Unexpected Meeting

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Unexpected Meeting

Post by Rhaine »

Still unrecovered from the Ritual, I entered the Isle. I was hoping to see Gabriel, verbal dueling with him always refreshes me. However my hopes were in vain - I sensed Lucien standing behind Azjah. And talking to the Marchioness was...

I knew he could have been a dhoine initially, but that time was long gone. My eyesight - distorted senses of a g'iarre - sensed him, and the image sent shivers over my skin. I have seen such a one a long, very long time ago... the last time I have seen my Shalafi, Lehroulinn. Opposite end of Spectrum. I have heard the man telling his name to Azjah. He notcied my surprise as I saw him, asked me if I was a magic user - but to those of opposite end my kin hardly give out the information. "In a way," I replied and watched his duel with my human acquaintance.

"Excuse me, might you be Morrin, shalafi of Alais de'Nitesong?" I spoke after the two finished dueling. Morrin glanced at me, and offered to join him. Well, perhaps he is also curious as to who would know Alais and to what extent. However he inquired why did I say I was a magic user "in a way". Explanation was easy - all of us are trained to supply half- truths. "I might be used to magic, and using it frequently, but right now I'm too drained to duel".

We spoke for a while, and I spent this time sensing the one who was my friend's shalafi. The dark archmage wondered what could make me spend so much energy, and in a few words I explained the reason. I doubt the magic behind the rituals of activation of any Temple differ much - at least the part of theory. Exact spells do differ, but the major trends are similar. Temporary linkage to plane of destination, be it Baator or Elysia, Dis or Nessus, Halls of Creation or Chaos Courts. Morrin seemed to be surprised. He probably never got time to study the activations the way my shalafi and I had. And never thought I would be someone to open such a connection.

To my disappointment, the dragons arrived. These two are my favorite annoyance - Tasselhofl and Khirsah, two mightiest of them. There could be just one reason for this, and my Crystal-trained intuition and logics pointed it out. Morrin. I turned to hearing. Most underestimate vampire ears, and I was using them full strength. As Khirsah and Tass talked to the dark archmage, I kept mental notes. Who knows what these two might plan... and I know how much we dislike each other. And who knows - how this can be used to the advantage of my Lord's forces, be it in His plans to interfere into Emerald Isles' events.
Last edited by Rhaine on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrin
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Morrin »

Years had passed.

Decades in fact since I had walked freely the streets of Rhydin, or anywhere else for that matter. I found the pull of magic in a portal that was clearly marked as the entry to the Twilight Island. A place dredged from memory when I saw it.

I found the Island devoid of activity, barring an official and two women. The rings were silent. The official informed me that if I could find a partner, the rings were available. The first woman, clearly a magic user, with black robes and snow white hair declined my invitation. She appeared pale and drained, and I found it curious that a mage would allow such a thing to happen to them, unless engaged in magic so potent as to leave no option. If she had been engaged in such use of magic, I would like to know more about it.

But, she was disinclined to speak to me, and I found myself in the ring with the other female. She did not have the aura of magic wielder about her. I cannot argue her skill given the outcome, but a magic user she is not once she leaves the Isle.

After the match, the black robed woman spoke, informing me that she was a magic user, but only in a way. The aura was unmistakable, and yet she demurred. Her surprise hearing my name was curious as well, and then she mentioned Alais.

My curiosity now aroused, I invited her to sit with me. She knew my student. How well? And why did she associate my name with her? Answers came to me, she inquired if I was Morrin, shalafi of Alais. She agreed to join me. She did tell me that Alais was not in Rhydin, which I know. Her news both protected Alais as well as informed. I liked this woman and her ability to inform without giving anything away.

There was a tension in the air after the roll of thunder, and the appearance of one I had not expected to find away from his home, where my own people now ravaged a land they should never have escaped into. My time would be short with this mage, shorter than even she might guess. I garnered her name, or the name she uses for public purposes. I did attempt to draw her into explaining her obvious state of depletion, but she was evasive, telling me she’d opened a channel to Baator. Such a thing would drain more than one mage, thus her links to magic are deeply rooted. She had opened the channel temporarily in order to activate a temple to one of the deities there.

She knew Alais had been to the Hells. Knew her well enough to know that, and that I had been her mentor and teacher. Did she know just how tied we were? That Alais would confide such things makes me wonder at the friendship there.

The arrival of another meant my time with the woman called Rhaine had come to an end. My purpose involved these two, and I made my good bye’s to her before moving with purpose toward the image of one, and the presence of the other.

Return to “Quiet Return”