The Bright Fire Baron's Gauntlet for New Haven - [complete!]

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Conner Reid
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

The Bright Fire Baron's Gauntlet for New Haven - [complete!]

Post by Conner Reid »

The Arena is pleased to announce...

The Bright Fire Baron’s Gauntlet Round Robin for New Haven!

Please see the important format update below!

In honor of Beltane, the Arena is pleased to announce a one-night only Bright Fire Barons’ Gauntlet in order to determine who should fill the recently retired title of New Haven!

On May 7, 2020 at 8pm, any challenger interested in becoming the new Baron of New Haven will have the rare opportunity to pursue the title. Each challenger will face a gauntlet of three current titleholders! Challengers must win at least two of the three fights to be in the running for the title.

The Challengers

The barony is open to all active duelers who are not currently titleholders. To be eligible, potential challengers need only be currently active on the standings and not of the rank of Baron or Overlord. Duelers interested in challenging should sign-up by responding here in the event thread.

The Defenders

Any titleholder interested in defending the title may do so. Barons should sign-up their interest in being a defender by responding here in the event thread.

The Gauntlets

Sign-ups will close on Wednesday, May 5th at midnight ET. If there are more than three defenders, the challenger gauntlets will be randomly chosen, with the goal of ensuring that every volunteering titleholder gets a chance to help defend the title. If there are more challengers than defenders, defenders may be asked to fight more than once. If there are insufficient defenders, Arena staff may provide additional assistance.

A schedule will be posted before the night of the event so each challenger and defender will know in advance who they will be facing and in what order.

The Title

The title will be awarded to any challenger who wins all three of their fights! If there are two challengers who go 3-0, they will face each other in a duel-off for the title. If there are more than two, the top two PFPA* scores will face-off.

If only 2-1 challengers are left standing at the end of the night, they are still in the running for the ring! The winning titleholder will then be the challenger with the best PFPA record.

If there is only a single challenger signed up to attempt the gauntlet, then the challenger must still be successful (at least two wins) to win the title. If they fail, the barony will remain vacant and future plans for the title will be announced.

*PFPA is the sum of points scored for the challenger minus the sum of points scored against the challenger, divided by the number of duels fought.

The Bright Fire Barons’ Gauntlet

The event will be held on the historic grounds of the famed New Haven landmark, the Gateway to the Wilds. This historic lodge gained its reputation as a staging area for trekkers about to plunge into the depths of The Wilds! The grand lobby with its vaulted ceilings and ample rustic seating is lined with photographs and paintings of adventurers captured just before setting out---some who never returned. According to legend, Aleta Grimsnatch wrote her acclaimed memoirs, Legends of the Rhydinian Wilds from the lodge’s upper balcony.

On the night of the event, the grassy back of the lodge will be lined and lit only with torchlight. Rings have been set-up for all the fighters participating in the gauntlet, while great spectating views can be found on the porch and balcony of the historic lodge where comfortable seating including tables and chairs as well as cushioned loveseats and armchairs abound.

Food and drink will be on hand for those participating and those just coming to enjoy the Bright Fires of the Barons’ Gauntlet!

(( Sign-ups for this event are now open! Because of the unique nature of this event, no late-entries or walk-ons will be allowed. Sign-ups will close on Wednesday, May 5th at midnight ET. We ask everyone to try to arrive five minutes in advance the night of the event. Any questions may be directed to DoS staff. We look forward to seeing you there! ))
Ebon Ilnaren
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black Knight

Re: The Bright Fire Baron's Gauntlet for New Haven

Post by Ebon Ilnaren »

I'll put my name up for this. I've seen that lodge across the trail from my fences for years but I've never visited it, so if nothing else, this will give me an opportunity to rectify that.

Ebon Ilnaren
Anubis Karos
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Anubis Karos »

This might be what I need to cast away my malaise. I will enter.

~Anubis Karos
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I tried for New Haven one way, this might be a good way to get it! Add my name.

Colleen MacLeod
Strawberry
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of Air & Darkness

Post by Strawberry »

I'd like to try.

Conner Reid
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Conner Reid »

UPDATE!

As we seem to be short on available and interested baron defenders, the format for this event will be changing. Instead of a Baron's Gauntlet, we will be awarding the Barony of New Haven to the winner of a Round Robin tournament!

The Bright Fire Round Robin Tournament for New Haven

On Friday May 7, 2021 at 8:30ET (note the new time!), anyone interested in fighting for the title of New Haven will gather at the famed Gateway to the Wilds for a one-night-only opportunity to walk away with a baronial ring!

The eligibility remains the same -- you need only be an active dueler to go for the title! All duelers will fight at rank.

We are capping this tournament at six (6) entrants! If you've already signed up, there's no need to do so again. Sign-ups will continue to be on a first-come-first-served basis. If we reach six advance entrants, we will welcome anyone to sign up for the stand-by line. If we have fewer than six entrants at the time of the tournament, we will welcome walk-ons also on a first-come-first-served basis.

We look forward to seeing you there, raising a drink with us, and watching some good fighting!

((If you have any questions about the new format, please feel free to message DoS staff members! Please note the later start time at 8:30ET! Sign-ups will close at Wednesday, May 5th at midnight ET!))
Conner Reid
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Conner Reid »

The Bright Fire Barons’ Gauntlet

The event will be held on the historic grounds of the famed New Haven landmark, the Gateway to the Wilds. This historic lodge gained its reputation as a staging area for trekkers about to plunge into the depths of The Wilds! The grand lobby with its vaulted ceilings and ample rustic seating is lined with photographs and paintings of adventurers captured just before setting out---some who never returned. According to legend, Aleta Grimsnatch wrote her acclaimed memoirs, Legends of the Rhydinian Wilds from the lodge’s upper balcony.

On the night of the event, the grassy back of the lodge will be lined and lit only with torchlight. Rings have been set-up for all the fighters participating in the gauntlet, while great spectating views can be found on the porch and balcony of the historic lodge where comfortable seating including tables and chairs as well as cushioned loveseats and armchairs abound.

Food and drink will be on hand for those participating and those just coming to enjoy the Bright Fires of the Barons’ Gauntlet!

Come out for the fights, stay for the food...

Celebrate Beltane in Gateway to the Wilds style.

Spring beef and potato stew

Spring greens salad

Savory hand pies: ham & cheese; wild leek & potato; spinach & artichoke

Spring lamb with roast vegetables

Traditional bannock bread

Honey comb treats

Lemon ricotta cheesecake
Gren Blockman
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Gren Blockman »

I'm free this evening, so I'd like to sign up!
Neekylah Lang
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Neekylah Lang »

It's been a minute, but I'm up for a challenge. Sign me up!
Conner Reid
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Conner Reid »

We had six fighters come out for this here tournament! They all fought each other, round-robin style, and wound up with the following final records:

Runt 4-1
Anubis Karos 4-1
Karma Armstrong 3-2
Colleen MacLeod 2-3
Neekylah Lang 1-4
Gren Blockman 1-4

With identical records, Runt and Anubis set off for a final match. Since Runt beat Anubis during the round robin, he only needed a single win to take the title, while Anubis needed to win two in a row.

Anubis jumped out to an early lead and steadily built upon it. It took him ten rounds to get to matchpoint against the hardy Runt who held him at bay as best he could. But once at matchpoint, Runt began to turn the fight around. He scored three unanswered points to force the match to sudden death! But in the end it was Runt, who with a mighty throw of his spear, took the win and the barony!

FINAL: Runt def. Anubis Karos, 5 - 4 in 16 rounds.

Well-tried everyone! Congratulations to Runt, the new baron of New Haven!

Return to “The Arena”