Over the past several weeks I have been hard at work re-tooling the DoS rules on behalf of the DoS staff. Over the years the rules have become unwieldy and difficult to follow as things have been corrected and added. We wanted to rewrite the rules so that they were more user friendly, easier to understand, and easier to search.
I’m proud to say that the update is now ready to launch!
The new DoS Official Rules have been posted, but it may take a day or two to make sure that nothing was missed (such as all the cross-links) and that it’s all ship-shape!
Here are some important things to know about the new rules:
- The vast majority of the rules are exactly the same. They are just reorganized and rephrased for clarity.
- A very small number of rules have been changed to improve consistency and efficiency across the sport. We feel these changes are helpful for players to better anticipate timelines with respect to certain grace periods and challenges, with minimal negative impact on the overall flow of the game. The new timelines are more consistent and thus more intuitive.
- The new rules also formalize the revised squire rules.
- All of the changes can be seen and are explained in the change log, here.
- The new rules will come into effect at the start of our next cycle, July 5, at 6ET.
Work on these updates was a true group effort. I would like to thank Kalamere, Jake, Conner Reid, Cajsa Storm, and Gloria Blaze for their patient and thorough work reviewing these new rules, discussing ideas and changes, and catching all the little errors that pop up from time to time. This is a process that takes time, and I’m grateful for their generosity. Additionally, thanks to the whole Rhydin.org staff who always provide invaluable feedback and discussion.
Over the next cycle, we’ll be reviewing and refreshing our DoS FAQ posts --- both to make sure they are consistent with our current rules but also to make them more helpful! If you have ideas for FAQs that you think would be useful to add, please feel free to DM or PM them to me!
The old DoS rules will be archived and saved in the DoS OOC, just in case they are needed in the future for reference. We hope you enjoy our new-and-improved DoS rules!