Tip Top Ten: Standard Issue, Volume 1

A place for broadcasting networks, social media, news outlets, blogs, gossip articles, radio, podcasts etc. A shared folder open to all players.

Moderator: Staff

Tippletoe
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Cheer Captain

Tip Top Ten: Standard Issue, Volume 1

Post by Tippletoe »

Volume 1
Standard Issue 1

Tip Top Ten
EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Archwitch Mallory Maeda
By Tippletoe Timbers

Full Page Photo: Tippletoe Timbers and Mallory Maeda are sharing a meal at Rakuen Ramen near the Sunny Mart in Kabuki Street. Tippletoe has an old fashioned tape recorder out on the table. Mallory is dressed in a comfortable maxi dress and her favorite leather jacket, looking up from her noodles to wave her chopsticks at the camera.

For our first standard issue of the Tip Top Ten periodical, we interviewed Archwitch Mallory Maeda of the Flaming Everclear!! Mallory co-owns the Lyceum, teaches history at the Kabuki Street Community School, tells fortunes at the Golden Perch Inn, and is an active dueler in the Arena, Outback, and on Twilight Isle. Read on to find out how she balances a busy schedule, becoming the Triple Crown, why she’s in the Top 100 Rhy’din Fashionista, and the meaning of Family.

Question 1: Staying Balanced

TT: You’re a busy lady with her fingers in lots of pies! Dueling, teaching history at the Kabuki Street Community School, the Lyceum –and soon to be motherhood! How do you manage it all?

MM: At first? Not well! I tried to give everything my full attention. By the time I was Baroness of Cadentia, a normal work week for me was sixty hours. Sometimes eighty!

But I learned my limits. I let myself work on something any day of the week, but I put a strict cap on how many hours a day I can work on anything. I invest in the work that’s important to me, and I delegate or step back from what I can’t do.

Motherhood will change a lot. I can’t say how much will change until I get there. But I’ll be going on maternity leave, and we’ve found a wonderful substitute teacher for my KSCS classes, and the Lyceum will be in good hands with the co-owner, Safiya al-Bahur.

Question 2: Being a Witch

TT: Speaking of the Lyceum, you’re known throughout the city, and beyond, as a witch. Can you tell us a bit about your journey into the magical arts?

MM: Certainly. I was self-taught. I discovered at a young age that focus and intent, even a children’s rhyme and wanting something specific to happen, could manifest as spells. From there I strived to learn whatever I could, wherever I could. I learned Greek and Latin at school and continued my study of ancient languages on my own time. I took notes about everything I learned, and had filled a spellbook with scavenged cantrips and hedge magic by the time I was living on my own.

I never stopped. I still haven’t. By the time I started dueling in the rings, I had found my knack for blood magic, which you should never try without an experienced blood mage. But it simplified the price of casting.

From there I’ve expanded my knowledge of spells into alchemy, enchanting, demiplanar work, and constructs, and I’ve been fortunate to have gained access to a few of the Isle’s extensive Tower libraries.

TT: What recommendations would you give to someone who is interested in pursuing magic?

MM: Magic is a world of possibility, but shouldn’t be taken lightly. Do your research, explore your options carefully, and remember that no spell is truly cast for free. Find an experienced caster you can trust or enroll in a class — and if you have any questions, drop by the Lyceum and we can find what you need!

Question 3: Archmage of Twilight Isle
Insert Photo: A candid shot taken just after the Archmage challenge on March 16th. Mallory Maeda is tearing up as she looks upon Starglass, her glass-like star-reflecting construct. Starglass is beaming back at her proudly.

TT: Last week you defended your role as the 70th Archmage and Keeper of the Citadel of Stars. How did you prepare for your defense against Mairead Harker?

MM: I prepared carefully, went over my spells and adapted how to channel through constructs to the quintessence of the Citadel, decided how I’d attack and counter through my celestial construct, Starglass...

...and then they stepped into the ring and decided to express themself through the power of dance. Sometimes all you can do is adapt on the fly!

TT: Do you have a favourite dance move from Starglass on the night of your defense?

MM: The Disco Inferno, but don’t tell them.

Question 4: Triple Crown

TT: Archmage is the most recent Top Title you’ve received in the dueling sports. You’ve been Overlord of the Arena, and Diamond of the Outback. Tell us a bit about your journey to becoming the 11th Triple Crown?

MM: I’ve been challenging for titles in both Magic and Swords since soon after I started dueling, but it wasn’t until last year that I pressed a challenge in Fists. PathFinder’s previous holder, Runt, didn’t like the side effects of the Opal — animals kept flocking to him! So I helped him organize a Rautakinnas, a kind of challenge gauntlet, and joined the queue. I managed to win, and that was my introduction to the title game in Fists!

I entered the Diamond Quest soon after, and when I became Diamond? I knew I should try for Archmage soon. At that point, the Triple Crown became something I wanted to chase.

And now, here we are!

Question 5: Favourite Sport

TT: So now that you've experienced, or should I say mastered, all three sports, do you have a favourite? If so, which one and why?

MM: I don’t. And that’s the beauty of it. I have temporary favorites that change over time, and different things I can do in the different sports... but where they’re all the same? Getting into the ring to try to do something surprising, outfox your opponent, and have a good time.

Question 6: March Madness
Insert Photo: Mallory Maeda shooting at Jaycy Ashleana with a large blue Nerf gun, appearing almost like a Gatling gun, in a ring filled with styrofoam towers, walls and low-level barriers to resemble an earthen Wild West frontier town.

TT: In the theme of having a good time and outfoxing your opponent, let's talk Madness. This was your third year entering the arena’s March Madness tournament. What appeals to you about this tournament and what was the inspiration behind your Wild West fight with Jaycy?

MM: It's the betting, and getting to see so many different faces involved. It's like a month-long party in the rings, and everyone's invited. And Madness has its share of underdog stories -- and I love a good underdog story.

The shootout where the fearsome bandit Jaycy managed to get away from the long arm of the law? Mallory laughs. Practicality, first and foremost. I knew it wasn't a good idea for us to be clobbering each other, but I wanted to do something other than send in a proxy. We were looking at props in storage in the Arcade and it just seemed... perfect.

Question 7: Fashion
Insert Photo: A side-by-side of Mallory dressed as May Queen and as a model for Fashion Week: Jubilation.

TT: Speaking of you and Jaycy, you both featured in Fashion Week: Jubilation. Over the years we’ve seen you in some super-stellar outfits, both in and out of the duels. For example, your fabulous gown as May Queen a few years back to your recent modelling. What got you into fashion and how would you describe your personal style?

MM: Growing up, I wasn't always allowed to wear what I wanted, so once I could? Clothes became an important way to express myself. It's part of the reason I have so many tattoos, too! My personal style used to be a lot darker, but these days... it varies. I love symbols, so if I can think of a theme, I try to build on that. A Roman-inspired dress for the Ides of March -- or maybe just something red!

TT: Do you have a favourite tattoo? Or one that has a super neat story?

MM: Abraxas. The rooster-headed, snake-legged god on my chest. There’s no deep story behind it, other than it was my first big tattoo. It hurt like hell, more than any other I’d gotten; but after that I was really hooked.

Question 8: Family

TT: With these last few questions we’re going to get a bit more personal! Like that tattoo. Tell us a bit about who you consider family, and what they mean to you?

MM: My family includes my wife, Eri, my brother, Patrick my sisters, Penny and Sapphire, my sisters-in-law Saori and Mai, my mother-in-law Shiori, my father-in-law Roka, and Morgan LaFey. These aren't connections I was born with... They're all the result of choices. People I've chosen to love. And finding family is how I've survived RhyDin.

Question 9: Motherhood

TT: You will shortly be adding to that list of names! When are you due, and how are you and your wife, Eri Maeda, preparing for birth-and-beyond?

MM: I'm due the first week of May, after Beltane. We've arranged a substitute teacher at K.S.C.S., and talked to the sisters at the Perch about someone to take over my work at the bar for a while -- and the Lyceum will be in good hands with the co-owner, Safiya, while I'm on leave. We've set up the nursery, we've bought a lot of stuff we'll need, and gotten so much from everyone at the baby shower in Cadentia!

TT: I think you two are going to be great moms!

Question 10: For the Youth

TT: Last question. A lot of youth look up to you, and not just the ones at KSCS. What advice do you have for youth who are struggling, wayward, or feeling alone?

MM: I know it's said a lot, but know that you are not alone. You can survive this. If you don't have one, find a safe place, find people you can trust, and reach out to them.
@tippytop

A Tip-Top Gnome from Tip-to-Toe: I'm Your Tippletoe!
Tippletoe
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Cheer Captain

Tip Top Ten: Ballrooms and Dating

Post by Tippletoe »

Volume 1
Standard Issue 2

Tip Top Ten
Ballrooms & Dating with Regina Wellston
By Tippletoe Timbers

Full Page Photo: Tippletoe Timbers is being shown around the gorgeous Tranquility Ballroom by Regina Wellston, the gnome is admiring some of the fine workmanship and detailing.

If you haven’t heard already, the Tranquility Ballroom is hosting a Date Night Auction on April 1st, all proceeds going towards the Kabuki Street Community School. I met with the super-duper awesome-possum Regina Wellston to talk about the ballroom, the upcoming auction, and how she’s never had a bad date.

Question 1: About Regina
TT: Let’s find out about the woman behind the show, what are a few things our readers should know about the Regal and Redoubtable Regina Wellston?

RW: There’s not much to tell really. I’m just a simple musician who enjoys providing the city with a place to gather and celebrate all of life’s achievements. I’ve written songs that have topped music charts five years in a row and was nominated for a Grammy award once.

Question 2: About the Ballroom
TT: The Tranquility Ballroom has been listed as #7 in RhyDin Features: Fancy Functions. Tell us about the history of the ballroom and your efforts to re-open it.

RW: The building the ballroom is in is one that I’ve owned for a very very long time. Originally I purchased it for the acoustics the ballroom and stage provided. I had intended to use it as a place to write my music, but eventually it was turned into a night club. When I returned to town, I had the inspiration to remodel the place and for some reason a ballroom just seemed to fit. So, here we are!

Question 3: KSCS
TT: Your upcoming auction is to benefit the KSCS. How did you get involved with this local K-12 school?

RW: Mallory Maeda is a good friend and has always spoken so highly of the school. Knowing how much the school means to her and to others that I am close to, I jumped at the opportunity to help.

Question 4: Date Auctions
TT: What’s the idea behind a Date Night Auction - how does it work?

RW: The idea of a date night auction is to try to give people a chance to get to know others that they might not normally have a chance to meet. It’s an opportunity to bring people together in a fun and unique way all while raising money for a great cause.

Question 5: Headliners
TT: Out of all the people who have signed up to go on auction, who are some of your headliners? What makes them special?

RW: Oh it’s very hard to choose just one. All of our entrants have their own special talents and attributes. It would be extremely difficult to narrow it down to just a few.

Question 6: Why People Should Go
TT: Aside from bidding on a date, what else can patrons expect from the Date Night Auction?

RW: There will be great food and drinks provided by The Red Orc Brewery, The antics of those being auctioned should provide plenty of comedy along with the bidding wars we are sure are going to go on. We encourage anyone to attend whether they want to bid or not there’s going to be plenty of opportunity to socialize and simply enjoy the night amongst good company.

Question 7: Worst Dates
TT: Speaking of dates, what is the worst date you’ve ever been on?

RW: I would like to think that there isn’t a date that is bad. If there’s a chance that you get to spend some time with someone, outside of our normal day to day, how can it be bad?

Question 8: Best Date
TT: What’s the best date you’ve been on?

RW: It would have to be the one where I helped foal a baby unicorn.

Question 9: Dating Tips
TT: What are your top three tips for entering the dating scene?

RW: Be yourself. Be honest. Be picky you deserve the best.

Question 10: Who Has Regina’s Heart?
TT: Last, but not least, if you could have a date with anyone in the city, who would it be, and why?

RW: Jebediah Jones because he already has my heart.

Now go to the Tranquility Ballroom Action on April 1st! This is no joke! It’s gonna be amazing!
@tippytop

Tippletoe
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Cheer Captain

Tip Top Ten: Ways to Prepare for Beltane

Post by Tippletoe »

Volume 1
Standard Issue 3

Tip Top Ten
Ways to Prepare for Beltane
By Tippletoe Timbers

Full Page Photo: A vibrant photo of the 2020 Fires of Beltane, with notable personages such as Saila, Yeardley Owens, Jewell Ravenlock, Koyan, and Aiden in the wide-camera shot of a roaring fire and revellers dancing.

The season of Beltane is upon us! At the edge of the wilds, upon the borders of Battlefield Park, is a mirror where you can whisper your choice for May Queen. While the courts of the Wild Fae decide who our Lady and Queen will be, I, your Troubadour of the Wayward Court, minstrel to the Empress Jewell Ravenlock, Fiddler of the Fair Folk, have collected the best tidbits and morsels of advice for this festive season. Follow my Top Ten Tips to enjoy the blessings of flirtatious and festive revelry with minimal regret!

Tip #1: Celebrating the Great Wedding!
Dress your best, whatever your best might be! Green and bright colours are especially appropriate, as are flower crowns. Stay out all night, go A-Maying, watch the sunrise, and wash your face with the fresh morning dew.

Tip #2: Fire Friendly Fabrics
When it comes to the Fires of Beltane, you can jump alone or with a lover. If leaping through flames isn’t your thing, you can move through the fire or dance clockwise around it. Either way, you should pay close attention to what you wear! Some fabrics are more flammable than others.

What to Avoid? Silk, Nylon, Polyester, or Acrylic! Silk is the worst fabric for catching on fire, especially if it’s a full, loose garment with dyes. The other three fabrics are slow to ignite, but if they do, your clothing will melt and drip causing severe burns. Ouch! No amount of May Dew is going to help your third-degree burn.

If you wear cotton and linen, make sure you stop by the Lyceum or a similar establishment for a flame resistant charm.

The best thing to wear? Merino wool. Wool is naturally flame resistant and can even self extinguish. Merino wool is the softest, most comfortable thing to wear, especially as the night cools off. I recommend Woo Land in the Cadentia Bazaar. I’ll be wearing the New Haven Wrap in Wisteria Purple.

Tip #3: Essential Items
There are a few must-have items required for Beltane, especially the crowning of the May Queen. I recommend the following:
  • Crystals (bloodstone, emerald, rose quartz, jade, rhodonite, selenite, serpentine, moss agate, moonstone, and sunstone), charms, or talismans.
  • Flower wreaths (Go to the Solarium on April 27th at 8 PM ET for all the supplies and support you need).
  • An offering to hang on a tree (e.g. a tiny mirror, ribbon, cloth banner, or bell).
  • Your favourite incense or smudging herb (e.g. frankincense, mugwort, anise, lavender, oil of rose).
  • Music maker (drum, flute, rattle, tambourine, skirt that jingles).
  • A sarong or a pareo! This will go everywhere with you. It will serve as a sun shield, yoga mat, dancing scarf, picnic blanket, knapsack, and many other functions during the Beltane festivities.
  • Food or drink to share! And plenty of water for yourself (see Tip #9 - HYDRATE).
  • Money for the vendors! The vendors take all kinds of RhyDin currency, though the standard noble is preferred.

Tip #4: Faerie Circles
Flowers, mushrooms, standing stones -- if they make a circle, steer clear, especially this time of year! Will-o-wisps and illusions may try to trick you into entering a ring unaware, so if you are traveling in the woods with someone, try not to lose sight of them, and don't assume someone is who you think they are if you meet them out there! Unwary travelers have lost days, weeks, or even years in the realm of Faerie by entering a circle.

Tip #5: Following the Path
The realm of Faerie and the Wilds themselves are teeming with lights that are not what they seem, leading people astray from their paths by accident or by design! If you see a light in the woods, do not move towards it unless you are sure that it is what you are looking for. Lights that hover, dance, move away from you, or do not seem to get any closer should be avoided! Follow the torch-lit path to the Fires of Beltane, stick close to anyone you are travelling with, and do NOT take shortcuts. The glow of a bonfire you see beyond the trees may be other beings holding a Beltane celebration of their own, one you have not been invited to!

Tip #6: Cleansing Bath Ritual
Whether you go to the Fires of Beltane, or celebrate in a more solitary fashion, a cleansing bath with a Beltane Goddess Bath Altar will help you discover and harness your natural beauty. Start with a generous helping of sea salt, adding some herbs (I suggest you use a lovely tea filter), and a few drops (or more) of high quality essential oil(s). Consider including scented candles, mirrors, and wildflowers such as Wisteria, Dandelion, Garden Roses or Cherry Blossoms.

Tip #7: Pre-Beltane Workout
If you plan on jumping the fires, make sure your hips and core are strong so you can land safely on the other side. We recommend a few exercises involving squats, box jumps, broad jumps, and kettlebell swings. You can also visit the Twilight market for charms that will give you a temporary boost to help you clear the flames!

Tip #8: Mind Your Manners!
Another tip that is useful any time of year, but now especially: be courteous but careful with strangers! Especially for those you meet in the woods or coming from them, do not ask for their name and think carefully about the one you give them if they volunteer their own. If you fear you have offended someone, beg their pardon but take care of apologizing in other terms. You do not want to incur a debt! And vendors, take care that you are not overpaid, for the same reason!

Tip #9: HYDRATE!
So you might be asking, is this really necessary? As a Beltane tip??? YES! Whether you're imbibing fae wine, or the only spirit you're enjoying is the spirit of the season, dancing the night away -- especially around bonfires! -- takes its toll. If you can't take a bottle, canteen, or waterskin with you, make a habit of getting a glass whenever you get another drink, go to the restroom, or step away from the party for any other reason. Delivery and takeaway are BIG the day after Beltane; save yourself the headache and the hit to your wallet and HYDRATE!

P.S. If you did not take this advice and find yourself with a legendary Beltane hangover, bacon sandwiches, a pot of tea, and a nice long nap will have you feeling right as rain in time for Sunday's Beltane Parade!

Tip #10: Wish Box Charms
Collect all the necessities for a wish box charm! A small shallow box, rose petals, sunflower or poppy seeds, paper or parchment, a piece of willow bark or an acorn or an oak leaf, and something to represent your wish. Some suggestions include gingerbread for love or marriage, cinnamon sticks for happiness or good luck, or a sprig of rosemary for those seeking truth. Write your wish, wait for a cleansing rainfall, then plant your wish box with an appropriate charm or incantation.

The Ultimate Tip: Make Good Choices!
Whether it’s your choice for the handfasting, your choice of fabric, your choice of charms or essential items, or your choice for how much spring dandelion wine to drink that night –make only the best choices!

May the Goddess of Beltane smile upon you all!

--- END ---
OOC: Thank you to the players of Mallory Maeda and Colleen MacLeod for their assistance with this article! <3 you both!
@tippytop

Tippletoe
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Cheer Captain

Tip Top Ten: EXCLUSIVE Interview with May Queen Alexia Longbow

Post by Tippletoe »

Volume 1
Standard Issue 4

Tip Top Ten
Meet Your May Queen! An EXCLUSIVE Interview with Alexia Longbow

By Tippletoe Timbers

Full Page Photo: Alexia Longbow is touring Tippletoe Timbers around The Stem. This cute little flower shop sits on a busy street in Old Market. Alexia, her dark hair loose around the shoulders, is gently holding a spring bouquet of pink roses, yellow button pom, and lavender daisy poms. Tippletoe is leaning in to smell the fragrance.

While the official celebrations of Beltane have come to a close, the duties and blessing of the May Queen abound throughout the year! This year, at the Fires of Beltane, the spirits of the Wilds crowned Alexia Longbow as our May Queen!

Readers will learn about her background, her love of books, her power to heal and comfort, and the Green Man she calls family. It is with great honour that I present Alexia Longbow in this issue of Tip Top Ten!

Question 1: Beltane
TT: Let’s start with something easy, Beltane! What was your favourite part of Beltane this year? How did you celebrate?

AL: Oh! Ah… Well, this was my first Beltane that I didn’t spend at home, so… I would have to say, celebrating with my friends and loved ones was my favorite part.

TT: How did you celebrate with your friends and loved ones?

AL: Oh, there was a lot of laughing and dancing, quite a bit of refreshments, to be honest.

Question 2: Becoming the Queen
TT: Congratulations on becoming the May Queen! Tell us about the naming, when you appeared in the mirror, what was going through your mind and heart?

AL: Thank you, it was quite the surprise. I was just happy to be there with Danny and I remember thinking how lucky I was to have him in my life.

Question 3: The Green Man
TT: Now, your Green Man! Who is he, and what is your relationship with him?

AL: Ah, that was an easy choice. Danny Dubek, my boyfriend of just under a year. He’s a writer and he takes pictures with his device... A camera? If I remember correctly. He’s very talented. He’s sweet and funny and so smart. He’s wonderful and he makes me so happy.

TT: Awe, you two sound so cute! How did you meet him?

AL: We first met four years ago at a Humility First counter protest, but then I… We lost touch for a while. We reconnected last year when he came back into town and, well… it get’s a touch complicated, but we’ve essentially been together ever since.

Question 4: The Fae
TT: From what I have researched, you have some connection to the Fae. What is your relationship to the Fae? Are you Fae yourself? Do you have connections with a Court?

AL: I’m not certain what my lineage is, exactly. I do remember my mother had wings and I think my father was part elf. My late uncle was a mage and used to tell me of the long line of mages in our family as well. As far as the Court is concerned, I have no reason to believe they would have any interest in me.

Question 5: From Whence Comes the Queen?
TT: We want to get to know you a bit more! Where do you hail from? Where do you call home? Who do you name as family and kin?

AL: I was born here in RhyDin. I’ve never known another place. I… I’m sorry, I wish I could tell you more about my family, but there isn’t a lot I remember about them. But I’ve quickly learned family can be chosen and I’ve found that in Danny.

TT: RhyDin is definitely a place of many chosen families! What does it mean, to you, to be ‘family’?

AL: I’m still learning as I go along, but I’ve definitely come to realize that family means wanting to share in life’s beautiful moments but not shying away from the difficult ones either. It means feeling safe and whole and loved.

Question 6: Defining Moments
TT: Share with us one of your defining moments. Something from your past that has made you, you.

AL: Oh, I… I don’t know if… I think looking forward, looking to the future and the endless possibilities it holds is better suited to who I am.

TT: Ah! Absolutely! Then I shall change the question. What characteristics about you will define your future moments, the endless possibilities?

AL: I… used to be afraid. Of everything. I let fear hold me back and keep me from experiencing anything, good or bad. Now, well, I’m still afraid, but I’m more afraid of falling back on experiencing nothing. I want to see what I’m capable of and what my limitations are.

Question 7: The Power of your Queen
TT: What aid might you give to those who seek the blessings of the May Queen?

AL: A blessing? From me? Oh… well, I suppose they would only need to ask. I’m happy to do what I can to help someone in need. Especially if they are hurt or ill or grieving.

TT: How would you help the ill or the grieving?

AL: I’m an empathic healer. If they were willing, I would take it all into myself. Or I would just listen for however long they needed.

Question 8: Queenly Advice
TT: What counsel would you give someone seeking a new beginning this spring?

AL: It is never too late to start something new. It might be difficult and it may take time, but if it’s something you truly desire, it can be done.

Question 9: Duties of the Queen
TT: I heard you participated in the Great Hunt. Why did you decide to join such a dangerous adventure?

AL: I really didn’t do much. I could see a lot of it from where I was sitting on my garden wall. It was difficult to watch many of my friends put their lives and safety in harm’s way, but it was only when I thought one of them was gravely injured that I… well, I didn’t really think about it. It wasn’t until I was already running that I realized I had moved at all.

TT: It sounds like you were moved by true compassion. In what other ways do you expect to serve as the May Queen?

AL: In truth, I’m not really sure. I never expected to be May Queen, much less what it would entail. I suppose I would simply do my best at whatever might be expected of me and help next year’s May Queen feel as honored and celebrated as I did.

Question 10: Books and Brews
TT: Now to finish off, a fun hypothetical! If someone were to find you at Books and Brews what kind of book would you be reading, what tea might you be drinking, and what kind of cookie or pastry would be on your plate?

AL: Oh, well… Let me see, I would probably be translating an older text. I almost always order blueberry tea, and Eärendil usually has a recommendation for me. Lately, I’ve been enjoying the pistachio muffins.

TT: What sort of older texts do you read? Histories? Lore? Magic? Stories?

AL: Yes. All of it, anything I can find. I love books. I love to read them over and over and I love to discover new ones or ones I haven’t read yet.
@tippytop

Return to “RhyDin Media Center”