Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Caleb Feren
Adventurer
Adventurer
Assassin For Hire

Post by Caleb Feren »

It was hours before he was able to make it back to the Triberg house. He had dropped the shroud a few streets back, and willingly walked through the front gates of the estates seen. The wedding was over and done with, and they reception was likely finishing as well, if not done already.

It did not matter. He had done his job, had left the trail that led to the Earl for it too, and stuck a thorn in the Earl and Anne’s side by relieving the kids from them. And, for all the guards knew as he smiled politely and passed them into the house, he had gone to the wedding. He was dressed for it, after all.
Though you may run, you can never hide..
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Kendrick Albrecht »

Kendrick settled himself into his seat after making sure Anne was comfortable. The car pulled away from the reception and headed back to his house here in the city. He watched her as they rode wondering why he was so taken with the woman. She sat quietly, her hands folded in her lap and he wondered if he could get her to break the silence.

The phone next to him buzzed starting him out of his contemplation, "Yes?" he answered sharply.

The voice on the other side sounded scared, "Sir we've had an intruder. The man you had us looking for, Caleb Feren, he broke into the compund and there was a gunfight and quite a few of the guards are dead or wounded milord. He also kidnapped the children."

"He WHAT!? Are they safe?"

"Yes sir. We have received a report that they were released unharmed."

"Where?"

"He took them to House Triberg Milord."

"Ok...have the rest of the force called in and call the chief of guard, I want him in my office when I arrive." Kendrick forced himself to calmly put down the phone, "Driver, Triberg House."

"That didn't sound good." Anne muttered under her breath.

Kendrick turned to Anne, "It seems your friend Mr Feren thought involving your children in a gun battle would be safer than allowing them to remain in my protection"

Anne went stiff, "What?"

"They are safe," he hurried to assure her, "He delivered them to the Triberg house I'm taking you to them now."

"He did WHAT?" she was almost screaming now.

"He broke into my home and shot up half the security guards, people who had been with me for years," Kendrick almost growled, "he took them out...still killing and disappeared."

"He...that stupid...I can't believe it." she was oviously upset and angry but Kendrick could do nothing to help.

"I was going to allow you leave if you wished this evening but it seems that you would be safer with the Caers, at least until this matter between your friend and I is settled." Kendrick's voice was cold, "I promised to keep your children safe if you aided me and I failed, I apologize milady. I will see that this matter is settled with expediency."

"Settled? You mean until one of you kills the other." her voice was sarcastic.

"I would not like to be dead. Will your friend stop before I am?" He paused as if considering something, "If you request it and I can have him apprehended without killing him I will do so."

Anne sighed, "I request it, I don't want him dead in the slightest."

"yes milady, I owe you several debts this night. Your aid ended a direct threat to the prince's life, and my failure in the matter of you children is unforgivable"

"Forget it, Caleb's being an idiot and it's my fault he's acting such." She paused for a moment, "Could you just let me off a couple blocks from the house?"

"If you wish it. I would feel better if you allowed my men to accompany you at least."

"I just want to be alone, I don't want your men. Caleb won't hurt me, of that I'm sure. And if anyone else wants to kidnap me by all means they can go ahead and do it. I really just need some time to think."

Kendrick waited for a moment and then spoke to the driver again, "Driver, pull over here." The car pulled to a stop and Kendrick got out to help Anne. "I do not feel right leaving you like this."

Anne allowed him to help her out. She stood up and smoothed out her dress. "Why not? It's just a couple blocks, I'm sure I can find my way to the house. If...and that's a very big if...I get hurt I won't be blaming it on you but rather myself. I'm no longer your responsibilty, you don't have to worry about that anymore."

"Milady I don't see not worrying as a possibility." Kendrick struggled with himself, "Certain circumstances have driven me lately, if you would permit me I would like to see you again."

Anne pulled her coat closer, "I...well...see me again?" She sighed, "I need time to think. Good night Milord."

Kendrick took her hand and kissed it, "Goodnight milady."

Anne started to walk away but then turned back to him, "Oh gosh, I have to know this before I go." Kendrick waited confused at her sudden change, "Someone...someone told me that you were involved in the murder of Azjahs parents. Were you? If you truly think you owe me something, then you can pay it off by answering that. And answering it honestly." Anne tightened her grip on the bouqet of flowers Azjah had handed to her trying to gain some strength from them.

Kendrick said nothing for a moment. He remembered that night and he knew that once again his honor had destroyed any chance of there ever being anything else in his life. Know Your Duty. Hold Your Honor. He looked at her, memorizing her face, knowing this would be the last time they would meet. "Yes, it was a long time ago and again the circumstances drove me, but yes. Goodbye Anne." Kendrick turned and got back into the car.

Anne stood still for a moment, and then turned towards the house. Taking her cautious time she walked to the Triberg House. She didn't hear the car start until she was entering the gates.
Cara deWinters
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Cara deWinters »

She had returned from the festivities early, having grown tired of the pomp that always accompanied marriages of caliber. It had been simple enough to excuse herself, begging the Kaiser’s leave, as well as that of Klinton and Azjah’s.

The past few days had been draining, to say the least. There was the constant bickering that continued to rattle up and down the halls, then the scampering of the help as they tried desperately to continue their duties while simultaneously preparing for the upcoming events.

The coach pulled up to the front gate, and the doorman came about and opened the door. Stepping from the car, he nodded to the man, then to the guards, and made her way into the Triberg house.

After multiple servants had been turned away for various things, she finally made her way to her room. She opened the door and quickly stepped in, closing it behind her and then finally leaned back against it, allowing herself to finally relax. Now she remembered why she has chosen to take the King’s offering to leave Bethany.

She let out a heavy sigh, and then her breath caught. Something had fallen in her room. Slowly, she pushed herself off the door, and moved, as quietly as she could in the confounding dress, towards the source of the noise.

Her eyes widened and a soft gasp caught her. The noise stopped. There, on her bed, were two children.

Ms. Xile’s children.
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Kendrick sat in his office and looked at the scene in front of him and sighed. Less than an hour after he had seen Anne back to the Triberg house he was listening to the merchant who claimed someone had hired him using the Earl's own name to create a genetic poison for the Lord Caer. "...of course milord. I knew that an august person such as yourself would never stoop to such a dastardly de..."

"Actually you thought you might be able to make some money by blackmailing me but unfortunately for you I didn't do this...how did you put it...dastardly deed. Luckily for you however I'm going to give you a chance to do your civic duty. My people already have the video from your shop. Tell me is this the man you sold the poison to?" Kendrick activated the holo projector on his desk and the image of Caleb mid-massacre taken from his own security videos appeared.

The merchant hesitated for a moment, "Yes milord."

Kendrick hit another button and more data scrolled through the air, "And this would be the information concerning the poison you created?"

Quieter this time, "Yes milord."

Kendrick glanced behind the merchant to the representative from the Kaiser's guard who nodded once, "And because of your cooperation," Kendrick gave the merchant and intimidating glare, "Your CONTINUED cooperation, no charges will be pressed but you will be taken into custody until the suspect can be apprehended. Guard." One of Kendrick's guards took the merchant out of the room.

"I had my labs look at the poison he had made and compared it to the samples found on the Baron and Viscount who were found dead this evening. We're not sure but these poisons seem to have a similar base and my investigators are trying to discover if he had other merchants make those poisons for him. We hope to have some word soon.

"Here is a transcript and video record of the testimony given by Ms. Anne Xile to the Kaiser concerning the murder of Marica Hanover along with the forensic evidence and video footage of the fete showing the point when the dagger was lifted. The culprit is disguised but his size and build match that of the suspect."

"We have video of him kidnapping two children belonging to Ms Xile. They have since been recovered but we believe they were taken to intimidate Ms. Xile."

"We have also compiled forensic evidence linking the rash of murders that took place less than a week ago. There were obvious clues left at each of the scenes pointing to me though when the murders took place I was in conference with the Prince or here. Affidavits are all provided here swearing that I could not have committed these crimes, further more I have absolutely no motive to have done so."

"Finally we have video of the suspect accepting money to murder one of the peerage from a person who identifies himself as Mr. Silent. As of yet we have been unable to verify this but we're working on it. The account numbers were caught on the audio track, but we have so far been unable to trace the money, both of the suspects seem to be excellent at covering their tracks."

"Add all this to the fact that Caleb is an infamous assassin who is more than capable of any of these acts and he has a particular dislike for me so he is trying to link me to his crimes. This gives you abilty, motive, and opportunity along with a large chunk of damning evidence which is all here on these data cubes. So Captain Hershal, is there anything else I can do for the Kaiser's Guard?"

"No Lord Albrecht, we will need to verify this but it all seems to be in order. We have doubled patrols in the area and have a citywide manhunt underway. You have a good evening milord." The captain left taking the merchant into custody on his way out.

Kendrick looked to his aide, "I want both my thief catchers tracking him down. I want Feren caught, he should be alive but I'm not picky on how many pieces he's in. Oh and post a reward of two hundred thousand gold crowns for his capture."

"Yes milord." The aide bowed and left Kendrick alone.

Kendrick quickly transmitted the files to the Prince and a few moments later to a contact who would ensure the press received it. He quickly covered his tracks making the computer logs look like the files had been sent by one of his house guards he had identified as a spy for another House. No need to waste a good opportunity. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, one more task. He picked up the phone and dialed quickly, "Lady Caer, concerning our conversation earlier, I have a name for you. Caleb Feren. He is using some sort of genetically coded poison, the files have been sent to you and the Kaiser's guard but they have yet to detain him. Goodnight Marchioness."

Kendrick leaned back in his chair. World wide press coverage, a military manhunt, and an obscene reward for his capture and he realized that Caleb Feren would probably escape. He had to admit the man was talented. Perhaps other measures would be necessary, he might be able to arrange something.
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Waiting

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Home! Well, back to Triberg House at any rate. We had a house full of people, but I would have given most anything to have some privacy. Something I know we can never have. There was still tension between Klinton and I, but he's told me that he does still love me, and yet there seems so much to work through.

It was the late afternoon, and Baumann met us with the House staff with flowers and well wishes. We had to go through the introductions to the staff, formally recognizing Klinton as the new Marquess of Triberg. He would now be the ultimate authority and part of me chafes at that. This has been my home for so long, but now there is a new master.

Baumann pulled me aside after all of the fan fare subsided. It seems Anne's children had arrived! Duchess De Winters had them with her. I had not known that Anne had requested the presence of her children. Additionally there was a private message for me on the computer, one from the Earl of Tuebingen.

Stranger still. What could the Earl want that he could not have said at the reception?

Taking my leave, I went upstairs. I was considering changing out of my wedding dress, but deliberated. It should be the prevue of my new husband, and not my discretion.

I went to refresh my makeup, adding a bit of lip gloss while I waited.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Klinton Caer
Adventurer
Adventurer

Kiss of Death???

Post by Klinton Caer »

I knocked quietly on Azjah's door. She had taken her leave of the company a few minutes earlier, and I decided to join her now. I stepped behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist.

"Is everything ok?"

She started her answer. "Yes....well...not really. So much has happened. I didn't know Anne had sent for her children, and yet they are here with Cara. Caleb's still gone. You and I fighting at the last minute." She sighed softly. "That warning from Kendrick making no sense. The Prince pulling you aside. I'm just feeling a bit out of sorts I suppose."

I held her tight. I knew this was hard for her. "Azjah, I get the feeling Anne might not have sent for her kids."

She was continuing her previous thought. "I love you dearly Klint, but, I think that.....Wait....Who did?"

He cut her off this time. "But you think what Azjah?"

"I think I'm struggling with giving up the reigns."

I smiled slightly at her. This was harder on her than I thought. I squeezed her again. I tried to reassure her that I was not going to push her out of the picture. She would have as big a role as she ever did, because I certainly didn't know what I was doing.

She caressed my cheek. "But to all of them....to all of Rigel, I am now only here to be on your arm and to give you heirs."

I shook my head. "Do you know WHY the Prince sought me out today?"

"I'm dying to hear it."

I smiled. "He just welcomed me. He warned me that the peerage could sometimes be dangerous. He said I should be careful. He said it was a wise decision to support him, and that he appreciated that."

I again voiced my reassurance for her, and the fact that she was still very important to me and to Rigel.

She pressed the issue with Anne. "Why do you think she didn't send for her kids?"

I moved to the bed, sitting down, Azjah hands in mine. "We spoke while we were dancing. She couldn't tell me much. She thought she may be bugged." Azjah moved, nestling in next to me. "She said she hadn't been harmed, but she had been threatened."

Azjah made a curious face. "Threatened? How would Kendrick have known where to go for them?" She thought for a moment. "He's not stupid. He's got to have spies in many places. Could he have had spies in Rhydin all these years? That's how he knows about her children?"

"I thanked her for telling me not to trust him."

"He DID kill my parents. I know it in here. " She moved her hands to her heart. "I just can't prove it. We need to get Anne away from him."

"I know. I just don't know how."

"We should be able to keep her children safe here."

"Anne said he had been a perfect gentleman. He never harmed her at all. Just threats."

"Oh, Kendrick's smooth, polished, and dangerous as a snake."

I nodded. Azjah asked if we could leave right after the investiture. I told her the sooner the better.

I apologized for being so stupid about our argument. And she just shushed me. I moved to kiss her, and suddenly Lucien's hand appeared between us.

"WHAT THE HELL! Azjah...did you see him here?"

"I just arrived Klinton. And it's a good thing. The scent of one of those poisons used on the other two is all over you Marchioness. Let me look around, but the smell is on you, and the transmission was through the mouth for the other two."

I was dumbstruck. Azjah was terrified. She jumped off my lap and ran to the bathroom, following Lucien. I followed as well.

Azjah picked up her lip gloss, handing it to Lucien. He investigated it carefully, placed it in his pocket, and apologized for the intrusion. "Remove all traces of that from your lips, and you will be fine."

He had disappeared, but I thanked him. I knew he could hear.
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Kendrick watched the computer screen as the newscasters described sighting after sighting of the now infamous murderer and assassin, Caleb Feren. The assassin seemed to consider the manhunt as a game, appearing and disappearing at will. The people were scared. The Kaiser's Guard was furious. Private sources had informed him that the commander of the Kaiser's personal security forces had awoken with a pleasantly worded note glued to his wife's forehead. It had said, "Missed me. Love, Caleb". This hadn't been allowed into the news reports but it had given Kendrick a good laugh when his informants had reported it. Talent and style, too bad Caleb had taken an instant dislike to him, he would have been a very useful agent.

Kendrick smiled broadly, despite the lack of evidence even the crimes that couldn't be proven had been firmly attributed to Caleb, at least in the court of public opinion. Now it was time to finish this. He sent the message. In just a few hours the assassin would no longer be a factor and he could get back to work. He would miss the entertainment though. He wondered if he could get his hands on the note and get it framed...just as a momento.
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Anne »

I curled up on the couch with a tall bottle of lemon concentrate…it was all ready half empty. The bottle was smooth and cold; a slight chill ran through my fingers and spread into the rest of my body. Soft Latin music played in the background, my fingers played with the frayed edge of a pillow. I wasn’t there though, I wasn’t in that room or on that sofa, I was in the past.

“You’ll break a man’s heart one day.” Who had said that to me? A wise someone, someone who could see into my soul and mind. They were right. Slowly my mind began to drift once more, towards the past evening. It was a hazy memory, filled with blurs of imagined sights, mixed sounds and distinct textures.

The wedding was the most empty at this point, a blend of everything. The constrictive feeling of the dress was the only thing I remembered. It wasn’t even that tight; it just reminded me of the position I was in. I was pawn, nothing more. I had closed doors and cut myself off from a happy future.

A reception had followed, I could almost see the crowded hall and the smell of hot and heavy perfume filled my nose. Azjah in a beautiful dress, Klinton with his arm around her. That’s what I saw. My images shattered and I could remember being introduced to the Viscount of Eberswalde. He would be dead soon, if he wasn’t all ready. The same fate had been bestowed upon the Baron of Auftritt. Azjah and Klinton had asked me to stay with them. I was even stolen by the new husband for a dance. I couldn’t remember a word that had been spoken. My children. My kids were all that had been in my mind.

Kendrick. The Earl was a gentleman. He danced with me and escorted me from the reception. I loathed every piece of him. While in the vehicle, he had brought me back to reality with the news that my kids had been taken. Two things stuck out in my mind, Caleb had taken them and they had been involved in gunfire. Panic took my body over and I nearly jumped out of the car at that point. However, they were safe and that lone fact kept me calm. He was sorry. He felt bad. The circumstances had driven him. What circumstances? The same circumstances that had drove him to murder Azjah’s mother and father. It was all such a huge mess.

When I left and walked back to the house I felt lost. I felt alone. Upon entering I heard guests and Azjah’s voice in another room. Stealthily I slipped around the corner to a back staircase I remember. Silke ran into me. I exchanged a few words, warning her not to tell anyone I had returned. Immediately I was taken to my children who were safe asleep. And now here I was, sitting on the couch trying to figure out my next move. My hand moved to the bell near me, and soon Silke was in my room.

“Milady?”

“I know Mr. Feren isn’t here, but if and when he comes can you tell him I’d like to see him at his earliest convenience? It’s very important.” I paused a moment and pondered these next words. Curiosity won over caution. “And if you could, please send a letter to the Earl to Tuebingen that I would like to see him tomorrow afternoon just after lunch.”
Anne Ellis Feren
Turon
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Turon »

Turon Stargazer settled into orbit above Rigel without a peep from the orbital defense systems. They would figure out he was there when he was ready for them to. The Ophelia was only lightly armed and armored but she could outrun just about anything in the spacelanes.

Turon scanned the media sattelites and hacked into the planetary net. He worked quickly, finding what he was looking for. He read through his messages and quickly spoofed the defense net causing them to track an imaginary Ophelia as it entered orbit merging with his actual ship. He hailed the space dock, "This is the trader ship Desdemona requesting clearance to land at Haven Spaceport for refueling and cargo pick up."

A moment later an officious sounding voice crackled over the radio, "Roger Desdemona, transmit your registration and cargo manifest and stand-by in high orbit for further instructions."

"Roger standing by." Turon sat back in the pilots chair, he hated waiting.

Clearance came through an hour later and he eased the ship past the defense net. 'Civilized' worlds were so damned paranoid. It made his line of business much more complicated. He set down and waited for the customs inspection. He wasn't carrying anything this time through so for once he didn't feel that little tickle of fear that usually hit right about now. For once he wasn't worrying about finding an honest customs inspector. Not that it had ever happened, but he'd heard stories.

As soon as the customs inspector had left Turon walked back to the cargo bay and looked around. "All right come out you sneaky git," he yelled into the empty bay, "I know you're in here." He just about jumped out of his skin when Caleb tapped him on the shoulder. Turon spun, "Son of a..."

Caleb laughed, "Jumpy aren't you?" before shaking Turon's hand.

Turon stepped back and looked at his friend for a moment, "I'm sorry Caleb."

Caleb looked confused for a moment and the staggered, dropping to one knee, "What...?"

"It won't kill you. He wants you alive." Turon shook his head, "and given a choice between being dead and having enough money to pay off the debt on my Ophelia here...I'm sorry Caleb." Caleb's glare promised murder as his eyes blurred and finally closed. Turon hit the button to open the door to the cargo bay and a squad of soldiers in full battle armor rushed in, their weapons never moving from Caleb's unmoving form. They were followed by two men that looked like scientists, one of whom quickly checked Caleb's vital signs. He nodded quickly and two of the soldiers grabbed Caleb dragging him out of the bay. The other scientist handed a briefcase to Turon and they left.

In moments Turon was standing alone in his ship. He looked down at the briefcase. He'd taken blood money before but never for a friend. Closing the door to the cargo bay he headed for the bridge, it was time to get as far from civilization as he could. Caleb was going to be cranky when he woke up and Turon had no intention of being anywhere near this sector when that happened. He liked living too much.
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Kendrick smiled at the reports. Caleb was in custody and had been taken to one of he research labs. He had informed the Prince personally but they had decided not to let anyone else know. The Kaiser's Guard's continued failure to capture the elusive Mr. Feren would only increase the public opinion that the Kaiser was becoming too old to rule effectively. When Kendrick was done with him the Prince could announce triumphantly that his agents had captured the crazed killer and further prove that the Prince was fit to rule.

His head researcher had sent up the testing plan for their new guest. Kendrick tweaked it as his aide came into the office and delivered a note. He wanted to get as much information out of Feren as possible before he had to turn him over to the Prince.

He finished his changes and opened the note. Anne had invited him to meet with her the next afternoon. He only hesitated for a moment before penning a note saying he would come. He also wrote to the Lord Caer informing him of the meeting and assuring the new Lord that his intentions were honorable. The forms must be observed.
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Anne »

Less then twenty-four hours have passed by and I've all ready heard how Caleb is "at large". I was frustrated with him, and yet very worried. Why couldn't he just come back, I had to speak to him. If he was going to survive ... well I just had to see him. I paced about in my room. I had been up all night just worried and wondering what he was doing. I figured Klint and Azjah hadn't found out about my presence just yet. Though I was probably wrong, they have guards everywhere. I crept through a door leading to an adjacent room and checked on my kids again. Leaving I felt oddly helpless. What was to prevent anyone from taking them again?

Breakfast came and went, but I didn't go down nor did I touch the food Silke brought to me. I figured that if I ate anything I'd throw it all up minutes later. With soft footsteps I went to the window of my room. Even though the images were only imagined I took comfort in the smells and sounds. Leaning on the ledge I quietly wished for Caleb to return.

"Milady?"

"Yes Silke?"

"The Earl of Tuebingen has accepted your invitation."

"Very well, where are the Lord and Lady Caer?"

"I believe they are in the library."

Reluctantly I left the windowsill and without another word headed downstairs.
Anne Ellis Feren
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Kendrick drove through the front gates and parked in front of the main entrance to the Triberg House. He glanced around uncertainly but he hadn't been shot at yet so it was going better than his worst fears at least. He got out of the car and headed up to the front doors which were opened as he approached. The greeting from the servant was proper and correct but he held no illusions that the Lord and Lady of the house wanted anything to do with him. What was the world coming to when proper respect to a rival wasn't even observed any more. As he entered he spied Anne walking down the stairs to meet him.

"Afternoon." She said as she descended towards him.

"Good afternoon milady." He replied.

"Surprised?" she asked as she reached the bottom and stood with her hands at her sides.

"Mildly." he said with a tinge of sarcasm. He had assumed that after the revelation of the night before she would not wish to see him again ever. "I had assumed your children would be taking up much of your time. How are they?"

"They're all right. They've got plenty of things to amuse them and the servants are all happy to play with them." Kendrick smiled at the unconscious affection he heard in her voice.

"That is good to hear."

"Would you like to sit outside or go into the lounge?" she asked, graciously playing the hostess.

"I am at your command milady."

Anne hesitated for a moment, "Let's go to the lounge then."

She began to lead the way but Kendrick gently took her hand and placed it on his arm, "Would you allow me?"

She didn't say anything but did not pull away so they walked together to the lounge. He led her to the couch and waited until she had sat down before sitting in the chair across from her, "So...anything new in the politics of Rigel?"

Kendrick looked at her for a moment. Did she realize exactly how loaded a question that was? Was this invitation all an elaborate ruse to catch him saying something he should not? He watched her intently as he spoke in a tense monotone, "No, our good monarch still sits on the throne and will for many years."

Anne smirked only slightly, "Of course."

Kendrick suppressed the urge to leave, "If I had only known you wished for an update on current events I would have come more prepared milady, perhaps by reading a newspaper this morning as I have not yet had the chance."

Anne brought her knees up and wrapped her arms around them. Kendrick wondered if she knew how vulnerable that pose made her appear, "You know as well as I do that's not why I asked you here."

"Actually I'm not entirely sure why you did ask me here but an invitation from you is not something I could resist, regardless of the reason."

Anne raised her eyebrows, "Really. I guess I'll take that as a compliment."

Kendrick smiled, "It was meant as such. Though I would assume you would be used to such by now. But please, why did you invite me here? I do not pretend that I am welcome here."

"No, you aren't particularly welcome. Not by the Lord and Lady at any rate. Curiosity is the main reason I invited you here."

Kendrick felt a cold weight settle in his stomach, "So how may I be able to satisfy your curiosity milady"

Anne sighed and ran her hand back through her hair, "Right...well...for starters, you said certain circumstances have driven you to do certain things. Such as taking my children. I'd like to know what those circumstances were." she asked as she hugged her knees tightly and waited anxiously for a response.

"Milady, discussing this here would be inadvisable." For me, he didn't bother to add. "I can not be sure of who would be listening."

Anne shrugged, "All right, where would you rather us go?"

"Perhaps you would accompany me for a ride. The countryside outside the city is quite lovely at this time of year." He suggested amiably.

"Okay." she said, releasing her knees and standing up.

She let him take her hand and place it on his arm and they headed for the front entrance. As the entered the entrance hall a thought occured to him, "Do you wish to inform anyone of your destination," he paused for a second and with a twisted grim grin he added, "or your company before we leave?"

Anne nodded, "That would be a good idea. Please inform the Lord and Lady Caer that I am going for a ride to the countryside with the Earl and will return by four." she instructed the servant as they left.

"I wouldn't want anyone to assume that I had absconded with you." His sardonic smile grew, "I seem to have a problem with that, but I am trying to cut back Milady."

"You can call me Anne, everyone else does." she said softly.

He led her out to the car and got her settled before replying, "I wasn't sure that I could assume such liberties." Kendrick settled into the driver seat and headed for the outskirts of town. The royal game preserve would be a relaxing drive.

They had been driving for quite awhile before he glanced over at his passenger. She sat in the seat beside him staring forward awaiting an answer to her question patiently.

"So you wish to know why I would take your children. The answer is simple, I did it in order to exert pressure on you to assist me. I was aware of your reputation and was reasonably certain that you could perform the tasks. Of course this was all before I had met you. I did not expect to find you to be," he stopped himself from talking, "anyways," how did this woman confuse him so. He had to be constanly watching what he said around her, "it was the only plan I had to prevent the assasssination of the Prince that had a chance of working with out starting a civil war so I went with it even after...much to my regret. But as I said, sometimes I do things I'm not proud of in order to fulfill my duty."

"Your du...Didn't expect to find me to be what?" Anne bit her tongue and quickly revised her question, "Never mind. So it was your duty."

Kendrick nodded imperceptively, "The Prince has done much for me. He was," more things he needed to keep hidden. How he wished he could actually trust this woman, "he helped me at a time when I didn't even want to help myself. Nothing will harm him while I draw breath," he paused and in a low voice added, "That includes our current monarch."

Anne nodded slightly, "And was your duty the same reason you were involved in the murder of Azjah's parents?"

Kendrick's jaw tightened, and finally we have the real reason she wished to see me. "That was...a different duty...and a different time"

"A different duty? A different time? How so?"

Kendrick stayed silent for a moment, "Why do you need to know these things?"

"Because I think you're regretting decisions you didn't have to make."

"Decisions I didn't have to make?" He remembered the humiliation and the pain and turned away from those thoughts. They were dangerous thoughts. "Sometimes decisions are made for you."

"How so?"

Kendrick glanced over at Anne, "What was your family like?" he asked suddenly.

Anne turned silent for a moment and then spoke softly, "I lived with pirates since I was ten years old."

A soft chuckle escaped him, "So you got off easy. My family was...uncompromising. My father made sure I knew where I came from and what was expected of me every day...my brother to."

Her voice hardened and he knew he had struck a nerve, "Got off easy? You know, our 'families' weren't all that different. The captain of our ship made sure I knew where my place was. Stripes, blows, you name it."

"Perhaps you're right. Our families were similar." His father's face flashed through his mind. Maybe it would have been easier if he hadn't loved the psychotic old man. "And what did you become when you became an adult, A pirate like your family expected you to?"

"A pirate because that was the only thing I knew how to be." Anne said, "There is one difference between you and I. I turned my back on piracy. I didn't become an angel, I'm anything but. However, I made the effort to change. I began a new life in RhyDin, I tried to forget my past and everything that I'd done. Granted it hasn't worked as well as I'd like but I made an effort, no matter how small."

"So you think I should simply run from my past?" Kendrick asked.

Anne smirked, "No, not quite. I'm not saying you should run from your past, but I do think you should re-evaluate your morals and values and make them what you think they should be. Not what your father said, not what your brother said, but what you think is appropriate." she sighed, "I'm not a shrink. If anything I need a psychiatrist."

Kendrick let out a short bitter laugh, "If I still followed what my father thought you would not be alive," his voice dropped and softened, "and my brother was nothing like my father...he was..." he struggled for the right word, "good...innocent almost."

Anne muttered something under her breath at his response but he was too lost in his own thoughts and didn't notice. Anne just sighed, "So where's your brother now?"

Kendrick started and snaps out of his thoughts, "My brother? He was," he had almost said murdered. This woman was dangerous, "he died when I was nineteen."

Anne nodded, "I see."

"See what?"

She smirked, "Nothing. I'm blind remember?"

Kendrick glanced over at her and instantly regretted his unthinking comment, "I'm sorry Anne. I didn't mean to...I'm sorry."

"For what? It's not your fault. Besides, it was just a joke."

"I'm just," Flustered, confused, about to confess everything, SHUT UP! "I don't talk about certain things."

Anne began to say something but then changed her mind and went off on a different track, "So, have you found Caleb yet?"

Kendrick sighed inwardly, he had hoped to avoic this topic, "The Kaiser's Guard is still searching for him. He seems to be quite adept."

She looked very disappointed, "So you have no idea about his whereabouts?"

"Wherever he is, he's very well hidden."

Anne sighed, "You have the means of finding him, I know that."

"Yes but if he's found he will need to be turned over to the Kaiser's Guard and then I would not be able to keep my promise to you that he would be kept alive." Kendrick paused, "I prefer not to look."

"You said you could apprehend him without getting him killed." Anne asked slowly.

"He's annoyed the wrong people. As long as he's free he's safe and I'm trying not to break my word to you again." Anne ran her hand back through her hair again. She seemed very agitated and cursed under her breath. Kendrick watched her and a light bulb went on in his brain. It was obvious but he'd never been good at personal interactions, at least not when he cared. Politics were a different animal entirely. "I'll let you know if my thiefcatchers find anything, I just hope your friend will have the same amount of restraint when it comes to my people. I am responsible for them you know."

"I need to reach him somehow." she said softly and suddenly he was sure.

He still needed to ask though. "Do you love him?" Kendrick asked, wondering why he hadn't seen it before. It explained the attacks, the attempts at framing him, everything. It explained the hatred Caleb had for him much better than simply it being second hand from Azjah Caer.

Anne shifted uncomfortably and took a deep breath before responding softly, "I...love..well. I don't know. I think I do but I don't think it matters anymore. I think he's given up." She turned towards him, "Y'know that isn't a fair question."

"Anne, since when are you overly concerned if a question is fair?" Kendrick smiled.

"Since two seconds ago." Anne muttered eliciting a laugh from Kendrick. "You will let me know, right away, if you find him?" Kendrick didn't respond right away, "I don't think I was ever meant to be marriage material, or anything like that."

"Well not everyone is. At least you don't have half the peerage in the realm trying to find out when you'll marry and produce an heir and the other half hoping you don't so they will inherit when you die" Kendrick returned to the conversation with a bitter tone.

"Is that the position you're in?" She asked.

"Yes...which is probably why I've avoided the idea for so long. Though now the Prince himself is making hints. Odds are I'll end up married off to someone I barely know."

Anne shrugged, "I'd personally go off-world and find someone you want to get married to."

And if I find someone, then what? Bring them into this world, this family. They'd have to be strong enough to survive and I've met precious few that could and they all want me dead," he paused, "hopefully present company excluded." he added quietly.

"I've had enough of murder in my life."

"And I gave you more."

Anne pursed her lips a moment, "Do you mind taking me back to the house?"

You're right, we should be getting back. Your friends will be worried about you." Kendrick said hoping the sadness didn't show in his voice. They drove back to the Triberg House in silence.

He pulled up in to the front steps and Anne paused for a moment before getting out. "I hope one day we'll be able to see each other under better circumstances. As friends perhaps."

"I will look forward to it. Good evening Anne."

She nodded and climbed out of the car, "You'll let me know when you find him?"

"When he's found you'll be the first to know."

"Thank you. Have a good night." She walked up the steps and was met by a servant. Kendrick watched her go. A new thought occurred to him. His mind raced through the implications. It would mean moving up the timetable slightly but if it worked...the irony alone made him relish the plan. Time to stage a rescue operation. Besides, what would piss off Caleb Feren more than owing his life to a man he hates...and pissing off Caleb Feren had recently become very high on Kendrick's list of priorities.
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I still worry that I won't adjust to being married. He'd come upstairs shortly after I had left the group, and I confessed that stepping aside for a new Master of Triberg was proving hard for me to do.

He always has a knack for knowing how to soothe, and we spent our second night as man and wife. The bath tub does fit two comfortably. While the hot water was comforting, my thoughts would not slow down enough for sleep and in the early morning hours, I was still awake.

Someone had tried to kill Klinton, using me as the weapon to deliver a sophisticated poison. Kendrick was the only person I knew with the education and the resourced to make such a thing. He'd slain my parents, and tigers do not change their stripes. It was not beyond him to make an attempt on Klinton now.

Yet, he'd warned us. Told us someone was going to try. Try HELL, if Lucien hadn't been there, I would have been burying Klinton tomorrow.

Caleb? He had the ability, but he'd come as our guest, as Anne's escort. He cared deeply for Anne, the very thought seemed absurd, and yet, doubt niggled in the back of my thoughts. He might.

I trembled. Twenty four hours ago I couldn't imagine being wed, and now, the thought of being widowed terrifies me even more. Until now, I had been the main target, and I had always accepted that, but now, Klinton has become the primary target.

The poison had been odorles and tasteless to me. If Lucien hadn't been able to smell it, I would have poisoned my own husband! The poison would have implicated me, and the real perpetrator would go free. I shivered again, only this time, Klinton's arms tightened around me. He'd awakened. "Are you truly chilled, or are you thinking about tonight?" His voice was rough velvet in the darkness, but I curled as close to him as I could.

"I am not cold physically, but my dear, you could have died tonight, and that simply terrifies me."

We talked ernestly for some time, and we are agreed that we will return to RhyDin as soon as possible. Get away from Court and what ever is going on between the Prince and the Kaiser. We do not need to become any more embroiled in that looming catastrophe.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

Lucien and Gabriel communicated after the incident.

"Someone is very serious about this Gabriel. The poison was genetically specific for the Marquess. And that someone had enough access to the Marchioness' personal things. I believe they are safer in RhyDin."

Lucien paced his room, his attention divided between listening to what was being said inside the house, and what Gabriel was telling him.

"Fine, so speak to the Vampiress. Her knowledge of chemistry, especially biological chemistry may help find the maker, but what makes you so certain she'll tell you if she can finger the maker? What if it is someone she knows?"

Gabriel's laugh annoyed Lucien, though precisely what it was about the laugh that remained obscure.

A subtle whisper snapped Lucien's attention to a female voice he recognized. Katarina was whispering to her brother in the doorway of the kitchens. "The Kaiser must know about the murder attempt. The Marquess sent word to the Prince, and not to His Majesty. It looks like they are siding with the Prince!"

Lucien vanished from sight and waited as Katarina spoke too freely.

In the morning, neither Katarina nor her brother could be found. Searches turned up nothing, but there were missing clothes and personal items from the maid servant's room. It was assumed by the investigators that she'd run off in the night. It was common enough. Fear of poison and death the probable reason.

Only Lucien knew their whereabouts.

That is how it would remain.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Morning came, and a shy young woman knocked on my door. I bade her enter, trying not to awaken Klinton in the process, and she scrupulously avoided looking at the bed as she set a breakfast tray down. Her eyes remained locked on her toes as she told me her name, and that Katarina was gone today. When I rang, she would return to help me dress.

Klinton stirred, his voice fairly purred that I would need no help today, and she backed out of the room in a great hurry as she turned several shades of pink.

I believe he enjoys frightening the lady's maids. Young women of gentle birth are often fostered out to the peers for training and education. Many of them come into service as a personal assistant with no experience with men. Many have spent their lives in convents and having a man in the room can be upsetting.

Here on Rigel, there are not many men of his size and strength, and I laughed at his completely unrepentant expression. A mischeivous look in his eyes was soon confirmed in deed.

We ate breakfast undisturbed, and at length, I raised the subject of our obstreperous and missing guest. Caleb. We need to find him. I suspect that is easier said than accomplished, but quietly, we needed to find him.

Lucien agreed.

The Search began.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”