Arcadian Nightmare

A place for stories beyond the gates of Rhy'Din
Franciszka
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Arcadian Nightmare

Post by Franciszka »

"It's time to wake up my pet... or else." Fran's eyes flickered open at the sound of a familiar voice and, in a panic, she looked around. She wasn't in her bed at the cabin; she wasn't in the cabin at all. The changeling found herself alone on the forest floor by where she first entered Rhydin.

It felt like someone hit the fae with a brick, and the world was spinning around her. When she finally made it to her feet, nausea overtook her, and she threw up a mess of flowers. “Fuck! That definitely hasn’t happened before. Am I… back?” Now that the world had stabilized a bit, she got a feel for her surroundings. Immediately, there was recognition in her eyes when she spotted a conspicuous arch of trees. “Why? Why am back fucking here again? And why am I so tempted to go through it.”

”Because it’s your home, and lost little girls should always return home. You know it’s only right to return to where you belong and who you belong to. Dangerous things lurk in the unknown, those who might try to… lure you away. Those such as Iskira Adia will never treat you as you deserve Franciszka.” The voice was just as smooth and enticing as Franciszka remembered. Some part of her instinctually wanted to do exactly as she was told.Her feet started taking her towards the arch until she mustered up the will to stop herself.

The changeling resisted, “N-no! Miss Adia is helping me find a new home in Rhydin, and I d-don’t belong to you!” Her voice wavered exposing just how weak her determination was against him. She attempted to run from the archway and his influence but before she could move nearby roots wrapped themselves around her ankles. No amount of dexterity could keep her from falling, and the landing was rough. Blood spilled from her cheek, as a stone from the forest floor sliced it open. Fran kicked helplessly at the roots. She was dragged right back to where she had started.

Fran’s keeper spoke again in a tone that was sickeningly sweet, ”No one actually wanted to help you. Jackson Payne, Iskira Adia? They were all just like Kiyahni; they were luring you in to kill you eventually. Do you really believe any of them care about you? No one will appreciate you the way I do, even after all you’ve done to hurt me.” The Fae managed to convincingly feign sadness for the last part of the sentence. Magic was woven into every word they spoke trying to pull the girl back in.

The roots uncoiled from her legs, allowing her to stand up. Uncontrollably, she found herself pacing towards the gateway. “Maybe going back is the right choice” There was an air of resignation about her. The portcullis to the hedge didn’t appear to be the entrance it was last time. Instead, it was a mirror of the forest behind her. A hand reached out to push through the mirror but it was water against her palm and she tumbled through. Her eyes closed for the inevitable impact with the ground yet it never came. Her stomach lurched when she didn’t stop falling. Opening her eyes, she saw Rhydin below her; she flipped around to see the sky welcoming her descent. She screamed but the vast blue expanse was empty but a single speck falling up. The city in the background slowly disappeared from view. The sky gradually shifted to a deep black until Franciszka couldn’t even see herself. There was no warning when she suddenly stopped falling and landed in someone’s arms.

”Finally you return to me, my pet. Did you really think escaping would be that easy? That I didn’t just let you leave? You were meant for such a grand purpose; it was to be a magnificent piece of art and you failed me.” The carpet she landed on was surprisingly rough, as the Fae tossed her to the floor. There was a tug on her collar and before she could respond they dragged her away. “I hope you don’t think you’re getting off easy this time. Come now. I have something prepared.”

Franciszka was given no time to think about what happened, leaving her confused, frightened, and somewhat ecstatic. “I ah- I’m sorry Miss. I didn’t mean to have failed you, I didn't know. Are you? Am I going to be your next art piece?” Her voice trembled and she struggled to keep up with them while still on her hands and knees.

“You shouldn’t be so lucky. You FAILED me remember? I would never reward you for your failure. Gone for a week and you’ve already forgotten everything, useless girl.” Loravel spoke with a hint of anger disguised by their usual sweet tone. They turned back and looked at her, annoyance clear on their face. “It seems I’m running out of time. How lucky for you. I’ll see you again and we’ll have all the time in the world. Ta ta.”

Fran's eyes flickered open and, in a panic, she looked around. She wasn't in her bed at the cabin; she wasn't in the cabin at all. The changeling found herself alone on the forest floor by where she first entered Rhydin. Her hands groped her face finding no hint of the cut that had been there before and no rug burns on her knees. She spent a long time staring into the gateway to the hedge until she finally picked herself up and limped back to the cabin.

Return to “Beyond the Gates (shared)”