DoS Reinstatement Discussion

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Rakeesh
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Professional Duelist

Post by Rakeesh »

Sorry to join in late, and this is not directed at anyone personally, but here is my own POV as a duelist that has been around for closing in on 20 years, on and off (as life sees fit):

I understand the annoyance for those who are extremely devoted, are blessed with the luxury of time that that demands, and duel very often. That luxury has been mine at points in the past, and I very much understand where you are coming from. However...

There is no reason to not to make reinstatement as accessible as possible. Do MMOs and other games force you to lose levels when you stop playing for a while and come back? Do ANY other online games do that? At the core, ROH is a game.

DoS used to be infinitely more popular than it is now, once upon a time. The game has become less competitive and active, and more casual, over time. For the community to do more than just survive, but to actually GROW and retain players over long periods of time, you want to make the game accessible to both old players and new.

Don't attempt to use yourself as a comparison. Instead, use other games as a comparison and try to understand why their player retention rating is better than ROH's. This community exists because of some really dedicated individuals, but that doesn't mean that we should be blind to growth or exclusive based on criteria we create centered around our own personal dedication.

In short: make re-instatement easy. Hell, actively attempt to go out and recruit old players (even if they can only duel 5-10 times a month, like me). Make ROH inclusive and -friendly-. Otherwise, who do you expect to play?

As far as reducing the relative amount of work on the Standing Keeper in dealing with these requests ... how difficult would it be to fully automate re-instatement (or at least, automate it to the point where the site checks your profile against its records and sends an approval/disapproval message to the Keeper), if the Keeper took some time (not necessarily all at once) to create a list of retired Warlords that could be tracked via MySQL or whatnot?
When I am silent, I have thunder hidden inside.

[OOC: Twitter is the best way to stay in touch. <3]
Rakeesh
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Professional Duelist

Post by Rakeesh »

I think that what was settled on sounds like a more effective and very fair set of rules. Great work!

http://www.ringsofhonor.org/forums/view ... hp?t=26308
When I am silent, I have thunder hidden inside.

[OOC: Twitter is the best way to stay in touch. <3]
Slothy
Adventurer
Adventurer
I Remember Gondar

Post by Slothy »

I suspect someone like Slothy is going to wander back around in March looking to join the Madness tournament (either on his own or due to someone reaching out to him) and be somewhat shocked that we're now forcing him to duel once as a commoner before giving him his ranking back.
Ya know, I checked the standings a couple weeks ago and I was still listed. Now I'm not. Was there a purge notice posted at all?
"Wanna leaf?"
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Purge happened Slothy, but don't worry about it. With the introduction of a couple new rules here and the fact that you are displayed with a 20-0 record here, you'll still be able to duel as a warlord and the next standings after you do, you should get re-listed.

Just make sure that before the duel begins you inform the caller that you are an inactive / retired warlord whose record can be found at that second link. From there you shouldn't have to do anything further.

~Kal
Elijah
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Solaris Manor or Dancing Dragon Cantina, RhyDin city

Post by Elijah »

I for one support the new activity/reinstatement protocols that have been introduced to the duels as of recent, and also find it seems like an easier more streamlined process to get reinstated and active then before.

However, what do we do if we see the same character listed multiple times on the Inactive/Retired List? FOr me most cases the record was close but not the date, one set from like 6 years ago and one set from 2 years ago.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Elijah wrote:I for one support the new activity/reinstatement protocols that have been introduced to the duels as of recent, and also find it seems like an easier more streamlined process to get reinstated and active then before.

However, what do we do if we see the same character listed multiple times on the Inactive/Retired List? FOr me most cases the record was close but not the date, one set from like 6 years ago and one set from 2 years ago.
If you give the character names it can be looked into and corrected.

If you're just in for a duel and don't notice until then, I imagine the caller will need to look to the most recent of the dates and that's what you would have to duel with at the time. Beyond that, again, point out any inconcsistencies or problems and they can be researched and corrected.

err.. Shouldn't speak for Apple and Norah. That's what i expect would be the case though.

ETA: Took a look at the list see what you mean on at least the one warlord character. With the record being the same I figure it's probably a non-issue really and hopefully both entries get wiped when/if you start dueling with him again. It's cases where the records differ that I think would pose the larger issue.
Slothy
Adventurer
Adventurer
I Remember Gondar

Post by Slothy »

I know the purge happened. And for the record, I approve of the new process and all. Very slick. I was just curious about WHEN the purge happened?
"Wanna leaf?"
Kattria Minx
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Kattria Minx »

Purge in June 2012 and January 2013. Pretty much every six months.

For the Barons with inactivity, are they required to get a regular duel in or risk removal for inactivity, or do the duels they fight in their challenges count?
DUEL Norah
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Norah »

Kattria Minx wrote:Purge in June 2012 and January 2013. Pretty much every six months.

For the Barons with inactivity, are they required to get a regular duel in or risk removal for inactivity, or do the duels they fight in their challenges count?
They need to have one duel during regular dueling hours or risk removal. This does not include answering a challenge.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”