The Temple of Divine Light

Welcome to the Temple of Divine Light, all who come seeking wisdom and divine guidance are welcome within these doors. <a href="http://templeofdivinelight.com">http://templeofdivinelight.com</a>

Moderators: Lily, Brother Zed

Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

::The letter was delivered to the Temple shortly before noon. It was addressed to Brother Vincent. ::

"Hey Vince,
I've been checking out the Temple for sometime now, I was wondering if you would be interested in giving me a grand tour? I've got a cue ball with your name on it by the way."

Signed, The Reluctant Druid,
Artemus Kurgen

:: The number of a P.O. Box was written at the bottom of the letter::
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
Alia Anor Graham
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Ground Breaking for the Hospice

Post by Alia Anor Graham »

The Sea Haven site has at last been approved, and Dimitri has returned from his trip. I have been working with the contractors to begin clearing the ground and preparing for the foundation that will signal the beginning of the new Hospice.

I have seen the former property owners a couple of times, and they do not seem overly happy with their decision to sell for a more reasonable sum, but what ever convinced them to sell, we are pleased to have this property for the Hospice.

The contractor has a large team here, and I suspect the hospice will begin to see progress very quickly.

Dimitri wears his pendent, and perhaps as this project continues, I will convince him to join us at the Temple. Our work in RhyDin is gaining notice, and we have provided homes for the orphans, a soup kitchen, a homeless shelter, and now the hospice.

We are here to stay.
Alia Anor Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

Vinny made it a point to pen a repsonse as soon as he got the letter, wasting no time in sending it back out to the P.O. box listed on the bottom.

Artemus,
I'd be more than happy to show you around the place, even if it is just to offset your curiosity. Just let me know when you want to come by and I'll make sure I'm available.

Sincerely,
Vincent
Dimitri
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Dimitri »

He walked through Sea Haven looking for the Hospice sight. "Where the hell is that. I was supposed to help out with the building." He continued to walk through until he saw the sight. He grinned and walked down towards the sight.
Dimitri Locherin. Azillian guard, former Commander of the Huor Ar-Feiniel Battalion.

Post by Guest »

very interesting...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alia Anor Graham
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Missing Help for the Hospice

The front facade was going up quickly. She'd checked on Dimitri several times that day. Always his work was flawless, and she'd return to her own projects with the remainder of the building.

That evening she'd left with a feeling of great accomplishment, and was in awe of Dimitri's skills in stone. She was enjoying working with him, and was looking forward to seeing him in the morning.

The next morning, she was at the site early, and indeed was hoping to see Brother Zed stop by so she could give him the tour of the worksite.

Morning passed into mid morning and no sign of Dimitri.

Lunch came and went, with still no sign of the elf.

Afternoon passed, and he's not come to the construction site, and Alia Anor's mood darkened as she began to worry at his absence.
Alia Anor Graham
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Wood Wright Needed

She stood there glaring at the contractor for the Hospice.

"What do you mean you can't find a decent wood wright???? There HAVE to be good construction people that can put up a timber frame structure that will complement the stone facade of the hospice!"

The general contractor shook his head.

"No, most construction here in Rhydin tends to be done in stone. I can find you stone masons galore, but that's not the skill we need right now."

She couldn't believe that work on the Hospice was nearly halted due to the lack of a wood wright.

"Well, you need to FIND one, and find one quickly! The White Lady will not be pleased if the Hospice fails to be completed on time."

The white robed woman turned on her heel and headed back to the Temple. Brother Zed may be able to help. Someone had to know a good wood wright within a day's ride.
Alia Anor Graham
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Dimitri's decision

The Arena was busy when I arrived. I have not seen it so busy in a very long time. As I walked down the stairs, I was greeted by Brother Vincent, who had only moments before been speaking with Vanion. A chill swept down my spine. Vanion had been very quiet of late, but I do not forget his threats to me for what he considers to be my failure to hold up my end of our bargain. But I didn’t fail him, I had invited him into the Temple. It was not my fault that he’d gotten the word too late to be there for my conversion. It is not my fault that he could not have been present in the room when I shed my old life in favor of my new one.

…”I’ll make sure he stays that way. In return, I don’t want you instigating anything, and that includes coming to the Temple to see Sister Alia Anor.” Were the words I heard from Vinny as I walked into the room.

Vanion gave him a cold look, “Naturally. I do not have time for the more eclectic fun that is instigating the helpless, currently.” Those words send a shiver down my spine. Vanion was not one to forget an oath.

Vincent nodded at the vampiric elf, “I hope so. I’ll let you take your leave now.”

Vincent rose and approached me, enveloping me in a hug, “how good to see you tonight Sister.”

Vanion’s look at me was cold as he pulled his hood over his head, shielding his face from the light as he moved into the waiting darkness. Dragging my gaze back to Vincent, “How are things in your world?”

“Same as always.” Vincent followed Vanion’s progress out of the room. “If he gives you any more problems, let me know.”

I shrugged lightly, “He will try to kill me, it was his threat.”

Vincent frowned, “He better not try, or he’ll find that we in the Temple look after one another.”

I sighed slightly, “He will try Brother Vincent, I do not plan on letting him succeed.” Giving Vincent a quick hug, I proceeded to join Dimitri, whose expression bespoke great pain and suffering this night. When he finally noticed me, he gave me a slight smile, and Vincent sent me off to him, “Go, take care of him, he’s had a rough night.”

I paused, studying him long moments, “hey.” I wanted to give him the chance to set the tone for our conversation tonight.

His answer was dull, nearly lifeless, “hullo’.

“Are you alright?” Concern had to have been written plainly in my face.

“no” His answers were monosyllabic and completely devoid of emotion.

I approached him more closely. “what’s wrong?”

“Vanion”

“Don’t let him upset you Dimitri.” I have no cure for the geas Vanion holds over Dimitri, but I am hoping that by joining us in the Temple, it will put him beyond Vanion’s reach.

“How can’t I? He controls me. I can’t do a damned thing to fight back!” His pain was evident as he acknowledged Vanion’s enslavement of him.

I winced, “avoid him Dimitri.”

“How can I? Whenever I see him my blood begins to boil.”

I reached out to lightly touch him, “Come to the Temple Dimitri, he has never come there.”

He sighed, “I would still see him whenever I go out to duel. Then he would torment me. Threaten me, I have to take it!”

I tried to be soothing, “There is strength in numbers Dimitri, you would have protection.”

He scoffed, “I had that at the Guild.”

I prodded slightly harder, “but you left the guild.”

“Yes, I know.” Sylus chimed up about then, “Once a member always a member, no matter what may change.” Dimitri sighed and looked at the floor sadly.

I leaned lightly against him, “come with me to the Temple, let us provide protection.” He looked up at me. I whispered to him, “we need you Dimitri.”

He nodded silently, at long last he said ok. A wave of relief swept through me. At last! Lily would be pleased. She’d told me to gain Dimitri for our fold, and at last, he’d agreed. “You won’t regret it Dimitri.” I slid my hand into his.

Sylus called to him from a ring, “Dimitri? I tightened my grip on his hand, expecting denouncement yet again from Sylus. “To some of us, you are like family.”

Dimitri squeezed my hand lightly in return and looked at me. “I’m so happy to hear you’ll join us.”

He smiled lightly, “Will you still come with me to Azilla tomorrow?”

I smiled, “of course.”

He kissed my cheek, “Good.”

“When do you wish to depart?”

He thought a moment, “Midday? Are we going to stay in Azilla for the weekend?”

I laughed, “That is what you told me last evening, and I am looking forward to it.”

We made our plans for the weekend, agreeing to see the city first, and then head to the mountains. He shocked me when he said we would travel by Wyvern. I confess I am nervous about that, but he assured me Tel'Ranaemyn was a ”sweetie”.

At length, he needed to depart, and I was left alone in the Arena with people that I either do not know, or have only met marginally.
Alia Anor Graham
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

The Debate Drow Vampire Initiate

It was not long before the vampiress and a Drow friend of hers, who I learned later is called Raevyx, arrived. I have grown used to the snickering and the snide comments around Rhydin for those of us who have embraced the teachings of the Temple, and so Rhaine’s words seemed almost normal, “See what they wear?”

The Drow smirked, “Indeed I do.”

Rhaine gave me a false smile, “I was showing one of my brethren a representative of one of the most popular cults in RhyDin.”

“Mayhap you will allow me to show you the Temple in person,” I offered to them both, though deep down inside I want nothing to do with either the Drow or the vampire, but it would be unseemly for me not to offer when such is offered to one and all.

I nodded at the Drow, but was careful not to approach him too closely. His words were laced with typical Drow derision, “Behind all that white, there lies pure darkness, for white and black go hand in hand.”

I corrected him, “There is only light within the Temple.”

“Light ebbs and flows, light flows into darkness.”

“And is replaced again by the brilliance of light.” I finished for him.

Rhaine smiled, “I doubt anything of pure light would allow me to touch it with my gaze.”

Raevyx was speaking simultaneously, “as I said before, it ebbs and flows, listen before speaking young one.”

I glanced at the Drow, “But we are on the ascension of light sir.”

“Everything that goes up must come down.”

I looked at Rhaine. “You would not get to meet the White Lady, but you are welcome to come see the works we do.” Turning again to Raevyx, “but decent toward the nadir of that travel has not begun.”

“As it descends, it’s velocity increases.”

He is so typically Drow! “I believe the Drow would understand that better than most.”

Rhaine’s smile could only be called a smirk, “The works you do? I have seen the actions of your Temple folks, spreading around laziness and weakness.”

Raevyx grew colder, “You assume far too much.” And Rhaine grinned watching the exchange between us.

“Do I?” I quirked a brow at Raevyx.

He moved with a dark swiftness and sent a spell of illumination at me, bright pink and purple flames wrapped around my body, but almost as quickly I sent his fire back at him, “Scry elsewhere!”

“You claim to accept the light? I just gave you some of mine, yet you reject it?” He cackled a cold sound.

“I accept the light of my choosing, and yes, I do reject your light.” I grew weary of their baiting.

“Faerie fire… bwahahahah, you are such a simple creature,” he fairly chortled.

Calmly, “You may keep your faerie fire.”

Farek’s voice cut into our discussion, “Dealing with these cultists idiots is a grand waste of time, Drow.”

Raevyx looked amused, “I have plenty, my House is covered with it, the best in Brimland, if I do say so myself.”

“Perhaps that is more to your liking Drow. It is not the light I seek.”

He grew serious, “I accept both forms of the light of day, and the darkness of night.”

Rhaine spoke up, “What is the light that you seek, Alia Anor?”

I gazed at her a moment, trying to decide if she wanted a serious answer or not. “I have found my light, I no longer seek.”

“So, what is it?” As she asked, she rested her hand on Raevyx’s shoulder. “Do define please, what is that light that you found?”

“The Teachings of the White Lady,” I replied.

She smirked, “What does she teach?” Raevyx puzzled, “the ‘white lady’?”

I studied Rhaine a moment, “She teaches service, the White Lady is the spiritual leader of the Temple of Divine Light.”

They both looked horrified, “Servitude? Service? So what. Any slave can serve.”

“Good works for humanity is not servitude.’

“Well, you said –service-“ Rhaine objected. Raevyx ever the cynic, “opinion on what good works are….”

I shook my head, “We find value in providing for those less fortunate.”

Rhaine twisted my words, “Ah, you find value in making those less fortunate unlearn whatever they learned and depend upon you.”

Raevyx quipped, “I am less fortunate, so you will provide for me?”

I sighed, “As I told you earlier, you are welcome at the Temple.”

Raevyx began his sermon, “How about you teach them how to provide for themselves instead of providing for them, catching fish for the poor does no good, teaching them how to fish will truly save their lives.” Such words coming from a Drow almost made me laugh. Since when have the Drow ever been interested in helping others?

As patiently as I could, “Some are not capable of such, and must be provided for. Would you have the dying be taught such things? For those whom the hospice will serve, would you have us teach them to fish?”

“Death is only the beginning,” he smirked.

“In death they need no fish.”

“Something I doubt that you have experienced in your young life, you clearly have not crossed over,” he snapped at me. Abruptly he moved toward me, “Then do not assume that you know what happens when death occurs!”

I backed away from him.

Rhaine touched him lightly, “So, your White Lady teaches you to provide for those you consider less fortunate, and what else? What is the ground under this? Why do you help them?”

“Because no one else will.” I told her.

Raevyx was not finished, “and who, exactly, is considered less fortunate?”

I held the Drow’s gaze, “Orphans, the dying, the homeless.”

Raevyx laughed a cold, grating sound, “The ally is their home, they have each other for support. Orphans and homeless are really not that at all, the dying have a far greater experience ahead of them, and far more enlightening.”

Rhaine smirked, “So, just help them? Just waste your effort on someone who would take what you give them, and come to demand from you whenever they need anything again? What is the motivation? Why not just leave them alone?”

“Leaving them alone would be wrong. We need them. They need us.” I told her.

What do you need them for?” Rhaine’s curiosity was peaked.

Raevyx continued to speak simultaneously, and it grew ever more difficult to keep their questions straight. “You assumed that these homeless, these orphans, these dying folk WANT your…. Assistance, How pretentious of you.”

They are not forced to join with us. We force none. We offer, they accept, it’s very simple.” I held his challenging gaze long moments.

“Has anyone ever turned you down?” He simply would not accept that what we do is for the good.

Rhaine added, “But you merely pull them in. They feel gratitude, they think they owe you. So you are just buying them.”

“Many have turned us down, you yourself have done so already,” I told them.

Raevyx cackled, “Again you assumed! I have neither accepted nor denied a visit to your temple.”

I gave him a dubious smirk, “You scoff openly.”

“We have been given two ears and but one mouth, so that we may listen twice, before speaking once, you assume to understand me.”

I challenged him back, “You speak a great deal for one with only one mouth.”

“I listen twice as much as I speak. Rhaine and I have asked you to tell us many things, yet you will not.”

“How can you listen twice as much as you speak when others speak only half as much as you do?” I quirked a brow at him. “Your questions are not honest, they are meant to grill and to intimidate. You are not interested in anything more than ridicule.”

“There you go assuming again,” Raevyx charged me.

“I have offered to prove it. You have been invited.”

“You invite a Drow into a Temple of Light? Are you truly naïve?’

Rhaine told me “I would certainly enjoy taking a look at the Temple of Light, if a vampire can walk in.”

“We invite all. I am not so certain I will show you around, but we have others who would not be averse.” I told her. I want no part of that Drow.

“What is that light that would allow a vampire to walk in and not be annihilated?” Rhaine pondered.

“A light that accepts all,” I told her.

“We feed on lives of others, does that fit into your picture?” she smiled at Raevyx.

“The cycle of life and death is complete then.” I told her.

Raevyx wanted to know how I explained the Undead.

“The stronger feed on the weaker, that is how I explain the undead. The White Lady can complete the cycle for those Undead. Does not the farmer fatten his herd for market?”

Rhaine asked me then, “How would you explain, you are stronger, you are supposed to feed on the weaker, not assist them like you do. Ah, so you fatten them before you… what? Let someone feed on them?”

Sheesh, talk about twisting my words, “By taking care of the weaker, we grow, we succeed.”

“You take care of them, like farmer takes care of cattle? Wonderful, exactly a rational way. But after that, guiding and helping them complete their cycle?”

They twist my meaning that we help the dying by feeding and caring for them, despite the fact that there is no hope for them, and I cannot make them understand that by feeding and caring for those who have no one, we ease their passing. We care for them and feed them despite the fact that they will die in the near future.

Thankfully, Raevyx needed to leave, the light of day was not far off, and thankfully he cannot be within the light of day without suffering.

I was worn out trying to answer all of their questions and straighten out the warps and twists they put into my words. It amazes me that there is such skepticism here in RhyDin for works that to me seem so very kind and logical.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I walked into Arena with Raevyx through the blinding blackness of space warp. After installing the security system in my hideout, I had to use rather peciluar transportation spells to get in and out, and I've spent a few hours talking to my old friend from the Temple of Asmodeus. The half-elven initiate of Divine Light was still at the Arena, and so Raevyx and I decided to have some fun remembering the old days.

Verbal fencing is a sport for anyone serving in Crystal Sect. We enjoyed the spar, until I started feeling the pull of my mental link. The dhoine needed my help... Daytime was coming, and Raevyx couldn't stay to continue bashing. I left in a hurry, never caring about how it would look. Sport is sport, following my word is much more important...
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Sanctuary

Post by Anne »

Walking into the temple Anne left a notice for Vincent.

Dear Vincent,

If you have the time I would like to speak with you about acquiring a vessel to travel to Kurnium. It would also be nice to see you again as we did not speak much last night. I will be staying at the Temple for a while, just ask one of the workers for me.

-Anne

She then requested a room to herself, for solitude and contemplation. Anne was not to be disturbed for any reason. Leaving explicit instructions that only Rhaine Dark Silver, Azjah von Drachen Walde, and Vincent could visit her she entered the room. Anne took off the sheets from the bed and spread them on the floor. It was just like being on sea, except for the lack of waves.
Anne Ellis Feren
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

The letter was delivered to the Temple shortly before noon, Addressed to Anne Ellis.

~ Hey,
It's Artemus, I was wondering if you were going to be in the Annex tonight? I'm open to go sailing for the next two weeks or so and need to talk to you about hiring a ship, unless you do not all ready have one that is? I visited Vinny as well, just to let you know, and he seems to be in better spirits than I have seen him in, in a long time. Well get back to me as soon as you can.
~

::at the bottom of the letter was a return P.O. Box ::
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Anne »

Anne left the room for the first time that day to get a bite to eat and take a break from the same four walls. While she was enjoying her meal a young lady came to her and delivered the letter. Making her way to the library Anne acquired a pen and some parchement.

Artemus,

I will pay a brief visit to the Arena tonight, and I do have a fairly large Schooner. It can be managed easily with the two of us and it'll be good to teach you with. We can work out the rest of the details when I arrive at the Arena.

The missive was sent away immediately and Anne returned to her room.
Anne Ellis Feren
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Turned away

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

I rose early, planning to go to the Temple to seek out Anne, but needed to get some things done at the office first. Eoin was waiting for my early departure. We went to the office, and I worked from 6 until 8 am, and then headed to the Temple.

The Temple sits in a strategic location in down town RhyDin. Eoin and I parked and approached the front entry of the Temple complex. I was met by a white robed figure who identified herself as Sister Alia Anor. She wanted to know how she could help me, and I explained that I had received word that a friend of mine was here, and that I would like very much to see her. Anne Xile.

The Sister bade us wait in the Common Room, and she departed. It took some time before she returned, explaining that Anne was not in her room, and that she did not know where she had gone.

This news was troubling. Rhaine had voiced concern that the Temple would seek to convert Anne during this time, and now I was not being allowed to see her, for whatever reason. Valid or not.

I left my business card with the Sister, and Eoin and I departed.

I tried again later that day, with the same result. I can only hope that Anne is alright, and that she will turn up soon.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

Vincent sat in the citadel, mulling over events which had been going on lately. He had been purposely keeping a low profile, only making a few token appearences. There had certainly been enough events going on recently to warrent close attention, but it did not seem prudent to get actively involved. He closed his eyes and went down the list of things in his mind.

Vanion and Dimitri....This little soap opera has been amusing, especially given Alia's closeness to Dimitri. Still, this was one of the more minor things going on. He still thought of Dimitri as nothing more than a pawn, and even if he was a spy, he could be easily disposed of. Vanion on the other hand, while it was unlikely that he would get involved in Temple affairs, would be a much tougher opponent. Unless he did something extremely stupid after being warned the other day, it was probably best to leave him to his own plans.

Anne....She still thought of him as the man he used to be. At least she was one of the few that still accepted him after he joined the Temple. Friends like her were hard to come by these days. He just hoped that she didn't get involved in things too much. He'd hate to see her get hurt, whether it be by someone else or himself.

Rhaine....She's one that bears almost constant watching. She was critical of the Temple from the beginning, and of all who joined it. Making matters worse, it seems she had a new drow friend helping her cause trouble. He'd also overheard that she had left the tutilage of Xenograg. If this was true, it probably meant that she'd be making some moves very soon. Most likely, she'd need to end up in an accident sooner or later.

Alais and Caleb.....They'd been quiet as well as of late. He had heard some rumors about Alais getting in some trouble, but nothing could be confirmed. Best to let them sweat a bit, keep expecting the retaliation that most likely would never come from Alia's kidnapping. In this waiting game, he would not make the first move.

Sylus and Artemus.....He had seen little of Sylus as well, most likely due to Alais' circumstances. And Artemus...poor Artemus. He'd been invited over to the temple to other day, and had accepted the invitation. He had been shown around all the non-important areas, and was respectful of the fact that there were some places that he was not allowed to go. Little did he know that some posturing about their ability to create duplicates would prove useful. He was limited to just a few, while Artemus could make a seemingly infinite amount, given enough energy. The error lied in letting him make physical contact with one of them and explaining the concept behind the making of them. It was a different manner, certainly one he would not have been able to copy before regaining the title of archmage. But now that it was possible, it could be a useful trick if he ever wanted to make him into a patsy.

Daigotsu and the Bloodspeakers.... He used to see them as pompous idiots full of bluster and little in the way of actual power. Then they had to go and injure Mystic. He liked the little girl. She saw the world with open eyes, and could grow into great things. He took her injury very personally. The Bloodspeakers were going to pay one way or another. But until he studied that blood sample he managed to get from Daigotsu during their duel, he lacked a method of attack.

Xenograg....The great Liberator himself. Word was that he was going off to help with some war. The good news was that this would keep his focus off of the Temple for the time being. The better news was that this would be a great time to spring something on him, directly or indirectly. Most likely he would err on the side of caution and simply watch and learn. But if the opportunity was there, he wouldn't hesitate to make his life miserable.

So many things going on. Loose ends to tie up, plans to hatch, people and problems to dispose of. It was going to be a busy couple of weeks ahead.

Return to “The Temple of Divine Light”