Realm of the Momus Estate

Moderator: Tasslehofl Momus

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Into Trouble

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

The dragonet rarely left Alais, but she had gone where he could not go. That left him alone on the island with his larger kin. He had followed Garl around for most of the day, but the big silver had grown weary of his diminutive shadow. One good snarl had been enough to send the dragonet off in search of other entertainments.

The green and growing parts of the island were located around the construction project, and the slope that led to the sea, but the dragonet had explored everything close to the building site there was to see, an so he flew off toward the far side of the island, away from the views of Odhran and Kadir.

The steep cliffs of the north side had always attracted birds that nested in the cliff face, but when the dragonet reached the cliffs, they were devoid of the darting birds that he had always loved to chase. The wind whistled mournfully over the empty rock face with the sea crashing against the barren stone far below. The dragonet landed and stood at the edge of the cliff face listening to the wind and waves. His talons dug into the bare ground as the wind buffeted his small body.

It was then that he noted movement far below him. Six or seven creatures were making their way up the wall, and disappearing into a cave or recess in the rocks below. The dragonet launched into the onshore breeze and circled out over the sea for several minutes before spiralling lower for a closer look at the curious creatures.

There was a fairly large opening in the rock face about 10 meters above the high tide level of the sea, and the white stone was sheer enough to require wings in order to reach this place. There were no hold fasts for climbing in this section of the cliffs. The black opening of the wall did not let the dragonet see very far into the crevasse, and so he flew closer for a look.

An arrow zinged from the blackness and tore a large hole in the dragonet's wing, sending the little creature careening out of controlled flight and into the white stone wall at full speed. He hit the stone, bounced off of it and fell the 10 meters to the broken surf zone below. The little dragon crashed hard into the rough stones and laid unmoving as the surf began to slowly make its way toward high tide.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The dragonet had crashed hard into the cliff face before landing with a bone shattering thump on the sharp rock below. The demon that had shot him poked its head out from the cave and found the diminutive body laying on the rocks far below, but it was just too small to make any kind of meal, and it declined to risk the climb to retrieve the dragonet, and withdrew into the caverns once more. Unaware that life remained within the tiny creature.

The tide was beginning its inexorable march landward, each wave rising higher than the last. It did not take long for the salty water to wash against the torn wing of the dragonet, waking it with a painful wash of salt water into the wound left by the black arrow. It yelped, but found itself unable to move away from the stinging surge, which before long would literally wash the dragonet further ashore, and onto more and more jagged rocks, where the sea would likely crush the tiny creature very quickly.

The dragonet tried to pull the torn wing against its body in an effort to make itself more stream lined and more difficult to wash away, but the tide was much stronger than the tiny animal, and it was only a matter of time before a wave would dislodge him from his precarious perch.

He needed help, but along this deserted stretch of coast, no one would see him.
Kor Jon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Kor Jon »

Jacob passed through the clouds laughing like a maniac. He'd been told to "keep a low profile" for so long that his return to the Emerald Isles felt like he'd been released from a prison cell. And he knew about prison cells...though generally release had to do with more than adequate amounts of dynamite but whose fault was that really?

He'd gotten up early to go see Alais and tell her that he was back. She would definitely want to see him, and listen to all his new stories. Three months of dimension hopping, recruiting new storm knights for Sai Jon's new academy and Jacob was simply bursting with harrowing stories of heroism...and Sai Jon was in one of those "keep talking and I'll remove your knee caps with a blow torch" moods that he was so famous for, so he thought, he might find more receptive ears elsewhere.

He skimmed down over the waves, slapping them as he passed over them so he could feel the salt spray in his face. He was coming up on the cliffs of Matlal when he spotted a tiny figure struggling in among the rocks. Putting on a burst of speed he hit the rocky beach running and skidded to a halt as he recognized the figure as a baby dragon who had been injured. Its wing was torn and it was whimpering pitifully as it tried to pull its wing inwards.

"Hello little guy. Looks like you had an accident. Uncle Jacob's going to give you a lift and you're not going to try and bite him ok?" Jacob approached the tiny dragon slowly and helped it to fold its wing against its body. The dragonet let out a pained scream as Jacob lifted it as gently as he could. "Shhh, little guy. We're going home now and they'll fix you all up." He turned towards the cliff and launched himself into the air with several beats of his metallic wings.

As they climbed, they passed an opening in the cliff wall and an arrow shot out scraping across Jacobs arm. In his surprise, Jacob almost dropped the dragonet but his reflexes had been pounded into him by years of war. He dropped sideways dodging another arrow and fired both barrels of his shotgun into the opening. He was rewarded by a howl of pain as he shot away parallel to the cliff rising steadily into the air. Turning sharply, he headed towards the manor hoping that he wasn't being chased by too many big nasty things. After all, baby sitting and warfare don't mix.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Jacob had flown back to the construction site and Alais was surprised to see him back. He had been out doing recruiting work for Sai Jon, and been absent for months; now he landed near her rebuilding project carrying the dragonet that had been missing for days.

She rushed over to Jacob, and discovered that the wee beastie had been shot, and his wing torn by a large arrow head. He had bruises and had clearly suffered a terrible fall.

She wrapped the dragonet up gently, thanking Jacob before she headed for the stone structure talking softly to the dragonet. But Jacob followed, talking the entire way.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Having the dragonet returned was a relief, but his condition was troubling. Someone has shot him, and it certainly would not have been any of the dragons on Matlal who would have done such a thing. Garl was still away, and Jacob’s rendition of what happened was confusing at best. But there was only one conclusion, and that is that there are some of the invaders still hiding on Matlal.

There is no way to know how many, but the terrain suggests they have to split into small groups in order to remain hidden from the dragons that regularly fly over the isle. That means I have to go hunting for them.

Before heading to Matlal for this clean up operation, I decided to head to the Arena, hoping to find Tass and let him know what had happened, but when I arrived, it was only Djinx and I in the room. I conjured a glass of liquid Fire, and sipped it, asking the djinn how he was doing.

A pair of eyes swept over the Arena, as if contemplating before dryly announcing that he was bored.

Not long after that however, Topaz arrived, and the djinn glanced at the fairy as he said “I find dueling to be a great way to release some of my bottled up stress.”

I was curious how Djinx had wound up being tied to his urn for all eternity, but the djinn was not into sharing much of his past, nor how he’d come to be in his present state. He left my query with an enigmatic answer, “I'll only say I upset a man I should not have.”

Topaz announced that she and her mate were expecting a wee bairn in March, and I gave her my congratulations. It had been 20 years since I had my twins, and now find myself with only a son as my daughter has chosen to sever her ties with me and lead her own life within the walls of that Temple. But, I could not dwell upon that tonight. There were plans to be made for the straggles that remained on my island, but it did not look promising for me to run into Tass.

Gnimish came stomping down the stairs, dragging Drakhan along, and singing in his peculiar, off key way that brought a chuckle from Rena as she watched the lizard and gnome make their way to his usual seat. The gnome paused, greeting everyone in the room. Then settled down to talk to Rena about a gift he’d sent her, and she handed him a box of caramels for Drakhan.

Gnimish plucked out one caramel and tosses it a distance away, apparently thinking the lizard needed the exercise. Drakhan rapidly waddled after the sweet, and I smiled. “Drakhan didst take good care o’ th’ dragonet Gnim, bu’ sae ye ken, ‘e was found ‘n some serious trouble th’ oother day.”

Gnimish glanced at me, “A bit o’ trouble Alais?” He turned to try to keep track of several conversations at once, “can’t be any worse than bein’ chased around by one of my chefs.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I shook my head, “'e was shot, 'n crashed against th' rocks. 't was fortunate tha' Jacob hath r'eturned.”

That seemed to catch Drakhan’s attention, and he paused to watch me closely as I continued, “we ‘aff ‘ad invaders, ‘n Ah dae suspect some o’ ‘em ‘re ‘oled up ‘pon Matlal. They didst shoot ‘im. We’re gae’in’ ‘untin’ fer th’ vermin.”

Gnimish glanced down at Drakhan as the word ‘hunting’ was mentioned, admonishing the lizard, “don’t even ask.”

Drakhan waddled over to Gnimish and thwapped his tail on the floor with a *thud*, which earned him a shake of the gnomes head. “Nope, ya forget about it.” Then Gnimish looked back at me, “So the wee one is ok though?”

I sipped the amber liquid a moment, the dragonet had been badly wounded, but would survive, “’e was shot through th’ wing, ‘n seems tae haff fallen oot o’ th’ sky froom a great ‘eight, bu’ ‘e’ll mend.”

Gnimish nodded and glanced down at Drakhan, “Ya hear? It’s fine, now drop it.” He grumbled a bit more, and then Drakhan waddled over and flopped down by me, his tail still thumping against the floor. I would happily have included Drakhan in the hunt for the ones who shot down the dragonet, but Gnimish did not seem in favor of allowing me to do that. And so I reached down to pet Drakhan, and suspected he was hungry, so I set a plate down in front of him with several sweets on it, a couple of cookies, a piece of apple pie, and was surprised to see Drakhan wistfully studying the box of caramels that Gnimish was hoarding away from its intended recipient.

I suspect Gnimish thinks Drakhan is being spoiled by everyone bringing him treats and goodies, but the little dragon is so very cute. How can one help but spoil him?

I left Drakhan to engage Bran in a duel to keep Djinx out of boredom, and I heard Gnimish call Drakhan back to him. After winning the match, I headed back to my sofa, still hoping to run into Tass. I glanced around for Drakhan, but he was happily getting pets and scratches from Rena and Topaz.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The Marchioness paused on the landing of the Arena, and I was startled by her appearance. She was nothing but skin and bones, with her collar bones protruding beyond a healthy level, and it appeared as though a stiff breeze would blow the woman away. This was distinctly not the woman I had met weeks ago.

She used the hand rail to walk slowly down the stairs, and she found a table very close to the stairs, which was also not usual for her. I wonder if she is ill to bring about such terrible weight loss and weakness.

She was greeted by Topaz and Bran, and the fairy frowned at her, “You look terrible. Did the cook quit?”

I quirked a brow at that query from the fairy, cooks can be replaced rather readily. But she gave Topaz a questioning look before telling her that her chef, Andre has been just fine, and then proceeded to greet the gnome, as though the topic were to be dismissed. But Topaz was not going to let it go so readily, “Then his feelings must be hurt.”

She turned pale blue eyes on the fairy, “what makes you say that?” When Topaz told her that she should look into a mirror, the Marchioness shook her head, “I avoid it of late.” Topaz was pushing hard and informed the too thin woman that being nothing but skin and bones was not healthy, and she asked her if she had heard the story of the soup fool.

Azjah gave a slight grimace, “I am hardly skin and bones.”

Topaz was not going to let it be, “No? What do you call it then? You have deeply sunken eyes and such.” With that, she began her tale about the soup fool, whether Azjah wanted to hear it or not. At the end of the tale, Azjah shook her head, “that is a bit extreme.”

I glanced at both of them as Topaz told her, “Yes, you look like him a day or so before he died. Rather extreme, I totally agree.” There was clear concern in the fairy’s eyes, but the Marchioness shook her head and took a long drink of the sparkling water she favored.

I finished my Liquid Fire, and asked Gnimish to be sure to tell Drakhan that I hoped to have his friend up and about in a week or so. He grinned, looking down at the lizard, “see, just a week, ya can calm down lizard.”

Something was said about making wishes, and Azjah met Topaz’s eyes, “A wish is not to be taken lightly. In my mood, the wish could have serious repercussions.”

Topaz agreed, “aye, one should be very careful what one wishes for. Chances are one may actually get what one wished for.

Bran heard Topaz, and started to say something, but the last time he wished for something, there was the entire giant June bug incident compliments of Djinx.

Topaz watched Azjah, “people have made stupider wishes than those for a nice, juicy sausage, or June bug in Bran’s case.” But still Azjah did not give voice to a wish, which around a fairy can be a risky thing.

Gnimish chuckled, “I dunno, that sure was a pretty stupid wish…”

Bran took umbrage at that, “Ssstupid? Well, it sssure tasssted good.”

Gnimish scoffed, “but ya can find bugs anywhere!”

“Not that sssize! That wasss a meal fit for a king!” Bran shot back at the gnome.

Azjah pulled herself up using the stair railing, now her choice of places to sit making sense. She bade Topaz, Bran and Djinx a good evening before slowly making her way up the stairs. I took that opportunity to leave as well.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The next evening, I arrived at the Arena later than usual, and found a rather larger gathering than was usual, and I was happy to see Tass was in a ring. I would have a chance to speak to him about the shooting of the dragonet, and my plans to go hunting for the remnants that must still be on the island.

Xenograg sensed my arrival and bade me a good evening, and as I got comfortable, I said hello, and Wyheree said hello as well, but I was in mid incantation and could not respond to her as quickly as I would have liked.

As I passed Tass, I asked him to join me when his match was finished, and said hello to Topaz and Gnimish. Tass was finished and followed me to my sofa at the back of the room. I was surprised to see Falon seated at the bar, without a blade, and buried deeply into a glass of meade.

Tass sat down, “what can I do fer yah hun?”

I took a sip of the amber liquid, “Ah’ve ‘ad a wee bit o’ trouble Tass, an’ Ah’m gae’in’ ‘untin’ fer tha’ trouble.”

He lifted a brow at me, “Oh? And Jacob?”

“Jacob didst find th’ wee one, shot by ‘n arrow, none o’ th’ dragons wouldst haff done such a thin’, tha’ means Ah’ve still got invaders ‘idin’ ‘pon th’ land.” I send Hubie for a plate of cookies to feed to Drakhan.

“I mean, is he not going with you?” Tass asked.

I glanced at Tass as I savored the aroma of the Liquid Fire, “Ah’d rather nae ‘aff Jacob ‘in ‘arms way. Ah’m gaein’ alone.” There was no point in dragging Jacob out for such a small thing. What ever was out there was in small groups or singles or the dragons would have seen them before now. And Jacob had done enough by finding the dragonet and returning it to me.

Drakhan smelled the cookies and hastily dragged the plate to a slightly less open area, as though he were afraid some other hungry beastie might try to take them away from him.

Tass snorted, and I continued, “they cannae be large bands, they’d haff been seen by th’ oothers ‘f ‘t were large numbers.”

Tass shook his head, “you’re telling that crazy lizard he’s going to not be in harm’s way?”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Falon stirred then, he had been addressed by Topaz, and he patted his empty scabbard, “You wouldn’t happen to know someone called Sloth, would you?” She did, but told Falon that Slothie hadn’t been to the Arena in years, and the mention of an old familiar name drew my attention to Falon as he said “I’m told he has my sword.”

Topaz grinned mischievously “I wonder where he keeps it, seeing as he never wears more than a loin cloth.”

Falon glowered, “I’m told he bought it at,” his voice lowered further, “at a pawn shop.” He grimaced, hoping no one else had heard, but elven hearing being what it is, I did hear him, as well as when Topaz asked Falon if he had pawned his own sword.

Falon’s voice rose markedly, “NO! It was stolen.”

That explained much, Falon had never been without his sword when I had known him. Topaz voiced my question as well, “oh, how’d you loose it?” He leaned closer and whispered to her, so I missed the means by which he came to be without his sword.

Topaz studied Falon a moment, “You know, they have smithys in town now. They make and sell swords there.” She was trying to be helpful, but the blade Falon had carried was more than simple steel.

Falon grabbed her by the arm, speaking softly, “we’re not talking about your typical sword sweetheart, it’s THE Sword of Life.”

Thunder echoed above the Arena abruptly, as Topaz disengaged herself from Falon’s grip, “Oh. It is magical, or ist it special for sentimental value?”

Falon sighed as she asked him, “you mean it raises the dead instead of killing people dead?” He then went back to his meade without another word.

Gnimish whispered to the fairy, “don’t mind him, he’s a big jerk.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I turned back to Tass, “Ah’m sendin’ ‘im back tae Odhran.” If I sent Jacob back to Odhran, he would not be around when I went hunting for the trespassers.

Tass grinned that grin that always sets my nerves on end, “you tell him.”

I smiled back, “Ah shall, ‘n th’ mornin’.”

He winked, “we’ll see. I’ll be telling him as well.”

I nodded my appreciation, “Ah dae appreciate yer ‘elp. Ah’d figured ‘e’d object.”

Tass blinked, “I’m afraid you misunderstand. I’m telling him that you are going to make sure he knows.”

I drew up short at that, ‘Ah dinnae need tha’ kind o’ ‘elp.” The last thing I needed was to have him alert Jacob! Tass simply grinned at me, and so I took a sip of the amber liquid, “Neffer mind Tass, Ah’ll leave b’fore ye mayst warn ‘im thence.” I would go tonight, and get a head start before Jacob would know.

Tass lifted a brow at me, “you think it’s that easy with me?”

I picked up another cookie for Drakhan, holding it low and close to the ground as I answered him, “Aye, ‘t shouldst be.”

The lizard quickly gobbled up the cookie, warily watching Topaz as he did so. Gnimish looked between Drakhan and me, “ya know, now I know why I come here, ya ladies keep my Drakhan-feeding bills down.” He chuckled merrily.

I smiled as Drakhan took the cookie and made off with it, then gave Gnimish a soft laugh before facing Tass again. Tass, Ah dinnae wish tae risk yer friends anna more.” I had involved them in a war that was not theirs to fight. Hunting down this rag-tag band of stragglers was not the job of Sai Jon or his people.

“Leave that to them to decide.” Tass gave me a wink as he said it.
“Nay,” was my answer to him. There had been too much risk to them for such a simple hunting task.

Tass gave me a light poke in the ribs, “and if I told you that you were not going, what would you do?”

I gave him a cool look, “Ah must gae.” There was not doubt of my going. It was, after all, my island to protect.

He watched me a moment, “yet here you sit telling others what to do. Don’t work that way hun.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I could not disagree more with him. It was my job to protect the island, and that meant I had every right to say who went and who did not go on this hunt. I frowned then, “’t ist mine r’sponsibility, nae theirs. They haff their oon troubles tae deal wi’.” Not the least of which was that Sai Jon’s son was now trapped in Riverbend, but this was not the time to tell Tass that news.

Tass clucked softly, “their responsibility is their own, not what you say it is.”

I sipped the amber liquid before answering, “Neffer mind Tass.” It would be better if Tass not speak to Jacob given his view on this matter.

He gave me one of his enigmatic smiles, “You’ll understand soon enough.”

I lowered another cookie to Drakhan, but my eyes held his, “indeed?”

He chuckled softly, “yes, that no matter what you want, others will be the only one’s who can decide what they will do, you won’t do what others tell you to do, so why should others do what you tell them?” He winked then, “it’s a two way street,” he added.

Xenograg leaned closer to Destre, who had recently arrived, “see that man Topaz is talking to? That is Falon.” Apparently Destre was not familiar with one of the oldest legends of the rings.

She leaned closer to hear Xeno, then glanced at Falon where he sat nursing his meade, she then nodded at Xeno, “Thank ya Darlin’, I was wondering who that was, cause I don’t remember ever seein’ ‘im before.”

Falon ordered yet another meade, cocking a brow at Xeno and Des, but did not look fully at either of them. He remained focused upon his drink. Seemingly oblivious to anything around him, but I knew he was acutely tuned to everything happening around him. It was a studied and nearly perfect façade he maintained.

I pulled my attention away from Falon, shaking my head at Tass, “Ah usualla dae wha’ Ah dae feel ist righ’.” And right now I felt it was right to send Jacob away rather than risk him.

Tass grinned, “as will others, remember that.” He then invited me to duel, but his stand had made it clear that I needed to depart now, before he could get to Jacob. I glanced at Falon, and then Tass in a meaningful way.

Tass nodded, “he’s lookin’ for Slothy, and reinstatement.” With that, Tass then spotted Cory, the current Overlord, and issued a challenge to him instead.

Falon continued to drink, ordering yet another meade as Xenograg explained to Destre that Falon was never without the Sword of Life, it had been a very special sword, at least in Falon’s hands, but Xeno had never delved into the why’s or where-for’s.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I sipped my liquid fire thoughtfully as Des glanced at the heavily drinking Falon, “oh dear” she whispered to Xenograg. Falon kicked a chair out and put his feet up, getting comfortable both with his position and with the number of meade glasses he’d imbibed.

Tass had found his duel, and it would allow me to slip away into the night with minimal fuss, and without having Tass follow me. I turned my gaze on Falon a moment, wondering if the years had been kind to him, or if he had lost the touch he had once had with a blade. And now that the Sword of Life was missing from his side, would he be the man I remembered?

Tass patted my leg gently as he rose to duel with Cory, and I bade him good luck. Knowing it would do no good to hide it, I told him I would be gone before he finished.

He winked back at me, “Our friend already knows.”

I smiled back, “’e better nae.”

Tass smiled his best imitation of a winning smile before moving off toward the ring, his staff coming into his hand enroute.

I paused to set the remainder of the plate of cookies down before Drakhan before heading for the doors. Gnimish came out from behind the bar just in time to see Drakhan getting more goodies. I smiled and waved good bye to Gnimish, and then to Xenograg before whispering in Annaran, dissipating into a column of shimmering silver and making my way back to Matlal to begin my hunt for the stragglers.

Return to “Emerald Isle”