Mischief

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

Erwyn
Adventurer
Adventurer
Princess of Eldicor

Michief

Post by Erwyn »

Erwyn flung the window of her apartment open. She leaned out peering over the snow laden land. Cold wind rubbed her cheeks and shook the strands of blonde held in a long braid down her back. A day of freedom! No lessons, no lectures.. and a friend to enjoy the day with.

“Please close that window. I don’t enjoy the cold as you do.”

Erwyn turn and looked at Amanda, daughter of Xenograg Bey.

“Ah, I forget. I am sorry.” Erwyn replied and quickly closed the window. Amanda stood in a dusky contrast to the fair hair and skin of Erwyn. Long glossy brown-black hair, wide brown eyes that were edged with gold and smooth olive toned skin. She was a little younger than Erwyn, but not by much. Their penchant for mischief bonded them together very quickly.

Erwyn jumped down from the window ledge and grasped Amanda’s hands and they twirled around in a circle giggling madly. The door opened and a loud throat clearing announced Constance. The sturdy woman marched in with two chamber maids, Rosie and Lucy carrying breakfast trays. The girls slowed, stilling giggling and staggered apart.

“Y’ should act th’ ladies y’ are.” Constance reprimanded. The girls exchanged looks and nodded demurely as they sat at the small table and started to eat. Constance continued her barrage of ‘you should’s’ interjected by directions to the chambermaids as they made the beds and took care of the chamber pots and other daily rituals. Finally the girls were helped into gowns and their hair unbraided, combed and dressed again in the customary long braids. Erwyn was impatient to be let loose in the castle. Her days of freedom were few and far between, so she wanted to get as much in as she could.

Hand in hand the girls bolted from the apartment.

It was a wonderful day.

They raided the castle pantry looking for sweets; they were chased out by Cook.

Hid in the broom closet and jumped out at Rosie scaring the poor maid so badly she swung her apron at the pair. They were promptly forgiven as they hugged Rosie and kissed her on the cheek.

Took flowers from vases, flanked Borin and stuck them in his thick beard. Being tolerant he only shook his head after the two vanished, removing the flowers. He kept one tucked in his braid however, badge of his attack.

Finally Constance having enough of this decided they needed to burn their energy outside.

In cloaks, scarves and mittens they trudged outside. The courtyard was blanketed with a foot of fresh snow, hardly tracked by the elven guard, stable hands and rangers.
Erwyn spread her arms and fell backward. She moved her arms and legs up and down as Amanda watched this behavior with wide eyes. Erwyn got up slowly, snow clinging to her back. “See, a snow angel. I learned how to do that in Navarra, Christie’s home land.” Erwyn explained. “Let me show you what else I learned.”

She scooped up a handful of snow and packed it into a small ball and heaved it at a passing ranger. To her dismay it was Brego, the eldest and Captain of the rangers. He was one of the few Erwyn was a little afraid of. Not he was unkind, just cantankerous.

“Lass, wha’ are y’ about?” He growled. But instead of scolding her he scooped up his own snowball and lodged it at the princess hitting her harmlessly on the cloak. She laughed with delight, another snowball was formed and she threw it at an astonished Amanda. One of the elven guard was hit (Erwyn proved to be an accurate volley).. soon a full blown snowball fight ensued.

Finally a truce was called, breathless and aglow with cold the girls wondered what they could do next.

“Let’s go to the stables.” Amanda suggested. So they did. Warm air and the pungent smell of horse, straw and horse dung met their noses at once. This is one place they did not inflict their terror. They loved horses and respected them. Finding their own horses they stroked their flanks and fed them wrinkled apples.

Growling stomachs reminded them of dinner. They moved carefully between the horses and Amanda stopped and pointed at a corner of the stables. “Look Erwyn, kitties.”
Erwyn
Adventurer
Adventurer
Princess of Eldicor

Post by Erwyn »

“Look Erwyn, kitties!”

The pair slowly approached the pile of ginger and white. A mother cat lay relaxed in the straw with four tiny balls of fur. She regarded the pair of girls with half moon eyes.

“Careful now..” It was Patrick, the youngest stable hand who was only a few years older than Erwyn; he had a head of curly red hair and a face of freckles. He smiled kindly at the girls and stroked the mother cat with two fingers. “Th’ babes have no’ opened their eyes.”

Erwyn leaned closer to examine the kittens. They were blindly finding the tits giving high pitched mews as they did so. She breathed, “They’re darling!”

“They are!” Amanda said leaning over like Erwyn. Amanda reached out a finger and gently stroked the nearest kitten. It started but afterward continued to search for the mother’s tits.

“Can I pick one up?” Erwyn asked looking at Patrick. The boy reached down picked one up and carefully put it in Erwyn’s hand and did the same thing for Amanda. For a few minutes they stroked the kittens then laid the tiny fur balls back with their mother.

Suddenly a head peered into the stables. It was Brego. “Lasses, yer bein’ called.”

“Thank you Brego.” Erwyn replied. Slowly they walked back into the castle talking about the kittens. Constance met them at the door; she was in a foul mood.

“Y’ must ha’ been called a dozen time. Come along y’ two, yer dinner is ready.” Erwyn tried to compose her face into a repentant look but it did not fool Constance. She continued to scold the two as they went to Erwyn’s apartment. Rose was there and rolled her eyes when she saw Erwyn and Amanda.

“Yer dinner is stone cold.”

To this Erwyn’s face retook its mischievous look again. She touched the plates and the meal was piping hot immediately.

“Does yer mother know tha’ ye are making magick?” Rose asked as if magick was prohibited.

“Of course.” Erwyn replied simply as the two sat to their meal. Constance and Rose exchanged skeptical looks and shook their heads. It was about this time Teleperien made an appearance. She stood tall in the doorway and listened placidly to the string of complaints given by Rose and Constance. The queen only gave a small smile, turned and walked away.

All stared after her.
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

I wandered around the palace awfully bored. I love exploring but I don't have anyone to play with. Sometimes I play with the maids children, but they don't understand me because I can't speak to them. Erwyn and Amanda are a lot of fun, but sometimes I can't keep up with them. It's very frusturating.

A maid found me and called me to dinner. I followed meekly and ate my food. They were searching for Erwyn and Amanda. I thought they might be at the stables, but it took them ages to figure that out. When they finally came to eat I was painting in a room near Erwyns. I heard them eating and I saw Tele come by and then leave again.

Utterly bored with my painting I cleaned up and walked over to Erwyns appartment. I knocked softly and then hearing the answer walked in timidly. Maybe they'd let me play with them?
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Erwyn
Adventurer
Adventurer
Princess of Eldicor

A Visit to the Village

Post by Erwyn »

The door behind Erwyn opened slowly. Little Mystic timidly walked in. Erwyn at once felt guilty. One thing she had done was not kept the small child company. Erwyn knew the loneliness Mystic felt, before Amanda’s company when she was not having lessons and Christie had a day off, she felt bored and lonely.

“Come in Mystic. Have you had dinner yet?”

The small child nodded and took the seat next to Erwyn. Amanda of course knew Mystic and smiled at her.

“Did you want to play?” Amanda asked kindly. Mystic answered with a smile and a nod. Of course both Amanda and Erwyn understood that Mystic didn’t talk for some reason and both Xenograg and Teleperien informed the older girls of this. So they never demanded a vocal answer. The girls made quick work of their dinner not wanting to waste more time.

When Constance left the room and Rose cleared away the plates, Erwyn whispered to the girls; “Want to go to the village? We can go to the sweets shop.”

Amanda looked a little worried. “Are you sure?”

“Aye.. I have a little gold we can spend.” Erwyn answered in a whisper. “Naught a thing will happen.”

Erwyn made sure no one was looking when she took a few gold coins from a small figure that she waved her hand over to unlock.

Mystic looked positively excited at this. So they wrapped themselves in cloaks and hurried out of the castle. Before they left however they took Mystic to see the baby kittens. They took their time cooing over them. The mother cat took all of this in stride and allowed the girls to pick up the kittens as she purred loudly.

Finally they decided to go to the village. Stealthily they tip toed to the gate. Erwyn quickly opened the gate and they slide out, the gate was left open because an elf bearing a sword appeared. Looking about the elf held the sword at ready.

“I hope you are right about this Erwyn.” Amanda whispered after the elf closed the gate.

“Nothing will happen.” Erwyn whispered back. She took Mystic’s small hand as they hurried down the hill toward the village.
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

I was very happy that Amanda and Erwyn invited me to play with them. They're the closest thing I've had to sisters and it made me feel special when they asked me to join them.

The kittens they showed me were very cute. I got to hold one, it was small and black with a little white spot. I didn't want to leave the kittens but Erwyn said we were going to the village for some sweets! I've never been in the village so I was giddy with excitment. Amanda seemed worried. I think she has the most sense but sometimes she doesn't like going on adventures.

We sneaked out the gate and I watched as an elf closed it. A small voice whispered the question 'how do we get back in?' but I ignored it. Erwyn is very smart, and she's a princess! They'll for sure let us back in. Erwyn took my hand and we hurried down. I jumped and skipped the whole way!

The village looked a little like the one back in Eszt'Zaar. I smelt fresh bread, and I saw kids my age playing in the snow. Part of me wanted to run and play with them but I knew I would be safer and happier with the older girls. As we were walking down a hill I got a great idea! I let go of Erwyn's hand, lay down on the ground, and rolled down the hill!

We rarely got snow in Eszt'Zaar so it was a lot of fun. When I finally stopped at the bottom I was covered in packed snow. I started brushing it off and only then felt a little cold and wet.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Erwyn
Adventurer
Adventurer
Princess of Eldicor

Post by Erwyn »

Once Mystic rolled to a stop and got up, she resembled a small snowman. Erwyn laughed and brushed her off then gave Mystic a hug. Erwyn could not say why but she sensed Mystic didn’t get many of those.

Careful to keep their hoods over their heads the girls stole their way into the many shops that were in Sawrey. They were enthralled with what they saw. Some things that Erwyn had never seen before; a bakery where Erwyn bought everyone buns, as they nibbled on these they went to a shop full of cloth, spun wool and flax, another was a cobbler who was busy making shoes and an apothecary stocked from floor to ceiling with herbs, spices and candles. Finally they made it to the sweets shop. Erwyn felt Mystic’s hand tremble with excitement. Barrels of dried fruit, peppermint balls, taffy, marzipan, and so on. Erwyn peered into every barrel to make her choices as did Amanda and Mystic. The shopkeeper hovered nearby to keep his eye on the girls. Hands full, Erwyn deposited the candies on the counter.

Amanda was distracted for a moment while Erwyn argued with the clerk.

“Whe’ did ye get so mach gold girl?” He asked roughly.

“It’s mine.” Erwyn replied. She did not expect this. Her gold was accepted gladly at the bakery, what was the problem here? The clerk glowered at her but slowly accepted gold. Erwyn turned with their purchase in hand and asked with a start.. “Where’s Mystic?”

The small girl was gone.

“Mystic?” Erwyn called out. Her heart pounded as she rushed out of the store. “MYSTIC!?”

Amanda appeared at her side and called for Mystic again. “MYSTIC?”
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

I had given my sweets to Erwyn so she could buy them. I saw some kids just outside the shop and decided to join them. I would be able to see Erwyn and Amanda. They, in turn, could see me. I was playing happily when a man came over to me. He was tall and muscular, but his eyes seemed dull. There were once a very fair blue.

"ALICIA! I've been looking all over for you!" Before I could protest he picked me up and took me away. "We've been worried sick Alicia. You've been a very naughty girl."

I couldn't scream, or call out because of the silent curse upon me, but I squirmed with all my might. Where was this man taking me?! I was going to get in so much trouble for this. He kept carrying me, and we were soon out of the village boundaries. This was awful! He took me into a little house and set me down. I heard a woman's footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Alicia? Is that you?" I soon saw a small lady of slight build. She had very blonde hair prominent brown eyes. Stooping down to examine me I saw a frown cross her features.

"Harold. You've brought the wrong child." I looked up at the man as the woman spoke. "This isn't Alicia. In your foolish blindness you've brought another families child." She stood up and looked at her husband with narrowed eyes. "Not only are we still missing Alicia, but some poor family is missing their little girl."

The man's jaw dropped. "I'm sorry, she just looks so much like our Alicia." He sat down and I saw he wasn't pleased about how things turned out. I, for my part, was very scared. It must've been at least an hour since he took me from the shop. I'm going to be in tons of trouble. I stood there looking lost and worried, the mother continued to lecture her husband.

Finally she noticed me and sighed. "Well, we've got to take her back to the village. And find our daughter." She pulled on her cloak and the three of us were soon heading back to the village. The two parents asked me various questions. None of which I could answer. The finally agreed I was either too scared or I had a speech impediment.

My concern was not communication, but finding my friends. Where were Erwyn and Amanda right now?
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Erwyn
Adventurer
Adventurer
Princess of Eldicor

Post by Erwyn »

“Let’s split up.” Erwyn suggested breathlessly. “She cannot be far.”

However, a surge of elven guards, headed by Gwindor himself, flanked by Borin, descended on the small village. Curious shoppers and shopkeepers pocked their heads out to get a better look. Hands were placed on the girl’s shoulders.

“We cannot find Mystic. She is missing.” Amanda said now close to tears. At once Gwindor sent guards in many directions looking for the small girl. Borin didn’t say anything but Erwyn knew that look. ‘Wait till we get to the castle.’ She knew she was in trouble.

A few tense minutes passed when guards appeared with a flustered man and woman with Mystic in tow. The woman seemed to be in a bad temper as she scolded what seemed to be her husband. “Of all girls you had to take one of the princesses.” But she stopped her tirade when she saw Erwyn (her hood down now) and Amanda. Mystic pulled away from husband’s hand and ran to Erwyn who had kneeled in the snow and opened her arms. At once Erwyn wrapped her arms about the girl. She couldn’t talk, but the tears on her face told how frightened she was.

“I’m sorry Mystic, I should have watched you better.” Erwyn said softly. She stood holding Mystic’s hand and looked at the couple who had been silenced by the castle guard’s presence. They bowed to Erwyn and Amanda.. the husband explained it had been a misunderstanding and that he mistook Mystic for his own daughter and they looked almost identical. Sure enough a small girl, Mystic’s size and age appeared, drawn by commotion in the village square. She did resemble Mystic very much. Alicia dashed to her parents and looked out shyly from behind her father.

“All is well. I can see you mean no harm.” Borin rumbled. He had the look of one worried but suddenly relieved of his burden. “Come, we will return to the castle.”

As the group of elven guard marched ahead and behind Borin, Erwyn, Amanda and Mystic, many villagers and shopkeepers were talking amongst themselves. “We actually had the princess in here? And her friends too?”

This event was talked about for many days. Erwyn had a sinking feeling she’d never be able to sneak out of the castle again. One, the guard would be doubly alert to this and second, everyone in the village knew who she was now. Once they all passed through the gate and out into courtyard Erwyn saw that Constance and Christy were waiting.

“What were y’ thinkin’?” Constance chided. “Ye’ could ha’ been kidnapped.”

They were marched into the castle and up into Erwyn’s apartments, Constance scolding them each step of the way. Borin followed silently.

“Where’s my mother?” Erwyn timidly asked.

“She is closeted at the moment with some person.” Borin rumbled. "She is unhappy with your escapade Erwyn. She has given me permission to hand out punishment."

Erwyn hung her head. “Please, do not punish Amanda and Mystic. I am to blame.”

“Nay, I hold Amanda equally responsible. However, I do not punish Mystic. She only followed your example.” Borin replied a little softer. “You are confined to your rooms and the rooms of your mother. You cannot go outside without guard, even it’s to visit the stables.”

The girls nodded and after Borin left, Erwyn burst out in tears. “I’m sorry, I am to blame.”
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by QueenTeleperien »

Of course Teleperien was made aware of the antics of the princesses. At first she felt a sharp jab of annoyance, but it melted away to amusement as she recalled her own escapades as she was growing up. The clan that raised her was much less formal than her life here but strict nonetheless. More than once she violated her father’s rules and followed her brother around like a little puppy, getting into scrapes and once finding the mead barrels and managed to get herself drunk in her 10th summer.

So Tele felt she had to say something to the girls. After all Amanda and Mystic were her charges. Mystic had come back to the castle as Xenograg and Amaltea were occupied and could not watch her adequately. This rubbed Tele the wrong way. Mystic had a bad habit of leaving without warning. It sent the castle into a panic and she accompanied guard into Rhydin to find the child. Turns out she went back to Xenograg and was well.

Now, the means that Mystic left was guarded by a ward that only Tele, Gwindor, Borin and Xenograg could open.

Knocking softly on Erwyn’s door she heard “Come in”. Pushing the door open she saw the subdued girls huddled together. It was obvious they had been weeping. The cold that was slowly surrounding her heart melted for the moment. Compassion replaced anger and she pulled up a chair and sat.

“I was told of your travels to the village.”

They nodded. Tele didn’t say anything for a moment, but continued after the pause.

“I understand how much you want to do things like other girls. Raiding pantries, trips to the village for sweets.” She nodded to the pile multicolored candies on the small table. “I longed for those treats as well. However, you cannot. Though our realm is protected by magick, there are still those who would do you harm. You saw how easily it was for Mystic to disappear. I am grateful that she was returned to us, but we cannot chance that again.”

Erwyn was crying again, but she was controlled. The tears slowly trickled down her face. Tele went to her and wrapped her arms around her and hugged her, then hugged Amanda and Mystic.

“Now, dry your eyes. We will speak no more of this. I agree with Borin on your punishment. Amanda, Mystic, I have sent word to your father on this matter. I will see him tonight and we will speak of it together. Of course, if he wishes to see you or take you with him, you will be allowed to go. Otherwise, you are to submit to Borin’s sentence.”

Tele smiled as she stood.

“Mother?” Erwyn said as she wiped her eyes with a hanky.

“Yes?”

“I love you.”

Tele’s heart further melted. It had been a long time since she heard those words. She went back to Erwyn, took her head in her hands and kissed her head and stroked her cheek. She did the same with Amanda and Mystic.

“I love all of you. Now, one thing I do allow you to do. Erwyn, you know where my garden is.” Erwyn nodded. “If you need a place to play, you can go there. Though the snow lays thick outside the castle, it is always warm, with flowers.. and faeries!”

With that Tele left. She went to her apartment, found her cloak and portal stone and left for the dueling arena.
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Strife

After making certain the girls had settled down for the evening, Teleperien decided to visit the arena and perhaps pick up a duel. She had returned to the sport not for gaining rank but to keep her sword play honed.

When she arrived she found several faces she recognized. Settled on a table near the rings she stopped Hubie as he hurried about with mugs of ale and ordered a scotch. She was glad her trip wasn’t wasted, she managed to get someone duel her.. In the middle of the duel Xenograg arrived in the arena. She nodded a greeting and quickly returned her attention to the duel. When she finished she exited the ring and headed to the bar for her scotch as well as tea for Xenograg, they both sat at a table near the wall, away from all the traffic in the arena. It afforded an excellent view to see who arrived or left. Once settled and the usual pleasantries exchanged Xenograg said to Tele; “I just learned of the trouble Amanda and Erwyn got into.”

She surveyed him serenely and simply replied, “Aye.”

“A pattern is apparent.” Xenograg said. This puzzled Tele.

“Indeed?” She asks with genuine curiosity. She sips her scotch and sets the glass down.

“Perhaps I should remove Amanda from Eldicor.”

“I see little need for that.” Tele replied. He had not threatened to remove her other two charges even after they had a bad habit of going to Rhydin without notice.

“Perhaps from the palace, then. I can rent a house. I do not wish to disturb your household.”

Tendrils of anger surrounded her heart and she felt her face harden.

“What are you implying?”

“That this started with Amanda’s arrival.” He replied.

For a moment Tele sat stunned at this. She gathered her wits and replied, her voice hard and cold. “Do you believe Erwyn has been a bad influence?”

“I am thinking the reverse, Tele. And I fully concur with Borin's punishments. It may even be too lenient.”

Tele studied him for a moment before she answered him. “Never have I objected offering my castle as a hostel for you and your family. When I was a girl, I was just as mischievous. Amanda has been little trouble. Also Mystic has been calmed and is doing well.” Her tone of voice was nonchalant. Xenograg however was not satisfied for a reason Tele didn’t understand.

“I do not want to abuse your hospitality. Since you are not concerned, I will let the matter drop. I have the additional one of Amanda and Mystic which I will deal with privately.”

Nettled, Tele replied; “Under my roof, I would know what is being done.” Her mouth set in a line.

“Amanda needs to understand she has a sister now.” He went on in spite of the anger on her face. “I am thinking of restricting Amanda's time with Erwyn, both as a punishment and simply in favor of Mystic.”

Now, he had touched a nerve. Never had he made this kind of statement to her before. She answers him in clipped voice, thumping her glass on the table.

“Mystic has been a difficult charge. She leaves when she wishes and leaves our household in uproar.”

“I did not see Mystic as more troublesome. I will see about minimizing that.”
“Mystic is a dear child, but that. A child. She has taken advantage of the hospitality. I have taken her back because of our friendship.” She almost snaps. The tension in Xenograg’s jaw was not wasted on Teleperien, but to her own surprise she did not care.

“I wish you had spoken of this soon, Tele. I had no idea of your displeasure.” He replies.

“It is not displeasure Xenograg, but she must learn as well that she cannot just leave. When I am given charge to protect her and Alias Anor, I cannot protect them if they disregard our limitations.” She presses onward, not caring if he was offended or not. “Now you are concerned? Now I have Amanda, you speak of lack of care?”

“Tele, I have never criticized your hospitality.” Xeno seemed confused, but it didn’t faze her he goes on; “Yes, I see. Forgive me for not seeing it immediately.”

Tele was now desirous of just leaving and had a mind to pack Amanda and Mystic back to the care of their father. She stood, the chair scrapping on the floor, Xeno stood with her. She grabbed her cloak and slung it on.

“Allow me to accompany you, my friend.”

Tele didn’t answer at once, but then nodded stiffly. Xenograg offered his arm, reluctantly she takes it. He attempts a smile, but Tele does not return it. She was too angry. He continues in a soft voice, “Let us clear the air away from this, I will reassure you.”

She studies him with steely grey eyes and nods and replies; “Very well.”
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Strife Continues

Silence lay between Xenograg and Teleperien during their trip to Dojo Darelir and then through the magic mirror into Sawrey. She turns to Xenograg and says stiffly, “Will you be staying or returning right away?”

Xenograg answers carefully, “We should not leave this.. situation unresolved.”

Tele studies him for a moment. “Very well, my study.” She sweeps past him, pushing the door open to the castle. It was dark and quiet with only a few lamps on the walls lit casting long deep shadows. Tele kept her focus straight ahead not even acknowledging the guards. When they reached the study, the elves on either side of the door straightened and opened the study door. “Thank you.” She murmurs. Almost at once a chambermaid appears to light the candles. “Please bring tea.” The girl exits and closes the door. She hears Xenograg take a deep breath.

“Tele…”

Now the chambermaid had left Tele turned to look at Xenograg, her face hardened with anger. Xenograg appears confused and even frustrated. Knowing Xenograg well, she knows he does not understand what she is angry with.

”What do you find so hard to believe?” She says. She sits and gestures to another chair. Xenograg sits, confusion etched on his face.

“That I am angry?”

“But at what? Whom?” Xenograg asks then suddenly stops speaking. Tele huffs in impatience.

“I am angry with you.” She finally replies. He blinks.

“Well, it is an answer.”

Tea had arrived, Tele waits until the maid left the room and the door closed.

“You have never been angry with me before, Tele.” He moves to the tray and pours tea in the cups. He hands one cup to Tele, who accepts it but sets it immediately on the table. She was too angry to enjoy the tea.

“Nay, I have had little reason to be angry. I have always felt I could trust you.

Xenograg looks up at her in surprise. “Felt; Why the past tense?”

Tele went on as if he didn’t ask a question. “I have played host to you and your family more than once. I have been roused more than once to tend to your wounds even when I was weak from Vanion's torture.” She takes a deep breath. “I have played host to your children, and you know has been treated as one of my own. I understand that you would speak to your daughters after their escapade to the village, to remove them is an insult to this castle and to me, when more than once I have had to worry about Mystic leaving, Alia Anor when she left for that Temple.

Again he answer with his usual politeness; “I...have misunderstood your mood, it seems.”

Teleperien goes on without acknowledging his reply. “Is this how you treat your family? Favoring one over the others?”

He seems stunned.

“My mood? My moods has little to do with this.” She says with a cold look. A wave of cold now flows through the room.

“I meant no slight to your guardianship, Tele. My girls are making that duty harder than it should be for you. I wish to make that right.” He stammers.

“You have been away on your wars, tracking lost dragons and fawning over everyone else except those who are loyal to you” She now is sounding hurt and in her heart she feels she knows she’s wrong, but her hurt was deep.

“Tele, how can you say such a thing?”

A smirk plays on her face. He is still without understanding.

“You have been first in loyalty to me, and I to you.” Xenograg replies. These continual polite comebacks made Tele impatient. She wanted him to defend himself. She presses further.

“You may take your daughters from this castle. I have little to say
in the matter.”

She could see he was taking another deep breath. “Little to say? You are the mistress of this house. I accepted that when I brought my family under its roof.”

Tele steeples her fingers as she answer coldly, “I am not ward of a prison.”

“No one said you were.” He replied, eyebrows knitting together. Tele wanted to cry. She wanted to cry out.. “You never asked how I was aside from the polite inquiries, how badly Vanion hurt me.” It was the elven stamina that saved her life. Yes, Xenograg headed the rescue party but it was Gwindor who remained at her side. It hurt to know he took little interest. Or so it appeared. She continued to lash out.

“You and your family may come... and go as they wish. I have never denied you that freedom. Yet, I am not without limits Xenograg”

“You have been a peerless host, Teleperien. No one could ask for better. It is I who should be accommodating you, not the reverse.”

Silence

“If I may return to the beginning?” He asked. Tele nods, her face emotionless.

“If Borin's pronouncements are sufficient for you, they are sufficient
for me. And I will speak to both girls about their responsibilities to their hostess, such as not teleporting to the City without a word. That is courtesy, if nothing else.”

“Going to the village without escort was not a serious transgression.
It was a simple childish act. If you feel you must speak to your daughters, you are right to do so. I am more concerned with their safety.”

“There is no one I trust more in that, my friend.” He replied.
“I feel Xenograg, that though I have acted in as best manner I could, the decision to remove Amanda and as you said yourself, in favor of Mystic before you even spoke to me about this I found insulting.”

She stands and goes to the window, a habit she had when she was troubled. Xenograg says to her. “Tele, there is something you may not be aware of. A reason I appear to treat the girls differently.”

She puts her hands behind her back..then answers “What is that?”

“Amanda can travel to Barsi and return. I cannot take Mystic there.
She must remain in Rhydin. I am more constrained in her care. Especially now with the Dojo...haunted.”

“How does this make it different? I have accepted your daughters travel with you, Mystic not as often.”

“Different in that I could punish Amanda by sending her back to Barsi. That is not an option with Mystic. I have not thought of constraining Amanda to Mystic's circumstances. I need your hospitality, Tele, for Mystic at the least. It is a great comfort to me.”

“I am queen, but not without feeling or limit. Take care Xenograg that
you do not take my patience for license.”

“When have I ever? Tele, we had a misunderstanding.”

“No, you made an assumption.” She snaps as she turns to look at Xenograg. An eyebrow raised in surprise.

“I was trying to show you I take my parental responsibilities seriously.”

“I have not seen you take an active interest before.” Came her cold reply.

“That is unkind.” Came his shocked response. Tele did not care. She only turned back to look out the window.

“Do you have any suggestions, my friend?” Oh, that maddening differential tone. Why does he not strike out?

“Nay, I leave the decision to you Xenograg. I will not interfere in what you think best.” This time her voice was gentler. It was less cold.

“Best is not changing anything. You are still willing, and I am grateful to leave it so.”

“I know Erwyn is fond of Amanda and they have a close bond.” She says.

“Yes.”

“I am glad they will stay.” She replies quietly. She was not mollified but she was tired. Xenograg turns and meets her eyes.

“So am I.” He says as he smiles. He pauses and glances around her face and blinks. Tele does not return the smile, her hands held tightly together. He asks, “Is there something else bothering you, Tele? You look as though something is still on your mind.”

“Only the entire realm of Eldicor.” She replies. This time she does have a small smile. But it was not the smile.. but the eyes. Her eyes no longer held the light of the Eldar.

to be continued

Return to “Dojo Darelir”