Get your fight on! ( Martial Arts Discussion )

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Get your fight on! ( Martial Arts Discussion )

Post by Spell »

Youtube links were posted and talks of derailing into MMA talk came next. Are you interested in martial arts? Do you have a favorite fighting style? Want to debate how you think yours is the best and all the others suck? Or, you know, just talking about it is fine too! Anything works!

I'll start the thread off with this because it's hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4MfMZ8arBM

I've never really followed MMA. I used to frequent this site called Bullsh*do before it became a dump for trojens and other nasty little buggers ( I don't recommend going there, it lights up my anti-virus like crazy ). Watching young Taekwon Do fighters beat so-called "Masters" of Aikido and stuff like that.

Anyone have any good examples of MMA? Harris showed me a trash-talking master in IMs a month back.

I think this is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2hrItaNy8
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

I had literally just copy pasted that stuff from the other thread to start this one too heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPCq_jq8Is

Anyway that was the vid that started this whole thing. Ryron and Rener are the truth and do a great job of breaking down the grappling aspect of most major MMA fights on youtube on that same channel. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in learning about the grappling side of MMA.
J Oakenshield
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Currently residing in Oakenshield Manor on the outskirts of Rhydin

Post by J Oakenshield »

My two favorite sites for watching old MMA fights are:

www.mma-core.com

and

www.mmalinker.com

Of course, they're in the nature of professional MMA fights and not the joke fights like the one you first posted with the korean girl.
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

Yeah mma-core is pretty good.

UFC is pretty aggressive in protecting it's property so usually those fights don't last online all that long on the bigger sites (aka youtube).
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

My favorite site about martial arts: http://www.brazilianjiujitsugear.com/forums/index.php

It's not the biggest site, but it's a good community and they keep most of the garbage that comes with talking about fighting out for the most part.

Ooo and this one is great for grappling vids and tournament info. http://www.lapelchoke.com
J Oakenshield
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by J Oakenshield »

For news, I use:

www.sherdog.com

and

www.bloodyelbow.com

Stay off the Sherdog forums, though, unless you need comic relief.

Also, www.thefirstrow.eu is great for live events. Lots of initial pop ups but you can close them after 30s or so.
Velhelmi Torvald
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Velhelmi Torvald »

Kheldar wrote:I had literally just copy pasted that stuff from the other thread to start this one too heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPCq_jq8Is

Anyway that was the vid that started this whole thing. Ryron and Rener are the truth and do a great job of breaking down the grappling aspect of most major MMA fights on youtube on that same channel. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in learning about the grappling side of MMA.
GRappling is my favorite part of MMA. In the beginning, it was the fight between Don Frye and Yoshihiro Takayama that got me into it. Having that WTF moment where I was like "What the hell am I watching and why is it so awesome?" After a while, when I started to understand the ground game, I came to appreciate it a lot more.

What was great was in the early UFC when it was all the different fighting styles put together in some sort of crazy Darwinian experiment (no rules, no rounds, no time limit, no gloves), and watching how the grapplers destroyed everyone gave me a deep appreciation for how effective a technique it is against those who rely solely on brute strength and striking.
J Oakenshield wrote:For news, I use:

www.sherdog.com

and

www.bloodyelbow.com

Stay off the Sherdog forums, though, unless you need comic relief.

Also, www.thefirstrow.eu is great for live events. Lots of initial pop ups but you can close them after 30s or so.
::laughs:: Sherdog forums. Back in the day, MMA fighters would go there and talk with the fans. But then the armchair warriors started mouthing off, telling them what they did wrong and other such nonsense and drove out the real guys. Pathetic really.
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

Velhelmi Torvald wrote:
GRappling is my favorite part of MMA. In the beginning, it was the fight between Don Frye and Yoshihiro Takayama that got me into it. Having that WTF moment where I was like "What the hell am I watching and why is it so awesome?" After a while, when I started to understand the ground game, I came to appreciate it a lot more.

What was great was in the early UFC when it was all the different fighting styles put together in some sort of crazy Darwinian experiment (no rules, no rounds, no time limit, no gloves), and watching how the grapplers destroyed everyone gave me a deep appreciation for how effective a technique it is against those who rely solely on brute strength and striking.
"The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." - Rigan Machado

Watching the sport over the years you can see the general understanding of the grappling growing. It used to be pretty common to hear crowds get restless and start to boo as two guys worked on the ground. It almost never happens anymore and the officials are much less likely to stand fighers up.

I've seen most of the early UFC fights at this point, though I didn't really start following the sport until the TUF Griffen/Bonner boom. Basically once it made it to cable. Those old fights are enjoyable, but I think the current sport is generally a better product. Now you pretty much can't make it to that level without at least some knowledge of a ground game, and it's way cooler to watch a high level figher destroy someone who also knows what they're doing than just walking over some one who is clueless.
DUEL Kheldar
Asst. Coordinator
Asst. Coordinator

Post by DUEL Kheldar »

GSP and Condit just put on a hell of a fight.
Charles Blackstone
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Charles Blackstone »

Guess i can be the odd man out here. I dont like watching MMA or UFC fighting just for the fact that its fighting for entertainment.

See i am a black belt in Tae Kwon do, where you are taught to fight defensively. So fighting for entertainment just disgusts me
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

Not trying to fight, just curious because I've never talked to a tae kwon do fighter with that opinion. Do you dislike take kwon do tournaments too, or the Olympic events? Or is it specifially mma ? All combat sports?
J Oakenshield
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by J Oakenshield »

Charles Blackstone wrote:Guess i can be the odd man out here. I dont like watching MMA or UFC fighting just for the fact that its fighting for entertainment.

See i am a black belt in Tae Kwon do, where you are taught to fight defensively. So fighting for entertainment just disgusts me
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but you seem to be using the term "for entertainment" in the same vein as, say, cock fighting or pitbull fighting.

MMA is a sport. It's no different than the NFL insofar as people are hitting each other in the name of competition. These athletes train hard, fight intensely, but more often than not show incredible respect and admiration for each other after a fight. Occasionally, they cross the line in the pre-fight hype sessions or it really is a personal dispute. But, the vast majority of MMA contests are in the nature of a competition between respectful athletes.

John McCain famously referred to the original UFC as "human cock fighting", but it has evolved in a huge way since those early unsanctioned days.
J Oakenshield
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by J Oakenshield »

DUEL Kheldar wrote:GSP and Condit just put on a hell of a fight.
Yeah, Condit came close to finishing GSP, but the head kick was more of a hail mary IMO. GSP is a grinder, like Jon Fitch and others who don't often finish their opponents, but simply overwhelm them in a "safe" way. I have incredible respect for GSP's wrestling skill and jab, but I don't enjoy watching that style.

I much prefer someone like Jon Jones, whose ground and pound is intent on finishing his opponent. Jones also consistently tries to improve his ground position and go for the submission if it's there.

I hope they give GSP Hendricks next. If he lands a hail mary, the fight will be over. I'd also like to see if GSP can take him down and keep him there (he did against Kos, but Hendricks is a different animal IMO).
DUEL Kheldar
Asst. Coordinator
Asst. Coordinator

Post by DUEL Kheldar »

J Oakenshield wrote:
DUEL Kheldar wrote:GSP and Condit just put on a hell of a fight.
Yeah, Condit came close to finishing GSP, but the head kick was more of a hail mary IMO. GSP is a grinder, like Jon Fitch and others who don't often finish their opponents, but simply overwhelm them in a "safe" way. I have incredible respect for GSP's wrestling skill and jab, but I don't enjoy watching that style.

I much prefer someone like Jon Jones, whose ground and pound is intent on finishing his opponent. Jones also consistently tries to improve his ground position and go for the submission if it's there.

I hope they give GSP Hendricks next. If he lands a hail mary, the fight will be over. I'd also like to see if GSP can take him down and keep him there (he did against Kos, but Hendricks is a different animal IMO).
Yeah Since GSP learned to wrestle his matches have been less exciting I agree. I think it probably will be Hendricks, he made a fairly convincing case last night of being the #1 contender. There was some talk of a superfight with Silva being next, but GSP got pretty banged up in this one even in a fairly controlled win I think they'd want to keep him in his weight class for at least one more. Plus Silva was there in the crowd. It seems like if they wanted to make that matchup they would have done so Saturday, in Montreal in front of GSP's home crowd.
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

A friend posted this up on facebook today. I hadn't ever seen it before, but it's pretty cool and worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VDKqcfp7UyA

Return to “Thoughts at Large”