World Cup

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

World Cup

Post by Vinny »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Now is that wonderful time that rolls around every four years. When more sick days and vacation time are used worldwide than in any other month. When even the casual soccer fan becomes a raving lunatic ready to storm the field when his team wins or if the ref makes a bad call. The tournament that can put a civil war on hold because the national team qualified. It's the World Cup!

So out of those of us who will be paying even a little attention, who are you rooting for? Personally, I'll be cheering on Germany for a multitude of reasons, and for the sake of my coworkers, would also like to see the Netherlands escape the Group of Death and at least make it to the next round.
Who would have thought that becoming God would prove to be such a hollow victory? -Thanos of Titan
Elijah
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Solaris Manor or Dancing Dragon Cantina, RhyDin city

Post by Elijah »

::filled out his World Cup bracket Tuesday night::
RabMallet
Adventurer
Adventurer
harmless

Post by RabMallet »

Poland.
Croatia.
and for no particular reason,
Brazil.

no cable, so lets hear it for Univision ...
(Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool)
Elijah
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Elijah »

I just got home from a pub called the "British Bulldog" after watching the opening game of host nation Germany vs Costa Rica. I have friends who bought land and live in Costa Rica now who are back in town so we were rooting for the Ticos! According to my friends the locals in Costa Rica were opening just not to get shutout.

Ugh, I left the bar at noon after already drinking a few Guinness. Toasting a soccer game at 10am...sheesh.
Grayson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Grayson »

Well, my two teams, the US (of course) and Sweden put up terrible performances to start things off.

The US, despide that embarassing showing against the Czech Republic, I think still have a good shot of advancing through the group stages. If we play as good as we're capable, we can beat Italy and Ghana. It all depends on our attitude going into our next game.

Sweden should've put at least 3 past T&T. My bhoy, Henrik Larsson (King of east Glasgow, one of the greatest Celts EVER), should've had 2 goals with Ibrohimavic adding another one or two. Even Marcus Allback had a great chance to find the net. T&T's keeper, Hislop, literally had the game of his life. Even so, Sweden should advance as well.

USA defeats Italy 2-1. USA defeats Ghana 2-0.

C'mon the Yanks!
C'mon the Swedes!
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

I have a feeling Italy will smoke the US, but that the US will beat Ghana.
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
Elijah
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Elijah »

The USA is NOT going to make it to the second round. They do horrible on European soil in World Cup games. The USA team played like an MLS team versus Chevas.
Grayson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Grayson »

Which Chevas? For the record, 95% of club football outside of Europe sucks balls. The other 5% comes from Russia, South America and Australia. Not Mexico.

I sticking by my guns. This "the US can't play on European soil" crap is just that. Crap. Four years ago we took the world by surprise with a less experienced and less talented team. We beat Portugal, Poland and Mexico and we should've beaten Germany. If Arena can get our boys to get their heads out of their asses and actually play some football, we'll beat Italy.
Elijah
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Elijah »

Grayson,

I'd bet a $100 US right now, the USA team isn't going to make to the second round.
Grayson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Grayson »

::notices his guns are no longer stuck to him::

Hey now, I said they were talented enough to get out of the group stages, not that I was willing to bet $100 on it. :-p
Farek
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Career Criminal

Post by Farek »

Grayson,

I'd bet a $100 US right now, the USA team isn't going to make to the second round.
Gee, way to go out on a limb, E. :>
J Oakenshield
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Currently residing in Oakenshield Manor on the outskirts of Rhydin

Post by J Oakenshield »

Make sure you take E's bet as soon as we beat Italy, before he has time to log onto the boards and retract his offer :)
Grayson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Grayson »

Mastroeni's red card = the most BS red card I've ever seen.
Grayson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Grayson »

Well, it wasn't quite the 2-1 win I predicted, but it was almost as good. The 1-1 draw, combined with Ghana's shocker over the Czechs puts us in a pretty decent position to go through. If we beat Ghana and Italy beats the Czech Republic, then it's gravy, we're through to the knock out stages.

The US played a great game today and really should've beaten Italy. I almost rolled my ankle jumping out of my chair when Beasley found net, then almost put my pint glass through the TV when it was disallowed (one of the only good calls the ref made during the match, and even that one was due to the linesman). Italy's red card was right on. It was a horrendous and deliberate elbow to the face that even Italy's coach condemned. Showing Pope red was a bit harsh, but no one could really complain, as it was a clear bookable offense. Mastroeni's straight red, however, was ridiculous.

People complaining about refs is one of the past times of sports in general. But this guy was honestly the WORST referee I've ever seen. It begs to be mentioned that this particular referee was not allowed to officiate during the 2002 World Cup because FIFA suspended him due to numerous complaints from other respected referees of this guys incredible inconsistancies.

When it's all said and done, though, the US played an incredible match today and were unlucky not to take all three points. With some luck, the US'll advance to the next round.
Elijah
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Elijah »

It was a good game, yes. All the games will be good. But for the USA, yes, it was a whacked game played well but unfortunate result. I want them to do well of course, and it's not like I actually have that bet with anyone. But I still don't think they will make it to the second round.

Return to “Thoughts at Large”