PLAY – Deep Healing

A figure whose lineage and destiny are as intertwined with the cosmos as the stars themselves.

Moderator: Vincent Veneficus

Vincent Veneficus
Adventurer
Adventurer

PLAY – Deep Healing

Post by Vincent Veneficus »

Ila Chase
Opening portals with magical sword and incantations weren't the only ways to get around. She'd never thought much about her way of shadow stepping. From one point of darkness to another..to another, as long as she knew where point B was. A blind step could land her in an empty space between here and there, or lost in some shadowy hell for the rest of forever. Neither of those options ever sounded all that appealing, even on her darkest days.

Storm clouds hung dark and heavy in the sky, bloated with rain. Thunder rumbled right through her bones as she stepped from the shadows that lined the now decimated land where her borrowed cabin had been. Even with the rain, bits of debris still burned and eldritch horrors charred to crisps lay scattered. She had half expected them to still be waiting there, hoping for N'ghfth's return. Only she was stupid enough to go back, but there was nothing terrifying waiting as far as she could tell.

Ila didn't own much or care to own much, but there were a couple of trinkets and duffle bag full of clothes she might have liked to see again. Even without poking though the wreckage, she knew that bag was lost. Clothes were easily replaceable, but those trinkets? Irreplaceable. "Damnit.."

Careful steps carried her to the flattened, still smoking spot where the cabin had stood. One boot covered toe poked around here and there, knocking pieces of wood out of the way as she moved. You should have grabbed them..

A sigh. "Mm..I didn't know we'd be dropping a mini nuke. It's fine..it doesn't matter." Yet she continued digging around even as the words left her mouth. That was a lie and her shadow daemon knew it. There's nothing shameful in holding on to memories.

A short, annoyed chuckle pushed past her lips. "I'm not holding on to anything...they..they could have been worth money." More lies. The only two physical things she had left to remind her that, for a very short time, she was happy and loved, were gone. Probably melted into the earth beneath her feet. The realization stung more than she thought it would. You're allowed to be upset.

"Enough psychotherapy, okay? I'm fine." So far from fine. "It's going to be a bitch getting new clothes.." In her mind she heard an exasperated sigh and a ruffle if feathers. It made her smile, even if it was fleeting. Ila ignored the rain soaking through her and continued to rummage around, too stubborn to simply give up.

And who didn't like a good thunderstorm?

Vincent Veneficus
Vincent emerged from a nearby puddle, the water swirling around him as he stepped into the decimated landscape where Ila now rummaged through the remnants of what had been a borrowed cabin. His arrival was marked by the graceful convergence of elemental magic, a testament to the many ways one could traverse the vast distances of the world, or indeed, worlds. His form solidified from the mist, a reminder of the fluidity and power inherent in his craft.

Approaching Ila, he observed her actions quietly for a moment, noting the frustration and the resigned determination as she sifted through the charred debris. It was clear that she was searching for something more meaningful than mere possessions.

"Magic," he began, his voice carrying over the sound of the rumbling thunder and the patter of the rain, "is one of the most devastating forces in the universe. It shapes lands, fates, and lives, often leaving scars too deep to see." His gaze was sympathetic, yet piercing.

Ila Chase
She paused in her rummaging when he spoke, offering a small glanced over her leather clad shoulder at him. "Yeah...I can tell." The destruction spread far wider than just a small berth around the cabin. "I was just..checking to see if anything didn't get burnt to a crisp."

At this point she was waterlogged, black hair soaked flat to her head and the leather jacket she wore was slick with rain, doing little to keep her dry. Ila stood, dusting her hands off against the thighs of her black pants. "I wasn't out here to cause any trouble. Scout's honor." So why did she feel like she got caught red handed? She raised those hands as if she needed to prove she wasn't armed or covered in blood.

Which she wasn't.

"Were you checking to see if any of those things were lurking around?" She didn't mean to look sad, it was quite possible she didn't know her usual glare didn't have quite the same oomph that it usually did. Ila would have been horrified to know how distraught she actually looked in that moment.

Vincent Veneficus
Vincent listened as Ila explained her presence, noting the resignation in her tone and the way the rain plastered her hair to her head, accentuating the somber mood of their surroundings. "Divine energy," he responded, his voice reflecting the depth of his experience, "is not unlike elemental fire. It purifies, but it also consumes indiscriminately. What we consider cleansing, others might see only as destruction."

As she stood and dusted off her hands, a gesture that seemed as much about clearing away her concerns as the physical debris, he observed the implicit defensiveness in her posture.

Vincent shook his head slightly, offering a small reassuring smile to soften the edges of the situation. "I didn't come here expecting to find any remnants of those dark entities," he assured her. "My magic—while necessary—was harsh, and the wilds here did not deserve the injustice wrought upon them. I came to mend, not just the land, but the disruption caused to its natural state."

His gaze was gentle, understanding, as he took in her sad expression, one that didn't quite mask the distress underlying her usual stern demeanor. "Nature often heals itself, but sometimes it needs a little help," he continued, gesturing towards the charred earth. "Just as we do."

Ila Chase
"And consume it did." Another glance around her feet, certain the bedroom used to be where she was standing. It was pointless, like trying to find a needle in a haystack, or however the saying went. Carefully she removed herself from the debris of the cabin, wood and glass crunching under foot as she did.

While his gaze was gentle, it made her uncomfortable. She knew he was observant and hiding how she was really feeling wouldn't be that easy. She shouldn't have been feeling anything at all. So why did she feel like she was suffering such a great loss?

Even a god couldn't snuff out every last speck of humanity inside her, apparently.

Green eyes shifted away, glancing out at the woods around them. Even the trees that hadn't been destroyed were scorched and dying. There was no way in hell she felt bad for a bunch of trees and grass, too. "Right. Well.." Her hands were stuffed into the pockets of her jacket, nervously. "I should leave you to that then..especially if you're about to get all glowy again."

Vincent Veneficus
As Ila cautiously moved away from the remains of the cabin, Vincent noted the resignation in her voice and the careful way she navigated through the remnants. His gaze softened further, understanding the depth of loss that even the seemingly insignificant can hold.

"There's no need for further divine magic here," Vincent assured her, his voice calm and even. "What this land needs now is not a forceful intervention, but a gentle coaxing back to life. Aether and elemental energies will suffice."

As Ila mentioned leaving, perhaps uncomfortable with the prospect of witnessing another display of his power, Vincent offered a small, reassuring smile. "You don't have to go," he said, though he respected her need for space. "I'm not planning anything grandiose. Just a little help to speed the healing process."

He then knelt on the soft, muddy ground, his fingers digging into the earth. As he closed his eyes, a faintly glowing green energy began to seep from his fingertips, coiling into the scorched soil like wild vines seeking water. The energy was subtle, enhancing the natural healing processes of the earth rather than imposing a new order upon it.

This gentle restoration was a far cry from the fierce purifying light that had previously scorched the earth. It was nurturing, a soft whisper of life encouraging the damaged ecosystem to mend itself, to sprout anew from the ashes of old destruction. Here, in this quiet act of renewal, Vincent demonstrated a different aspect of his power—one of restoration and balance rather than unadulterated destruction.

Ila Chase
Awkwardly, she lingered where she was. The rain didn't seem to bother her, if anything she preferred this weather over anything else. "I could stick around and watch." And maybe dig around a little more once she stopped feeling so..much.

She watched him kneel, his magic much more gentle this time as it danced from his fingertips into the ruined ground around them. This didn't make her shadows run off in a panic, nor Styx, who had decided to come out of hiding for a moment to watch. Wisps of smoke danced from his feathers as he materialized on her shoulder, glowing white not eyes watching curiously.

Ila lifted a hand and gave him a scratch behind his head, tendrils of shadows dissipating into the breeze as she did. "I was rude to you when we first met.." Ok and? She shifted, glancing side long at her daemon who nudged with a beak. "Sorry for that. It..it'll happen again, so sorry in advance too. I would say I don't mean to be, but that would br a lie."

Vincent Veneficus
Vincent remained kneeling, his fingers buried in the soft, muddy earth as Ila decided to stay and watch. The gentle magic continued to flow from his hands, a quiet contrast to the destructive forces previously unleashed. His focus was on the healing energies, but he listened as Ila spoke, acknowledging her earlier rudeness and her somewhat grudging apology.

"Never in nearly a thousand years have I been bothered by someone's rudeness," Vincent responded, his voice calm and infused with a hint of amusement. "People often assume that those with great power are self-serving and arrogant. And often, they are not entirely wrong." His expression turned reflective as he considered his own experiences. "I have lost more than I have gained in my life, and have nearly sacrificed myself for others more times than I can count."

As he spoke, the scorched earth around them subtly began to change. Tiny sprouts pushed through the soil, tender and green, as the nurturing energy he channeled encouraged regeneration. The transformation was slow but undeniable, a testament to the resilience of nature and the efficacy of his more subdued approach to magic.

"I understand that actions speak louder than apologies or assumptions," he continued, looking up from the ground to meet her gaze. "So your caution was warranted, and no offense was taken."

"As we heal this land together," Vincent said, gesturing to the burgeoning life around them, "perhaps we can also mend any misunderstandings between us. Nature teaches us patience and resilience; it's a good lesson for all of us." His smile was gentle, inviting, as he continued his work, the elemental magic weaving a tapestry of renewal across the devastated landscape.

Ila Chase
"Then I'll have to try harder next time." Her tone was playful this time, a soft chuckle creeping out and just barely audible over a clap of thunder and lightening that lit the sky into a brilliant flash of pinkish white. "The good guys have never been kind to me." As if some how she deserved kindness when she was being a menace. "I've never been kind back either."

Ila's words drifted as she watched the grass begin to grow anew. It was fascinating to watch and she nearly told him just as much. "I made assumptions about you that were wrong.." Slow steps closer and she crouched down beside him in the mud for a better look. Styx hopped from her shoulder and followed the flow of magic with flapping wings.

"Patience..now there's something I lack." Despite being a few hundred years old, she was still very much young and had a lot to learn.

Vincent Veneficus
Vincent smiled faintly at Ila's playful threat to try harder next time, the soft chuckle mingling with the distant rumble of thunder. "I've never considered myself purely good," he admitted as another flash of lightning briefly illuminated the sky. "I exist as I am, neither entirely good nor entirely bad. I am responsible for as many lost lives as those I've saved—a reality many who wear the hero's mantle would hesitate to accept or admit."

As Ila acknowledged her previous assumptions about him, Vincent glanced at her, appreciating her candor. "Assumptions are often based on past experiences or interactions. It's not entirely misguided to assume most who wield magic might be arrogant—it's a trope that exists for a reason." His tone was understanding, devoid of any judgment, as he continued to channel his magic into the earth.

"Patience is something that often eludes the best of us," Vincent responded, acknowledging her self-reflection. "Especially those who live as long as we do. There's always more to learn."

Around them, the earth responded vibrantly to his efforts. Flowers began to bloom, spreading color where there had only been char and ruin moments before. The grass grew lush and green, and the air filled with the fresh scent of new life. The former devastation was swiftly being erased, replaced by a display of nature's resilient beauty.

Vincent's magic flowed gently but persistently, his control precise as he restored balance to the damaged ecosystem. "Every act of healing," he murmured, almost to himself, "is also a lesson in growth—not just for the earth, but for us as well." The scene around them, a vivid testament to renewal, mirrored the potential for change and forgiveness in their own interactions.

Ila Chase
Ila sat back and watched, listening to him with more interest than she had the first couple times they met. She wasn't sure if she liked him yet or not, but she didn't hate him and that meant something. "I.. was looking for something important to me. A couple things. I just didn't realize I'd miss them if they were gone." Two things she rarely looked at or touched and their absence felt heavy in her chest. "Funny how that works."

The budding growth around them was beautiful, even in the midst of the storm. There were so many things she took for granted and she didn't know why her head was so full of them all. Those daemons weren't as stuffed on fear as they were the day before, and she felt the screws slipping

"I don't know why I told you that. There's much more going on and I'm out here worrying about jewelry. " Shaking her head, she stood and didn't bother trying to wipe the mud away. "Shiny trinkets are inconsequential. All melted and gone. It's okay. "

But she still moved back towards the cabins remains and began digging around again.

Vincent Veneficus
Vincent listened as Ila shared her thoughts, her reflections tinged with a newfound realization of loss. Her admission that she was searching for items that mattered more than she had anticipated revealed a side of her that resonated with him. It wasn't just about the physical objects, but what they represented—a connection to a past that suddenly felt important.

As the area around them bloomed back to life under his guidance, the vibrant growth painting a stark contrast against the stormy backdrop, Vincent saw an opportunity not just to mend the land but perhaps to offer a semblance of solace to Ila as well.

When she dismissed her concerns as inconsequential, yet moved back to the remains to search again, Vincent understood the contradiction all too well—the dismissal of something deeply felt yet ostensibly trivial.

Standing up from the muddy earth, his robes soaked and stained but his concern elsewhere, he called out to Ila gently, "You might want to step back a little."

With a deep breath, he stretched out one hand, fingers tracing intricate symbols of Aethertongue in the air. Each symbol glowed with a soft light, briefly illuminating his strained expression as he channeled his energy into the spell. It was a complex process, one that drew not just on his power but on his very essence, causing him to grunt in discomfort, even perhaps pain.

As the symbols held suspended in the air, the cabin's remains began to shift. Slowly, as if being coaxed back through time, the debris reassembled itself into the form of the cabin before the blast. The magic was not showy, but the effort was immense, evidenced by Vincent stumbling forward slightly as the spell concluded, clearly drained by the exertion as tendrils of divine essence escaped his form and dissapated into the air around him.

His heavy breaths filled the brief silence that followed the cabin's restoration. It was a subtle reminder of the costs associated with such magic, even for someone of his considerable abilities. He steadied himself, leaning on a nearby tree for a moment, then straightened up, looking over at Ila with a faint smile.

"Your trinkets should be where you left them," he said, his voice steady despite the fatigue, "consider it paying a debt forward." His eyes held a mix of exhaustion and satisfaction, hoping his efforts had not only repaired the cabin but also provided some comfort to Ila in the face of her expressed loss.

Ila Chase
With some confusion she stepped away from the cabin. Her gaze drawing from him to the home as it began to piece itself back together. His discomfort wasn't lost on her and as the puzzle pieces worked themselves back into place, Ila found her way back to Vincent's side.

She was there when he stumbled, reaching out to help steady him with a deepening frown. "Are you okay?" Confident the tree would keep him upright, Ila stepped away and glanced back towards the cabin.

Even before he had a chance to answer she was hurrying towards the front steps. They felt a little less creaky now, only giving a slight groan of disapproval as the bound her way up them. There, in the bedroom was her black duffle bag, worn out and stuffed full just like it had been. More importantly, tucked away in the side pocket was an old gold ring of dainty flowers and intricate filigree and a small, simple gold necklace with a delicate ruby dangling from it.

So simple, but so important to her.

Ila pulled them both free and clutched them to her chest. With no watchful eyes she gave herself a moment to tear up before tucking them away again. That was enough of that for today. With the bag thrown across her body, she emerged from the cabin much less forlorn than she had been moments before.

"Thank you.." Simply said, no show of it. Ila didn't move in for a hug or a hand shake, but her smile said enough.

Vincent Veneficus
"I'll be fine. It's just been quite some time since I've cast any of the more forbidden magics. I forgot how taxing they can be on the body."

To her thanks Vincent responded with a nod, his smile mirroring her own—a quiet acknowledgment of the small yet significant victory they had both shared.

He remained by the tree, allowing himself a moment to recover as he watched Ila's renewed ease. The simple magic of restoration had not only reconstructed the physical structure of the cabin but had also helped mend the emotional rupture the loss had created for her.

This outcome, though draining for him, was a poignant reminder of why he wielded his powers: not for glory, but for the tangible differences, big and small, that his interventions could make in the lives of others.

As the rain continued to fall gently around them, cleansing the air and the renewed earth, Vincent felt a quiet satisfaction. Here, amidst the storm and recovery, was a reaffirmation of his path—a path marked by burdens and gifts alike, each as challenging as they were rewarding.

"I'm sorry to cut this short, but I hear the name of the Aetherwalker being called, so... duty calls." Vincent offered a faint, if unsteady bow as he called down a Aetherbridge, the shimmering pillar of prismatic energy piercing the stormy sky. He offered Ila a genuine smile before stepping into the pillar.

In an instant the pillar shot into the sky, carrying Vincent towards the source of the clarion call, and to certain danger once more.

Ila Chase
Ila gave a small wave, he was gone long before she had a chance to say goodbye. As the glimmer of the aetherbridge faded, she took a seat on the porch steps to sort her thoughts. Her shadows collected at her feet, hungry and pleased to see her feeling better. "I know you're hungry. Soon..I promise."

Night would be here soon and she didn't want to leave N'ghfth alone. She suspected it wasn't a matter of if nightmare creatures would find him, but at what point once the sun went down that they would. They wouldn't always have a luxury of a powerful mage to help them.

Sighing, she pushed herself to her feet and stepped through the shadows of the cabin and headed back.
Time slips away, leaving me behind. Connections fade, but the loneliness endures. I walk through centuries while others live and die in moments.

Return to “The Aetherwalker”