For Nostalgia's Sake! - Lessons with Toby

Revisiting a place that was once called home, be careful not to bite off more than you can chew.

Moderators: Reiko Souma, Arla Carna

Reiko Souma
Adventurer
Adventurer

For Nostalgia's Sake! - Lessons with Toby

Post by Reiko Souma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:09 am

They come in different varieties and come with a purpose. Venturing down a particular path isn't something that always needs be supported by an audience of any variety, and the destructive path that had started its pavement was of no exception. Sometimes, enough is enough when the first square comes down.

One instance to note is that of a woman returning to Rhy'din after a six-year war on her native planet of Terra; however, this streak may have very well started before then. Following an incident at the Red Dragon Inn a few months ago and a second one nearly a month afterwards, it was recommended that Reiko start speaking with Toby for the reason of her previously seeking his advice on a personal matter.

Toby the friendly bartender now found himself doubling as Reiko's therapist (of sorts) with ideas for therapy and lessons that may or may not leave Reiko less than thrilled with the husband and father of four at times?

*To date, any logs for some of the lessons that aren't recorded in Reiko's journal might have become lost due to an unintentional lack of note-keeping, of which the fault belongs to nobody.
Reiko Souma
Adventurer
Adventurer

To Scare, or to Teach?

Post by Reiko Souma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 am

*This is the earliest record of Reiko's lessons with Toby. Kept in a journal that is currently locked away in a location known only to the Terran native, its existence isn't as known as the journal that the woman keeps on her desk or on her bed. Particularly private thoughts are shared with Toby that Reiko would rather not leave their sessions, so anybody who should come across this for any reason is asked not to include this in their storyline of any sorts.

Tracking...locating...there she is!

A bird has flown inside of the Inn, taking advantage of the front door being left open by one of the patrons as they entered with it. Their presence to each other was unknown, as was the purpose for the former's entrance. Although it's actually mechanical and contains far more than what meets the eye, it looks real enough by sight. What gives it away almost immediately are the sounds of the soft metallic flaps of its wings and the electronic-sounding chirps. This bird has come for Reiko, and it wasn't going anywhere until it had what it was sent here to retrieve.

Really, why did this woman have to be so stubborn? It's as if she hadn't heard it chirping right at her, at least not for too long! These particular chirps, all of which came from the same bird who followed her outside to the back alley behind the Inn, had distinct similarities to the notes that Toby's played on the piano in the past. He's a friendly bartender and easy-going guy who jokes around and plays the piano; at least, that's how he came across to the woman that crept over to the back of Levi's pickup truck. After awhile, the bird has decided that it's had enough of her antics. Flying over, it started to peck at her head with its beak just as Andu came running out. That was the end of Reiko's attempt to ambush and possibly murder Levi Clark.

A slightly ill-faced Reiko meandered from the Inn then, having followed that damn annoying bird with a bottle of wine in her hand. She had snatched it from the counter, what with it being unopened (and now unpaid for), and helped herself to the first sip just before approaching the vehicle cautiously. She suddenly found out the effects that medicine had when she felt this really strong urge to vomit that wine back up...ew! She sat in the back seat of the vehicle once she had opened the door.

"Stupid to ask now...but what's with you and that annoying bird?" Reiko hadn't been able to make out the face right away in the darkness, and certainly not the back of the head.

"It's a prototype security drone I built for where I live. It's designed to patrol, identify, and reconnoiter." As if on cue, Toby would then follow that up with, "And record, did I mention that part?"

She shook her head no. "Honestly, I'm having a bit of trouble right now. Ugh..." Leaning forward, she held her head with both hands by the sides. "I take a sip of wine, and suddenly I feel like I've got another hangover. Bloody Hell." What exactly had happened to that wine, anyways? Reiko had dropped it outside of the vehicle that she now found herself regretting that one sip of wine in, only minus the upchucking.

Her regret didn't take much away from her ability to pay attention. At least, not from the listening aspect of it. "Yeah. You've had a busy night," was said so casually, "I've been waiting while you were hell-raising. I thought about lecturing you, but, y'know. Not my style. Besides, I always find that object lessons stick better than words. Don't you?" Toby said these things conversationally, as he then took the shuttle practically vertical at what could best be described as blistering sped. Coincidentally, the backseat of the shuttle was scotch-guarded - he did have kids, after all.

"Much appreciated." Thankfully, the woman had bottles of fresh water and blueberry-pomegranate juice in her backpack. Looking up would be a horrible idea right now, particularly if she didn't want to see another gross effect of the medicine and wine...some medicine! More like a pill from Hell! "Like the one I'm apparently learning now? Sure?" She shut her eyes.

Toby nodded. "It's somewhere between 'don't look for trouble' and 'don't keep your ride waiting.'" Great. "Along with 'keep to high altitude when flying over the primitive side of town, they get spooked by spacecraft.'" He leveled out somewhere around three thousand feet and headed roughly northwest.

What about avenging the cause of a suicide attempt? she wanted to ask. Instead, Reiko kept her mouth shut. Dare she look up? In a minute, perhaps. The worst of the effect seemed to start to pass, so the woman opened her eyes and peered up some. Then her head raised just enough for her to look to her right. Where were all of the buildings at? Was this even Rhy'din the city anymore? Below, if Reiko chanced to look out the shuttle craft's windows, the city gave way to farms and various villages, and then to no civilization at all - just lots and lots of trees. "I'd say we're not in Kansas anymore, but it looks like we're going back to Kansas...where are we going, Toby?" Reiko asked, looking away from the window. She rubbed her temples.

"North." But, that maddeningly vague response was followed up a few moments later. "The Glen isn't really safe anymore, not with all the nut-jobs and firebugs running around. So, I'm relocating the lessons for the moment to someplace more protected."

"Yeah...so I've heard." The arsonists and maniacs were getting out of hand, in her opinion. Reiko may not have every card in her deck, but she at least admitted to it and tried to find those missing cards. How was that working out for her? Well...considering her earlier attempt to ambush and slowly end Levi's life with as much pain as possible, one could answer with, 'full of bumps.' She was off on her thought train, not immediately realising that the trip was much longer than the one from Star's End Spaceport to the RTS headquarters. Considering the speed at which the shuttle flew, they had to be ungodly far north, probably a day or more by ground vehicle.

Return to “Home Between Homes”