Challenge for Seaside

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

XanthVanBokkelen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by XanthVanBokkelen »

I find it surprising that the dueling community is ganging up
on this Warlord. It is honorable indeed for a person to take
it upon himself to gain his prize however he sees fit. It is
honorable indeed for him to achieve what he so desires through
his own power, challenging himself and pushing his own limits.
Only through constantly testing your own strengths and weaknesses
can a dueler truly achieve greatness. It is the skewed bias
of the naysayers that is clouding this discussion. When the
warlord was challenging a Baron loyal to Overlord Anubis, they
couldn't applaud more. When he righteously challenged a Renegade,
listen to them howl in derision. The partisanship is obvious.
Rumiko
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Rumiko »

I would hardly say I have much of a say in the world of this sport yet, but I cannot help but notice the double standard.

Many seem to view Overlord Anubis as an undesirable Overlord because some of his habits and mannerisms are considered distasteful. He asserts his power over people against their wishes.

And yet, the Baroness would intercede on behalf of a challenging Warlord who did not ask, wish, or desire any assistance. She asserted her power as a Renegade, against the wishes of the challenging Warlord for her own purposes. And yet, she loses no support from her peers, despite using the tactics and means of the Overlord many of you stand against?

It does not matter what your opinions of honor are. Actions speak louder than words.

Best of luck to you, Warlord. I would rather see someone who can remain true to their own sense of morals and honor in power than someone who loses it in the heat of vendetta, regardless of whether I agree with their goals or intentions.
Maria Graziano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Maria Graziano »

Let me break it down for those of you that seem to have trouble with reading comprehension.

Guill challenged Jaycy. Nobody cared.

Guill called every warlord and baron who has ever used a champion to stand in for them against the test or an intercession dishonorable. People got a little bit upset.

Was Jaycy being a bit annoying? Yeah. It's beyond me why she'd want to help Guill get a ring. However, it's her right as a renegade baron to be as annoying as she wants. In fact, it's sort of in the job description.

Nobody cares if Guill wants to be a moron and not use a champion. However, many of us don't like the idea of being called dishonorable for playing by the rules.

Get it now?

- M.G.
Gnort
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer
Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by Gnort »

Just to add a little something here...

By this entire judgment and line of argument, it's reasonable to conclude that any Baron allowing the Overlord to step in and Test a challenger is also inherently dishonorable.

I mean, that's how it reads to me. If allowing a Renegade Baron to step in for a challenger is dishonorable, its reasonable to conclude that a Loyal Baron allowing the Overlord to step in is also dishonorable.

So, pretty much everyone who dueled for/with a title, therefore, is inherently dishonorable....

Wow.

G'nort Dragoon-Talanador.
Still the best.
Rollo
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Rollo »

I am not a warlord or anyone of importance, yet. However this is a bloodsport we all participate in. Rather than being verbose and boring. Take your grievances to the place where they belong. Inside of the rings. Master Guill spoke his mind on his view, and it differed from everyone's and he further dug the whole by responding to the negativity he should have expected or perhaps wanted to incite. Those of you with a new axe to grind, take him to the rings.

Rollo Al'Vandraset.
"If success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel right in your heart, it is not success" - Anonymous
LadyAjaBird
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by LadyAjaBird »

::tacks up her two coppers with the rest::

Guill,

The definition of A Man Of Honor is as follows; someone who shows honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions. To be held in honor, one must have high respect, merit or rank.

While I believe that you have the right to challenge whomever you please, for whatever reason you have deemed worthy; I do not believe you have the right to refer to the practice of intercession dishonorable. Or anyone that does so.

Knowing you, I will wager a guess that you respectfully asked Miss Jaycy not to intercede and she told you she would anyway. You are upset by this, I understand.

But please do not allow your anger and irritation to be a reason to insult the rest of us, who hold these traditions of the sport in high regard. That, my dear friend, is truly not honorable.

I wish you the best in your challenge.

As Always,
Aja Bird
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

These fops would not know honor if a werebeast tore out their still beating heart, held it up before their eyes, and squeezed the only, lonely drop of forgotten conviction from its pulpy mass onto the ground at their feet.

Do not let any man tell you that your beliefs are not valid. Freedom comes at the cost of casting off a society that is diseased with decadence and self-interest.

Where are these honorable ones who ignore the current plague in the slums of Dockside, where the poor and hard-working citizens suffer and die silently, without aid from the Governor or the other prestiged and "honorable" Barons?

May righteousness win out in this challenge, and folly to those with bruised egos and compromised values.
BalancedInteger
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by BalancedInteger »

I will add my voice to the cacophony of opinions that swirl around this subject, if only to hear some smidgen of clarity and reason.

Honor is oft defined by a rigid set of rules that define how one should act and react in a given situation. It is ironic, and perhaps paradoxical, that these rigid forms should vary from one person to the next. Perhaps it has something to do with the society that one is brought up is...maybe it has more to do with what society has made one, and thus evolves some ephemeral code of conduct based solely on one's own experiences.

Anubis can bugger his pleasure slaves all through the night, kidnapping some and bending them to his will via the oft-maligned collar...and yet conform to his own personal code of honor.

Jaycy and Teagan can malign an entire group of duelers through their actions...and still have conformed to their own personal codes of honor.

Guill can offer his challenge for a barony, all the while placing what caveats he will upon said challenge...and thus define what it is for him to be a code of honor.

This is one of the reasons why I have so steadfastly refused to take part in any sanctioned duel to date: honor is not to be found in the rings, but is to be found in each of our personal stories without them. Rank and baronies and titles are but the playthings of folly when we attempt to use them to define who we are vis-a-vie things like honor.

Honor is an amorphous thing from one person to the next, and is a concept best left out of the ring. As always, understanding comes late.
Gnort
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer
Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by Gnort »

Yawn.

Dockside is your district. You fix it.

G
Gnort
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Gnort »

Everyone has their own definition of Honor. Trying to define it for everyone else will ultimately fail, as that will be your definition of Honor.

Definitively calling someone dishonorable because of your personal definition of honor is going to be considered an insult.

People aren't mad at Guill for his definition of dishonor or honor. They're mad at Guill for calling every other duelist(challenging ones anyway) dishonorable due to his vision of Honor. Once you call someone dishonorable, that becomes an insult. They're mad at Guill for insulting a vast majority of duelists past, present and future.

As for me, it's absolutely within my code of honor to try and cheat someone out of their pay that they've earned. Because it's within my personal code and definition of honor. But I'm not going to call that former employee dishonorable for being mad that I didn't pay them. I become insulted when they say I'm being dishonorable for making my own profit, though.

Doesn't match your code, matches mine. Just don't go insulting me, cause I'll bust you up.

Yes, in the rings, too.
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

you people talk to fucking much

((This note is not signed, but given the messy scrawl, obscenity and general failure at the English language, likely everyone knows who wrote it and tacked it up on the cork.))
Jaycy Ashleana
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Sassiest

Post by Jaycy Ashleana »

Accepted.

Jaycynda Ashleana
Jaycy Ashleana
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Sassiest

Post by Jaycy Ashleana »

This match will take place on Wednesday December 23rd at 10pm ((ET)).

Jaycy

(( Sin's been gracious enough to agree to call for this. Thanks Sin! ))
DUEL Sin
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Sin »

I'll call and stuff!

Hooray! Three cheers for violence and weird dueling circumstances!

- Sin
Anubis Karos
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Anubis Karos »

"Anubis can bugger his pleasure slaves all through the night"

Your envy is illuminating. But...I am not interested in such people as yourself.

Return to “The Arena”