Burning the Midnight Oil

Posts pertaining to the Governor and other public works. Moderator will pass on to the next gov.

Moderator: Partly Cloudy

Strawberry
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of Air & Darkness

Burning the Midnight Oil

Post by Strawberry »

January 29th - Late

Sleep, it was an elusive thing as of late, but that hadn't stopped her from spending as much time as possible in bed in the wake of returning home from their "trip" to see her mother. So when her phone rang late Saturday night, she was already awake, staring at the wall in the dark. The glow of the screen set on a bedside table rattled with a custom ringer that immediately prompted a sigh and a roll of her eyes. Reaching, she snagged the device, tapped the accept button and immediately put it on speaker instead of drawing it to her ear.

"Peyton, something better be on fire--," Karma began.

"Okay... slow down. Breathe a moment and start from the beginning."

"Four districts... what about the others? Evacuating... got it... do we know who did it?"

"...Helpful. Where's Jackson Payne? Isn't this his job?"

"Ah... fuck. Okay... okay..."

By that time, Karma was halfway out of bed, wrapping herself in a silken robe and slipping her feet into squishy grey slippers.

"Get a security detail over to whatever hospital he's at. I want to know the moment he's good to talk. In the meantime... forward me that list of contact info for all of the ministers."

A tap of a button on a remote turned on the nearest television. Just a few flipped channels later, she had an aerial view of the city as reported by one of the new stations lucky enough to have a helicopter at their disposal.

"Deploy the roombas foremost. I have no idea what we're defending, but if they can be put to work, put them to work. I'll get in touch with Jaycy to see about warding the remaining buildings."

"Yeah... relief aid will be needed. That should be within Anya's wheelhouse. Do me a favor and get in touch with Ministers Ilnaren and Adia about mitigation and preservation efforts for infrastructure. Don't need this shit getting out of hand."

Karma slumped into a chair, watching the news report unfold.

"Of course they want a statement. Shit is actively on fire and they want a fucking statement. I hate the press. No, that's not our statement. Uh, let them know we'll have something by morning. Set whatever time you think is reasonable. That'll give us time to get in touch with the rest of the Ministry and get relief efforts in motion. I want a body count and a situation report as soon as whichever agency is leading has one."

Was it too late at night for coffee? Seemed like it might be one of those nights where it was necessary.

"Ah... uh... yeah... I'm... here. I'm okay... yeah, really, I promise. Doing my best. Thanks for asking."

"I appreciate it, Peyton. Could you send over some Rhybux? Have the feeling it's going to be a long night."

"Thanks. Talk soon."

Hanging up, she let the news drone in the background of her thoughts for no more than sixty seconds before she leaned to take a flip phone out of the bedside table. A single button pressed, she held the phone to her ear and let it the necessary two times to get what she was looking for.

"Yeah, it's me. Seen the news?"

"Ugly, whatever it is. Forecast is calling for rain, maybe that'll help."

"Mm, you're right. Not calling to talk about the weather. How long would it take to deploy the Deadmen?"

"Quick turnaround. I'll take it. Protection and patrol, primarily. Engagement if needed, big reward if they get their hands on whoever is responsible. Double if they bring 'em to me alive."

"Thanks, BD. Til next time."

The flip phone was closed and deposited back in the drawer for safe keeping. Dizzy's Deadmen would take to the streets within the hour under the premise of protecting area businesses and yes, even Watch buildings. It had been some time since they saw this sort of action, she was certain they would be eager.

Karma, on the other hand, was none too pleased.

((Tied to this playable.))
Strawberry
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of Air & Darkness

Re: Burning the Midnight Oil

Post by Strawberry »

January 30th - 9 AM

The scene; the ruined facade of the Dockside Watch Headquarters. Smoke lingers over the district and firefighters remain on standby to treat hotspots and flares as needed. With an outbreak of additional violence after the initial attacks, everyone is tense, on high alert. The same could be said for the throng of people gathered behind a hastily constructed podium on the front steps of the Watchhouse. Among them, familiar and well known faces like Governor Karma Armstrong and her fiance slash security head, Caleb Feren. A well dressed young woman and a sharply dressed man wait with them, conversing in low tones as reporters and bystanders alike gather for the press conference. When the time comes, it is the man who peels away to begin the conference. He steps up to the podium and leans in to adjust the microphone to a comfortable height.

"Good morning. Thank you for gathering here this morning. My name is Ureshiiryūō, Press Secretary to the Governor. Before we take questions, we would like to begin by offering our condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their life. At this time, the current death roll exceeds one hundred eighty souls, with at least five minors counted amongst the dead. Eleven Watchpersons are currently confirmed deceased, dozens are being treated in area hospitals for a range of injuries, and several others are missing outright. Investigations in these seemingly coordinated attacks are ongoing and we know very little at this time. But what we do know is that this is not a situation we are taking lightly. This is a mass casualty event orchestrated by unknown persons, but let it be known that it will not go unpunished. Authorities are actively working to identify those responsible and the Governor's Office will be offering any resources the Watch may need in order to accomplish this. If you have information about last night's tragedy, we encourage you to report this information to your nearest Watch precinct. For those who need or want anonymity, an anonymous, toll-free number has been set up to collect tips. Tips leading to the apprehension of the terrorists responsible may result in a monetary reward." Ureshiiryūō paused to breathe, looking over the crowd before looking back to Karma. She gave him a nod and stepped up to the podium. He moved aside to permit her space, tugging the microphone down for her benefit. Immediately the questions began, hollered from all angles by reporters and civilians alike.

"Hold your questions. I'm not here to answer them." She began bluntly. "What I am here for today is to say 'what the actual [censored] is wrong with you?' I don't know who thought this was a good idea or that it would accomplish something great, but you were wrong. Instead, all you've accomplished is bringing the community together for a common cause. Look, I know the police are easy targets and the inmates sitting in their jails aren't usually innocent either. But that doesn't give anyone the right to play judge, jury, and executioner. Because if it did, whoever did this is next on the chopping block and deserves death just as much. That said, we are not an eye-for-an-eye city, luckily for whomever did this, because if we were, I would take great joy in being the one to ensure you get what you deserve. You have no right to kill, to maim, to destroy these buildings. I don't give a [censor] if you hate what they stand for. I'm no fan of the Watch, this is no secret. I have my history with them, I've done my bad [censored], which people love to remind me of every opportunity they get. But you know what? All I'm going to say on it is that I'm well aware of what it takes to exert might over a people through fear, and unlike whoever did this, I have accomplished it. Do not test me, I have no patience for your bull[censored] today, tomorrow, or anytime soon. If you know what's good for you, you will either get far, far away from here or you will turn yourself in, because if we have to bring you in, it isn't going to be pretty. For the rest of you out there, ya know, I'm not one for snitching, but if you see or know something, say something. Don't let innocent people die because you didn't want to say something was sus. As Ryu mentioned, there is an anonymous tip line to protect your identity while also helping the community. For those with philanthropic leanings, please keep an eye out for ways you can give to the community or contact our Ministry of Philanthropy. For anyone needing aid, we are here for you, and if you have any trouble at all, please reach out to the Governor's Office directly. Now, if you all don't mind, I have the families of eleven dead Watchpeople that I need to visit."

The questions flew, but Karma stepped away from the podium, splitting her entourage with a step between so that they could fold in behind her, shielding her from the shouted questions and comments while the entire group moved inside the ruined Watchhouse. All reporters received a release that recapped the information given along with contact information that they could share with the people of the city.

Return to “Governor's Office”