I guess it's odd enough... "
"it is odd indeed," the elf agreed. She led up a stair that followed a circular turret. At the top there was a small, circular room. One side of the room was full of shelves with jars, vials and other items used for work.
The table held a crystal globe, a bowl and a bell jar. Within there was a rose of perfect shape. On the bottom of the jar, on the marble plate, rested two petals. The queen stood back, as if allowing me to watch.

The only thing I could say was.. "Weird combination". The flower bore a distinct touch of Art's magic, unmasked, so damn unsecure! Plus some soulprint. Not Arty's. Unaware of my own move, I tried to touch these petals. Darkness and life. Two magic types that seldom combine - perhaps only in unbiased oddities like Bound.

"I would not expect such a combination of magic from Artemus," I spoke calmly.

"You can read this? I see it holds a power, but I am not familiar with it"

"It's hard for me to explain how I sense it.. "

Oh yes. It would be explaining rainbow to a blind. I don't see the normal spectrum, she doesn't see energy the way I do. And one thing is seeing, another - speaking of it without disclosing too much. She dislikes Artemus... why would I try to interpret what I see, and translate it into their terms?

"It would be a good idea to remove it from here. But not to give it to Artemus the way he is now," I said finally.

Such a magic print, given to Errtu, would mean a huge security breach. I'm not about to allow anything to threaten Artemus. We have Errtu, this is more than enough.

Elf's brows knit together.
"I didn't want to move it for fear of harming it or Artemus. Obviously you think otherwise. What power does it hold Rhaine? I will not repeat this to Artemus."

"It's not the case of keeping it a secret from him. It's a case of being understandable. When did it appear here?"

"About a year back, I had a period of madness. I was .. possessed by the thing that holds Artemus. I slept with a man I did not know, was a creation of the monster. Afterward.. the rose appeared." a fierce anger in elven eyes. "Artemus has never been welcome here since. Though he has appeared without notice or invitation. That's how it came here. I cannot tell you more. I told you more than I have even told my husband. Only the wizard knows this."

DAMN. I cussed in my mind. Artemus would get a serious bashing when we get him out. And a lecture on magical security.

"The magical frequency this rose has been created with, more reminds me of my old colleagues. And we're always ridiculously attentive to details," I remarked.

There was something from Artemus in the flower beside the signature in creation style. And I wasn't about to risk anything now. Artemus... I know I will have to leave him, he has Kitty, he needs someone mortal and sweet, not a cynical old biomage...there are gifts that should not be taken, for there's nothing worthy to give in return... But it's a drug, and I'm addicted. I cherish this addiction, like a drug user would sell his soul for another dosage of sweet oblivion. Aedd Ginwael. Shard of Ice.(*)

"I will trust you in this. Take the rose," Teleperien said suddenly.

And I left, carrying the fragile flower, encapsulated in my magic and the magical field that is my true self. The queen was nice enough to open the wards for me, so that I could simply warp out. And place the flower securily in the Temple of Asmodeus.

Errtu will not get it.

(*) Reference to Andzhei Sapkowski's "Blade of Destiny" (Geralt cycle, book 2)

Return to “Kurgen Keep”