Drabbles - History Repeats

“Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.” ~Joan Crawford

Moderator: Haru Jeong

Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - History Repeats

Post by Haru Jeong »

"Funny... y'know I kinda thought... when all this was over, we'd... we'd maybe have a chance, y'know? To be, like... normal..." the voice was sad, the smile weak, the man standing across from Haru had known, he’d known this was inevitable, he just didn’t want to believe it.

Haru would look at him, “Look at us, I’m a demon, you’re a mortal, our lives are drastically different, I live every moment knowing it won’t be my last, you live every moment like it could be, we could never be normal, I waited to see if maybe we could, but you deserve better, normal, I can never be that.” His voice was filled with a haunting loneliness, he knew he would be alone, even in Rhydin the consciousness of each person would someday die, he didn’t know where in the cycle he sat, but there was no natural end for him, he wished there was, but it was impossible.

He stopped searching after that, throwing himself at bettering his world, protecting those weaker than himself, using his talents to eliminate those who would take advantage of kids like who he once was, and using their wealth to give those kids a chance.

The cambion himself lived modestly, a chunk of his funds from merchandise and fame the sports provided going right back into it, expanding it for handsome donations each season to those in need, bringing people up, instead of trying to rise over them, he didn’t need that, he wanted change, and he had an eternity to get it.

Maybe that is why it came to his surprise, when a few years later, a hand brushed his while he worked, his fundraiser and by one of the volunteers, fighting for the same cause, the action itself not a shock, but what came after. One brushed hand turned into a conversation, one conversation became weeks of talking on the phone before bed, eventually working up the courage to ask for a date, the girl blinking, asking if that wasn’t what they were already doing, a laugh left his lips, a genuine laugh on his lips, the first in years, since he accepted his fate was lonely. Those dates became nights together without a phone line connecting them, laying side by side, resting their foreheads together and gently holding each other, this was love.

Eventually came the day, the inevitable talk they would have, a talk that Haru had come to terms with, if she chose to stay, they would live the rest of her life together, before the loneliness would take hold again, “Look at us Bex, we can never be normal, I will outlive you, watch you grow old and die, mourn your loss, before you’re even gone.

Bex, her twinkling laugh piercing his sentence, sending butterflies through his stomach, would step forward, resting soft hands on his cheeks, “My dear Haru, I’ll come back, this is Rhydin, people are reborn and revived every day, you’re an incredible caster, even if I die, you can make it so my soul finds you, our forever will not be the same as some, but we will live hundreds of lifetimes, you can woo me every time I return, tell me about our pasts, let us make fresh memories every time. If I had to choose… I’d choose to grow old in your arms, and know when I next awoke I would be young, and back safely in your arms. Maybe it’s selfish, we will have pain, but at least we won’t be alone.”

Those words rang in his ears, the promise they truly could have that forever, even as she snuggled into his chest, the burning in his heart, his eyes staring at her, his lips resting on the top of her head, his fingers slowly moving up to cup her cheek, tilting it up to look at him, “I didn’t know if you would stay…” his voice was quiet, even, “I didn’t prepare for this, perhaps I am greedy for wanting you at my side forever, even knowing that binds you to never truly be at peace, but I will ask, only once, Bex, will you stay by my side, not because I need you, but because I want you, and I want you to choose me.” The question tossing out the symbolism of religion with all the same meaning.

“It was my idea silly,” her voice soft, “It would be an honour to fall for you over and over, to know that whatever heartbreak rests in my future, You’re waiting on the other side.”

The ceremony was simple, Bex dressed in a simple red gown, Haru in a basic black suit, stereotypical but it fit, his tail was combed, his horns were sanded smooth and hit with a polish, his eyes with a gentle eyeliner, he wanted to look good beside his bride, the woman standing as radiant as the sun, gorgeous as the moon. Vows were exchanged, and a small incantation with the prepared materials sealed the deal, she would always find him.

The life of the pair was a simple one, road trips taken, Haru roaring out the cheesiest love songs the radio would play, serenading the beauty at his side, voice going quiet when she started to sing along, starstruck every moment, every second falling more in love.

Family dinners and questions on if they would be welcoming another to their little family, secrets kept every time they artfully dodged the question, yet going home and wondering the same. Bex had always known Haru wanted to be a father, and give his children a life he never had, Haru knew she wanted to someday be a mother, but didn’t know if he could be a father. Fate eventually taking the fate of the two into her own hands, and soon, they were answering that question with soons and dates, crib set up in the nursery, diapers on the shelves, doctors appointments and kissed baby bumps, the gentle strum of a guitar and a softly sang lullaby, naps on the couch and walks through the parks.

The peace didn’t last, soon replaced by screams of pain in a cramped hospital, they had gone on one last trip before their son was due, and he had chosen to come early, screams were replaced by the wail of a baby, held in their arms, tired parents trying to calm little Jun, pets trying to investigate the loud crying creature, even when most unwelcome, wails turned to sobs, sobs turned to snark, snark became a kind young man with the future a choice to make, as had his father before him, not alone.

And then there were two, first were the tears from their baby leaving the nest, then the changes, her face showing lines where there had been none, her body weakening, to Haru it felt like just a moment, instead of the decades, his wife if anything looking more radiant with each passing year, until the moment she was gone. He screamed, he screamed and sobbed for days holding her to his chest, only now realizing how withered and frail she had become, the strong radiant woman was gone, in her place an empty shell.

The funeral was quiet, the man still appearing young, his son at his side, they spoke of her beauty and kindness, of the day they met, and how someday she would come back, promising this wouldn’t be goodbye, even if it seemed that way in the moment, they had made a promise… right? A small kiss was rested on a small rose, before he knelt and let it fall into the hole his love now laid.

Decades again passed, Haru never aging a day, red eyes constantly searching, his hands going through the motions, fundraisers held, people made stronger, speeches made, their wedding bands on a chain around his neck, his family at his side.

His hands were going through donations for a local food drive, when once more, a hand brushed his, eyes looking up as his breath caught in his throat, the person facing his wasn’t the woman he loved, not physically, but somewhere deeper he could feel it, this was his Bex, this man before him was his Bex, it didn’t matter what form they took, Bex had said she would find him, and each generation without fail, their hands would brush, the death leading to the hope for another fateful meeting, until the day she didn’t come back, he could feel it, the world dying, there was no way for them to be a family again, their son had been killed, a single well placed bullet ending his life.

His eyes were filled with tears as once more he screamed, screamed like the first day he lost her, the flames he had such good control of rippling from him in chaotic waves. They burned everything they touched. The furthest reaches leaving scarred earth, even to his own body, the world burned to ashes and dust, the demon earning his peace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Haru?” The familiar voice was kind, his hair brushed from his face before he even opened his eyes, Bex, “Baby… why are you crying?” her hands were warm, soft, and real, he could feel the pressure on his cheeks where her palms sat, “Was it the dream about losing me again? See I’m ok… I’m not going anywhere.”

His eyes open weakly, and he stares at her, memories flooding back, they had already found a way, without making her like him they could have eternity, his fingers tracing the swell of her lips, “I love you…” the only words whispered as she closed her eyes, leaning into his touch.
Last edited by Haru Jeong on Fri May 28, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Tales from The Watcher - Hidden Scars - Part 1 (18+ for safety, Content Warnings within)

Post by Haru Jeong »

((CW : This thread will feature, General dark content, abandonment, death, street life, crime life and assorted other things that will be warned about in each part as they come))

A man sat, resting on what would appear at first to be a cliff, the man was familiar to many his features clear, his identity both obvious and a puzzle. As the listener would approach he would speak softly, his words enchanting the world around him, as below the scene shifted from forests and trees, to a map of the planes, various worlds and times playing out a story that was both his and not.

“You came for a story, didn’t you?” His voice rang out softly, a small smile as his gaze turned, “You may know me, you may not, but for now, you may call me the watcher, for I ensure these stories can be told, to those who need to hear them.”

"If you wish to take a seat, I will tell you the story of the broken one, his story that has led him to both shattering against the wall that is fate, and rebuilding stronger than he once was, for he is no longer that scared little boy he once was, no longer is he afraid to speak, and unlike the guardian, no longer is he timid, he's willing to stand strong and not run, and not even I can tell you where that will lead, but I can tell you what brought us here."

The scene shifts suddenly, and the listener would see from the eyes of another, the world around them bright, they would find themselves unable to move, they were truly experiencing this story, parts of it at least.

---------------------------------------------------------

The giggle of children, the scolding of parents, the listeners eyes would open, their view that of someone small. A laugh could be heard as a snowball was thrown, a little girl, seven at the oldest standing bundled up, glowing red eyes as she prepared to throw another, “Come and get me Haru!” She turned to run, a foot catching a branch as she tripped.

The listener would feel themselves laugh, would feel the little boys whose eyes they were watching throughs amusement, “Beeeeeeeeeee how does the snow taste?”

The girl would turn, whipping another snowball at the listener from her spot on the ground, the impact of it letting the world go dark, for but a moment, the snow falling away revealing not the tranquility and peace that have been there, but horror and fear, screams and smoke.

The view changed to a closet, gunfire audible as the listener tried to cover his ears, knees pulled against his chest as he tried to muffle his sobs. The girl across speaking softly, “Haru, you need to be quiet ok?” The view became hazy as time seemed to pass in slow motion, the girl eventually getting up, stepping out of the closet, no sounds as she left the range of the listeners senses.

Eventually a man would open the closet door, yelling back as he picked up the listener, having lost track of time, having become numb to the fear coursing through his veins, the shock setting in, the bloodstains on the carpet barely triggering a response as they draped a blanket over his shoulders and carried him out to an ambulance in the warm July sun.

“... Are you alright to continue?” The Watcher would speak calmly, his red eyes meeting those of the listener.

The listeners voice was hoarse as he responded, a nod accentuating the action, “Will my life be like his? Starting with so much pain?”

The watcher shook his head, “Unlikely, though maybe, I just watch, I don’t predict or affect, as the rules state-“

“The rules you’ve already broken.”

The Watcher paused for a second, “You will understand why soon.”

Once again the image faded, dropping The Listener back into the memories.

The Listener would be dropped into a home, back in the body of the boy, still numb, no emotions felt by his young mind, as he was thrust into a foster home, the screaming in the evenings the only thing that brought emotions bubbling back up to the surface, fear, loneliness, wondering when his parents would come for him, when they’d reunite him with his sister.

He no longer spoke, he no longer cried, for that first year he did nothing but attend those interviews, no one wanted a broken child, they wanted new, healthy, minimally damaged, things he wasn’t and likely never would be.

That first year passed, at the very end the boy watched another child get taken in, by a seemingly loving couple, Eun. It was then the home discovered what he was, the small child finding himself thrown out, pounding on the door, sobbing, finding his voice quietly as he begged to be let back in, not understanding why he was thrown out, why he would never be wanted. The begging lasted until the chill of night set in, the boy wrapped in his thin blanket, trying desperately to find somewhere out of the wind, eventually finding the alley, curling up against a dumpster, and crying softly to himself.

“Stop! Please...” The Listener choked slightly, watching the scene play out, snapping back to his own form, “Just stop, I get it.”

The Watcher tilted his head, “I don’t think you do, the story is far from over, and it truly does have a happy ending, if you wish to hear it...”

The Listener looked up to The Watcher, “I’ll think about it... just, not today.”
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - Consequences

Post by Haru Jeong »

February, 21st, 2021, 9:00PM Rhydin Time

Bounce, bounce, catch. Bounce, bounce, catch.

Haru’s hand easily tossed the ball, bounced it on the floor, up to the wall, and back to his hand, red eyes watched it, a cat laid across his lap, for the first time in a while he was home alone with his thoughts.

A book rested on the nightstand, a pair of knives rested on the grimoire, hands covered in a fine layer of chalk ink, and maybe a little blood, all things that remained unnoticed... for the moment.

Magic swirled lightly around his fingers, flames wreathing the ball, a couple vials resting beside the books, swirling and glowing brightly with a magic uncommon, a magic he hated using, but one that was necessary for his survival. He knew he needed to use one soon, it had been months since he had, and even without the limiters in use his power was dwindling, his physical strength definitely not where it was.

He probably wouldn't lie if someone asked, but the few days of not seeing Linna outside sleeping had been cherished, and he'd be lying if he tried to tell you he wasn't avoiding her, he didn't want her to see him like this, not as he desperately avoided feeding the demonic side of him. Would she be able to accept what he had to do? That he had to consume not just the essence of a persons emotions and memories, but the soul itself?

A small sigh, Haru reaches for his journal, jostling the cat from his lap, scribbling a quick entry in it, the words taking longer to write than usual, seeming out of focus. Once finished, he quickly grabs a vial, tapping it, "Hells... this is gonna suck... He mumbles, closing his eyes, popping the cork, and upending it down his throat.

It took seconds, the vial falling into his lap, Haru falling from the bed as flames rippled around his hands, coughing and weezing, pulling himself towards the bathroom, he should not have let it get this bad, waited this long to feed his powers, he hated this so much.

His phone slipped into his hand as he retched into the toilet, hands shakily dialing a number, leaning against the toilet when he got a second to breath, "Hey... Mom? Any chance you could come get me? I'm not... exactly in a good state right now..." The conversation would softly continue, Haru barely managed to hang up before the next round of retching, tail drooped weakly behind him, hair still tied into a ponytail from the tournament, horns flickering with various colors of flame, the limiter runes working in overdrive to control his power.

It took a matter of minutes, Betty used her key to let herself in, helped up the shaking boy, "Come on, let's take you to the desert. Your Mom and Mathian will meet us there." Haru was unlikely to hear a word she said as she helped him out to the car, slipping his shaky form into the passenger seat. They were off quickly, red eyes closed against the cool glass of the window.
Last edited by Haru Jeong on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - Harold

Post by Haru Jeong »

Quiet corners and desperation led to dangerous dealings, a young woman sat, her body shaking, a ritual circle in front of her with the offerings she had been told about, possibly as a joke, possibly misinformation. Whatever the case, someone had heard her call, a tiefling made his way slowly up the path and sat across from her, an eyebrow raised at the offerings before him, “Do you understand what you have done?” The question was simple, quiet, “Do you understand the actions you have taken, that you intend to take, and what the cost is?”

His hands sat folded in his lap, eyes black as coals piercing that woman, “I understand... please, I’ll give you whatever you want, blood, soul-“

A hand raised, “You clearly think I am someone I’m not, my boss sent me ahead. You are asking for power for...” a sheet of paper brought from his bag, “Protecting your loved ones,” eyes tick up, “You live in a realm of magic and intrigue, you can learn what you need, why make a deal?”

Her body shook, “Because I don’t have time to wait and learn!” Her voice was sharp, her green eyes boring into the tiefling, “And I’m not strong enough to just get them out of here, please...”

He sighed quietly, sliding the paper across to her, “I need you to write exactly what you need, and I will tell you the cost and conditions that are associated, do you understand?”

The shaky woman took the page, writing everything carefully, “Exact wording, this is a demonic contract, the second the last step is completed it will be enacted to the letter.” His warning odd, not an advantageous position to create for himself, the demon for this moment not acting very... demonic.

She slid it back, the words on the page glowing, his eyes traced them, his pen altering some grammatical errors, into her favour, “You need to ensure those of us who would can’t use wording to take more than you agreed to, your deal is with me, I make the deal with my boss, no one else can touch you.”

She stared, rereading the wording, “You say your boss, Ryzlen Astaroth I presume... but what’s your name? And why do you care what happens to me?”

He smirked a little back, “It is in my best interest to provide quality service to my clients, give them a reason to choose me over others, and besides, not every contract devil is all demon.” The words were both cryptic and clear, “now the cost, for the amount of power you request, is one memory with potent emotions, the stronger the better, and there is no limit on what it can be, just... you will lose it forever, are we clear?”

Her hand reached out, over the ignored offerings, a hand reaching back to shake, “We have a deal sir.” The second the words were spoken, a blue mist left her mouth, and found its way into an open bottle, the cork applied quickly as she blinked, nodding to the being across from her, “Thank you...?”

“I guess you can refer to me as Harold.” A joke spoken very few would understand, “I wish you luck, and next time, try asking for help at the twilight isle.”

She nodded, turning to leave the teifling sitting, the illusion fell to reveal Haru, as he moved to rest his head on his hand, “Oi... What’s with these offerings... blood... wine... a pentagram in some attempt at a summoning circle... a classified would have worked just as well… and probably actually worked if I hadn’t been around.” He sighed softly, looking to the bottle, “Why is it always despair...” the words whispered, before he moved to stand, phone ringing, “Yea yea Eun I’m on my way back, I know I took my time on lunch, see you soon, don’t burn down my cafe.” Quick and quiet banter faded as he stepped back into the streets.
Last edited by Haru Jeong on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - Working in the Shadows

Post by Haru Jeong »

Darkness had never left the city, though the darkness a certain young man hunted was the type he was intimately familiar with, dressed in skin tight black clothes and armor he slipped through the shadows towards his target.

The cave was small, quiet, a wave of heat pulsed from within, flames ripped a rift between Rhy’din and the underworld, “Three of them, keep your eyes open, stay quiet, I’ll help you get out if you’re spotted, you know the drill, get in, close the rift, portal out, take three or four stops in portalling in case something tries to tail you.” The voice spoke in his mind, a quiet, calm, familiar voice.

The boy didn’t respond for a second, instead he slipped free of his shadow, just outside the cave, and peered inside, “Three demons, they seem to have corrupted some common beasts as well, I should blend in, can you enhance your presence? Or is that a once in a blue moon type thing, I’m trying to blend in.” his response was mental, the necklace below his clothing warmed up as the duo communicated, “Let the hunters handle these, I can’t take a swarm alone and fire won’t help.” He rolled his eyes as a small chuckle went through his mind, silent footsteps slipped back into shadow, and then out into the cave. He did small hops to get closer and closer to the rift, attempting to not be noticed, and this time... he succeeded.

The demons and beasts were preoccupied with a meal, a slight incantation spoken as the young man stole the soul, his intent to free it from its torment since he was here, a small bottle glowed with their pain as he tucked it away.

The boy continued to creep, the beasts remaining preoccupied as he slipped up beside the rift, the glowing red eyes not leaving the demons as he got as close as possible via shadows, and had to step free into the light of the flames.

His hands reached forward, into the flames of the rift, not incanting out loud but slowly knitting the tear closed, one eye continued to watch the hungry creatures, the distraction slowly diminished as both the meat was consumed, and they realized the absence of their prize.

Eyes turned to him, but not until the light given off from the rift had dimmed enough he could be mostly hidden by shadow, a loud roar as the rift closed and no one was there, anger in the sound, a quiet pop as it fully shut, the boy slipped away in silence, his job for the day done, his safety secured, for now.

((OOC NOTE : If someone wants to deal with these feel free, nothing super special about them, just 3 demons and X amount of corrupted beasts that one little half demon boy couldn’t handle solo.))
Last edited by Haru Jeong on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Voice of The Stone

Post by Haru Jeong »

((CW : This one is real dark, and shows a bit of a downward spiral Haru has found himself in, it deals heavily in self doubt and depression made so much worse by someone he used to trust with his life. Your warning about mental health is here, read at your own discretion.)

His hands were over his ears, the voice louder than before, the necklace around his neck pulsing with a dark flame. The hands wouldn’t drown it out, nothing could drown out the sounds of his failure, his loneliness, his helplessness, or the mental voice of his mentor. Ryzlen’s voice spoke with a malice never heard from the man, “You couldn’t help me, you can’t help them, she doesn’t want you to help, she doesn’t trust you… but you already know that don’t you?” His friend was long gone, tears rolled down Haru’s cheeks as he tried to protest against the words being spoken, “Your family has each other, they are blood, they have years with each other, and you’re just… the poor kid who had nothing and needs pity… it’s why Alik knew you’d do anything, it’s why your… mother, charmed you to help her in that tournament, they could use you…”

Haru curled up tighter, begging him to stop, the sounds leaving his lips barely human, definitely not words, whimpers echoing as for once, he was left completely alone in the locked room, “It’s why Eun didn’t seek you out when he came back, you have no purpose to those around you, and you’ll see, one by one each and every person you love will leave, as it always has been, as it always will be, especially with that other you, he isn’t weak, he isn’t broken, he doesn’t have your issues.”

A part of Haru knew he should not listen, grabbing at that flaming crystal and ripping it from his neck, anything to drown out the voice of his friend, anything to drown out his failure. His hands ripped at his hair, his own flames turning black as the ones from the pendant, resting on the floor, the skin around his eyes shifting to a leathery texture, the runes on his body losing their glow as he cried out, trying to make the words stop.

For just a second, he seemed to adopt the form of a full demon, eyes black as coal, before just, falling forward, face meeting the cold of the somehow unburnt wooden floor, sobs wracking his body, he trusted the demon who taught him control with everything, and now, every word was used to point out every failure, every flaw. The voice now faint, “Come on Haru, you’ve always known this, it’s why it hurts so bad every time you see a happy family, or even your own, you know you can never have what they all do.”

A scream left his lips at those words, the black flame around his hand devoid of nearly all control sent at the stone, most of the power absorbed, a single crack running along the facet of the infernal gem, a sob ripped through his chest, the voice silenced, the thoughts he had always had rippling back to the surface.

Every single person had tried to help him, to be family, but why, why wouldn’t these thoughts go away, why couldn’t he just be ok? He didn’t understand, he feared he’d never understand. He needed to do something, he needed to get out, before someone was hurt, he stumbled towards the door, not even making it before he stumbled through a shadow to… somewhere, somewhere hopefully safe, and alone, as he should be.
Last edited by Haru Jeong on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistakes In Time
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Was It Worth It? (05/18/2021 - Late Evening)

Post by Mistakes In Time »

When Haru had learned the truth about their souls, about his, about his much younger counterpart, at first he had wanted to violently rebel, much like he had watched the younger do. Instead however, brown eyes stared down at the books in front of him, understanding settled deep in his eyes as realizations hit. Magic rippled along his fingers uncontrolled by his own will. The binding of the soul had saved the one he thought he lost, the one he had killed through misactions and denial, yet the spell itself had been shattered, souls unbound but safe within him.

He closed his eyes, a sob wracked through his chest as a tear rolled down his face, it landed on the pages alongside so many others. As the man softly begged the half he had ripped away to give her back, to give back his Bex he knew she was there but unable to speak from behind the wall in his mind. His hands balled into fists as magic rippled, her magic, not his, as she fought to calm him from the despair he fought back every day. He wanted to hear her voice, feel her hand in his, listen to her gripe and complain about her students as she came home from her job as a teacher, pride in her voice as she spoke on her successes, frustration as she tried to help those struggling. She was supposed to be ok, they were not supposed to come for her, they should have come for him, taken his life when he refused to submit, but they had taken hers.

“Never use necromancy when you are desperate.” his parents had shown him the basics, and given him that one rule, a rule he was gonna break, as soon as he had the power to do it.

His hands reached for chalk, moving to start the outline of the circle on the table before him, to summon the one he sought. His brown eyes stared down at the runes and circles, lost in the magic, “You know there are easier ways to call, we are the same after all.” The voice was mocking yet familiar, yet it sounded hollow and empty.

The man set down the chalk, “But would you have?” His voice was the same as the one who had spoken, even as he looked up into the mass of shadows with red embers for eyes that glowed like a warm fire, “I cast you out, threw you away, would you have come?”

The demon stepped forward, a hand reached over the table to cup the humans cheek, his tone dripped with malice as he spoke, “Of course I would, you are so near and dear to my heart...” a sharp twist of the demons wrist as the human tried to pull away from the gesture had the pair face to face, shadows morphed into an identical face to the one that faced him, “I own you Haru, and you owe me the happiness you stole.” His voice was cold, “Or have you fallen into wallowing in your own pity, as you always do?”

The human growled, before he slapped away the hand of his shadow, "What happiness, your ability to put my son," a beat, "Her son, in danger, the happiness that came from having to bury my wife?" The word happiness spat by the mannearly swallowed by grief, "I called you here to make a deal."

The demon cackled manically, red eyes boring into the older Haru, “You did huh? And what pray tell, could you offer? That I can’t just take.” The grin widened as the monochrome Haru came around the table, his horns shifted with that black flame, the human stumbled back, “Oh Haru, you can’t do all this and tell me you’re afraid of the dark...”

The tone that mocked him had not been missed, the brown eyed man was in fact afraid, he was scared that the demon would rip away her soul, or go for their son, “I can offer you a way to walk among the mortals without being shunned.”

This gave the demon pause, a big grin came across his lips, “Oh... that is something I’m interested in... I can get it on my own, but how sweet it will be to watch you suffer.” He grabbed the arm of the human, “And let me guess, you are intending to offer your own body, for power so you can bring your Bex back.” He knew how Haru worked, he had been a piece shed after she had died after all, “I’ll take this deal, you will gain the power to steal her away from the hands of a death you caused, be it for good or ill, in exchange, during the daylight hours I will be allowed to take control of your body if I feel like it, after nightfall it is yours, so your precious son is safe.”

Haru had stopped listening after the promise that he would have the strength, a hand shot out to grip the hand of the demon, unaware yet how much damage this could do, how many lives this could destroy, “You have a deal.”

The grip of the hand saw the shadows as they faded out, a thin grey layer appeared momentarily over Haru’s skin, before it soaked in. The man fell against his table, a dull red glow in his eyes, before they faded back to brown, and he lost consciousness.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - Some Things Never Change

Post by Haru Jeong »

06/09/2021 - Mid-Afternoon

His room had been trashed, he had chosen to move, and as he had been packing a photo had slipped from an album. It had reminded the teenager of every second of his heartbreak, the fact she was gone would not change, he knew that, and as he had picked up the photo he felt the rage, he understood the truth, a hand whipping the album itself at a wall as a sob wracked his chest.

The boy had not stopped there, flames rippled across his skin as a couple more reminders had burned to ash, not the original photos, but every physical copy he had. His eyes took on a defeated look, as his heart ached and was broken.

That was what had led to him sob in a broken pile of half demon in a corner, that was what had led to the flinch when his best friend touched his shoulder, a friend he had never before shied away from. Broken apologies fell from his lips, some to Eun, some to Linna, all of them sounded defeated.

Eun quietly put out the flames, heterochromatic eyes staying on his friend as he just sat beside him, he let the demon initial contact again if he chose to, “I’m sorry, I don’t know how to help you…” he whispered helplessly, pain in his eyes, as he curled up beside his friend, “Haru I’m so sorry, I can’t imagine how you’re feeling…” His voice was quiet as he tried to offer comfort, nearly inaudible over the choked sobs of his friend.

Haru did not respond, did not lean into his friend, he just curled up tighter, even as Banjo came to headbutt him he refused to move, Eun instead gave the large cat attention, assured her that her person needed her, he just was not able to say it right now.

It took a bit but he left the two, the younger of the boys got up, he moved to quietly pack up boxes of books, neatly arranged them to fit snugly in the box. Every few moments Eun would glance over, eventually he caught a hand set on the head of the leopard which brought a small smile, before he turned back to packing the box for the older kid.

What caught Eun off guard, was when arms wrapped around his midsection from behind, they tightly squeezed as the (almost) 19 year old buried his face in his friends back, he whispered two muffled words, “Thank you.”

The older just remained where he was for a few minutes, his best friend continued to pack, before he moved to do some work, they found more old trinkets, and tucked them into a box labeled with a hazard symbol.
Mistakes In Time
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Meddlesome Fates

Post by Mistakes In Time »

Los Angeles, USA, Haru age 20, End of May, 2023, Alternate Timeline

One hand in his pocket, guidebook in the other, was an at the moment, very human young man. He was not always human, but Earth had always sapped his powers, every few days he had to take a trip back to make sure he stayed strong enough to survive.

This night however he found himself seated at a quaint little bar, middle of the day, brown eyes skimming a book as he learned about the area, his guitar case propped up beside him for the gig he had here in a few hours.

Music had proven to be profitable here, and was very much something he enjoyed. His voice, that of a demon, designed to lure folks in, had been a boon every time he went out in Rhy’din, his intent never malicious. Here it lacked the magic but maintained the tone, it entranced people in the sound, even if they lost interest after just a few songs.

Finals were going to be the death of her, Bex was certain of it. After entirely way too many hours spent in the books, she decided that the fact that she saw lines and music theory when she looked away from the papers meant that it was time for a break. She knew the perfect little hole that did not get too wild or too packed. The vibe was good, and sometimes they had live music.

Still entirely way too early for them to have much more than the very first of the barflies there already. Which was even more killer. She thought she may be able to have her drinks and scoot before the creeps started tonight. Even with that thought, there was still a warm smile on her face as she yanked the door open and slipped on inside.

Haru’s eyes ticked up to the young woman as she slipped in, a small look of confusion as something felt familiar, reminiscent of a tug at his soul. The sensation found itself ignored as the man relaxed, the seat beside him open, a small friendly smile shot to the unfamiliar face who triggered that familiar tug to all those spells cast years ago, before he went back to his book, there was no need to be a creep after all.

A drink was placed in front of him, “On the house.” The words from the tender were friendly as he sipped the milkshake, strawberry, with a double shot of vodka.

For a moment, her attention fluttered around the room, it did not really seem to focus on any one thing. For the most part, it was the same early faces, and the same tired pretty faces behind the bar. A lot of tired people, with big hopes and dreams. That was something she had discussed a few days ago with her mom in one of her check in calls.

She too was one of said tired people, who normally never paid much mind to anyone else there, but there was someone already seated at the bar, that paused her gaze as it wandered around the bar.

Bex really had no explanation for the skip of her heart, or that mild itch of De'javu that crept somewhere along the back of her mind. Or even the lack of better judgement that had her seated just a couple seats away from him.

He glanced over with a pleasant smile, the look of confusion hidden in his eyes, magic rarely worked in this realm, so the tug must have been just a side effect from his broken heart. Though that did not explain the deja vu, or the flicker of magic along his skin that should never have been there.

He greeted her more with an upnod now that she was close, chocolate brown eyes returned quickly to his book, he tried not to be rude, but made it clear he was open to conversation.

There was a moment of panic after he sent an upnod her way. What did that mean? Really she had not done much more than a few hot and heavy makeouts at parties in highschool. Just to spite her mother. She had never been a flirt, and was not great at attempts to make conversation with boys.

She opened her mouth, paused, closed it and cleared her throat a little before... "Uh. Hi." It was followed by a terribly awkward smile.

His heart skipped a beat at the awkwardness for a moment, before it was swallowed back stubbornly, “Hi.” His voice was calm and quiet, cheeks a tad pink at the girl who tried to get his attention, a little smile played across his lips even as he tried to fight it back. His heart was nowhere near healed after what had happened, so any attempt to flirt was a no go. He took a pause before he awkwardly dropped one of the worst lines he possibly could, “So ummm… come here often?”

He had actually spoke to her in response! There was a brief moment and look of the deer caught in the headlights while she attempted to swallow down her nerves. "Sometimes. For the live music and open mike night. Today because finals are kicking my ass." Her hands folded neatly on the bar before her, while her thumbs fiddled with one another in anxious energy. Already she could feel a phone call from her mother tomorrow. A reminder to not get distracted.

Haru smiled a little, before he shifted down a little closer and slid over a menu, “It’s um… my first time here and I was wondering what was good food wise.” He screamed at himself internally, as he tried to fight back the urge to flirt, as it never ended well for him. At the mention of live music he turned a little more pink and tried to pull attention away from the guitar slung over his shoulder, “What’re you studying?”

Distractions? Haru was good at those, he hoped.

"Ooh. Any of their sandwiches are killer. And so are the burgers. Bonus if there's extra bacon." A beat. "The chicken tenders aren't half bad either." She might have noted the guitar, but she was not going to be some crazy fan girl. She knew very well how to behave. "Music theory. And teaching. I sooo wanna inspire little minds."

Haru flipped through, “So this bacon cheeseburger, good choice?” He had trusted her with his meal, the guitar thankfully ignored for the moment, the tender watching the pair with a little smile. He stared for a minute after she spoke of her major, before back down at the menu, brown eyes filled slightly with wonder, “You’ll do good, we um, just met, but from what I can see, it suits you.”

"Oh yes. Definitely. With their special burger sauce." An enthusiastic nod followed her words. And then he said her major fit her. There was a smile and a touch of a blush that found her cheeks. "Think so? I sure hope so. Moved across the country to be here. Though, small blessing in disguise." A heavy sigh was huffed. She loved her mother, honest. "What about you? Or is your guitar just for show?"

Haru looked curious about her remark about the blessing in disguise, before he put in the order for food and turned so his body was towards her. He may have noticed that blush though as of yet would not speak on it, that was not his goal after all, “Yea, I do, you seem friendly and approachable, a key part in being a teacher.” The demon had learned enough about people to be able to tell that much.

At her question he thought for a moment, “I’ve been doing gig work since I was fourteen, though honestly, back in my hometown, I have a cute little cat cafe and rescue, that is what I’m rather fond of doing, making sure those little buggers find a home, or at least a place they can feel loved and safe for the rest of their days.”

"Friendly and approachable are two very good things to be, in general, but especially when working with kids. Patience too. I'm kinda excited. Fall semester I start student teaching." There was joy there in her features, and it was obvious that she was going for what she was passionate about.

At his mention of how long he had been doing g gig work, her eyes widened a touch. "I look forward to hearing you play tonight then. " Then he mentioned having a cat Cafe and rescue, and just that he wanted them to find good homes, and oh goodness he was adorable talking about it. "A cat cafe- oh man. You have to at least share pictures of some of the cuties. Or your own. You can't have a rescue and like, not have cats, right?”

He watched her expression, before he reached for his phone, his cheeks very pink at the comment about his music. He began to flip through the photos, moving past all the ones with the less human clientele, “Of course I have photos,” He scrolled through a few, quickly made a mostly earth safe album and handed her the phone, pictures of the cafe and various kittens, no inhuman people in the shots, but a there was a golden leopard who appeared in the background of a few, “My name is Haru by the way.”

She waited rather patiently as he flipped through and got pictures together for her to flip through. He passed the phone, and eagerly, she took it from him, and started to flip through them. Really, they were all so cute, he can not blame the delighted and amused noises she made with each new cat. "Some day, I'm going to get a cat all my own. Till then, I'll live through other's pictures."

There was a beat when he offered his name, before it clicked that she should respond with her own. That was the normal thing. "I'm Rebakah. But Bex is shorter."

His cheeks pinkened as he watched her go through the album, “It’s really nice to meet you Bex,” She had given the nickname, so he would use it unless she asked him not to. His face broke into a big smile at the happy sounds upon seeing the cat photos, “Lots need homes, no matter what city you’re in, I can probably give you the number for a few shelters.” He made the offer, “Or I can get more pictures for if we find ourselves here again.” He would not be bold enough to assume he would get her number, but he enjoyed the sight of happy cats and people, the happy reactions and adoptions, that was why he did it.

"It's been good to meet you too, Haru. Really. I needed to do something other than studying for once, and I'm glad I came here." Her smile was warm, even as she finished up with his collection of pictures, and offered the phone back his way. "I can't right now, not in the dorms, or with roommates, but when I graduate, and get a place of my own, for sure. Until then, more pictures for next time would be awesome. I'll live vicariously through you and your cats, and suffice." She grinned at him with that voiced.

The young man made a note to take more Earth safe photos as she handed back the phone. He pulled out a business card, cheeks still pink, “This may be easier,” His cheeks darkened slightly as he slid it over, he was not good at this, and he knew it, “I’m glad I can be a good change,” his smile was light and gentle, “Maybe I’ll bring the cats out with me next time, on leashes of course, and pictures for sure.” He stuttered slightly at the offer, unsure why he had made it.

She took the offered business card, and looked it over, her own cheeks darkened a touch. "Yeah, easier for sure." She took a moment to take it and tuck it away somewhere safe in her wallet. Her eyes lit up a touch at the offer to bring a cat next time. "Oh, that would be darling. I'd love to meet one. And it encourages me to not fry my brain with studying."

He watched her eyes light up, his eyes sparkled a little, “Can’t bring the big one, she’s got a whole lot of special permits and rules regarding where she can be,” it was half true, the leopard could never leave Rhy’din, “But I can bring out Artyom and the Count.” As he beamed excitedly, he tried to maybe unintentionally make sure he would see Bex again, “Should we um… make a day of it? Coffee maybe? Give you another break from studying so you don’t blow a fuse?” There was hope there, and it was adorable.

The bartender leaned over the counter, “Hey, Jeong, you’re up soon, or should we cancel your set so you can keep flirting?”

"Oh, I can't wait to meet them. Are they super soft? What about their beans?" She turned to a bit of squish when she talked about cats with him. She was in so much trouble and she would never admit it. When he casually offered to make a day of it, she did not quite understand the flutter of excitement in her stomach, but it was there. "Absolutely!" This came enthusiastically. A little too eager.... And only to be followed by the bartender's words?

She turned bright red, and dipped her head. "I'msorryifI'mkeepingyou." The words were all rushed out in a breath.

Haru’s own face flushed at the comment, “You aren’t keeping me at all, I wouldn’t have given you my number if I wasn’t enjoying our conversation,” he sputtered a bit, “Though I should prep for my set, if um… you wanna stay and listen for a bit?”

There was another pause, “Artyomissuoersoft, CountCatulaisaMaineCoonesohe’ssuperfluffy.” It seemed he was trying to distract a little, “And you’ll see their beans, they’re precious.”

A moment passed, cheeks pink, before Haru grabbed a couple shot glasses and upended them into his mouth before he made his way to the stage, he pulled out a deep maroon guitar with the initials YJ carved into the wood, adjusted the mic, getting the stool adjusted, as he got comfy and ready.

Her blush did not fade. Thanks bartender dude. Though, Haru’s words helped reassure her a bit that she was not being much of a bother. She was positive too, it had been years since she had actually taken a boys number. She was so getting a call from her mother in the morning. "I'd love to listen, especially if your playing is as enjoyable as your conversation." The words warmly spoken.

"I really can't wait to meet them. Honest. I'll live vicariously through you for cats." That was mused before he headed off towards the stage, liquid courage and nerves clearly encouraged him. She took a moment to turn and order a shot for herself.

Those shots were even more required now, his face had turned a deeper crimson yet if possible at the compliment. It had been a while since he had given his number with any amount of interest behind the action, even though he would likely never make any more moves on it.

He shifted on the stool, shot her a smile, brown eyes warm and gentle as he made sure everything was operational, he baffled the sound guy as he changed a bunch of settings on a brand new machine.

“You know, I’ve seen him around the city a fair bit, he doesn’t open up to anyone.” The tender mused slightly at Bex, “Someone hurt him, bad, and yet you managed to break down those walls in moments.” He watched for the blush certain to cross her face, “You two could have a beautiful friendship, or more, as long as it keeps up like this, and as long as this isn’t just first meeting chemistry.” The man clearly knew something they did not, his own brown eyes watched the young man, familiar features that would be forgotten almost immediately after they were out of sight made up his face, before he scampered off to make more drinks.

Haru’s song was about freedom, about leaving behind the past, trusting the road, pedal to the metal, and being free. His voice was catching the attention of the other patrons, and the room was going quiet as they listened, mesmerized.

He smiled at Her of all the people there once upstage. She had not missed that, and readily smiled back. Her attention was snatched away from him when the bartender spoke, and her own warm brown eyes found him instead. Haru did not open up to anyone? She was surprised. Despite the mild awkwardness, they had found easy conversation. A blush, as expected lit up her cheeks, and she ducked her head.

"Hah- I-ah. I dunno. We just talked. I can see us being friends. Uh. I gotta focus on school though. So I dunno about a relationship. Plus." There was a moment of pause, then she wagged a finger his way. 'We just met." Then she plucked up her shot, and downed it in one swift go.

Whatever other lecture she was about to give him died off when Haru actually started to sing. His voice was good, and the song he sang called to a part of her heart she kept squelched down. She intended fully, to stay for his whole set.

“Girly, you said relationship, not me.” The bartender sassed as he served more drinks, he may have meant relationship, but he had chosen words carefully, kept his meddling to just enough so the council could not do anything, he had centuries of experience after all.

Haru smiled at her from his spot, he played through each verse, each chorus, the guitar played with a well practiced hand. His walls had been broken, in minutes, his heartbreak and betrayal had been forgotten as the woman had joined him to talk, he did not want love, or romance, but she had approached him as a friend, and that was more than enough, right?

The way she did not respond to the bartender, says she definitely, could not hear him over the music. The way she blushes darker said she most definitely did. Her brain was in several different places, along with the quiet voice that nagged that her mother, eventually, would find out, and freak out, even if they solely had a friendship. Even still, she was willing to put up with her lectures the few times she will to let said friendship foster itself. Plus, her mother would not know anything unless she said anything, so... Going to college a thousand something miles away from her parents was done for that exact reason.

She for now, was going to enjoy the welcomed distraction that came when she was in need of it.

The tender just watched amused, his eyes drifted happily up to the young man on stage with an expression of someone who knew to much, before he went back to his work.

Haru worked his way through his set, a hand hovered over the last page before he closed it, the end left unplayed as he left his seat and took a bow. He stepped towards the edge of the stage, his hand tight on the neck of the guitar, before he slipped back to the bar. He tossed the book into the trash beside where he had been with a little smile, “What did ya think?” He asked softly, a sadness back in his voice, a look around the quiet bar, only a handful of patrons had entered, a sigh of relief on his lips as the stage fright left his form, it seemed he was good at fake confidence.

Bex sat the whole entire time he played and listened, entranced in the life he breathed into the music. She knew why he had been booked here, for sure. The Owner always had an eye for raw talent. "You're pretty darned amazing. I could probably listen to you sing all night long, honest." She paused, and blushed lightly. "I definitely wouldn't mind listening to you play again."

She also noted the sadness, and wanted to ask, to brush it away from his features, chase it from his voice. The only thing that stops her is that she had only just met him.

His eyes lit up, “Then um, maybe I’ll pop in on the next open mic night… If you don’t text me sooner.” The offer was open, “I’m glad you enjoyed it, people usually don’t come up to the singers after for whatever reason, so I end up drinking alone.” It may be that sadness, or the part of him that was closed off still to most. The sadness had immediately begun to fade at her compliments, his back straightened as he preened a bit.

There was a part of him that wanted to let her take his sadness, to let the meddlesome fates or whatever they were have their way with his emotions, to let him dream, but the part of him screamed out about suddenness, about whatever this was being a rebound triggered by attention, so he denied their whims.

"Yeah? I was planning on coming for open mic night anyways. I uh. I play sometimes for that." Her smile was still present. She found it hard to not smile at him. "Yeah? Drinking alone generally is never fun." A pause. "Is that an invitation to continue to hog up your time and probably have regrets in the morning about alcohol like a proper college student?" Up went her brows with her question.

Bex herself, was clueless to the Fates being meddlesome, or the strings that were being pulled and played behind the scenes. She only knows of the strings her mother enjoyed playing with. And for a moment, she knew her mother would have an aneurysm if she knew Bex was drinking when she should have been studying.

That smile was returned warmly, “I look forward to hearing you play.” Haru waved to the tender, “Another round on me please,” His voice was gentle as he answered her question, “It isn’t fun, and I wouldn’t say no to good company.” There’s a smile, “I’d offer my couch to sleep it off but I don’t wanna come off as creepy,” his cheeks turned red, “Just rather know my drinking buddy made it home safe.”

Haru smiled, unaware of her mothers antics, “Though if the dorms get to loud, I can probably find you a quiet place to study in the morning?”

"Piano. Sometimes I sing too. Just depends on how I'm feeling that day." It sounded like they had a plan for the next open Mic night. Definitely was not a date. They had only just met. "Good thing is you can always walk me back to my dorm. It's not far. I did walk here. " But yeah. Her cheeks were all sorts of pink again.

Then she pointed at him. "That. That would be absolutely perfect. All the slack offs are already partying and just being general pains. A quiet place to study would be a dream. I will take you up on that offer for sure."

Haru smiled, payed for their drinks, the two fell into a comfortable conversation until the wee hours of morning, the tender escorted them out, his amused voice told them to get a room. Instead, the young man escorted the young lady that fate pushed him towards home to await a call from her neurotic mother.

((Special Thanks to Bex for collabing on this scene and everything yet to come!!))
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

The Past Always Catches Up (18+ Content Warnings Within)

Post by Haru Jeong »

((OOC Note : This story is very heavy on triggers, there are allusions to self harm, suicidal thoughts, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, mental illness and other associated traumas.))

June, 23rd, 2021

Haru had not responded to a single one of her texts today. Given what she knew he was dealing with at the moment, and how he got when like this, she was worried, and rightfully so. It was with her last ignored text that she put Lily down, and asked Siobhan to keep an ear out. Then she set out, and thought of the nastiest seediest bars she knew of... and started there. She scoured the streets, and all the favorite places she knew of Haru's that he liked when he was down. Seedy bars, alleyways that made her skin crawl. Anywhere, and everywhere. She texted and called the few people that may know where he was, to no luck.

It was when she was wandering into her fifth different seedy bar, under the name 'The Silken Mermaid', tired, and just about done with the types that wanted to play games or expect favors of information she damned well knew they did not have. She did not have any higher hopes for this place, than she had any of the others, but there she was, stood just inside the door, eyes narrowed at the people there. Mostly drunken sailors, and lusty ladies of the night.

Mostly it was what she expected, however sat at one of the tables, counting bills and speaking to a lady whose profession was clear, was the fae’s quarry, yet unaware of his sister who lurked in the doorway, he reeked of alcohol, the look in his eyes spoke of additional intoxicants in his system, “We discussed what I want, and you’re able to provide it?” His voice was quiet, cold, as if not shopping for sex but for a hitman.

The lady stared at the cash, then up at the young man, a wicked grin on her lips, “I can hook you up with more drugs if you really wanna forget, though you know it won’t last, as well as my previous offer~” The look she gave him almost predatory, a hand drifted across to touch his face.

The young man briefly flinched at the contact, “I think I can make that happen…”

There was a moment or two, before her eyes finally landed on the target she had been on the hunt for all night. Haru. Alive and whole, but most definitely checked out, and he looked like he was very much on a bender, and intent on more. There was a moment before a frown furrowed her brow. Well. That explained wholly as to why he had not answered her texts. Part of her half assumed his phone was probably very dead or off.

She stood there for a moment, and it was not until she heard the door behind her open again, that she surged forward, and stalked her way towards her prey. She approached quietly, and fixed the woman he was talking to, with an unpleasant stare. "Hey. Whatever he's buyin', I'll double it fer ya ta not give it ta 'em, n'scoot along on yer way, Miss." Ever so casually spoken as her attention bounced towards her brother.

Her brother froze at the voice, money in hand as instead the woman just scampered off, the words, “Probably a minor.” To the others eyeing up the bar for prospective clientele, they knew better than to get involved in that.

There was a growl from the teen as he looked back at his sister with bloodshot eyes, “What happened to sometimes needing a fuck n’ cuddle with no strings attached,” His voice cold as he glared at her, as he used her own words, “The fuck you want?”

Well. At least the ladies were smart enough to realize that was a bad thing to do. She can appreciate that. "When I told ya ta do that I didn't mean fer ya ta be outta yer mind on drugs n'booze, n'goin' fer a lady a the night inna dive bar. Really, ya don't want any of the Rhy'din STDs, harder ta get ridda from what I hear." Then she squinted at him.

"The fuck I want? Well A fuckin' text at least woulda been nice. I wouldn't be here, harshin' yer bender if ya had at least done that. But now I'm here, and ya gotta suck it the fuck up, cock block n'all."

Haru snarled at his sister, “Yea and who the fuck asked you to meddle!?” He got out of his chair, “I am a goddamn adult, not a child like half of fucking Rhy’din seems to think I am!” he turned to face her, his fire out still, somehow, likely thanks to whatever he had taken, “I never asked for your help! I never asked you to fucking cling to me, fuck off! I don’t want you here!” He stared at her, body shaking, “You weren’t supposed to fucking find me.” He snapped, his mind not yet realizing she had not spoken again.

"Then stop fuckin' acting like a goddamned child when things don't work out yer way, Haru. Be a fuckin' adult like ya want people ta so desperately perceive ya as." She hissed the words at him, a scowl bled across her own features. She had already decked his older counterpart this week. She would fucking deck him too. She looked like it was something being seriously considered, before he started spitting words at her again. Words... that by the brief look that crossed her features, hit a nerve somewhere deep.

"Ya can't just call yerself my lil' brother, develop that relationship with me, then tell me ya never fuckin' asked fer me ta care. Because that's bullshit, Haru. I get ta care. Yer part of my life, yer part of my fuckin' daughter's life, and I love ya way too god damned much ta not fuckin' care. Ya don't want me here, but I'm fuckin' 'ere n'm'not gunna letcha spiral yerself inta the ground or fuckin' die of a goddamned overdose." He shook, and she was absolutely still, calm in her body language for the most part. Being angry back at this exact moment would not be good.

“Why? It’s not like as far as any of you are concerned I am anything more than a brat who needs pity and protection.” His words were spat, full of venom, “You know what I do, where I come from and you seem to think I can’t handle myself, thanks for the vote of confidence sister.” There was a slightly look of pain that flickered through his eyes at the look on her face before he continued, “I said I never asked you to fucking cling.” There was a pause her next sentence made its way sluggishly through his drug addled brain, “You know as much as I may want that it can’t happen, stupid body won’t let me die, so I may as well just not fuckling feel.” He snarled further at her, before he moved to pass her towards the door.

"Yer my fuckin' brother Haru. Yer late nights and good conversations, warmth, and someone I can always depend on. Someone I love with every fuckin' fiber of my being. Yer a shoulder ta cry on, n'someone I'd rip the whole faerie courts apart fer. Yer hardheaded and stubborn, but so the fuck am I." There's a pause when he spat the word sister at her. Like the past year or so had not meant much of anything to him at all. Like he had not become so ingrained in her daily life that he would be another giant hole in her heart should anything ever happen to him.

"It's too fuckin' bad. Ya didn't, but I am. I don't have much family at all, so ya bet yer sweet ass I'm going ta fuckin' cling as hard as I can." He moved to pass her, and she planted herself directly in his path, and stared him down. "Yer problems are still gunna be there tomorrow. Drugs and booze do shit fer ya, Trust me Haru. I've been usin' them fer a very long time ta make life bearable. It's not healthy fer ya. This, ya right now, yer not good, and yer either gunna kill someone else, or hurt yerself if ya keep goin' like this.”

He glared, stared straight into her gaze, no move to defend or validate what he would do for her in his altered state, “I won’t feel my problems tomorrow if I do enough, ever think hurting myself might be the fucking point? Dull the pain and memories, make the blood on my hand just red fucking paint?”

"It's not good. For you. It's an endless cycle. I was doin' it fer way too many years ta drown out my own hurt, my own anger. Ta feel somethin' other than what Zagan made me feel. It's not a good road ta go down. N'm'not gunna just stand by and watch as ya do it ta yerself." She went quiet of the mention of blood on the hands, and making it look like paint. "Nothin' will ever make it look like just paint. Yer chasin' unhealthy things."

“And what can you do about it?” his voice was cold, “Tell me how you really think you can stop me, you weren’t responsible for dozens of deaths trying to protect someone doomed to die by the system anyway.” His wrist flicked and a knife found his hands, he barely spared it a glance before he threw it at another patron, chosen at random, “What are gonna do about trying to protect a monster?”

"Obviously yer at the point where it's time ta drag yer sorry ass. Goin' is no longer a voluntary thing." Then she snapped her teeth in frustration. "Emily. Amelia. Marianne. Jessica. Nu'tia. I've got at least five more ladies I failed that--'' Her words cut short when she saw Haru move suddenly, then the glint of metal as the blade caught lowlight as it sailed through the air... Roni did not think, did not hesitate, she just kind of flung herself at him, and aimed to get her hands in contact with any part of him that was uncovered skin. The Yelp and startled noises behind them said that he probably hit whoever he flung the knife at.

The boy hit the floor with a thud, his reflexes not enough with the drugs and alcohol in his system to stop his sister from forcing him to the floor as his blade hit his target, hands on his wrists, the boy staring up at his sister in fear, as if he instantly regretted what he had done, but could no longer fix it. His vision began to fade., not enough to knock him out, but it was enough to stop his urge to fight.

Roni never used her abilities on anyone that either was not a target, or someone who had given her permission to. So part of her felt oh so very wrong for using her ability to make others sleep without consent, but Haru was at the point of unhinged, and she would be fucked if she was going to let him lash out and hurt anyone else. "I'm sorry." She let the words fall on a whisper, while she struggled not to let her brain run off with things and leave her in an anxiety hole.

"I have ta do this. Ya can be as pissed at me fer however long ya gotta, but I do it outta love, n'cuz I love ya, even if ya didn't ask me ta." His fight started to fade, and she waited till it seemed like he was not fading anymore, before she nudged just a little more. Just to knock him out, and keep him that way for a little bit. "M'so so so sorry Haru, but I can't let ya hurt anyone else." There was a break in her voice, a shake and waver that was not there before. The faerie looked like she was about to burst into tears.

Haru whimpered slightly as sleep began to overtake him, eyes drifted closed finally, a quiet sob shook through him as he balled a hand up in Roni’s shirt in a moment of clarity, “I’m… sor…” the rest of the words lost as the boy lost consciousness, brown eyes closed, his grip never loosened from the fabric of her shirt.

There was a bit of relief when he was finally knocked out, and a look towards the injured person to see that they were already being tended to.. Rhy'din's full of healers at least. It was with that, that she pulled free one of the various snap spells she carried with her. One for teleportation. She reached out to catch his shoulder with one hand to get a solid grasp on him. It was with the gates of the Asylum in mind that she snapped it, and in a shimmer and shake of existence where they were, seconds later, the space they had occupied was empty.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Visit Through Dreams.

Post by Haru Jeong »

Somewhere in the dreamscape
July, 1st, 2021

A young boy was sat on a park bench, he appeared only five or six, red eyes watched the broken world float past him as he kicked his feet to an inaudible rhythm on the bench. His hair was white, his horns swooped back away from his face, tail swayed to the beat of that unheard song. In his arms was a white tiger cub, held like a teddy bear to his chest, biscuits being made in the air, a rumbling purr resounded around them.

The world was a reflection of his mind, broken and shattered, memories took steps past him as he watched, a raven-haired man, walking with a platinum blonde young lady before they crumbled to mirror shards before the boy, his own broken expression reflected at him. In this place buildings and places that had been safe in ruins, faces he thought were forever stared at him with malice, malice he did not respond to, instead, he just sat, he let the world take its shots.

An older man, features indistinguishable from his current view, leaned on the bench behind him, a pair of hands tried to cover the boys’ ears, somehow they never quite made contact, “Haru…” the name was spoken softly, “Come on, let yourself sleep, let yourself rest, you are safe…” he looked up and around, his attempt to comfort interrupted as he felt something, “Someone is coming who will help you…” the hand finally made contact, as if allowed, child’s hair being ruffled, “You’ll be ok, I promise.”

The figure who stepped through the mirror shards was familiar, his face the same shape as the boy’s, brown eyes echoed how the boy had looked as a human, raven hair tied up in a ponytail. His smile was warm, gentle, even as he slid into the bench beside the boy. His face showed concern, his eyes watched the broken world around them continuously remind the child of the mistakes he had made, and those he had hurt. The broken-down Rhy’din, this single pristine bench reflected the state of his mind, the boy in the form of the very monstrous, demonic child, dead eyes unable to focus.

The man stared at his son before just he just leaned back, “People leave Haru, people mistakes, you are doing, and have done, what you had to, you didn’t do any of it for you, and you regret every second, I know you do, look at this place.”

As he spoke, the mirror shards showed another scene, the boy, as a young teen, behind a person whose features were blurred, he quickly slit their throat, before both images shattered to the ground in shards of glass the as the victim would have fallen, “I didn’t have to though, Eun was already going to die, all I did was prolong his suffering.” His feet kicked, a mirror-shard boy forced into a circle of people, money changing hands now in front of him as the younger teen was forced to fight, “I didn’t know, I thought the future could only get better, and it did, finally, but… I dunno… was the cost worth it?” His voice was quiet, red eyes turned up towards his father, a deep-seated plea deep in them.

The older man ruffled his boy’s hair, “Only you can choose if it was worth it, but, even if it wasn’t, you can’t take it back, no matter how much you want to, so don’t let that cost be paid in vain, make the most of it, have fun, live your life, and most of all, if you feel guilty, work to make sure it can’t happen again, which you’ve been doing from what I can see.” His words were spoken as he wrapped an arm around his son and held him close, “I’m proud of you, I know your Mom is, I know your chosen family is, keep doing what you’re doing, keep doing your best, you’ll never disappoint us.”

Haru looked up at Jun Sr. eyes full of doubt, “What about when-”

Haru’s words were abruptly cut off by his father, “If they can’t accept your past they aren’t family, but something tells me they can, they can accept your mistakes, as long as you are willing to acknowledge it. Stop being so scared to hold onto family, it may be hard, it may take time, but you can do it.” He let go of the hug before he rose and moved to step away.

Haru leaped from the bench and grabbed the back of his father’s shirt, “Don’t go!” The words were cried out as his father stopped, a second hand reached up to grab his shirt, “Please!” He begged, he missed his father, he missed having that trust, that security, even if he really couldn’t remember it, even if he could have that in others, he did not know how, he was scared.

Jun turned, a hand rested on the child Haru’s head, “I gotta, you know that,” He pulled those fingers out of the fabric, “Besides, you got the rest of your family waiting back home to wish you a happy birthday.” His smile was warm, his hand moved as the imagery shifted, the boy reflected in the shards as he was now, nineteen years old, and far more human than he regularly appeared, “You’ve grown up, and I am proud of you, I really am, and as much as I wish I could be there, I can’t, you know that.”

The man stepped away again, Haru watched, his hand lifted in a weak wave just before the man turned for the last time, a warm smile, hand up in a returned wave before he was gone. Haru turned and the vision of a woman with open arms appeared, shadowed by the glow of her wings that shimmered like the red to yellow feathers were made of fire. He stepped towards her and found himself wrapped in her warmth, set to awaken again in his own bed.

~~~~

Jun looked to the man that had sent him to see his son, the image shifted, features constantly changed so his identity could not be known, “Will he be ok?” His voice was quiet, as he looked back at the bench where he had found his son, “He… he needs something, a win, proof, security, something.”

The Watcher watched the boy get swallowed up by the flames, “Trust me, he has what he needs, they’ll take care of him, she’s his Mom, far more so than Yeona, he will never forget you, you always will have a home in his heart, but they are his second chance, they are-”

Jun stopped him and shook his head, “You don’t need to explain it, I’m just glad he has the support he needs, even if he isn’t finding it in us, he has hope in the future, even if it’s not what he expected, he’ll be ok as long as he has that, thanks for letting me see him, giving him a better last memory, give him something else to remember.” The man turned and stepped away, “Time to actually see what the afterlife holds, don’t be afraid to pull me back if he does need me, ok?” There was a look of someone who knew exactly what was going on, “And stop meddling directly, he will find a way to punch you.”

The Watcher sighed and watched as the man walked away before he vanished, both back to their relative homes.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - Acceptance

Post by Haru Jeong »

07/07/2021

Haru woke up slowly, snuggled up against another warm figure. His eyes cracked open before he tried to slip out of bed, he located his clothes in an attempt to not face her this morning. He did not want to deal with the awkwardness of whether he should cook, she had his number if she wanted to talk, he hoped she did not.

He slipped carefully from the room, the door closed silently behind him, before down to the kitchen, where he prepared coffee, he left a note so all she had to do was press start when she got up. He did not make himself a mug, instead, he slipped out into the sun, leaned up against a wall, and stared at the sky.

A tear rolled down his face, followed by more as he slunk down into the grass, knees to his chest, both ashamed and heartbroken. He knew he had nothing to be ashamed of, yet every moment he felt like he had betrayed the one he loved, even if she did not love him. He accepted it. He accepted it was unrequited, he was trying to drown out the noise her absence left.

Eventually, he moved, movement within the house he had left snapped him from his spot, a quick movement was made, the young man darted home and away from the woman who could judge the tears that had rolled down his face.

At home he was simply greeted by the non-judgemental stares of the animals, it struck as a reminder, and he had enough of those. His glamour fell, the burned remains of tattoos scarred over as he had tried to just forget, to let his fire do what it would, to burn away the evidence of the love he felt. He wanted to forget, but it was part of who he was. He could take the feeling of abandonment away, he could take all his memories if it got too much again… he could start over…

But he could not, his family and friends relied on him. Already if they saw what was truly under the glamour they would know they could not count on him, and he could not have that. Haru looked to the mirror across the hall, stared at his unglamored face. He peeled out of his shirt and traced each scar, each poorly healed burn as he finally acknowledged himself. Tears hit the floor, he understood he could never really be himself again, no matter how much he wished it, not who he was, a part of him would forever be shaped by his pain.

He needed a healer, he knew one he could call, though that one may judge what he had done, may blame him… or maybe they would not, maybe they would understand, maybe they would just hear out the kid and let him fight, let him express his anger and cry… his hands drifted across the burns down both arms, and he reached for the phone, he had to make the call.
Haru Jeong
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Drabbles - Desperation

Post by Haru Jeong »

The estate should have been quiet, but it was not in this moment, there were two figures in combat in the ring, knives out, dressed in workout clothes, both held twin daggers. The young man’s breath was far heavier, blood dripped from his side, the older woman seemed unharmed, “You want control Haru? Start here.” The damage would not last in the rings, they both knew that just as they knew his desperation to stay as he was.

He settled back into a ready stance, “I didn’t think control involved stabbing me...” he mumbled to himself, firmly under the belief he would not be heard.

“Gotta give you stakes,” A beat, “Again!” Once more, knives flew, flames flickered from both figures in the ring, the fire rippled down the knives, across their demonic features, the relation between the two clear.

Haru charged at his mother, her own shadows rippled around her before she vanished, “Use your powers, get close to the limit but don’t pass it, you need to know how the limit feels.” Was she being harsh? Perhaps, but they both knew the stakes here, “We can find a healer after.” Her voice turned gentle in contrast, “You’ll be ok.”

He whipped around, his own shadows lashed out to grab his mother’s wrists, “I don’t need the limit,” his breath was heavy, “I don’t need the power that’s being forced on me, I am strong enough to protect those I care about, I’ll be fine.” He wiped the blood from his lips, the wound from the previous attack a deep one to his gut, “I just need to be able to combat the demons who will try to push me.”

She shook her head, eyes turning black as coals, her own barbed tail swayed, “14 years Haru, that’s how long I’ve had to master this, and I’m not living on borrowed time, reducing stress is a good start, but you need control, your powers will manifest whether you like it or not, you are royalty until we can break the contract, release you from this, you need the control.” Her wings flared out behind her, “You can do this too, you’ve done it before, you told me about what made you really fall into this life.”

He growled, a shadow launched him up into the air as she took off, he bounced shadow to shadow, he took attacks, swipes she avoided, “I don’t have 14 years to figure it out if I can be strong enough to-“

“There’s always someone stronger, stop stoking your ego.” Her voice was firm, a shadow slammed him back down to the earth before the usually soft and maternal woman landed, “Is this what your fathers and my absence made you? Would he be proud of how you’re running?”

Haru froze, on his hands and knees, “I don’t know... you know that I have no way of knowing, he’s dead. You know that as well as I do.”

Something in those words stopped the woman, before she moved again, “Faster! You won’t always have time to cast, and you know eventually they’ll try to force you to turn.” Shadow rippled down again and hit Haru in the back with a tell-tale crack.

Her demeanor immediately changed as her son hit the ground, where before she had been focused on his request, getting him ready, now her eyes filled with tears, “Haru!” She cried out, wings retracted as she ran towards him, “Hells Haru I’m so sorry...” her phone was fumbled in her hands as she forgot for the moment about the wards.

His own hand reached up weakly and stopped her, “I think we’re done for the day.” He spoke quietly, as he pulled himself up, the wards did their work, “You ok mom?” Worried more about her as his own body repaired itself in the ring, “Dinner?” He tried to change the topic, to distract her.

Yeona wrapped her arms around her boy, “I’m so sorry Haru...” she whimpered, his smallish frame just held tightly to her chest, “I’m so sorry...”

Return to “Born of Flames”