Umbra School of Magical Arts - Enrollment & Information (Open)

Events and announcements from the enchanted isle of the Duel of Magic.

Moderator: Staff

Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Umbra School of Magical Arts - Enrollment & Information (Open)

Post by Claire Gallows »

((This thread will be used for enrollment, information, and general day to day posts for USoMA. Feel free to post here or under individual House threads (soon to be posted). Enrollment is open to characters between the ages of 5 and 18. Some exceptions may be granted on a case by case basis. You can enroll PC or NPC kids either by post or DM to Claire Gallows.

Jump to Enrollment
Jump to Classes
Jump to House Shadowcast
Jump to House Ollavan
Jump to House Van Bokkelen
Jump to House Gallows))

The Umbra School of Magical Arts
Motto: A solis ortu usque ad occasum - from sunrise to sunset

Established under the charter of the Twilight Isle Development Endowment and opening on September 1st, 2020, the Umbra School of Magical Arts (USoMA) is a school dedicated to the study of the arcane arts. USoMA is intended for students between the ages of 5 and 18. Full and half day schedules are available for those wishing to pair classes at USoMA with conventional education elsewhere. Tuition is based on an income contingent sliding scale with need based scholarships offered by the Twilight Isle Development Endowment. USoMA’s home is Cosmos Keep, located on the southwestern edge of Twilight Isle.

Cosmos Keep

Previously hidden behind a veil of magically amplified darkness on the southwestern edge of Twilight Isle, construction has been underway for much longer than anyone may have realized. Commencing shortly after the end of the Trial of Light and Dark, construction of a large stone castle is nearing completion. The foundation of the castle sits back from the shore by a mere fifty yards, allowing it to be touched by the tides as they come and go. High above the thick, solid foundation, the castle itself rises an additional seven stories. It boasts a number of turrets and towers and the goblins that helped with the construction speak of possible dungeons and tunnels beneath as well. A zig-zagging staircase leads up to an enclosed courtyard. Here, several greenhouses grow herbs and other plants used in the study of alchemy and potion making. At the end of the courtyard, a pair of massive mahogany doors greet students and visitors alike to the grand entrance hall. The castle is divided from there into a number of classrooms and other facilities including four dormitory spaces, a dining hall, and several libraries.

Students are divided into four houses, not unlike similar schools of magic. Each house boasts its own dormitory space, complete with bedrooms, bathrooms, and a communal recreation space. Due to Twilight Isle’s proximity to Rhy’Din City via portal, dormitory use is not compulsory and students can choose whether they wish to live at school or at home with a parent or guardian. House dormitories are located in the cardinal towers (NESW). Students provide their house preferences upon enrollment and dependent upon entrance interviews and current enrollment, they will be sorted accordingly. House preference is not a guarantee of entrance into your house of choice.

The four houses are named after the first four All Elemental Tower Holders; Vanion Shadowcast, Xanth VanBokkelen, Mur Ollavan, and Claire Gallows.

Notable Locations:

West Library: The Red Arcanaeum
East Library: The Regulus Library
The Courtyard: The Chthonic Solarium, nicknamed The Doghouse
Astronomy & Astrology tower’s Observatory: The Sublime Memorial Observatory of Avitoria
The Dueling Pitch: The Janella Vallonia Arcane Battlegrounds

Echobearer Scholarships:

The King-Farron Scholarship
The Maeda Scholarship
The Blackthorne Forging Knowledge Scholarship

Scholarship consideration is based on merit and financial need. Other grants and scholarships available from TIDE as needed.

Uniform:

*Uniforms are not restricted by gender in any capacity.
Last edited by Claire Gallows on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Re: Umbra School of Magical Arts - Enrollment & Information (Open)

Post by Claire Gallows »

Classes:

Full time students should select up to 5 regular classes and up to 3 optional classes per term. Part time students should select up to 3 regular classes and 1 optional class per term.

Potions
Astronomy & Astrology
Alchemy
Herbalism
Ethics in Magic
Defense Against Dark Magic
History of Twilight Isle
Divination
Magical Languages
Dueling - Magic

Optional studies include:
Dueling - Unarmed
Dueling - Armed
Magical Transportation
Mundane Studies
Psionics & Counterpsionics
Care of Magical Creatures
Last edited by Claire Gallows on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

Staff:

Administrators:
Headmistress: Nimue Thornheart - 35 y/o - Female - Human Witch
Deputy Headmaster: Dashiel Tempest - 29 y/o - Male - Human Witch

House Heads:
House Shadowcast - Lucian Cane (Ethics in Magic Professor)
House Ollavan - Gealilea Cynke (Alchemy Professor)
House Van Bokkelen - Mythanar Balsandoral (Librarian)
House Gallows - Mnaefra (Defense Against Dark Magic Professor)

Teachers:
Potions - Kulgrim Hornstone - 40 y/o - Male - Dwarf
Astronomy & Astrology - Orphyse Seliphite - 988 y/o - Female - Lamia
Alchemy - Gealilea Cynke (House Ollavan Head) - 56 y/o - Female - Goblin
Herbalism - Helianthi Melas - 88 y/o - Female - Anthousai
Ethics in Magic - Lucian Cane (House Shadowcast Head) - 32 y/o - Male - Human (Warlock)
Defense Against Dark Magic - Mnaefra (House Gallows Head) - 837 y/o - Female - Drakaina
History of Twilight Isle - Renestrae Fenra - 299 y/o - Female - Wood Elf
Divination - Cadriel Telantes - Ageless - Nonbinary - Seraphim
Magical Languages - Zedhu Firegaze - 8000+ y/o - Male - Ifrit/Djinn
Magical Transportation - Qrin Hazeguard - 12 y/o - Male - Kobold
Mundane Studies - Kalmartut Avant - Ageless - Male - Rakshasa
Psionics & Counterpsionics - Vesera Mombry - 705 y/o - Female - Gorgon
Care of Magical Creatures - Bartholomew the Blue - 65 y/o - Male - Human

Non-Teacher Staff:
Librarian - Mythanar Balsandoral (House Van Bokkelen Head) - 319 y/o - Male - Highborn Elf
Groundskeeper - Luitgard - 53 y/o - Female - Human
Sentries - Raimo, Sashura, Olek, and Rose - Ageless - Genderless - Automatons

Spirits/Guardians:
The Smiling Lady - House Van Bokkelen Ghost. Haunts the Library, most often seen during thunderstorms, smells of tea, helps students find the books they need
Shepherd - Keeper of the Halls, he helps students find their way and ensures they aren’t out past curfew
The Laughing Shadow - Nevermore than just a shade, the shadow’s laughter is said to be a precursor to coming change both good and bad.
Bowne the Barbarian - House Gallows Ghost. Said to have been a member of the Wild Hunt, he rides across the grounds in a never ending chase. Sometimes terrorizes the students too.
Airielle Apaera - House Shadowcast Ghost. The spirit of a lovely golden elf, she drifts like a breeze through the halls and is most often seen near the top of the East Tower.
Vitali - House Ollavan Ghost. A trickster spirit known for illusory tricks meant to confuse and befuddle students and teachers alike.
Last edited by Claire Gallows on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

Enrollment:

To enroll, please fill out the following for yourself or your child;
Student Name:
Student Age:
Student Pronouns:
Student Parent or Guardian Name:
Magic Experience (Choose One): Beginner/Innate - Intermediate - Advanced
Schedule (Choose One): Half Day - Full Day
House Preference (Order 1-4):
__ Shadowcast
__ Ollavan
__ Van Bokkelen
__ Gallows
*Please note, preference is not a guarantee for house assignment and may differ according to admission interviews
((Enrollment can be posted to this thread or sent via DM to Claire Gallows))
Last edited by Claire Gallows on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

Announcement: The Fall 2020 term begins on September 14th and concludes on December 18th. Please complete enrollment before September 13th.

The Spring 2021 term begins on January 11th and concludes on May 14th. 2nd term enrollment closes January 10th, 2021.
Voidwalker
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Voidwalker »

Student Name: Kali Black
Student Age: 16
Student Pronouns: She/Her
Student Parent or Guardian Name: None
Magic Experience (Choose One): Intermediate
Schedule (Choose One): Full
House Preference (Order 1-4): I don't know. Is there a test I should take?
__ Shadowcast
__ Ollavan
__ Van Bokkelen
__ Gallows
*Please note, preference is not a guarantee for house assignment and may differ according to admission interviews
Last edited by Voidwalker on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nako Iijima
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Nako Iijima »

Student Name: Nako Iijima
Student Age: 18
Student Pronouns: She/Her
Student Parent or Guardian Name: Izumi Takamine, Na-rae Takamine
Schedule (Choose One): Half Day - Full Day
House Preference (Order 1-4): I'd like to be sorted.
Desdenova VonTombs
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Never more than a few steps from his guardians and family

Post by Desdenova VonTombs »

Siblings~

"I'll go," Desdenova volunteered, unexpectedly. Pharlen paused as she served a spoonful of potatoes to her husband, glancing to Jack with a quirk of brow. He just shrugged faintly.

"You'll go," Pharlen echoed, sitting back and regarding the boy keenly, tilting her glasses to peer at him, "What about your job at the Lyceum?"

"You're not going to double up with that, it's too stressful," Jack put in before Desdenova could say anything.

"Well, then I guess I'd have to quit there," Desdenova drawled, biting his lower lip. But he nodded a moment later, glancing at his little sister, Alice, "But it's okay, when I go back, I'll know more."

"This school won't care if you're thirteen for a long while," Pharlen added, "It's here. RhyDin."

"I know."

"If you're going to do this, you have to commit for at least a year, alright?" Jack put in. Desdenova nodded, then shrugged.

"I don't want a repeat of the Hogwart's debacle," Pharlen warned. Jackie chortled into her milk, then tried to look innocent when both of her parents eyed her. Desdenova sighed, put upon.

"That totally wasn't my fault, and anyhow, they should have better wards."

"You need a better cover story, that one's getting thin," Jack scoffed, amused, "So, what will Alice need to go to Umbra?"

"A familiar, I'm sure," Pharlen mulled, eying the girl. Alice beamed. She was about seven, or seemed so, with black curls, pale skin, and big blue eyes.

"Then Des can get her prepped for class and talk to Mallory," Jack decided with a chuckle.

~~~~~~~

"This is a big place," Alice noted quietly as she walked along with her brother, holding his hand very tightly. Her eyes were huge as she took in the grand halls and soaring architecture. "I don't want to get lost."

"Don't worry. Once you get your schedule, I'll cast a pathfinder for you," Desdenova responded. Alice eyed him, uncertain. She bit her lower lip, then shook her head. He eyed her, confused.

"No. I can find my own way," she informed him, lifting her chin.

"Okay. But maybe get mom to give you a cel phone before you decide that you're Miss Independent, because if you get lost, and Mom can't find you, this place is going to get one heck of a shake down," he reminded the girl with a grin. Alice scoffed softly.

"Let's just see if our class schedule is ready, and then maybe tour the dorm things. But I don't want to stay over."

"Hn. Kind of seems cool. But pretty sure Mom will not let me stay over anyhow. So. Yep. Let's roll," Desdenova agreed with a laugh.

Alice cautiously ventured to house Shadowcast, leaving her brother waiting in a wide lobby. The place was big. But her class schedule was posted. She cheerfully took a copy, then found herself being given the grand tour by one of the older students.

"Herbalism, Magical Languages, Divination, Care of Magical Animals, and Mundane studies," Alice explained, showing her list. It all sounded interesting to her.

Desdenova, on the other hand, spent several minutes deciphering the day's puzzle to get into the doors of Von Bokkelen. He ended up on a quick tour of the tower as well, however, he was able to grab his schedule until the end. He walked back out, reading.

"Potions, Astronomy and Astrology, Alchemy, Ethics in Magic, Divination, and Psionics and Counter-Psionics," he murmured, looking up and around. He spotted Alice as she left the Shadowcast tower, and waved to her. Once more catching his sister's hand, they walked for the doorway.
The Oracle
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by The Oracle »

Student Name: Meira Waters
Student Age: 16
Student Pronouns: she/her
Student Parent or Guardian Name: Thad Waters
Schedule (Choose One): Full Day
House Preference (Order 1-4):
4 Shadowcast
3 Ollavan
1 Van Bokkelen
2 Gallows
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

((Added NPCs to each of the houses. If you see a name that catches your eye and you'd like to make them into a student, let me know!))

House Gallows
House Van Bokkelen
House Ollavan
House Shadowcast

PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

The brief note was written in a formal script and addressed to Headmistress Nimue Thornheart:

Headmistress Thornheart,

I am interested in enrolling my youngest child, Madison Fenner, age 8, in your half day program. Madison has been attending Harker's Academy along with her twin sister, Abby. (Abby now goes half days to Dragon's Gate Sword School.) Maddie is adept with magical creatures, is a budding empath, and has shown signs of other abilities.

Maddie is sometimes mistaken for being slow witted because she doesn't hear well. Unfortunately, this is all too common a problem for people with that disability and others. What provisions are in place for students that have hearing impairments?

What can I do to help her transition into the new environment as her current teachers are all family members. Like other parents of children with learning or physical disabilities, I have become overly protective of her. She's ready to spread her wings some and should have that chance.

Sincerely,

Colleen MacLeod
Nimue Thornheart
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Nimue Thornheart »

But a few scant hours later, a response found its way back to Colleen;

Lady MacLeod,

I was heartened to receive your missive this afternoon and thank you for taking the time to reach out to me. It's wonderful to hear that Miss Madison, or Maddie if she prefers, is looking to expand her horizons and I do believe that you will find USoMA to be a suiting fit for her needs. In addition to our standard offerings to hone magical potential, we supplement our students' needs with a number of support resources. Classrooms have been enchanted to support real-time captioning or if she would be more comfortable utilizing a sign language interpreter, we have two on staff available to assist. All lessons are also recorded and available to all students for replay to ensure nobody misses out. Magically inclined para-educators are also available on a one-on-one or small group basis for individualized assistance as well.

In my experience, I find that those with differing physical capabilities often times turn out to be my most successful learners of magical arts as they already have the advantage of approaching life and learning from a perspective most cannot.

We would more than welcome you and your family to tour our facility and speak directly with those who would be involved in Maddie's time here. Our students come from a number of backgrounds and my goal is to be accommodating to each of their needs. Should you feel it needed, I would even be more than happy to help transition Maddie into classes gradually with accompaniment from someone she is comfortable and familiar with, be it family, friend, or other companion.

You mentioned Maddie's affinity for magical creatures. We encourage our students to cultivate these relationships by way of familiar or pet if they so wish and often times these friends tag along to classes with many of our students. If this might make Maddie more comfortable moving into a new classroom space, we more than welcome it.

I do hope this helps ease your apprehension but should you find you have any additional follow-up questions or would like to schedule a time to drop by for a chat or a tour, enclosed is my direct line. Don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerest regards,

Nimue Thornheart
Headmistress
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

Umbra Winter Formal

Held on the same night as the Magic Masquerade, the Umbra Winter Formal will run from 6pm-11pm by the Eastern Clock for all students. This will be a chaperoned event with adult supervision for all students and students under twelve should retire no later than 10pm. Fireworks can be viewed at 11pm from the dorms and both towers for those not at the dance.

Dinner, snacks, and (non-alcoholic) drinks will be available for all students.

The Oracle
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by The Oracle »

Meira's outfit for the winter formal;

Voidwalker
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Voidwalker »

Kali had no expectations when it came to joining the festivities of the Winter Formal until the morning of the dance. As the mail came through various the methods during breakfast she was surprised to receive a wide box with a letter attached to it.

You can't miss your first dance.
- A

Nestled inside the box was the attire she wore that very same evening.

Return to “Twilight Isle”