Strange disease cases in Dockside

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Strange disease cases in Dockside

Post by Rhaine »

Dockside District.

An old barquentine finally touched the moor, rubbing with wooden sides against the long-awaited shore. The letters on her side read "Catrione". Few noises escaped the ship - the crew now has dwindled to four or five members. An orange-colored cat walked out, slipping behind boxes and barrels. For a while the cat stopped to vomit the blooded contents of his stomach. A thin trail of blood marred his nose. A few fleas hopped onto a rat that came up to check out if the predator was finally dead.

In a few days children of Johanssons, a family of old carpenter and a seamstress, brought home a flea-ridden kitten from the docks. The being looked sick, covered with large papules, coughing.
"Mom, may we try to help the kitty?" the youngest daughter asked.

A week passed. The kids were down with serious fever, vomiting and a rash, one of the boys seemed to be coughing his lungs out, and later they've complained about "sore tummy". A single cut or a shot caused a severe bleeding, blood seemed to have trouble clotting. The last coins spent on a doctor's visit were wasted - treatment given for typhiod fever was miserable, and it had no results.

Only the youngest daughter had survived. The rest of kids died, and no one bothered to perform an autopsy. By that time, most of their friends were experiencing the same symptoms. The local herbalist seemed to be sure of one thing - the disease didn't respond to regular treatment. Why had the child survived - there was no answer. As well as no answer to the death of her family.
~There's an after to every now...
an answer to every how...~
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

================================================== =============
ooc: what the disease looks like
================================================== =============

Basic description:

The disease starts with a fever, pain in all muscles and joints, and continues with a rash, blood clotting problems, later on - jaundice, pancreatitis, weight loss, delirium and neuropsychiatric symptoms, haemorrhaging, hypovolemic shock and multi-organ dysfunction (similar to Marbug fever).
Besides, it causes extreme sharpening of regular senses, which is a side effect of magical side of the disease. For pathology, see basic description of Ebola and Marburg. The disease is transmitted via classic route - bodily fluids, plus cats, dogs (fleas), and simply bloodsuckers (including vampires).

On the magical level, it causes an overload of magical fields within a body. In most non-magic users (those who aren't using innate gift) this results in either neuropsychiatric symptoms, or chaotic displays of magical ability. A latent magic gift would be either awakened, or (in case of really small gift) burned out, thus burning out a good part of nerve system. A magic user affected would have acute symptoms of hemorrhagic fever, plus sensory overload (which results in high fatality rates among naturally magically gifted races). A completely ungifted victim is unlikely to exist, as according to some theories all of the living beings are gifted with a certain aptitude for magic (at least existence of magical field within them), but in majority of living beings the gift remains dormant. The overload is relieved by using magical gift - either morph (of shifters) or casting (for regular casters).

The disease would answer non-magical treatment with virus using magic-based matrix, and magical treatment - with using only non-magical replication of viral RNA which increases in length.

List of effects by race:

Humans:
Classic hemorrhagic fever, with Ebola-like symptoms, plus magical effect. Incubation from 2 to 4 days. Fatality rate - 80%.
Elves, Fae:
Fatality rate over 90%, it seriously damages magical abilities, and seems generally more acute, with bleeding from body orifices.
Gnomes, Dwarves:
Less fatality rate, less acute symptoms
Elementals:
Fatality rate not over 30%, symptoms resemble flu, with seldom happening internal bleeding if there is any blood.
Shifters/Morphlings:
Same as humans, with less fatality rate, frequent morphs reduce the effects, though the being is weakened by the virus significantly, so morphing is harder.
Vampires/liches/other undead:
Immune
Dragons:
Nearly immune (just some diarrhea and flu).
- Samael
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

Somewhere in the catacomb-like sewers that flow beneath the slums of Badside, the rats were thriving; there were fresh corpses to eat. The early onset of the plague had ravaged the still-breathing Acolyte population of the Church of Myr'Khul, many of them poor, human magic-users. As the rats flooded the black-robed corpses and nibbled at their discoloured flesh, Mischaelna and Vanion watched from the nearby shadows.

The vampiress, naught more than a young girl in appearance, spoke first. She looked up to her father and mused, half-heartedly, "Brother Ignatius is studying the disease in Ivan. Ivan is chained to Warehouse Thirty-Seven's back wall, but seems to have survived. Should I work with him to find a cure, Father?"

"No", the shadowy elf replied in a strikingly beautiful voice, without looking away from the rats' feast of flesh. "Learn as much as you can without endangering yourself, but make no move to find a cure. There is more power in knowledge than there is in kindness, daughter ... and the devout of Myr'Khul need live no more than do you or I."

Without another word, the small vampiress dissolved into mist and was lost in the polluted steam which rose from the bile of the sewer-river. Vanion Knightwood made good on his word; he quietly incanted a dark prayer, and the rats promptly scattered from the corpses of the plagued Acolytes. One rat, fatter and more dim-witted than the rest, was too slow to get away; the zombified servant of Myr'Khul's hand jerked up suddenly and snatched it. A moment later, dull teeth tore the rat in half, hungrily.

And above, somewhere in the night, was the lost cry of a young boy - mourning the loss of his mother to an unknown disease.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

"I take my words back, partner. Your design appears to be beautiful, and the accumulators work perfectly. Enough to see the reason the Lord has kept you in existence, despite using diseases being more like Morrigu modus operandi."
"I'm surprised by the quiet. Looks like this city is ignoring the fact of disease."
"It's not that surprising, Rhaine. Mortals tend to fear such thoughts and calm themselves with the idea that the plague won't get to them. Foolish, but who are we to deny them the right of reckless choice."
"But it will get them, sooner or later. Those who survive, will end up being both immune and activated. I'm just upset there is no publicity, and no chance for a good chess-game."

Arms crossed on her chest, she paced back and forth around her quarters in the Temple. Smooth black velvet-like fabric of her dress flowed with the move, bare shoulders and arms radiantly pale against that blackness. Bare feet submerging in the soft lining of the floor, letting no sound betray the nervous pace.

"Refreshing to see you back to the shape you were in Clandestine," the devil spoke approvingly, "Looks like you have finally recovered."
"I have even more work done already than you think, Sael."

And there was a dark promise in these words, in her vivid voice. But next she beamed a grin full of mischief.

"Shall I send a note to old ... neighbors?"
"Not in your handwriting, I hope?"
- Samael
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

[Response to The Rhy'Din Post Article]

It had been several years since the spiritual leader of Myr'Khul had been the willing focus of a television camera; to an unliving immortal, though, several years was less than one heartbeat and just as insignificant.

-*-*-*-*-

The Baron of Dockside steps up to the pulpit and pulls back the hood of his black robe, making visible his distinctly elven features. He places both of his hands on the surface of the podium and clears his throat. The vocalized sound is purely symbolic - he appears neither nervous, nor does he even have the need to swallow. The crowd roars, some in elated cheers, and others with a hateful jeering. The press conference is set near the border of the Badside and the Old Temple District, which in recent weeks has been hit by a string of crime and religious violence.

Vanion speaks clearly, and his words are soft and easy on the ears. He has no microphone, but his voice carries on the wind to even the furthest of the crowd with just as much ease as though he did.

"There are many of you who are frightened. You hear of this strange disease - or perhaps have had loved ones afflicted by it. You demand answers, and how righteously you do! Today, Health Minister Marie Ann Moore has stated that they are doing everything in their power to protect the people of Rhy'Din. Who are these mysterious benefactors, I wonder? Do you not wish to know? These are the same body of officials who seek to ensure the passage of Proposition Thirty-Seven!"

The Baron's proclamation causes a chorus of jeers and heckles to rise from the spectating crowd, and thus, he pauses a moment before he continues to give his speech.

"These are the same people who desire to round up magic-users and license them, tag them, take their individual rights! The same who desire to force the people of Dockside, and all of Rhy'Din, to register the very weapons that they depend on for protection - in a city that is corrupted with violence, churning in conflict, and sorrowed by tragedy after tragedy. Do you truly believe that these people, these shadow politicians, that your own Governor, that even the other Barons of the Arena Council are doing what they can to protect you? I think not!"

The Baron raises a clenched fist before him as he attempts to fire up the crowd's passion, and those gathered continue to grow louder with their angry protests.

"The Clergy of Myr'Khul has been working to expose the nature and specific threats of this disease, and what we have learned thus far may surprise you. This disease does not act as one brought here through happen-stance from a far away land, but instead attacks with the traits of a true genetic weapon. Indeed, our earliest studies have indicated to us that the most afflicted of the plague, those whose lives are most endangered, are humans and other races with innate magical ability. How ironic, then, that the very people who wish to round up and license magic-users, are those who claim to be protecting the magic-users suffering from this deadly attack; ask yourselves, do you trust them? Do you trust the enigmatic Matt, your Governor, who has yet to show any concern over this matter? Or is it possible, is it probable, that the very same people who seek to increase their unspoken stranglehold on your freedoms have concocted a plague to attack magic-users and the poor, when their Proposition Thirty-Seven proved to gain them little momentum with their hidden agenda?"

Someone from the crowd shouts over the buzz of the angry and the poor, "They've done this to us!"

The Baron holds out his hand in the general direction of the woman before he speaks once again, his words delivered keenly to different sections of the crowd.

"Ask yourselves the hard questions. The Clergy of Myr'Khul anticipates that the disease will continue to spread north and eastward, and unless it is stopped, will move soon from Dockside to the Old Temple District. Will hundreds, will thousands die before those who sit on their money and power act? Or will you stand up today and support me in my quest to end this disease, to protect Dockside from the rich who would exploit ... and to ensure that never, that never, will those who seek to oppress our freedoms pass Proposition Thirty-Seven, or any other motion. Will you stand up and be willing to fight if they come knocking at your door? Will you put aside religious differences and pre-conceived bias to battle the current establishment's attempt to turn Rhy'Din into a police state?"

With atypical passion seeping into the usually softly-spoken elf's voice, the Baron shows strength in the finality of his speech, as it draws to its conclusion.

"Today, I announce that I intend fully to run for Governor of the City when the elections come once again. Though I do not believe that government can exist without corruption, I am tired of being restrained from being able to offer freedom to those who seek it. I will fight the shadow-politicians, the mega-corperations, the two-faced Governor, and to the people of Dockside - I hope to take what should be the most enterprising and successful District of the City, and give it back to the people! Support me, and let me support you. The Church of Myr'Khul will continue to study and fight this disease, even when the self-proclaimed noble leaders of the city ignore the poor who are suffering, even in the face of their Christmas season itself. I will continue the fight for not only my own freedom, but yours as well. In the meantime, be wary of contact with others and keep yourselves private as much as possible. Wisdom can slow the current of the plague's spread, until we are able to best it. May you be ... blessed."

And with those final words, the Baron steps away from the podium to the sounds of reporters' questions, the crowd's cheering and booing, and the loud noise of an incoming barge's horn somewhere to the southwest - near the southernmost Docks.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Later in the afternoon, on the same day he initially spoke about the Benson Boulevard Initative, Governor Simon addressed the press again. This time, his speech, followed by a question-and-answer session, dealt with recent statements and accusations levied by Vanion Shadowcast.

Citizens of Rhydin,

I wish to put to a quick end the fear-mongering and falsehoods being spread by Vanion Shadowcast, current Baron of Dockside. The Baron made a recent address to a large group of citizens and spoke many half-truths and ill assumptions.

I wish to set the record straight.

Mr. Shadowcast, unfortunately, seeks to raise a dead issue – that of Proposition Thirty-Seven. That measure, not supported by myself or my administration, was soundly defeated in a recent vote. Still, Mr. Shadowcast speaks as if the measure is still active and as if a vote is mere minutes away. He speaks as if I am doing everything in my power to support the proposal and its backers. I made my feelings on Proposition Thirty-Seven clear numerous times prior to the vote. While there are those who do support it and will likely attempt to revive the measure on future ballots, I cannot and will not endorse or support it if and when it does make a return. Mr. Shadowcast, perhaps, has forgotten the violence, the negativity, and the unnecessary bloodshed wrought during the recent campaign by supporters and detractors of Proposition Thirty-Seven. Do not let his effort to revive such feelings and actions meet with success. I do not, nor does this administration, “seek to oppress freedoms” of magic users nor anyone else. Mr. Shadowcast asserts an effort, perhaps on my behalf for he did not mention a specific group or person, to turn Rhydin into a police state – nothing could be further from the truth. I have confidence that you can see such baseless accusations for what they are, as lies designed to arouse panic and alarm where none need be.

Mr. Shadowcast speaks of the recent disease that has struck the Dockside district. He claims that I, and others, have not acted and do not care about those affected by this disease; worse, he accuses me of ignoring it outright. Those claims are unfounded and false. Mr. Shadowcast asserts that he wishes to eradicate the disease and, in this, I applaud and fully support him for that goal is one that I, and many others both in and out of my administration, share. He would have you believe that the disease, or at least the lack of a cure or vaccine, is a conspiracy against the populace of Dockside, against magic users. He claims that those with money care nothing for the citizens of Dockside. I must ask, what would such a conspiracy gain? What benefits are there in allowing people to suffer, to die? While some might seek personal gain from such horrible events, I am certainly not one of them. I will also point out that efforts like the Benson Boulevard Initiative, an idea created and launched by several of the city’s wealthy citizens, directly contrasts with Mr. Shadowcast’s contentions. About the disease and the search for a cure and vaccine - I am no doctor. I leave the research and hunt for a cure in the hands of experts in that field and have tasked those experts with quickly creating or discovering a cure or vaccine. I welcome any assistance in that endeavor, including Mr. Shadowcast’s. Our research, thus far, does not support Mr. Shadowcast’s claims of a bioengineered weapon. Although the possibility cannot be dismissed or eliminated at this early stage, it would be reckless to assume any answer is the correct one. Mr. Shadowcast, by his own admission, relies on early research results in making such claims. I also question his allegation that the disease doesn’t act as one arriving from a distant land. I would ask to see the basis for such a statement – what research has Mr. Shadowcast or the Clergy of Mry’Khul done on foreign diseases? If research has been done, upon what evidence does it rely? Mr. Shadowcast, much like those who did support Proposition Thirty-Seven, make proclamations unfounded in fact – they accuse without showing any basis, authentication, or corroboration. Do not allow words designed solely to illicit fear and antipathy grow roots and fester; dismiss them for what they are unless, and until, they come with solid measures of proof.

Mr. Shadowcast claims that Rhydin is a city “corrupted with violence, churning in conflict, and sorrowed by tragedy after tragedy”. Looking at things from one perspective, yes, perhaps he’s right. We, like most other cities, have violence take place within our walls. Some, be they merchants, city guardsman, or business owners, are corrupt and sacrifice the well-being of others for personal gain. Can we seek to limit those things? Of course. Do we seek to limit those things? Most definitely. But violence and corruption are not what define us as Mr. Shadowcast may have you believe. Looking at our city, and the events that transpire here as a whole, casts Rhydin and its populace in an entirely different light – a light that Mr. Shadowcast would rather not discuss. Yes, terrible things, such as the recent storm, Sanyumato have happened to this city and to you, its residents, both in the far and recent past. But many positive things have happened as well, sometimes as a result of those tragedies. How we choose to respond to these events is what defines us. How we respond affects our morale, how we perceive one another, and how other municipals, trade partners, and visitors, view us. We could, if we so choose, elect to become victims of these events, to pity ourselves, to wallow in misery and shake our fists at the heavens. Or, we can do what we almost always do; we can refuse to let these events defeat us. The Marketplace bombings, the Proposition Thirty-Seven violence, Sanyumato - all horrible events I wish had not taken place because of the suffering they caused, but events that proved, over and over again in our response to them, our mettle, our inherent goodness, and our ability to rise above and conquer circumstances that would otherwise have us defeated, crushed, and miserable.

We can, as programs like the Benson Boulevard Initiative and the Sanyumato Relief Fun show, opt to find the proverbial silver lining, to turn negative into positive. Mr. Shadowcast would have you forget that, he would have you believe that we are pacified victims, doomed to our lot in life, to suffer the whims of the events that take place around us and to us. No, I say. No! We are more than what he would have you believe! We have proven him wrong time and time again. To persevere is sometimes difficult and requires a great deal of effort; it’s much easier to focus on the negative, to play the victim’s role. To do those things leads us nowhere. To overcome, to remain confident, constructive and helpful – that is our legacy. That should be our focus. Mr. Shadowcast would rather we remain fearful and distrusting; he plants seeds of doubt, pessimism, and gloom. He speaks of my lack of concern for this city and for you, its people. Mr. Shadowcast is mistaken. He calls me enigmatic and two-faced. He has not come through my doors, as many of you have, and spoken with me face to face. He makes his accusations from afar, again with no true foundation.

He speaks of an intention to run for Governor; because of our system of government, he is entirely free to do so which would not be the case were Rhydin becoming a police state or if my administration were attempting to horde power. Mr. Shadowcast maintains that he desires to “offer freedom to those who seek it”. He offers what you already have as if you do not already have it, perhaps hoping you will forget or even deny your freedom in the confusing information he attempts to pass as fact. We must question his both his motives and his tactics.

Mr. Shadowcast speaks of wanting Dockside to become the most enterprising and successful of all the districts. We are all one city and we succeed, fail, suffer, and rejoice together, as one. The districts each have their own uniqueness, they are each special, but they are not in direct competition with each other nor do they individually vie for governmental favor. Rhydin is Rhydin; I choose not to view us as separate districts, but as one city, one populace. Mr. Shadowcast would divide you, have you believe that one district plots against another, that those from one district purposely oppress those from another. Mr. Shadowcast wants to “give Dockside back to the people”. Who, I ask, has taken it from them? Corporations? No. Politicians? No. Me? No.

And after making all these claims, after throwing out wild accusations, Mr. Shadowcast then asks you to isolate yourselves. To, as he said, “keep yourselves private as much as possible”. Perhaps he says such things because of the disease, in the hopes that isolation will limit the spread. Such caution may be warranted, although it has yet to be fully determined exactly how the disease spreads, whether by air or physical contact. If, as Mr. Shadowcast claims, the disease is genetically engineered, then isolation will likely do little good. No, it is my belief that Mr. Shadowcast, in the guise of pretending to worry over people’s best interests and using the disease as an excuse, would rather people isolate themselves to worry and fret over his unsubstantiated charges; alone with your thoughts, you might find yourself falling into his trap, believing his words. The wisdom Mr. Shadowcast speaks of comes in looking past his claims and into the truth. If we stand together and unified, if we discuss and debate the merits of Mr. Shadowcast’s claims, his words have much less chance to corrupt and twist reality. His assertations and allegations will have less effect and are unlikely to spread the dread and trepidation for which they are designed. I urge you all to think for yourselves, not to simply listen to him, or me, or anyone, and accept our words as gospel, as infallible. Neither myself, nor Mr. Shadowcast, have all the answers; we cannot solve all of your individual problems, or all the city’s, by ourselves. We would be fools to try. But instead of attempting to engage you, to make you part of the solution, Mr. Shadowcast would rather make you afraid, angry, and despondent. Do not let him succeed.

Thank you, I am happy to take your questions.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Gem-like indifferent eyes stared into the crystalline dome over the room at the top of one of three spires. "Repeat that, Sael. I love to hear the sound."

"First cases reported in Old Temple. Over two hundred deaths in Dockside already, and more coming up. Vanion appears to have tried to use the disease for his political goals, and recommends to stay isolated as much as possible."

"Smart elf. That might help, if they also keep rats, cats, vampires and strangers out. And use filtered and boiled water, which is hardly common here."

"Governor Simon has spoken against isolation, and against believing Vanion in general. As if he believes that it would do nearly no good, and that Vanion is merely playing his own games of making others believe his words."
"WHAT THE ... ?"
Rhaine seemed to be genuinely surprised and amused. "You mean that a dhoine from a technologically advanced world is ignoring the damn basics for mere political reasons?!" she nearly laughed. "No measures taken, no financing doctors, no hospitalization?! No quarantine?! Just because the first SANE suggestion comes from Vanion?! That's such a sweet example of dhoine ignoring the voice of common reason when listening to their lust for power... Sael, I'm tempted to contact the local doctors. Just to see Simon's reaction"

"Isn't it too early for that, partner? They need to get a good taste of your design."
"Well, I have to show the simians that unlike them, we do engage in serious research. And while it takes them weeks and months to do something..." she chuckled, cutting off the end of her remark.
"Who do you plan to contact?"
"Might be that doctor from Riverview, what was her name... Doctor Valconan, if I remember. Though judging by her frequent visits to Arena, she may hardly have time for serious medical practice. Might also talk to Chryrie, she seems to have enough brains to understand when spoken to".
"Approved."
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Deciding to spend a few hours exercising was definitely a good idea. Having left Aquira and Keith in the small lab we have equipped in the transformed warehouse, I went to duel.

Doc Valconan was already there, however something prevented me from contacting her. Scanning my thoughts I found which one led to this conclusion: comparing how much time she spends at the Arenas with the total hours and human need for sleep. She might not be interested in doing anything useful. Perhaps she's still called a doctor, but she wastes more time at the Arena than most local duelists, more even than Farek used to. She's stuck in this silly sport, in the web of local men, and other pesky distractions.. So... do I have a choice?
Last edited by Rhaine on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Vampiress watched Aquira placing cell cultures into the scanner. All of them were in the same bioprotection suits - though Rhaine knew well enough that the disease could do nothing to to her. In the end, she has already done to herself anything it could do, and much worse.

The tests have proved that the virus fit into specifications ideally. She has observed the changes in RNA sequence depending on the magical impulse series, and in the magical matrix depending on the chemical reagents added into the culture. How sweet... Didn's she love it when a design behaved properly. Aquira and Rhaine took turns connecting to the sequence scanner, to map all variants of RNA sequence alterations.

"Why are you doing that?" Keith asked. "We can simply remove this outpost"
"Yes, imGair, why? Don't tell me you actually care about what happens to locals"
"I actually care to see how you two deal with the stress and the filovirus. And how the locals react to the threat. And a few other things. I'm not intending to see this city wiped out."
"And that data you're forcing us to record... Do you really think locals," Aquira spat the word, "would have any skill to use them?"
"Just in case, create recommendations in terms understandable for simians. Aquira, you are the best Mentari biologist on the Four Moons. I know that. We've been hiding for much too long, we need real stress testing for our skills. Not what our excessively safe system offers."

Finally the datapad was done with. Keith checked for compatibility with human computer systems. Poor locals who'd have to go over all this... Rhaine connected to neural interface and went over the data. Right. Full maps of viral genome including those for magic and chemical induced alterations, matrix for magical energy impulse treatments the virus was sensitive to, research on genetic ancestry of the virus... She went over recommendations supplied, added a few corrections. Would that be enough? For a Mentari it would be much more than necessary. A sneaky
grin slithered onto her lips, which made Aquira shudder in her black bioprotection outfit.
Last edited by Rhaine on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

She didn't even bother to change from her bioprotection suit. Good that Mentari were always keeping aesthetics in mind, and it looked quite good on her. One-piece matte blackness, with a silver line encircling her neck and shoulders, that was so much different from the clumsy stuff local epidemiologists had to wear. Arriving at the Annex, she found Governor already there and in the center of attention. Recognizing most of these duelist folks was a matter of using structured memory. Finally, she found a place to watch Governor and his wife for a while. How do dhoine get so careless... She has seen Matt in the Dockside a few times, but the district wasn't even closed to outsiders! There were no teams in bioprotectors, district wasn't isolated. And those who did venture into Dockside still came to the Arena, careless about lives of others.

"Evening. Please excuse me for bringing up an unpleasant subject. Do you happen to know a research team with primary focus on current filovirus outbreak?" she finally decided to speak to Koy. In the end, if men were careless, women should have some brains to use and memory to keep the information?
Last edited by Rhaine on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Alain was already in the Inn when she arrived. Matte blackness of bioprotector was normal in this world, she didn't have to explain the purpose of the suit. Stretching to climb on a bar stool, she grabbed herself a mug of lager as Alain actually greeted her.
"How are you, Rhaine?"
"Definitely enjoying RhyDin in its worst. We got the outpost set up fully, despite the additional issues demanding attention of my team," she preferred at-length reply.
"Nothing too bad?" he seemed to be nearly not concerned.
"Ah, definitely nothing too bad for business. I had to order my team to perform an urgent research of filovirus outbreak in Dockside. Currently the results have already been given to Governor, and I'm having fun waiting for reaction. And for the imports - it's all ready and set, and first containers for your poor marketing specialists are already in, I'm feeling nearly sorry for them."

"Filovirus?" Alain frowned.
"Ah. Well, you can check the news. They're fun nuff. A fine hemorrhagic fever in Dockside, very interesting virus mutation," she spoke with a certain share of fascination. "It's most fun to study. Both the virus and locals' reaction to the outbreak."
"Mm. Any races it's targeting over the others?"

"Oh. You want more info? Just say it before I talk you to death. I do keep my nose in the tests I force my team to do," she grinned. Matt was supposed to make sure the information gets to each and every interested party. He promised that he'd go over the info, have it evaluated and used. If he didn't waste time on that... that was his problem.
"Anything that could kill my workers, I'd like to know about," it looked like Rhaine had certainly ruined Alain's relaxed evening.
"Ah. The basics in this case," Rhaine did her best with mad-scientist-attitude. "It targets most organic carbon-based races, with fatality rates from 90 percent for Elves and Fae, to less than 30 percent for elementals. Undead are immune, dragons - nearly immune. By Midnight, there's no need to panic that much, it's not airborne yet! It's less deadly for humans than for elves, still about 80 percent fatality. I do not know if your workers are human though."

"Yet," he chuckled softly, almost mirthlessly. "You know what RhyDin can do... and a virus with a mortality rate that high is bound to draw in bioweapons 'prospectors.' "
"Ah," vampiress was nearly radiant. "You want it to be isolated for being used as a weapon? We can do that, certainly. It's not that hard, just have to watch what Governor chooses to do"
"Oh, I'm sure there are corporations hard at work on that already..." his eyes narrowed, just a little. That was reasonable, vampiress mused.
"With the information we've given.." she sneaked in a smile. Oh yes. With the info from the datapad she's given Matt, 'investors' into biological warfare would have no problem creating a weapon.

"What I'd prefer is a safer waterfront I can return my ships to," he finished his scotch. "The Barony's turned profitable... but her ports will never have as much potential as the West End. I'd hoped to send my ships back as soon as Prop-Three-Seven cooled off..."
Last edited by Rhaine on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

"If Governor doesn't waste time on this, and possibly tries to contact the most efficient ones, the outbreak can be dealt with," she smiled sweetly and flexed in her matte black bioprotector. "In any case, why not make your workers were pretty bioprotection suits like the one I wear? Yes, it's no use to me, I merely like the color."

"I plan to... but it'll still be bad for business. Suits protect your people, not consumer confidence, nor that of the populace. Getting rid of the problem altogether... now that's ideal."

"I'm not going to go through the headache of convincing the Council about bringing an industrial biosynthesis complex here," she grinned, showing off her fangs. Convince me.
"The Council's not in the business of protecting its interests?" his eyebrows rose just a little.
"RhyDin has that Riverview clinic where doctors spend most time dueling instead of doing actual work, for example," she grinned. "I would have to convince the Council that RhyDin actually needs our interference. Which would be hard, since there are some more or less modern hospitals here"
"And if the Council had a... more stable base of operations to work off of?"
"Oh really?" there was a theatrical quirk of silvery eyebrow.
"Say that they did," folding his hands before his chin, fixing his gaze on her. "What then?"
"Well. It takes about twenty hours to prepare and deliver the necessary equipment. Trained pro's - they are always there, though they would hate being dragged into this medieval city from the week of FalconFly's. We can be rather effective when necessary. That's twenty hours counting from Council decision. So far no one in RhyDin has done a thing to use the data we have supplied, so it's hardly the most urgent matter for the local officials"

Alain began to roll up a cigarette, and gestured to see if she would like one. Hell no. Tobacco was one thing she never understood. "How would they feel about doing most of their laboratory work in, say... Star's End. With other professionals from a company called HEAT," he was not so hypothetical, after all.
"If your pro's can keep up with us. And that's a big IF, you know.. Plus, we might consider moving a well-set complex back to Mentar Station rather troublesome. If we are convinced that it's too much trouble compared to the opportunity to work here."
"Is it worth the expense? ...Or is this problem going to go away without our help?"
"So far it looks like it isn't going to go away by itself unless the Dockside is entirely isolated. Which would hardly be done. And away without outside interference... well, based on what I see, there has to be some interference, at least bonking some sense into locals," she sighed mournfully and visibly fake.
"I take it you have information, the knowledge to get it done... but putting it into practice on your own isn't within your company's interests. Or isn't feasible," Alain said lighting his cigarette, taking a drag."...If I gave you the support you needed to put a solution into effect -- one within our authority, obviously isolating a district is outside anyone's means..."

He leaned in to whisper - something rather predictable.

Why does everyone with a tiny bit of opportunity considers this outbreak a good chance for politics-related games? Including myself...
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The number of deaths in the Dockside was now over three hundreds. And growing. First cases were reported in Old Temple, and Querylon seemed to have trouble providing potions to cope with the symptoms. Rhaine paced
nervously around her quarters on Four Moons.

"Any news?" she asked Aquira.
"None, imGair. Looks like we've drowned them in information. Will you please stop circling like a caged tiger?"
"Sorry, dear. I'm merely upset with the slowness of locals"
"Just don't ruin this vacation. I'm not really happy to skip Falconfly finals"

It was time to talk. Definitely. Especially with Alain with his corporate interests trying to press matters with potential collaboration.
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The outpost seemed too small now, as three patients were around at the same time. At least the closed lab compartment was empty, with all the termostats, sequencors, scanners, all other Mentari equipment in autonomous mode. Rhaine checked on cell cultures, on the synthesis progress, on nano-assembler line. And some people think Althos aren't orderly... we are, we just have our own kind of order. In the large room, where the beds and patients remained, a box with Mentari toys was empty, contents scattered around, the youngest patient playing out seemingly some grand space battle.
"When are you letting us outta 'ere?" the boy asked, looking at vampiress.
"Governor has promised a visit of his experts, to see how you're recovering"
"But I'm well nuff, ain't I? And mama 'n' pa?"
"You are, dear."

The woman was too shy to talk, but her husband did inquire.
"So we gonna have gov'nor 'imself 'ere, lady?"

"If he finds time, of course," Rhaine replied with a near-human smile. "He promised, at least. Without his experts' evaluation I can't continue helping people."
"So he gonna make ya stop?"
"His newspaper journalist probably would."
"Screw 'im, lass. Yunno you do good, we know you do. All 'dat matters"

Rhaine's smile was soft and sad.
- Samael

Return to “The Arena”