Departures.

Twins with a shadowed past make their way in a world where they've never felt welcome by any save those who taught them what they know.

Moderators: Sylus Kurgen, Artemus Kurgen

Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Departures.

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Perfectly silent steps carried him through I'Taurn as he gathered his things with a grim resolve when all he wanted to truly do was break down and weep. But wolves do not weep, humans do. Clothes packed away, he moved on to the few trinkets that had once meant something to him, each one held a memory of Alais. Wether a quiet moment of them walking the grounds and talking, or of just being in each other's company.

With where Alais was going, he highly doubted she would take anything to remind her of all they had been through together outside of the original memory in her mind. But such things could be covered in time. If she would take nothing to remind her of him, why should he take something to stab him in the heart again? Grinding his teeth, Sylus threw them into the fireplace and had to blink back tears.

"If she can cast aside all that we have been through so readily to follow a path she can't know where it leads, maybe I'm the fool for letting myself care once more. For opening my heart for another scar." He recalled how he'd seen her at the Inn, laughing and joking as if the previous night when she had broken up with him had never happened. How the smile on her face had made everything about her absolutly glow.The very memory of how she had looked in that moment rended his heart anew. Sylus had to stop a moment and keep his emotions in check, despite wanting to do nothing more than wrap himself in anger and let it fester.

The books on necromancy he'd been studying since moving in with her were returned to the library. An out of the way desk caught his eye and triggered a memory, a so distant memory of sitting there reading when the sound of breaking glass came to his lycan ears.

"That's where the path began." He whispered under his breath remembering how beautiful she was the first time he saw her, how she could still take his breath away with a smile, it was enough to make him hastily exit the library.

Hoisting his pack high on his shoulder he gave I'Taurn one last longing look. "Yet another home I will never come back to." Releasing a slow breath he looked up at the stars in the heavens. "You like ruining lives don't you? Shoving obstacles in the way of mortal paths and watching them fall. My first love was seduced by my enemy and then tried to kill me. Now the one woman to own my heart completely is seduced by the brother of an ally. You might as well finish me now, Fates. End my light because I'm tired of your games! Just take this love from my heart and end my pain. She has become as much a natural part of me as breathing, and you've manipulated events to take that part from me! You rediculously enigmatic beings that can't find anything better to do than to play with lives and alter their courses from what SHOULD be, just for a moments enjoyment. You're no better than children with a magnafying glass and we but ants under the beam."

A growl ripped through him far to low to be human. "All I wanted was to spend my days with her, I knew she'd already had a Lifemate and that the possibility of my ever becoming hers was an impossibility, but I didn't care. I didn't care that she wasn't whole, I didn't care that she had done terrible things. I'm neither whole nor have I led the life of a saint. I've much blood on my hands, too much to ever atone for." His dark amber eyes remained on the skies and he could just picture faceless gods laughing at him, mocking his life and all that had been done to him. "If a mortal could kill a god I'd slay you all for filling me with this pain." The words were barely whispered but the threat still firm.

Before he brought down the wrath of some god or goddess that might actually be paying attention to a mortal on himself, or worse. On Alais. he headed for the Inn. He had something to take care of before he could leave.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

The Inn was quiet as he walked towards the basement entrance to enter the Arena. He was thankful that no one was there. Seeing Alais one more time would be the last straw, he didn't know what he may do, and begging to go with her would not be something he'd ever live down.

Summoning shadows around his form, he fell through the floorboards and moved through the stone to come out of a wall near the back of the Arena. And Alais was there on her usual sofa. Closing his eyes, Sylus took a deep breath and counted backwards from 300, when he opened his eyes she was gone, so he had no true way of knowing if it was her, or his longing mind playing tricks.

Quick steps carried him towards one of the people he saught. His brother, Artemus. The tension between them was thick as ever, so it was best to move quickly. Clearing his throat, a hand pulled out the key to the forge he used at Dark Wolf Forge and Jeweler, Artemus's shop.

"I'll not pester you long, brother. But I'm leaving the city for a time, and I'll have no need for this where I go." The key was set down on the table then he was moving towards the stairs, but Artemus's words stayed with him long after he returned to the room he was using at the Red Dragon.

"I'll make sure your things are well cared for in your absense" The gods only know what Artemus would use some of his weapons and artifacts for.

"Maybe all these personal goodbyes are not the right coarse to take. It's taking longer to make them than I planned. Perhaps letters would be best."
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

He still didn't know if this was the propper course, but he didn't know which address to deliver the letter to, as hollow as it felt to him. These personal goodbyes were starting to weigh heavily upon his already wounded heart. His eyes lifted up and regarded the Celestial Tower, otherwise called the Citadel. Remember the days of training under Mur during his reign as Archmage

One of the goblins informed him that the current Archmage, Topaz was not home. He released a slow breath and gave the letter to one of the goblins, but put a nasty little enchantment on it so that should any but Topaz herself try and open the letter they'd get the shock of their life.

::The contents of the letter::
Dear Topaz,

I'm sorry that I could not say these words to you in person but many of the farewells I have made are weighing heavily on my already wounded heart. I'll not go into the details, though you may be able to learn the reasons for my departure from the city through others.

Before leaving I wanted to thank you for the guidance you showed on the first night I visited the duels. The kindness in making a new duelist feel welcome. I will never forget what I learned from you and what was said, and I hope to someday see Arrisian once more though it has been many years since he left. I wish you a happy life with Lucien, and that you have a nice big family.

Best wishes,

S.K.

P.s. Look after Artemus and Amaris, my brother will need guidance though he would never admit it.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

A calming breath was taken before he knocked on the Dojo's door. "Hope Xenograg is here, a letter would be a hollow farewell, if understandable. "

A spy hole opened in the door so the guard on duty could examin him.
"Lord Kurgen?" came the expected female voice.

He looked through the spy hole at the guard "Yes it's me. Is the General on the grounds at the moment?" He let the title go, this'd be the last time anyone would refer to him as a lord. Might be nice to remember what it sounded like. The guard went on to inform him that General Xenograg was not on the grounds but could be summoned.

"Could you be so kind and summon him for me? Or I can find my way to the Steppe and seek him out." He knew roughly where his teacher had homes in Rhydin, anywhere else and he'd have to go with a letter.

The spy hole closed and the deadbolt was pulled back as the guard opened the wooden door and the iron gate before it. Thanking the guard he stepped past her and followed her instructions to wait in the garden.

Sylus hears hoofbeats in the street and glanced over his shoulder to see the guard opening the spyhole and look through at the street. The door was immediately opened and another guard stepped into the street. Xenograg strode into his house and came straight to the garden "Sylus? Good evening."

He sat quietly in the garden and waited, sitting cross-legged on the ground, just watching the stars. Hearing Xenograg he rose slowly. "You too, Xeno." He turned to look at the General with a wane smile

"Here, come into the library." Xenograg opened the door and walks into his study.

The first thing Sylus noticed was that some of the furniture has changed since his last visit. A slow nod and he pushed the blades at his waist back farther on his hips and followed after his teacher. "I'm making my goodbyes in person..."The new furniture caused him to raise a brow. "Been redecorating I see."

Xenograg unbuckled his swordbelt and hung the scabbarded sword over the fireplace. "Not by choice. Good-bye, is it?" It was here that he turned and walked back to Sylus.

A slow nod given hearing Xeno's comment and let out a breath was realeased passed Sylus's lips. "With things that have happened, not much to keep me in the city now, at least nothing that won't come with a reminder of what I'm losing."

Xenograg merely gave a nod. "A journey sounds like a good idea. Do you have a destination? You do not need one, of course."

It was Sy's turn to give a slow nod, he always seemed to do a lot of nodding around Xenograg, as turned his gaze back towards Xeno. "I thought I'd go and visit my friend Sulrin. He's an old friend, one of my oldest actually. Been meaning to visit him and his family for a time. Hear he has a little one."

Sounds promising. Is there anything I can do for you?

I hope so. His village is having a festival about this time of year so I'll need to come baring gifts." Sylus paused at the question "Unless you can convince Alais she doesn't have to walk this path alone, and what she thinks I need is not what I truly want. Then, not at the moment. I just wanted to say my farewell. All you've taught me has been put to good use."

The look on Xenograg's face said he'd tried that debate before and lost. "Alais has a quirk for making drastic decisions.

"I know, I just wish she had talked about this with me. Just because she had to walk alone, doesn't mean she had to make the choice on her own. I only hope she's happy on the Isles, with all she's been through she deserves that at least."

"She tends to find her way back. She has more than a few inner scars, Sylus." Xeno reminded him gently. "For my part, I just wait for her to come back. Sometimes it has been years. And I am not getting younger. She is a good friend, but certainly nowhere near perfect. You have a more difficult position.

Those words earned his teacher a familiar smirk. "That's putting it lightly."

"I have not been in your particular one."

"It's not one any should go through but some must. At first I thought of having myself changed so I can remain in some form of sleep and await her return, but I quickly discounted it as foolish. So, I'm going on a few trips and seeing where this path leads."

The only advice Xenograg truly could offer him was to live and his comment about sleep got him a slow nod. "Good, you have already passed that test."

"Then I found a spell that can turn a man or woman into a sentient blade. That looked appealing at first, but then I realized I had no one who would do such an act, even in the name of friendship. And if I want to a mage and had it done, there's nothing to stop them from selling me for a fair bit of coin, or making me a prized possession." That comment came out as a growl.

Xeno raised a brow at that idea. "Quite."

"So, I'm taking your advise and I'm going live. Though right now I don't have a purpose, perhaps in time I will find another."

"Exactly. And you are welcome here anytime."

"Hopefully the fates will be kind and the path will lead me back to faces I know." A smile played on his lips at the offer and the words. "I'll return someday. Just don't know when."

Xeno had shared a battlefield with Sylus, and thus had a bond with him. "Take your time."

Understanding the other perfectly they grip each other's right forearms in a warrior's gesture

"I will, for that is all I have now." Sylus replied with a soft smile. "I owe you more than I'm able to repay."From a pocket inside his vest, a small green orb was removed, no bigger than a marble. "If you ever need to get in touch with me use this." Holds up the item. "You can speak with me telepathicly through it, and I can be summoned through it if needed."

Taking the orb Xeno watched his student a moment. "I will not use it lightly, but neither will I avoid using it as need. The only repayment I want is for you to have a good life. Heal first, of course."

"I left one at I'Tuarn, hopefully Alais will take it with her." He sighed then and smiled at the comment. "I used a drop of my own blood to enchant it, so the magic won't fade, the voice of a friend may be good to hear on occasion."

A smile split Xenograg's features. "True enough.You can still shadow-travel, too."

A grin played on his lips as he offed Xeno another slow nod. "I'll live as good as I can. And hopefully what new adventures come my way will help the healing. Aye that I can, but this way is faster, the Pathways can take time, sometimes it takes longer to find a specific portal."

"Just do not project into here." Xeno smiled again and it did Sylus's heart good to know they would part with smiles and not sad frowns.

"Take care of yourself Xenograg." Slowly he released, his teacher from the warrior's embrace with a long sigh. "It's hard to say goodbye to home you've come to treasure."

True, but these are only things, after all. Time for things new."

"Time cannot erase the memories that make them treasured, But hopefully new memories can replace the bad." For his own sake, Sylus hoped it was true.

"Take care of yourself, Sylus."

"Still some people I have to see." He gave Xenograg a nod with another smile. "You have my promise, on that Xenograg."

"I will walk you out." The General started only to pause. "You sure you do not need anything? A spare pony, perhaps?"

His shoulders feeling a bit heavier as Sylus turned to his teacher. "I have a horse, though it's as unruly and incorrigable as myself. Probably why no one else can ride him."

A rare grin encompassed Xenograg's face. "Made for each other."

"Yea right. He bit me this morning because I didn't give him an apple." The words were followed by a low mutter while Xeno laughed as they reached the gate to the street .

"Take care General. I'll return someday."Embracing his teaching one last time, Sylus turned up the street.

"May the Mother-Goddess ease your path."

The words brought a sardonic smile to his lips. "At this point, I'll take what help I can get."
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

A Brief Return

With a lighter heart, Sylus rode from the village of Mellor. All that time spent with Sulrin and Rachael had been good for him, had helped him. The elven population in that border village was more receptive of the sadness that lurked in his heart and had done nothing to get him to talk of it, only got him to think of better things. It had only been for a few weeks, but to Sylus’s own heart, it seemed a lifetime.

Walking amongst the many groves seemed to bring out a healing calm to his beast; this was after all part of the lands of Eldicore. That healing property could carry this far up. But whenever his feet carried Sylus back to his rooms for the night, the hurt and the sadness would come again. With every blink in an attempt to fight off sleep, he saw the face of the silver haired beauty that held the key to his heart for all time.

“I understand why you feel it necessary to go to the Isles, beloved. However, why could I not go with you? That’s what I would have liked to know, and there is so much left unsaid. I could not say those words for personal reasons; reasons that I am afraid would drive you further from me. You have enough to worry over without knowing the secrets I keep, the secrets my brother and I keep from the world.”

This was the litany the elder Kurgen whispered each night before letting exhaustion claim his mind to the land of Nod and the kingdom of dreams. The world of REM gave no reprieve to his heart however. Visions of Alais found their way to his mind, her smile, her laugh, the scent of her hair. All of it combined in a fantastical manner that made the dreams too real to be just that. Moreover, each morning Sylus would swear he caught the glint of fading silver in his peripheral sight. Finally it became too much.

Legs crossed Indian style; Sylus looked deep into the flames of the bonfire he’d built on a high bluff. With each passing moment, he felt the moon climb higher in the sky, his wolf spirit pacing back and forth within. “Tonight is the first of the Fall Equinox, hope you’re listening Fen. I need your guidance my lord.” Despite his firm belief that he bowed to no one, there remained one being he had no choice but to bow. Fenrir.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Right when the moon reached its zenith, his head went back with a mournful howl that split the night. It was a howl filled with everything his heart felt, a sound sure to summon the great wolf spirit. On and on he howled until a loud pained growl came from every direction. At first Sylus wasn’t sure if he could trust his eyes as an image shimmered into existence within the flames of the bonfire. It was a black wolf bigger than any warhorse he had ever seen. Sylus didn’t need to touch its fur to know that black silk would be softer than swan down.

~Why have you summoned me, wolf-ling?~ Those words game as a gentle growl through his thoughts. Not hostile, but more along the lines of a parent having a rough day then dealing with a child it didn’t want to. The elder Kurgen met the wolf god’s fierce gaze without hesitation or fear.

~I need to walk through the world of dreams, but lack the ability. There is one, I feel is my mate, but the markings have not appeared yet. I need to see if she is safe, but know not where. Visions have clouded my dreams of late, and have carried over to my waking thoughts. I summoned you wishing for your aid.~ Sylus spoke those words with truth as one cannot lie to a wolf, the wolf will smell the lie in the person’s scent and hear the lie in their heartbeat.

Towering over him, Fenrir walked a slow circle around Sylus as he sat, scenting him. ~I smell the truth in your words and your heart. Normally I would not hesitate in aiding one of my children, but your blood does not descend from any of my line. You are still a wolf in spirit and flesh, for now it will be enough; but I will not be able to aid you again. Do you still wish to proceed?~

~Yes.~ He answered without hesitation and rose to his feet.

~Then take a hold of my of fur and you can walk the land of dreams. I hope you find the one meant to be your mate.~ The world shifted then like sand twisting through a funnel.
Last edited by Sylus Kurgen on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

As soon as it began the shifting stopped and Sylus still stood on that bluff, the fire still blazed, but something wasn’t quite right. It was as if time stood still. The fire still glowed but no heat came from it, and the flames blazed frozen in place. However, what told Sylus that this was not the waking world lay at his feet. Dark amber eyes fell onto his sleeping face, lying on the ground as if he’d just collapsed.
Fenrir started laughing in a deep guttural voice, no doubt at the look on his own face. ~Ready wolf-ling?~

~As ready as I can be, my lord, this is a first for me.~ Fingers curling into the great wolf’s fur he whispered their first destination. I’Taurn.

Once more, the world shifted as if made of sand and he stood before the gates of I’Taurn. ~Careful wolf-ling, you only walk in this reality as long as your hand remains firm in my fur. Should you let go for even a second, you return to your body.~ Apparently the Lord of Wolves had felt his grip loosening and brought him back to the present with a serious reminder. Letting go is bad.

~Let’s go.~ Eyes taking in the house he thought would never stand before him again, Sylus took a step towards the gates and the world shifted. In the next instant, they were inside the entry foyer. Everything just as he left it, even the Mithril chandelier still glowed with fairy fire same as the night he removed himself from the house with a hurt heart and a mind filled with nonsense.

~This mate of yours certainly likes silver and white. She’s of the Eldar isn’t she? Good choice there, she’ll understand the level of duty you face.~ Those words certainly caught him off guard, what did the Wolf Lord know that he did not?

~Your fate is your own to unlock, pup. Just follow your heart and remember what it means to be a wolf. We only kill for two reasons and that’s to eat, and to protect our pack brothers and sister. Where is your pack? Not all wolves are four-legged and have fur ~ Sylus made sure to remember those words. For most of his life, that had not been the path followed, and that last gave him pause to think on if he truly had a pack or not. Whom could he consider part of his “pack”? What friends did he have that were as close to him as that? Certainly, there was Alais, and Xenograg. Topaz could fit thought not sure what caste she’d slide into. Rena came off as a beta from time to time. However, none of them was wolves in that sense. He viewed them all as Alphas.
Last edited by Sylus Kurgen on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

~Do not trouble yourself with it now wolf-ling. Let us seek your mate to see your troubled mind and heart put to ease.~ Once more Fenrir’s words passed through his thoughts.

~Am I that transparent in guarding my thoughts, my lord?~ Sylus just had to know, if his thoughts were so easily read he might as well just give up trying to guard his thoughts.

~ It is not a lack of skill on your part, wolf-ling. It is the fact that I am a god and you are not. Your power is nowhere near my own.~

A sigh rippled through him as the world shifted once more and the dragon doors to Alais’s chamber stood before them. ~In we go~ Sylus whispered to himself and passed through the doors as if he were a ghost. But Alais was not in her rooms.

~Is there any way that I can go directly to her? Or must I look in individual places?~ He should have thought to ask that in the first place.

~ And are you sure that the Lady Nitesong is even asleep?~ The Wolf Lord seemed to really enjoy pointing out things Sylus had not actually thought of in his haste. That was aggravating. ~ Or that if she is asleep, she’s even in this world and not her home on the 6th level of hell? Not going to find her here if she is there wolf-ling.~

~So we go where is available to us and look for her, along the way leaving notes or clues to let her know I was here seeking her.~ The question was, how to do that with only one hand? He moved a handful of steps further into the room and looked around for something to use. First he considered the poker by the fire, but with the flames cold, no scorched writing could be left, and Sylus would never vandalize a place that meant so much to Alais.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Then it hit him. Urging Fenrir towards the fireplace, he took up the burnt figurines that were sitting on the mantle. ~ I hurt her in doing this.~ He caught a faint whiff of Alais on them amid the ashen scent.

~Now, how to go about setting up the message is the trick here. Moreover, has she even been back to the house since I left the city? ~ This was covering bases in his mind. Leave bread crumbs in all the right places.

The first burnt figure was placed on top of Alais’s pillow, then scooping up a hand full of ashes from the cold fire, Sylus moved back to the bed, all the while Fenrir remained silent at his side. Scattering the ashes on the ashes over the pillow he left a simple message. “In dreams we are never parted. S.K”

~That’s taken care of, next order is to keep the message from ever being cleaned up. ~ For this his dark amber eyes moved to the large wolf beside him. All ready thinking well ahead of the wolf-ling, the Lord of Wolves moved close to the bed and blew gently over the sands, making them glow faintly.

No word of “thanks” needed to be said, Sylus realized. The aloof deity was more than willing to aid him, this much seemed apparent, but what price was yet to be paid? As if reading his thought, which was more than likely, Fenrir turned on Sylus with a growl. ~Watch thy offensive thoughts pup; I am not a deceitful human thinking of what gain I can get for aiding another. Mortals are the beings who’s hearts are filled with such thoughts, mortals and other deities whom take the likeness of them. I am true to my children ever and always. Now let us be on with this task, I am sure we both have more pressing matters~

Despite the cutting words, it struck Sylus that they were laced with more irritation than actual venom. True, that thought had come from the human in him, but why had the wolf not said anything or stirred at them in regards to it’s lord? This he placed aside for another day.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

From the Arena, the elder Kurgen had asked his lord to take him to Xenodar. The world around him shifted again like sand in an hourglass, and it was inside of a small tent they appeared. As Sylus had never been to the Steppe where construction was taking place, it was rather puzzled look that spread across his face as he glanced around in confusion.

" Well I guess there isn't any point in messing around." Kneeling down he put the last figuring on the carpet covering the bottom of the tent and started to pour out another pile of ash

"Wait, wolf-ling, I think your "mentor" is here in the waking world, if you wait a moment, he just may take that nap. Should he sleep you'll catch him flickering in and out of this world, you wish to speak with him, you have to grab him at the right time to keep him anchored here."

The giant wolf turned to look at his child before guiding him over to a divan. "Well this whole experience is new to me, so I'll take your word for it. " Kneeling down, one hand still curled into that thick blackish gray fur, and just...waits.

When the image of Xenograg began to flicker in and out of existance atop the divan, Sylus's gloved hand shot out and put a firm grip on his mentor's shoulder, anchoring him in place. Just hopes letting go of him won't send him back to the waking world as it would for himself right now.

Sylus instantly noticed the personal wards about his teacher when a sharp pain lanced through his hand, forcing him to pull back after the moments contact, but thankfully Xeno didn't fade, though he wasn't completely present. His teacher's outline seemed to have a faded look to it similar to that of a ghost.

After that moments contact Sylus heared himself addressed by an unknown party "Identify yourself, sir!"

it seemed a fourth personality had arrived and soon showed itself. Appearing dressed to the nines in scale armor, helmet, and shield.

Sylus bit down the impulse to reply "I am a meat popsicle" and simply cleared his throat. Standing nice and tall, his grip in Fenrir's fur tightened a moment as he looked around for this new visitor. Then raised a brow at the full armor.

"Sylus?" The soft spoken words by the stranger made the Kurgen raise a brow. Seems this figure knew who he was. That was easier than he thought, but once again he had to bite down a remark along the lines of "No, it's the tooth fairy."

Instead he just gave a nod to the figure "I am, and who are you?" More of a nervous reaction his hand combed through the pony sized wolf at his size.

Without another word the warrior moved to Xenograg and touched his forehead with the palm of his hand causing Xeno awaken in this dreamscape. "Teraden?"

"Sylus is here to see you." Straight to business then. Sylus liked that trait in many.

"Indeed?" Moving to sit up the Generals eyes moved to rest on his studen.

"Morning Xenograg." A bow given to his teacher, though his hand still never left the pony sized wolf's fur. The large animal merely gave the General a respectful nod

"Afternoon, actually. Dream-travel now?" The older man waved off his question and continued. "I guess you have a limited time here. How are you faring?"

"I'm..." The question caught Sylus slightly off guard as he'd never given thought to himself in the last few days since traveling the dream lands. "Coping, though time in Mellor did help, but when I left the pain returned. Seems the lands healing attributes were not enough for me, however it was good to spend time among my friends. The elves of the high pass were very welcoming to me."

Sylus stopped a moment to let those words put his teacher at ease and continued. "I need to know how Alais is, I'll explain why I sought you out this way after you answer." Sylus knew that kind of response was unlike him, but he needed his mentor's answer to know if what had been troubling his sleep was a a longing heart, or premonition. He'd had a few before, if rarely. Xenograg's answer was not quite what he hoped to hear.

"I see Alais only briefly in the Arena when I do. She is still busy in Matlal."

At least she was in a place that was safe. Sylus hoped the Isles were safe anyway.

With a nod he turned to look at the large wolf almost in question, words passed between them unspoken. After another moment Sylus turned his eyes back to Xenograg.

" For a long time, my dreams were peaceful, but a few weeks ago I started to dream things I do not understand. It seemed the second I returned to my bed and closed my eyes I saw Alais, and a sea of darkness. I don't know whether this is my own heart wanting to be with her or some kind of premonition. I'm not known for having that particular gift."

"Considering the Annaran legacy, I would venture it is not just your own heart. " Xenograg was not going to speak of Daemonblade. Which would be for the best as Sylus was concerned enough for the one he still loves.

"The man in me doesn't know what is going on with her. But the wolf says something isn't right. Wolves like any other wild animal are more attune to sensing danger, even where their pack is conserned. And I do consider you, Alais, and my other friends as part of my pack."

"She may very well be. You know her, of course. She will not accept help. And she can take care of herself." It seemed to Sylus that Xenograg kept something back but he let the feeling slide, it was probably a minor bit of advice.

"I'm not so sure in this case, but there is little I can do. I could go to Matlal. "Once more Sylus let his eyes rest on his Lord. "But I don't think they'd appreciate the entrance my lord would make."

"I do not even know how to get there, myself." That part did surpsrise Sylus given the friendship between Tass and Xenograg. He filed it away for a later time.

~It is possible for many higher beings, though uninvited is quite an insult~ The words were were a soft growl of telepathy as the wolf turned then and bowed to Xenograg.

The slighlty surprised look on his teachers face was amusing for a momened as Xenograg raised an eyebrow. "Indeed."

"I'm not ready to come back yet Xeno, it feels like too soon. I left clues around the city for Alais to seek me out so I could.." He had to stop mid sentence as he realized his social blunder. "General Xenograg, meet Fenrir, God of Wolves. My Lord Fenrir, meet General Xenograg, my mentor."

"Well met, My Lord." It was then that Xenograg gestured to the armored figure. "This is Teraden, my spirit guide." Man and wolf gave a nod to Teraden almost in unison, but it was Fenrir who sensed that Teraden is the spirit of a deceased human. "And friend.

At that last Xenograg smiled. "And good friend." the look caused Teraden grin right back.

Sylus looked from one to the other, hoping someday he may have a friend as such before resting ambers on his mentor again. "Well at least I found a god to believe in, Teacher." That hand kept combing through the large wolf's fur.

"That is a good thing" It didn't seem the time to bring up his own recent change in divine patron to Sylus. "You have done what you can, Sylus. It will have to suffice."

"I have learned much about my animal half in my time here. Things I should have known all along. But that can be discussed later. I cannot say this to Alais myself, but the time for her to make a choice draws near. She will know the choices. And each revolves around a blade, a dragon, and a shadow. All will cost her something irreplacable."

"She likely does. It has been said before that she is stubborn." That was a point Xenograg didn't really need to bring up as it was a well established aspect of her personality. At times Alais was as stubborn as a child who refused to lay down for an afternoon nap.

"I don' think it is stubbornness, but she acts before considering how her actions will be recieved. When Ulysses returned, she was torn. I could smell it on her and told Alais to consider the path that would hurt us all the least. She chose what would hurt the most. But it was still her choice, and what's done is done."

Sylus felt the time slipping away from him and cleared his throat again. "I hate to put you in this position, Xenograg, but someone needs to tell her of this. And I know of no other to ask."

"I can try."

~ No one gets points for trying, do or do not. There is no try.~ Fenrir got a disparraging look from Sylus, the look was followed by a sigh.

"Yes, though we are discussing Alais."

"That's why I didn't say anything." Weak little raise of a hand with a sheepish smile from the youngest person in the room. "But do what you can, Teacher, I left her ways to find me. And I'll be in the high bluffs of Mellor for another week before moving on into the dwarven lands north of there." Figures it'd be good for Xenograg to know where he's headed next. "I'm still close..."

"Understood I have your device, as well."

"I left one with Alais, but knowing her she has put it in a drawer or something believing the wards around the Emerald Isles would not allow it's summoning power to work. Which is probably more than true, but I doubt those would interfere with the telepathic aspect. I just wanted to leave her a way to contact me if she needed to." Sylus had to close his eyes a moment as a memory flitted through his thoughts, though it was not his own. Some days being a "twin" was not pleasant, though this time it was useful. Eyes opened once again as he gave a soft shrug. "Doens't matter now. I'll keep my shields down where the devices are concerned. It'is time for me to go, I've interrupted your rest long enough."

"Take care, Sylus."

"It's no longer about me, Xenograg. In my own naivete I've bound myself to Alais tighter than I thought. Not even sure death can sever these, but it can try. Fare well, Xenograg."

With that said a smile softened his troubled face as the hand lifted from Fenrir's side and man and wolf both vanished like an image being wiped away from fogged glass.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

"Its all the same, only the names will change
Everyday it seems were wasting away
"

The days passed in an endless stream with the road ahead of him only getting longer. Food rations in his bag were getting low so he had to stretch out the time between meals, and even then the feast was small. The whole time his mind floundered in where he'd been and what lay before him. Same events, new faces.

"Another place where the faces are so cold
I'd drive all night just to get back home
"

Each small town he found showed the same thing to him. Barred doors and cold haylofts. Cloak and bags pulled close to his shivering frame, his mind went back to a city left behind him, back to a warm bed, and argentine eyed company. "That's in the past, and nothing there for me. Only things I can't have again"

"Sometimes I sleep, sometimes its not for days
And the people I meet always go their separate ways
"

Sleep was elusive as ever. Fighting to just fall into blissful slumber was futile. Up again, he left before the moon was even at its zenith and traveling at night was a mistake. Not even on the road an hour his horse stepped into a depression and snapped its ankle. Fighting down tears he bound Stepper's leg and carried him back to town. Something in Sylus urged him to keep moving, but with a lame horse he wouldn't get far.

"Sometimes you tell the day
By the bottle that you drink
And times when youre all alone all you do is think
"

Part of Sylus felt it betrayed Stepper by selling him to the owner of the Inn, but part of him felt it had let go of part of himself. A part better left behind. More days passed and he began to feel...free. The more distance he put between himself and anything he knew made more of the weight lift from his heart. In another matter of days he'd be somewhere that no one would find him, a place only Artemus would know of. The Temple of Chimara in Blackmoor. The location was known to very few, most of whom were dead, but it was the protection of the place he wanted. The entire temple was a null magic area, it was a place he'd be safe from everything except himself and the memories he wanted to run from.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

"I walk these streets, a loaded six string on my back
I play for keeps, cause I might not make it back
"

More days passed with the air only getting colder but the thick growth that blocked his path spoke volumes. Finally he was in a place that he could be alone. No one to resurrect a part of his life that hurt to much to think of. A part of himself that didn't want to let go. Eyes looked back the way he came and couldn't find it. "No turning back now"

"I been everywhere, still I'm standing tall
I've seen a million faces an I've rocked them all
"

Mile upon mile of marshland proved a test in and of itself. The deeper he moved the harder it was to go forward. Creatures crossed his path that didn't belong in the waking world. He found monstrocities that were distorted crossbreeds of man and lizard. Creatures that knew the swamp better than anything else and made sure outsiders were not welcome. The swamp wasn't like any place Sylus had been before. He saw plants that killed animals that tried to eat them, and reptiles large enough to eat a fully grown war-horse in its entirety. There was no turning back for him though, struggle after struggle he pushed on. Clothes torn and limbs bleeding he moved forward.

"I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride
I'm wanted dead or alive
"

The top of the temple was slowly coming into view above the swamps thick canopy. Sweat made his clothing chafe and cling to his body with each step, the temperature of the swamp reminded him of working at a forge in summer. Never enough water. Sylus could see the sun just starting to set as he came across and old set of tracks that looked similar to a train. "Guess someone tried to introdice civilization to this place. And it didn't want it."

"I'm a cowboy, I got the night on my side
I'm wanted dead or alive
"

Dusk brought the swamp to life around him, nothing was safe any more; not even himself. Scimitars in hand he cut a path towards the Temple of Chimara, something in his gut said he should get into it's stone walls quickly. Nearly there, something wrapped around his ankle and he was pulled into the underbrush yellow teeth clouding his vision.

"Wanted dead or alive"

( Words in Bold are lyrics from "Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi )
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Dragged along like a grain sack that fell off a wagon, the ground tore up his back with its rough contours and army of roots. Thorny dotted brambles and fallen branches snagged his clothing and tore into the revealed flesh. On and on the ride went without pause for his natural healing ability to take hold.

At the end of the painful ride blood rushed to his head as whatever had ahold of his leg hoisted him high into the air. Sylus's vision swam while he fought to orient himself, but the breath he felt on his face reeked of blood an rotten meat. His body moved on instinct more than rationale as he slashed out with Retribution, feeling the mythril blade bit deep into what had to be flesh. In the next moment he fell landing hard with a grunt but there wasn't any time to think as he had to move fast and avoid a swiping claw. In a mad scramble to get back to his feet, a tentacle or whip, he didn't see what it was, slashed the back of his hand forcing him to drop Redemption.

Damnit...now I'm mad." Moving Retribution to his right hand he slapped whip after whip away from his body, it was all he could do to keep pace with the lighting quick tentacles. The thing moved too fast for him to fight it evenly so he did the only thing he could. Turned and tried to put distance between himself and whatever that thing was. However he quickly learned it wasn't that easy. For miles the raging lizard creature hounded his every step forcing Sylus to use hit and run tactics to wound and slow it down. He finally caught a break when a lucky strike severed one of it's whip like tentacles. Roaring in pain it backed away from him. This was his chance. Hand tightening on Retributions hilt he rushed in and with a leap severed the beasty from hip to jowel. "I dunno what you are, but you're ugly, have bad breath, and make a dragon with a toothacke look friendly." He stopped then to let his injuries heal themselves before moving on. He was off the path now and finding the temple would be harder than hell. Setting off back towards the path a snapping sound to his right put him on edge just before he saw the net.

Return to “Kurgen Keep”