Open notes to the Baron(ness)s Council

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Penelope
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Open notes to the Baron(ness)s Council

Post by Penelope »

My name is Penelope, and though I am new here, I have found it pleasurable to read on the rules and history of your fair sport. I hope to stay around, and honestly as the following question with the utmost respect.

I find it strange that with all this challenging and jockeying for power going around, no one has thought to hold a Squire tournament in quite some time. It seems to me that having extra people in your corners will behoove you in the ongoing power plays the Barons and Baronesses love so dearly.

I challenge all of you to challenge the rest of us to show you we're worth your tutelage.

Peace-
Penny
Sinjin Fai
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Sinjin Fai »

I'm not a Baron, but I'll tell you why.

The baronies have been changing hands like a piece of candy thrown in a pile of fat kids. I've heard people talking about having squire tournaments, but the next minute, they're not a Baron any more so unless they want to hire a squire to do their housework or something, the position's more or less moot. No point in having a squire if you can't keep 'em.

Once they've got time to actually establish their baronies and, you know, keep them, I expect people will be having squires again. I've already heard some new rumors about a few of them.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong and all of the currently reigning Barons could say that they just hate squires.

- S
Laylla Angel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Laylla Angel »

Actually, Sin, you hit the nail on the head.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Sinjin Fai wrote: The baronies have been changing hands like a piece of candy thrown in a pile of fat kids.
- S
I have to disagree. If you look through the list of Baronies, you'll see that there were several Barons established for a decent enough amount of time to hold Squire tourneys before losing their title. Also, Several Baronies have been held for some time without challenges.

There's been several challenges, but also several defenses.

Rena's held her Barony for about ten months.
Jaycy's held her Barony for almost Six months.
Vanion has a squire, and has held his Barony almost 3 months.
Deathlord has held his over a month, is currently under challenge. Before that, Tormay had a squire.
Tormay has been a Baron for over a month, isn't under challenge(Hasn't even declared alignment) and could hold one easily without worry. Maria held it before that for ten days, but before that, Xeno held the title for almost five months, sent out notice that he was holding a squire tournament, but never did.
Teagan just became Baroness, before that, Cassius held his title for about eight months without Squire.
Maria just became a Baron. Before that, Xanth held the title long enough to hold a tournament.

I disagree that no one is holding a Squire tournament because "Baronies are dropping fast." I would say that no one is holding the tournament because they're either being lazy, or don't want to go to the trouble of doing it.

If they're not holding it because they don't think they'll be a Baron long enough to hold one, then they've got the wrong mentality. The Baron title is there to be challenged. Defend it. But there's no reason not to hold a squire tourney once you've officially become a Baron.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
Jaycy Ashleana
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Sassiest

Post by Jaycy Ashleana »

I am a horrible teacher.

::the note is not signed but the handwriting is recognizable if it were compared to other recent notices::

Return to “The Arena”