Delivery

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Kayla
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Delivery

Post by Kayla »

The white wolf trotted up to the mithril gates of I'Taurn, a sliver necklace and piece of parchment grasped in her teeth. She paused to inspect the gate, then the guards. Finally she stepped right up the center of the gate and sat, fixing the right hand guard with a gaze that made it clear she expected the gates to be opened for her, and promptly.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

I was back in RhyDin. I stood looking at the great Albite house, afraid to step beyond the doors. Afraid of what I would find. And more afraid of what I would not find.

I had wandered RhyDin for a time before coming here to face this task. But I had only been hiding from myself. It was past time to find out whether Morrin and I had at last succeeded in sending everything Annaran into Hell for all eternity.

A half bark, half growl from the end of the driveway stayed my hand upon the massive front door. A white wolf had seated itself there as though expecting entry. I nodded to the guards at the gate, and the wolf rose and trotted along the serpentine paved drive.

She paused at my side, and in her jaws was a letter, which she proceeded to drop into my hands. I have never seen this wolf before, and yet she knew me, for the missive was clearly addressed to me.

It was from someone I had not seen in many years, but his communication was one of crucial import and I read the missive twice before looking once more at the messenger.

"Well Kayla lass, yer friend doth ken verra well Ah'll aid 'is cause. Tae be ascertes, Ah'll 'elp 'im 'pon both o' 'is r'quests. Prithee lass, dae coome 'nside 'n we shall d'cide 'ow best tae obtain th' last o' 'is r'quests. Ah've two in mind fer ye, 'n ye mayst d'liver th' oother thin' 'e doth speak o'."

With that, there was no help but to open the doors and return once more to my home in RhyDin.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I opened the door, and invited the wolf inside. The entry shone white, and undisturbed. The great oak doors to the formal Great Hall were closed, and I was not ready to go in there. For it was upon the hearth that I'd last found Daemonbane, and the accursed books.

I invited Kayla to follow me up to my private suites. The rooms are more livable and it was not likely that any artifacts would seek me in those rooms.

We walked up the stairs, and I opened the doors to the sitting room, leading my guest inside to sit in front of the rhodochrosite fireplace that was cool and dark.

I had agreed to both of Brigath's requests, and it was there that Kayla presented me with a silver chain and key.

I would keep the key safe. Away from those who might seek to take it. I' Taurn would protect what it held.

Then I laid out the two choices I had for Kayla. Both deserved the fate that one of them would receive, it was merely a question of which one Kayla preferred.

I would procure the taller one for her. It was something I would enjoy doing.

The wolf gave me a solemn nod of understanding and agreement.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I returned several hours later with my quarry. He was docile under an enchantment, and sat quietly; staring with unseeing eyes at the fireplace that now crackled with a small fire. He would do nicely.

Retreating to my own rooms, I found it pleasant to stand on the balcony overlooking the grounds to the rear of the House. Silence emanated from the stone structure, but the land was alive with a riotous mixture of plants, animals, and minerals. It was so diametrically opposed to Matlal right now.

Pain stabbed at my heart. Matlal had once been this lush and alive. I had brought pain and destruction to the land. It would take a long time to heal Matlal, and I did not know how badly the other islands suffered.

I glanced down at my hand. Crimson was pooling in my palm. I bled, even as the land still bleeds. I hope Kayla returns for my prize soon, for I must face the Great Hall, and then return to Matlal.
Kayla
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Kayla »

She spotted the Sidhe woman across the courtyard, and let out a growl at the guards who had not yet opened the gate for her. The elf’s sharp ears heard noise and she turned to spy the wolf. Kayla gave a self-satisfied snort at the guards as Alais motioned for them to open the gates.

Kayla inspected the woman as she trotted towards her. Brigath trusted her, but Brigath’s judgment was flawed at best as far as Kayla was concerned. Still, Alais had the aura of one who would not flinch at the tasks requested of her. This time, it seemed, Brigath had made a good choice. She came to her decision quickly and dropped the note into Alias’ hand without hesitation.

With a patience learned from years of association with Brig, Kayla sat quietly while Alais read and re-read the letter. She didn’t understand why it seemed to take humans, or elves for that matter, so long to understand things. Finally, Alais laid the letter aside and invited her in.
Kayla
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Kayla »

Kayla followed Alais through the house, still clutching the Key of Air on its chain in her mouth. When the woman eventually found a room that was to her liking, she opened the doors and they entered a dark room with a draft coming down the chimney. Kayla dropped the Key at Alais feet and waited for her to take it. The draft tickled her nose and she sneezed just as Alais was grasping the chain. The woman did not even flinch, which Kayla noted with approval.

Alais described to prospects for Kayla, who was further impressed that she was even given options. Not that it mattered all that much, but the elf was doing them a favor and so she gave the appearance of considering both of them gravely before making her choice.

With the business at hand concluded, there was no reason for her to remain and wait for Alais to acquire her prey. She quickly exited the mansion and loped towards the inn.
Kayla
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Kayla »

Kayla returned the next morning, and padded through the gates which this time opened at her approach. Alais must have been expecting her for the door to the mansion had been left ajar. Kayla detected a new scent in the house and was pleased that Alais had been so efficient. She trotted up the stairs to the room with a draft, and found it much more comfortably warm this time.

Kayla let out a bark and waited for Alais to attend her.

She did not wait long. There were things Alais needed to do, and she was pleased to see Kayla's return. She led the wolf back to the private room where the man sat under the enchantment. "'ere ist th' one Ah dae b'lieve wilst best fit yer needs lass."

Kayla laid her ears back against her head in displeasure. She didn't blame the woman. She was sure Brigath had encouraged Alais to be merciful in his letter. He liked to delude himself that that was actually possible. No matter. The elf would understand. She turned and trotted out the door, making her way through the house as if it was her own to the entrance to the manor grounds. Here, she sat and waited patiently for Alais and the prey to arrive.

The sorceress followed, bringing the enchanted male with her. The wolf was obviously not happy about his being unaware, and she found the wolf waiting at the rear grounds just outside of the house. So it was to be, with a look at Kayla, Alais released the man from the enchantment, leaving him to face the wolf.
Kayla
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Kayla »

Awareness slowly made its way into the man’s eyes as he emerged from the enchantment. Confused and disoriented he turned his head from side to side, trying to get his bearings. When his eyes fell on Alais he shrunk back, fear written on his face. His voice came out in barely a whisper as he uttered her name, “Alais…”

The smile on the sorceress’ face was cold and hard. “Ye dae well tae fear me, but t’day yer fate is no’ in mah ‘ands.” Her eyes flicked to the wolf, drawing the man’s attention downward. “And Ah suspect tha’ ye’ll wish t’was me tender mercies ye were facin’ afore th’ day is doone.”

Kayla’s lips were drawn back to reveal her teeth and a low growl rumbled in her throat. As the man’s eyes met hers, the spell that had begun in a grove on the Twilight Isle descended upon him. All of his senses narrowed until the wolf was all he could perceive. Her growl reverberated in his ears, an inescapable throbbing that pressed in on him. Her eyes bore into his. Not the eyes of an animal who killed because she needed to, but the eyes of a sentient creature who delighted in the hunt and the devastation of her prey. Her breath rose up and nearly overwhelmed him, filled with the sickly sweet scent of blood and meat from her kill that morning. With a scream, he turned and fled, running blindly onto the grounds.

Kayla raced after him, nipping at his legs, driving him forward. Every time he stumbled and fell, she was on top of him, claws raking his back, jaws closing with a snap right next to his ears. Then she would be past him and he would flail his way back to his feet, weeping with terror, staggering forward in whatever direction he happened to be facing. Again and again she drove him to the ground, winding his panic tighter and tighter until at last he fell and could not rise. His body shuddered, wracked with sobs of incoherent fear. His hands clawed uselessly at the ground, instinctively trying to grasp something, anything, that might provide a way of escape. This time Kayla lept upon him and stayed. She slashed at his side with her claws, forcing him to turn onto his back. He desperately tried to push her away as her jaws descended towards his face. His shrieks turned to gurgles as the the wolf’s snout entered his mouth and they came to an abrupt end as she bit down on his lower jaw and her teeth pierced his tongue and chin.
BrigathC
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Luftbeutel

Post by BrigathC »

… Chanting in the woods … tongue welling with blood as a knife drops to the ground … the wrenching as his spirit is tied to another … double vision from the eyes of wolf and man… the exhilaration of the battle … searing cold of the lich’s touch … blackness…

Kayla slowly backed away from the still form, her tongue welling with blood where she had bit through it. Her blood had mingled freely with the blood flowing in the man’s mouth and as she watched, the body suddenly sat up and gave a wracking heave, coughing up blood that had flowed into it’s lungs.

Kayla sat back on her haunches, putting on the appearance of extreme patience. Brigath finally stopped retching and started breathing shallow rapid breaths, leaning on one hand, wincing at the pain in his back, side and face. His searching eyes found the wolf, and he managed a bloody, half grin. “Guess you were right, Kayla. It was necessary after all.” He started to try to stand and cringed, giving up the effort.

“Damn…”

He closed his eyes and focused on slowing his breathing, taking longer deeper breaths in spite of the pain. Periodically he paused to spit out the blood that still flowed from his tongue. As he gained a measure of control over his body, he looked to Kayla again.

“Are we in I’Taurn then? Good. I knew Alais would come through. I’ll have to think of a proper way to thank her.” A gurgley chuckle emerged from his lips. “But I think perhaps we will wait to do that until I am a little more presentable.”

Kayla sat silently, letting him ramble, but giving him a look that reminded him she was only patient to a point.

“Ok, ok. Let me just fix the appearance and we can make our way out of here.” By this time he had managed to get himself sitting up unsupported, and ran his hands briefly and gingerly over his face. After they had passed, the features had been transformed so that he looked just as he had in his old body. “That’ll do for now. I’ll fix the rest after I’ve had a chance to recover a bit. Let me see if I can at least muster up the strength to get moving.”

At the indication that he was ready to depart, Kayla moved over next to him and let him brace himself on her while he painfully levered himself to his feet. Then the two of them walked slowly over the grounds to find an exit.

Return to “Quiet Return”