Night time battles

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

Four roads lay before me.

Each one stunningly different from the next, and yet each with it's own charisma and appeal. Each one fed a different need, and fit a different place in my life.

Four roads.

The first road was the road of solitude. To walk into the future with just myself for company, and there is a part of me that finds contentment in that prospect. Given the long years of an elves life, and the shortness of human life, it seems less cruel to walk into the future without the pain associated with losing a loved one.

The second road would have my heart and soul made whole by returning to me my one true lifemate. Ulysses was returned from an abyss where I could not follow. But, there exists the potential that such could happen again, for Ulysses is made of the stuff of the stars, and his world is made up of overlays and alternate possibilities. Could I survive another parting such as the first one? The unbelievable joy of renewal I felt would be dashed again into unbelievable suffering should he depart again. Does the heart survive such torments?

The third road would have me remain with Sylus. He had captured my heart, but would never capture my soul. He reached a part of me that had been shredded and put it nearly whole again, and yet, my soul did not bind to his. It was a human kind of love, one that did not encompass the whole of my being.

The fourth road was the enigma. It is the road that is not illuminated, and bears unknowns as hidden as those of the Darkness itself. Khirsah. Here was a man as old as time itself who had reached across time and space to touch a soul I thought too riddled with holes to be salvagable. He touched that tattered soul and provided solace for it. He understood the influence of Annara where no one else did. Yet, here was an entity that would view the lives of elven kind as little more than a blip in his longevity.

Four different roads, and no two close enough to allow me to walk them both.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The Arena was silent as I entered, and found my way toward my sofa, but not long after, Dimitri squeezed through the doors in his dragon form. I greeted him and conjured a glass of Liquid Fire after casting the glamour. “Prithee, 'ow 're ye?”

He told me he was ‘ok’, but there was not much enthusiasm behind his words, and he curled up and dropped his head onto his forelegs. Something was troubling the young half elf, but he was disinclined to speak about it. As disinclined as I was to speak about what was preying upon my mind.

As we sat in companionable silence, there came the distinct sensation of being stared at, stared at by an unfriendly entity and a chill rippled down my spine, raising goose bumps on my arms and I looked about the room. The shadows in the corners of the room seemed darker, and more sinister.

Dimitri felt it too, and he growled into the shadows. “Dae ye feel ‘t tae?” I asked him. He stood up, unfurling his wings, and called out to whatever was lurking in the shadows.

A dragon rampant is enough to frighten most any beings, and a whisper reached for Dimitri, “I am fine here, thank you.” And Dimitri snapped at the air in the shadows. I set down my glass, prepared to summon my staff to me. Dimitri summoned the entity from the shadows again before sending a wave of flame into the darkness.

The image that formed briefly surprised me. Obsidion! There was a wicked, feral grin on the vampire’s features before he vanished into the cone of flames Dimitri had sent. His thin whisper threaded from the darkness, “at ease.” And Dimitri laid down once more. I frowned at that.

I then spoke to the darkened shadows, “Ah wouldst haff thou' ye'd be 'n th' Temple.” And then a strange image appeared in the Arena, sliding silently around the room, but I kept my focus on the vampire in the shadows. At length, he emerged a second time, still wearing the garb he’d worn the night of our battle. He too had been spending time healing, and I shuddered at the hole that remained in his chest, though it was smaller, it was still there showing his rotting insides and stinking. The view of his wounds caused me to pull my own damaged hands deeper into the sleeves of my robes.

Obsidion gave me the parody of a smile, “It is a pleasure to see you alive.”

Dimitri stood up abruptly and moved toward the vampire, “it was you!”

The vampire raised his index finger at the dragon, shaking it back and forth, “no, no sir. Don’t tempt me. Do not make me summon your master.”

I quirked a brow at him as Dimitri laid down again, growling at him, “you wouldn’t dare.”

“Vanion isst nae ‘is master Obsidion” then I frowned, “an’ Ah dae plan tae stay tha’ way,” as I let the vampire know I intended to stay alive.

Obsidion gave me a skeptical look, “don’t you all?” His eyes were dark as the abyss of death itself as he locked gaze with me. But his words were for Dimitri, “I would dare if you provoke me. Leave me be and I shall bring no harm to you.” But such a declaration from a creature such as Obsidion cannot be given any credence at all. And Dimitri left the Arena then, rather than deal with the potential threat Obsidion had made.

I gave the vampire a dark look, “Nay, we dinnae all haff such.”

He chuckled with the sound of dried leaves rustling down a lane, “There goes your guardian.” He advanced in my direction, and his intention were unclear, and even my telepathy could not discern what he was up to.

I shook my head, warily watching his approach, “Dimitri ist nae guardian, ye’d dae well tae learn aboot yer quarry first.”

He smirked, “that is why I am here.”

As Obsidion advanced toward me, the unfamiliar image intervened, placing itself between the vampire and myself. It turned toward Obsidion and tilted its head.

I kept my attention on the vampire, “Ah’d haff though’ ye’d be ‘n yer Temple servin’ Myr’Khul.”

Obsidion swiped a clawed hand at the image with an infuriated growl, “be gone!” But the image solidified and its hand stopped the clawed attack, holding fast to the vampire.

I glanced again at the image, “Ah dinnae ken whom ye mayst be sirrah, bu' be verra warra o' tha' one.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Obsidion’s progress was halted, and he stepped away after extricating himself from the image, then glared at me, “My ties with this Temple are loose at best.”

This was not good news, it meant he would not be bound by the laws of the Temple if he did not feel they fit his goals, “Sae ye didst nae come tae RhyDin tae serve Myr’Khul?”

The image remained between us, simply listening. I moved slightly closer to the image, partly for protection, and partly to protect it. Two against the vampire was better than one on one. The tension was broken when Imp poofed out of thin air and plopped on the couch, announcing, “Tha P’Imp has entered the building!” He then caught sight of me, “ALAIS!!!!!” as he flailed before poofing over to me for his traditional ‘huglickgrope’ “Hey babe! Where’s the rest of my womens????”

I kept my eyes on the vampire, “Ah dae thin’ they’re cookin’ ‘n sewin’”

Imp gave me an odd look, “They are not!”

Obsidion gave Imp a brief look, “If you mean boiling the flesh and crafting into garments to wear, perhaps.” Then he returned his gaze to me, “I have existed here for countless years, though, it does perk my interest.”

I whispered softly and brought my staff into my hands.

The image turned toward me, “care for a refreshment?” It’s voice was neither male nor female, but a bit of both, and I accepted his offer as an escape from the Vampire’s attention.

Imp liked the image conjured by Obsidion’s comment, and said so, but I turned to Imp, “Ye shouldst nae encourage tha’ one Imp.”

Imp gave me a puzzled look and scratched his head, “Who?” Then he spotted Nigh at the bar, “I want something too! A beer would be nice!”

I moved with Nigh to the bar, and spoke to Imp, “be verra careful o’ tha’ vampire, lest ye b’come Vampire feed.”

Obsidion appeared behind Imp, leaning over his shoulder, “She meant me.” Then he was gone.

Imp looked right, looked left, and lifted an eyebrow, “who tha’ vampe?” He then pointed at Obsidion, “You tha’ vamp?”

I chuckled, “Doth Mama Imp haff Vampire r’pellant?” Imp grinned and told me he was sure she did.

Obsidion bowed quite formally to Imp, “That I am.”

Nigh got the beer for Imp and made a drink he named “martini” and delivered both Imp’s beer and my drink as we watched Obsidion. He remained near me, without looking defensive, or even worried, it simply was there.

Obsidion gave Nigh a fanged smile, “I would like a drink also.”

I winced, but the image simply shook its head no, “You annoyed me, so no refreshment.”

The vampire laughed a grating sound, “then I will refresh myself.” And he stalked once more along a direct path toward me.

I took a hasty step backward as the image was once more between Obsidion and I It was then that I decided it might be safer to get into the ring with Anubis rather than remain outside the rings being hunted by Obsidion. Anubis spoke up then, “You! The one who put a falchion through my thigh and wounded me greatly at one point.”

I was almost thankful to Anubis at that point, and I thanked Nigh for his protection as I headed for a ring with Anubis.

Despite the lure of fresh blood, Obsidion continued toward me, his lips were unmoving as he spoke, “do not fret, you’ll feel nothing after a short time.”

I backed away from the vampire, “Sorra Obsidion, bu’ Ah dinnae wish tae feed yer lusts taenight.” Then turning to Anubis, I gave him a smile, “Sae tha’ Ah mayst stab ye again?”

Anubis, “Yes, whatever, you can try if you want.”

Nigh kept moving between Obsidion and I as I moved to the ring, and it spoke to the vampire, “be careful you just might meet the Rising Sun.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I summoned Morvinyon from oblivion, wincing as I wrapped my fingers around the wire bound hilt. I heard Obsidion urge Anubis to coat his blade with my blood, but the Egyptian didn’t need such urging. I locked my gaze on Anubis as he gave Obsidion a word of advice, “Don’t let your bloodlust get in the way of my goals again.”

Anubis rushed forward bringing twin daggers down in an x pattern and trapping my blade before sending his elbow shooting out toward my jaw, “I’ve spoken with the first of his kind, you ,know, the very first.”

The match with Anubis was brutal and painful as expected, his desire to cause pain and suffering had not abated and as he drove the serrated dagger deeply into my shoulder, I could feel my blood blossom into the charcoal robes. The strain of using Morvinyon was also telling as crimson began to color the hilt of my falchion. But as the high cut landed, I gave Anubis a bit of his own and slowly drew the long blade along the shoulder muscles, cutting deeply and stopping only at bone.

There came an animalistic howl of pain from him that sent shards of pain through my nerves.

Tasslehofl arrived as our match was coming to a close, and a small thanks was sent to Ceridwen for his arrival. The vampire would not take on such an experienced and powerful dragon.

I silently circled the periphery of the ring around Anubis as he reset for his next attack. I glanced up at Xeno’s appearance, and that momentary distraction cost me as Anubis slipped to the side, and then slid one of his wicked daggers into my abdomen, “Here’s where I should say it was an honor to duel an Overlady, but, well, I’ve held the mantle twice, so you should be honored to duel me.”

I was shocked at the unexpected dagger attack and dropped to my knees from the blow. My hands sank into the sand, leaving my raw and bleeding hands abraded by the sand as Xeno moved quickly toward me. “Alais?”

I pulled my hands from the sand, quickly pulling them into my robes before getting slowly to my feet. Obsidion smiled coldly at the final blow Anubis had left me with, and it was then that I saw Tasslehofl move down the stairs in my direction. What I did not see was Obsidion’s use of preternatural speed as he beat Xenograg to my ring, “Ah’m alrigh’” I told my old friend as the wards healed the damage. “Get thee back!” I told Obsidion, and Xenograg gave him an assessing look.

Just as I was about to step from the ring, there was a slash in the basement’s air, and Khirsah stepped through it, right next to the ring. Tass stopped as the Elder appeared, as though he would defer to Khirsah in this instance. Khirsah’s gaze met Xenogrags before he moved toward me. I glanced into his eyes before giving Tass a weak smile.

The vampire turned obsequious, “so, you are the ‘General’? A pleasure, I am certain.” He then bowed cordially as Xeno regarded him with an assessing gaze. Even Obsidion had heard of Xenograg, and seemed to think better of challenging such as he in so public a place.

I summoned my staff to my hand, quickly casting the glamour over them once more, “Dinnae worra aboot ‘im Xenograg.”

“No?” Xeno’s eyes did not stray from Obsidion as he adjusted his grip on the scabbard in his left hand. Then at length, he turned and returned Khirsah’s earlier nod of greeting.

Khirsah stood beside me then, “You look to be in need of a drink, Lady d’ Nitesong,” He neither moved nor glanced at the vampire, and then Tass curled his lip slightly at the Elder before turning and vanishing.

I gave Khirsah a quick look, “Ah’m nae used tae such tactics, though Ah shouldst ken such wi’ ‘im.” Anubis should not be a surprise.

Khirsah’s voice was barely a whisper, “He is one that has little to gain, and much to lose, so must strike out to continue to keep the delusion alive within his mind.”

I could feel it the moment the vampire left, and relaxed a bit, although Khirsah does not engender comfort in most people’s definition, I glanced up at him, “aye, wouldst ye care tae join me ‘n tha’ drink?”

“I will join you, but I doubt there will be a drink for me. I am sure the General will consent to such however.”

Xeno agreed to join us, but I gave Khirsah a puzzled look, “Why dae ye doubt there’ll be such fer thee?” While I had never seen him drink or eat anything, I was fairly certain he must ingest something to keep his life. But all he did was give me a small semblance of a smile as I curled up on my sofa and shivered. Xeno took a chair and spun it around, sitting facing the back of the chair and I thanked Xeno for his concern and help. “Anytime.” He told me.

I glanced at Khirsah as Xeno reached down with both hands and slide his scabbard into the belt suspender rings, “Has that vampire continued to come around you?”

I nodded, “aye” and he requested I keep him well apprised of this developing situation. I glanced once more at Khirsah, but he had drawn a tear in the air and was stepping through it, leaving Xeno and I sitting alone. I finished my drink, and told Xeno I was going home, and warned him to watch his back with Obsidion. He bade me take care, and touched my arm lightly as I dissipated into a shimmering column of silver.
Obsidion Slate
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Obsidion Slate »

"No, please! Stay away!" The guard pleaded for his life. Forced to crawling on his stomach after suffering a shattered leg. Still, the shadows drew closer. Steel flashed in an attempt to ward away the evil that approached.

"Scream louder so they can hear you." A hiss came from the darkness and soon Obsidion emerged. "Lure them to me." Those were the last words to leave his lips as he lunged forward on the fallen man. The cave acted as an amplifier and carried his screams over the valley.

He did not stop until all the precious blood was relieved from his artery. If they kept sending him sheep, he would be pleased to slaughter them all.

"This way, men!" The Sergeant rallied his remaining troops around the mouth of the cave. "The beast is trapped. We'll charge as one and vanquish our foe without prejudice." Broadsword was raised and slashed down at the order to advance.

It was reckless charge. Barely beyond the entrance of the cave they came eye to eye with their foe. Death came swiftly for one. His throat shredded by talons. Another fell, petrified by fear. One tried to turn tail and flee, but was grabbed by the collar. "Stay and fight or I'll kill you myself!" As the Sergeant turned he caught a brief glimpse of the Vampire before his world went black.

"Go, Lamb. Tell them what you have witnessed." Obsidion showed himself to the last man left standing. His gray flesh decorated with blood. A thin, bony finger extended and painted the image of an inverted cross on the man's forehead.

The man whimpered and scrambled to his feet after regaining control over his muscles. He ran as fast as he could, never once looking back. Still he felt eyes watching from all angles.

Three fresh bodies would expedite the Vampire's healing process, but from the damage sustained at the hands of Alais and Karen he would need more. This cave would become the perfect location to set up an ambush. Dragging the bodies behind him he journeyed deeper into the shadows to finish his feeding.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The mirror rippled, agitated by the images within.

A vampire tearing the throat from a soldier.

Blood splattered over rock walls.

The reverberations of violence trembled within the silver liquid as I watched Obsidion kill with wanton disregard.

I knew a cold anger as I watched but could not stop him. Obsidion would have to be dealt with, and soon.

Return to “Quiet Return”