From Beyond The Tomb

The Brighter The Light, The Deeper The Shadow - Jay Kristoff

Moderators: Elessaria, Connar Valdor

Connar Valdor
Adventurer
Adventurer

No rest for the weary

Post by Connar Valdor »

"So, Jacques Le Vengeur has brought his sword and wrath to our abbey?" The friar smiled as he motioned to Connar to take a seat at the large wooden table. "Please, sit, you are safe within these wall, mon fils."

"I assure you, brother, I am no threat to you nor the peace in the abbey. I came to...to rest." Connar lowered himself into the chair, leaning into the high back of the wooden chair.

The friar chuckled, "Rest? Of all the places you could lay your head, you sought out this crumbling abode?"

Connar smiled, brushing his fingers light over the cut running along his jaw, assuring himself that it was not bleeding anew. "Perhaps rest isn't exactly what I need or seek, but any time spent away from civilization is a treasure to me."

The friar gave a slow nod as he leaned forward, his fingers lacing under his chin. Bushy gray eyebrows lowered over bright blue eyes. "And what of Rhydin and the rest you find there? Has it of a sudden lost its lustre or have you lost the way?"
Connar Valdor
Adventurer
Adventurer

Drawing on the past

Post by Connar Valdor »

Connar could feel his jaw drop open as the friar mentioned Rhydin. He rose quickly from the chair, his hand dropping to the hilt at his side as he cast his eyes to the shadows and round about the room, wondering if he had once again stumbled into a trap.

"Du calme, du calme, mon ami. There is none here but me, and I will do you no harm. Please sit." The friar pleaded with a calm reassuring tone. "I have been waiting a very long time for your return."The friar turned the large book on the table and pushed it in front of Connar.

As he looked from the friar to the book, there on the pages were drawings and sketches of a man. As they came into focus, Connar could see himself on the ancient inked pages.

The friar's voice broke the long silence. "Oui, that is you, mon fils. Friar Pascal drew them when you last visited our abbey - he was quite talented, was he not?"

It had been centuries since Connar had last visited the Abbey de Baume. Friar Pascal had discovered Connar in the library while the warrior was bringing scrolls from the fallen keep of Montesoire. Over the course of several days in the abbey, Connar had sought counsel from the wise friar. He had assumed the friar was copying script during their many discussion. To his surprise, the friar had been drawing his likeness. The vow of secrecy seemed to have been disregarded as well.

"I count myself blessed to be the one to finally welcome the Valdor home after all these many, many years. Since your visit with Frere Pascal, one brother has been entrusted with the keeping of this book and the story of your visit. It has passed from one brother to the next until it was entrusted to me." Connar sat slowly down as he continued to turn page after page, staring at the words describing his visit, his trials, the heavy weight carried in his heart and soul.

"We have, from your first visit, committed ourselves to be ready for your return, to offer you rest and peace and a trusting ear upon which you could free yourself of the burdens weighing upon the soul of God's Hammer."

-

Return to “Shelter Amid The Storms”