Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Rules Question: Baron Alignments

Post by Mairead Harker »

Since we have a bit of an unusual situation this week, I would like to get some insight on something.

Lilith is still able to step in on behalf of Loyal Barons until the next standings are published and Hope is officially the Overlord. With the exception of Olaf, who declared himself Renegade to counter the Test of Worthiness, are all other Barons considered to be in whatever position they were, Loyal/Renegade toward Lilith as Overlord until her time is over?

Gloria has challenged Tali for Seaside, Tali is a Loyal Baron to Lilith. Michelle and Olaf declared themselves as Renegade to Lilith prior to her defeat. So, my question is, for purposes of the Seaside challenge, are Michelle and Olaf the only Barons able to step in should Lilith use her option to test Gloria? Declaring an alignment to the Overlord in waiting shouldn't automatically negate the ones to the outgoing one.

Just as a clarification, I aware that while MC declared Renegade, he wouldn't be eligible to use the Right of Challenge as his rank doesn't go into effect until the Standings are up and, I believe, he declared Renegade status to Hope.

Any thoughts?
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Conner Reid
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: Rules Question: Baron Alignments

Post by Conner Reid »

I think your framing of the question is pretty much overall correct. Declared alignments are specific to each Overlord. They do not apply to the title generally. During this interim period, each baron maintains their current stated alignment to the outgoing Overlord under the current rules. Their declared alignment to the next Overlord will become effective with the posting of the standings on Sunday at 6pm ET.

As of now, only Olaf and Michelle are aligned renegade to the outgoing Overlord. But all alignment rules are still in effect with respect to the outgoing Overlord until the new standings are posted.

I hope that makes it clear! Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Thanks for the quick response, Conner. I have another related question and am asking here as I might not be the only one wondering.

According to the rules, a Renegade Baron may challenge the Overlord at any time as long as it meets the the Universal Terms of Challenge. Renegade Barons are also subject to challenge queues. I can't find this in the rules and can't think of a precedent for this, which doesn't mean there isn't one. If a Renegade Baron presses challenge to the Overlord, is it permissible for an eligible Warlord or grant recipient to press challenge/begin a challenge queue to that Renegade Baron in the same time frame? There are rules on how challenge queues run, but nothing seems to address whether or not the Renegade can press challenge and be challenged in the same time frame.

Thoughts?
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Conner Reid
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Conner Reid »

If a Renegade Baron presses challenge to the Overlord, is it permissible for an eligible Warlord or grant recipient to press challenge/begin a challenge queue to that Renegade Baron in the same time frame?

Simple answer: yes.

However, we would expect/encourage the OL challenge to be completed first. If the renegade baron succeeds and there is a title swap, the challenge to the renegade baron/challenge queue becomes void and challenge rights are returned.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”