The Usual Suspects: Characters and Etc.

A damaged man struggles against gangsters, criminals and his own demons, always on the run from his past and looking for redemption.

Moderator: Simon Toews

Simon Toews
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Usual Suspects: Characters and Etc.

Post by Simon Toews »

(OOC: I created this to give a little back story to certain important characters and give you an idea of what they looked like in my head. Will be adding more to this as I go along.)

Simon Anthony Toews-
Born: October 20th, 1983
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes
6'0
Arms covered in a variety of tattoos representing won fights and one over his hear bearing the name of his deceased daughter: "Cici"
Fists are a gnarled, misshapen mess, having been broken several times.

Simon was born to a stripper named Maggie Bryers and Byron Toews a small-time career criminal. Maggie died in childbirth, and by the time he was 3, his father had been gunned down in an alley. Ted and Diane Ingram adopted him, giving him a stable home. Unfortunately for Simon, Ted was a violent drunk who often beat him and his wife. 8 years of abuse and Simon had enough. One night, when Ted was drunk, he came after Diane. SImon intervened, hitting him with a baseball bat. He continued to hit his foster father, beating him near to death. When Diane tried to turn him into social services, he ran. At 11 years old, he found himself homeless and alone, stealing just to eat, until a fateful run-in with Father Benjamin Mulcahy gave him his first true home.

All good things, however, must come to an end.

"I don't need to fight. To prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven. "
Corrine Paige
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: The Usual Suspects: Characters and Etc.

Post by Corrine Paige »

Corrine Alissa Paige
Born: January 5, 1982
5'9"

Tall, slim, beautiful. Her hair worn in a bloom of braids atop her head. The daughter of a long line steel-mill owners, she had her life's path set for her. But she had other plans. Top of her class throughout the academy and work ethic that put her peers to absolute shame, she fought clawed her way to detective. A wry sense of humor and a damn near obsessive need to finish the job, she has become one of the stars of the department with a flawless record.

Until, of course, she met Simon Toews. Corrine was relentless in her pursuit of the man until the day both their lives changed forever. Toews' daughter was dead and the entire Cotter criminal organization lie in flames while Corrine was left a severed left arm and a permanent limp.

These days she spends her time as a part-time PI
Simon Toews
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Simon Toews »

Cassie "Cici" Toews
Born: March 7, 2000
3'6"

Cici was the product of a one night stand between Simon and a stripper named Chloe. When she was just a week old, her mother left her on the doorstep to an apartment, with a note for the occupant. "She's your's "

Simon took the girl in, playing daddy for a solid week while trying desperately to find out who exactly the mother was. He wanted any way out of it. But as time went on, he began to fall in love. She had big blue eyes that peered up to him, and whenever they did, the most beautiful smile came to life. Simon named her Cassie, and accepted his role as her father, doing everything he could to live up to it. For a while, he even attempted to go straight, working as a delivery boy, a mechanic, and for one day, in an office. Eventually, though, old habits returned.

When Cassie was two she said her first words. Her own name. Of course, with her limited capacity for speech, she only managed "Cici". The name would stick for the rest of her life.

As she aged, she remained intensely close with her father, sometimes earning the pair accusations of them being almost more friends than parent and child. She never questioned what he did, nor judged the scrapes, bruises, and scabs that often adorned his skin. The explanation of him working too hard and not safe enough seemed to suit her. Cici was sweet, stubborn and never failed to make SImon laugh. She was his purpose, his reason for living.

And then, she was gone.

Simon Toews
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Simon Toews »

Cameron Cotter
Born: September 4, 1957
6'1"

Cameron Cotter grew up on the worst streets of Sheffield, England. His father was a drug runner and enforcer for a local crime family, gunned down when Cameron was 8. His mother did her best, but the boy turned to crime by the age of 10. Petty robbery and vandalism started his career, but by the time he was 13, Cameron ran messages and "packages" for crime boss Miles Standish.

Cotter was a late bloomer, always shorter and rounder than the other kids. But his short temper and refusal to fight by any rules, ensured that he was feared. He strove to be the strongest, toughest guy in the room to compensate, lifting weights and taking boxing lessons. When he was 15, Standish called him to a warehouse. When he arrived, Standish waited beside a former associate turned informant, tied to a chair.. He handed the young Cotter a pistol and told him to kill the man. With only minimal hesitation, Cotter put the gun to the man's head and pulled the trigger. It was his initiation. He was now a part of the family.

Over the years, Cotter rose through the ranks, becoming one of Standish's top earners and most feared enforcer. He also developed an intense drug and alcohol habit. How many men he killed in that time is disputed, but it's estimated to be over 100. Standish began to resent him for it, but as he sank deeper and deeper, Cotter began to care less and less. When he was 26 years old, Cotter used his influence, drawing those he could trust even closer. Together, they planned a coup. Standish and anyone who remained loyal to him would be wiped out and Cameron would take over.

Cotter lured the crime boss and his most loyal lieutenants to an expensive, fancy dinner. When they all sat down, Cameron's men entered, executing them in one fell swoop. Standish begged and pleaded with the young Cotter, but the young man would have none of it. He put two bullets in the old man's chest and watched as he slowly died.

Miles Standish was dead. And Cameron Cotter was the new king.

Under Cotter's leadership, drugs and gambling and violence became the M.O. Eventually, his ambitions grew and Sheffield was no longer a big enough kingdom. It was one fateful night, sitting in a bar beside a stranger, when he heard of a new land, ripe for the taking. This was how Cameron Cotter came to Rhy'din. In 1990, at age 33, he quickly set up shop, running his small time operations with an iron fist until he was the top dog of his little hill.

For the next decade, he consolidated power, finding the toughest and most dangerous human beings he could gather and either putting them down or in his employ. His reputation spread. In 2005, he visited an illegal, underground fighting ring. There, he saw a young man in his early twenties. Slim, wirey, but vicious as all hell. The kid's opponent was double his size, but he put the lummox away as if he were nothing. This was someone he could use. One way or another, Simon Toews would be his.

Simon Toews
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Simon Toews »

Lyla Melissa Cotter (nee James)
May 10th, 1983
5'9"

Lyla James was born to wealthy, well to do citizens. Her father an corporate lawyer while her mother was a housewife. Lyla was always a rebellious child, into trouble with boys from a very young age. She found she had a talent for making them do, basically, whatever she wanted simply by flashing a smile or even a hint of fondness in her hazel eyes. Lyla was popular, well liked by most, but made no secret if she disliked you or not. Her reputation in high school for being a flirty slut did not bother her one iota. She embraced it, leaving many a girl incredibly angry.

Even as a child, she was obsessed with fashion, using her father's money to fund an impressive collection that changed almost like the weather with whatever was in vogue at the time. If she was NOT the best dressed person in the room, she would get upset, often storming out of parties and public events. In high school, she was known to mercilessly harass anyone who dared wear the same outfit.

As she got older, she stopped really caring about school, her grades suffering. At sixteen, she was offered a modeling gig and dropped out, much to her parents' chagrin. The girl, however, had no trouble conning men into supporting her. She was utterly shameless, using them and tossing them aside when she lost interest or they ran out of money. Her life became a blur of parties and a revolving door of men who tried in vain to tie her down. She was 21 when she met Cameron Cotter. He was much older, but the man was clearly powerful and absolutely loaded. The perfect mark for a woman like her.

Getting into his good graces was only too easy. She was charming, young, beautiful....and moreover, she appeared to want him. It wasn't until she was fully in his clutches that she realized how in over her head she was. Cotter was abusive, emotionally and physically. He suspected her of infidelity constantly and controlled every move she made. The girl tried to rebel, but often found herself regretting it immediately. Her life had turned from one of fun and no consequences to a life lived in fear. It was out of concern for her own safety that she accepted his proposal. Lyla was stubborn though and never let him see it. Even when he hit her, she never gave him the satisfaction of a scream. As it continued to worsen, Lyla began to make her plans. All she needed was an inside man.

Simon Toews
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Simon Toews »

Other Characters: Eye For An Eye
Detective Evan Stanton:

Briana Tate:
Anna
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Anna »

Age 11:

Age 15:

Present Day:

Return to “Born Unto Trouble”