The crack of noon

Bed, breakfast and bar owned and operated by the most famous cocksure braggart of the DoS. Come in and sit a spell.

Moderators: Onyx, Karnafexx

Karnafexx
Adventurer
Adventurer

The crack of noon

Post by Karnafexx »

Billy sat at the bar, hunch over the dark mahoganny top with a look of equal parts grumpy and overtired. Mr. NG exited the kitchen, slapped a plate down in front of him. Hot bisquits and gravy, hashed browns and eggs, sunny-side up. Life looked slightly more worthwhile. It's not that Billy didn't like mornings, they came so damn early.

MR NG. gave him a bored expression. "That food will be the death of you, Birry." He accented the name just to jab the proverbial finger in his already cranky ribs.

"Yea, I guess I should worry about the damn country slam breakfast takin' me out instead of the bad guys, booze and fast women I run with." His lip raised in a halfhearted sneer that Mr. NG ignored with practiced ease.

" You have errands to run, don't you?" Billy nodded and bent to his plate, shutting out the rest of the world. Just me and my hammy, he thought with a sigh.

Life was such a drag.
Onyx
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Predator

Post by Onyx »

Cursing the dusty breeze that had begun to settle on her clothing and person like dirty flour, she traps a breath in her chest and opens the door to the Dead Nicholas. The woman pads lightly in soft soled boots sneaking up behind hunched over figure at the bar.

She had heard the rumor and didn't want to risk hoping it was true. She had to come in person to stop torturing herself. Only by not breathing was she able to contain herself. When her lungs burned she allowed herself a slow exhale, then reaching over the man's shoulder, she wiped her finger into the creamy yellow egg yolk that had reached the plates edge.

Sucking off the sheen on her finger she drawled, "Brudda, baby. Don't you know that stuff will give you a heart attack?"
Karnafexx
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Karnafexx »

He caught Mr. NG's glance moments before her familiar scent fillied his nostrils. She had that unique blend of feral sensuality with a just a touch of restrained violence that he loved so much. He kept his head in his plate as she reached over and teasingly touched his forgotten eggs.

"Brudda, baby. Don't you know that stuff will give you a heart attack?" Onyx said in the well known accent. He resisted the urge to pick her up in a hug.

"That commin' from a woman who has underwear outlawed in countless countries...when she bothers wearin' em?" He chuckled to himself and slid a large hand around her waist and pulled her close. Looking up at her with his green eyes her breathed her in again, his mouth falling into that familiar lopsided grin.

"I'd pay money to read the fortune cookie that tells my future now." Then he laughed and suddenly the day seemed a whole lot more interesting.
Ya know when they say that no
matter how good you are there's
always someone out there that's better?
That's me.
Onyx
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Predator

Post by Onyx »

"I'd pay money to read the fortune cookie that tells my future now," he said. She had waited far too long to hear that laugh again.

Her eyes soak up all the little changes a year or so have brought to the face she memorized. No doubt he has noticed the scars that webbed her upright feline ears, the wear and tear and little marks life leaves on us all.

"What ever it says, you have to add an 'in bed' to the end. Damn it's good to see you!" Onyx wrapped her arms around his neck just as he wrapped his around her waist. Her lips press a kiss to his cheek. Eventually she leans back. "I must be grinning like an idiot. Before I embarass myself any further, where have you been?!"
Karnafexx
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Karnafexx »

When she said "What ever it says, you have to add an 'in bed' to the end. Damn it's good to see you!" Billy realized just how long he'd been away but also how there are some people with whom time and distance don't change a thing.

"That's my girl." He said and made kissing noises, only now seeing her ear.

"I must be grinning like an idiot. Before I embarass myself any further, where have you been?!" She asked.

Before he could reply Mr. NG, who was lurking around blurted. "Getting FAT! LAAAZY!" The rest was lost in a burst of rapid Japanese, Mr. NG shaking his head violently as he stalked into the back room.

"WELL!" Billy said, having caught only a little of the Japanese and not liking what he heard. "Apparently my Beef-cake summer swim calander has one less sale." He actually did feel out of shape, like a prize fighter would in the lull between big matches. Still leagues above normal people but not fighting form.

He looked up at Onyx and shrugged. "He just feels neglected and impatient that I haven't been into town and bought him some herbs."
Then yelling loud enough so Mr. NG could here him on the other side of the country, "Maybe I should buy him some powdered tiger crank and put a little steel back in his pants! Or better yet, I'll get him a woman so he can actually work some of the energy off since he DAMN SURE ISN"T WASTING ENERGY COOKING THIS FOOD!!"

Billy snickered and then winked at Onyx. "He's spittin' venom for sure right now but I know he's more worried for me than upset at me. He's afraid I've "lost my way" and need focus." Pausing for a second he added. "He may be right but I know it's not a permanent thing, just a longer phase than I thought. I can feel something comming on, and that's not a joke because you're here. I really do."

"As for what I've been up too..." He continued , "I was a little lost after losing Laash and then Kappy...seems most people I get close too die, go away or...who knows, go away and die!" His hand had tightened a little on her waist as he said this. "Guess I just had ta' try and find El, that's laash ya know, for myself." He was shaking his head.

"I ran outa time...too many responsibilities, too many things here I couldn't let just GO, so I came home with nothing to show for it but a business on the brink of going boobs up and a cracked spirit." He shook his head as if comming out of a dream.

"Enough, enough...I gotta get my "number two" amalgamated and get back to reality." He pushed the rest of his plate away from him.

He stood up and turned to her, reaching up to gently touch her scarred ear. "I see ya' had a few scraps since I last saw ya'." A bit of concern in his voice. "Anythin' I can do? Get a bandaid? Kiss it? Kill fifty guys who pissed ya' off? Anythin' for a friend."
Ya know when they say that no
matter how good you are there's
always someone out there that's better?
That's me.
Onyx
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Predator

Post by Onyx »

She laughed outright at the "fat and lazy" part, she couldn't help it. Looking him over, that's another thing she couldn't stop, she had missed him too much. Her ears twitched at certain parts of his tale. Like that go away and die part. He's the one that went away this time, buuuut now wasn't a good time to point that out.

Her eyes slowly blink, her lips turn up when he touches her ear. "Just stay awhile. And your number two?" She laughs, then sobers. "Who's Laash?"

She tried her best to keep up with his tale so far, but was floundering. But hey, she's in this for the long haul. And happy about it.
Karnafexx
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Karnafexx »

"Who's" Laash?" She asked and he paused a moment.

"She's an old flame. SOmeone I taught ta' duel and she did pretty darn good. She had problems that caught up with her, problems from her past life, and she had ta' split and deal with 'em." Rubbing his neck he stood up and gave Onyx a peck on the cheek.

"Listen, Babe. I got rooms galore here, make one yer own so whenever ya' need a place ta' escape, ya got one here. I got errands ta' run for Mr. Cranky and if I don't get goin', I'll be out all night. Maybe we can get together and talk about old times later tonight or tomorrow."

Billy checked his watch and noticed the hour. His face took on a soured aspect. "If I wasn't already retired, I'd say I need ta'."

With a sigh and one last hug for his sis, he headed to his room to change.

Return to “The Dead Nicholas”