Changed Lives

Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Whoa, hey now... we said no trouble for now.” Tormay tried to distract the little one, but was not getting anywhere with his efforts. Sylviana's bubbling sounded urgent as if she was explaining to her brother why she needed to go to the goblins and then she resumed squiggling with renewed effort.

“Look, Sylvy, a dancing bear!” Tormay made some fairy lights dance around just in front of the girl and she tried to grab those lights that did in fact resemble a bear.

Tormay seemed to have come up with something more interesting to Sylviana than whatever it was that the goblins were playing with. A few of the goblins thought so, too. They abandoned their toy and gradually inched closer to study the dancing lights.

“Go mom!” Tormay cheered when he spotted one of her spells hitting the lizard man she was dueling, all the while wondering what to do about the circus that he had started.

Suddenly Sylviana turned to look at him and asked a few short syllables with an expression of expectation on her little face.

“Yes?” Tormay blinked, unsure of how to translate the little ones talk.

The little girl promptly repeated the same series of short syllables, just a little louder and a little slower than before, still looking at Tormay full of expectation.

Azjah quirked a brow at the babble. But the young man seemed to have understood this time around to judge by his actions. He added a few fairy lights and made them appear to be a ball for the bear to dance on and a tightrope for the dancing bear balancing on the ball.

“I honestly have no idea what you are saying, Sylvy.” Tormay glanced around, desperate for a little help.

“Baba" The little girl said clearly and shook her head. Then, with a slightly disappointed look, she repeated the short syllables.

“Baba? Yes, there is a bear... hmmm.” Tormay grinned mischievously.

The girl shook her head at Tormay and then attempted a growl. Of course a cute little girl couldn't quite growl like a bear, but she tried anyway.

“You are right, a bunch of lights doesn't cut it.” Tormay agreed with her and the lights slowly formed into a solid mass and became a small stuffed bear complete with tutu, still spinning on the ball of light.

“Whooo! Yea for mom.” Tormay cheered when he heard the announcement of the last round of Topaz’s duel. But he was concentrating on the dancing bear and his cheer sounded accordingly weak. Sylviana was still grabbing for the dancing bear, and now Tormay allowed her to succeed. “There you go, a lovely dancing bear for Sylvy.”

Topaz had left the ring and headed over to Tormay and Sylviana. “Good evening to you both.” She greeted her children with a warm smile and chuckled when she saw Sylviana held the bear possessively to her chest. “You're spoiling her. She just got a ton of toys for Yule. Poor Gabriel will have another 'monster' to fight the next time he's watching her.”

“Good evening mom.” Tormay let the tight rope and ball shimmer out of existence, seeing that Sylviana was now holding the bear. “Well, she needs more you know, it is a whole month later.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Tormay, you just want to spoil that child because you don't have to live with her.” Azjah chuckled as Topaz sat down in the seat next to her son and daughter.

“Sorry guys, shows over.” Tormay addressed the goblins who had gathered to watch before he turned to Azjah, a hand held to his chest in mock offense. “I would never.”

“Right.” Azjah gave him a skeptical look.

“Of course not.” Topaz grinned in obvious disagreement with her words. “We 'lost' the drum you got her. That thing was making way too much noise.”

“The drum? That was just the snare, I was going to get her the whole kit. You know, bass drum, cymbals, hi-hats.” Tormay painted a picture of torture that had Azjah coughing discreetly to cover a laugh.

“Oh no, please don't, at least not until she's 18 or so.” Topaz chuckled. “She can drive her mate nuts with those then.”

“I am sure she will do fine with a mini violin then.” Tormay shrugged, perfectly ready to get excited about a new idea. “I suppose classical music would go over better... Isn't that right Sylvy?”

“Lucien would enjoy that much more, I'm sure.” Topaz giggled as she pictured Lucien’s reaction. While he enjoyed classical music, it was highly unlikely that he would enjoy their daughter’s first attempts at teasing any kind of sound from such an instrument.

Sylviana merely nodded to their conversation and, using the bear and Tormay's thigh, played like the thigh was a drum and the bear a stick.

“Well, maybe not the learning part.” Tormay allowed and grinned mischievously again. “I could teach her.”

“Do you know how to play the violin?” Topaz questioned with surprise.

“Nope, that is the point.” Tormay laughed, but kept a careful hold of the little one.

“Are you ready to come to mommy so Tormay can go duel some?” Topaz held her hands out to Sylviana. But her daughter seemed too engrossed in her play to notice. She did not even interrupt her play when she did switch laps to sit on.

“There, now you're free to go 'play' too.” Topaz grinned to Tormay over Sylviana’s head.

“Thank goodness.” Tormay grinned with relief and promptly went about securing a duel.

“Good luck and thanks for watching her.” Topaz called after him. She would stay to watch Tormay’s duel before returning home. Only, the little girl was not quite content with just watching, at least not past the third round. After a while Topaz gave into Sylviana’s squiggles and set her on her feet.

At first the new freedom to play with her new bear was enough contentment for the little girl. But then she took note of Azjah’s repeated glances toward her and the dancing bear. She moved and held the bear so the lady could watch better and she made the bear dance extra pretty.

While Topaz and Lucien shielded their daughter as best as possible so she would not be bothered by every emotion felt in her proximity, the little girl was well aware of Azjah’s discomfort. So she only took a few steps into Azjah’s direction and in a wordless offer held out the new toy to her.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Yes, very pretty, don't you miss your mother?” Azjah curled up tighter on the chaise as she addressed the child.

"Mama," the girl shook her head, then nodded her head as she said "Baba", still holding out the bear.

“She's telling you that it's a bear not me, I think.” Topaz answered the question in Azjah’s look.

When Azjah showed no further interest Sylviana or the bear the girl returned to her mother and resumed her play. She didn’t even look up when Tormay returned after his duel to take his leave.

“Well, I'll be off too.” Tormay gave his baby sister a good night tickle. “Stay out of trouble, but not too often, OK?” To which the girl nodded and giggled.

“Babies are born to make trouble.” Azjah chuckled.

“That they are.” Tormay agreed before making his farewells.

“Have a good night, Tormay, and thank you again.” When Tormay had left Topaz turned to Azjah. “Sylviana wasn't bothering you, was she?” Topaz had been rather proud that her girl had not just run over in her excitement to show off her newest toy.

“Let's just say I'm not comfortable around children Topaz.” Azjah maintained a close eye on the where abouts of the child.

“I think Sylviana knows that already.” Topaz replied with a friendly smile.

“Children tend to be like cats.” Azjah did not really care for cats, and cats always seemed to gravitate toward her when she least wanted them to do so.

“I have to disagree.” Noting Azjah’s surprise she elaborated, “Cats have an arrogance and confidence children lack.”

“Cats find the person who likes them the least and annoy the hell out of that poor soul. Children seem to have that same sense of torment.” No one really knew the extent of Azjah's discomfort with children.

“Children do want acceptance and love, not to annoy. I have observed the want to annoy in cats, though.” Indeed, some cats seemed to make it their lives’ goal to continuously get the same person angry at them again and again.

“Then why can't they pick on the person who wants to give them such?” Rena arrived just then and Azjah took the opportunity to gather up her documents and make her escape before Topaz had a chance to come up with a fitting reply.

When Sylviana became aware of Rena, she walked over to her as fast as her little legs would carry her, holding out the new teddy bear.

“That's a nice bear.” Rena reached out for the little one and placed her in her lap.

“Baba.” Sylviana gurgled happily and made the bear dance in the air.

“Nice trick.” Rena complimented with a soft laugh. The girl played for a while longer, and eventually wriggled off her lap to return to her mother. With another soft chuckle Rena watched the child wander off and get picked up by Topaz.

“It is time for us to head home. Lucien is wondering what is keeping us. Have a good night, Rena.” Sylviana waved a little hand to Rena and then mother and child disappeared from the visible spectrum.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Missing Keeper

“Good evening, Azjah.” Topaz smiled and then asked even before the blonde had a chance to sit down, “Have you heard from Russel yet?” Topaz had waited half an hour to find out if Azjah’s challenge to the Keeper of Air had been accepted, and to her way of thinking that more than excused the absence of polite chit chat.

“No, not a word.” Azjah shook her head and headed for her chaise.

“I hope he reacts soon.” The fairy sounded disappointed.

“As do I.” Azjah placed the book she was carrying at the foot of the chaise. “What is the protocol should he fail to respond?” The Marchioness did not seem to like the prospect any better than the Fairy did. The missing Keeper was just that... missed.

“First I get to remind him all nice like. If that produces no results I will have to declare him default and the key will find its way magically into your pocket.” Topaz explained.

“Let us hope he can be found in time.” Azjah nodded as she settled onto the chaise. The notion of gaining the coveted key by default sat badly with the woman.

“I'd prefer that.” It did not happen often that a Keeper just disappeared. Topaz did not yet want to consider that something bad may have happened to Russel.

“As would I.” Azjah agreed.

“Besides, I like seeing the two of you duel each other. It's not a pairing that happens very often during regular dueling hours.” Topaz glanced at the empty rings. “There should be more dueling, I think.”

“Yes, absolutely.” Azjah agreed again and then turned to greet Xeric.

Topaz, too, had turned to greet the newly arrived Xeric, but when a rain of Edelweiss showered around her she promptly forgot his existence.

“Lucien!” She jumped up off the couch and stuck the blooms she could catch into her hair. “I know you're here somewhere.”

“Good rising my dear.” Lucien faded into the visible spectrum.

“Ah, there you are.” She ran over and wrapped her arms around him in a fierce hug. “Good rising to you too, darling. I missed you.”

“As always I have missed you.” He held Topaz to him, not caring whom might be watching.

“Will you sit with me? I may get to officiate a duel eventually.” There were plenty of people on the isle that evening, only so far none had requested a ring.

“Would that please you?” Lucien asked. He knew it would, but he liked to hear her say so.

“Yes, it would make me happy.” She gave him a wide and inviting smile even as he settled onto the caller’s sofa and she made herself comfortable on his lap. Only then did she seem to take note of his brother.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Oh, how did Gabriel sneak onto the isle?” She gave her brother in law a belated wave of greeting.

“I did not 'sneak'.” Gabriel had faded into the visible spectrum some time earlier as he always did when he wanted people to know that he was present and now stood behind Azjah’s chaise with his arms crossed over his chest. Otherwise, he would remain unmoving.

“I told you he is a fussy old man.” Lucien leaned closer to Topaz to whisper to which she couldn’t help but giggle.

“Of course you do. People make noise when they walk.” She called over to Gabriel. “Liena even jumps up and down a lot and waves her arms around and she's generally very noisy about arriving.”

“Not Carpathians.” Gabriel replied with a slight lift of black brow. He would not comment on Liena, who he felt had an excessive amount of noise about her at all times.

Lucien slid his fingers through Topaz hair then, and she was promptly utterly distracted from teasing Gabriel.

“Was Ariel duly impressed with Syliviana's new dancing bear?” She asked at length.

“Ariel dotes on her.” Lucien’s comment was not nearly as cryptic to Topaz as it sounded to anyone merely listening to the spoken words. He shared images with her of Ariel’s reaction to being shown the new toy while he spoke.

“Everyone seems to. Tormay keeps giving her presents.” Tormay did appear to be wrapped around his little sister’s finger.

“We shall require a larger house at this rate.” Lucien noted.

“He told me about the full drum set he can't wait for her to be old enough for.” She watched Lucien with an impish sparkle to her eyes. “He also mentioned a violin.”

“I may have to throttle your son.” Lucien responded with the expected groan.

“I think I threatened him with something along those lines.” Topaz chuckled.

“I shall support you should you deem it necessary.” It was a promise on many levels.

“Thank you.” Topaz chuckled. Lucien was not usually so generous about letting her do anything along those lines. “At least he didn't suggest taking her for a ride.”

“Take her for a ride?” That had Lucien's attention, and not in a good way.

“She's definitely too young for that.” Topaz shared images of Tormay in dragon form with Lucien.

“I will skewer him personally.” Lucien’s brow winged upward.

“Let's hope there won't be a need.” She brushed a hand over his arm.

“He is a bright boy. He will not test us on this.” It was an edict, and nothing less.

“I think you're correct.” She smiled, wondering why she was suddenly this concerned. She certainly would throw all caution into the wind if a dragon invited her for a ride. She was about to ask if Lucien could shape shift into one when Azjah demanded her attention. “Yes, Azjah?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Do you recall the name of the Rhydin Museum's Curator for the Natural History wing?” She was trying to recall, but the name would not come to her.

“There's a museum besides the dueling museum?” Try as she might, she could not recall ever having heard of one besides the Dragon Gate museum, much less it’s curator’s name.

“Yes actually.” Azjah laughed. “It is in the Olde Temple district.” It was a phenomenon she was frequently running into. People had no idea that Rhydin actually had a very large museum complex.

“Odd that I should have missed it.” Topaz was usually well informed about anything worth knowing in Rhydin.

“It is safe to assume then that you have never been there.” Azjah laughed softly. Xeric, too, seemed to think Topaz’s replies very amusing to judge by his rib shaking laugh.

“Yes, a safe assumption.” Topaz confirmed as Xeric wiped tears from his eyes.

“So much for hoping Topaz remembered.” Azjah gave Xeric a weak smile.

“Thanks, I needed that.” Xeric addressed Topaz after he took a deep breath to calm himself.

“I could 'forget' more things I never knew about to begin with if you ever need me to again.” Topaz grinned back.

“You are always helpful.” Lucien observed.

“Of course.” Topaz chuckled softly. “I'd even help duelers with a ring if they wanted to duel.”

“You're making me think of things other than dueling.” Topaz whispered softly when Lucien slid his fingertips along her wing edge.

“Such as?” He whispered back ever so quietly. Instead of answering Topaz shared her ideas he had inspired via their private mental path. “How much longer must I wait?”

“I get off at ten, provided Vinny gets here on time, or Rena. They switch their shifts quite often.” As if on cue Vinny arrived the moment Topaz had finished her sentence.

“Shall we my dear?” Lucien saw no reason to delay their departure any longer.

“Yes, please. The sooner the better.” Topaz nodded, smiling, and quickly waved a ‘Hello’ to Vinny and a good bye to Azjah, before Lucien swept her up and they faded from view.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The Summoner

The promise of chocolate rather than books was what drew Topaz to the Teas’n Tomes this evening, and she walked straight to the counter upon entering the café.

”There has been quite a bit come in on Garry.” The sentence spoken by a familiar voice reached her ears as she ordered something drowned in chocolate. So Azjah was still poking around in the man’s past, she thought to herself before she tuned out the voices around her. Excellent hearing was not always a positive thing.

Moments later, plate in hand, she went up the few stairs to find a place to sit. She nodded and smiled a greeting to Rena and Azjah on her way to an empty table.

”You’re not going to sit with us?” Rena sounded disappointed as well as surprised.

”I could, you seemed busy, though. I didn't want to interrupt.” Topaz displayed uncharacteristic consideration to their privacy.

”Please, join us.” Azjah motioned to an empty chair. She had noted Topaz's uncharacteristic avoidance of them.

”Thank you.” Topaz smiled to both and slid into the offered chair, keeping the plate of chocolate decorated with a scrap of pastry in her lap.

”I plan on taking Aaron on a trip I'm going on. I don't know how Wil will take that though. Rena said with a slight smile, resuming their earlier conversation.

”Well, if Aaron is willing, why would Wil object?” Azjah inquired while Topaz started to enjoy the chocolaty mess she had ordered. The fairy seemed content to merely listen.

”Who knows what the so called Alpha male will think.” Rena laughed.

“You have to watch those alpha male types.” Azjah smiled back before she took a sip from her cup. Experience with Carpathians had taught her a lot about that kind of mentality.

”Sylviana needs one of those.” Topaz commented as Azjah and Rena both fell silent for long moments.

”One what?” Rena asked.

”A puppy, isn't that what you're talking bout?” Perhaps they had been talking about Rena’s skunk pets. Try as she might she could not recall their names at the moment.

”Nope.” Rena laughed.

“No, not exactly.” Azjah, too, broke out into soft laughter as she peered once again over the railing to the common area below. But neither of them offered an explanation.

”Oh. Sorry.” Topaz blushed a little. What was so interesting downstairs that had Azjah leaning over the railing so often? She tried to see what or who it might be as she elaborated. “Well, she gave me a scare this afternoon. A dog would have been helpful.”

”She did?” Both asked nearly simultaneously.

”She disappeared.” Topaz nodded, still feeling the anxiety of this afternoon.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Is she okay?” Rena wanted to know, at once worried.

”Of course.” Topaz would certainly not be sitting here enjoying pastry if her daughter was still disappeared or anything other than okay. “I think Lucien might have killed me if she was still disappeared. Still, those were the worst minutes ever.”

”He could have found her using their link; they have a tendency to give adults heart failure though, don't they?” Azjah had lots of experience of children being terrifying. And too, she knew something about Carpathian mind links.

”Yes, heart failure. One moment she was there, and the next she wasn't. She's too smart for her own good. And Lucien was sleeping, of course.” The link was part of how Topaz eventually solved the issue, but it was not anywhere near as easy as Azjah’s suggestion made it sound. Topaz found herself in need of more of the calming chocolate and another fork full made it into her mouth.

”Will you excuse me a moment? My tea needs a refill.” Azjah rose before either of her friends replied and headed down the stairs and toward the counter with the aire of someone determined to accomplish something important.

It was then when Topaz finally figured what took Azjah’s attention from their conversation earlier, a robed man whom the people he was with addressed as Summoner. He was definitely following Azjah’s movements with his eyes, and even pursed his lips briefly as if he was sending a little kiss Azjah’s way.

”It'll be much harder keeping track of her with her picking up tricks.” Topaz mused out loud to Rena while Azjah ordered her refill and set her now empty plate on the table.

"If it is fear you wish to strike them then I will send the Spiders..." Topaz overheard one of the women sitting with the Summoner addressing him. "Let the Spiders tease their sea-legs with disappearing horrors. There is nothing more terrifying than watching your friend be torn asunder by beasts that walk like ghosts. This will be too easy, my Summoner."

”I can imagine.” Rena nodded.

”Hmm. She not having wings seems not to be a handicap.” The chocolate and the unexpected meeting of her friends had helped and Topaz was ready to look for the positive sides to this afternoon’s disaster.

”There are always ways to get around things.” Rena gave a soft laugh.

Downstairs, Azjah turned toward the Summoner, as she tasted a fresh cup of tea.

”I want it especially graphic, so the ones that ye leave alive... And ye will leave a small handful of their fleets alive...” He again turned his gaze to Azjah, but was still talking to the people with him. “… Can tell their sea lord what supernatural horror plagues the seas. We want them jumping at shadows and mist. Strike under heavy fog just in case.”

”Just not around little ones picking up things from their parents, if you want them to or not.” Topaz wondered though if Sylviana had learned to disappear from the visible spectrum just by observation or if someone had taught her.

Azjah turned back to the counter and added a small pot of cranberry tea to her order to take back to the balcony with her. Topaz didn’t miss the slow cruel smile that formed on the Summoner’s lips as he watched Azjah ascend the stairs, nor the knowing look he exchanged with one of the women in his presence a moment later.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”But now I won't be able to trust her with any other than Carpathian baby sitters.” That certainly limited her options.

”And how many of them are around?” Rena asked before she took a sip from her mug.

”During daylight? Absolutely none.” The Summoner had turned his attention to the magical grimoire before him and Azjah returned to their table. ”Welcome back, Azjah.”

”Thank you.” She set the small silver tray with the extra tea on the table before she curled up once more.

”I didn't expect her to be this difficult until a few years from now.” Tormay had not started to experiment with magic until he was half grown.

”Always expect the unexpected.” Rena chuckled softly.

”It can't be normal for children to be developing powers this early, can it?” However did Carpathian parents deal with that? They slept most of the time their children spent awake. Sleep was something that she rarely found time for these days.

”I am uncertain about that Topaz, but I'm certain Lucien can answer that.” Azjah tried to help, again distracted by the Summoner’s actions. He opened a tome and a sparkle of intangible, effervescent light rose from the aged looking pages. Though from this distance even to Topaz’s Carpathian sight the pages appeared blank.

”If he wants to.” But Sylviana was not just Carpathian, and what little Lucien did know about Carpathian children might not apply. “It's one thing to play peek-a-boo, quite another to fade from the visible spectrum at will. Scary, I tell you.”

”Perhaps there is a way to curtail her use of her abilities?” Azjah offered while Rena leaned back to listen.

“I'm sure there is.” It would be fairly easy for Lucien to manipulate her mind. But such could have untold negative consequences and was therefore something to be avoided. That course of action was summarily dismissed by Topaz. “I'd prefer to be able to make her see reason over mind control, even though she’s a little too young for that.”

Downstairs the Summoner brushed his fingers over the pages of the tome and impossible diagrams and geometric shapes formed along side columns of glyphs, intersected at points of the two-dimensional planes. Then the runes took light, and began to scroll in an array of colors across the pages. Three-dimensional patterns started to form, turning around unseen axis. Azjah leaned over the railing again and appeared spell bound by the diagram that came alive with the flare of dweomer and mana to fuel the spell-script within.

“A dog might just be the thing, though.” Topaz wondered what Azjah found so fascinating about a summoning spell being performed.

”What makes you think a dog would help?” Azjah was still looking over the railing.

”It would be someone she'd want to be there for.” That, and when Topaz had caught up with the little girl she was with Azjah’s dogs.

“Have you ever seen that kind of spell work before?” Azjah leaned toward Rena, keeping her voice soft.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Or she could take to sleeping all day. Spell?” The Summoner seemed to have summoned nothing, but the dramatic display of magic script had ceased. The mage appeared exhausted though. Perhaps his attempt had failed and drained him, Topaz wondered as she caught his red gaze locking with Azjah’s.

For a moment or two Azjah’s gaze was held, then she blinked and gave her head a shake. “You were saying? Sleep all day?”

”From what little I do know of Carpathian babies, that doesn't happen until they're 5 or 8, though.” Topaz started to become alarmed. Where was Gabriel anyway? She did not perceive him as being close and merely not visible. “You mentioned a spell?”

“I've never seen writing that flares and flashes like the Aurora.” Azjah’s gaze again slid to the mage below and the large, heavy looking tome.

”Me neither, just squiggly and wriggling. Oh, and glowing and floating, but not like that.” Mages did not usually permit just anyone to watch when they worked complicated spells, generally considering such too intimate to share with strangers. Besides that, Topaz had not previously met a summoner that she was aware of.

The Summoner continued to regard Azjah and touched the pages of the book in seemingly random spots, causing glyphs to rise into the air, which then formed into constellations of old.

”Curious.” Topaz commented. Why would the mage bother with a display designed to entertain children to show off to Azjah? She had not forgotten his earlier rather cruel smile. “Do you think he'd be any good on the isle?”

”I don't know...” Azjah quirked a pale brow at the glowing red lights that danced above pages of the Summoner’s book.

”We've not had a Summoner there in... in forever. Where’s…” Topaz paused and phrased her question carefully, aware of the Summoner’s attention, “… your body guard tonight?”

A ripple stirred in the shadows near the Summoner as the lights of his spell died again. The mage appeared even more drained than before. A hiss from the shadow echoed afterward. Topaz concentrated her senses on the shadow but could not detect a being of substance there. Still, Topaz found herself wishing that she could use the general mental path all Carpathians shared in order to make Gabriel aware of the possible threat to Azjah.

“Outside.” Azjah replied distractedly, still peering over the rail.

“So he may still 'volunteer' for baby sitting.” Topaz gave a nod. The Summoner’s conversation earlier had been about a fleet and he and his companions were planning a devastating attack upon it, and Azjah had mentioned a war brewing and an attack upon her ship. Could the Summoner and Azjah’s recent worries be related?

”Hmm?” Azjah slowly turned back toward Topaz with a blank look.

“Never mind.” Topaz chuckled with amusement she didn’t quite feel. “You seem very fascinated with the Summoner's magic.”

”Amazing.” Azjah lifted the tea cup to her lips, her thoughts quite obviously still on the magic images.

”I should not be leaving Lucien to deal with the little imp by himself for too long.” That and she needed to hear his take on this Summoner. “Are you sure you'll be safe with Gabriel just being outside?”

“Yes, yes, I'll be just fine.” Azjah nodded vaguely and not at all convincingly.

“Then I bid you a good evening. Thank you for the company.” Topaz included Rena in her farewell, and then rose and headed out.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Encounter on the Market Square

Lucien and Topaz had just left Ariel’s shop after bringing Sylviana to her aunt and now were walking arm in arm across the market place at a leisurely pace, conversing quietly. The merchants had packed up sometime earlier, but the square was still busy with people, a condition that Lucien simply loathed.

”I hope Sylviana behaves herself or your brother and sister will eventually refuse to watch her for us.” Topaz was referring specifically to Sylviana’s new trick of fading from the visible spectrum.

“Ariel will never say no to her. No one can tell her no.” Lucien replied with complete conviction.

”She knows how to make use of that, too.” Topaz chuckled softly. Their daughter had known from the start how to use her voice, which is one of the Carpathian gifts that can be a blessing or a weapon depending on the desire of the wielder. And while the adults felt her still feeble pushes, no one felt the need to keep her from practicing. “You may have to learn how to say no to her, though.”

”Why?” Lucien quirked a brow at Topaz. There were so few Carpathian children born any more, it seemed appropriate to him to allow her every leniency imaginable.

”Because she'll insist on learning how to fight and doing all sorts of things you'd not approve of.” The girl was her daughter as much as his. While Topaz enjoyed the duels and could defend herself in most situations, Lucien was a hunter and one of the very best and most experienced at that.

Silent cues traveled up the cobbled street strides ahead of the couple. From around a blind corner one reckless individual set on a collision course. Jarvis, the pale and trusted ghoul, his hood and head dipped low to shadow pale skin.

“She should have no reason to learn how to fight.” Lucien shook his head and then looked at her as they walked. “Her mother has enough warrior blood to keep her safe.”

”She has every reason; she'll become a target sooner or later.” But she virtually glowed with Lucien’s compliment and admission. “That was the nicest thing you said since this rising.”

Lucien paused when he heard footsteps ahead but could not sense any blood or heart beat to go with them. Topaz halted half a step later, alerted by his action, and looked around. He did not sense vampyre, but something lurked unseen ahead of them.

“What is it?” Topaz shielded her senses while in town and amongst large groups of people. Otherwise the ‘noise’ of their emotions and intentions would be too much for her.

”I am uncertain. This place has enough undead I cannot be certain, but something is ahead and it is not alive.” What he didn't say was that its focus was upon them, and no one else in the square.

Using narrow alleys and busy shuffles of life Temhota was able to maintain close proximity without raising alarm. Jarvis' objective was to pick the heaviest pockets. Portraying his own to detail he made contact with the fairy, twirling off to her left while feeling the wrist and arm for expensive adornments, but found none.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"Watch where you're walking!" He shouted at her, his distraction begun.

”Hey!” The brief touch of the ghoul had her skin crawl for moments after he twirled away.

“Watch your path.” Lucien snarled at the creature and pulled Topaz closer by his side. His fangs erupting into his mouth.

“That was odd.” Topaz checked her skirt pocket to see if the caramels she usually carried with her were still there. Though what a ghoul would want with them she could not fathom.

"There are other people on the street! Watch your own!" Jarvis retorted over his shoulder, the detour set into motion.

”I will never get used to allowing such as that to continue walking the streets.” Lucien shook his head as they moved away from the ghoul. Every instinct shrieked at him to slay the monster.

”Rhydin's a place individuals of many races call home including all those you are used to thinking of as evil. Not all are evil when they're here.” She dropped her voice a little. “Something still does seem not quite right though.” But she didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

They had only taken a few steps when Lucien paused them again. A group of young males meandered out the alley a block ahead while their attention was averted; under the careful surveillance of red halos in the distance.

Ghoul and kindred exchanged roles beyond stone walls. Wearing similar attire, Temhota emerged behind Topaz and Lucien and cautiously descended upon his prey. Transitioning from playful banter to criminal activity the thugs turned their attention to the pair now in their midst.

"Check out the lovebirds." Said one, causing the others to snicker.

”I should have brought my blade.” Topaz felt the menacing intent despite her shields being up and contemplated which spell might be useful should the men do more than taunt in a moment or two.

Lucien kept walking along their path as his black eyes followed the males, but he pulled Topaz close beneath his arm. In his other hand was the cane he carried with the ruby cane head. Obviously used to organized tactics the group of five set a blocking phalanx along the path.

If Temhota’s plan was to succeed he would have to increase his pace. His plan relied solely on the fairy's memory and his disguise.

"Are you two are aware of Rhydin's curfew laws?" The ringleader spoke out while keeping his eyes on the one approaching the couple from behind.

”There are no curfew laws in this city. We are not seeking trouble tonight, let us pass.” While Lucien recognized their tactics, he remained unconcerned over the human males. He marked each one as becoming a 'meal' on the next rising. They would pay dearly for their bahavior this night, but not in front of his mate.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Topaz couldn’t quite keep a bemused grin from her lips at the mention of laws and a supposed curfew in Rhydin.

"You don't know about all the murders in the streets over the past six months? This city is dangerous when the sun goes down." This statement incited a laugh from the deeper ranks.

"I would let you pass, but you see there's a toll that everyone needs to pay for our protection." Footsteps at the flank grow louder.

”Be careful what you ask for.” The ‘toll’ he’d receive from Lucien and her would not be what he expected.

”We have no need of your 'protection'.” Lucien granted them the courtesy of a fair warning. “You do not want trouble tonight.” He used a mind push on the leader then.

"Not from you. Just some pocket change to calm the natives.” The leader of the group moved to intercept Lucien while the others acted to encircle the two, pinning them to the building.

At this time Temhota arrived amongst the ranks, blending in while watching the fairy and the Carpathian.

“We will pass unhindered.” Lucien put out his arm to keep the headstone figure from getting too close as the scent of vampyre reached him. Something set Topaz on edge, too, and magic rose within her that had nothing to do with spells. While her senses had picked up a threat far deadlier then the thugs, her mind had not puzzled out all the clues just yet.

“Vampyre.” Lucien hissed low to Topaz. It had insinuated itself into the human thugs.

Ashen flesh bared from long sleeves as Temhota’s hand settled on the ruffian's shoulder. The man first sought to slap the insubordination from his inferior. But his hand never rose past his waist.

"That man is not one to encourage. You had best listen to him." Temhota’s silky smooth words calmed the thug’s fire filled soul.

“The one that talked to Azjah and scared Soerl. He's been on the isle too, a while back.” The words, though whispered, rushed from Topaz as the puzzle pieces fell into place. While the vampyre was well disguised, she would recognize that voice anywhere.

Lucien snarled as Temhota's hand landed on the ruffian's shoulder. The need to carry out his Prince's command rose sharply before he whispered to Topaz “leave us,” trying to send her home before he sent this one to eternal rest.

”Not likely.” She replied even as she asked the magic gathering within her to become light and gather around Temhota. Lucien somehow knew she'd say that and stepped between the vampire and his thugs and Topaz.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Uhm, Lucien, you're not made of glass.” The sentient magic bits remembered Temhota, too. But as of yet only enough had gathered to seriously anger the vampyre, not enough to do lasting harm.

"Fortunately for me, neither are you." Lucien quipped amongst the confusion of bodies.

"I would advise against this." Their reaction was not to plan and Temhota sought refuge behind the meat shields.

Lucien growled low as his hand turned into a clawed appendage, capable of ripping through flesh with ease. He would rip the shriveled heart from the vampyre, and incinerate it on the streets.

The lone figure of Temhota could be seen retreating behind blockade of flesh, a sneer bared at Topaz and Lucien. Tingles of the fairy’s magic bits turned light reaching him elicited a shudder and he paused. Under direct assault now, was he?

”He's getting away!” Topaz felt Temhota’s retreat even if she could not see it with Lucien blocking her line of sight.

”We let him go tonight.” Lucien didn't dare turn into mist to follow the vampire. He swiped the clawed hand at the ruffians closest to him, raking the knife like claws into flesh as a warning.

A sound of pure frustration escaped her. Despite his earlier compliment and admission, it would be a while yet if ever before Lucien would overcome his need to protect her for long enough to permit her to be useful when faced with threats.

“Blood thirsty faeries?” Lucien quirked a brow at his mate. He felt her frustration, and it tore at him. He 'needed' to protect her. But he felt her 'need' to be 'useful' as she thought of it. It was an endless Mobius between them.

”Don't be such a stranger.” Topaz called after the retreating Temhota before she turned to Lucien. “He's been bugging everyone and is more slippery than an eel about it.”

”You know this vampyre then?” He turned to study her a moment, mildly surprised by that revelation.

"I can play your games." A pulse filled the air around them. Without reason the group of men erupted in violent convulsions. Their terrified screams broke the calm air as Temhota ducked away, not to be seen again, leaving Lucien and Topaz to deal with the aftermath. Thaumaturgy at it's finest gave him a secure escape.

”We have met a few times.” She resisted the urge to cover her ears. “Better put an end to their torment.”

Using preternatural speed, Lucien scooped Topaz up and retreated from the immediate area to avoid the onslaught of convulsions and screams. He would not shed blood in front of her if he could help it.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Temhota

The lights of the city had grown brighter beyond proportion. Temhota’s senses tensed with apprehension. His movements had to be well concealed within the inner workings of kine. The best alternative was to use alleys, of course. Few ventured astray, the tales of those that braved the dark decorated page after page of tabloids.

Finding suitable concealment, Temhota assimilated with the darkness, Silent and motionless for delectable flesh, like a tactful spider with his web woven tightly. Whoever happened across this detour would be madly misfortunate.

All lower walks of humanity, the drug dealers, johns and prostitutes tingled on strands, eliciting salivation, but nothing more. Somewhere amongst the refuse there shined a pixie stick. In his vigil a comment about the deterioration of his city would be made.

"So many unwanted, flesh turned away... Why?" Rhydin was a fickle city, leaping from one favor to another, all upon the whim of politics. "So this is what we come to face. Then a war they have."

The ideal ambush locale abandoned the kine ventured amongst the mortal. His jaws clenched with undeniable hunger. Yet, Temhota remained stoic.

The city wide pulse he felt in every fiber. From the Inn to countryside each heart had its own signature. Fighting the impulse he acknowledged Jarvis.

"Good evening, Ghoul. My confusion has led you to insight?"

"Now is a peculiar time, sire. Inner struggles amongst household names, alliances are strained and strengthened." Toxic lips stretched into a smile.

"And our city is without direction for another year. Why do you complain? We are continuously placed aside, allowing free reign."

"Not to mention the influx of hunter activity. Nor the Brothers. They know of your prowls. Lucien and Gabriel. I've heard of them." Jarvis quoted while keeping sharp of their surroundings.

"Yes, the brothers Light and Dark. One strength leads to a greater weakness. Light succumbs to darkness. By my own zealousness the Brother of Light and his Fae kind have become aware of my activity. Lucien, is his name, He knows you too. You and I will have to conduct our business with caution. Carry this message to the witch.”

A bow from the mortal and he quickly vacated Temhota's hunting grounds. Speaking of hunting grounds, the kindred plucked the strings of his web in anticipation. As much as the idea of a stalking disinterested him, there was little choice in the late hours. Late night lovebirds always provided a delectable meal.

Bloodied halos focused in on the young couple he snarled at the sickening romantics. "Which one first?"

Jarvis, maintaining his role, spoke wise words. "Disable the male. Feed from her. We'll speak again my Lord."
This advice went under diligent scrutiny.

"There are others..." The young man spoke over shoulder. "Plenty of others."

"Good answer." Temhota smiled while sliding back into concealment. Silent cues conveyed up the walk through mindless bodies.

Return to “Atrebla”