Remembering Gemethyst

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Sabine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Remembering Gemethyst

Post by Sabine »

I was asked to make a post to let the community know that we have lost another pillar of our community and a brilliant woman.

The player behind Gem passed away on 1/5/19.

Donations can be made in her name to the wounded warrior project per her wishes.

I am checking with those who were closest to her to determine what information can be shared. I will update when possible.

**Update: I was able to confirm that sharing her obituary was within her wishes and okay to do. The information to make a donation in her name is available there as well.

https://lienkaemper-thomason.com/tribut ... tuary.html

Gem we love you. Thank you for 20+ years of great storytelling.
“We spoke eternal things that cannot die.” -Charles Baudelaire, from The Balcony; Fleurs du Mal (tr. by Roy Campbell), 1857
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Re: Remembering Gemethyst

Post by Harris »

This is one of those things that weighs heavy on the heart. I had the privilege several years ago to play with Gem for an extended period of time, and even though our paths drifted away from each other as they sometimes do in RP I’ll always be thankful for the time we had.
Rekah Illyriana
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rekah Illyriana »

My heart is broken. I was very lucky to have the privilege to write and play with Gem when I returned to role play ten years ago. She was warm, welcoming and always a joy to talk to. Like Harris I lost touch with over the years but that doesn’t lessen my sadness over losing such a beautiful spirit.

She was always good for a laugh and a cry and a wonderful story.

Love you Gem, rest easy beautiful soul.
Pharlen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Pharlen »

This day was coming, I knew, but I still wasn't ready. But here we are.

Gemethyst was Shannon's light and love, playing and writing for her helped her work though some of the hardest things life had thrown at her. Gemethyst's adventures helped bring joy and perspective to Shannon's life. She told me that playing and writing for Gem was her "treat" after having her chores and work done.

Everyone she played with, she cared about so very much. She appreciated them. (Especially the villains!) It meant the world to her when people enjoyed her and Gem and their stories.

We talked a lot about what would become of Gemethyst and her kids, and Shannon was determined that Gem would live Happily Ever After with her children and loves. We just never figured out how that would happen.

Shannon didn't want me or anyone working that up or writing it if she couldn't, and decided that if she couldn't write it, then it would just be she was Living Happily Ever After with the kids and her loves.

But, if someone wants to include Gem in their writing, she was fine with that. Talking about or bringing her to an event, that sort of thing.

I said would she have her wings back, and she said of course. This is Gem's happily ever after, and for Gem to be happily ever after, she'd still be getting into mischief and playing tag with Jack and Benjamin and Lirenel, and she'd still be getting into trouble with Pharlen and Shan and Mesteno and Crispin and well, everyone she loved.

I told her I knew Jack's player would be waiting for her, and I told her that she'd worn out so many guardian angels that she was going to be one. And she laughed.

My dear friend has gone on before us. We will remember. This folder will remain as long as it is needed, and then join the catacombs. But we will remember.

All of my love.

Fantastically Ordinary
Drop by for a cuppa odd.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Gem/Shannon will be missed. She had spirit and fire that came through in her writing.
Peaches
Adventurer
Adventurer
The City Siren

Location: Running with concrete wolves & flirting beneath neon lights.

Post by Peaches »

I have a lot of nostalgia towards the MT days and there almost isn't a single one of those days that isn't swayed with the memory of Gem. Gem was possibly one of Lola's favorites, back forever ago, and even though we had lost touch, there won't be a moment in the RP community that she isn't recalled on fondly. She was one of the first to be so thrilled to see me migrate to DM all those years ago, with welcoming arms and happy affection.

Rest well, Shan. Lola won't ever forget Gem, and I surely won't ever forget you.

Return to “Thoughts at Large”