Silence

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Silence

Post by Mystic »

I walked up to the blue ragged book. It seethed with magic, both dark, dangerous, and mystifying. I've been losing her ability to talk with the animals and other mysterious creatures of Eszt-Zaar for months. It happenes to all girls between five and ten. By the early teens the connection is lost forever. A reasonable six-year old would never let that happen.

Opening the forbidden book I pushed away my mothers warning. Never touch that book Mystic. Don't go into that room Mystic. It's not your time Mystic. We all grow up Mystic. I was sick of it! Sick of it, sick of it, sick of it!

"Hiczart Oximfay Srolishmack!" I struggled with the pronouciations. It was kind of elvish...a little too elvish for me. "Hontazy! Zicarah! Rinolay!" I took the bowl of deer blood that Zatara had sacrificed for me. Pouring it on my head I shouted the last incantation.

"BORLITONY!"

TBC
Last edited by Mystic on Mon May 02, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

High Priest

Post by Mystic »

Darkness

Pain

Fear

I couldn't see anything, and it felt like someone had place a couple of lead blankets over me. I was being squished and I was afraid. Taking a few deep breaths I got up. Clumsily I made my way through the foliage, I had no idea where I was or where I was going. Then I felt it. Something brushed against my leg. It was a wolf, I don't know how I knew I just did. Her name was Siria. I ran my hand over her silk fur...it was comforting. I trusted her and she lead me cautiously.

The wolf beside me sat down and so I followed. It left me but I knew I was to stay. Waiting patiently for what seemed like ages, I could finally start to see. When I regained all of my eyesight I saw him. Standing at the edge of the pond there was a man who seemed to be in his early twenties, his blonde hair was cut short, he wore some black robes. I approached cautiously.

I was still disoriented and it only took one step before I made noise. He noticed me right away and I panicked. It took me a few moment but I recognized him as someone important. The High Priests from where I lived dressed just like that. Not knowing what to do next I bowed then muttered a simple evacuation spell. Who knows where I'd end up next.

((Cross-posted in Kurgen Keep))
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Attack

Post by Mystic »

I couldn't remember much. Just an attacker...I don't know who. It hurt really bad though. They banged me up really good, and gave me a deep cut down my left arm. Don't ask how, but I managed to bandage it. I reamined disoriented, the spell I had casted was taking an effect. I no longer made any noise, couldn't speak, and whenever I tried to communicate with hand motions pain shot through my body. Wandering aimlessly, lack of blood I suppouse, I stumbled into some sort of arena. I couldn't remember much, jsut collapsing noiselessly on the ground.

I don't remember much, just an odd nibbling at my fingers. It turned out to be rats, I swated them away. Propping myself up I fought to keep consciousness. I still don't recall what exactly happened. I just remember seeing blurrs and forcing myself down the stairs. The couch was a welcome sight, I burried myself in the pillows. It was then Inoticed the blood that was coming through my crudge bandage.

I was scared, I heard voices around me. None sounded nice, no one cared about me. Just like at my home. Just like my parents. I wanted to cry.

Pain.

They kept calling me thing...I'm not surprised. I'd gone albino. Some wanted me to leave, others just wanted to kill me.

More pain.

I shuddered, my white hair fluctuated back to the natural blonde. The pain that coursed through me was unberable. I wouldn't have mind being run through at this point. They were speaking to me...the one lady. She asked who I was. I was crying at this point...I couldn't speak. And it was so painful. I heard the word doctor...doctors killed my brother. I wouldn't let a doctor touch me. I pressed into the couch further. No doctors.

The lady told me that this new man wouldn't hurt me. Who was she that I should trust her? I looked at the man, he said he wouldn't hurt me. Everything was blury, but his hands seemed to glow. I closed my eyes to stop the tears..it didn't work. I felt him touch me, pulling up my sleeve. It stung horribley, I bit my lip feeling the rush of pain. The man poured some water over my arm, I flinched feeling it clean the wound. Instinctively I grabbed the lady. "It's ok, he really won't hurt you, but he needs to see the wound," she reassured me. The man spoke elvish...maybe he could lift the spell? I looked at him abruptly wanting to see him clearly. I was still apprehensive and I watched as a red cloud formed around my arm. It became solid and he warned me it would sting. Nodding shakily I prepared myself. It felt like needles were being put into my arm.

Not able to help it I screamed, closing my eyes. I couldn't hear myself scream, I don't think anyone else could either. The lady rubbed my back and reassured me. Slowly the blood stopped and the red goo formed on my wound.

The lady asked what happened. I looked at her and tried speaking, but iwas in vain. I was still crying and she told me to slow down. The man asked me if I could write it out, I couldn't. Exhausted I closed my eyes and drifted out of consciousness. The nice lady offered me a pillow and I took it. I needed sleep.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

I woke up and found the place deserted. Being an ignorant six-year old I left the place. Wandering about I found out that this new place was called RhyDin. It reeked of evil, death...but yet I sensed good. My uncle told me that most people were born with the gift of magic, but that I was born of magic. I am magic. He said that was why I could sense much more then others. I don't understand all of it, but I think that's why I can sense whose good and who isn't. Though some people elude me. Like the ones in robes. White robes. They were good, I think...but had a sort of dark blue aura.

I walked to and fro and got lost soon. I couldn't find my way back. It soon became dark and I found a box on the street to live in. How horrible. It stank, but I had the rats to keep my company. That was my life for half a week, nothing too exciting. Most people ignored me or shooed me away. Once in a while a kind man or woman would offer me something to eat and tell me to go home. Others would try and deceive me, but by the red auras I could tell that there was no good in them. Just evil thoughts. Sometimes I got caught, and had to run away. Not everyone has auras.

I wish my hair and eyes didn't change colour like they do. Uncle said that it was part of being magic. It reflected my moods he said. It makes me so out of place though...

There was one time I thought I was in big trouble. I had meandered over to the docks and played with a few kids my age. Soon though I left and found some teenagers painting property. Where I came from that wasn't right, and I was sure it wasn't right here too. I tried to sneak away but a big boy came and grabbed me by the arm. He tried to force me into speaking, but I couldn't. The stupid spell I used was really having horrible affects. One of the girls said to just let me go. Another boy said they should just dispose of me. Shaking her head the girl said I was to leave. So I did.

It had been a long week...and I was grateful for the shed in which I slept.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

What an exciting night I had! I finally found that fighting place. The one with swords, but there was a lot more people. I came in and it was so crowded...I couldn't believe my eyes. Then I saw that the nice lady was there, and the man who had helped me. I had come with the intention of giving them back something for their help. For the lady I had a special flower that would never die. For the man I had a rock, when you healed someone with magic an elven rune for healing glowed on it. It helps your powers, that's what Uncle said.

Walking down the stairs I wished I was invisible. So many grown ups, and no where to run! The lady saw me, and I quickly ran over making no noise as I handed her the flower. Right after I ran back to the stairs. Another woman asked if I was looking for someone. I was just about to answer but remembered I couldn't. I found the man again and went over giving him the stone, he said thank you. I gave a little curtsie and then turned around.

UNCLE!

At least...that's what I thought. He looked just like Uncle...and Uncle had said that if I ever ran away he would find me. I was scared, Uncle might hurt me for running away. But it was Uncle...he would find me a safe place to stay. Ignoring the woman who asked if I was looking for someone, I ran over to Uncle.

Scared about what he would do I knelt on one knee as whenever I did when I was bad, bowing my head in submission. It was what one did in respect for elders. He called me little one, like always, and asked me what was wrong. I was lost that's what! Couldn't he understand! I tried to speak but nothing came out. Uncle touched me...I trembled waiting for a reprimand. He told me that everything was okay, but then...but then he said that he had a daughter about my age. Uncle didn't have children.

It was then I realized that it wasn't Uncle. He didn't have the same eyes, or the same hands. He told me to stand up but I wasn't sure what to do. I looked around me to the fighting rings and then back at the man I thought was Uncle. He beeped my nose! Shocked, I stood up slowly. Who *was* this man? Then he told me to leave. No, this man had the same warm, yellow-orange aura that Uncle did. He was kind, and had children. I didn't want to leave, so I looked at the door and shook my head at him.

I then found out that he was going to leave. I didn't want to be left behind, not here, not outside. I wanted to go with him. I reached out to touch him, but then pulled back not sure what he would say. What if he didn't want me with him? I decided I had to try, so I reached out again shakily and tugged softly on his sleeve. He was talking to a woman, then stood up. Not wanting him to leave, I gathered up my courage and tugged once more. After he acknowledged me I bit my lip, looked at the door then at him and slowly reached for his hand.

He came down to my level, just like Uncle, and asked if I wanted to be taken somewhere. How I wanted him to take me with him. Nodding slightly, all my fears gone, I walked forward and let him pick me up. I smiled and burried my face in his shoulder. I was going to a home!

---

The nice man took me to a place that faintly resembled Uncles dojo. As we passed through the gate I sensed a lot of magic protecting the place. It seemed focussed on some sort of training area to the left. However, the nice man took me to the building on the right. Inside were men that looked like the monks from Eszt-Zaar. It was so strange, everything was similar to that which I left. He took me a bed and put me there, I gave him a hug a held on tight. He was such a nice man, so much like Uncle. I fell asleep feeling safe.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Post by Xenograg »

Xenograg looks upon the sleeping child with wonder and uncertainty. The mute child had sought him out among all others in the Arena. She was frightened and looked to him for safety. As Xenograg told Alais as he took the child in his arms, this could be a test of his new allegiance. So he brought the child to Dojo Darelir and lay her in an empty cell. She fell asleep without any fuss despite the foreignness of the place.

Xenograg summons an ascetic and gives instructions for the child to be checked on all night, and for him to be summoned if needed. He then walks to and enters the dojo's shrine. A little extra devotion seems in order. Xenograg lowers himself to the floor and lights some incense. Assuming the proper posture, he fixes his eyes upon the tiny altar's new statuette: a naked, middle-aged woman with large eyes stands nursing a baby but is looking forward. Xenograg stares into those eyes while softly chanting a prayer. Even in the low light of the shrine, the sculptor's expression of compassion in the goddess's eyes is evident.

Xenograg is very late returning to Amaltea in Eldicor.

"Where have you been? I was getting worried," she says.

"That is a peculiar story I need to tell you," is his reply. One of her eyebrows rises.

"Peculiar?"

"Yes," he says as he undresses for bed. He then sits on the bed beside his wife and begins to tell her about the stray child he has brought home.
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Pillow Fights and Hantei

Post by Mystic »

When I woke up I was fed and taken care of. I was also given some new clothes to wear. They were all very nice to me. I left my most precious possession for the man who had taken care of me. A small tattered book, it withheld all the spells I knew, and which I had yet to learn. It also contained a brief history of the land in which I had lived. Perhaps he would find some use for it.

Leaving the Dojo I wandered around, and cautiously made my way through RhyDin. I sat down in a public park and ate the lunch the monks had packed for me. After finishing, I wandered around some more, and then I felt someone come up to me and try and speak telepathically. It bounced right off the spell and I realized that I never would be able to speak telepathically anymore. Or receive messages in the same manner. This discouraged me, as I had hoped it would be a way of communicating. Feeling somewhat lost, and upset I made my way to that fighting place. Maybe I would see the nice lady and the healing man.

---

I had a very scary night, it started out okay but then that man showed up. I sat by Dimitri and played cards with him, he also showed me some tricks! We made flames out of magic, and there was this guy that looked like a girl. He was really funny, and then this neat lady showed up. She looked like the people that called duels. She also looked really bored. I decided that it would be fun to give her a pillow fight! So I went into the ring with a pillow, and then Dimitri came in and we fought. I won!

There was this pretty lady that came in like a silver column. After the pillow fight I went up to her, she was drinking this amber looking stuff. She had a pink aura, but there was a sort of crimson outline. The pretty lady asked who I was, so I gave her one of my cards. The cards have my name handwritten on the bottom, Uncle bought them for me in Eszt-Zaar. Then she told me that her name was Alais. It's a really neat name.

Then I saw this man, I couldn't see his aura for some reason. He looked kinda mean, but so did Commander Alfiat, and Commander Alfiat is actually really nice. The man (I later learned his name was Hantei) wanted a duel. I figured that was another name for pillow fight, so I tugged on his sleeve and went into the ring. I curtsied to the caller lady like always and then to Hantei, but then I realized he had a blade. I was kind of scared, he could really hurt me.

I used the magic Uncle taught me and made the pillow glow orange, hoping the man was kind. I saw bubble wrap go on and then off of the mans blade, I realized that Dimitri had put it on then another man took it off. Hantei started off by avoiding me, I just wanted a simple pillow fight! When I went in to attack I got scared and the pillow stopped glowing, then he sliced it in two! I decided using a sliced pillow wouldn't work, so I left and got a new pillow then came back. As the fight continued I got more and more scared, hearing the conversations in the background and trying to keep focussed. I heard something that really got me scared, this man could send my soul to the evil place! Dimitri told me to concentrate so I did, but then the Hantei's spirit came out and I saw the aura in full blast. Black. Pitch Black.

Everything just got worse and worse, he used these tendril like things to hurt my legs. It was painful, but I didn't let that show. Soon enough we were done, but the man wouldn't stop! His spirit in it's full blackness flew out and chased me. I've never been so scared! I ran to Dimitri and clutched on to him for dear life, I didn't want to see that man ever again. I wanted to cry, I was shaking really bad too. I saw that a lot of people had come in, and trying to distract myself I looked at them curiously. I found out that there was one new man named Tass and another lady called Queen Teleperien. Dimitri said that they were nice people.

Then a very interesting being came over. I could see that the vampiress was a disguise, she was very intriguing to look at. Her name was Rhaine. I saw flashes of her aura, an insane swirl of black+crimson, with streaks of iridescent pale blue, lots of energy, and some odd binding to magic. She scanned me, and I knew she saw me in a way most did not, as colours and infrared, energy and magic.

I looked around and remembered the lady who had defended me while I was in the ring. I decided to thank her, so I curtsied respectfuly and smiled in thanks. She asked if I had met everyone, I hadn't. Alais introduced me to Sarah, Teleperien, and Tass. I curtsied politely to each and wasn't quite sure what to do afterwards. Then the man who Alais had defended me against came over. He didn't come close, but he did squat to look me in the eye. I'll never forget his warning.

"Lassie, ye shoul' be careful who ye gets in the ring wi', aye? Some people 'ere, they'll try an' 'urt ye. An' ye'll no' always hae people 'ere t'protect ye, aye?"

I just nodded slowly, and I will remember what he said. I stayed with the Alais and her friends for the rest of the evening. Listening to them talk made me sleepy, and I soon fell asleep on the couch.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Dimitri

Post by Mystic »

I found my way back to the Dojo and stayed there for a couple of days. I didn't leave, not even to visit RhyDin. I went over to the training place and watched people learning to fight. The monks were very nice to me, speaking to me kindly and giving me food to eat. I also did some research on those dueling places, and I found out that you could fight with magic! I learned all the spells and hoped to try it out. One night I was sitting in my room looking at my cards when Xenograg came in. He asked me if I wanted to go to the arena with him, putting my cards away I nodded. If he was there I would have to worry about Hantei.

---

Poor Dimitri. He seems so sad, I wish I could help him. I don't fully understand what went on last night...

It started out pretty plain, I greeted everyone I knew and then sat with Xenograg. Then one of those robed people came in. She seemed to be a friend of Dimitris, but I wasn't quite sure what to think of her. I had seen the people in white do lots of good things, but they weren't ... innocent. I guess there was just something missing. I decided to be introduced, so I went over to Dimitri and tugged on his sleeve. He told me that her name was Alia Anor, however, that did not interest me as much as Xenogrags reaction to her. When she finally looked at me I was concerned as to why Xenograg did not seem to like her. I curtsied politely then slowly made my way back to Xenograg.

He asked me questions and I gave answers as best I could by pointing to certain things. I felt safe with him, just like with my Uncle. I tried to get a magic duel by standing in the rings with a flame in my hand. Even with Azjahs interpretation no one wanted to, so I just sat by Azjah and watched Xenograg duel. Then ANOTHER man in white robes entered, and I was getting very curious. Deciding that I needed to learn more I went back to Dimitri. Then it started to get weird.

A girl, maybe five years older then me, came in. She was wearing white. White robes. And the two grown ups in white stood up for her! I couldn't help it, but my jaw dropped and I knew my eyes were as big as saucers. I hadn't see any other kid in here and I certainly hadn't seen any in robes, either in here or in RhyDin. Her name was Lily, and I quickly closed my mouth and looked at Dimitri then back to her again. He bowed to her! Who was this girl? I certainly was not about to curtsy to a kid only five years older. Even if she did have white robes. I was soon surrounded by two adults in white robes, the girl Lily and Dimitri. I could only tell what the mans aura was, multicoloured, like if you took every colour and stirred them around just a bit. Lily's and Alia Anors was harder to see, it was sort of flashes but the same sort of multicoloredness with flashes of dark blues.

Lily then noticed me and gave me a friendly smile. Okay, so she couldn't be all bad. I gave her a weak nod, Dimitri asked if everything was all right. I nodded slightly, very intrigued and some what cautious. The man in white wanted a duel, so I figured I'd give him one. Putting out my hand a made the magic flame appear. Just to make sure the message was clear I pointed to the ring. He gave me a smile and then we started our duel.

He was very nice to me, but my energy was soon drained. Uncle had often told me to be careful, that magic was like my life-blood. I soon forgot his warning while getting caught up in the duel and my very essence was becoming worn. Later in the duel I started to hear a conversation involving Dimitri that got me worried. He and this liontaur were shouting at each other, not only did it make my head hurt but I got scared.

Our duel finished with Vincent winning, he told me that I would be very good once I got older. This did not matter to me so much as what to do next. I felt weak, weaker then I had before but I needed to help Dimitri. Teleperien came to the ring, but I had to go to him. Nodding to the Queen I moved closer to Dimitri, stopping a few feet away from him. Then Xenograg came, he called me. I was torn between the two and didn't know who to go to. Alia Anor went to Dimitri, so I went to Xenograg sadly. He picked me up and told me that Dimitri would be alright, I hoped so. I watched Dimitri sadly as he went into a shadowy corner by himself. He needed comfort, so I squirmed and waited for Xeno to put me down.

I went over and sat beside Dimitri and waited. I softly touched his arm and gave him a hug. He sighed, seeming very upset. I smiled trying to make him feel better, it didn't work. I placed a hand on each cheek and looked into his eyes steadily with a innocent smile. I would always like him, I would never turn him away like others had down. I gave him another hug and moved over to Xenograg, I couldn't stay awake much longer.

I looked at Xenograg talking with Lily, enough was enough I thought. Tugging on his sleeve to be picked up, I shook my head with a sombre expression. He asked me if Dimitri was better, he wasn't so I shook my head. Xenograg sat down with me in his lap, and with him rocking me I slowly fell asleep.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Drained

Post by Mystic »

I woke up late in the day, I could tell it was just before lunch. The whole night I had felt hot and sick, and I kept seeing flashes of light. I also kept waking up every couple of hours and then falling back asleep. When I woke up midafternoon I saw a monk there watching me.

He came over and felt my forehead and shook his head slightly. I turned feeling very uncomfortable and saw my hair was white. I didn't need anymore confirmation that I was sick. My eyes were probably red and I looked albino.

The monk left and came back with some broth. I ate as much as I could but it didn't help. I felt very weak, I even tried making a flame in my hand but it turned out small and a sickly green-brown colour. I think it had to do with last night and that magic duel. I had used too much of my magic and that reflection spell had drained more then I had wanted to expend.

Magic, is your life force Mystic. Do not expend it so quickly, you must always conserve. Just as the heart pumps blood and can regenerate after a blood donation, so does your soul cycle the magic in you. If you use to much, your being will absorb the magic faster then the soul can produce it.

That is what Uncle had taught me a year before I had left Eszt-Zaar. Was that what was happening? I didn't think so, not after one simple magic fight. Perhaps I was just out of practice...whatever the case I felt sick.

The monk told me he was sending a missive to Xenograg and that I should get some rest. No need to tell me that! I quickly fell asleep and did not wake till a couple hours later.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Rhaine walked to Dojo Darelir through the Shadow, easily piercing space in a shadow-warp. She needed to see Xenograg, the news weren't too urgent but important enough. Vampiress knocked at the door and was admitted without hesitation.

They had been talking for quite a while, when Rhaine turned around sharply. Vampiress could sense Mystic's arrival easily. The girl walked in, and as if a small bell tinkled in Rhaine's mind. Something was very wrong...
"Mystic unwell?" she asked softly. The child looked as if she had a normal cold - for normal eye. For Rhaine that was different. Vampiress watched the child, her face softening remarkably... watching, she didn't even realize that soft pale blue glow surrounded her fingers. The girl was drained, drained severely and needed aid. Not just energy thrown into her... no... As Xenograg told about Mystic's duel in magic against Vincent, Rhaine's face darkened.

She came up to Mystic, and her hands touched child's. The pale glow was absorbed quickly and surely.
"Mystic... you want to draw some energy? Or just let me check what has this... damn brainless templar... done to you?"
Vampiress was angered beyond normal. As Mystic absorbed specially filtered energy, she smiled calmly. The child tried to close her eyes, but she asked her to watch.
"Might get you a bit dizzy if you close your eyes, Mystic. Look at me, and watch what I'm doing - you need to learn to do that yourself later on"

She worked accurately and precisely, weaving a variant of self-healing sign. It was to filter and clean the havoc in energy knots of the magic-child Rhaine tried to aid. Delicate touches of magic adjusted the energy consumption, and smoothened the transition. A bit more - and Mystic's face regained color. Only after this Rhaine smiled.
"There. You may need to drink some sweetened tea, or eat honey - such casting may be not too easy. You'll get used to this, the spell is your first-aid kit."

As the child drifted off into sleep, the conversation continued - about grim news, Hells and wars... But the vampiress walked out of the Dojo, dissolving in the night, knowing for sure - the little magical flame called Mystic is safe.
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

I was feeling much better. Rhaine had visited Xenograg and I'd heard them talking, not able to sleep I decided to listen. She taught me how to filter my energy, that life force within me, and I slept very well that night.

Afterwards I decided I wasn't going to the arenas for a while. I thought about Eszt-Zaar, and Uncle....I missed him. I stayed at the Dojo and helped the people there. Every once in a while I'd go into town with them and visit my friends by the docks.

One day I wandered by myself and I stumbled upon the temple. Well...stumbled may not be right, it is really big. I didn't go in it, but I saw lots of white-robed people. They smiled at me and asked me if I needed a place to stay. Some offered to take me to an orphanage. I wasn't quite sure what an orphanage was, there are some words I can't seem to translate. I decided it was best to say no, so I shook my head and went back to the Dojo.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Twilight Isle

Post by Mystic »

I had wandered around a bit and found this interesting looking portal; I walked through it and found myself upon a magical isle. In doing some research I recognized this as the Twilight Isle. Rhaine was there, and I was happy to see her. She was with this other man whose name was Steven. For a while I watched Rhaine duel him for practice. Getting bored I wandered a bit, this one Tower of Water caught my eye, as did the Citadel. As I was meandering my way over, Rhaine asked if I'd like to duel. Figuring practice wouldn't hurt I decided too.

When I had first landed on the Isle I was overwhelmed by the magic it held. Now, I was playing with it. It flowed into me like a rushing river, and I used it during the magic duel. There was no sense in expending my own energy, as Rhaine put it. After playing with the magic and using it in my duel I got a great idea! I was going to use the Isles magic to find a way home! I felt the strands of magic flow, and played with them like string. I knew which ones would be most capable of helping me, and so I chose the silver and blue strands. I pulled them into an oval like shape that grew bigger steadily. The strands intertwined and it grew taller then me, and almost as wide. I realized that to return home, I'd need to use my own energy. I could almost feel the castle in Eszt-Zaar pulling me in.

Soon the silver and blue strands were mixed with my own orange and pink ones. The portal grew big enough to encompass me, but was nowhere near stable. I cut off the magical flow from the Isle, making the portal independent but for the magic I kept pouring in. The process was being quickened by my own magic, and I soon found myself out of breath.

Rhaine tried to help me by lending me some of her energy. It wouldn't work; this needed to come from me. I didn't take the magic, but she fed me some of hers anyway. Surprisingly it stabilized the portal somewhat, but I had already lost control of my magic. I could feel the oval creeping around me and pulling me into Eszt-Zaar. Just when I thought I might be lost forever in this unstable abyss of white and blue, Rhaine stepped in. She caught me and cut the spell off.

"Don't get over-excited with this Twilight Isle, Mystic." That's what she said to me. I didn't care what she said; I was so close to success! I had almost gotten home but then...

I felt my hair fluctuate colors with the mixed emotions that overwhelmed me. Rhaine spoke to me again, saying that if I wished to cast something extra-strong, I should have tried to accumulate energy. Then she asked if I wanted to go somewhere. I gave the faintest nod to Rhaine, frowning, admitting defeat. I sat back down as my hair faded to a lighter blonde, I felt weak. I used the spell she had taught me and cleaned up my energy centers, I also absorbed the isles magic.

I looked on into the depths of the Isle, faintly hearing Rhaine's apology. What comfort could she give me? I had almost gotten home; I had almost found a way back to my Uncle.

Moving towards the portal I assured Rhaine she wasn't being too protective. Wiping the tears that had started to form I gave her the affirmative when she asked if I wanted her help in learning to accumulate energy for such spells. Not forgetting my manners, I waved to Steven and offered a smile to Rhaine. An empty smile, but a smile nonetheless.

---

I sat in the Dojo staring at the blank wall. To be so close to home and yet so far away tore me up inside. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't talk, and couldn't go home. I left the Dojo the next day around lunchtime, not feeling hungry even though I hadn't eaten since the night before. The people there were accustomed to my comings and goings and I thought they wouldn't miss me. Making my way to the Isle I thought of my previous attempt to create a portal. I would start small this time. Dueling with pillows, or even magic, could wait; I wanted to go home.

Entering the Island I went to the beach and sat down there playing with the sand, wiggling my toes in the water. For a while I forgot my purpose and played in the lake, swimming about and having fun. When I got too tired to swim I lay on the beach and slept feeling the magic. I would live on the Island I decided. I woke up late, knowing only from my internal clock as this magical place remained in a state of Twilight. Wandering to the woods I found a hot spring with a sheltered cave nearby. I sat in the cave and weaved the magic. Beginning with the small flames Dimitri taught me to use, and then expanding to more solid objects. When I was tired I slept, when I was hungry I ate from nature, and when I was bored I played. However, most of the time I experimented with the Isles magic.

I hoped Xenograg didn't worry.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I was practicing with Steven, trying to restore to my normal ability, when I sensed familiar presence. Mystic! To be honest, I was happy to see her. We dueled a bit for fun, and after that Steven and I sat down to discuss tactical questions. Mystic played with local magic, she seemed very impressed by it, and I admit, I let my attention slip away....

When Mystic started working on a spell that was a variation of a portal, I didn't pay much attention. If she was taught to weave such spells, she should have been taught necessary caution... But the further her casting progressed, the more nervous it has gotten me. I noticed how much the spell was taking from the girl, and how her metabolism accelerated... No, Mystic, if you're trying to get yourself drained, do that when I'm not around... I stepped in, and tried to feed Mystic some of my own energy. No, the girl has not been taught to filter and transform energy spectrums... I tried to take over the spell and stabilize it. I partially succeeded - but it was too late. The portal magic was drawing Mystic in. No way, lass, I know enough of unstable portals! I cut off the spell.

Who has taught her to weave these spells? The girl was throwing in her own energy without any concern for survival or preserving her "constant reserve". Looked as if she knew the spells like children learn poems... by heart, not by intellect, if you know what I mean... She didn't have the basics taught to anyone with the Gift in my homeland. I would never forgive myself if I allow her to come to harm.

I offered Mystic to help her learning energy accumulation, but the child was so distressed by that failure, that I sensed that she accepted my offer only out of courtesy.

What is that place she wished to go to so badly, that was willing to waste her lifeforce on the unstable portal? Was it... her home?
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Lessons

Post by Mystic »

I sat at the beach, running the sand through my fingers and twirling magical strands around a finger on the other hand. Rhaine arrived at the Isle through a dark warp of shadow and sat down near me.

"Should have expected to see you here..." She hugged me slightly and continued "You got me very worried the other day... Has someone taught you weaving portal spells?" Uncle taught me evacuation spells, but the rest I sort of studied and knew by myself. "Fine, I'm horrible, mean and wicked, I stopped you from finishing the spell."

She wasn't any of those things, and I showed her so by giving her a hug.

"You know, I offered you my help with certain basics anyone of your talent should learn early. Do you think it would be a good idea to work on that? I never thought you weren't taught them... in my homeland, anyone with a Gift had to learn some things before studying spells."

I was ready to learn. We did a lot of things, we started with small flames and then I learned how to use the least amount of energy possible. Then we started on reserve shields, this took me a while but I soon learned how. I now gradually add to my reserve, with every breath and every moment spent on the Isle. Afterwards I learned how to filter energy and use magic that was compatible to my magical spectrum. We then left the Isle through one of Rhaines more stable portals. I was about to duel this one man, but then I remembered the cards, which were still at the Isle. Fearing that my Uncles gift was lost I hurried back to my hide out.

When I arrived I found only one card left. I picked it up and looked for the rest, and followed a little trail to a group of goblins that serve at the arenas. They were playing with my cards, so I joined in. Afterwards they gave them back and I slept in the comfort of my green-skinned friends.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I met Mystic at the Isle again, and worked with her on the "survival basics" I was taught as soon as I started learning life magic. Keeping a reserve of energy, optimizing energy consumption, basics on using other's energy in the spells that require your own... I feared that Mystic would try something powerful again and get hurt. Yes, I do worry for her... I do care for this little miracle that somehow came to this darkened town.

I'm not much of a teacher, but Mystic's intuition and intellect are superb. She learned everything I wanted to show her that day, and we left for Swords Arena. For this I used a simple, stable portal. We'll get to transportation spells... when Mystic is ready.

Return to “Dojo Darelir”