September Spooks

A place for the stories that take place within Rhy'Din
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

September Spooks

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

::The upheaval of the past month was something to be seen. Near legendary establishments were burning, families were falling apart, and some of Rhydin's most popular patrons seemed just as touched by the new culture of fear as those down in the rough of the streets. Not only was change in the air... it was spreading like some mysterious disease and taking Rhydin's countrymen by storm. These thoughts swam through the mind of a rather shaken and concerned Anjolie Quinn as she tended to the evening's chores in the country ranch she'd come to love. There was something terrible lurking out in the night. For the past several weeks she'd been awaken multiple times at the frightened screaming of her horses and the howling chorus of her hounds. It didn't seem to make sense because the fires started in the cities were miles away from her home. There was something outside. Whatever it was... it was turning the lives of Denizens across the country absolutely upside-down. As Anjolie finished with her work in the living room, she walked absentmindedly towards the kitchen, looking at the newspaper as she passed. Her dear friend and business partner entered from the other end of the hall.::

"Quinn, did you get around to working with the new mare today? I know we don't need to get her ready for showing just yet, but I think it would be a good idea just to get her accustomed to our methods, don't ya think?"

::Elizabeth made her way around the pine island and towards the refrigerator. Anjolie couldn't help but find it a comfort to live with her and the other three farmhands under one roof. If nothing else, you never felt completely alone. She hated feeling alone.::

"I didn't get into anything too serious. Really just worked on walking her around and introducing her to the rest of the stock. I want to see which ones she prefers... maybe that'll make our show listings easier to write out. I hate taking horses who aren't exactly kosher with each other to the same events."

::Elizabeth gave a hearty chuckle and rolled her eyes, now pulling her head out of the fridge and looking back at Anjolie.::

"I don't care who she likes... it can never be as bad as sticking Mamma and Messiah in a trailor together. Jeez-loweez."

::Anjolie laughed... the first time in days. She went about straightening things up and trying to make sure they'd have enough food to go around for the next couple of days. She hated going grocery shopping if it wasn't necessary. Satisfied with the result, she walked back over to the sink and took in a deep breath. Anjolie exhaled slowly before speaking.::

"Elizabeth, what do you think is going on with the animals?"

::A grim expression overcame the older woman's face as she faced her younger companion. There was something lurking just below the surface that Anjolie could only imagine was her worst fear of what lurked in the dark of Rhydin's countryside.::

"Honestly... I've never seen anything like it. The dogs won't even leave their houses at night, now."

::There was a slight pause before Elizabeth spoke again.::

"Have you thought 'bout askin' some of the other folks round here if they've noticed anything unusual?"

::Anjolie shook her head softly, not having wanted to pose that question.::

"No... but starting tomorrow, I think that's exactly what I'm going to have to do."

::The two women nodded to each other and finished up their last bit of business. Anjolie headed outside to double check that everything was under lock and key before coming back inside for a restful night... hopefully.::
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Shahai Iida
Adventurer
Adventurer

Coups

Post by Shahai Iida »

The dragon sat perched atop the bluffs outside of RhyDin. Her presence sent waves of fear through the animals. Those that could fled for their lives. Those that could not grew restive and fretted in their cages and pens.

She loved the ambiance of fear. It fed her soul as few things could.

She launched into the starlit sky, circling over a small ranch. The shadows of the dragons form casting a blacker shadow on the ground. She could hear the baying of dogs, and the frightened whickering of horses.

Fear.

Raw, stark terror.

She thanked all the Deities of the Hells - how she loved this body!

What a coup!
Shahai Iida
First Follower of The Bloodspeaker
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

"Yes... yes, thank you. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. You have a nice night as well."

::The phone was slammed back down on the handset as Anjolie Quinn let out a frustrated groan. After checking around the neighborhood and calling up the police the best answer she'd been given was that all this was happening because of coyotes. Anjolie knew what coyotes were and what they'd do to her animals. This was not because of some pathetic coyote.::

"I swear to God half the people in that office aren't fit to wash windows, let alone try and regulate law."

::The others in the room, Bo and Elizabeth, couldn't help but chuckle as Anjolie herself flopped exhaustedly onto the sofa. She wasn't sure what was out there, she just knew it was making her lose sleep and making her animals skiddish as all hell.::

"Bo, do you think you or Hank could try and keep watch outside for the next couple of nights. I want to know what is going on out there."

::For a split second it looked like the man was going to fight this request, but then he remembered that this was kinda his boss and it was her decision whether or not he was gonna stay up all night and work. So, he merely shrugged and nodded his head.::

"Alright, boss... we'll take care of it."

::The man grunted as he pulled himself out of the polished, oak rocking chair and headed for the kitchen to make himself a pot of coffee. He figured he could cover the first few hours and then pull Hank's lazy butt outta bed to finish it off. Anjolie glanced to Elizabeth who seemed content in her needlework and then leaned back into the couch to close her eyes for just a moment.::

"I think I'm heading to town either tonight or tomorrow. You need anything?"

::Anjolie looked over to see her cohort shake her head in a 'no'. Quinn nodded slowly to herself and then spoke again.::

"You don't mind watching Kallie for me, do you?"

::Elizabeth stopped in her stitching and rolled her eyes at Quinn.::

"You know I don't mind. Despite her excessive flow of energy, I love that kid."

"Yeah... I know."

::A rather solemn expression crossed her face. She owed so much to the woman and yet she didn't think she'd ever be able to repay even half of it. Anjolie rose from the sofa and headed towards the hallway.::

"You gonna take her latest drawings to him?"

::Anjolie stopped dead in her tracks and wheeled around with an embarassed flush of red in her cheeks.::

"Uh... take who-what?"

::A stern eye peered at Anjolie over a jumbled mess of yarn and pins.::

"Cory... are you going to take Cory the pictures Kallie drew for him."

::Anjolie shrugged and brushed it off like the whole thing was no big deal.::

"I dunno, Liz. He seems awfully busy with everything. Besides, he'd probably much rather just come see Kallie and not have me always following him around."

::Elizabeth didn't respond and Anjolie was grateful for her silence. She frowned and bit her lip as she grabbed the nearest coat and headed outside to check on how things were going and then maybe head for town. She needed a night on the town and she needed it bad. That being said, there aren't many men open to just going on random dates with single moms. As Anjolie headed for the truck she noticed the animals stirring once more. By the end of this week, she intended to get to the bottom of all this unnatural disturbance.::
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Shahai Iida
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Shahai Iida »

The negotiations meant she'd have to hunt elsewhere, and as she lifted off from the bluffs, she circled over the outer farmlands.

Horse meat was tasty. She could hear horses screaming, but they were not in the pastures or corrals. They were inside buildings.

Hmmm..... charcoal broiled horsemeat?

The black shadow swooped low over the barns.
Shahai Iida
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

::It began again with the growling and whimpering of the dogs. The hounds were going crazy as Quinn walked over towards the stables. She stopped in her tracks the horses then joined in the chorus. A cloud of dust rose from the stables as the horses startled and kicked at the walls of their stalls. Anjolie's eyes shifted from their vibrant violet coloring into a shade of dark burgundy. She looked frantically over the grounds before taking a second to draw in a deep breath.::

"Hank!! Bo!! Get out here fast!!"

::The voice carried easily into the nearby ranch house as the guys clumsily rose from their relaxing and ran towards the door. Each took hold of a gun before exiting the house. They, too knew of the strange happenings these past few weeks and weren't taking any chances. If there was a coyote, or bear, or mountain cat, or whatever the hell it was, they intended to shoot every last breath out of the beast's body.::

"Quinn, what's wrong? What's going on?"

::Bo ran immediately to her side. Hank managed to come stumbling out after him and headed over towards the dog pen.::

"I'll check over here, boss."

::Anjolie looked anxiously at Bo and then pointed towards the horses.::

"Whatever it is that's been buggin' them is here. I've been lookin' around, but damnit all if I haven't seen a single thing."

::Bo brought up his gun and fired a shot into the air to try and draw out whatever creature it was they were looking for. The dogs immediately stopped barking and the screams of the horses grew dimmer. Both of their eyes began to scan the grounds as Elizabeth switched on the porch lights from inside the house. She knew to stay inside and watch Kallie while they took care of the problem.::

"Wait... just wait. Give the beast a second to worry and then we'll take it down."

::And so the three waited. Hank came over to join the others as they stood there, backs to each other, looking for any single sign of movement.::
Shahai Iida
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Shahai Iida »

The gunshot echoed through the bluffs and hills, shattering the black velvet night air.

I landed high atop one of the overlooking bluffs to study the humans who moved across the ground between the house and barns.

The dogs silenced at the report of the rifle, but the horses remained restive, kicking the walls in their agitation.

Glittering faceted lavender eyes followed their movements, and I laughed inwardly.

Lifting the dragon's head to the starlit sky, I roared into the valley, letting my presence be heard. Launching from the bluffs, flying in a direct line toward the Dragon's Gate District once again, my shadow raced across the ground in a silent black form that left terror wherever it fell, and I flew across the grounds where the rifle shot had originated.

Darkness swept over the land, sending creatures great and small scuttling for safety.

It was time to speak to the faerie once more.
Shahai Iida
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

"Dear God in heaven..."

::The bottom dropped out of Anjolie's stomach as she watched the shadows shift and saw the form from above. Bo saw the shadow first and took it upon himself to grab Quinn by the arm and yank her back in some effort of protection. Hank looked upwards after the commotion and caught the tail end of the terrible sight.::

"What do we do, boss?"

::The men both looked at Quinn as she stared, thunderstruck, into the skies. Her head shook lightly from left to right as a thousand thoughts rocketed through her mind.::

"I'm gonna go call the cops... they might know what we should do."

::Drawing in a deep breath and feeling tears welling up in her eyes::

"Until then... we go inside. Hank, you keep watch from the porch and leave the door open. I'll sleep on the couch."

::The men nodded as Quinn looked back to the house. The worried face of Elizabeth stared back at her through the glass.::

"If that was what I think it was... we're in over our heads."

::The rest of the evening would play out just as she had said. Anjolie sent Elizabeth to stay at the Red Dragon Inn with Kallie for the night. She was going to need to try and get ahold of Cory and let him know what was going on. Other than that all she planned to do was let her neighbors know and see what they had to say on the matter. All in all... things weren't looking too good. The rough nights and shadowy spooks seemed to be suddenly far from over.::
Shahai Iida
Adventurer
Adventurer

Roasted Horse Dinner

Post by Shahai Iida »

The night covers many things. As the black shadow devoured the ground below, the dragon headed for the barn, with it's skittish horses, and too few people to pose a threat.

Daigotsu had said I might bring a mob upon us, but out here, there were no mobs.

Talons raked throught the roof, tearing material as easily as a child shreds paper. Horses screamed, kicking the walls of their stalls in terror as dragon fear washed over the barn. Even the dogs ran whining in fear as the second attack brought flame licking at the wooden structure.

Roasted horse is almost as good as roasted cattle.

The orange-yellow flames leapt into the starlit sky. Raw terror gripped the animals and as I climbed toward the bluffs, the humans came running toward the barn, and just for fun, I wheeled around, swooping low over their heads, talons reaching for one of the women. A soul to cast into hell tonight would be enjoyable.
Shahai Iida
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

::The animal's cries stirred their keepers from a semi-relaxed state. Quinn had been so enjoying the day she'd spent with Cory and Kallie. She'd been enjoying the silence and simplicity that came with peacful country living. But tonight, as the horses screamed and the dogs choked on their own howls, they had run frantically out into the yard. Elizabeth had taken Kallie and headed immediately for the truck. She knew the drill. As the dragon set fire to the stables, Quinn rushed forward in a rather heroic attempt to try and free the herd from a fiery death.::

"Boys, get over here!! We'll worry about the beast second, save the horses!!!"

::Hank and Bo matched her pace easily. It was Bo who had seen the dragon swooping down at Quinn. It was Bo who heard Kallie screaming and crying as Beth sped away from the ranch. And it was Bo who would step forward to push his boss into the burning stables as he stepped into the dragon's path. Anjolie hadn't even noticed the creature circling around them.::

"Hank!! Try to get the ones closest to the door, we need to just let them out."

::Anjolie first ran through and unlocked as many paddocks as she could, flinging the doors wide open so that the horses could try to run out if they had the wits to do as such. Only three ran, Anjolie quickly through her jacket over the eyes of the nearest mare and quickly ran it out into the yard. It was only then that she took a second to really understand what was happening. The sight unfolding before her eyes sickened her to the point of causing her knees to buckle and eyes to roll slightly out of view.::

"Dear God, what have you done..."

::Hank joined her outside the burning stables with the 2 he'd managed to unlock which decided to flee and the two he had grasped in his hand which now joined their cohorts. There was only a moment to take in this terrible event as the two both rushed in once more to save just a mere 3 more. That made for 11 which were out so far... the others were unabled to be rescued as the blaze threatened more lives than were meant to be lost this evening. It had been a dragon. A great and fearsome dragon. The fires seemed far from over.::
Shahai Iida
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Shahai Iida »

The humans ran for the burning barn as the horses screamed in terror, of both the dragon, and the flames. They scattered into different directions as one ran for a vehicle with the child, and the others ran for the burning barn.

The goal had been the woman, but two talons sank deeply into the man's back as he shoved her intended victim to the ground at the entrance of the barn, and she rose with him clutched in a crushing grip and headed for the bluffs to watch. He would do. His fear would feed her healing.

He expired in terror, his death something he could feel and see coming in graphic detail. His soul went into hell with pure terror lacing his mind and body. His blood pooled beneath him, soaking into the dry ground as she watched the flames.

They had rescued some of the horses.... but not all. It was time to go collect herself a roasted horse.

She headed back, dropping like a silent black shadow out of the night sky to snatch one of the horses trapped inside, taking the dying creature with her back to the bluffs.
Shahai Iida
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

::The fire continued to rage as Hank and Quinn were both showered in embers, eventually having to pull back due to the burning. The state of shock which loomed over their heads was enormous. The pair were covered head to toe in an assortment of wounds, not feeling a lick of pain as they mourned the death of their friend. It was all becoming clear to them now. Outraged and sickened by the massive display of grisly carnage, Anjolie leaned forward and felt herself having to choke back the terrible sensation of acid burning in her stomach and throat. Hank simply stood there, dumbfounded.::

::Anjolie found the strength to hold back her disgust and absolutely terror at the scent of burning flesh in the air, seeing Bo's blood on the ground in front of her. It took only a few moments to sober up quickly.::

Hank... get in your truck and head for the Inn to meet Elizabeth. I need to go find Cory."

::Quinn watched the skies as she said this, as if making sure the dragon wasn't close enough to hear it. Granted, the beast would have little or no interest in pursuing them further, likely... she was just being stupidly overprotective. Hank nodded simply as he started running for the trucks on the front lawn of the ranch. Quinn followed very close behind and didn't stop until she was in the vehicle. They would come back for the horses later. What was important now would be the prevention of any further human loss. They would have to come to terms with Bo's death in a very short while... just not right this second. Now was for regrouping and getting some help. The only thing she'd gotten out of this attack was the presence of a dragon... a strange blue colored dragon that was terrorizing their lands. This was going to be dealt with.::
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

::The night had dragged on for what seemed like an endless amount of time. The shocking realization of Bo's death began to drive into brain like rusty nails as she drove at top speeds towards Cory's apartment. Upon arrival she was informed by a neighbor of his that he'd gone down to the bar. The man offered to drive Anjolie there, likely disturbed by the sight of burns and blood covering her body. Still, she refused the help gratefully and continued along the way. By the time the truck had come to a halt in the gravel parking lot of the run down tavern, Quinn could feel her eyes begin to flutter and legs begin to lose their strength. As Quinn opened the door it took a concentrated effort not to fall through. The bar man's greeting was cut short with a gasp of surprise, pointing his only patron for the evening to look in the door's direction.::

::Anjolie saw Cory's frame rushing towards her and needed to hold on for only a second longer. The need for strength was momentarily tossed aside as she fell weakly into his cradling embrace. The barman assisted in propping her up at a nearby table. Cory's strong voice barked orders out at the man to fetch medical supplies and it took less than a second for the old coot to comply.::

"What happened to you?"

::Cory's voice brought Anjolie drowsily back to her senses. The question was unwanted. She didn't want to say, didn't want to admit that he'd been right about her staying out there alone and she certainly didn't want to worry him.::

"We... were attacked. It was a dragon, Cory..."

::Quinn had paused at the approach of the barman bringing bandages and antiseptics. Her eyes felt heavy with exhaustion and stung with the mixture of dirt and tears.::

"My God... Kallie wasn't there, was she?"

::The pleading look in his eyes prompted her to respond quickly::

"Kallie's fine. I had Beth take her as soon as we knew what was going on. She's at the Red Dragon Inn."

::Her heart sank as tried to finish the story at Cory's beckoning. The barman and Cory began to push lightly against her wounds in an attempt to clean them. The sting of alcohol made her wince... but with the pain she was already in, this was nothing more than a mild annoyance.::

"I didn't see it coming, Cory. I didn't, but he did. And he pushed me into the stables. I didn't know why."

::A lump rose within her throat as what little vision she could muster was blurred with the well of tears clouding her eyes.::

"Who pushed you, Anjolie? What happened?"

::Cory still held her close as she relaxed in the wooden chair.::

"It was Bo. The dragon... it swooped down after me and I didn't see it. He saved me, Cory. He saved me and the beast killed him for it."

::Anjolie's face screwed up as she continued to weep. Bo had been a great and a loyal friend. Even though she felt sadness now, it was nothing in comparison to the task of telling Beth what happened later on this evening.::

"Then he's a hero to both you and I, babe."

::As Cory and the barman finished their attempts to wash her of the blood and dirt from the attack, Quinn took in a deep breath and staggered to her feet with Cory's aid. They were to head to the Red Dragon Inn and get Hank before driving out to the ranch. Quinn asked for his help in rounding up the last of the horses and Cory had kindly agreed. Beth was going to keep Kallie with her and they would meet up later on that evening. After all was said and done, Anjolie returned to the Inn with Hank, dropping Cory off back at his apartment. She didn't want him to leave, but it only seemed proper. Besides... there wasn't a doubt in her mind that he'd be back later on that day to check up on them. It was nice to have someone who cares. Even if she wasn't sure whether or not it was she that he cared for... it at the very least made Kallie's life a thousand times better.::

Return to “The Streets of Rhy'Din (shared)”