DoM Team Event May/June

A place for the players and staff to communicate, share ideas, report bugs, make suggestions, and build our community.

Moderator: Staff

Would you consider participating in a DoM team competition?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Yes
67%
Maybe (if you select this option, please reply with the factors for/against your decision)
22%
No
11%

Total votes: 9
Tippletoe
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Cheer Captain

DoM Team Event May/June

Post by Tippletoe »

I know Madness is just about to begin, but I've been giving some thought to running a team event for DoM since we have the Iron Fists League for DoF and the Round Robin Cup for DoS. It would most likely happen in May/June.

Are you interested in a DoM team competition? [Note: teams will likely consist of 2-3 players]
@tippytop

A Tip-Top Gnome from Tip-to-Toe: I'm Your Tippletoe!
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Re: DoM Team Event May/June

Post by Delahada »

Yes, I am interested, but I selected maybe because I would like more information in advance. You seem to have an idea of what you want to do already, given the stipulation that teams would likely consist of 2-3 players. I'm wondering why such small teams? DoM already has the Twilight Guilds, and personally I would like to see something that incorporates that and allows us to use our already existing team, and perhaps encourages others to create their own teams of at least 5 as well. Any further insight would be appreciated.
Reign
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Reign »

I've wanted to see a team event come back for DoM since Ragnarok. That was a lot of fun and operated on a TDL framework. I don't know if I'll have the time to participate but I'd like to see something come back!
Tippletoe
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Cheer Captain

Post by Tippletoe »

Delahada wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:11 pm I'm wondering why such small teams?
Player base size is the reason. We only get 3-4 teams for the RRC and IFL gets 4-6 with several alts in play.

While I have considered a TDL approach, having done TDL I don't think we have the active player base size for that structure. If we get over 15 people expressing interest in this event, I'd be more likely to consider teams of 4-5 people.

I do have some ideas in mind, I wouldn't pitch it if I didn't have a general concept, but I'm also willing to adjust based on the level of interest and what the DoM community wants to see. I'm personally interested in exploring teams of 2-3 since I think they are easier to make and schedule matches; but this is for the community so if the consensus is fewer but larger teams I'd follow that input.
@tippytop

A Tip-Top Gnome from Tip-to-Toe: I'm Your Tippletoe!
XanthVanBokkelen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by XanthVanBokkelen »

Yes, I'm interested. I like Sal's idea of having teams up to 5 members, but I understand the participation concerns as well. I'd hope to see a team event like this spur some interest in the Twilight Guilds also.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I'm interested. I'm going to echo Sal in saying I would need more notice for a large scale event. I have several things coming up soon.

It was pointed out there are two existing teams in Twilight Guilds. Participation for that was a minimum of 3 and max of 5. I don't think creating a situation where players are being told they must break up an existing team (regardless of what sport that team is for) to take part is fair nor will it encourage participation. It might, however, encourage teams that exist for events like IFL to take a shot and sign up.

Here's a thought, why not gather the names of the interested parties and have a lottery to choose a random two player match up for a team? This might encourage players to interact with those they don't often get the chance to. I'm sure some people reading that and see it as a contradiction to the above. A lottery, for lack of a better term, would create an entirely new team with a learning experience ahead. It's a bit like the random Boss events that Royal has done in the past, those that were present and interested when they popped that boss into chat took part. Others, could opt out.
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

I can understand the team size should there be a smaller interest pool. One suggestion to larger teams could be to field 2 or 3 sub-groups, much like how Team Dirty did in the Iron Fist League: Dirty Pink and Dirty Black. A split will allow for a higher chance to see the group as a whole make it to the finals and/or win.

PrlUnicorn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:23 pm It was pointed out there are two existing teams in Twilight Guilds. Participation for that was a minimum of 3 and max of 5.

The minimum to start a guild is 3 members but there isn't a max. The guilds roaster can be filled by any willing person (or those a guild master actively recruits into their guild). It's meant to be more of a social group. Make a guild, duel in any of the sports or anything else social wise, and make a name for your group sort of thing.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Royal wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:03 pm
PrlUnicorn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:23 pm It was pointed out there are two existing teams in Twilight Guilds. Participation for that was a minimum of 3 and max of 5.

The minimum to start a guild is 3 members but there isn't a max. The guilds roaster can be filled by any willing person (or those a guild master actively recruits into their guild). It's meant to be more of a social group. Make a guild, duel in any of the sports or anything else social wise, and make a name for your group sort of thing.
Thanks for the clarification on the numbers.

I'd really like to see a team version of a Megacast if that's even possible. Rules and calling would be a bear, though!
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Royal wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:03 pm I can understand the team size should there be a smaller interest pool. One suggestion to larger teams could be to field 2 or 3 sub-groups, much like how Team Dirty did in the Iron Fist League: Dirty Pink and Dirty Black. A split will allow for a higher chance to see the group as a whole make it to the finals and/or win.
That's a great idea and one I hadn't considered, which I should have. Thanks for the reminder. That was a really great year in IFL. :)

Overall, I would love to see a team dueling event for DoM that becomes a recurring thing, too. Looking forward to seeing more information come our way, and really hoping for a lot of interest.
Amaris
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Amaris »

I might be interested, factors mostly on when and what my work IRL life is like. Currently things are chaotic even before and after my birthday so I will have to see

Return to “Community Townhall”