Challenge for Overlord

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Challenge for Overlord

Post by Hope »

:: posted to the Arena corkboard by means of a dagger, the stationary had otherworldly precise penmanship, far better than she'd ever written in the past ::

Matt,

I sincerely hope this does not come as a surprise. I haven't been able to think about much more for the past few weeks now. At first, I was dumbfounded. But then I remembered who did it and I have no question as to why. There was a real chance Gren was going to walk away with your title so you never even gave him it. Your cowardice disgusts me. You soil your title. I pray I can be the one to rid it of you. I wanted to strip a ring away from Mallory for helping you but Evan beat me to it. Rachael would have been a close second for even remaining Loyal, but I'm running out of time and with Madness on the horizon, I'm pressed to get my shot now. Sorry for whoever was hoping to be next, but live with it. I wonder if you'll test me like you did Gren. I wonder if any of the Renegades will step in for me. I don't care either way. I'm coming.

- Hope
Evan Rush Rynth
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Challenge for Overlord

Post by Evan Rush Rynth »

Evan's views the post and nods to himself before vanishing, muttering something about bringing back the challenge queue ....
Evan Rush Rynth
House Rising
“It's like a good old fashion beating, ... within, inches of your life”
PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PC »

- Title holder acceptance must be publicly posted within 1 week of this validation.
- The challenge must be fought within 2 weeks of the title holders acceptance.
- This tool will assist in helping verify the required dates.
Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Shortly after responding to Hope's note to her own challenge, and after exchanging a few texts, Mallory posted this to the Overlord challenge:

Hope,

I'm sorry that you missed your chance to challenge me before Evan, but I guess three weeks wasn't enough time to figure out how to use pen, paper, and a thumb tack. Better luck next time!

Best,
Mallory
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Another whiner in the line? Welcome to the post-Gren party, Hope. You seem to forget that Gren could have beat Mallory and then beat me. He didn't. Some might say the test did its job. Others might (and do) see it differently.

Admirable you and several others are all rushing to Gren's defense but declaring me a coward for allowing a Baron to exercise her rights (albeit at my request) is pretty far over the line. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I have no problem declaring you flat out wrong. For the record, Mallory did nothing inappropriate.

--Matt
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

As far as whiners go, I'm driving the bus. I'm the conductor on this train. I forget a lot of things Matt this isn't going to be one of them. All but two of the sport's Barons see it differently so I'm willing to throw my lot in with theirs'. There's a stark contrast between "letting a Baron exercise their rights" and calling on one to defend your title for you. Declare me whatever you want, I'll see you on Wednesday night. I hope that the Renegade Barons will make their presence known. Please, show up for this, even if you don't find me worthy of helping, I can't imagine you're all renegade without a cause.

((Time and caller tbd, this will be happening Wednesday the 27th))
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Busses and trains? Going a bit heavy on the traveling metaphors, I see.

Maybe take a break from all that drivIng and conducting to do some simple math. I suggest you start with adding. Here, I’ll help get you started:

One Loyal Baron + One Loyal Baron + One Loyal Baron = 3 Loyal Barons, not two.

And yes, I asked Mallory to step in. So what? It’s called, among other things, using resources wisely.

Forget or remember what you will, I don’t see what your bad memory has to do with anything. The Renegade barons are all skilled duelists; you could do a lot worse than, as you say, throwing your lot in with them. If you meant to intimidate or scare me with that line of reasoning, you fell short of the mark, just like the last time we fought in the ring for this title.

Enjoy sitting on that high horse while you can. It might be a long fall down - especially if you do beat me.

Oh, and in case anyone wasn’t sure: yes, I accept this challenge.

—Matt
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

You're right, it's been quite a while since the last time hasn't it? A little bump in the road or two in between, what with you forgetting how to count days and all, I guess we could call it a draw. I'm glad to see this time will be unlike the hypothetical second. I don't aim to intimidate or scare I'm just waiting to take a stab at you and this beats the alternative, which is sitting around and waiting in silence. Who fights for you Matt? If I lose it's just the same old but at least I did what was right for my friends. We still remember Aurast and Gren was just the most recent. How will you be remembered? I guess you don't really care. The only person you're truly Loyal to is yourself.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

You've taken an extremely circuitous route to draw a line from my testing Gren to calling me a coward to claiming I'm loyal to nobody but me.

I'm confident you'll find a great many people who'd dispute that last accusation.

You do what you feel is right for you friend, Gren. I've no problem with that. Your approach, though, leaves much to be desired.

--Matt
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

There's a sincere lack of banter in this sport lately. Don't get me wrong Mr. Simon, I'm cocky but I'm not blind. The hardest part of this unfortunate scenario is you're a great duelist. I'm looking forward to the rematch.

((The challenge will start at 11:30 PM Est))
Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

Two notes were tacked up.

Lack of banter? Good gods, Hope, please don't cause my mother to go all nostalgic on us and write volumes on who was who and who did what back in the day! You'd be reading for months!

Rhi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for Matt's loyalties, there are many in my opinion. The most important being to his wife, Koy, and their family. I must admit to disappointment that Gren was tested. Not because I think Matt's a coward, far from it. I think all of us would have enjoyed watching that match. The bets would have been many and The Line could have raked in a bundle!

However, it is the Overlord's right to call upon a Champion of any rank that's not a Renegade Baron to test a challenger. His right not his privilege. However, it's also the right of a Renegade Baron to step between the Challenger and the Champion. Those are some of the few rules that haven't changed since my godmother, the Lady Helix Deverrey Girvin, watched over the proceedings here. If, as Matt's former Squire, I was asked to champion him, I would. It would not be out of malice toward Hope or any other challenger. It would, however, be out of respect for and loyalty toward the Baron I once served and the friend he has become.

Rhiannon Túr Gairdín
"The definition of hero never included anything about age." RDB
PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PC »

Soon after Candle came Hope Naharis. This time the challenger didn't seem to be roused by the idea of a bounty and instead came due to a dislike for Matt's testing of teammate Gren Blockman in January. Heated smacktalk flowed on the boards and it was no surprise when Matt elected to have Rhiannon Brock test for him against Hope. Two Renegade Barons, Claire Gallows and Eden Parker, stepped up to counter and it was Eden who was chosen to face off against Rhiannon. In 7 rounds, the last of them being Baroness Eden stepping aside Rhiannon's slash, Hope was given her chance to go on to fight against Matt. The single bout started in Hope's favor after she quickly stepped aside Matt's defensive parry -- and even seemed the favorite to possibly win, but in the 6th round Matt tied the match two for two and didn't look back. 4 rounds followed and the challenge came to an end as Matt ducked beneath Hope's high swing to secure another defense.

- History excerpt

(( Goldglo def. Queen, 5 - 2 in 10 rounds. - dos

"The challenger fights beneath a banner of black, white, and gold. Her second is Dvaien and her people of honor are her teammates: Gren, Eden, Jewell, Kheldar, and Kate."

"There haven't been any changes to the Overlords. Overlord Matt fights under a banner of yellow and black. While he has no second his people of honor are his family -- his wife Koyliak and children Thia and Malachite." (Runt and Rhiannon Brock were later added as seconds.) ))

Return to “The Arena”