Roads to Choose

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Roads to Choose

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

The sun slid toward the horizon as I sat in the grass upon a small hill on I' Taurn's grounds. The animals were making last forays into the open before settling down for the night, and the night creatures had not yet begun to rouse themselves from their lairs and perches. It is a magical time when light and dark collide, neither wanting to yield to the other, but ultimately once a day each must win the struggle to color the sky.

I sat there, considering my own future and fate. Ulysses was gone to Jacynth and had not returned since his becoming corporeal once more. It seems this overlay has little need or desire of me. The wounds to my heart and soul have been reopened at his return, and lay bleeding once more at this abandonment. Even Ozy remains missing, no doubt happy to again be serving his original master.

Sylus has taken to brooding silences, and there are days in which I see neither hide nor hair of him as he too must struggle with the stresses placed upon our relationship. I cannot return to him as completely as I had left him. Indeed, I am not even certain I can return to him given the third revelation.

I went to the Isle in hopes of seeing Tass. The Elder preyed upon my thoughts more than he should, and this seems to worsen with time. It was the Elder who occupied many of my thoughts, when I was not trying to figure out how to deal with Obsidion and his threats.

Twilight Isle was relatively unoccupied, with only a few present. The Arch Mage, Lady Kyndra, Gnimmish, and Cory who was on his way out. But there just greeting Kyndra was the one I had come to see. Tass. It was then I became tongue tied. As long as I have known Tass, I simply did not know how to begin. **Oh, by the way Tass dear, I have fallen for your older brother, but do not know how to proceed or even if I should try.** Yes, that would be a sure way of impressing my old friend.

I took a table near the trees, and waited. My hands were healing, thanks in part to Khirsah, and in part to Xenograg, but no doubt Tass would know the moment he approached, and as I looked up, he was moving my direction with a smirk on his features. He was looking for a duel, but when he got close enough, he opted to sit down instead.

We talked for a bit about not much of anything, until Tass broached the subject of the Elder. Leave it to my oldest friend to cut to the heart of matters. He opened with why I had not sought his help to heal my hands, and I told him that Khirsah had asked the same, but I felt Tass had more important matters to attend to than worrying about my wounds. He however felt differntly and snorted at my demurement.

It was then that I told him Khirsah had taken me to the Emerald Isles, and that I had seen Garl, and the recovery of Matlal, but he had already noted that the healing of Matlal had ceased, and knew it was tied to me, and what I am facing. It was then that I realized I did not truly wish to discuss the Elder with him, and when I tried to convince him to return to Kyndra, who seemed to be waiting patiently, and I had caught his glance at her, and told him he deserved the happiness I had seen in him when he was with her, he said to me, "we are not speaking of me.. and what is it you deserve?"

I studied his eyes a moment and told him that I had my own thoughts to sort out, and she was waiting. But as usual, he pointed out that I too had one waiting for me as well. It was the way he said it that I knew it was not Ulysses nor Sylus to whom he referred, and I asked him then, "what if I am not enough?" What if the connection of souls we have is not enough?

Tass simply told me, "You are."

I slid my most damaged hand from the robe's sleeves, the glamour slipping as I considered it critically, I told him I wished I had his confidence, and then his hand covered my own, "you do it's just.. asleep at the moment." He regarded me a moment longer before adding, "much like other things.."

I thought about what he was saying for long moments, and then thanked him as I rose. It was time to go home. There was much to do before I returned to Matlal.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Return to Matlal

I had spent several nights out on the grounds of I’ Taurn, pondering which road I should travel, and in the end, it seemed there was truly only one road, and that road led back to Matlal. What I had begun there I needed to finish. And so, with that decision, I went to the Inn. It seemed that it was there I was most likely to run into Khirsah, and I desired to speak to him about restoring Matlal, and hopefully engaging his help to do that.

I arrived at the Inn and was greeted by Antonnio Falconne. It has been a long time since I had seen him, but he was busy and I did not trouble him more than to say hello and inquire after his health.

It was not long however that I needed to wait for the Elder, I felt him the moment he stepped upon the porch of the Inn. The silk attire whispered as he moved, and the blade at his side seemed a bit out of place given his dress. I had started to raise the glass to my lips, but paused as he strode through the door, as though called by some unheard voice. He paused at the top of the stairs before moving inside and heading rather directly for my table.

Simultaneously, Xenograg walked into the Inn. He was dressed in his light blue, knee length topcoat and yellow sash, brown trousers and black boots. He was also wearing a wide, gilt swordbelt, and the Rouwan wood carved scabbard. I smiled and said good evening. He altered his course and headed in my direction. “Wouldst ye care fer a wee bit o’ tea Xeno?” He smiled, saying he had just returned from Xenodar, and was indeed thirsty. Antonnio quickly procured the tea as Xeno took a seat at my table.

I glanced at Khirsah, wondering if he would still join me, or wait, and I invited him to join us, inquiring whether he would desire anything to drink, but he declined, and I had not really expected him to accept. His gaze swept over Xenograg before deciding to join us at the table.

I curled up in my chair, and began to ask Xenograg about his doings in Xenodar, and he told me that the fortress was coming along nicely, and that the Keep was above ground now rather than the basements and subterranean support structures. Antonio brought the cup of steaming tea and set it before Xeno.

I curled both hands around the crystal snifter I held and studied Xeno as he spoke, and at his comment that Khirsah apparently would not be joining us in a beverage, I smiled, and told him that was not at all unusual. I then told him it was grand to hear of his progress, and the images of my own project now in ruins brought a sad smile to my features, “Ah dae fear mine oon 'ome 'pon Matlal hath been destroyed an' razed tae th' ground.”

Xeno shook his head, “I never even saw it.”

It was not something that had been ready to show, but still it had been beautiful in the way of the Eldar, and I had hoped one day to share it with my old friend. “'t was well started, bu' corrupted by th' invaders.” That was about all I could say without the threat of pain finding vent even now.

Khirsah spoke softly, “matters which seem to be reversing once again.”

“You survived though, you can always build another new home.” Xeno reminded me, but while I had survived, the land itself had been decimated and tortured. It was more than a simple rebuilding. Xeno gave Khirsah a curious look at his cryptic comment.

I quirked a sable brow at Khirsah as well, and wondered if the healing that had begun at Ulysses return had stopped, or whether now that I have decided to return, has the healing of the land begun anew? But Khirsah was ever silent, allowing me to ponder the considerations myself. I took a deep breath and looked at Xeno, “Ah've d'cided tae r'turn tae Matlal Xeno, tae work 'pon th' r'buildin'.”

He gave me a surprised look and asked if there had ever been any doubt, and Khirsah simply said, “there was.” As I gave Khirsah a quizzical look, he added, “and still might be.”

Xeno nodded, “I think it is a good idea, much too soon to give up on the idea.”

I held Khirsah’s pale eyes a long moment, “Ah’ve made mine decision m’lord Khirsah.” There was no question of my return to the Emerald Isles, and then turned to Xeno, “aye, bu’ there ist much tae be done.” He smiled in agreement, “there always is.”

I shook my head, he had not seen the devastation, “Ah cannae spend tae much time ‘n Riverbend, an’ Matlal doth need me more.” Khirsah watched me long moments, considering my words, and I got the distinct impression is was not what I was saying, but more what I left between the words. He was a master at reading between the lines, and I wondered if he read the right message.

Xeno agreed with a mischievous wink, “Even dragons are better company than the ghosts of Riverbend Keep.”

I gave him a shocked look, “Ye dinnae like th’ dead Xeno?” I knew he had always felt my need to be in Riverbend had been a bad thing, but I had learned much, and would forever be indebted to Morrin and Glum. No, Riverbend had become more my home than the realm of the living. I glanced then at Khirsah, “’n Ah’m ‘opin’ tae haff th’ elp o’ th’ Elder ‘ere.” And I did truly hope the Elder would see fit to join me on Matlal for the rebuilding of his land.

Khirsah simply looked at us both, not offering a word to let me know what he was thinking behind those pale eyes.

I sipped the amber liquid, “Per’aps ye’ll come wi’ me m’lord Khirsah?”

He gave a faint twitch of his lips, “and where would we be leaving to, Lady d’Nitesong, so quickly?”

I gave him a smile, “when Ah r’turn tae Matlal.” He opened his mouth as if to say “ahh”, but no sound left him, and so I continued, “Ah’d verra much li’ tae haff yer ‘elp Khirsah.” While he used my formal title, I had lapsed into the use of his name long ago.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

It was time to withdraw from my questioning of Khirsah, and I glanced at Xeno, “Ye mus’ needs speak wi’ Mystic, th’ lass didst use tae much o’ ‘er energies.” Khirsah’s words were softly spoken as he had helped me return the lass to the Dojo, “she is recovering.” I smiled, but continued to speak to Xeno, “yer ward was gluin’ Imp tae th’ sofa last e’en.”

Xeno sipped his tea, “Mystic? What happened?” Then he blinked, “What did Imp do first?” But clearly the mental image he had conjured was amusing as his grin slipped free from restraint.

I lifted a brow at him, “Aye, she didst glue ‘im tae th’ sofa, an’ ‘e ‘ad tae cut th’ upholstery tae g’ free.” Shaking my head, “Ah dinnae thin’ ‘t matters, ‘t ist nae good tae haff th’ lass makin’ faces at ‘im an’ gluin’ ‘im tae th’ furniture.” She was his ward, and there were manners to be taught, even if it was Imp we were talking about. I reached for Khirsah’s sleeve and touched it lightly. It was my way of thanking him for going with me to return Mystic the previous evening.

Xeno nodded and sipped his tea, “I will ask her about it tomorrow.” He knows he gives her too much leniency but she is a lovable little girl.

I let the glamour fade from my hands, “Ah didst carry ‘er tae th’ Dojo last e’en wi’ Khirsah tae protect ‘er. She didst work tae ‘eal mine ‘ands, an’ thence didst fall asleep ‘n th’ Arena.” Xeno nodded, telling me that she is a very giving child, and I could not agree more, too giving, “Aye, Ah didst try tae keep ‘er froom ‘t, bu’ she ist a determined lass.”

He nodded thoughtfully, “Now I know why she did not want to do much this morning. I have worked to teach her her limits. But, mild exhaustion is still within a safety limit.”

I shook my head, “aye, bu’ ‘t was nae neccessara fer ‘er tae use ‘t ‘pon me.” He disagreed with me then, telling me that the sooner I was healed, the better, but for me, it could not be at the expense of an innocent child’s health. She had nearly healed the damage from Utau and Obsidion, but the price had been unacceptably high for me.

Xeno smiled, “then stop being stubborn.”

I quirked a brow at him, “Stubborn?”

Khirsah then softly added, “You are such, Lady d’ Nitesong.” They were ganging up on me then, and Xeno went on to add, “The one lesson I could never get you to learn was accepting aid.”

I scoffed then, I had accepted Xeno’s aid and friendship for years, but he pushed, “Not the kind I am speaking of, and you know it. The search for the Shard was more the exception than the rule with us.” He sipped his tea.

I gave him a long look, “Ye didst ‘elp me more ‘n tha’ ‘n ye dae ken ‘t. Ye’ll giff Khirsah th’ wrong idea.”

Khirsah’s expression showed disbelief, “will he now?”

Xeno snorted, “Indeed? I expect that Lord Khirsah can see right through you, Alais, Me too I suppose.”

I gave them both a disbelieving look, “Ah’m verra easa tae ge’ along wi’.” Then took a resolute sip of my drink.

Xeno opened his mouth but closed it again as Khirsah smiled, “some days.”

“Your injury has been a running issue,” Xeno reminded, but in fact, I had not rejected his offer of the salve to help heal my hands, and had allowed Khirsah to return me to the Isles for help, but it seemed that was not sufficient. Then lifting a challenging brow at Khirsah, “Whence haff Ah nae been?”

I should not have challenged the Elder like that, he simply lifted his hand, and revealed the single scar that marked his flesh. I could feel the blood drain from my face, “that was dif’rent m’lord Khirsah. Malchor ‘ad come.”

Khirsah simply stated that it always was, and a part of me knew he was right.

Xeno set down his tea, “Alais, you must not feel guilty when others are harmed on your behalf. You are to blame for neither causing the injury nor our involvement to receive it.”

I disagreed, “Bu’ Ah dae Xeno, Ah’ve done enou’ ‘arm tae innocents tae feel ‘t deepla.” What I had done with Morrin in condemning his people had brought me enough guilt to last the lifetime of a dragon, and so any hurt to my friends bit deeper and harder than they understood.

Xeno shook his head, “We are not innocents. Different rules apply.”

When I told him that if I could save my friends from unnecessary pain, I would do so, Khirsah held my eyes, “would you change the past to do it?”

“Ah cannae change th’ past.” He knew I could not, and messing with the past was unwise for many reasons. Even for those who could do so.

“That was not the question, Lady d’Nitesong.”

I canted my head at Khirsah, “changin’ th’ past wouldst change th’ present ‘n future ‘n ways Ah cannae predict.” Xeno had commented that since it could not be done, it was not worth discussion, but I slid my gaze back to Khirsah, “Ye’r capable, ‘re ye nae?”

Khirsah calmly looked back at me, “I am.”

I sipped the Liquid Fire thoughtfully as Xeno told Khirsah that he did not envy him that responsibility.

Khirsah’s eyes never left mine, “It is not a responsibility General. Lady d’ Nitesong has already provided the reason for it not being such.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I uncurled my fingers and looked at the long white scar still visible there. Xeno misunderstood my musings, “You will get used to it Alais, do not dwell upon it.” But it was not the disfigurement that was troubling me, it was the tie that it represented that caused my reflection, and as I looked up at Xeno, I told him it was a memory I would never forget, in fact, ‘could’ never forget.

Khirsah glanced between us and I knew he understood my thoughts.

Xeno added that his most recent scar would positively depress him if he were to let it, and I seized upon the opportunity to change the subject, but as my hand dropped beneath the table, I ran my index finger along the line there, and felt something very unexpected as Xeno rolled up his sleeve and showed me his latest wound. “: I missed a guard while performing a rescue. He surprised me on the way out. I blocked his sword with my unprotected arm. ” If I had been anywhere else but Eldicor, I would have lost the arm.”

I told him that he was indeed fortunate, but he then looked at me sternly, “I can never repay Queen Teleperien for this. She does not feel guilty for it, though. I chose to be there and do what I did.”

I took a deep breath, “Xeno, there's a reason fer mine feelin's aboot 'urtin' those Ah dae call friend.” The light tracing of the scar was providing a soothing sensation until Khirsah’s sharp gaze locked with mine, “you have questions.” It was simple and direct. And I began to wonder just how closely tied The Elder and I were at this moment.

Xeno rose and excused himself, leaving Khirsah and I alone, and I studied the dragon a moment, “Aye, we haff neffer ‘ad th’ chance tae speak o’ tha’ day.”

“Ask”

I was not certain the middle of a public Inn was the place to simply begin asking him about that day, and he told me we could go anywhere I desired, but my confidence fled then and I leaned back into my chair, then laid my scarred hand upon the table before him, “Ye didst touch me first, ‘pon th’ sands o’ Matlal, bu’ neither o’ us was scarred fer tha’ touch. Why?”

His silvery white eyes met mine, “you did not seek then what was forbidden to you.”

“Bu’ ye were ‘n tha’ forbidden place.” For I had not mistaken the brief touch of Primordial Darkness.

“I was.”

I pondered his answer, “Bu' whence Ah reached fer thee, we didst both suffer fer tha' reach.”

He did not answer me then, rather he let me puzzle it through, “Ye could haff le' me die 'n tha' moment.” It was not a question, it was an observation born of the two incidents.

“I could have.”

He could have, but he did not. I curled my fingers over the scar. If he cared even a little, why did he continue to use my formal titles rather than my name? Only once have I heard him call me Alais. And with great temerity I then asked him that question.

We spoke then about that day, and I wondered if his presence would have helped end the war sooner, and he told me it would not have ended the invasion any sooner, nor with less damage, and while I would have preferred to have seen him at the side of his brother, he would not have had the impact I had thought he might.

I reached for his hand then, as I had to know if he felt what I did, and as he opened his hand once more for me, and I ran my finger along the scar, I nearly threw his hand back. The touch of my finger to his hand was mirrored in a phantom touch that caressed my own. Each time I touched that scar, he too felt it. And should he ever do the same, I would feel it.

There was a brief moment of terror in that thought.

I needed to go home, and when I said as much, he asked me which home I did mean, and in that instant, I wanted nothing more than to return to Matlal. Where upon, he offered me his arm, and we vanished as if we had never been.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Matlal. My home and sanctuary.

There was a feeling of rightness about arriving on Matlal. I had been away too long in RhyDin. The plateau where I had laid my foundation stone had been nearly cleared by Garl and the silvers, and it was now where I stood looking out over the black sea. The pale salmon feldspar shone in the moonlight with an almost ethereal glow, and I sat upon the stone watching the waves roll onto the black sand beach below.

Khirsah had brought me here and departed to places unknown. He remains an enigma, and yet I am drawn to him as iron is drawn to lodestone. It is an inexorable attraction that I have recently learned extends to the mirror scars we share, and the sensation of touch shared between those two marks. And yet we are such different creatures. The Fates play cruel jests upon us all it would seem.

I had spent the day working beside the silvers to prepare the site for rebuilding. Xeno had been right, this was not something I should give up on, and the renewed air of hope was contagious. I watched the dragons prepare the site, and found myself coaxing a patch of grass and a small vine of fragrant jasmine to twine around the foundation stone. The bit of green and cream contrasted sharply with the blackened ground around it, and Garl paused to stand beside me as the flowers opened to release their fragrance into the breeze. I was home.

Later I made the trip to RhyDin. The Inn seemed the place where Khirsah would come and I hoped again to talk with him. The Elder had remained away the entire day, and there were still so many questions that remained unanswered. I conjured a glass of Liquid Fire as I took a table near the fireplace to wait, but it was not long before I heard the soft swish of silk as Khirsah made his way across the porch and through the door. He had come, although I do not know why he feels the need to come when I am here, and yet remains aloof from all other places. He moved with purpose through the room toward me, and I smiled.

“You always seem to know were to find me, and yet you do not come to I' Taurn m'lord. Is there a reason?”

He paused, “why would I?”

I swirled the amber liquid within the crystal snifter, “I suppose because you are here due to the road I must choose, and because you would like to. I was hoping you would consent to help me return Matlal to what it once was.” I in fact hoped for more, but for the moment, it would do just to have some time to talk to the Elder, to understand him better.

He watched me with those silver-white eyes, so changed from that day long ago when he had come to I’ Taurn for the books. “Matlal is already on its way of returning.”

I motioned to an empty chair, “Yes, but it will be my home, and the dragons there have suffered.” I then took a sip of the amber liquid, “If you do not return to the islands Khirsah, where would you go?”

He gave me an assessing look, “who said I would not be returning?”

I returned his direct look, “You do not seem interested when I ask you to come back and help me. Or, perhaps, you do not wish to do that?” He had a way of never answering directly. Khirsah is more likely to ask you a return question rather than provide a simple reply, and so his next comment took me by surprise.

“Your reasoning for wanting me there are not the true reasons, so I see not a reason to respond.”

I canted my head, pondering how best to respond. Khirsah never accepted incomplete or misleading answers. “Can you not feel the ties milord? You would ask me to speak of them when even I feel the connection? Did I cause this connection?” I felt the pull between the Elder and myself, surely he felt it too, but now the question was, had I created it when I had reached for him in the Primordial Darkness? Had I unwittingly or in some way tied an elf to an unwilling dragon?

There was a faint twitch of a grin from him then, “that is not what I said, and you are welcome to speak of them as you wish.”

I glanced around the Inn before looking back at him, “I believe I was trying to give us that time to talk milord, in Matlal, where we could discuss the implications.” I could not contain a soft chuckle. My subtle ways were not what the Elder had wanted from me. It would seem that he wanted a candor I was not prepared to use in such matters.

He lifted a brow at me, “then why not ask that to begin with?”

“Because I did not wish to make you uncomfortable.” While true enough, it was also that I did not wish myself to be uncomfortable by opening this discussion in a public forum, nor a private one if my feelings were mistaken.

He then put my private fears to voice, “How would this make me uncomfortable? It would seem ore that it is making you such, Lady.”

I could feel myself blushing under his scrutiny, “How would you have taken such a thing Khirsah? A simple statement that assumed you felt the connection?”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

“The first time you reached out to touch me from the Darkness, I felt you wanted to say something more, and yet when I sought you, you closed the door upon me harshly and quickly. I did not know what to think.” When he had reached for me, it had been a surprise, but an even greater surprise was when I reciprocated, his rejection. The dichotomy was striking.

“Then to save your soul is to reject you?” He did seem puzzled now.

“It felt that way. It caused me to reconsider.” His rejection had caused me to doubt the pull between us, and my wisdom in seeking him in a time of need.

“I see.”

His reaction was not what I expected, “the two actions seemed … confusing,” I said by way of explanation to him.

“Then you now wish to have been, lost?”

I shook my head, “No, there was a time when I would have welcomed that, but not now.” So he was telling me that had I reached him and he not rejected me, I would have lost my soul in that darkness? It had left its mark permanently upon my flesh and my soul, but what he was telling me was that he had done so to prevent the loss of my soul. Such is not a rejection.

“What has changed?” He was pressing me with questions, and I suspect that he already knew the answers, but he wanted to point them out clearly to me with his prompting.

I glanced into the fire, and slowly back at Khirsah, “My destiny is not to join Morrin, but to live my own life milord, and that I intend to do.”

He lifted a brow then, “Is it your own life? After all, you have only recently moved from a four way impasse.”

I took a sip of the amber liquid, “It is my life milord, that cross road does not intersect, and that is why it was so distressing.”

“It is your life that is the road.”

I nodded, Yes, it is.”

He regarded me unblinkingly, “your life cannot intersect itself. So again, Lady, you have recently moved from a four way intersection.. is your life your own? ”

He was asking me a very important question, “Yes m'lord, it is my own. It will not change that I have loved both Ulysses and Sylus, but it is time for me to move down the road I have chosen.”

He gave me a slight nod, “be sure it is your life, and not the image of a life that you believe the other wants.”

The easiest thing would be to remain in RhyDin and give to Uly and Sy that which they would have, but it would not be my own voice and life then. I was certain, this is the road my life must take. “I told the Younger I was not certain I was enough Khirsah. I am still not certain about that, but I am not deluded by images. I look into the mirror enough to know that.”

“The mirror is an image.”

“Yes, it is why I recognize them as well as I do.” I was referring to the silver mirror where I could look at the past and the future, and the images there have taught me much about imagery and the false nature of such things.

He paused then, “and perhaps why you hide within them?”

I dropped my head with a soft chuckle, “You will not allow me such a luxury, will you?”

“It is not you.”

I sent the crystal snifter into oblivion, “sometimes images are helpful.”

“Are they?”

I looked up at him then, “I believe I am ready to return home milord. And yes, they are.”

“Think on that a bit Lady.” He rose and offered me his arm, “I shall escort you home, Lady.”

I gave him a smile as I wrapped my arm around his, “I would be pleased by that.” It was then that I noted he no longer called me ‘Lady d’Nitesong’, but simply Lady.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Alais coalesced about the same time Tass walked through the portal onto Twilight Isle. There was a running discussion between Druid and SyousMyst, where the first thing Alais heard was “:: Then you do not have fun when conversing with me about perception? Syous?”

Syous looked over his shoulder toward Druid, “Our conversation was one of intellect and understanding... not of insignificant rantings and ravings.” Something had clearly set the cantankerous mage off earlier in the evening.

Druid laughed, “So you cannot have fun with a conversation that is on intellect and understanding?”

Syous scowled at him, “The isle is a venue to pit ones strengths and strategies against another... how can one find true friendship and have sincere "light-hearted fun" with fellow patrons of the isle when one's focus is to defeat them completely?”

Druid smiled at him, “Because for the most part you bear the person no ill-will.”

Syous nodded faintly, “True enough... but to have anything more than respect for a fellow duelist is ... interference.”

Tass was gifted with a kiss from Kyndra, blown toward him from where she stood in a ring with Brigath. In Tass’ inimitable style, he swooned right there from the gifting of such a favor from so lovely a lass.

Alais moved toward a table and found a place to settle to watch the duels. There was a nodded greeting from Brigath, who did not look anything like the young man she had provided Kayla, but he was no doubt modifying the image using his formidable magical abilities.

Tass glanced at her, and winked before moving in her direction. When he arrived, he placed a kiss upon her cheek as she told him it was good to see him. Tass was in high humor as he announced that “it's good to see me every night.. means I'm still around.” She lifted a scarred hand to his cheek, and told him that she hoped he would be around for a long time to come.

He chuckled, “me too.. there are so many whom I need to.. torture.” His snicker was infectious and she asked him if there was anyone in particular he had in mind for torturing. He gave her a grin, “well, you right now.”

She gave him a light laugh, “Ah dae see. 'n 'ow wouldst ye li' tae torment me?”

Tass gave her his signature look, one that only he seemed to be able to convey, “you really did just ask me that, didn't ya?”

Alais smiled charmingly, “Aye 'n ye realla didst nae answer 't.”

Tass broke into a grin then, “well.. I know this little spot in one of the mountains that overlook Rhydin…” and Alais retorted that she knew of a very sweet place in the desert, but what did those two things have to do with anything. She was a verbal match for anyone, but behind the light hearted sound of the banter, there was a deeper pain that she sought to hide from the world.

Tass snickered, “weel, my, umm, torture, is, well, unique, ask Kyn.” She glanced at the woman in the ring and back at Tass as Kyndra commented on Tass’ assertion. She smiled at Tass, “r’mind me tae speak wi’ Brigath whence ‘e ist finished.”

Syous arched a brow at Druid, as if to say ‘why isn’t this obvious,’ before he continued, “When one is in the ring... the opponent is the enemy... if your goal is victory things like friendship simply 'interfere'. He shrugged then, “I don't know how to make it any more clear than that. If things like compassion and care develop through friendship, they may very well affect one's judgment when they face one another in a ring. Things like compassion, sympathy, and empathy tend to get in the way at a certain point.”

Tass studied Alais a moment, “so what brings you here tonight, love?”

She gave him a distracted look, “th' 'ouse ist empta, 'n Ah sought th' sound o' voices taenight.” When he asked her if it was just voices she sought to hear, she shook her head, “mayhap nae.” As she watched him exchange glances with Lady Kyndra, she re-thought her attendance upon the Isle, “Mayhap Ah shouldst r'turn tae th' 'ouse.”

Tass did not understand why she felt that way, and when he asked her, she simply told him that she felt unsettled it would seem, but did not go into explanations that might be overheard. But Tass wasn’t about to let it rest, and he leaned closer to her, and she shook her head at him, and began, much too softly for any to hear to tell him what was disturbing her, “:: A'ter ye didst leave th' oother nigh', Ah found soomethin' Ah didst nae expect, 'n 't hath troubled me.”

He gave her a long look, “what’s that, hun?”

“Tass, Ah found effera gift Ah'd giffen Sy 'n th' fireplace. 't was as though 'e didst seek tae erase effera moment.” She told him then, and admitted that she had not expected Sylus to seek to destroy all that they had shared.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Syous was seeking a duel, and Alais took the opportunity to accept as a means of not having to discuss the situation further.

Kyndra told Brig he could have the young woman who had come to the Isle in search of him, but she would take the grumpy old dragon, and Alais excused herself that Tass and Kyndra could spend some time together.

Syous accepted her request and introduced himself, and Alais summoned her staff to her hands, the white wood with its moonsilver runes shone brightly in the twilight of the island, but the small dragonet that sat atop the staff instantly hissed at Syous.

The mage’s eyes narrowed as they focused on the hissing dragonet for a brief moment before his eyes rested once more on Alais. He noticed the smudge of deep crimson in the wood, but did not ask about it as their match began. The dragonet coiled its tail around the staff tightly, and periodically hissed or chirruped as the match proceeded.

Syous released a trio of dark spheres that his Alais’ hands where she held the staff, and more crimson splashed onto the white wood. Syous seemed curious again, but did not inquire as he continued his assault on Alais. The match was very one sided, and as Etherean arrived, he quipped that Syous appeared to have retained some measure of skill.

Alais spoke softly to the dragonet in Annaran, but it fidgeted atop the staff and continued to hiss at Syous.

The match ended in a complete victory for Syous, and Alais leaned heavily against the staff before exiting the ring. Etherean congratulated Syous, who turned and peered at him. “I do believe that may be the first complement you've ever given me...”

Esper gave him a cold smile, “perhaps I have ulterior motives.”

Syous grinned slightly, “that sounds about right.”

Etherean regarded Syous long moments, “Have you decided to return to the Isle, or are you just waxing nostalgic tonight?”

Syous gave the dragonet a hard look before turning again to Etherean, “We shall see... we shall see... I suppose it depends on how frequently I run into Azjah...”

Esper lifted a brow, “Is she that unpleasant?”

Syous snorted, “If she has her way, I'll be driven off in no time.” He paused then, and at length continued, “but with that child of hers on its way, perhaps I'll find a bit of peace on the isle.” He studied Esper a moment before at length answering his query, “I’d call it more of a distraction.”

Esper gave him a look of curiosity, “Really now? Azjah has been no less hospitable than I when I was an official. What have you done to cause her to react so?”

Syous snickered slightly, “:: If I knew the answer to that question, I would have put an end to the behavior long ago. I seem to have an ill effect on women of the isle... Although it was not nearly as severe, Dans and Myst seemed to enjoy "pestering" me as well at times.”

Etherean gave him a cruel smile, “Ah, well, you know how the women of the Isle are.”

As Alais sat down with a glass of amber liquid, the little dragonet from her staff hopped down and went stalking across the sand in the direction of the mage called Syous. As it passed the mage, it snapped out at Syous’ feet as it scuttled past and headed for the ring where Tasslehofl was dueling. Alais spoke up then, “prithee, Tass, ‘t doth appear yer aboot tae haff unwanted ‘elp.’

Syous hopped suddenly as he felt the tiny dragon brush past and snap at his feet, and Tass glanced at the dragonet and wound up getting hit by a trio of NighMask’s blades.

Syous narrowed his eyes at the dragonet and murmured, “pesky beast.” About then Topaz spoke up, chuckling as she told Syous that the dragonet liked him.

The dragonet hopped onto the lowest rocks around Tass’ ring before chirruping at him, then it swiveled its head and gazed with brilliant metallic eyes once again at Syous, almost as though wishing it were a big enough dragon to eat the man in one bite.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Syous gave Topaz a snide remark, and watched the dragonet hop onto a bigger rock with more muttering. At last the dragonet spread its wings and flew to Tass in the center of his ring.

Tass’ hand shot forward to touch fear into NighMask, but he got more than he bargained for when his hand returned with the dragonet attached to his wrist. It chirruped at him and crawled up his arm to perch upon his shoulder, flexing its taloned feet into his shoulder.

Tass chuckled at it, and asked if it was hungry, where upon it chirruped again. It mantled its wings then as Etherean commented that someone needed to reinforce the wards that kept out unwanted visitors.

Topaz laughed, “it’s cute Etherean, I like it.”

Esper groused, “The Citadel is not supposed to be ‘cute’.”

Topaz lifted a brow at him, “The Citadel is beautiful.”

As Tass and the dragonet passed Syous, the little one snapped out at the mage once more before Tass asked it what it was hungry for, and then looked at Syous, as if contemplating feeding the mage to the little dragon.

Alais shook her head, “ye’ll spoil ‘im Tass.” But Tass simply laughed, “that’s my job, ain’t it?”

Alais shook her head, “it looks like he’s after a piece of Syous.” Tass paused, looked at Syous, then at the dragonet, and back to Syous before shaking his head, and telling the dragonet that Syous would not taste very good.

Syous peered at the dragonet as they passed by once more, with a look that suggested he might cast something nasty at the little creature, but hearing Alais, he did not do such a thing.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Kyndra grinned, “I think the little one thinks Syous is an old coot, just like Azjah does.”

Etherean smiled delightedly, “Azjah called Syous and ‘old coot’?”

Kyndra nodded at Etherean, “she did, I heard her.”

Topaz grinned then, “he deserved it Etherean, he said I was harmless.”

Syous passed a cold glance at Kyndra, and then Etherean as Azjah’s words spread even further afield. Esper’s laughter did nothing the lighten the mages dark mood about being called an old coot. Kyndra looked back at him, “It wasn’t me that called you an old coot, it was Azjah.”

Alais gave Syous her apologies, and commented that it didn’t seem to like him, and Syous shook his head as he looked at her, “No need, as long as it sticks to hissing and snapping.” He speared the dragonet with a meaningful glance, “if it actually does take a bite out of me, I may take a bite out of it.”

Etherean chuckled, offering Syous a word of advice, in that while the dragonet may be harmless, Topaz was not. But then he spoiled it by adding, “Topaz is only mostly harmless.”

Syous looked at Topaz, “Now, I did not say you were harmless... I simply said you were "tame" in comparison to Azjah.”

She laughed and told him that was worse in her view, and he believed she should take it as a complement.

Kyndra chuckled, “boy, this room is feeling pretty ancient tonight.” Which was rewarded by a mock glare from Tass.

The dragonet took flight at Alais’ call to it, but it swooped down over Syous enroute to the sorceress.

Syous missed the dragonets dive as he peered at Kyndra, but the impending strike from the dragonet had him ducking low just in time as he rose and scowled at the wee dragon. It landed on Alais’ staff and coiled its tail around the white wood.

Syous gave Topaz a hard look, “Fine, I'm simply saying... should you try your antics again, I was fortunate you gave me that little doll of yours... and therefore I find myself a bit more secure that you wont try anything "funny. Azjah, unfortunately, still has free reign "

Topaz smiled calmly at him, “I never tried anything ‘funny’.”

Syous peered at her, “If I remember correctly, you were in league with Azjah and her whole "lingerie" party idea.” He shuddered slightly as if he had some gross memory of a fat man wearing a thong or some such image.

Topaz gave him a puzzled look, “What lingerie party? I'm sure I'd remember such a thing had it ever happened.” She chuckled, “Perhaps Azjah just was talking about it to pull your leg?”

Etherean spoke up, “Was that not quite some time ago, Syous? Or is this a different lingerie party?”

Kyndra laughed, “that was me who was in league with the lingerie party, and Brigath!”

Cory chose that moment to walk through the portal, “Yah? Wha’ lingerie party?”

Syous glanced at Esper, “I believe it’s the same one Esper,” then he looked at Topaz, “that would be too cruel.”

Etherean shook his head, “I do not believe Azjah was involved with that one.” When Syous blinked at him in disbelief, Esper continued, “If it has been years, I do not believe Azjah was involved with that one.”

Syous had a moment of revelation, “No no... I believe you're remembering Cocoa's party... Azjah for sure had some sort of occasion, that I do believe you were attending Topaz... there was mention of lingerie... and swimsuits, and semi-nude chefs,” then he stopped as everyone gave him odd looks, realizing that he probably sounded a bit off in the head at this point.

Topaz considered a moment, “Hmm, are you sure? Maybe you're talking about the beach party, the one with the grass skirts?”

Kyndra smiled, “I mentioned the beach party...because that's what it sounded like...but I was the only one wearing a skimpy outfit that night.”

Etherean accepted a match and he let out a sigh of relief as the discussion about a lingerie party ended, but his mutter was clearly heard, “Even when she's not here, she still somehow finds a way to pester me....”

Alais glanced at the crimson stains on the white wood, then at Tass, “Ah shouldst probabla d’part Tass.”

He glanced sharply at her, “you going to be ok?”

She nodded as he asked if she was certain, and he watched her keenly. She took a deep breath, as if about to say something important, and he quirked an ear as she stood and reached for the staff. He simply told her to take care, and she nodded at him and headed toward the portal. She maintained a safe distance from Syous as she passed him, but the dragonet still hissed and snapped at the mage.

Syous watched them depart with a narrowed gaze, and shook his head as it snapped once more at him, “indeed, that is one feisty creature.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I had left Tass upon Twilight Isle. His promise to find me upon the islands was welcome, as it would be a very busy day. I planned to leave in the darkness tonight, closing I' Taurn for the time being. When I arrived, there was a sense of sadness about the house, as though it knew I was departing yet again. I reached out to touch the white stone, feeling the sadness in the matrix. Perhaps I should give it to Telemachus, and hope that he will bring light and life back to the house. Perhaps.

Upstairs, I discovered that there were three things Sylus had left that I had missed eariler, and I sat down to read the note he had left beneath my pillows. As I read his words, his voice filled my thoughts. There was bitterness in him that would not be soothed in the near future, and he had seen me laughing in public, but had never looked into my eyes, or he would have known that true merriment eluded me and would for some time.

And so, he would travel. As would I.

I glanced then at the ring and the green orb. The ring belonged to his family. It was not something I had any claim to, and I would have it delivered to Artemus. No matter how much I dislike the younger brother, it is the only way to return the signet ring to the rightful heirs.

The green orb was one that would allow Sylus to come to me, but I know that Matlal would be well enough protected that such magics would not work. I laid the green orb gently into a velvet pouch atop my dresser. It would be there.

Then I looked up at the night sky, and the moon that shown silvery over RhyDin. Cloaked above this realm was Jacynth. Whether Ulysses was still there, or whether he had moved on to another place and time I would likely never know. This overlay that had come back from the suns of Harmony did not need me. And, it would seem, did not want me.

I gave a wry smile at the moon above. Matters of the heart are fickle things.

Rising, I wrapped the signet ring into cloth of silver, and tied it with a midnight blue grosgrain ribbon before attaching a message for the druid.

"Artemus,
.............This ring belongs to your brother Sylus, but he is gone, and I cannot find him. I will be leaving this night for Matlal, with no plans to return to RhyDin. It belongs to the Kurgen legacy, not to the Nitesong legacy. Please do not give the messenger a difficult time, accept it and keep it where it belongs.
..............Respectfully,

.......................Alais 'd Arma Graham 'd Nitesong"

I left the package for the staff with instructions for its delivery, and taking up my staff, I stepped upon the sigil and left RhyDin for my new home.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

A visitor to the house

The house on Gold Dragon Way had been silent for many months. There was only the watchful eyes of the sentries, and the wild life that resides upon the grounds. Even the house seemed to be in suspended animation. No movement; nor even dust settling broke the silence of the place.

Ozymandias remained unmoving, but his sensors were tuned into the house. He had remained in RhyDin after shutting down the doorway between RhyDin and Harmony. Ulysses had come and vanished again, leaving the golden automaton once again without his friend and master.

Ozy heard the commotion at the gates from within the great house. It would seem that a rough looking carpenter was at the gates seeking the Lady.

Ozy stirred, flying from the house toward the great dragon gates, where he came face to face with a human calling himself Rab.

Return to “Quiet Return”