Invitations and Interviews

From ship to shore, duels to duty. Jaleeisa's adventures in life, love, work and play.

Moderators: Jaleeisa, Chereylen

Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

Having spent the day out in the countryside to deal with problems in the ever fragile balance between man and animal, it came as a pleasant surprise to return to his shop and find such a lovely gift from Jaleeisa. A warm smile played at his thin lips as fingers traced over the engraged name on the wineskin. Emerald hues scanned over the apology briefly, such an explanation was not necessary for he knew the nexus to be such an unpredictable thing, but the gift and letter were very touching.

"I wonder how I might phrase my reply..." The proper words had just begun to flow into his mind and onto the parchment before him when the bell sounded to announce a new customer. "Drat and bebother.." To add irritation to frustration it was the woman from the other day asking if the angel pendent for her daughter was completed yet. He had told her one week, did no one in this city have any patience? With a roll of his eyes he retrieved the said item of jewelery from his work table and brought it back over to the woman, and per his policy the pendent was not handed over till he was given payment..and just to be spiteful he made the woman count out the coins..and wait while he weighed the coins to make sure she wasn't trying to cheat him. The woman was of a wealthy family and had no reason to try and pull such schemes, but he was in a spiteful mood for being interrupted. And all the while he laid a few enchantments on the pendent so that three days after the woman placed the pendent on her daughter, the girl would develope a pareticular bad case of chicken pox. If the daughter was as bloated and snobbish as the mother, Artemus was sure the other nobles would get quite a laugh from it.

The noblewoman was sent on her way with a wave and a smile and a thank you for blessing his shop with her business and to please recommend him to her friends and family. All the while he was laughing his ass of on the inside at the nasty surprise awaiting that little girl.

Back in his office Art was penning a letter to Jal saying things along the lines of that he understood completely, and the gifts while lovely were not necessary but he would treasure them always. Then after a few flowery serpentine worded lines, humbly asked her if she would like to go sailing with him in a day or two.

The letter was then neatly folded and placed in one of the business envelopes he used to send customers an announcement that their order(s) had been finished. Pulling out a stick of rich blue wax, not unlike the color of the dress he had made for her, he held it over a candle to so he could seal the letter with his sygil. One hand resting on the enveloped letter, the other held three fingers to his forehead as the image of Jaleeisa's room came to his mind's eye. Quick muttered words had the letter vanishing from beneath of his hand to appear on the pillows of her bed. Then the bell sounded again to announce another customer.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
BrigathC
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Luftbeutel

Post by BrigathC »

Brigath tapped politely on the door of Jaleeisa's room at the Inn. He had received her note about becoming an official on the Isle and decided almost immediately that he would hire her. He knew she would do a fine job, and personality wise, she fit right in. His lips twitched upward as another thought struck him. With bringing Jal on board, three of the Isle's four regular shifts would be covered by some of the most beautiful women he knew in RhyDin. The business man in him was thrilled by the marketing possibilities, and the man in him was just thrilled. He quickly schooled his face back to a serious expression as he heard motion on the other side of the door. Just because he knew he was going to hire her, didn't mean he couldn't have some fun with Jal before he let her know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaleeisa laughed. "Are you serious?" She held up the bag that Brig had given her which contained 7 gauzy strips of cloth, not quite transparent.

Brig nodded with a stern look on his face but a twinkle in his eye and said "Oh yes. Very. I will turn my back while you prepare, but once I turn around, the trial will begin. Surely someone who is skilled at weather control like you should be able to keep a few puffs of air from dislodging the veils. A simple enough test, don't you agree?" And with that he turned to face the door.

Jal was more than half tempted just to strip naked and tell him to turn around, but she knew that what might embarrass some would just amuse Brigath all the more. And he had performed his own veil dance admirably in this very room several weeks before. So she gathered her magic as she disrobed and then arranged the veils in the most frustratingly almost revealing manner she could contrive. "All right, Brig. Turn around and give it your best shot. But I'll warn you, you aren't going manage to get a peep show out of me that easily. And you'd BETTER give me a job after this." Her words matched his for sternness, but so did the gleam in her eyes match his.

She laughed merrily as Brig turned around and she felt the first tug of wind at the veil draped artfully over her shoulder and down across her breast.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Later that day, Jal returned to her room, arms loaded with bundles wrapped in a plethora of materials, everything from rough paper to corse burlap was represented. With a sigh of relief, she kicked back gently to close the door. That unbalancing cost her, two of the awkwardly juggled packages slid from the pile. One, wrapped in burlap simply thunked at her feet, the other, bound in muslin slid under the bed. A frown creased her forehead, now she’d have to crawl under there and fish it out. "At least it made it to the room,” she sighed. "And at least it didn’t drop in the middle of the street and burst open.” Another frown directed towards the errant package as she moved towards the bed to drop the rest. A cant of head as she noted the envelope resting against her pillows. A frown swiftly following. She’d locked the door, she knew she had. The key was still in her hand where she’d just unlocked the door. Standing very still, senses reaching out, blanketing the room. Packages still awkward in her arms, but before she dropped them to draw the dagger in her boot, she wanted to know just how big the intruder was. No sense in alarming it before she had some idea what she was dealing with, right?

A soft breeze moved over the room, questing, the curtain at the window fluttered gently against the pane. But that breeze moved over and around nothing save the rooms’ few furnishings. The bed, of course, the table and chair, the wash stand were all accounted for. Her sword, resting in the corner to the left of the door, for easy access should someone unwelcome come calling, was found. The wardrobe, the door slightly ajar, as she’d left it when she’d gotten her boots that morning. Her ears found nothing either, aside from the well muffled sounds of the common room below and the street traffic outside her window. She shifted her senses to detect any magic, perhaps her Captain’s murderer had found her and left a magical trap, he’d displayed such skills. But that really didn’t make much sense, she acknowledged to herself. Why let her get all the way into the room before it would spring?

Her features clearing a little as she found nothing of danger, except the smallest tingle embracing the envelope. A soft, relieved chuckle as she realized that someone had simply sent her a letter by magical means. Perhaps it was Brig, responding to her enquiry about a job on the Island. He was a mage, after all. Dropping her packages to the bed, where the promptly bounced and scattered, one dropping to thunk on her toe. A soft cruse muttered as she sat on the edge of the bed to rub it, scooting packages further back with her rear. Reaching for the envelope, she drew the dagger from her boot top to slid under the seal. A smile changing her features instantly as she recognized Art’s seal.

That smile remained as she drew forth the letter, unfolding it to scan the elegant script. The smile widening with pleasure as she read the invitation to go sailing.“ Ah.. The sea spray in my hair again..” she mumbled softly as she read it through again. “Unless he has plans of a lake sail, which would be fine too. Being on any type of boat again will be fun. Either way sounds like a grand time. He’s kind to invite me after I vanished like that at the wedding.”

Reaching to scoop up the package that had hit her toe, the letter laid aside for a moment to unwrap it. A lovely cherrywood writing box was soon revealed. Examining it carefully to see that it’d taken no hurt in it’s plummet. A sigh of appreciation for the lovely work, she made mental note to commend the shopkeep for wrapping it so securely. She’d purchased it, along with other writing materials, such as a soft sea tinted parchment, for correspondence. She already needed to write Des and Gavilean a thank you note for the lovely favor that had been given at the wedding. And for royalty, a scrap of old parchment or wrapping paper would not be acceptable. Taking up the letter once more, she moved with her materials in hand to the table. Setting the letter from Art beside her book of keeping, she opened the writing box and settled to attend her correspondence....
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Settling back in her chair with a sigh, Jal wiped the tip of her quill with a scrap of cloth from the writing box’s wrapping. A nod and sigh as she glanced over the two envelopes settled on the table, the ink drying before she sent them on their way. Replacing the quill in it’s strap in the case’s lid, the ink bottle firmly stoppered with a slight twist of wrist. Mentally she reviewed the contents of both notes while admiring once more the delicately blue tinted parchment.

Dear Art,
I would very much enjoy going sailing with you. Let me know where and when and I’ll pack us a picnic lunch to take. Is there anything you particularly like or dislike in viands? I’ll also bring along another bottle of the wine I sent you. If I can contribute anything else to the outing, please let me know.
Eagerly awaiting the outing,
Jal

The other letter had been more difficult. How did one address royalty around here? She’d pondered and labored over this one. To the point of actually unwrapping a package bound in rough paper to write a draft. But finally it was done, keeping it slightly formal, yet comfortable to her own nature seemed the best way to go. She’d met Des and was pretty sure she didn’t stand much on formality, but Gavilean might be a different matter, so she’d kept to a midline she hoped wouldn’t cause offence.

Your Highnesses, Des and Gavilean Starfare,

I wished to thank you both for the lovely favor you sent from the wedding. What I was able to attend of it was wonderous. Thank you both for inviting me and allowing me to attend your most special of days. Please accept the accompanying gift as my pleasure in your happiness and my continued good wishes for your future. I also wish to offer my sincere apologies for my abrupt and early departure. The Nexus kidnapped me and set requirements to be met that saw me returned after the festivities had ended, unfortunately. I look forward to being able to offer my apologies in person.

The gods blessing upon your union,
Jaleeisa Windstar

Putting her writing materials away securely in the fitted case. A lean in her chair snagged a gift wrapped in a delicate blue silk, bound with silver ribbon. Resting in a rosewood box, molded dark blue velvet cushioning the contents carefully, was a double candle holder shaped as two hearts interlocked. Brightly polished silver gleamed in the light from the window, dancing over their names and the date of their nuptials etched in delicate script on the base. Snuggled to each side was a deep blue hand-poured taper candle scented with a special blend of rose. Having about driven the poor candlemaker to tears as she worked with him, the oils needed to be a unique blend, one to remind her of the flowers at the wedding. But finally, it had seemed right. Resting below the pure beeswax candles was a small vial of the same blended oils along with a card noting that it had been specially blended to remind them of their wedding and a flagon was awaiting their pleasure to pick up at the candlemaker’s shop having been paid to hold as purchased by Jaleeisa. Note was also made that the oils could be blended into more candles, bath oils or massage oils by their choosing. And the name had been given to the oils, in their honor as “Destiny” and the recipe would be held for their use only.

Gathering up both the notes and the gift, Jal strode from the room, on her way to deliver them. Art’s note would be left at his shop, Des and Gavilean’s gift and note would be sent by messenger to their home in the city.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Interview

Post by Jaleeisa »

Feeling the first tug, closing her eyes momentarily, solid flows of air held the strip in place. Gray eyes glowed slightly as she increased the flow to keep herself covered with the strategically placed strips. A grin as she then altered the flows, just a little, allowing certain strips to flutter teasingly, just a hair shy of actually revealing anything. While she locked those flows in place, she turned to weaving something born of an impish mind. Keeping her expression carefully serious, a playful flow of air whispered over his form, teasing hand stroking here and there, then darting away to roam other areas of his anatomy. All the while, a thin tendril of cool water rose from the wash pitcher on her stand. Swaying like a serpent enchanted, it wove it’s way behind Brigath. Ever so carefully it rose behind him, a finger of water oh so stealthily finding the edge of his collar.

He wanted to play? Well, two could do that as easily as one. “So, is it customary to test applicants with their skills this way?”,pure impish teasing lacing her voice and eyes. “I mean, it doesn’t even cover the ability to manage the duties of calling, just displays their control of their particular talents..” Working to keep him distracted with both her question and the almost, but never quite falling away strips of cloth. Taking a step towards him, a grin curving lips. That thin stream of water was ready to make it’s move.
BrigathC
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Luftbeutel

Post by BrigathC »

Brig smiled inwardly as he began to shift microcurrents in the room and the veils started to flutter. He was a little bit surprised at how skilled she actually was, though with the Key around his neck he could have over-ridden her controls at any time. It was an unfair advantage though and so he was careful to keep their battle for control of the winds at the level where she could maintain as much modesty as she wished.

Unfortunately she was also very skilled at maintaining the bare minimum of modesty and he was sorely tempted many times to strengthen a gust of wind just a little bit to catch her off guard. Especially when she did her clever trick with the wind getting fresh. But though he was laughing inside, he merely stood with his arms folded, his face calm and unrevealing.

Until she spoke.

Then he just couldn't hold the facade any longer. He placed a confused look on his face and tipped his head slightly to the side. "Calling? Oh dear..." He pursed his lips, furrowed his brow and shook his head. "I'm afraid there's been some confusion. This trial has nothing to do with you being a caller." He could no longer keep the grin off of his face. "Someone suggested that I start a harem in the Tower of Air and I thought you might be a likely candidate. So far you are doing very well. You might want to reveal just a bit more of your hip there, though." He pointed, and this time let the burst of air overwhelm her spell and slide the veil away from her shapely hip. "I've already decided to hire you as a caller," he added, almost as an afterthought.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

It had been a handful of hours since the letter to Jal had been sent when the Archdruid decided to go and check to see if it had reached her alright. Never hurt to ask, and he did want to see her again and perhaps thank her in person for the fine wine and skin to keep it in. Staff of Illusion in hand, he walked that short distance from his shop to the next district over, making his way to the Red Dragon Inn.

Humming a soft tune under his breath he scanned the common room to see if she was about, but didn't see her at the tables or bar, so he figured she must be in her room. Moving up the stairs two at a time as was his habit, he stopped just outside her door and was about to knock when he heard Brigath's laugh from the other side of the door and frowned. "So he's pursuing her as well? Guess the game is on once more...least there are less competitors this time round..." A slow nod of his head to reaffirm his composure, but then he let out a soft sigh of relief hearing that this visit was just about her calling duels on the Isle, Jal had mentioned she was going to request being certified to call the duels. Maybe he could be a bit of a lucky charm for him? Only time and fortune held the answer to that. Feel a bit more confident about the situation he knocked on the door, three quick, firm raps against the wood as he spoke.
"Room for a party-crasher in there?" Smiling slyly at his words, because for the most part he was crashing a party. Brig's at least.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Gray eyes widened a little, then Jal’s features settled back into that slightly teasing manner. “Harem? Well, I’m not sure about that, Brig. I mean, one would need to try the goods, first, aye? How else could a man decide if he wanted a lass in his harem? Unless you just want someone to feed you grapes and wipe your chin after a sip of wine?” Tilting her head slightly, she let her control of the solid flows of air relax just the merest bit, the strip of cloth resting down over one shoulder waving gaily, and rising just a little higher than it had a moment before. “Or do you wish a lass to soothe you with soft music? Unfortunately, that’s a role I can’t fill... I neither play nor sing. Oh! I have it!”, gray eyes dancing with merriment. “You want a lass that will soothe your bruises from the rings! I’d be willing, of course, and could manage that nicely if I could gain a few things from an apocrathery. Maybe some of it would even smell...well.. Not quite so unpleasant.”

With that, she readied to wrap him in solid air, that same air that had been so teasingly caressing a moment before, and hold him for the wetting to come. Just as she went to unknot the flows that held the bits of cloth in place, the knock came at the door. Hearing Art asking if he would be crashing the party, a truly wicked grin appeared. Calling out to Art to join them, Jal’s plan changed with rapidity of thought. Hastily reworking the planned weaves, the bits of cloth were allowed to be whisked away by Brig’s own spells once her own resisting flows vanished. As the door opened, the water flowed with force down Brig’s back, very nicely chilled by being held in the flows of air for so long. Just as the door came fully open, exposing her to not only Brig and Art, but potentially any passerby as well, a twist to the air flows and they gathered moisture from the water and a flick of wrist sent it all spinning about her sky-clad form. Within mere seconds, a cloud as stormy gray as her eyes writhed around Jal’s lithe figure, leaving only bare toes and her head clearly visible. The light sprinkling of freckles across her nose standing out slightly, the only sign of strain, whether from the swiftly spun flows or the modesty at being found nude with two men at her door, as she eyed the two men.

“So, I’ll plan to start work on the Island Monday nights, aye, Brig? As far as the harem, we’ll discuss that further when we’ve a chance. In the meantime, I’d use the towel hanging over the wardrobe door to dry off a bit, wouldn’t want you catching chill.” Her voice as steady as though she’d met the pair on the street and fully clothed, and very proud of that fact. A very small, thin bolt of lightening flickered towards Brig, threatening his breeches as she finished, then turned to Art. “How are you, Art? I left a note at your shop. I’d enjoy going sailing.”

A wide grin forming gently curved lips as she watched the two. Just waiting for their reactions.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

Door halfway closed behind him, eyes stared blankly at her for a handful of moments as if the brain were trying to catch up with what the eyes saw in front of him. With a cough, his throat was cleard as he shut the door behind him before turning back to the pair.

"I'm always late to the party. Prefer to be the first to arrive and the last to leave" Was the ready reply on his tongue, but then he thought better and looked from Jal to Brig with a amused smile, eyes looking over the cloud-blurred Jaleeisa. "You look better without the cloud, covering yourself this way leaves me with the ability to talk." That smile became a roguish grin as he leaned back against the door. "Though I'll be honest and admit those stormy eyes of yours are a set of pools a man could drown in if he's not wary."

Eyes then moved back to Brigath. "Good to see you Brig, might I ask what brings you here?" Slight smile on his lips attention was refocused on Jal. "If I'm intruding I can go, since I know not how open minded you both are..." He looked from one to the other, that grin sliding easily back onto his tanned features, knowing very well that things could be rather interesting. And he still thinks he did a better veil dance than Brig and Tass, course youth had that advantage.

Then it was back to Jal. "Good, good. A day out on the waters will be a welcome endeavor for us both I think. There are many things to see on the shore, but nothing beats being out on the open water with the sun and the spray and the stars at night to be your guides." A sage nod accompanied his words. For it was the truth. Despite having only gone sailing one other time before, when Anne Xile taught him how to sail, he had leaned that truth then. Feeling the sea spray on your face, sleeping on deck under the stars at night, and living off the land had become an idea of heaven to him. Still was despite obligations pressed by his daughter and religious station. "There is a Schooner at the docks, you'll know the vessel when you see it, for I take very good care of her." He'd leave the tidbit about it being the same schooner he had learned to sail on for later.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
BrigathC
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Luftbeutel

Post by BrigathC »

Brigath's eyes shot wide open in surprise as the figid water soaked his back, so he had an excellent view of Jal's quick change act. The shocked "O" of his mouth quickly changed to pursed lips and an appreciative whistle.

He chuckled to himself as Art turned on the charm, and took the opportunity to strip his shirt up over his head. A brief, highly localized twister quickly wrung the shirt dry, and he tossed it over his shoulder with a grin to Jal while he waited for Art to finish.

"No need for you to leave, Art," his eyes twinkling and not leaving Jal as he spoke. "Our business is finished for now. Mondays will be lovely, Jaleeisa. Lovlier even than I had first anticipated." He raised an eyebrow at her with his last statement and a mischievous smile played about his lips. "And since it appears you two have some business of your own to discuss, I will take my leave."

He turned towards the door and paused to lay a friendly hand on Art's shoulder. "By the way, I agree with you. She DOES look better without the cloud." With that, he redirected several key currents in the spinning cloud around Jaleeisa, and the whole thing unravelled itself in a matter of moments into a chilly puddle on the floor or the room, leaving Jal revealed, a thin film of moisture still clinging to her body.

Without turning around to view his handwork, he opened the door just enough to fit his body through and slipped out, an insouciant grin still on his face.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

A warm smile appeared for Art when he stepped in. That turning mischievous as he mentioned still being able to speak. A wink to Brig at his comment about Monday’s being lovlier than anticipated. Gray eyes taking full advantage to roam at will over the exposed chest and stomach so deliciously on display. That lazy purely feminine smile accompanied by a soft hum of appreciation, which quickly became a sharp gasp as the cloud unravelled, leaving her on display like some sea nymph. That gasp spurring a desperate flickering of fingertips, which snagged Brig’s shirt from over his shoulder as he opened the door. The shirt drifting to her like a billowing sail to slide over arms raised in anticipation of covering. The shirt, comfortable over Brig’s shoulders, draped her much smaller frame in an approximation of a shift.

Thus re-clad, thin strips of cloth scattered around her feet like so much discarded confetti, gray eyes flickered with planned retribution to come later as Brig closed the door behind him. A smile touching the curve of lips as her attention moved back to Art. “ A schooner, you said? Then I shouldn’t have much trouble finding it.” A grin appeared as she studied hi, taking in his apparent anticipation at the outing. “ It’ll be good to have a deck beneath my feet again and taste the salt. But a name would help, Art, especially if there is more than one schooner moored.” Chuckling softly as she reached for supple leather breeches. Sliding them on beneath the covering of the shift, struggling a moment with the ties while juggling wadded shirttail as well. “As much as I’d like to just sail off for a few days, and I know you invited as much, I’ll have to ask that we only be out for a day. I have to be on the Island for my shift and Brig and I had joked about a scheme for the Island that I want to talk with him further about. Not to mention I have a few errands to run and fittings for my new uniform.” Chattering on for a few moments until she had the laces tied securely, letting the shirt fall to cover her almost to knees again. Bare feet brushing aside the tangle of cloth at her feet as she turned to plop into the chair next to her. “So, what should I bring for the trip? You mentioned an Island and several different birds?” Gray eyes resting on him as she motioned to the other chair, the other hand reaching for the bottle of Elven wine she’d purchased when she’d bought the bottle she’d sent to him. A pair of goblets sat on the table along with a platter of fresh baked bread from the bakery just down from the Inn, a quarter of a particular cheese with a delicate smoothness that she’d found pleasing and thin strips of smoked ham. Having planned to spend the afternoon in her room with the books she’d purchased, she was well stocked for company. Nudging the platter towards Art in invitation, she poured wine for both, then looked back to him as she settled back in her chair with a sip of wine. Sparkling gray eyes rested on him as she awaited more details of the planned sail.
BrigathC
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Luftbeutel

Post by BrigathC »

As he felt the shirt slip from his shoulder, a chuckle slipped from his lips. He knew without looking what she was doing and his grin broadened as he moved off down the hall. Yes, she would fit in perfectly.

Return to “Venture”